Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

So, all you cruise ship aficionados have convinced me to greatly discourage the dancing pre-med girl not to do cruise ships in her "gap year"!  She plans to take a year to struggle in NYC and try to dance professionaly between her bachelor's and and taking the MCAT, but contemplated possible cruise ship auditions as well.  Sounds like a bad idea to me!

I've only been on one as a teen, with pretty "top deck?" accommodations because of my grandfather's affiliation with the line and it was an amazing experience (especially the incredibly hot Italian men serving on the ship that I crushed on!). Do you still have to dress really fancy for dinner every night?

eta: The ACA, while I'm a huge supporter I could see when the dividing lines were first published that there was no damn way it was going to work for those that made just a skotch too much - that they would go broke trying to cover the premiums.  And now?  Employer provided insurance rates are beginning to skyrocket or have so much more additional cost sharing in deductibles, co-pays and co-insurance it's getting ridiculous.  I don't want to get too political on this board, but really, medicare for all single payer was really the best way to go.  It's high time we took the profit out of coverage, to me it's a sin that people are getting fantastically rich in the health insurance industry, because it's people's well being.  

There is an interesting article about the staff of cruise ships on the Mental Floss site.

The Astros Mascot was apparently at the game last night:

I'm walking to the bathroom a few minutes ago and these big shoes of mine tripped on a cord near a tv truck. What did I miss? #WorldSeries

(I'm not a baseball watcher but i love this tweet lol)

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

Bifocals? I'm into trifocals! Distance, computer, reading... I've tried contacts, but the air is so dry in the office, I can't stand wearing them. When I was younger and more vain, dry eyes or not, I was in contacts, now, glasses are just more comfortable for my eyes.

Never been on a cruise, but love being on the water. My sister was one a cruise ship when she was 8 mos pregnant and going to Japan. (The army didn't know she was that far along and told her if they knew, she wouldn't have been going). She said it was fun! They had events every night, including a costume party where the costumes had to be made of paper. She was proud because the costume she made for her husband won first prize and some of the other costumes were made professionally! She played also learned how to play golf. The ship did survive a typhoon.  So I'm still on the fence about going on a cruise. If anything happens you're on board and can't just walk away, but they do keep you busy.  

Thinking about it that way, even Hawaii could be a paradise or jail.  We had a meeting in Hawaii during 9/11 and a lot of staff were stranded there for a week.  We made jokes about not expecting much sympathy for those of us back in DC, but later realized they were stuck! They said the island really started to feel small, and there was no way they could just get off the island to the mainland and back to families.  You still hear about people wanting to go to Hawaii...:)

• Love 2

I've been invited to a friend's Halloween party.  I need a low intensity costume under which I can hide a shoulder brace if needed.  I'm healing from a pretty intense injury and can't risk being jostled.  So I am going as a Praymate, the fundamentalist version of a Playmate.  I have my incredibly covered clothing (maxi skirt, boat neck top, flat shoes (can't wear flipflops, sorry Duggars!)) and my bunny ears and tail.  I plan to wear the tail ridiculously high so as to not defraud anyone by drawing attention to my ass.  I'll pile on the makeup and curl my hair.  After all, I need to bring attention to my countenance.  I also have a few simple cross necklaces, and I'll be handing out bible verses.  I am really looking forward to this.

Might I recommend Jill Rodrigues's excellent hair & makeup tutorial? You can do your hair & makeup along with her as she explains. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CniCyVDjbcY
  • Love 5

I love cruises. And I don't drink, gamble, smoke, overeat (I've lost weight every cruise) or lay out and tan.  Generally my sea day activity is playing trivia....

We've done 4 Carnival Cruises now and 1 high end Celebrity (we did their Galapagos cruise, which is a ship with fewer than 100 passengers, so very different from their mass market experience).  Carnival is like going to Applebees- it's not a fancy experience, but it's cheap and it's fun. For me, it's about the ports.  Although I'm liking sea days more than I used to (I used to think they were boring- see list above of what I don't do), I find cruising to be a great way to see lots of places and get an idea of where I'd like to go back to.  Plus I just love being on the ocean (though with the big ships you barely feel the movement, so you sometimes don't know you are on the ocean unless you are looking...)

Since our first cruise in 2008, Carnival's food has gone downhill a bit; but so has their pricing.  You get what you pay for. We're cheap.

(The Galapagos cruise: not cheap. But that was all about the destination. Some of the food was amazing, some blah- but that wasn't very representative of Celebrity as a whole, so I don't know how to compare them.)

