Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Yes, I saw that! I've been talking to people at work about the case and keeping them updated, whether they want it or not, and one of my coworkers literally just asked me for updates right before that was announced. 

From what I gather, the Mounties do not always release a lot of info on investigations, but they are saying once they wrap this one up, probably in a few weeks, and notify victim families, they will be releasing more information to the public. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Thanks for thinking of me.  I'm ok now, but recently went through a really bad cycle of depression, and I'm just getting my head above water in the last few weeks.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Depression is so overwhelming at times. Hope life looks brighter soon. We’ll be waiting for you. ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 16
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Thanks for thinking of me.  I'm ok now, but recently went through a really bad cycle of depression, and I'm just getting my head above water in the last few weeks.

So sorry to hear that. Please take care and come back and post when you feel up to it. Hugs.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Take care of yourself. Big hug and best wishes.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm sorry you've had troubles but glad you're feeling better. I hope things keep going up for you.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Sounds like you need to wake up at 4 am. @Christina87

Hahahahaha nooope! 😂😂😂 but they said we will need to be there at 6:30 the first couple of weeks to avoid getting stuck in the car rider line. AGHHHHH!!!!!!! I have felt really good today, though; my body must finally be adjusting. I'm soooo happy about my coworkers, though! I had a wonderful time today! We all helped each other with our classrooms, and everyone is very social. We also got a cookout lunch! We even had a group of ladies today get together in a classroom and do a meditation to start our day! The one who suggested it has written a devotional book. It's so awesome how everyone here has a different background, and they are all interesting in so many ways! I have really enjoyed getting to know these people. It's almost going to be sad next week when the returning teachers come back, because we have formed such a close knit group! I heard several people today saying things to that effect. It's so nice when you have a group that wonderful! I'm sure the returning teachers will be awesome too. 

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Hahahahaha nooope! 😂😂😂 but they said we will need to be there at 6:30 the first couple of weeks to avoid getting stuck in the car rider line. AGHHHHH!!!!!!! I have felt really good today, though; my body must finally be adjusting. I'm soooo happy about my coworkers, though! I had a wonderful time today! We all helped each other with our classrooms, and everyone is very social. We also got a cookout lunch! We even had a group of ladies today get together in a classroom and do a meditation to start our day! The one who suggested it has written a devotional book. It's so awesome how everyone here has a different background, and they are all interesting in so many ways! I have really enjoyed getting to know these people. It's almost going to be sad next week when the returning teachers come back, because we have formed such a close knit group! I heard several people today saying things to that effect. It's so nice when you have a group that wonderful! I'm sure the returning teachers will be awesome too. 

I am so happy for you, @Christina87, my sweet cyber-friend!

• Love 3
On 8/13/2019 at 11:13 PM, ChiCricket said:

So good to hear from you, my friend! I, too, seem to be down these days. Hope we both feel better! And that everyone else on this forum finds comfort, who needs it. 

• Love 13

Carrying conversation about Robert Plant over from Duggalo thread. 🙂

It's funny to read on that thread how people know or don't know about Plant. I was born long after Led Zeppelin ceased to be but found my stepmom's Led Zeppelin collection when I was 12 in the early 2000s. Been a fan ever since, though I actually like his current folk/roots music phase even more.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's funny to read on that thread how people know or don't know about Plant. I was born long after Led Zeppelin ceased to be but found my stepmom's Led Zeppelin collection when I was 12 in the early 2000s. Been a fan ever since, though I actually like his current folk/roots music phase even more.

I inherited my dad's taste in 60s-70s stoner music so I was aware of Led Zeppelin even if he did not have any of their albums on cd.  I will also say that the movie Wayne's World also helped me to have an appreciation of classic rock from "Stairway Denied" to Bohemian Rhapsody.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I inherited my dad's taste in 60s-70s stoner music so I was aware of Led Zeppelin even if he did not have any of their albums on cd.  I will also say that the movie Wayne's World also helped me to have an appreciation of classic rock from "Stairway Denied" to Bohemian Rhapsody.  

Yeah, truthfully, my favorite 70s band is Pink Floyd, discovered around the same, but I listened to way more classic rock than anything else contemporary growing up. I probably only started listening to newer music about 10 years ago when I was in college.

