Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

That's awesome!!! How long does it last? I've always wanted to give blood, but I am so squeamish and afraid of needles. However, every time I've had bloodwork done lately, it's seemed better and shorter than I expected. Are you sitting up or lying down when you donate? I'd really like to be able to do it, but I've always been scared. 

The process takes about a hour. They have to take your medical history (to rule out those who have had hepatitis/aids or are taking some medication like blood thinners or HGH) and do some minimal testing (to make sure that you aren’t anemic, that your BP is ok, that you don’t have a fever...just general stuff). They usually lay you down in a comfortable lounge chair. The actual process, once they get the needle into your arm (a few seconds) takes about 10-15 minutes maximum. It is ok to be scared and lots of people are. They will make you as comfortable as possible and then they usually give you some crackers and/or orange juice afterwards. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s why I mentioned spinach and tofu...in case you didn’t eat meat. You will be saving the life of someone. Kudos. I can’t say it enough. I owe my life to someone who donated their blood. 

Awww. Yes I try to do it when I can (my work does the drives once a quarter). It doesn’t take much and to think I can help someone is a good thing. Plus the free cookies and pretzels😎

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Gave blood today! (Work drive). Just eating my pretzels. 

I gave yesterday at the donor center. I went with potato chips 🙂. Also got a badge on my donor app. Vampire.  And I hit the gallon mark. 

• Love 10
On 7/16/2019 at 3:40 PM, Suzn said:

It's sad, but to me, more maddening.  If they owned up to how bad their marriages are, they would have to do something.  Of course, if I had to look into Derick's evil eyes every day, I'd have to open a vein.

One of his , right ?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Christina87 said:

That's awesome!!! How long does it last? I've always wanted to give blood, but I am so squeamish and afraid of needles. However, every time I've had bloodwork done lately, it's seemed better and shorter than I expected. Are you sitting up or lying down when you donate? I'd really like to be able to do it, but I've always been scared. 

Definitely give it a try! I had a friend who was very afraid of blood and needles, but she was actually the one who encouraged me to do it the first time. She just didn't watch! (Because I'm a weirdo, I was kind of riveted by the whole thing and couldn't look away. LOL)

I need to get back into giving blood. I did it in college but haven't been able to participate in any blood drives in awhile.

A+ blood type here. 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Also A+! Wish that would have translated to my transcript, which was more A-.  😕

My friend who was afraid of needles who got me to donate was being a smartass and told me my blood type matched my grades. But they weren't all A+. I had my fair share of A-s too. . . . 😜

Edited to add: I'm really glad I know my blood type now. I was raised primarily by my dad's family, who are mostly O. They just assumed I was, too, but I actually got my mom's blood type and had no idea until I donated. So, I'm glad I know the right one now! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

I would give blood, but the Red Cross doesn't like me.  I gave blood back in high school and I got a false positive for hepatitis.  They retested my blood twice and I never had it, but I was told to never give blood again.   I'm AB but can't remember if it was positive or negative.   

• Love 1
(edited)

I could not give blood for a while because my ex-husband was stationed in Cameroon with the Peace Corps. Now, I'm just a wuss with tiny veins who always has to get stuck in the back of the hand to get any blood. I know I should give blood, it's just always so awful getting blood drawn. (I have been stuck as many as 12 times unsuccessfully before I started telling them to just use my hand. I had an IV blow out three times when I had knee surgery. I seem to know more about how to successfully draw my blood than phlebotomists do--warm up the hand with a glove full of warm water, etc. It's never fun.)

Edited by jcbrown

My stepmom has never been able to give blood because she has latent TB that she must have caught from her dad. He was diagnosed with TB from his service in Vietnam. When he got back, they were all put on the TB meds as a preventative measure. I can't remember what the deal is, but she certainly never manifested symptoms and is not contagious, but every time she has tried to give blood, they've turned her down because she still tests positive for TB. I just took a peek at Red Cross guidelines that suggest she should still be able to do so since she is not being currently treated, but she's always been barred from it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2019 at 12:40 PM, Suzn said:

It's sad, but to me, more maddening.  If they owned up to how bad their marriages are, they would have to do something.  Of course, if I had to look into Derick's evil eyes every day, I'd have to open a vein.

His, I hope. 

