Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Thank you all for being here. I'm over-posting today, but I suppose it takes, what it takes, to get through the day. A pleasant enough day. I read a mystery novel, talked on the phone to a good friend, watched the activity out front of the building through the windows. And, I had the NFL draft on TV in the afternoon, watching some of it then going back to my book. I wanted to see what our local team did, and its final pick was almost the next to last one. 

It was the first time I'd ever really watched the NFL draft. This year was of course different because everybody was at home. We got to see the head coach and general manager of each team on camera, each in their own home, with their kids and sometimes their dogs. The Commissioner of the league was in his man cave/basement too. It was kind of cool. ETA: the commissioner said that during the two days of the draft they raised $100 million for COVID-19 relief. I know they were heavily promoting that cause for donations. 

So, there I was, about to switch the channel after the last pick - with a cute bit about "Mister Irrelevant" aka the final draft pick that preceded it. When they said, and now Leslie Odom Jr. He sang "You'll Never Walk Alone." And, peeps, for the first time since this damn pandemic hit, I cried. Now, several hours later, I've looked to see if I can find a video of that, but haven't seen it online (so far). I did find this version, and yes, I'm crying again. Sometimes, I think, crying is the sanest thing in the circumstances. I'm okay. Once in a book by a guy who'd gotten sober in AA and gave a lot of talks, was his description of tears that come when your emotions have been stopped up like some kind of airlock in a carburetor, and the airlock is broken up. It's like that.

Be well, online friends.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 23
On 4/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, Jeeves said:

I love the Miss Read books! I actually collected all of them in hard copies years ago. I had to ruthlessly downsize and donated them, but since then I've acquired most of them as ebooks. With judicious following of Kindle book prices on Amazon, I've done it without breaking the bank. I still re-read some of them now and then. 

My recreational/comfort reading includes crime fiction - not the gory or horror stuff. I'm re-reading some "soft boiled" Brit police procedurals from the late 60's by Elizabeth Lemarchand. That's after I read nonfiction books about the 1918 worldwide Flu pandemic. My old brain needed a break after those. 

Take a look at “nursery crimes” by Jasper Fforde. Light hearted mystery with a dose of comedy

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think my neighborhood has officially gone quarantine crazy. We have a Google group where neighbors can post news, questions, recommendations, etc. This morning when I checked it the top post was titled "Art Mural Vandalized " and had a bunch of posts. I live in a neighborhood where a lot of people have statues, fountains, art installations, and other various art related things in their yards, so I immediately thought one of those things had been destroyed. Nope. Someone's chalk mural on the sidewalk had been partially rubbed out sometime overnight. 🙄 Chalk. On a sidewalk where we have constant runners, walkers, strollers, and dogs. The whole neighborhood is worked up over a damn chalk art project getting messed up. I'm done.

• LOL 21
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Thank you all for being here. I'm over-posting today, but I suppose it takes, what it takes, to get through the day. A pleasant enough day. I read a mystery novel, talked on the phone to a good friend, watched the activity out front of the building through the windows. And, I had the NFL draft on TV in the afternoon, watching some of it then going back to my book. I wanted to see what our local team did, and its final pick was almost the next to last one. 

It was the first time I'd ever really watched the NFL draft. This year was of course different because everybody was at home. We got to see the head coach and general manager of each team on camera, each in their own home, with their kids and sometimes their dogs. The Commissioner of the league was in his man cave/basement too. It was kind of cool. ETA: the commissioner said that during the two days of the draft they raised $100 million for COVID-19 relief. I know they were heavily promoting that cause for donations. 

So, there I was, about to switch the channel after the last pick - with a cute bit about "Mister Irrelevant" aka the final draft pick that preceded it. When they said, and now Leslie Odom Jr. He sang "You'll Never Walk Alone." And, peeps, for the first time since this damn pandemic hit, I cried. Now, several hours later, I've looked to see if I can find a video of that, but haven't seen it online (so far). I did find this version, and yes, I'm crying again. Sometimes, I think, crying is the sanest thing in the circumstances. I'm okay. Once in a book by a guy who'd gotten sober in AA and gave a lot of talks, was his description of tears that come when your emotions have been stopped up like some kind of airlock in a carburetor, and the airlock is broken up. It's like that.