One thing- if you do plan to just "try" cruising. Go on at LEAST a 5-day, maybe a 7-day.  I haven't done one, but the 3-day cruises get a hugely party reputation, and you very well may see drunks puking all over the ship.  I've never seen anything like that on a longer cruise. Mostly it's just families on vacation.

To the person wondering about dancing on the ship: I don't know about dancing, but I have a friend who ice skates for Royal Carribean and he said it has been the best experience of his life. Yes, he has other jobs he has to do around the ship, doesn't get much sleep, and pay isn't fabulous (not bad if you aren't keeping up a residence at home), but he's got to travel the world. And the entertainment staff is treated MILES ahead of the food serving and housekeeping staff.  I'm not sure cruiselines really recognize those staff members are people...

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 5

I love cruises. And I don't drink, gamble, smoke, overeat (I've lost weight every cruise) or lay out and tan.  Generally my sea day activity is playing trivia....

We've done 4 Carnival Cruises now and 1 high end Celebrity (we did their Galapagos cruise, which is a ship with fewer than 100 passengers, so very different from their mass market experience).  Carnival is like going to Applebees- it's not a fancy experience, but it's cheap and it's fun. For me, it's about the ports.  Although I'm liking sea days more than I used to (I used to think they were boring- see list above of what I don't do), I find cruising to be a great way to see lots of places and get an idea of where I'd like to go back to.  Plus I just love being on the ocean (though with the big ships you barely feel the movement, so you sometimes don't know you are on the ocean unless you are looking...)

Since our first cruise in 2008, Carnival's food has gone downhill a bit; but so has their pricing.  You get what you pay for. We're cheap.

(The Galapagos cruise: not cheap. But that was all about the destination. Some of the food was amazing, some blah- but that wasn't very representative of Celebrity as a whole, so I don't know how to compare them.)

One thing- if you do plan to just "try" cruising. Go on at LEAST a 5-day, maybe a 7-day.  I haven't done one, but the 3-day cruises get a hugely party reputation, and you very well may see drunks puking all over the ship.  I've never seen anything like that on a longer cruise. Mostly it's just families on vacation.

To the person wondering about dancing on the ship: I don't know about dancing, but I have a friend who ice skates for Royal Carribean and he said it has been the best experience of his life. Yes, he has other jobs he has to do around the ship, doesn't get much sleep, and pay isn't fabulous (not bad if you aren't keeping up a residence at home), but he's got to travel the world. And the entertainment staff is treated MILES ahead of the food serving and housekeeping staff.  I'm not sure cruiselines really recognize those staff members are people...

I think the lack of sensation of moving was my biggest disappointment.  Growing up my dad had a lake sailer that he'd dock on Lake Erie and that really feels like sailing.  Cruising feels like nothing unless it's storming.  I've always wanted to do one of those windjammer cruises on the sailboats.  I think that would give me more of the experience I am craving.

• Love 3

It's not a dumb question at all. We do have programs for premium assistance in Minnesota, actually very good ones; I just make a little too much money to qualify. They base it on percentage above poverty level but the actual amount of the premium doesn't factor in at all. In my office everyone is either young enough to draw on their parents or married and under spousal coverage. Unfortunately I am old and single. If I wasn't asthmatic I wouldn't worry so much. It sucks to know you are one pneumonia episode from ruin.

But if my house is hit by a tornado, I'm covered! :)

Put me on a sailboat in the middle of Lake Michigan and I'm a happy camper. But cruise ships have all the excitement of watching Love Boat in your living room. Ho hum.

As Vixen said please go to the needy meds.com website and see if your inhalers are covered. This site is basically an online clearinghouse for drug companies patient assistance programs. The requirements are much much different and more flexible then government assisted programs, in many cases you don't even have to show proof of income. It's my understanding that drug companies get many tax breaks etc but are required to have some sort of patient assistance programs. When I was a hospital social worker I used that site on a daily basis.

Secondly I hate Dr. Laura with the strength of a thousand suns and need to point out her PhD is in physiology. She is licensed in some type of counseling but that's it. Her opinions are just that, HER opinions ,and not based on any psychological school of thought or research.

ETA also have the generic drug name handy as it may be listed under that.

Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 5

So, all you cruise ship aficionados have convinced me to greatly discourage the dancing pre-med girl not to do cruise ships in her "gap year"!  She plans to take a year to struggle in NYC and try to dance professionaly between her bachelor's and and taking the MCAT, but contemplated possible cruise ship auditions as well.  Sounds like a bad idea to me!