• LOL 4
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

The process takes about a hour. They have to take your medical history (to rule out those who have had hepatitis/aids or are taking some medication like blood thinners or HGH) and do some minimal testing (to make sure that you aren’t anemic, that your BP is ok, that you don’t have a fever...just general stuff). They usually lay you down in a comfortable lounge chair. The actual process, once they get the needle into your arm (a few seconds) takes about 10-15 minutes maximum. It is ok to be scared and lots of people are. They will make you as comfortable as possible and then they usually give you some crackers and/or orange juice afterwards. 

This makes me feel a lot better about it! I really want to try it. Plus, I think I would do better sitting in a comfy chair. It's worse to get blood drawn at the doctor's office, where you have to sit on one of those tables and totally support yourself! That's a good point that they have seen scared people before, and know what to do. I really want to try it!

• Love 2

The Red Cross tests your blood after the donation to make sure that you don’t have a disease (hepatitis, AIDS, etc.) Most people who have Hepatitis C are not even aware that they have it because it can be in your system for years yet show no symptoms. Giving your blood is the cheapest way of health screening for various hidden conditions. 

I’m delighted to see how many of you that have donated and those of you who plan to do it in the future. Big applause 👏🏻 

• Love 8

I used to donate regularly until I was barred because of low iron. I had depleted my iron stores from donating on a regular basis. It's been 4 years and I've fully replenished my iron stores but they're not willing to risk it again. I went with one of my friends for the first time. She did amazing until she went to get up. She fainted as soon as we went to go get our free cookies for donating. They've barred her from donating until she's goes through pregnancy. They called in a doctor and he said her body is more likely to compensate for lost blood after it has experienced pregnancy.

They don't mess around if you're going to harm yourself from donating.

I'm hoping to volunteer with a local chapter once life settles down because it is so important.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Hee, I just sit down, give them my arm, and voila! it's done. I'm probably among the easiest patients. 😁

Same. They see my arm and know that’s the vein.  I don’t even have to use the squeezing thing.  B- here     

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

I really wish I could donated blood, but since I lived in the UK for a year (fall 1985-fall 1986), I am not allowed.  Too much risk of Mad Cow Disease being passed through the blood.

Same here...we were stationed in Scotland from 1989-1991. Recently, though, someone in one of my Facebook groups was talking about donating plasma as an option as apparently there are people who can donate plasma but not blood. I still need to look into that.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Same here...we were stationed in Scotland from 1989-1991. Recently, though, someone in one of my Facebook groups was talking about donating plasma as an option as apparently there are people who can donate plasma but not blood. I still need to look into that.

You can also get paid for donating plasma. F3C76257-C4B9-471D-BC17-011394A74339.thumb.jpeg.ab9386ec867fcb49bf09db8d3afa10d0.jpeg

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

They don't mess around if you're going to harm yourself from donating.

They really don’t. The first time I tried, in college, I flunked the iron test. No underlying health problems— I just hadn’t liked the iron-rich selections in the dining hall that week. 

The next time I tried, I was very careful to eat red meat the day before, but they decided I was too close to the weight minimum. (I was still technically over, and no this is not a problem I have now that I’m not nineteen...)

The third time I tried, I was so surprised that I made it through the eligibility criteria that upon being asked how I felt I replied “scared.” Apparently that’s an automatic disqualification too, and they sent me on my way.

I really admire people who actually manage to donate! 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I will definitely look into that!

15 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

They really don’t. The first time I tried, in college, I flunked the iron test. No underlying health problems— I just hadn’t liked the iron-rich selections in the dining hall that week. 

The next time I tried, I was very careful to eat red meat the day before, but they decided I was too close to the weight minimum. (I was still technically over, and no this is not a problem I have now that I’m not nineteen...)

The third time I tried, I was so surprised that I made it through the eligibility criteria that upon being asked how I felt I replied “scared.” Apparently that’s an automatic disqualification too, and they sent me on my way.

I really admire people who actually manage to donate! 

While I understand the underlying reasons why the Red Cross denies some people from giving blood, many of their policies are outdated and one of the main reasons why blood supplies are always so low.  Like I said, I am not allowed to donate blood to them because of one faulty test done back in 1998.  They also do not allow gay men to donate blood unless they have abstained from sex for the last 12 months.  

