Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Out of surgery, now I can't get to sleep ( or every time I drift off they come to check my vitals or my catheter or something). So I figured I'd check in. Surgery took a couple of hours longer than expected because it got very fiddly around all the scar tissue from a nasty hysterectomy some years ago, plus there was a hernia in the way, but all went well. They removed 6" of colon to be on the safe side, but visually everything looks clear. Will get results back from the lab in a couple of days. I'm feeling reasonably ok unless I have to move lol. My blood pressure also plummeted from being on the high side even with medication to something like 84/59, so that's a bit puzzling. I guess they will figure it out in the morning. Sleep well, everyone.! I'll try to drift off again here and see if I get some peace.

I hope they let you get a good night's sleep.  Feel better.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Out of surgery, now I can't get to sleep ( or every time I drift off they come to check my vitals or my catheter or something). So I figured I'd check in. Surgery took a couple of hours longer than expected because it got very fiddly around all the scar tissue from a nasty hysterectomy some years ago, plus there was a hernia in the way, but all went well. They removed 6" of colon to be on the safe side, but visually everything looks clear. Will get results back from the lab in a couple of days. I'm feeling reasonably ok unless I have to move lol. My blood pressure also plummeted from being on the high side even with medication to something like 84/59, so that's a bit puzzling. I guess they will figure it out in the morning. Sleep well, everyone.! I'll try to drift off again here and see if I get some peace.

Hope you can get some sleep tonight! Thanks for taking the time to update us. 🙂

• Love 6
On 5/22/2019 at 4:03 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Mr. Jyn is furious with me again...I wish I knew whether I was simply stupid or whether he overreacts, or whether I do, or what, but I'm a mess right now and he doesn't want to talk to me.

When I called my mom in the hospital this afternoon after my appointment to let her know I'd be down to visit her and to see what she might need me to pick up from her place on the way through, she said, "Oh, isn't *Mr. Jyn* coming?", and, though I didn't think he'd really planned on it, I asked him again since he was standing right there. He hissed, "well, I guess I am NOW", and even though Mom, on the phone, said, "oh, don't worry, if he has other things planned, that's OK", he wouldn't hear of it. When I told him, after I hung up with her, that it was quite OK if he didn't come, he just snapped, "Don't even go there!", and refused not to come along. Of course, he was perfectly nice during the visit at the hospital.

Earlier that morning, before my doctor's appointment, he had said he'd take me out to dinner (I guess to celebrate if things looked as though they were going OK with me or, alternately, to spare me from having to cook dinner if the news was worse), but he didn't say a word to me all the way home (about 45 minute drive) or when we got back. Only after I asked him if he was still looking at going out, he said, "I don't know what I want!", then proceeded to tell me how I never thought before I spoke, and how I had put him in a terrible position with my mother with no room to talk anything over, and that I "threw him to the wolves" (as I apparently do all the time) through never thinking before I speak, even though he constantly works to protect me from anything she might say proactively (yes, she can be quite judgmental and it's worn a wedge in our relationship throughout my life, but, again, that may be just as much my fault as hers since I do tend to be too sensitive)...But even though he does this for me on a regular basis, I can't, according to him, be bothered to even think ahead enough to show him the same courtesy, and he has to go through the trauma (his term) of having to deal with her dissatisfaction/disappointment/judgmental remarks because I never think ahead.

Of course, we are not going out to dinner now, partially because my face is too swollen from crying, and partially because he just doesn't really want to see me right now. But he hasn't eaten anything all day and didn't even have anything but chips and dip for dinner last night because we had a really big lunch. But he won't hear of me making dinner because he's not hungry now anyway. He's gone to bed even though it's not even 7:00, though who knows if he'll wake up hungry later on. I'll probably be hungry at some point, but there are plenty of leftovers in the fridge, so I'll find something. He hates leftovers, though.

Sorry to vent like this...I'm just really frustrated and aggravated, and feeling as though I never do anything right. Sometimes this feels like my life. I have to walk on eggshells a lot because I always manage to screw up.