I've only been on one as a teen, with pretty "top deck?" accommodations because of my grandfather's affiliation with the line and it was an amazing experience (especially the incredibly hot Italian men serving on the ship that I crushed on!). Do you still have to dress really fancy for dinner every night? 

I wouldn't discourage her at all.  It's apparently a great way for people with BFAs to make a living.  Depending on the line, the productions are usually pretty well done (only saw one truly terrible one and it was on Norwegian who has since upgraded).  Yeah, the crew accommodations are super tight, but if she's an easy-going person who likes to travel, it could be the experience of a lifetime.

As for actually cruising, I love it.  I've taken about ten or so on a couple of different lines, none of the ones that still make you dress up.  Lemur ain't got time for that.  But it's fun, the food is usually pretty good, the booze is a bit pricey, but there's gambling and duty-free shopping so it feeds just about all of my vices.

I think the lack of sensation of moving was my biggest disappointment.  Growing up my dad had a lake sailer that he'd dock on Lake Erie and that really feels like sailing.  Cruising feels like nothing unless it's storming.  I've always wanted to do one of those windjammer cruises on the sailboats.  I think that would give me more of the experience I am craving.

Pretty much this.  You feel the thrusters come on when they first come one, but other than this, it's a huge vessel so a lot of the movement gets displaced.  That said, I have been on a cruise ship that listed about 5 degrees.  It doesn't sound like much, but a 5-degree list at water level is exponentially higher 6 decks up.  Fun times (literally, I thought it was fun).  I just hugged my slot machine and laughed.  Over all though, the officers and crew actively avoid such situations and the safety record for the industry in general is pretty damned good in peace time. 

This.  Exactly this.  Skittl is right on.  2008 was when we moved away from Carnival in favor of NCL because it became clear that Carnival was the cruise equivalent of driving to Florida in a '84 Reliant Stationwagon instead of popping for the airfare.  Yeah, you'll get there but you'll be cramped and hot and feed out of gas stations but you most likely will have fun.  

• Love 6

Other than getting to go the the Galapagos in general, that was something I loved about the Xpedition. It didn't feel like sailing, but the ship moved A LOT (because it is so small, and because stabilizers only work when moving, and it was often anchored).  It was great to know you were on the water.

Is Windjammer still in business? I do think that would be awesome.  But I'm super cheap (hence, sailing Carnival) so I won't pay a lot of money for the carribean.

• Love 1

Always wanted to pose the same question to Phyllis Schlafly -ugh.

Actually I like Dr. Laura and used to listen to her regularly.  She often stated that while she did work, she arranged her hours so she could be home with her son, which was her priority.  She never really advocated NOT working outside the home.  Her belief is that if you have a child, that child's well being should be your main concern.   For some people this would be an issue.  Not everyone has the luxury of being able to set their own hours, of course.  This is why I think some people who are intensely career driven and choose not to have kids should not be criticized for it.  They have it right.  That's what choice is all about.  She did make the point that some women who would like to stay home with their kids said they could not do so for financial reasons.  I think she pointed out that when one counted in day care, transportation, lunches, and all the other things associated with a job, sometimes the money you made was really almost a break even deal.  To the best of my knowledge she did not excoriate single moms who had to work.  She advocated being a good judge of whom you were going to marry (marry in haste, repent in leisure), and having safe sex so that you didn't end up with an unwanted pregnancy.  I can support that.  I'm a bit to the right, in case you haven't figured it out, but I respect other opinions.

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2

My husband has been talking about doing a cruise for years...We just need to decide where to go. He's been wanting to go back to the Carribean ever since our honeymoon in St Maarten (30 years ago), but I'm not much of a hot weather person and the Alaskan cruises sound pretty intriguing to me. He also had the experience of sailing through the Norwegian Fjords back in his earlier days in the Navy and his descriptions of that sound like something I would love. We have also talked about the river cruises, which sound interesting. My son took a Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago and highly recommends that...so many cruises, so little cash...

Oh, and the Galapagos cruise sounds amazing as well!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 2

My husband has been talking about doing a cruise for years...We just need to decide where to go. He's been wanting to go back to the Carribean ever since our honeymoon in St Maarten (30 years ago), but I'm not much of a hot weather person and the Alaskan cruises sound pretty intriguing to me. He also had the experience of sailing through the Norwegian Fjords back in his earlier days in the Navy and his descriptions of that sound like something I would love. We have also talked about the river cruises, which sound interesting. My son took a Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago and highly recommends that...so many cruises, so little cash...

