Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

This year was my youngest sister's turn to entertain again and it was superlative. She told us she finally got organized and did everything she possibly could the day before - and this made a world of difference. No stress on the Big Day. Really, really smart. As long as quality would not be affected, she prepared the item the day before and then we just cranked on the microwave big time yesterday to reheat. I think the only things left to Thursday were making gravy and baking biscuits. Even the turkey was roasted and carved on Wednesday, then gently warmed for dinner yesterday. Delicious - and made for a very long, very enjoyable cocktail hour. We always start with tomato-clam juice, then move on to turkey, my Mother's dressing, my Mother's gravy, mashed potatoes [my middle sister is a past master], sweet potatoes [just baked-no sugar], relish tray [ olives, carrot sticks, radishes, celery sticks, green onions] roasted Brussels sprouts, baby peas, cranberry jelly - and this year there was a new item - cornbread casserole [think corn muffins with chopped sweet peppers and cheddar cheese - quite tasty]. My SIL's apple crisp and coffee come several hours later. Then we play games which is a lot of fun. Even more fun now that all the grandchildren are "of age."  We thought we'd really miss them being little - and we do - but we are pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is for them to be young adults, and funny ones too - as well.

• Love 13

My Thanksgiving started out ok, at 9:00pm my brother suffered what was initially described as a "mild" heart attack, they did a cath on him today, he multiple vessels with 90% blockages, hes going to have surgery either late tonight or tomorrow. He has dementia from previous strokes, and he has about a 1 minute memory due to his strokes.

• Love 5

OMG Brian.  Is this what your sister and BIL want?  Surgery, I mean.  Won't he need blood thinners and all that afterwards, which may interfere with other meds he has?  I wish they could clear the blockages with stents, not surgery.  I wish none of this ever happened, to any of us, ever.  

• Love 3

I found out today that a senior executive where i work has been slandering me left right and center since a very close colleague left two months back who she knew wouldn't put up with it.

I work in a corporate health care environment. Basically a government job. I have an interview next week for a totally different position doing totally dIfferent work reporting up a totally different branch of govt. ( Did you notice my subtle Jill- impression? ) Anywayyyyy...I have come to the conclusion that this issue is political in nature..old grudges..backbiting...mean girl shit. Something else i have realized is I'm too old to put up with this shit at my age and won't. The only times in my entire thirty years of working that i have had issues with anyone, they were both loud and proud Christians in public, and absolutely morally corrupt assholes on the inside.

On the plus side, I have a bag of chips screaming my name and some homemade dip with its hand up trying to get my attention too :)

Ima hit the couch and watch some ID channel tonight and try to not take notes on getting away with homicide.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 16

Take notes.  I watched some homicide in the middle of the night. I hurt all over.  Went for a walk and trip on nothing because I am not, I suppose, lifting my feet enough.  Geeze.  Bitch better not get in my way either.  Like any of us have the  patience for bitches.  Write Meri's catfish and tell her/him what a catch she would be.

• Love 4

Take notes. I watched some homicide in the middle of the night. I hurt all over. Went for a walk and trip on nothing because I am not, I suppose, lifting my feet enough. Geeze. Bitch better not get in my way either. Like any of us have the patience for bitches. Write Meri's catfish and tell her/him what a catch she would be.

I made a joke a couple weeks back when i heard this "lady" fell down the stairs and broke her foot. I said " oh no. .i hope it didn't have anything to do with that Barbie i accidently smashed on every step in my house last weekend."

If i wasn't coming up on fifty one with some bad plantar fasciitis right now, I would key her car at the least , but i doubt I could get away fast enough with my bad hoof in the crocs...hahaha

Thanks Micks you made me laugh :)

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 3

In our 30 years of marriage, we have avoided the family drama of Thanksgiving (or any other holiday for that matter) by never celebrating with anyone but our own little family of three. When our son was four, we began to go away for the long Thanksgiving weekend, usually up to one of the "historic" hotels in NH or the Adirondacks. To escape family we even went as far as taking him to Prague and London for week-long breaks. The last few years we have just done dinner locally at Old Sturbridge Village (think Plimouth Plantation plus 200 years). Quiet, quality family time (and a big-ass pumpkin pie from Costco) is the best I can hope for on any holiday.

Funny, I live near OSV.

