Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Sophie's Choice and Steel Magnolias

Can't even make myself watch Sophie's Choice and Steel Magnolias makes me weep. What about Terms of Endearment. Another one I felt tricked by. No reading about it on themoviespoiler.com

• Love 3

Can't even make myself watch Sophie's Choice and Steel Magnolias makes me weep. What about Terms of Endearment. Another one I felt tricked by. No reading about it on themoviespoiler.com

Yup, seen them all. Not a tear. I'm just not a crier when it comes to TV and movies. Actually I'm just not a big crier. (I do have feelings though)

• Love 3

I went to check out Honey, because I have never heard of that song. i did not shed one tear. Not a single one. I think Dumbo is one of my favorite Disney movies of all time (not terribly into princesses) though it does make me tear up. I absolutely love the music in it. Bridge to Terabithia was one of my favorite childhood books and I did cry reading it. I was not an animal lover as a child and so it was sort of sad when the dog would die in the end of a movie or novel, but not overwhelmingly so. If I read any of those stories now I am sure I would be a blubbering mess. The fragility of life is more acute once I've had some life experiences under my belt.

Edited by XinaMarie
  • Love 1

Any movie where a parent dies always gets me. Forrest Gump - when Sally Fields is on her deathbed.

The Sixth Sense- the car scene at the end of the movie where the boy tells his mother that grandma is coming through and she's proud of them.

Benjamin Button- really changed how I view life in terms of my mortality.

• Love 4

First, so sorry Skittl. I hope you are able to find some peace.

But maybe don't watch the movies in this thread! I've practically misted up remembering them.

Not a fan of shoot-em-ups or aliens or any kind of movies that require bloodshed so I usually will find something in the rom-com or kids/YA dept and it seems that most of those are tearjerkers at some point.

I could barely finish Toy Story 3 and if an animal is involved I can be reasonably certain it will meet an untimely death so I don't watch those.

And like bigskygirl the animal abuse ads just... I can't. I've practically injured myself diving for the remote. I can name that tune, In the Arms of an Angel, in one note.

When I think of the song "White Christmas" I always think of the movie "Holiday Inn". I'm so confused.

• Love 4

My four year old female cat Sassy usually goes outside with me when I go to the mailbox. This afternoon one of my neighbor's adorable, friendly female Siamese cat decided to start following me. She did stopped about half way to the mailboxes. I came back and there she was following along like a lost puppy. She got close to my house before Sassy saw her. Sassy started meowing, and the poor kitty got scared. I had to pick up Sassy so she would not chase away the other kitty. It was so cute when the other kitty followed me. I love seeing the neighborhood cats. Sassy loves to chase the other cats out of her area. She also loves to climb the tree to go after squirrels and birds. She also gets in the bad habit of leaving the yard to follow or look for other cats. Tia is usually more friendlier with the neighborhood cats. I still laugh about the time a small dog came in the yard and started barking at her. She was not impressed at all and just looked at the dog like he was a nutcase.

GeeGolly, my sister is not a crier either. She is a kind, compassionate person who is much nicer than I am, but movies, TV, books- none of that makes her cry. I cry at everything, so I'm sure we provided some challenges for my mother.

Kalamac, I didn't cry when Rose left on Doctor Who, but every single time I see the episode with Vincent van Gogh, I bawl. Matt Smith absolutely nails that speech at the end.

• Love 4

One housecat here. And we had made a conscious decision to not get animals! But he adopted us. He was maybe about a year old and we later found out he had been abandoned a few months earlier. Just a little craycray so the housecat thing was a bit of a struggle. But worth the effort. We've been together for 11 years! Cats, imho, are the best.

Oh. That song Honey? Makes me roll my eyes. And I cry at commercials!

I feel a little cold-hearted. I can't think of a movie that has made me actually cry. My daughter, on the other hand can get teary from some commercials.

Whenever I need to just cry ... Steel Magnolias does it for me. I watch it every so often and cry my eyes out. Then all is well in my world. Yes, I am weird.

• Love 1

Oh my god you guys. I am now having flashbacks to childhood where my negligent parents never watched what I read and I had devoured all of Hans Christian Anderson and the Brother's Grimm at 6 and it terrified me...the Match Girl, the Dancing princesses, ugh but did I stop reading, no.

Ring of Bright Water, Bambi, that damned dog and cat travel book (as I called it) stopped me cold in the middle and I couldn't go on.

I cry at Kleenex commercials and The English Patient had me sobbing in the car for an hour after the movie. I went by myself because I'm dumb evidently. I cried at Up, and so many others.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 2

My ugly-cry movie of all time is Truly Madly Deeply.  Alan Rickman play a dead (but still amazingly hot) cellist who haunts his lover to push her to get on with her life,  Really remarkable acting by Juliet Stevenson.  It's a favorite.