Oh, and the Galapagos cruise sounds amazing as well!

If you want to experience cruising but don't want hot, try a 5 day Canadian cruise.  Halifax and St. John (or is it St. John's?  I can't remember) are fun to explore and you get a good sense of what it's like. 

• Love 5

If you want to experience cruising but don't want hot, try a 5 day Canadian cruise.  Halifax and St. John (or is it St. John's?  I can't remember) are fun to explore and you get a good sense of what it's like. 

I love that cruise to halifax  so much,  I  now  go on the 7 day one that also stops in Maine and Boston.

Edited by amitville
  • Love 3

Do you still have to dress really fancy for dinner every night?

Just saw this. On most of the typical mass market lines- no.  Some of the more expensive lines have stricter dress codes.

For Carnival. They have 1 or 2 "elegant" nights. Elegant apparently means "not jeans", but some ships it really just means "not crappy jeans" depending on the Maitre'D. Some women wear ballgowns, some sun-dresses, others slacks and a top. Some men wear full on suits (or tuxes!), others wear khakis and a polo.  On non-elegant nights you can get away with almost anything, though you can't wear just a bathing suit in the buffet, and you have to be fully clothed in the restaurant, and there is actually a bit of a dress code, but it's like common courtesy for a nice-ish meal; men can't wear tank tops for instance. We've gone to dinner in t-shirt and shorts before.

Oh, and I really really want to do a Baltic cruise. But they cost a lot.We

were all set to try NCL, but then we went on a land vacation instead, and now their pricing has gone SO ala carte it has kind of turned me off.

• Love 1

Actually I like Dr. Laura and used to listen to her regularly. She often stated that while she did work, she arranged her hours so she could be home with her son, which was her priority. She never really advocated NOT working outside the home. Her belief is that if you have a child, that child's well being should be your main concern. For some people this would be an issue. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to set their own hours, of course. This is why I think some people who are intensely career driven and choose not to have kids should not be criticized for it. They have it right. That's what choice is all about. She did make the point that some women who would like to stay home with their kids said they could not do so for financial reasons. I think she pointed out that when one counted in day care, transportation, lunches, and all the other things associated with a job, sometimes the money you made was really almost a break even deal. To the best of my knowledge she did not excoriate single moms who had to work. She advocated being a good judge of whom you were going to marry (marry in haste, repent in leisure), and having safe sex so that you didn't end up with an unwanted pregnancy. I can support that. I'm a bit to the right, in case you haven't figured it out, but I respect other opinions.

Of course your mileage will vary. I listen to her on Sirius regularly because I just can't believe people call her and the way she talks to them. She does excoriate single

Mothers for things they can't change. Why did you have children to abandon them? Children need a mommy and a daddy. If the child is young enough she recommends the single mother put them up for adoption. Listen to her now. Every once in a while she says something sensible but not before being very ugly and condescending to the caller.

• Love 3

I would do Halifax to St. Johns in a heartbeat.  The only problem would be making me go home.

Edited by latetotheparty
  • Love 2

The Titanic wreck was first found when I was a child and I binge watched all of the National Geographic specials on it. Now, I'm afraid of being on a ship in deep ocean water. As a kid, we went on cruises to Alaska and Hawaii (Princess cruise line, I think) and I remember having so much fun. Now as an adult, the thought of being on a huge ship in the middle of the deep ocean totally terrifies me. I think I could do a river cruise, if I could see the shore (I'm a swimmer, seeing the shore makes me think I have a shot if the ship goes down, lol), but any ocean cruise where I can't see land is out.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2

The Canadian cruise does sound really appealing as well...Do any of the ones which stop in Boston leave from there? (yeah, I know, Google is my friend...) Because Boston is about one and a half hours of a drive for us, so that could actually be reasonably convenient.

• Love 1

The Canadian cruise does sound really appealing as well...Do any of the ones which stop in Boston leave from there? (yeah, I know, Google is my friend...) Because Boston is about one and a half hours of a drive for us, so that could actually be reasonably convenient.

I take the 7 days new england cruise out of new york.  

• Love 1

Might I recommend Jill Rodrigues's excellent hair & makeup tutorial? You can do your hair & makeup along with her as she explains.

