Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 7/12/2019 at 4:24 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just got results from pathology - - all results good! No sign of any residual or metastatic carcinoma in any of the tissue or lymph nodes removed. Wooohoooo!!! *big sigh of relief*.

PARTY!!!!!

ps...thanks so much to everyone for all the support!!

Great news!  I hope you have a quick recovery from surgery.  ☺️

• Love 4

Hi friends- FYI I’ve been getting all these spam calls lately with my pre-fix, and THEN today I got a spam call spoofing my own number!! I’ve downloaded an AT&T app that’s supposed to help. Ugh! I confirmed my mom and I were on the do not call list. 

4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi friends- FYI I’ve been getting all these spam calls lately with my pre-fix, and THEN today I got a spam call spoofing my own number!! I’ve downloaded an AT&T app that’s supposed to help. Ugh! I confirmed my mom and I were on the do not call list. 

I got one of those the other day that said it was my home number calling my home number. Yeah, no. We used to get tons of spam calls until I installed nomorobo on both our VOIP landline and cell. A few still get through but nowhere near the number that used to (both numbers are also already on the do not call list). So annoying.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I got one of those the other day that said it was my home number calling my home number. Yeah, no. We used to get tons of spam calls until I installed nomorobo on both our VOIP landline and cell. A few still get through but nowhere near the number that used to (both numbers are also already on the do not call list). So annoying.

I will install this- it’s an app? Thank you. 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Try Nomorobo.  It is an app, and it will work on cell or land line.  Works pretty well.  I bought a new Panasonic land line cordless phone that has a block button.  I love that button!!!  I've been getting repeated calls from "social security" telling me my SSN has been suspended.  That scam was on the news last week.  Everyone be careful out there!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Try Nomorobo.  It is an app, and it will work on cell or land line.  Works pretty well.  I bought a new Panasonic land line cordless phone that has a block button.  I love that button!!!  I've been getting repeated calls from "social security" telling me my SSN has been suspended.  That scam was on the news last week.  Everyone be careful out there!

Yes I just downloaded it. I will put it on my mom’s phone as well.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I had over 10 of these in the last couple of weeks.  I would block one #, they would call back from another and repeated this blocking all day.  They haven't called since.  It was a total pain!

• Love 1

My parents are elderly and in Assisted Living.  I bought them a Grandpad.  Check out their web site.  It is the like a smaller iPad, but it is their cell phone and email, as well as having a lot of games.  You can do video calls as well.  I like it because they can only call or receive calls from people I approve.  So I approved family and friends, but they cannot receive any scams or telemarketers.  You can put a photo by each phone number as well, and all they have to do is touch the photo to call.  My parents are pretty much gone memory-wise, but it would be really great for active seniors.  Since it runs on a cell network, it can be used anywhere.  And the customer service is the absolute BEST I have ever had anywhere.  You get your own personal agent.  She will call me if my parents forget to put it back on the charger.  They have slot or poker tournaments on the Grandpad every month.  They will also replace it if gets broken or goes missing.  Check it out if you are taking care of any seniors.  It is nice that I don't have to worry about scam calls, since my mother insists on speaking to anyone who calls---even the tape recordings.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I had over 10 of these in the last couple of weeks.  I would block one #, they would call back from another and repeated this blocking all day.  They haven't called since.  It was a total pain!

I had over 10 in ONE DAY.  Like you said, always a different number.  Once it hit the local news on TV, it slowed down.

• Love 4

I get spam calls in phases. I can go a month without getting one and then, bam, 10 in one day. I especially love the ones that have the same area code, first 6 numbers, and then change the last number. I have to keep blocking over and over. 

59 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

My parents are elderly and in Assisted Living.  I bought them a Grandpad.  Check out their web site.  It is the like a smaller iPad, but it is their cell phone and email, as well as having a lot of games.  You can do video calls as well.  I like it because they can only call or receive calls from people I approve.  So I approved family and friends, but they cannot receive any scams or telemarketers.  You can put a photo by each phone number as well, and all they have to do is touch the photo to call.  My parents are pretty much gone memory-wise, but it would be really great for active seniors.  Since it runs on a cell network, it can be used anywhere.  And the customer service is the absolute BEST I have ever had anywhere.  You get your own personal agent.  She will call me if my parents forget to put it back on the charger.  They have slot or poker tournaments on the Grandpad every month.  They will also replace it if gets broken or goes missing.  Check it out if you are taking care of any seniors.  It is nice that I don't have to worry about scam calls, since my mother insists on speaking to anyone who calls---even the tape recordings.