Two people were showing me their super new tazers for use on coyotes and criminals.  I'm thinking yeah but I've seen people getting up after getting tazered and they are up pretty fast, so I need a more permanent stopper.  If I can't walk without stumbling on nothing, I can't run fast enough to get far enough away from a pissed off criminal.  

• Love 1

We are in CT two exits down I-84 from the MA border, about 40 minutes from OSV. Been members there since we moved here 23 years ago.

Yes I have alot family in that area off I84. I was actually in CT yesterday for Thanksgiving. Such a small world.

• Love 1

MarysWetbar, yes pepper spray ok.  But there is problem with the wind.  The thing is, you are not going to get help after a pepper spray or taser incident.  If you were almost by your own front door, you'd stand a chance.  Or getting ready to get in your car, or getting someone away from your car, those items are fine  But going for a walk, you know what you need in order to slow them down.  Maybe a bat to the kneecaps.  Or….

• Love 1

Yes I have alot family in that area off I84. I was actually in CT yesterday for Thanksgiving. Such a small world.

While you were here in CT, we were at OSV for the Thanksgiving buffet at the Oliver Wight Tavern. Unfortunately it was one of the worst we have ever had there, surpassing the horrendous brunch there on Easter. Hope your dinner was better.

OMG Brian. Is this what your sister and BIL want? Surgery, I mean. Won't he need blood thinners and all that afterwards, which may interfere with other meds he has? I wish they could clear the blockages with stents, not surgery. I wish none of this ever happened, to any of us, ever.

Unfortunately things won't be simple. I will fill you in the morning.

• Love 1

Brian I'm so sorry to hear about what your family is going through, it's hard enough when these things happen, but even harder around the holidays.

My thanksgiving was good, nothing extraordinary, just watched a marathon of all of the friends thanksgiving episodes... My sister and I had ordered a dinner from fresh market (it's a grocery chain, like whole foods) so we just had to warm everything, it was super easy and very well supervised by the dogs.

I just watched the Adele SNL thanksgiving for what is probably the 20-somethingith time... It just doesn't get old. I remembered there was another holiday related skit a few years ago so I just rewatched that one and I will post a link at the end. When I rewatched it I realized the little girl in it is the same one in the Adele skit. This one is a little more racy if you are offended by that sort of thing this is your warning. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCV_nB7HJk

• Love 2

Brian I'm so sorry to hear about what your family is going through, it's hard enough when these things happen, but even harder around the holidays.

My thanksgiving was good, nothing extraordinary, just watched a marathon of all of the friends thanksgiving episodes... My sister and I had ordered a dinner from fresh market (it's a grocery chain, like whole foods) so we just had to warm everything, it was super easy and very well supervised by the dogs.

I just watched the Adele SNL thanksgiving for what is probably the 20-somethingith time... It just doesn't get old. I remembered there was another holiday related skit a few years ago so I just rewatched that one and I will post a link at the end. When I rewatched it I realized the little girl in it is the same one in the Adele skit. This one is a little more racy if you are offended by that sort of thing this is your warning. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCV_nB7HJk

Thank you so much, the kind words help. Complicating the heart problems is his severe short term memory loss secondary to multiple small strokes, during stress he literally has a one minute memory.

Thank you, LEIGHRODA, you made my day. I had not seen that clip and laughed all the way through it!

Unfortunately things won't be simple. I will fill you in the morning.

BRIAN, I hope things go as well as possible for your brother. Sending hugs and healing thoughts.

• Love 1

BrianJ62, so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope the surgery goes really well.

It has been raining cats and dogs here since yesterday morning, so it was super fun to pull the Christmas tree and outside decorations out of the garage yesterday (my garage doesn't have an inside entrance so I have to go outside). Plus, the Terminix man was here last weekend and something died in the wall between my fireplace and the garage and it STINKS. If it's the mouse that's been scrabbling around in the attic for weeks, it's getting its final revenge. Ugh.

• Love 2

BrianJ62, so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope the surgery goes really well.

It has been raining cats and dogs here since yesterday morning, so it was super fun to pull the Christmas tree and outside decorations out of the garage yesterday (my garage doesn't have an inside entrance so I have to go outside). Plus, the Terminix man was here last weekend and something died in the wall between my fireplace and the garage and it STINKS. If it's the mouse that's been scrabbling around in the attic for weeks, it's getting its final revenge. Ugh.

TY. It's raining almost ice here in Kansas City.

