Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah that got tedious.

I started to feel like Downton Abbey was the Hotel California. Nobody was ever allowed to leave. 

The Bateses is what got on my nerves. And I started the show loving both of them. By the end, I would almost weep when they popped up on screen because ugh. 

I love that we’re talking about a completely different set of bateses!  the murder accusations and getting him out of jail became very tedious! 

My son saw the lion King on a field trip today and loved it.  😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

High of 87 today, and I am sooooo happy!!!!! It's the best day ever. I feel so much more energetic when it's cooler like this, and like myself again! It's hard to do anything but creep around slowly when it's sooooo hot. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Why don’t people like/appreciate me? 

Once my uncle dies no one will even call and ask me how I am doing. It’s depressing me too death that I’m so alone. I keep trying but people just don’t care.

I’m sorry you lost your uncle. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Why don’t people like/appreciate me? 

Once my uncle dies no one will even call and ask me how I am doing. It’s depressing me too death that I’m so alone. I keep trying but people just don’t care.

I'm sorry you feel so alone.  If you are not appreciated, it may be more on the people you know than on you.  I find that most people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they give little thought to anyone else.

Sometimes you need to appreciate yourself and take care of yourself.  The downward spiral of depression keeps you from doing the things that you need to do to feel better.  If you just make yourself do something positive that feels goods, you can start to pull out of it.  You can give yourself approval to do something for yourself.

• Love 5

My uncle is alive. I mean once he dies no one will call me or ask me about my day etc. 

I accept that when I die no one will notice for a month or something. I give up on people. If it wasn’t for internet woof it would be bad.

6 hours ago, Christina87 said:

High of 87 today, and I am sooooo happy!!!!! It's the best day ever. I feel so much more energetic when it's cooler like this, and like myself again! It's hard to do anything but creep around slowly when it's sooooo hot. 

It was the same here.  I went down to the beach where it was 84 and the ocean was calm.  The beach was packed.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Love2dance said:

85 here today. Still too hot for me unless I am under a big shade tree. 🌳

Only 83 here today, and that's only bearable in small increments. Not something I'd go out in on purpose when there is perfectly good a/c indoors. 

@Christina87 ...granted, 87 is a minor bit of relief from the 90's- 100's of a week or two ago, but in no universe could I ever claim to have actual energy in that kind of weather. LOL My energy and optimism don't start to kick back in until possibly the low 70's (but even then only if it's cloudy). Glad you are feeling good, though!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Sorry for the delay everyone, but I've been having a very, very difficult time.  Hubby's celebration of life is now scheduled for Aug 10th with games, food, margaritas and a chocolate fountain.  We are truly going to celebrate his life.  All of his family - parents, siblings and aunts/uncles had declinded to come - they have things like camping trips planned.  That took me about 3 days of sobbing my eyes out.  But I'm up, my animals are taken care of and I have clean clothes on.  I also fulfilled a promise to him and dyed my hair - turns out it came out the same color as his car, his baby.   Somehow that seems right

Thank you for the update! I have been wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry your in-laws are not coming, but I think that sounds like a lovely way to celebrate his life. 

• Love 4
Just now, Zella said:

Thank you for the update! I have been wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry your in-laws are not coming, but I think that sounds like a lovely way to celebrate his life. 

Thank you.  I've got several of his favorite foods planned, with a bunch of decor from his multiple jobs and everything from a yard jenga to use as the sign in board to darts, horseshoes and a ton of games.  We will celebrate him.  If his family won't come, they lose

• Love 14
(edited)
13 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Sorry for the delay everyone, but I've been having a very, very difficult time.  Hubby's celebration of life is now scheduled for Aug 10th with games, food, margaritas and a chocolate fountain.  We are truly going to celebrate his life.  All of his family - parents, siblings and aunts/uncles had declinded to come - they have things like camping trips planned.  That took me about 3 days of sobbing my eyes out.  But I'm up, my animals are taken care of and I have clean clothes on.  I also fulfilled a promise to him and dyed my hair - turns out it came out the same color as his car, his baby.   Somehow that seems right

It is good to hear from you. You have been on my mind lately. Its to bad his family will not come to his celebration of life but that is their loss. I hope you are surrounded by his and your family of the heart and know we will be with you in spirit. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 14

Has anyone else been glued for the past week to the manhunt in Canada for 2 teens accused of killing 3 people? Looks like there's been a credible sighting and law enforcement has descended on a remote tiny town. Hoping they're apprehended soon, with no more deaths. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Has anyone else been glued for the past week to the manhunt in Canada for 2 teens accused of killing 3 people? Looks like there's been a credible sighting and law enforcement has descended on a remote tiny town. Hoping they're apprehended soon, with no more deaths. 

I hope they catch them. Sometimes it seems like the world has gone crazy.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

No, I haven't heard of this. Was there a motive, or was it a crime of opportunity?

It's not known. They murdered an Australian/American couple who were broke down on the side of the road and then a retired Canadian botany professor. My speculation is crime of opportunity/thrill-seeking crime spree, but there's really just not a lot of information. They burned their own vehicle and then burned another one, which I assume they stole from the professor. But that's not been confirmed. 

• Love 1
(edited)

We have a fluid story here: there was a shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. 11 injured (conditions unknown). Suspect on the loose but being chased. It's a giant clusterfuck. 

eta: It's on CNN, and the Orange Menace tweeted about it, so it's gone national.