This is comedy gold. It's gold, Jerry, gold! I will purpose to achieve Jill Rodrigues' wounded raccoon look for Halloween. I have to remember not to use my "beauty for whoredom".  

• Love 7

This is comedy gold. It's gold, Jerry, gold! I will purpose to achieve Jill Rodrigues' wounded raccoon look for Halloween. I have to remember not to use my "beauty for whoredom".

I know what is wrong with these women. I do. They have no self awareness. They live in a fantasy land where "god" takes care of them, where all it takes to hold a husband is piles of makeup and a "good" perm. They are not vain because they are honoring their husbands by the way they look............... They are delusional.

• Love 2

Actually I like Dr. Laura and used to listen to her regularly.  She often stated that while she did work, she arranged her hours so she could be home with her son, which was her priority.  She never really advocated NOT working outside the home.  Her belief is that if you have a child, that child's well being should be your main concern.   For some people this would be an issue.  Not everyone has the luxury of being able to set their own hours, of course.  This is why I think some people who are intensely career driven and choose not to have kids should not be criticized for it.  They have it right.  That's what choice is all about.  She did make the point that some women who would like to stay home with their kids said they could not do so for financial reasons.  I think she pointed out that when one counted in day care, transportation, lunches, and all the other things associated with a job, sometimes the money you made was really almost a break even deal.  To the best of my knowledge she did not excoriate single moms who had to work.  She advocated being a good judge of whom you were going to marry (marry in haste, repent in leisure), and having safe sex so that you didn't end up with an unwanted pregnancy.  I can support that.  I'm a bit to the right, in case you haven't figured it out, but I respect other opinions.

Several years ago I worked out of town one day a week and I listened to Dr. Laura faithfully on my drive home. Later, I felt she got somewhat political. I didn't really like that, but that job disappeared about that time so I simply stopped listening to her. 

Norwegian and Royal Caribbean both cruise out of Boston.  I love Norwegian.  I've never been on Royal Caribbean.

How fundies celebrate Halloween. (not really but it's an insight)

http://hahasforhoohas.com/stories/what-its-celebrate-halloween-ultra-conservative-christian-home

"But they absolutely, positively canNOT celebrate Satan. I mean, I had to put my foot down somewhere, right?"

Oh honey, I'm a non-practicing cultural Catholic/practicing pagan, we don't celebrate Satan.  No one's celebrating Satan, except for people who think Alistair Crowley was cool and those weird Goth kids who work at Cinn-A-Bon.

Seriously though, the line about combing the grass of their front lawn for wayward candy was actually really, really depressing, even more so about the part about the Bible tracts.

• Love 3

Norwegian and Royal Caribbean both cruise out of Boston.  I love Norwegian.  I've never been on Royal Caribbean.

I love Norwegian also went on the Gem out of New York.  The New England crusies is on Carinval great casino, lousy food ,but with a suite you get vip check in

• Love 2

CRUISING.....we love it. We have cruised with Carnival, RCL and Princess. Our favorite cruise is the beautiful Alaskan inside passage. It is much cooler than the Carribbean and Mexican cruises, but if you want to lay in the sun, it might not be the cruise for you. But the views, glaciers, and wildlife are awesome. And once you are inside the passage, the water is flat.

We do need to take meclizine (used to wear the patch) even on the large ships, but that is no big deal. Cruising is a really good value if you don't need the upscale cabins. We like the big cruise ships that offer many choices of food and entertainment. We really enjoy dancing (duh) in the lounges at night and I love the Broadway shows. For some reason I always feel completely safe on a cruise ship, but if you are worried, an itinerary that hugs a coastline would probably be the most comfortable for a newbie.

My understanding is the entertainers onboard have the best jobs. Several shows a night, maybe helping with a passenger event during the day, rehearsals, then freedom the rest of the time. We see them in the lounges having fun after hours. Very much easier than the poor waiters and stewards who are ALWAYS working.

• Love 5

Of course your mileage will vary. I listen to her on Sirius regularly because I just can't believe people call her and the way she talks to them. She does excoriate single

Mothers for things they can't change. Why did you have children to abandon them? Children need a mommy and a daddy. If the child is young enough she recommends the single mother put them up for adoption. Listen to her now. Every once in a while she says something sensible but not before being very ugly and condescending to the caller.