My MIL recorded us doing karaoke last night and is showing it to someone who spend 40 plus years as a vocal coach and sang with Kenny Rogers back in high school. I am so mortified.

My MIL's nose is purple again, but very localized. The doctor drained the lump on it. Sorry if anyone is eating. I think it is getting better. She turned off the overhead lighting so when the neighbors came over for coffee they couldn't see her nose as much. She seriously told me this.

I am sorry to hear about your brother, Brian.

• Love 2

We have dense fog, an air inversion, and it is cold. I thought we had light snow this morning, but I think it was frost and the fog. Boo! Hiss!!! I hope the roads are not bad Monday morning and no fog because I have a doctor appointment and errands to run. I hope the weather in the middle of the country does not cause problems for my husband when he flies home Tuesday.

Ty so much. I think I typed it in wrong, its brother in law.

Nevertheless, I am sorry.

The UCCS police officer killed in the shooting here is known to my son. My son graduated from UCCS and the Officer was well known and respected on campus. When I took my roomie with leukemia to the hospital this am for labs, police were everywhere. The mayor was giving a press conference...bomb dogs were patrolling and well it was a somber scene.

We had a shooting here not too long ago on MY street resulting in four deaths. It too, made the national news. Two sober living house residents and an innocent bicyclist were killed (plus the shooter) in a gunfight. Yes, a gunfight on a Saturday morning. Yikes.... I pass the site every time I go to my daughter's grave.

Always thought this was a laid back town...

• Love 3

Brian, I am so sorry to hear about your brother in law. And if nobody's told you yet today, paramedics rock.

We live just outside of Seattle, which has been icy and cold for the past week. (I know the rest of the country is laughing...) We're also getting freezing fog, which is nothing to scoff at. As a result, I talked my husband into skipping the family Thanksgiving. I did not want to drive two hours one way on slippery roads to spend a couple of hours dealing with the drama queen family members. We also attempted to get the family members to move the dinner up a bit -- they typically eat after 6 PM, and we both had to work on Friday. Their idea of "moving it up" was 4:30, which we're sure turned into 5:30 before the turkey hit the table. In other words, we would have been driving home again in the worst of the weather.

We're making our own turkey in the next couple of days and enjoyed a very quiet and peaceful holiday.

• Love 7

Oh my gosh, Brian, what a disaster!

And Jellybeans, holy cow. Life just will not let you rest. Colorado Springs is beautiful (or it was when I was 13 and saw it last... But I was in the Flintstones car and Dino was pulling us along). I hate when ugly happens in a place that was meant to be beautiful. And you've had so much, much ugly in the last few years. How did your roomie do with T'Giving? How are YOU doing?

I'm having a BABY (grand) any day now. Dilated a little (4) and M.I.S.E.R.A.B.L.E. She's a shorty like me, and when you get to that last month this close to the ground to start with, it is just mind blowing. I told her its small consolation to know the baby is just as miserable as she is... Either way, I'ma be a Giggy 7 times over within the next few days. Woop woop!!!!

Oh, and in case Defrauder checks in, it was WELLFLEET who said to talk about Grandbabies, sorry about the mismatch. My DIL is having severe (tear inducing) pain on her left lower side for the last 4-5 days. I don't recall that from any of mine, so I can't suggest anything. I told her (because I'm all-wise and stuff) that a week from now, she'll have a baby and forget all about that weird side pain... I did NOT, however, mention that a week from now she'll have a whole boatload of other symptoms on her plate. I also mentioned it's too bad we can't group text Michelle sugar and ask her about these mystery side pains. Surely she's been there, done that!!!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 5

Oh my gosh, Brian, what a disaster!

And Jellybeans, holy cow. Life just will not let you rest. Colorado Springs is beautiful (or it was when I was 13 and saw it last... But I was in the Flintstones car and Dino was pulling us along). I hate when ugly happens in a place that was meant to be beautiful. And you've had so much, much ugly in the last few years. How did your roomie do with T'Giving? How are YOU doing?

I'm having a BABY (grand) any day now. Dilated a little (4) and M.I.S.E.R.A.B.L.E. She's a shorty like me, and when you get to that last month this close to the ground to start with, it is just mind blowing. I told her its small consolation to know the baby is just as miserable as she is... Either way, I'ma be a Giggy 7 times over within the next few days. Woop woop!!!!