Be well, online friends.

I found the Leslie Odom version; it was probably uploaded later. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11979033/hamilton-star-sings-ynwa-in-nfl-draft

• Love 6

So I made up a new word.

Quarantask:  A chore you've been putting off forever due to lack of time, but can finally do now because you have nothing but time.  My Quarantask has been unpacking my scare room --no that's not a typo--it couldn't be a spare room because it was full to overflowing with all the stuff I brought here when I moved but never unpacked!  Anyway, I've been digging out a box or bag at a time, and putting things away, throwing them out, or putting them in a box for Goodwill when this is all over.  I've also been transferring the books from my reading list (which goes back to 2004!) to my shelf at goodreads.  I still can't seem to settle into a book, but maybe that will come eventually.

I'm so sorry for the struggles everyone is going through.  I have to keep reminding myself that I'm pretty lucky because I don't know anyone personally affected by COVID-19.  I live by myself with my two cats, but my aunt lives downstairs so we hang out when we feel like it, cook for each other once in a while, and keep to ourselves most of the time.  I have to go for blood tests this week because my diabetes had gotten out of control, but my numbers are looking pretty good on my glucometer, so I'm optimistic about my A1C.  I just need to stop feeling sorry for myself.  

I only read the threads about Jinger, Jessa, Jill, J&M, Joy, and Anna, as well as this one, but I check often for new content.  I'm actually thinking about reading the episode threads even though Ive only ever watched one episode of the show (the game show one).   Too much time on my hands.

Thanks for the Earlene Fowler quote--I shared it on my facebook.

• Love 15
22 hours ago, Nysha said:

Scarlett45, I'm so sorry about your aunt. It's so hard to watch loved ones slowly drift away due to Alzheimer's and dementia.

@PikaScrewChu, I don't think this is going to be over in one wave. I just heard that the WHO is saying there is no evidence that having antibodies is going to keep anyone from getting it again. Plus, with states opening up and people cheating on social distancing, it's going to be hard just to keep the people who haven't had it from getting it. 

I know you probably know this but the way it should be phrased is "We do not know yet if there is immunity, we have no evidence at this time. There may or may not be immunity. We need to conduct more studies to make a definitive statement on this."

...doesn't sound as good of a headline.

I know we live in the Twitter generation of 140 characters or less and 24/7 news cycle and I think a lot of people forget this. Proper studies take time. Proper clinical trials take time.

I'm just glad I'm not the one in charge of policy decisions. This feels like an impossible balance to strike with placating the population but keeping them healthy. I was reading case studies of patients in their 30s and 40s who tested positive having massive strokes. It is (so far) rare but the neurological damage is pretty massive for reasons they don't quite know yet. These are people that are supposed to go back and contribute to the economy. What happens to them?

The one thing I hope people come away with this is not that "the government overreacted and took away my right to unlimited ice tea refills!!!" but that our society was woefully unprepared to handle even a minor crisis and we need to think about more safety nets for if/when this happens again. 

Eh. I guess I'm too hopeful and people will be like EFF YEAH! UNLIMITED ICE TEA!!! And learn nothing else from this experience.

• Love 13

Thanks so much to everyone who prayed for my friend! It’s been a tough week, and I’m glad she was able to have a visitation for her dad on Friday. It was so nice to see her in person! Her emotional state is definitely improving, so I appreciate anyone who sent good vibes her way. 