Even if you did do something “wrong” - which I doubt - this is how he handles it? Being nasty and passive-aggressive and screwing with your head when you’re facing cancer surgery? I don’t know you and you don’t know me so I will refrain from shooting off my mouth as much as I would like to, and just say that I think his behavior is terrible and you do not deserve it. I am infuriated on your behalf. 

• Love 8
On 6/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, DragonFaerie said:

Just wanted everyone to know, they told us last week that the doctors box of tricks was empty.  Attempting to drain fluid of of Mr. Dragon's lungs or doing more dialysis would send him into a cardiac arrest.  I brought him home with hospice on this past Friday, May 31 with weeks according to the doctors.  His parents and siblings arrived Friday night and saw him.  Then he and I and a friend that helped me prep the room for him and get him settled in.  We laughed and joked and watched tv.  Then it was just he and I and we talked about so many things and it was wonderful.  He passed to the Summerland Sunday, June 2nd, at 2:07 pm - a shock to us all.  

Oh, I am so very sorry, DragonFaerie! I just don’t have any words for such a profound loss, except to say that you are in my thoughts and I send much love. 

• Love 6
On 7/3/2019 at 8:18 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Rockford's answering machine was revolutionary. Nobody had them during the early years of the show. 😁

I always carry a kazoo in my car. - I started this in the ‘70s (I cant even remember why) and my favorite thing was playing along any time the Rockford Files theme came on the radio. 

Playing along with the horn section on “25 or 6 to 4” is pretty great also. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

@DragonFaerie  I don't know if you are checking in here but if you are I just wanted you to know I've been thinking about you.  Hoping things are getting a little brighter each day.  

@Jynnan tonnix  Thank you for checking in with us. I've been thinking about you all day. Hoping you get some rest.  Happy dreams!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Even if you did do something “wrong” - which I doubt - this is how he handles it? Being nasty and passive-aggressive and screwing with your head when you’re facing cancer surgery? I don’t know you and you don’t know me so I will refrain from shooting off my mouth as much as I would like to, and just say that I think his behavior is terrible and you do not deserve it. I am infuriated on your behalf. 

He has his moments...but he's been nothing but considerate in the days leading up to the surgery. Honestly, he can be the most thoughtful person in the world a lot of the time, but he does have that hair-trigger temper sometimes, and it's hard to know what might set it off. All is good, though. Sometimes I just need to vent when he goes off.

• Love 14

Jynnan Tonnix, my mom had about a foot of her intestines/colon removed late last year, so you came close to her record, lol! It took a while for her system to figure out how to move things normally again, but it eventually all started working fine again. It's amazing what doctors and modern medicine can do now! I hope your recovery is smooth and uneventful.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, dariafan said:

Sending Jyn get well soon thoughts...and also offering to beat someone with a shoe, if she so needs it......  

Thanks! I don't think any beating is needed at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 7/9/2019 at 1:15 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Glad to hear this news and let yourself take time to recover!

• Love 4
On 7/8/2019 at 10:29 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Other thyroid tells are sudden weight gain and brittle nails. If you have all three symptoms, it's a good chance that your thyroid is out of whack.

Ugh, I had all three, and my doctor refused to investigate. 😡😡😡

I'm feeling sooooo discouraged about the job thing! My district had three elementary music jobs open up at once, which is unheard of...but they've all three been filled, and I never even got an interview!!! How is that possible? There's no way there are this many outstanding music educators around here. Now, nothing is open. This has probably been the best summer ever for finding a music job, and I only had that one interview. I hate to think unfairly of anyone, but I really, really wonder if my principal is saying bad things about me. He told me he would give me a good reference, but he lies all the time. I just don't see how I wouldn't get interviews, because I know I have a strong cover letter and resume, as well as five years of experience, not only with chorus, but starting a drama program from scratch. I just don't see how I'm getting overlooked! I keep telling myself that God is in control, and there's some reason I'm not getting these jobs, but...does God want me to work at McDonald's? I'm lucky that my parents and roommate all want me to wait for the right job, and don't expect me to go to McDonald's, especially now that I don't have but minimal bills, that I can pay with my part time job. This lady I know from church posted the other day that she found a job after a year and a half...and I thought, "that will be me, if I'm lucky." But that is suuuuch a long time! Everyone in my life is just relieved that I got away from all the trauma of my old job, and they enjoy seeing me not getting constant migraines and being sick at least once a month, and I agree. I still wake up every single morning feeling grateful that I don't have to see my principal. It's the most cathartic thing I've ever done!