I’ve seen the commercials, and wondered about it. Thanks for posting.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I will install this- it’s an app? Thank you. 

For a landline, you sign up online at https://www.nomorobo.com/ and it's free (you need a VOIP line for it to work, I think). I find it works great at stopping most calls on my landline. If the phone rings once but not a second time, it's a robocall that was stopped and I love when that happens. For the cell, it may cost a nominal amount but it does identify the robocalls. Give it a try.

• Useful 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I’ve seen the commercials, and wondered about it. Thanks for posting.

We've had ours for almost 2 years, and I am still very happy with the equipment and the service.  It is serving as their phone service in the assisted living apartment, and it works very well.  But it can be carried around and used anywhere since it works like a cell phone.  It has a lot of different games of different types.  Just no internet, which is fine with me since it keeps them from answering scams or being hacked.  No one can get into their bank accounts, or anything like that.  And no passwords to forget!

Edited by CalicoKitty
added more info
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

For a landline, you sign up online at https://www.nomorobo.com/ and it's free (you need a VOIP line for it to work, I think). I find it works great at stopping most calls on my landline. If the phone rings once but not a second time, it's a robocall that was stopped and I love when that happens. For the cell, it may cost a nominal amount but it does identify the robocalls. Give it a try.

I'm pretty sure it worked with ATT when I still had a regular land line.  I know it works with Ooma (VOIP).  I was going to add my parent's ATT line before they moved.  I know you can add more than one number to the account, so I don't think it is just for VOIP lines.  I could be wrong, but I think this is what I remember.

38 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Thanks so much but I don’t have a land line any more. I will report back on my findings. 

• Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t get why this happens. A lady I met kept saying my husband every other sentence. I’m like I get it you are married!  

New husband, maybe? I noticed some women are really catty and possessive when they first snag a guy. Like, showing off but also marking their territory? It's weird. 

When I was in college, my roommate and I were both friends with a guy--no attraction whatsoever. But we worked with him and used to hang out with him sometimes after work. Then he got a girlfriend, he wouldn't even make eye contact with me, and she was an utter bitch to me. I asked my roommate about it, and she said, "Oh yeah I think she feels super threatened by you." And then she added, "Should I be offended or relieved she's apparently not threatened by me?" 😂🤣😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Nope she has been with him since 2001. And then she has 18 year old cat... that’s all she talks about. I don’t need to know what diseases and medicine your cat takes. 

Hmm I'm out of ideas on her, but she sounds really obnoxious.

I think I may have attended grad school with her twin sister. There was a girl in my department who did nothing but tell fucking sad cat stories. Like, people would run away from her at departmental functions because of it. I got pinned in with her for about five minutes at a Christmas party, and I easily heard several cat stories, one involving a cat dying under a porch. That was all my nerves could take before I got away. Even her student evals on Rate My Professor mentioned how much she liked to talk about her cats. If she had been married since 2001, I would think your crazy person was her! 😫

• LOL 3

I met her on Twitter and we wound up at the nick Kroll Show together. She sat behind me somewhere. We decided to meet after the show to go home together. Thanks to her I found the bus stop. If it wasn’t for her I’d still be in NJ. But man for 2 hours nothing but husband, cat and bestie who moved away. And how she and most of their friends are child free by choice.  

Well at least I made it back to NY. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t get why this happens. A lady I met kept saying my husband every other sentence. I’m like I get it you are married!  

I have a friend who is currently doing the "I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!!!111!!!!" shtick. She texts me pictures of him for no absolute reason and I'm constantly puzzled why. I get she's excited, but we're no longer 16. I've started ignoring and she hasn't gotten the message I don't care. The guy is not all that great and I don't care to engage with someone whom she is already having massive fights with.

• LOL 4
6 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I have a friend who is currently doing the "I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!!!111!!!!" shtick. She texts me pictures of him for no absolute reason and I'm constantly puzzled why. I get she's excited, but we're no longer 16. I've started ignoring and she hasn't gotten the message I don't care. The guy is not all that great and I don't care to engage with someone whom she is already having massive fights with.

Yeah texting you pics of him is just bizarre. I don't think I've ever had a friend do that. 

• Love 2

It just reeks of attention seeking behavior and wanting validation. Like, what do I say? "Maybe you should introduce him to soap and water"? "That's really gross and not all that funny"? It's the equivalent of Jill Dillard's #BestHubbyEver.