• Love 15
9 hours ago, DCCFan123 said:

Take a look at “nursery crimes” by Jasper Fforde. Light hearted mystery with a dose of comedy

Those are fun, as is his Thursday Next series!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If you want to laugh, it is better to listen to than read, but either is good - Jill Connor Browne - the Sweet Potato Queen.  She has written several hilarious books.  Mr. lookeyloo was a doubter but on a road trip i had one on and even he thought it was great.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

For fun reading:  The Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.  Best read in order.  They are just delightful.

Also, if you have ever been in a church choir--or even if you haven't--the funniest series I have ever read is the Liturgical Mysteries by Mark Schweizer.  The first one is "The Alto Wore Tweed".  These are laugh-out-loud books that are a fun read.  The lead character is a church organist/choir director and the chief of police.  He keeps a gun in the organ bench "to keep the tenors in line".  Must be read in order to follow the arc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 4/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, realityfan26 said:

I found the Leslie Odom version; it was probably uploaded later. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11979033/hamilton-star-sings-ynwa-in-nfl-draft

Thanks. I might have confessed this here before, but I am a huge Lin-Manuel fan (and that includes anything and anyone who has been in one of his productions..I fell hard.) 😁

Leslie looks so different with hair!

On 4/26/2020 at 12:13 PM, magpye29 said:

So I made up a new word.

Quarantask:  A chore you've been putting off forever due to lack of time, but can finally do now because you have nothing but time.

My Quarantask has been unpacking my scare room --no that's not a typo--it couldn't be a spare room because it was full to overflowing with all the stuff I brought here when I moved but never unpacked! 

Love the quarantask! I'll have to share that with with my daughters. One just got her husband to finally mud(?) and paint a drywall panel fix he originally started in their house...5 years ago 😱 (he works art Home Depot and does handyman jobs on the side..but you know..the shoemaker's children have no shoes) 😂

Another one finally got her husband to fix their electric fireplace starter..just in time for summer.

And now I realize I also have a scare room and not a spare room. Heh.

22 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm  just glad I'm not the one in charge of policy decisions. This feels like an impossible balance to strike with placating the population but keeping them healthy. 

Amen to this. I can't imagine the stress of having to make decisions in the best of times, much less now.  

And I wanted to share this

^^ have no idea how to get rid of that dead link..they had tech issues last night^^

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7

Okay, if we can stand another link - the NFL has now posted a video of the complete Leslie Odom Jr. song, on its FB feed. The SkyNews video was just the last part of it. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/NFL/videos/801354037056059/

ETA: I love "quarantask!" Thanks for that. 

And I agree, the next steps for policymakers aren't easy or clear, and I'm glad I don't personally bear those burdens. We can't hunker down at home forever. There's no risk-free way to live - not that there ever has been anyway. What's reasonable? What's do-able? What's not reckless? I think it's being figured out as we go. Who said, life is understood looking backwards, but has to be lived going forward? 

They were on to something with that.

Edited by Jeeves
more alleged thoughts
  • Love 8
On 4/25/2020 at 5:57 PM, wilsie said:

When you have a child who is going through what your dear son is going through it's anything but minor.  Cancer at anytime is a real struggle when you love someone with it.  When it's your child it can up the worry.  You know and are grateful for what you have but miss the loved ones you can't be with right now.  I think you're an amazing and loving mom.  There will always be someone who has was seems to be a more difficult life.  It doesn't lessen what you are going through.  With St. Jude, I grew up Catholic and St. Jude is a great comfort to be able to pray to.  I also pray to Mary.  She a mom.  When I have struggles with my children Mary is my go to.  I hope you find comfort in knowing what a loving gift you are to your family.  

Mary is not just a mom; she's a mom who knows what it's like to lose a child... St Jude is a good 'go to guy' for troubles as is St Anthony.  The idea behind praying to saints is that, just as we ask our friends here on earth to pray for us in times of trouble, we've got friends in heaven who will do the same for us.  You gotta figure, if anyone can get God's attention, it has to be his mother.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I know you probably know this but the way it should be phrased is "We do not know yet if there is immunity, we have no evidence at this time. There may or may not be immunity. We need to conduct more studies to make a definitive statement on this."