i definitely think that I've put my life on hold for too long, though, with all the uncertainty. I think I will feel better if I don't get a teaching job (and I don't even want to think that!), if I start volunteering, and joining a community choir that I've been wanting to do. I've been hesitating to get involved because I didn't want to have to quit if I found a job soon, and on some level, I didn't feel I deserved extracurriculars if I didn't have a job. Plus, you never know who you can meet when you get out in the community. 

But please do send good vibes about finding s teaching job for this year! I'm still trying my best to be positive. There is a month and a half before school even starts, and sometimes they don't even fill every position until a month in! I just hope the issue isn't my principal, because I don't see any way around that...and moving wouldn't even help! Although...I do feel that he wouldn't hesitate to give me a good review for a non-teaching job, because he really couldn't care less about that. He just thinks he has this honorable crusade to keep me out of the classroom because I don't meet *his* standards, but I've always had good performance reviews, and have been liked by every other admin, so I clearly meet the state's standards. 

• Love 17
(edited)
6 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Second opinion, if you’re able! Sorry about your doctor. 😥

And you may be right, sadly about your principal. There is a lot of politics in education and principals get together all the time.

I like your idea of doing what you love and getting involved in community activities while you look for a job. Good luck!

Edited by Love2dance
More to say
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Same thing happened to me. My conservative, old school GP thought I was just being neurotic because I did have a history of depression. He wanted to put me on antidepressants, but I knew it wasn't in my head and that something was physically wrong with me.

I was so ill, I had to take medical leave from work because my reflexes were too slow and I couldn't concentrate. I also suffered from severe insomnia and constant anxiety. My brain was so muddled that simple things like setting the table or parking the car were a challenge. The least little thing would make me cry.

The doctor finally agreed to test me "if it will make you happy." But by that time my TSH level had shot up to over 130 (normal range was 0.4 - 5.5).  Any higher and I would have been in the hospital.

I don't know why doctors are so resistant when women report thyroid symptoms, but I imagine it might be that they think we only want thyroid supplements so we can lose weight.

Edited by Bayarea4

Still in the hospital...I have not managed to pass gas yet (to say nothing of anything else), and while I am feeling a little bit better as far as surgical pain, now I am getting quite a bit of abdominal gas and bloat which also feels pretty bad! Hope I can manage to shift some of it soon. Trying to keep pain meds to a minimum so they don't mind me up even more, but I have been needing a little. 

• Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Still in the hospital...I have not managed to pass gas yet (to say nothing of anything else), and while I am feeling a little bit better as far as surgical pain, now I am getting quite a bit of abdominal gas and bloat which also feels pretty bad! Hope I can manage to shift some of it soon. Trying to keep pain meds to a minimum so they don't mind me up even more, but I have been needing a little. 

So sorry, @Jynnan tonnix. That can't feel good. My husband had 12 inches of his colon removed in 2007 and I remember in the hospital waiting for him to be able to fart, as it was a major milestone. I look back fondly on the time when he couldn't do it... 😉

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 16
1 hour ago, Bayarea4 said:

Same thing happened to me. My conservative, old school GP thought I was just being neurotic because I did have a history of depression. He wanted to put me on antidepressants, but I knew it wasn't in my head and that something was physically wrong with me.

I was so ill, I had to take medical leave from work because my reflexes were too slow and I couldn't concentrate. I also suffered from severe insomnia and constant anxiety. My brain was so muddled that simple things like setting the table or parking the car were a challenge. The least little thing would make me cry.

The doctor finally agreed to test me "if it will make you happy." But by that time my TSH level had shot up to over 130 (normal range was 0.4 - 5.5).  Any higher and I would have been in the hospital.

I don't know why doctors are so resistant when women report thyroid symptoms, but I imagine it might be that they think we only want thyroid supplements so we can lose weight.