For books, Little Women never fails.  I can't remember who said that they reread it because maybe Beth doesn't die this time but YES.  I do the same thing.  Plus, I adore Jo.  She's flawed and fabulous and real.  Also, the end of The Little Prince.  I can't even think about that book without weeping.  Excuse me, I need tissues.

Yes! Terms of Endearment and The Joy Luck Club make me sob.

I made the mistake of seeing Terms of Endearment the weekend before my cancer surgery.  I haven't been able to watch it again, despite featuring John Lithgow who I have a massive crush on. 

• Love 2

First, so sorry Skittl. I hope you are able to find some peace.

But maybe don't watch the movies in this thread! I've practically misted up remembering them.

Not a fan of shoot-em-ups or aliens or any kind of movies that require bloodshed so I usually will find something in the rom-com or kids/YA dept and it seems that most of those are tearjerkers at some point.

I could barely finish Toy Story 3 and if an animal is involved I can be reasonably certain it will meet an untimely death so I don't watch those.

And like bigskygirl the animal abuse ads just... I can't. I've practically injured myself diving for the remote. I can name that tune, In the Arms of an Angel, in one note.

When I think of the song "White Christmas" I always think of the movie "Holiday Inn". I'm so confused.

"White Christmas" was written for the movie Holiday Inn - Bing Crosby sings it twice in this film, I think. Holiday Inn was released in 1941, and then after the War, they made a second movie called White Christmas, different story entirely, which of course included the song again, with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Fanny Kaye. But overall and iMO, Holiday Inn was the better film overall.

• Love 2

Sophie's Choice and Steel Magnolias

OMG, I forgot Sophie's Choice. How could I? Hands-down, saddest - movie - ever. That gorgeous music didn't help either. So very sad.

Steel Magnolias is sad too but with a lot of humor and an overall positive vibe, I think. Knowing that it's a true story certainly adds to the sadness though. And how great was it that a male writer could produce such a wonderful film about women? Robert Harling - now why haven't you written more? We need you! 

• Love 2

Mr. lookeyloo, who is happy to watch any kind of violent movie, refuses to watch an animal movie/show if said animal dies at the end.  Regardless of how.  Even peacefully of old age.  I don't like them either.  He felt like he was tricked as a kid with "Old Yeller".

My Dad said the same thing - he felt tricked as a child. He always mentioned those Lassie movies from MGM - and Old Yeller - and Dumbo - and Bambi. And my Mom was always a mess when we watched Dumbo. When Mama Elephant gets locked up and can only reach her trunk out of the cage to scoop up little baby Dumbo and rock him. Sniff, sniff... I must admit I lose it everytime I see that too.

• Love 1

geegolly do come join me in the freezing cold no cry section.  

Sometimes I wish I could cry but can't.  I feel very deeply though.  Can feel like I want to die inside.  Outward appearances, nothing.

I haven't seen or heard of most of these movies or books, but the things that some cried over, I got a warm fuzzy over.  Like Dumbo being rocked in the trunk of his mom.  I guess Beth dying doesn't bother me because it was obvious from the beginning that she would. Or Terms of Endearment, she was a goner.  Plenty of prep time to know the eventual end.  Sophie's Choice, well I looked at the impossible ethical problem.  

• Love 1

Helen's death in Jane Eyre.  The end of Sommersby.  Alison Krauss' version of "Baby Mine" (the lullaby from Dumbo).  I cry my head off every time.

The stupid one that makes me cry, though, is "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks.  Talk about lame lyrics and predictable rhymes, but it brings me to tears.  Also "Everybody Hurts" (or as my husband calls it "magpye's Sunday morning dirge" because I used to play it on, yep, Sunday mornings, no idea why).

Yes to whoever mentioned Chick's reunion with his son in Armageddon!  

I can't think of any others, although there are many, but I love to cry over movies and books, especially when I'm in a sad mood to begin with.  It's cathartic.

• Love 1

Did you know "Seasons in the Sun" was an adaptation of a French song by Jacques Brel called "Le Moribond?" Similar theme in that the narrator is dying, but the Brel version is, I don't know, rougher? The lyrics are a little bit harsher, the musical arrangement is not as lavish, and Brel's voice was anything but sweet. He says goodbye to various people -- a friend, a priest, his wife's lover -- and asks them to look after his wife. Then at the end he says goodbye to his wife, and asks her to look after his soul. The chorus is (more or less) "I want them to laugh/ I want them to dance/ I want them to have fun like crazy/ I want them to laugh/ I want them to dance/ when it's time to put me in the ground."