...doesn't sound as good of a headline.

I know we live in the Twitter generation of 140 characters or less and 24/7 news cycle and I think a lot of people forget this. Proper studies take time. Proper clinical trials take time.

I'm just glad I'm not the one in charge of policy decisions. This feels like an impossible balance to strike with placating the population but keeping them healthy. I was reading case studies of patients in their 30s and 40s who tested positive having massive strokes. It is (so far) rare but the neurological damage is pretty massive for reasons they don't quite know yet. These are people that are supposed to go back and contribute to the economy. What happens to them?

The one thing I hope people come away with this is not that "the government overreacted and took away my right to unlimited ice tea refills!!!" but that our society was woefully unprepared to handle even a minor crisis and we need to think about more safety nets for if/when this happens again. 

Eh. I guess I'm too hopeful and people will be like EFF YEAH! UNLIMITED ICE TEA!!! And learn nothing else from this experience.

I read in an online medical journal of a neurosurgeon removing a large blood clot from a Covid-19 positive 39 yr old.  The patient was previously healthy with no underlying health concerns.  The surgeon reported that after he removed the clot in the patient's brain, new clots were forming right before his eyes.  He had never seen that before.  Evidently Covid-19 can cause some people to clot excessively. So they are seeing massive strokes, not only horrific lung disease.

• Useful 1
16 minutes ago, louannems said:

I read in an online medical journal of a neurosurgeon removing a large blood clot from a Covid-19 positive 39 yr old.  The patient was previously healthy with no underlying health concerns.  The surgeon reported that after he removed the clot in the patient's brain, new clots were forming right before his eyes.  He had never seen that before.  Evidently Covid-19 can cause some people to clot excessively. So they are seeing massive strokes, not only horrific lung disease.

I read about that a couple days ago and it terrified me.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, magpye29 said:

So I made up a new word.

Quarantask:  A chore you've been putting off forever due to lack of time, but can finally do now because you have nothing but time.  My Quarantask has been unpacking my scare room --no that's not a typo--it couldn't be a spare room because it was full to overflowing with all the stuff I brought here when I moved but never unpacked!  Anyway, I've been digging out a box or bag at a time, and putting things away, throwing them out, or putting them in a box for Goodwill when this is all over.  I've also been transferring the books from my reading list (which goes back to 2004!) to my shelf at goodreads.  I still can't seem to settle into a book, but maybe that will come eventually.

I'm so sorry for the struggles everyone is going through.  I have to keep reminding myself that I'm pretty lucky because I don't know anyone personally affected by COVID-19.  I live by myself with my two cats, but my aunt lives downstairs so we hang out when we feel like it, cook for each other once in a while, and keep to ourselves most of the time.  I have to go for blood tests this week because my diabetes had gotten out of control, but my numbers are looking pretty good on my glucometer, so I'm optimistic about my A1C.  I just need to stop feeling sorry for myself.  

I only read the threads about Jinger, Jessa, Jill, J&M, Joy, and Anna, as well as this one, but I check often for new content.  I'm actually thinking about reading the episode threads even though Ive only ever watched one episode of the show (the game show one).   Too much time on my hands.

Thanks for the Earlene Fowler quote--I shared it on my facebook.

I've wondered how long it took kids to realize that downside to being stuck at home with your parents for months on end. Parents realizing its the perfect time for cleaning or any tasks that would take a weekend or longer to do around the house and you always pray they forget about when the weekend come around so you can do what you want instead cleaning out a garage or organizing a room. But now your quarantined at home for weeks, maybe even months on and no way to get out of it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Yes that was one of the case studies I read and if we are seeing massive strokes in addition to respiratory failure, that's another layer of burden on the health care system. Plus that 39 year old hadn't regained speech by the time of publication. How are we supposed to conduct post-stroke rehab to the fullest while physical distancing? 