By the time my husband was tested his TSH was greater than 200. His medication has been adjusted by our family doctor (internal medicine) and his numbers "look good" but the past few weeks he is more tired and has weight gain. We are going to ask for a referral to endocrinologist and hoping to find someone on our insurance plan who will look beyond the numbers and offer some help. Very discouraging...

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

My husband had 12 inches of his colon removed in 2007 and I remember in the hospital waiting for him to be able to fart, as it was a major milestone

I had a right hemicolectomy last year.  Trust me no one should ever have to go through that.  They had to convert to an open procedure just to add more fun to the project.

9 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I'm feeling sooooo discouraged about the job thing! My district had three elementary music jobs open up at once, which is unheard of...but they've all three been filled, and I never even got an interview!!! How is that possible? There's no way there are this many outstanding music educators around here. Now, nothing is open. This has probably been the best summer ever for finding a music job, and I only had that one interview. I hate to think unfairly of anyone, but I really, really wonder if my principal is saying bad things about me. He told me he would give me a good reference, but he lies all the time. I just don't see how I wouldn't get interviews, because I know I have a strong cover letter and resume, as well as five years of experience, not only with chorus, but starting a drama program from scratch. I just don't see how I'm getting overlooked! I keep telling myself that God is in control, and there's some reason I'm not getting these jobs, but...does God want me to work at McDonald's? I'm lucky that my parents and roommate all want me to wait for the right job, and don't expect me to go to McDonald's, especially now that I don't have but minimal bills, that I can pay with my part time job. This lady I know from church posted the other day that she found a job after a year and a half...and I thought, "that will be me, if I'm lucky." But that is suuuuch a long time! Everyone in my life is just relieved that I got away from all the trauma of my old job, and they enjoy seeing me not getting constant migraines and being sick at least once a month, and I agree. I still wake up every single morning feeling grateful that I don't have to see my principal. It's the most cathartic thing I've ever done!

i definitely think that I've put my life on hold for too long, though, with all the uncertainty. I think I will feel better if I don't get a teaching job (and I don't even want to think that!), if I start volunteering, and joining a community choir that I've been wanting to do. I've been hesitating to get involved because I didn't want to have to quit if I found a job soon, and on some level, I didn't feel I deserved extracurriculars if I didn't have a job. Plus, you never know who you can meet when you get out in the community. 

But please do send good vibes about finding s teaching job for this year! I'm still trying my best to be positive. There is a month and a half before school even starts, and sometimes they don't even fill every position until a month in! I just hope the issue isn't my principal, because I don't see any way around that...and moving wouldn't even help! Although...I do feel that he wouldn't hesitate to give me a good review for a non-teaching job, because he really couldn't care less about that. He just thinks he has this honorable crusade to keep me out of the classroom because I don't meet *his* standards, but I've always had good performance reviews, and have been liked by every other admin, so I clearly meet the state's standards. 

Christina, I think the community involvement is a great idea. My volunteer work in my community has definitely helped me with networking, and it sounds like a choir would be a great way to meet folks who have a connection to music education. 

• Love 9
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

Christina, I think the community involvement is a great idea. My volunteer work in my community has definitely helped me with networking, and it sounds like a choir would be a great way to meet folks who have a connection to music education. 

Thanks!!! Plus, choirs often have older, established people who have all kinds of connections. I've narrowed it down to a couple, but the one I'm most leaning towards joining is a community choir through a university, and universities hire lots of people!

You know what another gripe is that I have about the job world? I had an awful migraine Sunday night (like...legitimately couldn't even string a thought together), and also on Sunday, a friend in the business world recommended me to a recruiter. The recruiter sent me a message on linked in, asking if I wanted to interview with her Monday at 10:30 am (it was maybe around 7-8 pm when I got this message). But obviously I didn't read it. Even Monday, I still had the headache, but responded to her. She then acted like it had been ten years since she sent the original message, saying, "send your resume. The hiring director may not have made a decision yet." Like wtf???? less than twenty-four hours had passed, but she acted like I was soooooo irresponsible for getting back to her so late. 