Oh, and in case Defrauder checks in, it was WELLFLEET who said to talk about Grandbabies, sorry about the mismatch. My DIL is having severe (tear inducing) pain on her left lower side for the last 4-5 days. I don't recall that from any of mine, so I can't suggest anything. I told her (because I'm all-wise and stuff) that a week from now, she'll have a baby and forget all about that weird side pain... I did NOT, however, mention that a week from now she'll have a whole boatload of other symptoms on her plate. I also mentioned it's too bad we can't group text Michelle sugar and ask her about these mystery side pains. Surely she's been there, done that!!!

Hmmm, what did the Doc say about the pain? She could have a UTI or something. Poor thing the last couple of weeks are hard enough.

• Love 2

Reporting in on our thanksgiving dinner which was Friday. We flew from ATL to SEATAC on Alaska airlines which is a very nice way to fly. We had 14 people yesterday. Two turkeys and many sides and desserts. We were family and friends and it was a lovely day. There were 4 small children, a preteen and a teen. And a puppy and a cat. Everything clicked. No drama. Daughter in law gave up trying to dress the 3 grands in matching clothes and posing for endless pictures so it was all very nice. Got a bit rowdy now and then but all in good humor. It isn t always this relaxed. Mr lookeyloo is making gumbo with leftover turkey. We brought roux and Tasso from the south. The house smells wonderful. What isn't a problem but different is that the teenager and the preteen have friends over. The little one is overtired and grumpy. So I am holed up with the iPad. Our team is playing football soon. May watch some of that. Used to be we played with kids all day. Tiring too. Just different. Counting blessings today. I recognize that things change and could turn on a dime so I am grateful for this good time. It wasn't always like this in my life. Wishing all of my Small Talk friends a little peace.

• Love 9

Reporting in on our thanksgiving dinner which was Friday. We flew from ATL to SEATAC on Alaska airlines which is a very nice way to fly. We had 14 people yesterday. Two turkeys and many sides and desserts. We were family and friends and it was a lovely day. There were 4 small children, a preteen and a teen. And a puppy and a cat. Everything clicked. No drama. Daughter in law gave up trying to dress the 3 grands in matching clothes and posing for endless pictures so it was all very nice. Got a bit rowdy now and then but all in good humor. It isn t always this relaxed. Mr lookeyloo is making gumbo with leftover turkey. We brought roux and Tasso from the south. The house smells wonderful. What isn't a problem but different is that the teenager and the preteen have friends over. The little one is overtired and grumpy. So I am holed up with the iPad. Our team is playing football soon. May watch some of that. Used to be we played with kids all day. Tiring too. Just different. Counting blessings today. I recognize that things change and could turn on a dime so I am grateful for this good time. It wasn't always like this in my life. Wishing all of my Small Talk friends a little peace.

I just Googled tasso... and it sounds delicious!  PS - I heart 'pig' in almost all its forms!

• Love 2

There were only five of us for Thanksgiving dinner, although I made enough for at least three times that many--can't help myself. I do love to cook. I did lots of prep a day or two ahead so that there wasn't much actual cooking to accomplish on Thursday. Still, I was ridiculously tired yesterday. We had to go to a fancy party last night--my husband's boss's 70th birthday. I mean, we like the guy and all, but WHO schedules a fancy party at a special venue for the freaking night after Thanksgiving?? Even worse, we have to do their company Christmas party NEXT Friday, same restaurant! :P  Oh well. I dragged my tired ass along and played social, but today I just want to do absolutely NOTHING.

Part of the trouble is that two weeks ago we did the most spontaneous thing in our entire married life and it was so exhausting I don't think I've yet recovered: I won grand prize in a contest--two tickets to opening night of Misery on Broadway (Bruce Willis and Laurie Metcalf), plus dinner at a NYC steakhouse, and some other crazy stuff. I've never been to New York (and never really had a burning desire to go) and I live on the opposite coast in a tiny little town that's far from everywhere. They notified me on a Monday afternoon, and opening night for the play was in six days! We had to mull it over--the prize didn't include airfare and getting cross-country plane tickets at the last minute is danged expensive. But our youngest son lives there--he's a musical theater student at the Manhattan School of Music. He let us crash at his apartment in Harlem, met us at JFK, shepherded us into the subway, and squired us around town so that we knew where the heck we were going, etc. It was a wild weekend, incredibly exhausting, and the plane trip home was a long nightmare of troubles that are best left to some other post!