Time just had an excellent article about Hokkaido and how the government regrets the decision to lift measures too early. https://time.com/5826918/hokkaido-coronavirus-lockdown/

In an ideal world we could manage this without a full on lockdown. But gah, we are so far from that world that it is terrifying.

There's going to be a lot of backlash regardless of what happens. No one is going to win. 

There is one thing I am certain of. Cockroaches may survive anything but humanity has been through some pretty tough times through history. They come pretty close. I know it's not any consolation to people who have lost loved ones to this disease. We will make it through somehow. And we will all have to rely on each other on the other side, regardless of what happened during this time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The state of our lives now is really, hurry up and wait. I think most everyone wants to fast forward to the time when things will be known and managed. I know I would like to get there sooner rather than later.

But we keep moving forward. It's hard to believe that 6 weeks ago most of us were told to hunker down for two weeks.

It would be nice, though very ambitious, if we could enter 2021 with most of this behind us.

In the meantime I think I'll make my own quarantask list. No pressure on myself, but a way to fill my time and get some things done. Accomplishing something always feels good.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 14
13 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Another family like the Duggar’s. 10 kids with C names. $1200 for food for family of 12 is too low. What are they eating?

https://www.comicsands.com/mom-10-kids-date-night-2645746118.html?fbclid=IwAR2OYXJ__ay5BLDIGtMF7-dMbsYDSeUTwFR4ielS8ueLg6vdIxB-VP8zp2o

The article says they have some acreage and raise sheep and chickens.  They could easily grow a lot of their vegetables, get fresh eggs from the chickens and even use the sheep and chickens for food.  If they are really good at growing their own and buying in bulk, they could make it on $1200 a month, especially since all of their kids are under age 10 and probably don't eat a lot.

They also claim their kids don't mind wearing hand-me-down clothes and shoes.  Of course, they don't, they're little kids and they're home schooled, they don't know any different.

I expect the food bill is going to explode while the kids will be less satisfied with other kids' castoffs once the teen years arrive.  Of course, by then, the kids will be well-indoctrinated and will know better than to complain or disagree.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Had the worst nightmare of my life. Wide awake and a horrible headache. Yay me. 3 am. 

Sorry, sweetie. I am all too familiar with 3:15 a.m. It’s when the demons come circling around.

Big virtual hug...

• Love 7
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Another family like the Duggar’s. 10 kids with C names. $1200 for food for family of 12 is too low. What are they eating?

https://www.comicsands.com/mom-10-kids-date-night-2645746118.html?fbclid=IwAR2OYXJ__ay5BLDIGtMF7-dMbsYDSeUTwFR4ielS8ueLg6vdIxB-VP8zp2o

I think you could make do with $1200 per month for a family of 12, (Just food) if you were buying in bulk and cooking from scratch a lot. The more people in your family the cheaper it is per person to eat, and like @doodlebug said- 10kids who are prepubescent is far different than 10 kids, half being teens, who eat more than adults. Now their costs for household goods & toiletries- like toilet paper, soap, laundry detergent etc is going to go up with a family that large, everyone has to bathe and brush their teeth. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Had the worst nightmare of my life. Wide awake and a horrible headache. Yay me. 3 am. 

I've been having some really weird colorful dreams since this started, and I don't usually dream much anymore.

Last night I had my first covid-fear dream. My husband and I were in a movie theater, and some guy kept coming and sitting in the seat next to us even though the rest of the theater was empty, no matter how many times we moved!

And I specifically remember saying to my husband (in the dream) "he's going to get us sick!" And then being very frustrated that my husband didn't want to move away from the guy. I woke up with my heart pounding.🙄

15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It would be nice, though very ambitious, if we could enter 2021 with most of this behind us.