That kind of thing also happened a couple weeks ago, when I got randomly solicited by a school I hadn't applied to, as an English teacher (which I only did one year), which would have been a bit of a drive (almost an hour, on the interstate). The principal sent the email at maybe 3:00 or so on a Friday afternoon. Needless to say, I was totally surprised by it, and I wanted to talk it over with my best friend. I talked it over with her, and decided to just give it a shot, so I sent an email to her on Friday night, with my availability for the next week. On Monday, she responded, "you're still interested?!" like it had been 10 years. It was a freaking weekend, AND I got back to her THAT SAME DAY!!!

It's just so frustrating...you are expected to get back to a potential hiring manager IMMEDIATELY, like 30 minutes tops later, but then they can just ghost you, or leave you hanging forever, and it's acceptable. They can trip over themselves in interviews, promising to let you know no matter what, and then you never hear from them again. When did it get like this? When I looked for my original teaching job, I remember thinking responding the next day was totally fine, and I never got chided at my job for responding to work emails the next day, or on a Monday if I got the email on a Friday. Where did this culture come from where we're expected to immediately write people back, or we're laughably out of the running? Are people not allowed to get sick and neglect to check their email once on a Sunday night?! I mean, there's something to be said about responding asap given how competitive the job market is, but they shouldn't treat you like dirt if you respond the next day.

Crazy work world. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Thanks!!! Plus, choirs often have older, established people who have all kinds of connections. I've narrowed it down to a couple, but the one I'm most leaning towards joining is a community choir through a university, and universities hire lots of people!

You know what another gripe is that I have about the job world? I had an awful migraine Sunday night (like...legitimately couldn't even string a thought together), and also on Sunday, a friend in the business world recommended me to a recruiter. The recruiter sent me a message on linked in, asking if I wanted to interview with her Monday at 10:30 am (it was maybe around 7-8 pm when I got this message). But obviously I didn't read it. Even Monday, I still had the headache, but responded to her. She then acted like it had been ten years since she sent the original message, saying, "send your resume. The hiring director may not have made a decision yet." Like wtf???? less than twenty-four hours had passed, but she acted like I was soooooo irresponsible for getting back to her so late. 

That kind of thing also happened a couple weeks ago, when I got randomly solicited by a school I hadn't applied to, as an English teacher (which I only did one year), which would have been a bit of a drive (almost an hour, on the interstate). The principal sent the email at maybe 3:00 or so on a Friday afternoon. Needless to say, I was totally surprised by it, and I wanted to talk it over with my best friend. I talked it over with her, and decided to just give it a shot, so I sent an email to her on Friday night, with my availability for the next week. On Monday, she responded, "you're still interested?!" like it had been 10 years. It was a freaking weekend, AND I got back to her THAT SAME DAY!!!

It's just so frustrating...you are expected to get back to a potential hiring manager IMMEDIATELY, like 30 minutes tops later, but then they can just ghost you, or leave you hanging forever, and it's acceptable. They can trip over themselves in interviews, promising to let you know no matter what, and then you never hear from them again. When did it get like this? When I looked for my original teaching job, I remember thinking responding the next day was totally fine, and I never got chided at my job for responding to work emails the next day, or on a Monday if I got the email on a Friday. Where did this culture come from where we're expected to immediately write people back, or we're laughably out of the running? Are people not allowed to get sick and neglect to check their email once on a Sunday night?! I mean, there's something to be said about responding asap given how competitive the job market is, but they shouldn't treat you like dirt if you respond the next day.

Crazy work world. 

Yeah as a freelancer, I feel a lot of pressure to respond right away. I'm kind of neurotic and obsessively check my email, but sometimes I just am not in a position to respond. I don't think it's fair to penalize folks for that.

I also think this weekend something must have been in the water on LinkedIn. As I have mentioned on here before, I started my own business several months ago. I connect with people on LinkedIn whom I've never met--something I would never do anywhere else on social media. And someone in my industry wanted to connect with me. I did, thinking it would be a silent but potentially useful connection like virtually everybody else.