My friends had to go searching to find pictures of the lad I'm seeing. We've kept it on the down low just because I may be moving now and long distance is not ideal. His mom figured it out last weekend what's been happening and she's not very happy. That's something I will deal with if it comes to it though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have noticed all of my friends with really awful boyfriends and husbands are inordinately proud of them. I remember one asked me if she should stop talking about her boyfriend (now husband) since I wasn't with anyone, and I was like, if it was just me and him left on planet earth, I'd gut him with a rock. So, yes, please stop talking about him but not for the reasons you think. 

My friends who are married to or dating good guys are usually pretty quiet about their relationship. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Bahahaha This made me choke on my Coke! 

Thank you, thank you. I won't be here all night but I've been a real bitch on wheels lately so zingers like that slip out every once in a while.

I pointed it out to one of my (formerly) married friends that people who have the strongest relationships generally don't boast on social media about each other. She told me that I had no idea of dynamics of relationships and that social media behavior wasn't a good barometer of how relationships function. I said "Watch and observe". As soon as her marriage started to hit the shitter all of a sudden the #BestHubbyEver #LoveMyHubby posts started.

I had it pinpointed down to the week when things started to go downhill. She confided in me a few months back that people had no idea how bad her marriage got in the last few years. I was like, oh I knew. I didn't have to be told. I just watched and listened as you over-compensated by telling us how great everything was and it was better than ever.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Thank you, thank you. I won't be here all night but I've been a real bitch on wheels lately so zingers like that slip out every once in a while.

I pointed it out to one of my (formerly) married friends that people who have the strongest relationships generally don't boast on social media about each other. She told me that I had no idea of dynamics of relationships and that social media behavior wasn't a good barometer of how relationships function. I said "Watch and observe". As soon as her marriage started to hit the shitter all of a sudden the #BestHubbyEver #LoveMyHubby posts started.

I had it pinpointed down to the week when things started to go downhill. She confided in me a few months back that people had no idea how bad her marriage got in the last few years. I was like, oh I knew. I didn't have to be told. I just watched and listened as you over-compensated by telling us how great everything was and it was better than ever.

Yep, I have one friend who posts constantly about her husband, whom I strongly suspect is quite emotionally abusive. 😞 She repeatedly calls him "perfect" and "magical." I can't help but notice he never posts about her. Unless it is an anecdote to make her look stupid. I think they even separated a few years ago for a few months. They had a cover story for why they were living states away, but she posted repeatedly every day about how much she missed him and hated being away from him. He seemed pretty happy. It made me sad for her, but I don't think she's ever going to stop broadcasting what a fabulous catch he allegedly is. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

I have noticed all of my friends with really awful boyfriends and husbands are inordinately proud of them. I remember one asked me if she should stop talking about her boyfriend (now husband) since I wasn't with anyone, and I was like, if it was just me and him left on planet earth, I'd gut him with a rock. So, yes, please stop talking about him but not for the reasons you think. 

My friends who are married to or dating good guys are usually pretty quiet about their relationship. 

Isn't that funny and perverse!  I think that is consistent with Jill.  They may be trying to convince themselves as much as others.

• Love 2
Just now, Suzn said:

Isn't that funny and perverse!  I think that is consistent with Jill.  They may be trying to convince themselves as much as others.

Exactly! Of all the Duggar households, I suspect Jill's and Derick's is probably the most uncomfortable roof to be under day in and day out. Their relationship just seems so toxic, no matter what she says. I suspect Josiah's and Lauren's house is also a really uncomfortable passive-aggressive war zone constantly. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Exactly! Of all the Duggar households, I suspect Jill's and Derick's is probably the most uncomfortable roof to be under day in and day out. Their relationship just seems so toxic, no matter what she says. I suspect Josiah's and Lauren's house is also a really uncomfortable passive-aggressive war zone constantly. 

It's sad, but to me, more maddening.  If they owned up to how bad their marriages are, they would have to do something.  Of course, if I had to look into Derick's evil eyes every day, I'd have to open a vein.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I have a? Because the Duggars don't like  to use the word sex do they ask the other person if they want to have gender tonight?

I'm envisioning some super awkward euphemism. 