All that to say that old ladies like me take a lot longer to bounce back from cumulative physical stress. All I want to do for the next couple of days is stay in my nightgown, lay around reading, getting up for the occasional turkey sandwich. This getting old shit ain't for sissies. ;)

• Love 17

I have only just begun to leftover. I haven't even made soup yet, and I'm sneaking whipped cream into my morning coffee. The broccoli souffle is gone though. My adult kids dang near arm-wrestle over it.

That's so weird - our family too. Leftovers were split among 6 different households and all are reporting the green vegetables going first - !!!!  In our case, creamed spinach and roasted Brussels sprouts. I had creamed spinach for breakfast yesterday morning...

• Love 5

I'm just glad holiday number one is over, and now to move onto holiday number two.  My grandmother did alright, though when my husband and daughter went to pick her up she fussed that she was not seeing her sons.  Come to find out that one uncle did tell her he wasn't going out for T-Day, but she didn't remember, while the other kinda blew it off.  So he has been told to show up for sure on X-mas Eve, even if she's only here for a little while he can take turns picking her up and taking her back.  It ended up being a quiet day mostly which is a good thing after all my prior couple of months excitement and playing dutiful child.  

Yum, creamed spinach!  I'm going to make my easy spinach and tortellini soup this week, it's def a cold weather kind of thing.  I'm not any great cook but I'd bet even money that my kid has had way more exposure to different foods than what passes for a menu at the TTH.

• Love 5

That's so weird - our family too. Leftovers were split among 6 different households and all are reporting the green vegetables going first - !!!!  In our case, creamed spinach and roasted Brussels sprouts. I had creamed spinach for breakfast yesterday morning...

Mmmm...I have a recipe for Brussels sprouts that I only make every couple of years for the holidays because the fat content is terrifying. It's called "screaming heads" (no idea...) and includes prosciutto, heavy cream, and gruyere cheese. Heck, I adore B. sprouts just steamed--all that extra stuff is gilding the lily, but SO YUMMY.

• Love 5

Today was take down the fall decorations and our anniversary balloons and cards. (We don't buy each other presents, just lovely or fun cards, and put out a display of sentimental stuffed animals, hanging balloons and maybe some candy.) Taking a break before the December decorations go up.

Enjoying leftover chopped liver...please don't judge. :) ...turkey and desserts. But already missing my son and his family who left to drive six hours home.

Can't wait to hear about the new grandbaby, HAPPYFATCHICK. I'm jealous. Our youngest grandchild is 9, and I think our kids are all done making blessings.

Wishing everyone a relaxing rest of the weekend.

• Love 5

We have a plethora of "Marie"'s in our family. (We have a plethora of girls born when Marie was the most popular middle name in the WORLD - no kidding). My daughter's middle name is Marie. The baby Daddy (my son) has a step sister middle named Marie. His wife (mother of the new baby) - middle name Marie. My oldest son and his wife lost an infant 11 years ago, Reagan Marie. Marie Marie Marie. We even had a dog born late 1999 (now in doggie heaven) named Milleneum Marie on her registration papers. We're Marie heavy. I thought it would be fitting (almost mandatory) to name the new baby Marie. My son wouldn't do it because of Reagan Marie (who would have been his niece). He feels the name belongs to her forever now. The wife/mother-to-be really would have liked to name the baby Marie, and told me she still thought she might like to give that name to a future child.

To which I replied: your next child is going to be a boy. I'm thinking Marie might be a problem for him by about the 3rd grade. Butch Marie has a nice ring to it, right?

• Love 6

I have a friend whose family uses Ann as the middle name for every girl child. Her mother and aunt are both (first name) Ann, her and her two sisters are all (first name) Ann, her new neice has Ann as a middle name, and her grandmother and 4 girl cousins all have it. I find it such an odd thing to give everyone the same middle name, but to them it's normal.

• Love 1

I have a friend whose family uses Ann as the middle name for every girl child. Her mother and aunt are both (first name) Ann, her and her two sisters are all (first name) Ann, her new neice has Ann as a middle name, and her grandmother and 4 girl cousins all have it. I find it such an odd thing to give everyone the same middle name, but to them it's normal.

Could you imagine if all the male Duggars where named Jim Bob? Or all the females where called Michelle? Hi I'm Jim Bob the 7th.

• Love 1