Next thing I know, the crazy bastard is messaging me constantly, asking for endorsements, though I didn't know him, and hinting that he might have something to talk to me about and constantly checking my profile. Like, seriously, go into private mode if you want to be a creep. I finally just blocked him. 

11 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Finally! Two little baby fartlets! Hallelujah!    My belly feels better already!

Yay! 🙂 Hope you can go home soon, Jyn!

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah as a freelancer, I feel a lot of pressure to respond right away. I'm kind of neurotic and obsessively check my email, but sometimes I just am not in a position to respond. I don't think it's fair to penalize folks for that.

I also think this weekend something must have been in the water on LinkedIn. As I have mentioned on here before, I started my own business several months ago. I connect with people on LinkedIn whom I've never met--something I would never do anywhere else on social media. And someone in my industry wanted to connect with me. I did, thinking it would be a silent but useful potentially connection like virtually everybody else.

Next thing I know, the crazy bastard is messaging me constantly, asking for endorsements, though I didn't know him, and hinting that he might have something to talk to me about and constantly checking my profile. Like, seriously, go into private mode if you want to be a creep. I finally just blocked him. 

Yay! 🙂 Hope you can go home soon, Jyn!

Wow, that is SUPER weird and creepy. I hope you don't hear from him anymore! You'd think people wouldn't use THAT social media site to be creepy, but there are some weirdos out there! 

@galaxychaser how are you doing? I really feel for you, with your hair. I lost 25% of mine three years ago, and it was a HORRIBLE experience! I can totally relate to how scared you must be feeling. I remember it itching and burning a lot while it was falling out, and worrying that I would need a wig. I got put on iron tablets, because my ferritin was low, and it started growing back. A year later, it was pretty much back to its normal thickness! Now, it has recently been falling out again, but not as bad. Just saw more in the drain for a while, and it's obviously thinner. I can relate to the sheer panic of losing it, though. I obsessively photographed the top of my head for a few months. Please do keep us updated on your journey!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

RIGHT???? My doctor was right out of medical school and naturally super skinny, so I'd bet all my money that: 

1. She probably just thought I ate Doritos day and night, and...

2. She had limited knowledge of how to diagnose it, beyond just the simplest tests. 

Now I'm looking for another doctor that I can use on my insurance. It would be so nice to get a job and better insurance soon!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Wow, that is SUPER weird and creepy. I hope you don't hear from him anymore! You'd think people wouldn't use THAT social media site to be creepy, but there are some weirdos out there! 

Yeah, I got a weird feeling when I received his request but disregarded it because I thought I was being paranoid, which was dumb because I know I usually have pretty good spidey senses when something gives me the willies like that. Well, that's what I get for ignoring my intuition I guess. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

@galaxychaser how are you doing? I really feel for you, with your hair. I lost 25% of mine three years ago, and it was a HORRIBLE experience! I can totally relate to how scared you must be feeling. I remember it itching and burning a lot while it was falling out, and worrying that I would need a wig. I got put on iron tablets, because my ferritin was low, and it started growing back. A year later, it was pretty much back to its normal thickness! Now, it has recently been falling out again, but not as bad. Just saw more in the drain for a while, and it's obviously thinner. I can relate to the sheer panic of losing it, though. I obsessively photographed the top of my head for a few months. Please do keep us updated on your journey!

When I chopped off all my hair . The hair dresser held up the mirror so I can see the back. Yikes I’m missing hair, receding 

when I had long hair I didn’t notice anything 

now no way to hide it unless I wear a hat 24/7. 

I take biotin and a multi vitamin for months to begin with. I guess it’s not helping 

23 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I'm feeling sooooo discouraged about the job thing! My district had three elementary music jobs open up at once, which is unheard of...but they've all three been filled, and I never even got an interview!!! How is that possible?

I don’t know if you’re district works like ours, but have you ever thought to put in as a substitute, working only for music teachers who call in sick?  Then a plethora of principals will see you at work and if a position opens up, they’d know your work. Or maybe they’d think of you if their music teacher takes a leave of absence. Just a thought.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ehall1052 said:

I don’t know if you’re district works like ours, but have you ever thought to put in as a substitute, working only for music teachers who call in sick?  Then a plethora of principals will see you at work and if a position opens up, they’d know your work. Or maybe they’d think of you if their music teacher takes a leave of absence. Just a thought.