• Love 4

I sobbed over an episode of Doogie Howser when Doogie's girlfriend's mother died. The girlfriend (whose character name I just can't remember) was 17 and found herself with new responsibilities for her father and brother and trying to fill in for her mother. This resonated with my as I was 17 when my mother died suddenly and I had a lot more responsibilities as the oldest girl and the oldest at home at the time. As I was crying I was telling myself that this is Doogie Howser, but what the girlfriend was saying was what I felt all those years earlier, but I hadn't been able to express those feelings.

I also always cry over the ending to my second favourite film "Captains Courageous". When the people of the town throw wreaths into the water for the fishermen who did not return that season, it gets me every time. By the way, my first favourite film is "42nd Street". Nothing to cry over there, except that I could never tap dance like Ruby Keeler.

• Love 3

Oh, heavens, Turner and Hooch! Hated the ending.

My BIL loves to watch horror films.  My sister and I tell him if we see an animal at the beginning, we're not going to watch the ending because we know they get it.

• Love 1

I walked out of "Beethoven". Anyone who loves animals has most likely owned an animal and therefore has been at the vets....... My then 4 year old niece was sobbing. Making her sit through that was akin to child abuse. We walked! Honestly, though a good cry can be therapeutic, I prefer not to spend good money to induce one!

I feel a little cold-hearted. I can't think of a movie that has made me actually cry.

You can come sit by me.  We'll nod stoically and get angry at the obvious emotional manipulation.

• Love 7

Ahh Seasons in the Sun.Hate the Terry Jacks version.It's sappy and has no feeling.I love the Brel or the Rod McKuen version.I got addicted to Rod McKuen at about age 12.His voice is different oh but his words.Another Brel song he does that I love is If you go away.He has a French and an English version.My absolute favourite McKuen poem also put to music is The art of catching trains.Seeing the Peanuts movie is being talked about I shall mention that Rod McKuen wrote the music for another Peanuts movie I can't recall the title but it was the one where he goes to New York(?) for a spelling bee.I love the song Champion Charlie Brown.

A song that kicks me in the gut is He would be sixteen.The first time I heard it I was driving and thank goodness I was alone.I can't imagine why it gets me every time.Things like that usually don't.A movie I will not watch is Marley and me.I read the book without hearing anything about the story.It wasn't a good scene.I am immune to alot of people stuff but not animal stuff.

• Love 1

"White Christmas" was written for the movie Holiday Inn - Bing Crosby sings it twice in this film, I think. Holiday Inn was released in 1941, and then after the War, they made a second movie called White Christmas, different story entirely, which of course included the song again, with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Fanny Kaye. But overall and iMO, Holiday Inn was the better film overall.

Holiday Inn is an absolute hoot.  It really is, the Lincoln's Birthday set piece aside (which is actually well done once you get over the shock of seeing everyone in blackface).  You don't really recognize what a great actor Crosby was until you find out he was an utter SOB in real life.  He always comes off so personable and ... well ... not a nasty drunk on film.

• Love 3

I have always liked Holiday Inn much better than White Christmas. Neither makes me cry :)

Cannot listen to Mr. Bojangles, due to the dog.

I am a sucker for all obvious emotional manipulation. Last Christmas season I was yelling, "Curse you, Wells Fargo!" at the TV, over the commercial where the stagecoach delivers a Chriatmas present. A horse eats a carrot proffered by a snowman. Total sucker.

I always wonder if te ASPCA, etc commercials are effective, since I don't know a soul who can stand to watch them.

The first time I heard "Don't Bring the Girl," I was with my sister in a shitty Las Vegas motel room in 1992, watching the Jerry Lewis telethon. We were pretty well sick already from massive drinking that day to combat our fear of flying. We were too sick to cry. It just made us mad.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 1

Mr Barb loves oldies music & we went thru a Death song phase (as I called it) when we were younger. "Tell Laura I love her" was included along with "Honey."

The remedy for both of those songs is to sing "Teen Angel."  Everyone I knew used to add the line "or somewhere down below,' and sing it over the line about "and am I still your own true love."   

• Love 2

I used to be tough as nails until I hit my 50s. Now I'm a total marshmallow -- but cannot let my family see it because they all trust me to be the tough one! Now I ask them, "Is it going to be the saddest movie ever?" and they understand that I won't watch anything that fits into that category. I have to avoid all movies with an animal because I know the animal is likely to die. I couldn't handle Up. I won't watch Toy Story 3, Turner and Hooch or Marley and Me. I like scary supernatural movies but bailed on The Babadook because there was a cute dog and an implication that it was going to meet an unhappy fate. But people fool me. I recently watched a bio of Walt Disney and they made me watch the death scene from Bambi.