I sure hope so..and then our  governor puts this out there:😕

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/prtizker-illinois-students-and-teachers-should-prepare-for-elearning-use-in-the-fall/2262144/

PS right now I'm on the phone with someone in another country about an insurance problem...I've been on hold SO LONG, and I'm so irritated..but I've been on hold for so long that now I don't want to give up...

oh wait..duh..it's Monday..why did I call on a MONDAY?! I'm going to hang up....aaaahhhh...should have done that two hours ago!!!! 😂

:::::old lady rant ahead ::::

don't we have people in THIS country who can answer phones who need jobs?!

I'm married to  someone with a thick  accent...that's not my objection. It's having the phone quality  sound like it's being made by two tin cans connected by string run beneath the ocean that frosts my cookies. And the stilted British English, tbh.

now get off my lawn😜

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Free Jinger already follows this woman. She has atleast one set of twins and a couple sets of "irish twins", kids born less than 12 months apart. Of course she is pregnant with #11. 

• Love 1

I'm all for using one letter for all your kids, but there is no excuse to have a Callie and a Calena or a Cade and a Caydie. There are a ton of 'C' names for goodness sake. 

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I'm all for using one letter for all your kids, but there is no excuse to have a Callie and a Calena or a Cade and a Caydie. There are a ton of 'C' names for goodness sake. 

I think she's specifically said that she uses one-syllable, western themed names for the boys, which is slightly more limiting. No reason why she can't have more variety with the girls, though, especially considering she's had fewer of them so far. But then, just look at the Duggars, having a Joseph and a Josiah back-to-back, not to mention all their other similar names...

Meanwhile, the Radfords (the British family with 22 kids), have to end all their girls' names with "e" and an "ee" sound. They have both a Tillie and a Millie, and their latest baby is Heidie (which just looks wrong... a Radford snark board keeps calling her Hair-dye...). Not sure why they couldn't have spelled it Heidee (most of their girls have "-ie" names, but there are a few without like Amee and Phoebe, so they could have done it and still stuck with their theme...).

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 4

We're expecting a granddaughter in early July. I had made a counted cross stitch blanket for her brother and wanted to do the same for her. When I started the project, I was concerned I wouldn't get it done before her birth. Then came Covid-19. I finished it yesterday with 10 weeks to spare.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
38 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think she's specifically said that she uses one-syllable, western themed names for the boys, which is slightly more limiting. No reason why she can't have more variety with the girls, though, especially considering she's had fewer of them so far. But then, just look at the Duggars, having a Joseph and a Josiah back-to-back, not to mention all their other similar names...

Meanwhile, the Radfords (the British family with 22 kids), have to end all their girls' names with "e" and an "ee" sound. They have both a Tillie and a Millie, and their latest baby is Heidie (which just looks wrong... a Radford snark board keeps calling her Hair-dye...). Not sure why they couldn't have spelled it Heidee (most of their girls have "-ie" names, but there are a few without like Amee and Phoebe, so they could have done it and still stuck with their theme...).

There's a snark board for them? Do you know where? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

There's a snark board for them? Do you know where? 

On Free Jinger. I think it's under her blog Sweet Tea and Buttermilk. Or something similar. I don't follow it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Turquoise said:

We're expecting a granddaughter in early July. I had made a counted cross stitch blanket for her brother and wanted to do the same for her. When I started the project, I was concerned I wouldn't get it done before her birth. Then came Covid-19. I finished it yesterday with 10 weeks to spare.

Wow, that's great. And you'll have such a story to go with that blanket! 🙂

Looking on the bright side of this whole thing, I was just sitting in my back yard and thought how nice it was not to have an airplane going over my backyard every 9 minutes (and they're so low you have to pause talking until they go by.)

I mean, we got this house cheap because it's right near O'Hare and under a flight path, so I know it won't stay like this...so I'm just going to enjoy it while I can. 