Actually, I'm envisioning the way Billy Bob Thornton refers to "the sex act" in The Man Who Wasn't There (as in the gloriously awkward quote "My wife and I have not performed the sex act in many years")but I think that's too frank for them. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Omg that is so true! And I hate the whole "you're not married so you don't understand" crowd. I had a girl insist the other day that it's totally normal for her husband to read all her texts, because, "my loyalty is to him, and I'd never hide anything from him. You just don't understand because you're not married!" I said, "well, what if your friend confides in you that she has genital warts?" The girl insisted that it was not violating her friends' privacy for him to read their messages, and I'd understand one day. I said, "what if she specifically told you it was a secret? Or if you were a therapist and texting your patient, and him reading it was illegal?" Still the same response...they're one! They're a team! How awful of me to expect them to hide things from each other! And if your husband doesn't care about the minute details of your friends' lives, he sucks and doesn't care about you at all!

i mean, one of my friends just got cheated on, and she said he was always super awkward about her seeing his phone. I do think that behavior is a red flag. But your husband isn't disinterested in you if he doesn't care what your friend ate for lunch, and IMO, a secret should remain a secret! But what do I know? I'm just too unloved to understand. (Barf)

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 5

I never hide my phone from Husband. If he wants to look at my texts, fine. If I have an incoming text and he sees it, he’ll just yell over, “so and so just texted you!” If my phone rings he won’t even answer it unless I tell him to. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I never hide my phone from Husband. If he wants to look at my texts, fine. If I have an incoming text and he sees it, he’ll just yell over, “so and so just texted you!” If my phone rings he won’t even answer it unless I tell him to. 

I doubt he reads every text, though! I just find that creepy. I know my mom's passcode and definitely pick up her phone, but I would never snoop. I just feel like your friends' privacy is important! The way this girl was saying that he reads every text she gets, and not sharing something a friend told her in confidence was "keeping things from him" made the red flags pop up everywhere! I'd laugh if anyone I was with said, "you took the phone away before I read what Emily had for lunch today! QUIT KEEPING THINGS FROM ME!!!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My poor dad finally got a cell phone a couple of weeks ago. I haven't seen him yet, so I don't know what it looks like but he butt dialed me at 4:30 am last week and then again early in the afternoon. I always talk to him between 6-7 pm, so I flipped out and assumed something horrible at happened. I called him and got this bewildered explanation from him: "I don't know how my ass dialed your number! I hate this damn phone!" Poor guy. 

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Omg that is so true! And I hate the whole "you're not married so you don't understand" crowd. I had a girl insist the other day that it's totally normal for her husband to read all her texts, because, "my loyalty is to him, and I'd never hide anything from him. You just don't understand because you're not married!" I said, "well, what if your friend confides in you that she has genital warts?" The girl insisted that it was not violating her friends' privacy for him to read their messages, and I'd understand one day. I said, "what if she specifically told you it was a secret? Or if you were a therapist and texting your patient, and him reading it was illegal?" Still the same response...they're one! They're a team! How awful of me to expect them to hide things from each other! And if your husband doesn't care about the minute details of your friends' lives, he sucks and doesn't care about you at all!

i mean, one of my friends just got cheated on, and she said he was always super awkward about her seeing his phone. I do think that behavior is a red flag. But your husband isn't disinterested in you if he doesn't care what your friend ate for lunch, and IMO, a secret should remain a secret! But what do I know? I'm just too unloved to understand. (Barf)

Unfortunately I generally have a very good read on people in real life. Whether or not I listen to that read is a different story. It is nothing about been there, done that. You can glean a lot about human behavior by quietly observing. 

Had I been smarter I just would have gone to med school and became a psychiatrist. Instead I pursused whatever it is I'm doing right now...

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Gave blood today! (Work drive). Just eating my pretzels. 

Thank you. Blood supplies get low, especially when there’s a disaster (when most people think to donate). I applaud you. Enjoy your pretzels and eat something tonight which has a lot of iron in it (red meat, tofu, spinach, legumes or beans, or egg yolks). 

• Love 4
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

Thank you. Blood supplies get low, especially when there’s a disaster (when most people think to donate). I applaud you. Enjoy your pretzels and eat something tonight which has a lot of iron in it (red meat, tofu, spinach, legumes or beans, or egg yolks). 

I’m a vegetarian- I packed a spinach salad for lunch. My O+ self is happy to help, even with sickle cell trait. 😀

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Gave blood today! (Work drive). Just eating my pretzels. 

That's awesome!!! How long does it last? I've always wanted to give blood, but I am so squeamish and afraid of needles. However, every time I've had bloodwork done lately, it's seemed better and shorter than I expected. Are you sitting up or lying down when you donate? I'd really like to be able to do it, but I've always been scared. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m a vegetarian- I packed a spinach salad for lunch. My O+ self is happy to help, even with sickle cell trait. 😀

That’s why I mentioned spinach and tofu...in case you didn’t eat meat. You will be saving the life of someone. Kudos. I can’t say it enough. I owe my life to someone who donated their blood. 

• Love 12