Well, if you are a single mom whose hubby runs off that cannot be blamed on you.  You must do what you can do.  But if you choose to have kids with a slime ball or out of wedlock then it is better to choose not to have those kids.  There are good reasons for having children and poor ones (some one will finally love me unconditionally for myself).  As a mom of 2 (and every single other mother out there will agree I believe) I can attest to the fact that having kids is long hard work.  And having a partner to share the tribulations, work, and joy is a tremendous benefit.  Doesn't mean a single mom can't do it, but why would you choose to do it...probably because you have no idea what a difficult job good parenting is. I am not speaking about wealthy movie stars and personalities, but regular folks.  I used to joke that my husband and I wanted to really be farmers...live off the land, work for yourself, etc.  Then I would add, we aren't farmers because we really have no idea how difficult that life can be.  But yes, Dr. Laura can be harsh sometimes.  Don't like her?  Turn the dial.

On another topic, do the people who snark on this forum (I include myself) dislike Fundamentalists in general or just those who claim their way of life is the only right one?  I have Fundie cousins in the South and I love them to pieces.  They are good people.  We do not agree on some things, but we are always cordial and loving to each other.  I don't think you can paint all conservative fundamentalists with the same brush.  They are entitled to their beliefs no matter how much we might disagree with them.

• Love 1

CRUISING.....we love it. We have cruised with Carnival, RCL and Princess. Our favorite cruise is the beautiful Alaskan inside passage. It is much cooler than the Carribbean and Mexican cruises, but if you want to lay in the sun, it might not be the cruise for you. But the views, glaciers, and wildlife are awesome. And once you are inside the passage, the water is flat.

We do need to take meclizine (used to wear the patch) even on the large ships, but that is no big deal. Cruising is a really good value if you don't need the upscale cabins. We like the big cruise ships that offer many choices of food and entertainment. We really enjoy dancing (duh) in the lounges at night and I love the Broadway shows. For some reason I always feel completely safe on a cruise ship, but if you are worried, an itinerary that hugs a coastline would probably be the most comfortable for a newbie.

My understanding is the entertainers onboard have the best jobs. Several shows a night, maybe helping with a passenger event during the day, rehearsals, then freedom the rest of the time. We see them in the lounges having fun after hours. Very much easier than the poor waiters and stewards who are ALWAYS working.

Now i want to go on an Alaskan cruise. 

• Love 2

I love Norwegian also went on the Gem out of New York.  The New England crusies is on Carinval great casino, lousy food ,but with a suite you get vip check in

I went on the Gem out of NYC during her inaugural season!  I heart that ship.  It has a real Monet behind the Customer Service desk, just ask them and they'll tell you all about it.

I did the CCL Liberty out of NYC to Canada in 2005, and yes, great casino.  I remember the food being better, but that was before the menu "upgrades".  

Fun fact:  In case of an emergency in which one must abandon ship, the performers are the folks who handle the loading and operation of the life boats.  

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 2

I went on the Gem out of NYC during her inaugural season!  I heart that ship.  It has a real Monet behind the Customer Service desk, just ask them and they'll tell you all about it.

I did the CCL Liberty out of NYC to Canada in 2005, and yes, great casino.  I remember the food being better, but that was before the menu "upgrades".  

Fun fact:  In case of an emergency in which one must abandon ship, the performers are the folks who handle the loading and operation of the life boats.  

i just read that in a cruise book series by Joshua Kisner .  

And having a partner to share the tribulations, work, and joy is a tremendous benefit.  Doesn't mean a single mom can't do it, but why would you choose to do it...probably because you have no idea what a difficult job good parenting is. 

I don't know that it's necessarily better to choose not to have kids if you're going to choose to be a single parent. I think it all depends on the person making that choice. My boss chose to have a child as a single parent purely for the fact that she was hitting her mid-forties and hadn't found anyone to share the burdens and joys with. But she had wanted a baby for as long as she could remember so she used artificial means to get pregnant and have a child. She's a good parent, surrounded by friends and family, and her daughter is happy and loved, which to me is what matters most. But something DOES have to give and it can be difficult as a team member when she needs to leave at 3 many days. I just don't think there's one RIGHT way to go about having and raising a family.

• Love 15

I wouldn't discourage her at all.  It's apparently a great way for people with BFAs to make a living.  Depending on the line, the productions are usually pretty well done (only saw one truly terrible one and it was on Norwegian who has since upgraded).  Yeah, the crew accommodations are super tight, but if she's an easy-going person who likes to travel, it could be the experience of a lifetime.