Btw, 2 weeks ago my gate-agent daughter told us this:

'I have some good news. Today my job announced they are doing a “Platoon” schedule. There will be 2 groups (named after airplanes), 787 and 777. What it is that we are going to work 2 weeks and be off 2 weeks (with pay but on call). They are trying to lesson the amount of workers that are there all at the same time. It starts this Sun and I got assigned the 777 group which is the 1st group so I am off for the next two weeks (I only had to work Mon, Tues, Wed this week).'

The reason I'm posting that is to say that she went back to work (after the last two weeks off) today, and just sent us this picture, with this description:

"I met two planes all day and now this is what I’m doing at work. I am so bored."

She said she misses "shooting the sh-t with the other employees on breaks, and that it's way too lonely now.

She says she even misses the "irates" (crabby customers) at this point. 😂

rps20200427_160545.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Yup, especially since they also have a Chloe and a Phoebe, obviously the spelling is not a huge deal, and they could have gone with the traditional "Heidi". For what it's worth, though, I'd think that "Heidie" would still look better than the hypothetical "Heidee". Just my opinion, though. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

For what it's worth, though, I'd think that "Heidie" would still look better than the hypothetical "Heidee". Just my opinion, though. 

I think people were mainly objecting to the fact that "die" was in it, and it kind of looks like it should be pronounced Hi-die. Though admittedly "Heidee" would probably frequently be mispronounced as Hee-dee. Either way it's pretty unfortunate. And unlike the Duggar spawn, she'll eventually be going to school with other, more normally named kids... 

• Love 3

One of my kids who is still working has a platoon type schedule as well. The staff all work 30 hours, however it's with the same group for each shift. No mixing and matching, so if one staff were to get sick they would have only potentially exposed their 'platoon'.

I think it would be wise for all businesses to adopt something similar. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

One of my kids who is still working has a platoon type schedule as well. The staff all work 30 hours, however it's with the same group for each shift. No mixing and matching, so if one staff were to get sick they would have only potentially exposed their 'platoon'.

Where my younger SIL works is like that.  He's in charge of a group of lawyers, paralegals and admins.  They go into the office something like 6 hours a day one week a month.  They all work at home the rest of the time.  They may only be in the office four days of the week they're in.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

We're doing something sort of similar at my library. We all have set days we work--other hours done at home on rotating days--and we only see the same batch folks for each shift/day. It's easier to practice social distancing at work that way, too, but I do miss seeing some of my coworkers I don't see anymore. But we still find ways to chat, so it's all good! 🙂 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I know a resident working in a hospital in an area that's been hard hit.  They're doing the same sort of thing with their residents, dividing them into groups who rotate working and are kept together to minimize exposure.  However, being a hospital, a Platoon schedule sounds too nice.  They call it the Armageddon Plan.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8

My oldest daughter is a Girl Scout troop leader. She has a troop of 26 girls, from itty bitty Brownies, up to Senior Girl Scouts that are in high school.

She's been growing this troop for years, and has gotten girls (and their families) involved by word of mouth that have never been in Scouts before. (the girls go to the same magnet school my granddaughter does.)

She got "volunteered" into it when her daughter was a Brownie and that leader broke her leg on an icy sidewalk...but now my daughter wouldn't quit "her girls" for anything.

She was the one that took a lot of them camping for the first time in their lives, first time they rode a horse, made s'mores over a campfire, went hiking...you name it. 🙂

But....she just sent me this:

"Got the terrible news today that all GS camp activities are cancelled through August 14th, so that means we won't be camping in June. I don't know how to even tell the girls."😭😭😭

(and if I was a betting woman, I bet it won't be open the rest of the summer either..imho)

Then she wrote:

"Plus, they worked so hard, and they sold sooo many cookies this year, more than ever, and we can't use the money for any fun events." 

(She then asked me for ideas)

I  just don't know what to suggest for fun things for them to do. I mean...what?

Rent a new movie to watch virtually together? (Maybe different movies for different age groups?) Ugh..that's not much of an idea. I know I can't compare what they can do now to what they could do then..but it's so hard not to.

I went on a lot of those outings as an extra helper, and they had so much fun!

