Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Hi, My name is Lillybee which is pretty much the same name I used on Twop and I am a Duggar addict.

The main reason I watch is that I am waiting to see if Poor Jordyn will ever get some decent attention for either her parents or her assigned buddy, Jessa. I really wish that someone would brush that poor child's hair daily.

Hello everyone, I'm floridamom. I have been reading y'all on the other site and I have enjoyed your commentary very much. I'm not

very computer savvy, so I couldn't log into it. I finally have done it! I'm looking forward to some great observations from you guys.

So glad to join you folks... first time for me!

Howdy! I went by many names over at TwoP but we're beginning again.

If we're having a housewarming, then I'm bringing that ice cream sandwich cake.

I'd also like to say: I live in MD and saw Joshie on the metro once. I will have you know I stared at him the whole time. (Over a book, of course. Didn't want to be too creepy.)

• Love 2

Hi all - I am a long time lurker from TWoP - got. Reprimand once and stopped posting. But have been lurking for years. Will look forward to being here.

Obliviously you weren't blanket trained properly! I got slapped back on the blanket once & quit posting for a week. I had resolved to quit in protest but I'm weak &  gave in to the temptation of the dirty talk about the television box. 

• Love 1

Suz at Large also checking in. Waving to the names I recognize, including auntie thesis and Atheosaurus. Settling in and looking forward to the snark.

NJRach, I'm with you on hating JB, Mullett and Smuggar. I just feel sorry for the kids. All of them.

waves back

Hi I to lurked on TWoP, but have finally got round to creating an account on this one. Admittedly this and TWoP is what I use most to find out info as I live in the UK and so never end up watching episodes till months later. If anyone knows a good site to watch them, would you be able to post a link? Thanks!

I am also a Brit. I use YouTube but I'm thinking about using U Torrent. Edited by Atheosaurus

*Nervously rings doorbell holding a warm pan of tater tot casserole to share* Hi, everyone! I was a committed lurker at TWOP but bit the bullet when migrating here and created an actual account. Glad to find a new home!

• Love 3

I did the same. I've been reading the 19K thread over there for a few weeks, since I learned about the Bill Gothard scandals. Before that I had no idea how dysfunctional that group is, and didn't know the Duggars were involved. I haven't even seen the show at this point, but am interested in the whole movement now. Especially since we're homeschoolers ourselves and know people who greatly admire the Duggars. Ugh.

Hi everyone - I was a longtime lurker on TWOP and I'm hoping to use this opportunity to come out of the shadows and post more often.  I don't even watch the show anymore, I just come for the snark!

I've just noticed we now have 3 threads to play with!

And you can start more :) do what makes sense for you all, character threads, episode threads etc. Have fun!

• Love 1

I did the same. I've been reading the 19K thread over there for a few weeks, since I learned about the Bill Gothard scandals. Before that I had no idea how dysfunctional that group is, and didn't know the Duggars were involved. I haven't even seen the show at this point, but am interested in the whole movement now. Especially since we're homeschoolers ourselves and know people who greatly admire the Duggars. Ugh.

See, people look at the Duggars and think that everyone that homeschools their children are just pushing some whackaloon agenda. There is so many good materials out there to assist homeschooling parents that are based in things such as facts and knowledge (which, being a poster here, I'm sure you're aware of).

that said, If nothing else, I respect the Duggars for being entirely debt free, which I imagine can't be easy with 18 kids living at home (soon to be 17?).

Hi All - long time lurker over at TWoP, and have read the thread "religiously", hahaha.  Glad to see you all here and looking forward to the future.

Oh dear, this is the second post I put introducing myself!  I must need more training of some kind!! No more of these I promise!!

• Love 1

Hi all, I also was a long time lurker over at TWoP. I just enjoyed reading everyone's posts so much. I hope we can get this thing started here, too. I will bring the can of green beans for Jim Boob to eat so he looks like he is sticking to his diet---(laughs up-roariously!)

Hi everyone- longtime lurker and sometime poster over at TWOP. I actually can't stomach watching the show but I do keep up on the news because their whole belief system drives me nuts. I really want to see all the kids in these Gothardite families break free. Looking forward to our future conversations.

A couple thoughts.

First, what's up with Netflix? The order of episodes is totally whack.

Secondly, I just watched the Jubillee episode for the first time. (Couldn't do it before because it's too close to home.) I think the episode was full of mood whiplash. One second, J'Chelle was crying, next thing she was smiling. Bad editing? I don't know.

I've also come over from TWOP, with the same screen name. Funny thing, when the Duggar specials first came on the air, even though I thought they were overly religious and strict with their beliefs and their kids, I didn't mind the show at all. I even found it entertaining at times. Over the years though, I became more aware of the parents and how they raised their family and didn't like it at all...and got to the point where I could no longer even tolerate the fv show. I just went to TWOP for updates and recaps. I did see the specials when they were in Israel and England (more to see the countries than the Duggars), and probably the last episode I saw that really bothered me enough to stop watching was when Jason fell off the stage.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 7

I'm lanorigb-long time lurker on TWOP. I rarely posted due to being put in time out and getting frustrated. Thanks for inviting me to the welcoming party-I'll bring the sweet tea-sure to disrupt any potential dental procedures!

• Love 1

Hi all! I am a longtime lurker fromTWoP and am so happy about this forum. I recognize many of the posters from there. Thank you for all of your great snark. I will try to get up the courage to post but you all are a tough act to follow!

Hi, I kind of thought this get-together thread would be the "fellowship" one, lol. I'm another TWoP refugee and very critical of the Duggars as well as fundie-ism in general. I didn't post over there very often but mostly lurked, for 2 reasons. One, the one thread is thousands of miles long, making it too overwhelmingly difficult to find what I'm looking for or catch up, so I'm looking forward to this new format with one thread per episode, and also because I found the tone to often times get pretty argumentative, and I feel that even if you don't start a response with "um," that "um" might as well still be in there because the entire tone of the post can still come off as hostile and condescending instead of respectful disagreement.

Aaaaanyway, it's so great that so many have reappeared over here. The Duggars are playing the script as how "we're all moving on, getting on with our lives," but let's face it, there are so many indentured servants still living at home that this dog and pony show could keep going for years, so I'm glad we've found a good place to continue the weekly fellowship and prayer circle where we can dissect and criticise to our evil hearts' content!

• Love 3

I come with a big bowl of BBQ tuna! Long time lurker at TWOP - first time poster. :)

You beat me to it; was going to say I'd swing by Aldi's to grab the makings for BBQ tuna and some turkey bacon for the house party. And some goose eggs to scramble and ingredients to make detergent for the party favors.