Edited by Sew Sumi
Needed a space
36 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I just don’t get how one forgets their kid in a car. I just don’t. It’s a human not a jacket.

The news reporters were talking like he left them in the car because he didn't have childcare or something. They didn't say anything about forgetting about the kids. 

11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I just don’t get how one forgets their kid in a car. I just don’t. It’s a human not a jacket.

It happened in my area several years back.  The husband and wife took turns dropping off their baby at day care.  The baby was asleep in the back of the dad's car and he completely forgot he was there.  Went to work and the baby died in the hot car.  It's tragic.  I even saw a public service announcement saying to put your phone or purse next to baby's carseat in the back so you can't"forget".

• Love 1
(edited)

I honestly think anyone who needs a reminder that their baby is in the car with them is too stupid, irresponsible, and/or forgetful to have a baby. Stick with plants.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 3

Update on the Gilroy shooting. The 3 killed were a 6 year old boy, a 13 year old girl, and a man in his 20's. The shooter, a 19 year old, was shot and killed by cops on the festival grounds.

I saw an interview with the little boy's father last night. Heartbreaking. The boy's mother and grandmother were also shot, but their wounds were minor. 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, DragonFaerie said:

Dragonfairie, if I could get around (current status: broken foot and compression fracture of my L2) I would so celebrate your husband with you. It sounds like it’s gonna be lovely and meaningful. Why are families such turds? Much love to you. What color is the hair?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

The baby is barely 2 weeks old, he's got a long, long way to go before he's out of the woods.  People was way too quick to write this story which, by its very presence, implies that the kid is doing well and will be ok.  Not so much.

Smallest kid from my practice was 14 ounces born at 24 weeks.  She was actually growth restricted due to her mother's chronic hypertension.  She was doing well by the time she was 18 months or so, meeting milestones, etc.  Only issue was that she remained tiny, she had just outgrown 6 month infant's size at a year and a half.  She was walking, but her mom had a lot of problems finding appropriate baby walking shoes in her size.  Mom said that she would take her out of the stroller and let her run around sometimes in stores and restaurants just to see people freak out because she was so tiny.  BTW, female preemies do better than males and babies which are growth restricted do better than those who are not.

• Useful 14
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

@Christina87 any update on job? 

I have an interview tomorrow morning for the private school, and I am teaching a sample lesson! I'm going to teach them "in Flanders fields" (well, the first verse), and do a lesson on WWI poetry. That will be good for middle school, and will include multiple subjects! I'm excited, but super nervous. 

Then Thursday, I have the final interview at the charter school!

this is a high pressure week! I really appreciate you thinking about me, @galaxychaser. I'll update on how it goes tomorrow!!!

• Love 22
12 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I have an interview tomorrow morning for the private school, and I am teaching a sample lesson! I'm going to teach them "in Flanders fields" (well, the first verse), and do a lesson on WWI poetry. That will be good for middle school, and will include multiple subjects! I'm excited, but super nervous. 

Then Thursday, I have the final interview at the charter school!

this is a high pressure week! I really appreciate you thinking about me, @galaxychaser. I'll update on how it goes tomorrow!!!

Ah I love WWI poetry! (I'm totally a Wilfred Owen fangirl. Poor Wilfred. ) Good luck tomorrow--you'll do great! 🙂 

• Love 2
On July 29, 2019 at 7:08 PM, latetotheparty said:

Dragonfairie, if I could get around (current status: broken foot and compression fracture of my L2) I would so celebrate your husband with you. It sounds like it’s gonna be lovely and meaningful. Why are families such turds? Much love to you. What color is the hair?

Thank you all so much.  I'm still getting folks from across the country and the west coast either with condolances or we're coming.  As far as my hair - I did all my hair in this: 

https://www.learnbemobile.com/blue-envy-splat-hair-dye.html

And yes his family will lose - as one of his friends said - we're having a FUNeral.  3 other women/friends now have dyed their hair - one glow in the dark red, one, who is blonde with teal ends and another now goes from black to blue ends.  

• Love 16
27 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Thank you all so much.  I'm still getting folks from across the country and the west coast either with condolances or we're coming.  As far as my hair - I did all my hair in this: 

https://www.learnbemobile.com/blue-envy-splat-hair-dye.html

And yes his family will lose - as one of his friends said - we're having a FUNeral.  3 other women/friends now have dyed their hair - one glow in the dark red, one, who is blonde with teal ends and another now goes from black to blue ends.  

Oh wow, that color is amazing. Want. It. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Ahhhhhhhh I am in the final two!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!! I went this morning and did my lesson, and then had an interview. They said they liked my lesson, and I'm so glad that I know I did well, and don't have to wonder how they felt about it. I think I have a chance! They have the other candidate tomorrow, and then they will make their decision! Fingers crossed. 

Keeping fingers crossed, it’s always good to get positive feedback too. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Ahhhhhhhh I am in the final two!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!! I went this morning and did my lesson, and then had an interview. They said they liked my lesson, and I'm so glad that I know I did well, and don't have to wonder how they felt about it. I think I have a chance! They have the other candidate tomorrow, and then they will make their decision! Fingers crossed. 

Why can I not like this 100 times? Fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed for you.

• Love 7