Currently listening to Reuben and the Dark. 🙂

1 minute ago, Zella said:

Yeah, truthfully, my favorite 70s band is Pink Floyd, discovered around the same, but I listened to way more classic rock than anything else contemporary growing up. I probably only started listening to newer music about 10 years ago when I was in college.

Currently listening to Reuben and the Dark. 🙂

My dad got a cd player back in 1987 and I grew up listening to his cds as a kid during dinner when mom was away.  Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was on constant replay back then.  He especially loved to blast Time as an alarm on unsuspecting family members.  That and listening to his Credence tapes in his truck.  I stole his Born in the USA cd in college and never looked back.  I did make it up to him by taking him to see Bruce and E Street for The Rising Tour.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My dad got a cd player back in 1987 and I grew up listening to his cds as a kid during dinner when mom was away.  Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was on constant replay back then.  He especially loved to blast Time as an alarm on unsuspecting family members.  That and listening to his Credence tapes in his truck.  I stole his Born in the USA cd in college and never looked back.  I did make it up to him by taking him to see Bruce and E Street for The Rising Tour.

Haha I listened to my stepmom's collection of Led Zeppelin so much, she was finally like, "You can just have it." 😂

I listened to DSOTM so much that I had my first commute to college timed to it. I knew if I hit one town and "Time" wasn't playing, I was running late. My favorite Floyd is Animals, though. 

• Love 1

I don't know who Led Zepplin are either. I thought Christian Robert Plant was his whole name haha. Nah its just Robert Plant.

This is sort of off shoot of what Ben was saying. Why are fundie so pro life when they don't care once the baby gets here. Not only that they only care about the right kind of Christian baby...

Why don't Ben and the Duggars etc voice their approval for example:

1. affordable day care for all

2. affordable health care for all

3. paid maternity leave for all (for like a year)

4. support women's choices for their bodies

Oh right its the Duggars and their like minded bretherin.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I don't know who Led Zepplin are either. I thought Christian Robert Plant was his whole name haha. Nah its just Robert Plant.

Oh galaxychaser, you should listen to some Zeppelin! Still might not be your thing, but they're quite good! 🙂

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I bought tickets to see Page and Plant for an old boyfriend, front row. He decided to sell them to an undercover cop and we were detained and forfeited tickets. I made him pay me back. 1995. Oy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Catfin said:

I bought tickets to see Page and Plant for an old boyfriend, front row. He decided to sell them to an undercover cop and we were detained and forfeited tickets. I made him pay me back. 1995. Oy.

Ouch. 

Just now, galaxychaser said:

Will never go to the movies on Thursday. Saw Good boys and the Kitchen last night. Today I feel like poo poo. Nope if I want movies I will go on Friday night. 

I'm wanting to go see The Lighthouse in theater when it comes out in October, but I am too chickenshit to watch it at night. So, I'll probably give myself a Friday off to watch it during the day. LOL

• Love 1

How is everyone? I took a break, busy summer. We move DD back to college this weekend, funny how much easier it is this year. The boy-child made Varsity soccer, so that’s all sorts of exciting. We’re working with contractors to replace roof, siding and some windows after a recent hail storm.  Still haggling with insurance on damage to DH’s truck.  New doggie is a hoot. Almost ten months old, darling and naughty. Life is good! 

Congrats to Christina on the new job!

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, Catfin said:

I assume you immediately broke up with him after he gave you the money.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I assume you immediately broke up with him after he gave you the money.

Why yes, yes I did! I creeped him on the Internet a few years ago. No bueno. Dodged a lifetime of chaos with that one. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Zella said:

Haha I listened to my stepmom's collection of Led Zeppelin so much, she was finally like, "You can just have it." 😂

I listened to DSOTM so much that I had my first commute to college timed to it. I knew if I hit one town and "Time" wasn't playing, I was running late. My favorite Floyd is Animals, though. 

Wish You Were Here 😀

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wish You Were Here 😀

When I was going to a community college, I took a music appreciation class. Probably one of the best gen ed classes I ever took--the professor was really engaging and a lot of fun.

Anyway, for our last class period, he told us to all bring a CD of favorite music. Everyone would share what we brought and then we'd vote on what we'd get to listen to. I brought Wish You Were Here--thought Animals might be too creepy.