I've thought about it, but the only drawback to subbing is that you have a completely different schedule every day, which would be awful for my migraines. I need to find a job (either teaching or an office type job) where I wake up at the same time every day, and eat my meals at the same time. I would, however, LOVE to fill in for a teacher on maternity leave, even if it's a different subject! The last year I taught music, one of the teachers did go on leave, and I sooooo wish she'd had her baby a year later!

Also, it's weird, but in my dysfunctional school, we always criticized how being a sub actually worked against you, not for you! My ridiculous principal would nitpick every sub, and they neeeeever got a job if they applied for one. He'd take the unknown, inexperienced candidate over a human with any flaws, even if they were overall a good teacher. We had this one dude who was GREAT with the boys who acted out (which obviously is a great skill), and actually wanted to coach multiple sports. He was here almost every day, and everybody liked him. He was promised an interview for a job, and didn't even get the interview! He said he would sub at all other schools, but never this one again. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who was a long term Spanish sub. He hired a girl right out of college who wore jeans to the interview over her, because the bad kids thought she was "mean!" She wasn't mean as much as just direct, because English was her second language, so she didn't really say things in flowery ways. She'd just say, "Johnny, sit down!" instead of, "Johnny, I think you might want to consider going to your seat. Do you remember where it is?"

But I'd definitely like to think it's different in a school that's not totally dysfunctional. My principal was obsessed with nitpicking and writing people off, so he can't be typical. 

Also, for a funny note...he implemented an illegal policy that said we had to call him the night before to get permission to take a sick day. He said this was because we had by far the most absences of any school in the district, annnnd had difficulty finding subs! Well no duh!!! You make working conditions so unbearable that people don't want to come (and they get sick), and run off all the subs! So yeahhhh. That's why you have this problem, dumbass! 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2019 at 11:38 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

So after 29 years, I finally got to see New Kids on the Block.  It was definitely worth the wait.  They are touring with Debbie Gibson and I got to hear her sing Lost in Your Eyes with Joey McIntyre.  Swoon.  Joey McIntyre can still get it.   My younger sister went with me and I think she has been spoiled for boy bands.  I hope she enjoys Backstreet Boys next month. 

Just wanted to say that I saw this concert On June 13.  It's my little secret that since NKOTB got back together in 2008, I have been to see them 8 times.  Well, it's not a secret anymore since my family and friends all know about it and I no longer care if they tease me or not - if I want to watch five 50-something men with ripped abs sing with their shirts off, well........;)

They put on a great show and never disappoint!

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Just wanted to say that I saw this concert On June 13.  It's my little secret that since NKOTB got back together in 2008, I have been to see them 8 times.  Well, it's not a secret anymore since my family and friends all know about it and I no longer care if they tease me or not - if I want to watch five 50-something men with ripped abs sing with their shirts off, well........;)

They put on a great show and never disappoint!

The show was perfect.  It was New Kids greatest hits along with the right amount of the guest stars, and it ended at a reasonable hour.  Because we are all adults with adult responsibilities and can't be staying out all night.  I also have to say that my 31 year old sister was enjoying Donny--dude is ripped for a man of his age.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

@Christina87, I don't know you, so I hope I'm not suggesting something to which you would be opposed, but would you consider a private, Christian school?  They are often looking for teachers.  The pay would not measure up to public schools, but you would gain great experience.  My experience is mostly with Lutheran schools (I'm not a teacher, but my kids and grandkids attended), where I know music teachers are greatly appreciated.   

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@Christina87, I don't know you, so I hope I'm not suggesting something to which you would be opposed, but would you consider a private, Christian school?  They are often looking for teachers.  The pay would not measure up to public schools, but you would gain great experience.  My experience is mostly with Lutheran schools (I'm not a teacher, but my kids and grandkids attended), where I know music teachers are greatly appreciated.   