Believe it or not, I have a Twitter friend that's young enough to be my daughter who works for Disney Cruise Lines and travels the world. I don't think she's an entertainer and probably works long hours, but she's enjoyed it enough to keep working for them. It's always interesting to read her Tweets about where she's at. I know she's home right now so maybe I should Tweet her and ask how to get a job, hm? ;-)

First-time cruiser advice: Do you get seasick? Even if you think you won't, you might want to invest in anti-seasickness remedies like the patches, sea bands, whatever before you leave. I spent a bunch of time on pleasure boats before we went on a cruise. The travel agent assured me that "nobody" gets seasick on a cruise. Uh, NOT TRUE. (Especially when the ship is bobbing around in a storm.) Protect your investment.

Imagine the entertainment on the Duggar cruise. "Live! From Guatemala! Interpretive dance with derickdillardduggar, Jill Duggar, and special guest Israel Duggar!" Plus, all the tater tot casserole one can eat!

• Love 4

Probably not actually sent to Dr Laura, but every time she comes up I think of this list:

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

• Love 14

Probably not actually sent to Dr Laura, but every time she comes up I think of this list:

Love it! For anyone interested there is a great documentary entitled "For the Bible tells me so" where religious scholars talk about homosexuality and the bible. Also Dr Laura still thinks homosexuality is a psychological disorder. It has been listed in the DSM as a disorder since 1973. Honestly I'm surprised to hear that she still has a radio show I thought she went off the air years ago.

ETA I don't have Sirius so maybe that's why.

Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 4

This is the Patch or is there something new my last crusie was in 2013

On another topic, do the people who snark on this forum (I include myself) dislike Fundamentalists in general or just those who claim their way of life is the only right one?  I have Fundie cousins in the South and I love them to pieces.  They are good people.  We do not agree on some things, but we are always cordial and loving to each other.  I don't think you can paint all conservative fundamentalists with the same brush.  They are entitled to their beliefs no matter how much we might disagree with them.

I have no problem with fundamentalists, or any other religious groups, as long as they do not aggressively try to change others or harm others who do not share their beliefs. The Duggars bug me especially because they act so sweet and loving on TV, but are so hateful to anyone not just like them in real life. They are hypocrites and grifters, which I don't respect at all. I actually really love that we are a country of many religions, including no religion.

• Love 11

This is the Patch or is there something new my last crusie was in 2013

Meclizine, Bonine, Dramamine are all anti-seasick pills. We take two meclizine each day of a cruise and it works perfectly. We used to use the patch (Scopolomine) but the last few times we found they are too drying on our eyes and mouth, so we have now switched to just pills. You also need a prescription for the patch, but not the pills. If you have no side effects from the patch, the good thing is they last three days and are very effective. Happy cruising!

Meclizine, Bonine, Dramamine are all anti-seasick pills. We take two meclizine each day of a cruise and it works perfectly. We used to use the patch (Scopolomine) but the last few times we found they are too drying on our eyes and mouth, so we have now switched to just pills. You also need a prescription for the patch, but not the pills. If you have no side effects from the patch, the good thing is they last three days and are very effective. Happy cruising!

The Patch puts me in a fog.  I will try the pills if and when we cruise again.  thank you

• Love 2

I have no problem with fundamentalists, or any other religious groups, as long as they do not aggressively try to change others or harm others who do not share their beliefs. The Duggars bug me especially because they act so sweet and loving on TV, but are so hateful to anyone not just like them in real life. They are hypocrites and grifters, which I don't respect at all. I actually really love that we are a country of many religions, including no religion.

I dislike the Duggars for their self-righteousness and intolerance, but I dislike those qualities in pretty much anyone, regardless of their beliefs. I actually have a friend with whom I am pretty much in alignment politically and in other ways. But she can get very strident and vocal about others who don't do or see things her way, even to stating that certain religions shouldn't be allowed (for example, Gothardism, because of the sexism, etc. ). She can reach Limbaughesque levels of ranting. While I can understand her outrage about a lot of things, for me it's kind of the flip side of acting like the people she hates. Freedom means that other people are free to do and believe things that piss me off. Unfortunately! LOL.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 8

I took one traditional cruise on princess about 20 years ago.  We did the inside passage (Alaska).  I had a great time, but my friend and I were definitely the youngest people on the ship.  At that point, the entertainment was aimed at people older than us, so we skipped most of it.  However, the scenery was incredible.  It is an easy way to get to places that are otherwise very hard to see.  And we enjoyed all of our shore excursions.  Neither of us had any problems with seasickness.  Most of the time we were in the passage where the waters tend to be calm.