Anyway, this was about 10 years ago, and we had everything from 18 year olds to 50-somethings in the class. As soon as everyone heard I brought Pink Floyd, they were all like, "Fuck voting, and fuck what I brought! Let's listen to some Pink Floyd!" LOL

So, we closed out the class listening to "Welcome to the Machine." Good times! 🙂  

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

Pink Floyd was the second concert I saw. I was 15 - good thing my parents had no idea who Pink Floyd was or what their concerts were like!

My first concert was Barry Manilow, when I was 7. My dad took me.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I went off to college in 1975 and I must say that the door of virtually every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker from 'Dark Side'  on it.   Mine too.  We used to lounge in bean bag chairs, drink red wine and listen to it while sitting in the dark with a couple of candles for light.  I've also done the Wizard of Oz trick more than once.

As for Bruce, I was a late adopter.  One of my sisters saw him in Cleveland when he was still playing small clubs in the '70's.  Saw him for the first time during Born in the USA in 1985 in Cleveland.  My 53 year old mother went with us.  She was a rocker, though Bob Seeger was her fave..

And, yes, I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was 6.  It really stuck with me. I've seen Sir Paul in concert twice and he was superb both times.  Highly recommend.

My sister and I and some friends are going to see ZZ Top and Cheap Trick next month and I cannot wait!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I went off to college in 1975 and I must say that the door of virtually every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker from 'Dark Side'  on it.   Mine too.  We used to lounge in bean back chairs, drink red wine and listen to it while sitting in the dark with a couple of candles for light.

As for Bruce, I was a late adopter.  One of my sisters saw him in Cleveland when he was still playing small clubs in the '70's.  Saw him for the first time during Born in the USA in 1985 in Cleveland.  My 53 year old mother went with us.  She was a rocker, though Bob Seeger was her fave..

And, yes, I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was 6.  It really stuck with me. I've seen Sir Paul in concert twice and he was superb both times.  Highly recommend.

My sister and I and some friends are going to see ZZ Top and Cheap Trick next month and I cannot wait!

For your mother:  in the summer of 1967, Bob Seger released Heavy Music and spent all summer playing little gigs all over the Detroit metro area. My sister and I saw him that August; he played our high cafeteria.  Most of the kids danced or socialized but Susie and I were right smack against the stage, in fact Susie was actually leaning a bit on his keyboard. He was very sweaty.  We were enthralled.

For you: Susie has seen both ZZTop and Cheap Trick very recently and says they’ve still got it!

I went off to college in 1969.  The three big albums you’d hear all over the dorm were Three Dog Night, Crosby Stills and Nash (no Young yet) and the Chicago silver album.  

I come from a musical family and went to concerts with my folks but my first “real” concert was The Mamas and The Papas.  I was 15 and my best friend and I managed to finagle our way into the front row. Still one on my favorite memories.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I went off to college in 1975 and I must say that the door of virtually every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker from 'Dark Side'  on it.   Mine too.  We used to lounge in bean bag chairs, drink red wine and listen to it while sitting in the dark with a couple of candles for light.  I've also done the Wizard of Oz trick more than once.

There were a lot of Dark Side posters on the walls of my college dorm in the late 90s.  I assume my classmates also stole their dads music.  

I have to say that when you talk about Cleveland like this, you feel like one of my aunts or one of my moms cousins.  I don't know of any ob doctor in my family, so I know we aren't related.   Of course my mom has so many cousins in the Cleveland area I cannot be entirely sure. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There were a lot of Dark Side posters on the walls of my college dorm in the late 90s.  I assume my classmates also stole their dads music.  

I have to say that when you talk about Cleveland like this, you feel like one of my aunts or one of my moms cousins.  I don't know of any ob doctor in my family, so I know we aren't related.   Of course my mom has so many cousins in the Cleveland area I cannot be entirely sure. 

We're not closely related, I can tell you that.  None of my cousins has a kid in NC.  My dad's family is from Cleveland, my mom's wasn't; so it would have to be through his side.

Anyway, as you are well aware; Cleveland rocks and there are many, many of us here who grew up listening to the radio (WIXY 1260 and The Big 8 CKLW during grade school/junior high and onto MMS in high school and beyond).  Music was a big part of most of our lives and, unlike today, there wasn't such a divide between the fans,  The radio stations played folksy stuff like Simon and Garfunkel (saw them at a McGovern rally in '72), Judy Collins and CSN (saw them in '74) and at the same time would play harder rock like Zepplin and Motown and pop tunes too.  So, we all grew up listening to a lot of diverse stuff.  

