Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Portia said:

Surely you're not comparing a beautifully pregnant young woman in very standard beachwear to an old guy in a Speedo...? And since you brought up those old guys...old and/or overweight people have every right to enjoy the beach without being body shamed. 

I just dont like seeing anyone's (male or female) genitals clearly. But, I am free to look away!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Interesting topic.  We were on the beach in Mexico in February, with lots of people of different cultures/nationalities and I was impressed that many of the women wore bikinis/skimpy enough bathing suits and walked the beach proudly.  I will never see them again and they obviously didn't care who thought what.  I wish I were that confident and free to be able to do the same. I am in pretty good shape for 75, and maybe next time we go there, I will attempt to give up my "modest" bathing suits and let my tummy and not perfect skin show.  As Fred Armisen playing Joy Bear said "so what, who cares".  Really no one.

I don't care what other people wear on the beach.  My bathing suits are Nike tankinis because the girls need the support and coverage.  Those suits corral them so I can enjoy myself without one breaking free.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I had the afternoon off and spent it lying in bed drinking iced tea, eating reese’s peanut butter cups and watching Queen Latifah movies. It was glorious.

I was laying on my couch binge watching Southern Charm.  The heat index where I live is over 100.  I'm not going outside. 

• Love 6

My neighbor just asked me if I needed an air conditioner, he has one he’d give me. I have one in one of the bedrooms, that’s it. He’s going to get it now. I want to tell him how sweet it is that he’s helping the elderly, but I think we’re around the same age, so that might not go over well! 😂 I’m excited, and grateful!

• Love 21

I've been indoors today too. It hit 101 here (Denver), I think a new record. At least it tends to cool off at night. I binge-watched (on Demand) a new-ish HGTV series, Unspouse My House, which was a hoot. I caught an episode last night and liked it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's been in the 90s here all week (northwest Arkansas), with terrible humidity and heat advisory warnings since Wednesday. Heat index has been near 110. Just brutal. A cold front is supposed to come through on Sunday, and I cannot wait. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

High here by the bay was 74. *runs away*

😂

That's what the evening temps are here, but with the same awful humidity. 

My folks were stationed in California for a few years with the Navy before I was hatched. My dad was too much of a country boy to like living in the city, but he still talks about how nice the weather is there year-round. 

This was going around the Arkansas Facebook circuit earlier this year, and it cracked me up. I suspect many of my fellow Duggar snarkers will appreciate it in this heat wave.

It was shared in the spring, but the "We are here" note needs to be moved down to "Hell's Front Porch" now. 

12 Seasons of Arkansas.jpg

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, Zella said:

😂

That's what the evening temps are here, but with the same awful humidity. 

My folks were stationed in California for a few years with the Navy before I was hatched. My dad was too much of a country boy to like living in the city, but he still talks about how nice the weather is there year-round. 

This was going around the Arkansas Facebook circuit earlier this year, and it cracked me up. I suspect many of my fellow Duggar snarkers will appreciate it in this heat wave.

It was shared in the spring, but the "We are here" note needs to be moved down to "Hell's Front Porch" now. 

12 Seasons of Arkansas.jpg

I have seen that for North Carolina and we are now in the Hells Front Porch season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I have been in AR in pollening.  It was amazing to see cars covered in an inch of yellow.

It's insane. As a general rule, I like living here, but I have terrible environmental allergies, and that is one of my only issues. I get steroid injections every February or March, take OTC allergy meds, and still have issues. Probably should do the immunotherapy shots but not in a position to do so now.

Went to the Indians' game tonight.  At gametime, 7PM, it was 94 out and so humid, you could cut the air with a knife. I have one of those little gizmos with a battery operated fan that also spritzes water and it came in very handy.  It was still oppressively hot though.  It's now almost 1AM and the thermometer says it is a refreshing 88F.  Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 97F.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm really sorry for all of you experiencing the discomfort of high temps + high humidity. Been there, done that, aka living in Houston. Aargh!!! Denver's getting crowded and real estate prices are nutz and I hate winter. That said, this low humidity climate feels good enough that I'm still here 40+ years after arrival.

After yesterday's sizzle of 101F, it's now just after 6:30 am and a nice 65F outdoors. Relative humidity's above average at 35%.  I have the condo windows/sliding door open and fans blowing the cool air in. Later on I'll shut the windows and turn on the a/c. We're getting a break, high of about 90F today. 

ETA: I do sleep with the a/c on in the bedroom. Mostly because I have seasonal allergies and too much of the tiny little nasties float in through the windows at night for my comfort. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Went to the Indians' game tonight.  At gametime, 7PM, it was 94 out and so humid, you could cut the air with a knife. I have one of those little gizmos with a battery operated fan that also spritzes water and it came in very handy.  It was still oppressively hot though.  It's now almost 1AM and the thermometer says it is a refreshing 88F.  Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 97F.