More recently I have taken a river cruise on the Amazon.  The ship held 24 passengers.  I had a great time.  We slowly worked our way down the Amazon, stopping at small villages along the way.  The food was good, not great.  The crew was wonderful.  I still exchange music with one of the guys. 

I also took a small ship cruise to Panama and Costa Rica.  We toured the small islands of Panama and went through the canal.  Seeing the canal on a smaller ship was really special.  We talked to the crew that comes on board to take the ship through.  We were in the locks on one end with two small sail boats.  On the other end, we shared the lock with a banana boat, which led to a group of us singing various banana-related songs.  We saw one of the really large cruise ships.  It barely fit into the lock on its own.  It seemed like such a different experience.  Being with a smaller group made it easier to interact with people on shore rather than feeling like we were gawking.  There were still some culturally uncomfortable moments in which I felt the local people were being prompted to perform for us. 

My favorite cruise was to Antarctica.  This was on what they call an expedition or explorer ship.  The ship wasn’t fancy.  The hull is reinforced.  There is no casino and there is only one restaurant.  We had people from more than 80 countries.  Pretty amazing given that there were only 110 passengers.  We left from Ushuaia Argentina and crossed the Drake Passage.  We hit a major storm.  At one point we were at a more than 45 degree pitch.  The ship actually has a series of handholds in all of the corridors so you can move from one to the next to get down the hall.  There is also a strap from the wall to the bed to keep you from falling out of your bunk.  They actually offer you meds on the ship which I took.  Never needed them on other trips.  We did have a lot of people get sick during the storm.  One of the large cruise ships was also caught in the storm.  They had so many people injured they had to turn around without making it to Antarctica.  The advantage to the small ship was we were better prepared for the storm and the ship is designed to weather it.  Also there was such a sense of adventure among the travelers.  They ranged in age from mid-20s to upper 80s.  And we really got a sense of how hard it must have been for the original explorers to go to Antarctica. 

I have friends who really enjoy the traditional cruises.  While I had a good time in Alaska, I am more of a small ship or other forms of travel person.  I will say the big cruises do give you a chance to purely relax on vacation.  There are times when that sounds like heaven.

• Love 7

Hubby is military, so the only cruises he goes on are aboard Navy ships. He has mentioned European cruises many many years in the future when the boys are grown and on their own. The Disney cruises look like fun, but I can't see him agreeing to a cruise for a vacation at this point in our lives.

• Love 3

I just want to go on vacation. No, I am not asking for money lol. It will be a long time since my roomie is so sick with chemo. Ugh.

My daughter's birthday is coming up. She would have been 41. I really don't know how to mark the f**king day.

Yeah, I am bummed. Rough day at hospital. Her next inpatient chemo will last 21 days. OMG.

• Love 7

I dislike the Duggars for their self-righteousness and intolerance, but I dislike those qualities in pretty much anyone, regardless of their beliefs. I actually have a friend with whom I am pretty much in alignment politically and in other ways. But she can get very strident and vocal about others who don't do or see things her way, even to stating that certain religions shouldn't be allowed (for example, Gothardism, because of the sexism, etc. ). She can reach Limbaughesque levels of ranting. While I can understand her outrage about a lot of things, for me it's kind of the flip side of acting like the people she hates. Freedom means that other people are free to do and believe things that piss me off. Unfortunately! LOL.

Totally agree. Freedom of speech and thought means that YOU get to think and, for the most part, say whatever you want. But so do all those folks who diametrically disagree with you. Or as Bill Maher said, "The other guy has every right to be an a** hole if that's what he wants..." LOL. Bill Maher for President! 

• Love 5

No I don't dislike anyone based solely on their belief system. I do even wholly dislike the Duggars. I dislike a lot of their ways, and disagree with much of what they say & do. I think the Duggar family is peculiarly interesting. They make me shake my head, swear, laugh and think.  But hate them? Nope. Hate anyone because of their religion? Nope again.

One good think about the Duggars - they lead me to this forum.

I just want to go on vacation. No, I am not asking for money lol. It will be a long time since my roomie is so sick with chemo. Ugh.

My daughter's birthday is coming up. She would have been 41. I really don't know how to mark the f**king day.

Yeah, I am bummed. Rough day at hospital. Her next inpatient chemo will last 21 days. OMG.

Sorry Jelly {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

• Love 7