• Love 2

There are some policies that are really outdated. Males not being able to donate if they've had sex with another male in the past 12 months or having sex with a male who has had sex with another male is one (technically if you are a female who has had sex with a man who has had sex with another man you are not supposed to donate either).

On the other hand though I find that it's not nearly as accessible to donate as it should be. They only do blood drives at the college I work at twice a year now. The clinic turns away people by noon because they're out of time and supplies. The closest permanent clinic is quite a distance away. You're more likely to just go "eh, I'll do it" if it's right there. Especially with a very over-eager student body.

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

You can also get paid for donating plasma. F3C76257-C4B9-471D-BC17-011394A74339.thumb.jpeg.ab9386ec867fcb49bf09db8d3afa10d0.jpeg

I've been donating plasma twice a week since I retired, almost 5 years ago.  I used to donate whole blood once every 3 months, since my dad received so many units of blood and platelets during his last years of leukemia.

You have to wait 6 weeks after donating whole blood in order to donate plasma, so now I only do plasma. CSL Plasma is a short walk from my house, I don't need an appointment, and they are open 7 days a week from early til late.  So it's an easy thing for me to do.

Products derived from plasma include COPD meds, autoimmune meds, treatments for severe burns and clotting meds.

It takes just a little longer since the automatic machine cycles through 3 or 4 draws of whole blood,  with each draw being followed by return of your red blood cells while separating out the plasma, followed by a saline  drip with heparin.

Including the kiosk screening, the usual health screen, and donation, I'm usually in and out in an hour.  The payment (for my weight) is $25 for the first of the month, raised by $5 increments each time, up to $65 for the 8th and sometimes 9th donations. On a long month, if I don't bruise, I make $400.  I let it accumulate on the Visa card until I have a few thousand.

Edited by louannems
  • Useful 6
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

While I understand the underlying reasons why the Red Cross denies some people from giving blood, many of their policies are outdated and one of the main reasons why blood supplies are always so low.  Like I said, I am not allowed to donate blood to them because of one faulty test done back in 1998.  They also do not allow gay men to donate blood unless they have abstained from sex for the last 12 months.  

Agree.  My gay son has been with his now husband for about 15 years.  I believe they are monogamous (no reason to think anything else).  They have both tested negative for HIV and Hepatitis a lot of times during their early years together.  What is the difference of them having sex with each other or heterosexuals having sex with each other?

• Love 17
20 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t know my blood type! I know my moms. I wish I knew my blood type.

I only found out mine when I gave blood.

15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I could not give blood for a while because my ex-husband was stationed in Cameroon with the Peace Corps. Now, I'm just a wuss with tiny veins who always has to get stuck in the back of the hand to get any blood. I know I should give blood, it's just always so awful getting blood drawn. (I have been stuck as many as 12 times unsuccessfully before I started telling them to just use my hand. I had an IV blow out three times when I had knee surgery. I seem to know more about how to successfully draw my blood than phlebotomists do--warm up the hand with a glove full of warm water, etc. It's never fun.)

Me too

• Love 1

I think y'all will appreciate this.  I have been in 2 Twitter conversations today--one with a Catholic thinker/writer about the state of the Catholic Church in Eastern North Carolina and the events that unfolded here last night at a political rally, I was just doing my part to get some necessary info out as a practicing Catholic in the area

the second was with some librarians and romance writers about The Thorn Birds, the concept of Father Whatawaste and banging priests.  

I think I need to go to confession this weekend, but probably won't.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

the concept of Father Whatawaste

Am not Catholic so was unaware this had a name, but I met a Catholic priest a few months ago who was a really nice guy with a great sense of humor and damn was he handsome. So, my mind immediately went to my own version of this. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thank you to the posters who brought up the subject of donating blood.  Mr Barb used to donate quarterly when the Red Cross van came to his workplace. I think it's been awhile since he's donated now that he is retired & probably has forgotten all about it. I'm going to remind him he needs  to get back in the swing of donating.

I'm not sure I would qualify with my ailments- anemia, on blood thinners & history of pulmonary embolism  to name a few.  I guess I can ask Mr. Google what the Red Cross donation qualifications are.