With the cookie sale money, we took the littlest Scouts (& some of the bigger ones) to build-a bear, and the biggest ones to an escape room..things like that. And they all went horse back riding and on architectural boat tour of the Chicago river.

They are already holding virtual troop meetings, but she said it feels stilted and awful...nothing like their lively meetings . Hopefully it'll get better with practice...but about ¼ of the troop doesn't have online access , so they're left out completely.🙁

(sorry..I can't sleep, and I just need to talk)

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post. Please redirect me if there's a better place, but the forum name sent me here.

I'm just so worried about my niece, who's in NYC and immunocompromised.  She's in her 30's, she knows better, but in the last couple of days has started going out again to restaurants and bars.  She's a great (and intelligent) kid, and there's nothing I can do to be involved.  I'm just worried and scared.

Thanks for reading.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

My oldest daughter is a Girl Scout troop leader. She has a troop of 26 girls, from itty bitty Brownies, up to Senior Girl Scouts that are in high school.

She's been growing this troop for years, and has gotten girls (and their families) involved by word of mouth that have never been in Scouts before. (the girls go to the same magnet school my granddaughter does.)

She got "volunteered" into it when her daughter was a Brownie and that leader broke her leg on an icy sidewalk...but now my daughter wouldn't quit "her girls" for anything.

She was the one that took a lot of them camping for the first time in their lives, first time they rode a horse, made s'mores over a campfire, went hiking...you name it. 🙂

But....she just sent me this:

"Got the terrible news today that all GS camp activities are cancelled through August 14th, so that means we won't be camping in June. I don't know how to even tell the girls."😭😭😭

(and if I was a betting woman, I bet it won't be open the rest of the summer either..imho)

Then she wrote:

"Plus, they worked so hard, and they sold sooo many cookies this year, more than ever, and we can't use the money for any fun events." 

(She then asked me for ideas)

I  just don't know what to suggest for fun things for them to do. I mean...what?

Rent a new movie to watch virtually together? (Maybe different movies for different age groups?) Ugh..that's not much of an idea. I know I can't compare what they can do now to what they could do then..but it's so hard not to.

I went on a lot of those outings as an extra helper, and they had so much fun!

With the cookie sale money, we took the littlest Scouts (& some of the bigger ones) to build-a bear, and the biggest ones to an escape room..things like that. And they all went horse back riding and on architectural boat tour of the Chicago river.

They are already holding virtual troop meetings, but she said it feels stilted and awful...nothing like their lively meetings . Hopefully it'll get better with practice...but about ¼ of the troop doesn't have online access , so they're left out completely.🙁

(sorry..I can't sleep, and I just need to talk)

This wouldn't work for the ones without internet, but some of the escape rooms have gone virtual. There is also Outschool which has some interactive fun classes with a live teacher for 7 - 10 years olds that you could do together.

I think a simple virtual campfire would be fun. If their parents and you could all agree on a snack and craft they could all eat the snacks, sing some songs, do an easy craft, end with a story.

If most of your parents have printers, you could create like a 5 page journal starter for each kid with age appropriate prompts exploring our new normal. Like the first page with the date and their names in block letters to color, the second page to list what's different with a place to draw a picture, the third page that asks about feelings, etc. The journal starter and maybe a small gift could be left on the non-internet families door steps and maybe they could call in by phone.

Just some ideas. As long as you daughter and the girls are 'together', I'm sure anything she does will be perfect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post. Please redirect me if there's a better place, but the forum name sent me here.

I'm just so worried about my niece, who's in NYC and immunocompromised.  She's in her 30's, she knows better, but in the last couple of days has started going out again to restaurants and bars.  She's a great (and intelligent) kid, and there's nothing I can do to be involved.  I'm just worried and scared.

Thanks for reading.

Are you sure the information you're receiving is accurate? From what my friends in the city have told me, bars & dine-in restaurants have been closed for weeks.

• Love 13