It's been horrible here as well for the most part over the past week or so (except Wednesday, I think it was, which was rainy and in the 70's - bliss!). Only saving grace for me is that I'm pretty much still in recuperation mode after my surgery, so have a valid excuse for sitting in the a/c, not doing a lot of anything, and definitely having no actual reason for needing to go outside. It's supposed to be just about 100 out there over the next two days

Getting very bored, though. I think, today, I might finally get to work on a bunch of unfinished paintings which I thought this would be the perfect time to tackle again. Thus far, sitting upright and leaning forward has proved to be rather uncomfortable, but I think I might be able to handle it for some periods of time now.

• Love 13

Go for it, @Jynnan tonnix! Maybe your hubs could rig up something for you that would suspend the painting overhead and you could lie down while painting. Like Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel. . . although I've always idly wondered how much paint dropped into his face . . . 😁

Anyway, I'm glad you're resting and recuperating. 

• Love 5

Thanks for the sympathy for those of us living with high temps! It's terrible! I like to go sit outside in the evenings, and last night it was 88 (felt like 95) after dark! Ahhhh!!! So thankful for the AC. I've never understood why people think summer = freedom (except for school being out). Summer is the season southerners are stuck in our house! I imagine it's how winter would be in colder climates, but our winter is delightful. High of 55, low of 35? Niiiiice. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

It's been hot here too, but, I don't mind it.  Everything is air conditioned and I'd rather be too hot than too cold.

Where is @bigskygirl

Hot here in Maryland too but I don't mind it much either. At least you don't have to shovel it.

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My sister is going to an outside concert tonight & and I told her to get one of those spritzing fans. Glad to hear they work. 

• Love 3

Hot here in Maryland too but I don't mind it much either. At least you don't have to shovel it.

Amen to that Barb!

As a native  NYer, I totally understand.  Temperature here on Long Island is a balmy 95 right now, with a "feels like" temp of 108.  I would much rather be hot than have to suffer through a blizzard.

Let's hope that all of us (and our loved ones) are able to safely ride out this heat wave.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

So, first and foremost... GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, we planned to go to a store this morning an hour away from us to buy a range hood for our Great Kitchen Remodel of 2019. Store opened at 6:30, we were ready to go stupid early (because they opened stupid early), but we were hit with a massive storm and our power kept going out. Not long, but just enough to be annoying, so we were delayed in leaving. Got there later, bought it, got it home, and all is well in Great Ktchen Remodel-Land. I really did have a point, but apparently I saw something shiny so...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Guess what?! I had a phone interview today!!! It's a reach...a really good private school! It would be an amazing job. It's for middle school chorus, and it sounds similar to the job I had, but in a much nicer environment. I just applied the other day, and I can't believe they got back to me so quickly! Fingers crossed! I won't be too disappointed if I don't get it, because it's definitely a reach, but it would be amazing if I did!

Fingers crossed that you get this position.  It sounds perfect!

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Fingers crossed that you get this position.  It sounds perfect!

Thank you!!!! I sooooo hope I do! A friend worked there and retired recently, and she has nothing but glowing things to say about it. Luckily, she is a friend of my interviewer! Fingers crossed! It would be an absolutely amazing job!

• Love 15

A relative by marriage had an uncle Chester, an aunt Faith, and his mom was named Hope. Yep. In birth order, those siblings were Hope, Faith - and Chester. Born more than 100 years ago. Maybe their mother just expected to have only girls and Chester was her best plan B alternate for Charity? Anyway, ever since I heard about that, I sometimes think “hope, faith, and Chester” instead of “hope, faith, and charity.” 🤣

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I like Hope, Faith, Joy and Mercy. Chastity is my least favorite. Unless of course she will be a nun. 

I have see Hope and Faith on twins before.

Mercy is pretty! I love the name Marcy too. I agree...they are all good except Chastity. 

Thanks so much for the well wishes, guys! I really can't believe it. They emailed me this morning and asked for a phone interview! This time yesterday, I had no idea it would happen. Things can definitely change for the better in an instant!

• Love 10

So today my mom and I go to my priest's house for a meal with a bunch of other people in the parish.   My mother and some other "helpful" church ladies start to tell my priest's brother that I am single.  Now Leonardo is from Colombia and speaks no English.   I don't even know how old he is.  Thanks mom.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

We got a very quick rain, the temperature went down 8°. I am pleased, the air is actual moving out here.

Thunder and lightning here on the west side of Cleveland, still waiting on the rain.  Temp was cooler today. mid 80's instead of 90's, but still very humid/

• Love 2