I remember the old episode of the Duggars when JB  surprised the older girls & had them donate blood when Josie was born. IIRC, Jill has a needle phobia & was freaked out. (Can't blame her esp when JB surprised them.)  You would think with all the kidadults sitting around doing nothing, they could get them to donate blood especially since Jessa has already needed blood transfusions. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Am not Catholic so was unaware this had a name, but I met a Catholic priest a few months ago who was a really nice guy with a great sense of humor and damn was he handsome. So, my mind immediately went to my own version of this. 😂

I do love how there is no definition needed for this concept just the term.  The concept has also been around for awhile, and it can get uncomfortable to her women in their 70s discuss it.  A guy I knew in high school from diocesan events was in the seminary to become a Jesuit, but my librarian google skills are failing me, and I cannot find any picture of him or information on him.  It has been bothering me this afternoon, but it would help if I could remember how to spell his last name.  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think y'all will appreciate this.  I have been in 2 Twitter conversations today--one with a Catholic thinker/writer about the state of the Catholic Church in Eastern North Carolina and the events that unfolded here last night at a political rally, I was just doing my part to get some necessary info out as a practicing Catholic in the area

the second was with some librarians and romance writers about The Thorn Birds, the concept of Father Whatawaste and banging priests.  

I think I need to go to confession this weekend, but probably won't.

No worries, we can grant you dispensation here.

My mom was not born Catholic although she raised all 6 of us in the Church, even sent us to Catholic schools.  She wanted to convert but wasn't allowed due to a brief teenage marriage which was the sort of stupid stuff that prevented people from converting back in the 50's.  Finally, in her late 50's, my mom developed serious health problems and was scheduled for a risky surgery.  My sister asked her if she wanted to be baptized still.  She did.  My sister had a friend whose hubby worked at a church and she was able to arrange for the young, hip associate to do the honors since times had changed and the Church was no longer chasing people away (at least not for divorce). None of us had met the guy until he came to the hospital to baptize her.  We 3 oldest daughters were there along with my father.  When the priest walked in, we 3 turned to one another and simultaneously whispered, 'What a waste!'.  He was quite the looker.  He was also wearing a tweed jacket and loafers with argyle socks which caused my father to turn to my sister and ask where she found this guy, surely argyle socks were against the rules.  My dad forever after referred to him as 'that sporty priest that baptized your mother'. 

BTW, I am my mother's godmother.  My mom remained a faithful Catholic for the rest of her life.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 10
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Thank you to the posters who brought up the subject of donating blood.  Mr Barb used to donate quarterly when the Red Cross van came to his workplace. I think it's been awhile since he's donated now that he is retired & probably has forgotten all about it. I'm going to remind him he needs  to get back in the swing of donating.

I'm not sure I would qualify with my ailments- anemia, on blood thinners & history of pulmonary embolism  to name a few.  I guess I can ask Mr. Google what the Red Cross donation qualifications are.

I remember the old episode of the Duggars when JB  surprised the older girls & had them donate blood when Josie was born. IIRC, Jill has a needle phobia & was freaked out. (Can't blame her esp when JB surprised them.)  You would think with all the kidadults sitting around doing nothing, they could get them to donate blood especially since Jessa has already needed blood transfusions. 

The Red Cross can't take your donation due to the blood thinners.  They are often looking for volunteers to hand out cookies and such though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

No worries, we can grant you dispensation here.

My mom was not born Catholic although she raised all 6 of us in the Church, even sent us to Catholic schools.  She wanted to convert but wasn't allowed due to a brief teenage marriage which was the sort of stupid stuff that prevented people from converting back in the 50's.  Finally, in her late 50's, my mom developed serious health problems and was scheduled for a risky surgery.  My sister asked her if she wanted to be baptized still.  She did.  My sister had a friend whose hubby worked at a church and she was able to arrange for the young, hip associate to do the honors since times had changed and the Church was no longer chasing people away (at least not for divorce). None of us had met the guy until he came to the hospital to baptize her.  We 3 oldest daughters were there along with my father.  When the priest walked in, we 3 turned to one another and simultaneously whispered, 'What a waste!'.  He was quite the looker.  He was also wearing a tweed jacket and loafers with argyle socks which caused my father to turn to my sister and ask where she found this guy, surely argyle socks were against the rules.  My dad forever after referred to him as 'that sporty priest that baptized your mother'. 

BTW, I am my mother's godmother.  My mom remained a faithful Catholic for the rest of her life.

No way can it be Jeremy Vuolo. No one would describe him as that!