My weirdest Saddest Movie Ever is my 20-year-old daughter's favorite, How To Train Your Dragon. There's a scene where Hiccup first meets Toothless and is about to kill him, believing he's dangerous. The look in Toothless's eyes as he resigns himself to death absolutely ruined the movie for me. It's all I can remember, though everyone assures me that the rest of the movie is pretty good and really not sad at all.

So, in the Pantheon of Tragic Oldies Songs we have:

-Honey

-Teen Angel

-Tell Laura I Love Her

-Last Kiss

-Leader of the Pack

-Running Bear 

-Dead Man's Curve

I am sitting here singing leader of pack and when i finish i start with Honey

I still remember the joy of my first Labor Day with cable TV, when I realized I had many good alternative shows to watch!

I used to despise Labor Day weekend before the advent of cable.  I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, so between the freaking telethon and everyone freaking out because the Eagles' game was always blacked out (due to everyone and their mother going down the shore), and the start of school on Tuesday, it was my most hated of holidays.  

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 3

And now I hope I don't get a loop of Teen Angel and Last Kiss going through my brain.

Though it would be better than almost anything Jerry Lewis related. Ugh. BUT, I can offer him some forgiveness because of the dramatic turn he does in King of Comedy. Of course it doesn't hurt that DeNiro and Sandra Bernhard are in it.

And thanks to Jamiesmum for the Captains Courageous reminder. What a film! Some of those sailing scenes are masterful. Wiki reports that movie cost $1,645,000. to make in 1937! Wow.

n/m need new glasses, sorry for name misspell. Twice.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Updated Pantheon of Tragic Oldies Songs we have:

-Honey
-Teen Angel
-Tell Laura I Love Her
-Last Kiss
-Leader of the Pack
-Running Bear
-Dead Man's Curve

-Shannon

-Billy Don't Be A Hero

-One Tin Soldier

-Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots

-The Surfboard Came Back By Itself (technically a parody, but c'mon, it's about a surfer being eaten by a shark ...)

May be off topic for any other thread so here...... I never wanted to give birth. Being pregnant might have been cool, but given the inevitable result... Reading about ten pound humans emerging from someone's nether bits, and tearing vaginas has made me unquestionably happy with my choice!

• Love 5

Speaking of Jerry Lewis. First, Tabbygirl, a tip of my hat to you for surviving my idea of total hell on earth. A cheap motel room and a Jerry Lewis telethon. Short of dread disease or actual personal tragedy? It's hard for me to imagine anything more horrible. You must be tough, and I salute you for surviving.

Now. I may draw a lot of hate here. But I wonder, am I the only one who never, ever, found Jerry Lewis the least bit funny or entertaining? I was a kid in the 50's, and I have vague memories of when Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin were a team. They made some movies, I think, and then Lewis went solo and made movies and appeared on TV as a comedian. I never thought he was funny, even when I was a kid, watching him doing slapstick on TV. Nor was I ever impressed by his charity begathons on TV. I still remember the joy of my first Labor Day with cable TV, when I realized I had many good alternative shows to watch!

I know, he's had a very successful career, and lots of people must just love him. But me? Nope.

As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Edited 'cause I goofed in naming the person who posted about the telethon. My bad.

AND we were hungover. During the day. And it was a gross Super 8 motel. We were too stupid to find a cheap real hotel. We watched the telethon for the cheese factor, plus it was being filmed nearby, which seemed kinda fun for some weird reason.

I absolutely loathe Jerry Lewis - except I think he was EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT in "The King of Comedy."

• Love 1

Re the Jerry Lewis Telethon. It was a staple in my house. It signified a new school year was beginning. A chance for a fresh start. New clothes. New underwear. New book bag. My parents would ooh and ahh over each celebrity. Sammy Davis, Frank Sinatra, et al. Once I was grown the telethon was always on in the background on Labor Day weekend. And then it was gone. I missed it. Felt bad for poor Jerry being set aside after all those years. This year I hit up you tube on Labor Day feeling nostalgic. Wow! Racist and homophobic jokes. Were people in the '50's morons? Cause really, Jerry Lewis? Talent? Oh, and Frank Sinatra. Living proof that smoking, drinking, and sleeping around is not good for the singing voice. Why didn't someone tell him he could no longer sing? What the hell was I nostalgic about? I came away happy that this "tradition", like minstrel shows and freak shows, was now in the past.

Edited by kathe5133
  • Love 7