At college, the same diversity existed but there were certain artists and albums that were touchstones.  Everyone had Dark Side of the Moon.  Everyone, I am not kidding.  Chicago and the Eagles and CSN&Y were also fairly ubiquitous.  While I was in college, disco came in and that was one of the first times I can recall people being split over whether it was any good or not although, once again, virtually everyone saw Saturday Night Fever even if they didn't like disco.

4 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I honestly have no idea how this is possible. You have lived in a completely different world than I have.

Me too.  It kinda boggles my mind.  How can anyone have never heard 'Money' or 'Brick in the Wall'; those were huge mainstream hits.  Same thing with Led Zepp.  Never heard 'Stairway to Heaven'?  Not possible.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

For your mother:  in the summer of 1967, Bob Seger released Heavy Music and spent all summer playing little gigs all over the Detroit metro area. My sister and I saw him that August; he played our high cafeteria.  Most of the kids danced or socialized but Susie and I were right smack against the stage, in fact Susie was actually leaning a bit on his keyboard. He was very sweaty.  We were enthralled.

F

Lucky you, Bob is a real hottie!  I don't have such a close brush with greatness although the Raspberries, fronted by Eric Carmen, played high school dances at St. Joe's when they were starting out because one of the guys in the band went there.  The Raspberries got their start as a Beatles cover band and people would actually boo when they'd play their own stuff including 'Go All the Way' which had just been released the last time I saw them.  Eric Carmen thought he was hot stuff, very flirty,  Rumor had it that he would stuff gym socks in his pants to enhance his assets.  The Raspberries actually wore matching suits with velour collars like the Beatles when they were starting out.

• Love 3

In the mid 90’s, I was an HR manager for a company in Georgia, and our “parent” company was in Alabama.  I traveled back and forth a lot.  Our company encouraged the managers to use rental cars whenever possible, and we had developed a pretty good relationship with an Enterprise not too far away.

I called my contact at that office one day (we’ll call her Brenda) and requested a car, and said to Brenda (not really joking) “make sure I get a cassette player; Bob Seger is my constant companion”.  

The next day, a very helpful and very young Enterprise employee brings my car.  He has me sign for it, and then says “I’ll just need to get the other gentleman’s signature as well”.  What other gentleman?  He looks at his paperwork and says “Brenda said a Mr. Bob Seger would be with you so....”

in my LIFE I’ve never been so astounded.  I said “HOW OLD ARE YOU?????”  He literally had never HEARD of Bob Seger.  In 1995.  I said “Please.  Go home and ask your mother if she knows who Bob Seger is.  There will be a quiz next time, and NO, unfortunately, Mr. Seger wasn’t able to make it for this trip”.  

Mr. Seger was probably on his 3rd “Best of” by ‘95.

@ChiCricket, depression is absolutely debilitating and probably one of the most misunderstood problems of all time.  I hate it so much.

@Christina87 YAY!!!!!!!  Have the best time EVVVVVVVER!

Y’all.  I turned 60 this week.  I’m still a cute little dumpling, so there is that... 

• LOL 8
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

Bahahaha @Happyfatchick! That's a hilarious story--and good to see you, as always. 🙂

My dad's first concert was Bob Seger. So, I grew up listening to him, too.

My first concert was Bob Dylan in 1977. I've been to 10 Dylan concerts.

My 30 yo daughter and I have attended Seattle Rock Orchestra concerts of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the Beattles music in the past two years.  This winter they will do the Beach Boys, but DD isn't interested.  She loves Pink Floyd.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, louannems said:

My first concert was Bob Dylan in 1977. I've been to 10 Dylan concerts.

My 30 yo daughter and I have attended Seattle Rock Orchestra concerts of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the Beattles music in the past two years.  This winter they will do the Beach Boys, but DD isn't interested.  She loves Pink Floyd.

It's funny, actually, since I like so much rock (and, well, a lot of genres, to be honest.) But the only concerts I've ever attended are orchestral. I'm really introverted, and though my mind likes the idea of attending a concert, my mind is also freaked out by the idea of all the other people who will be there.

• Love 6