Just now, galaxychaser said:

No way can it be Jeremy Vuolo. No one would describe him as that!

In the event it was Jeremy, the descriptor used ever after would be "that really pretentious, obnoxious preacher who kept talking about when he was a pro soccer player." 😉 

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Zella said:

In the event it was Jeremy, the descriptor used ever after would be "that really pretentious, obnoxious preacher who kept talking about when he was a pro soccer player." 😉 

Exactly, this priest was actually a very nice guy.  He also said the Mass at my nephew's funeral and was a big comfort to my mom at that time.  He's still a priest, too, 30 years later.

• Love 2

Can someone please explain to this col why people are all of the sudden licking ice cream/spitting in tea and putting it on the grocery shelf's for someone to buy? What amazes me more is they record it then put it on social media so they came be....what? admired by their friends, to make the arrest easier? How do their friends react to this a high five, a slap upside the head? One guess as to what my reaction would be. I honestly do not understand this. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, louannems said:

I've been donating plasma twice a week since I retired, almost 5 years ago.  I used to donate whole blood once every 3 months, since my dad received so many units of blood and platelets during his last years of leukemia.

You have to wait 6 weeks after donating whole blood in order to donate plasma, so now I only do plasma. CSL Plasma is a short walk from my house, I don't need an appointment, and they are open 7 days a week from early til late.  So it's an easy thing for me to do.

Products derived from plasma include COPD meds, autoimmune meds, treatments for severe burns and clotting meds.

It takes just a little longer since the automatic machine cycles through 3 or 4 draws of whole blood,  with each draw being followed by return of your red blood cells while separating out the plasma, followed by a saline drops with heparin.

Including the kiosk screening, the usual health screen, and donation, I'm usually in and out in an hour.  The payment (for my weight) is $25 for the first of the month, raised by $5 increments each time, up to $65 for the 8th and sometimes 9th donations. On a long month, if I don't bruise, I make $400.  I let it accumulate on the Visa card until I have a few thousand.

Selling plasma was almost a part time job for one of my friends in college 

We have been staying with my mother in law while waiting for our house to close. My mother in law has been absolutely lovely and this is no comment on her housekeeping. 

She has very long hair - like down to her waist. I went to use her vacuum and was confused why it wasn’t working well since it looked pretty new. I looked around, and the brush rollers were covered in hair. So covered the rollers couldn’t rotate! I bet it took me a half an hour to cut all the hair off! The end result was a ball of hair bigger than a softball. 

A week later I vacuum again, and the brush rollers picked up more hair. 

So just imagine what the various Duggar houses are like with their infrequent cleaning and long hair!

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

We have been staying with my mother in law while waiting for our house to close. My mother in law has been absolutely lovely and this is no comment on her housekeeping. 

She has very long hair - like down to her waist. I went to use her vacuum and was confused why it wasn’t working well since it looked pretty new. I looked around, and the brush rollers were covered in hair. So covered the rollers couldn’t rotate! I bet it took me a half an hour to cut all the hair off! The end result was a ball of hair bigger than a softball. 

A week later I vacuum again, and the brush rollers picked up more hair. 

So just imagine what the various Duggar houses are like with their infrequent cleaning and long hair!

Thanks for the reminder that I need to check my vacuum.  My hair isn't long but it is plentiful and I shed a lot.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Thanks for the reminder that I need to check my vacuum.  My hair isn't long but it is plentiful and I shed a lot.  

My cat manages to do that to the vacuum every couple of weeks. She's a petite little thing, too, but even though she sheds more clumps of fur than you'd think she possibly could do without going bald, she still leaves enough more individual hairs to gunk up the rotator bar on a regular basis. Well, the dog probably doesn't help either. He's a Papillion, so while he's tiny and doesn't shed all that much in the major scheme of things, his fur is pretty long.

• Love 6

Interesting topic.  We were on the beach in Mexico in February, with lots of people of different cultures/nationalities and I was impressed that many of the women wore bikinis/skimpy enough bathing suits and walked the beach proudly.  I will never see them again and they obviously didn't care who thought what.  I wish I were that confident and free to be able to do the same. I am in pretty good shape for 75, and maybe next time we go there, I will attempt to give up my "modest" bathing suits and let my tummy and not perfect skin show.  As Fred Armisen playing Joy Bear said "so what, who cares".  Really no one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16