Oh yes!!! I would love to teach at a private school, Christian or secular! We do have a few in the area, and I check the listings regularly. Now that I have a roommate, I can definitely take the pay cut, because I don't have as many bills! That's a wonderful idea!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just got results from pathology - - all results good! No sign of any residual or metastatic carcinoma in any of the tissue or lymph nodes removed. Wooohoooo!!! *big sigh of relief*.

PARTY!!!!!

ps...thanks so much to everyone for all the support!!

Very glad to hear that! 🙂

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just got results from pathology - - all results good! No sign of any residual or metastatic carcinoma in any of the tissue or lymph nodes removed. Wooohoooo!!! *big sigh of relief*.

PARTY!!!!!

Wooo hoooooo! Great news!

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

PARTY!!!!!

I am SOOOOO happy for you and your family!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

PARTY!!!!!

Wonderful news!  I'm so happy for you!

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Congratulations! I’m coming over with cake and Jesus juice!

Haha! Sounds good as long as I can fit it in with the low-fiber/low residue diet I have to follow for the next couple of weeks (which is, by the way almost totally incompatible with the diabetic diet I am supposed to be on at the same time...)

• Love 9

What wonderful news, Jynnan!!!!!!

Let's see, what can I make to bring to the celebration.....

How about some lightly sauteed chicken with my homemade Irish whiskey bbq sauce?

We can laugh and give thanks for this news!

• Love 6

I said over in the Vuolos topic that I'd post this over here. It's about the wonderful (actually not so wonderful) world of social media "influencers." 

The story is here if you want the deets. It happened in the UK recently.

Short version: A couple who are professional wedding photographers, their company is called Betrothed & Co, recently got an email from someone claiming to "represent" an unnamed social media "influencer" who plans to get married in April 2021.

The "influencer" offered them this (not) great deal: the photogs would do two years' worth of FREE services in re the wedding (1,000 photos and two videos). BTW, that's about £2,000 to £2,500 (US$2,500 - $3,000) worth of services! In return? The "influencer" would "promote" the photogs' services to her followers, which was claimed to be a "combined" 50,000 on FB and IG. Oh, and that "promotion" would include the photogs giving a 20% discount to all the influencer's followers who used their services.

I followed the link in the story and read the exchange of emails between the "influencer's" "representative" and the photographers. Needless to say, the photogs didn't bite, and pointed out in detail why. The "influencer's" "rep" got snippy. It's hilarious. 

Just for comparison? Jinger Vuolo has 1.1 million Instagram followers; Jeremy has 603,000. Jill Duggar Dillard has 1.6 million, and Derick has 750,000. Jana, who's new to IG, has just north of half a million followers already. Anna has 864,000. Jessa has 2.1 million, Ben has 826,000. The joint Joy & Austin account has 860,000. The Si-and-Lauren show has 660,000. And who in hell has even really *heard* of Si and Lauren? 

We've discussed social media marketing, followers, etc., in some of the topics around here including the Vuolos. Knowing that the Duggar kidults have 6 to 7 figure follower numbers, I was lol'ing at the self-important "influencer" with her claimed 50K "combined" followers, trying to work that photography deal. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

PARTY!!!!!

Such great news, @Jynnan tonnix. Heal quickly and well!

• Love 4
On 7/11/2019 at 12:57 AM, galaxychaser said:

When I chopped off all my hair . The hair dresser held up the mirror so I can see the back. Yikes I’m missing hair, receding 

when I had long hair I didn’t notice anything 

now no way to hide it unless I wear a hat 24/7. 

I take biotin and a multi vitamin for months to begin with. I guess it’s not helping 

I’m so sorry. Chunks of my hair fell out a few years ago and while I did have long hair to comb over the patches, I was forever wearing hats and worried about losing more. You have a stranger’s sympathy for the suckiness of the situation. 

I was lucky, though. It turned out to be a random allergic reaction to a non-active ingredient in a birth control pill; I’d just been switched onto a generic and when I stopped taking it the hair grew back. The dermatologist (male) insisted that it was a coincidence. The intern he was training (female) whispered to me behind his back that she was sure I was right and I should get my gyn to write a no-generics prescription. Which I did. 

• Love 8