Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Sisters of Mercy

Zombie Bear for the win !!!!

Who would have guessed that the partially-zombified dirty hobo look was someone's type, let alone a hot blonde with big boobs who I'll just call Blondie since I don't think she was given a name in the episode ? Because Murphy gets a taste of Blondie's pie (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more) and tapped some ass.   The way Blondie was rubbing her stomach, is she pregnant from Murphy's partially-zombified sperm ?

The Sisters of Mercy are a crazy Mormon anti-man cult (what with the sister-wives and all). I think I remember something like this from an old episode of 'The Outer Limits'.

Helen has her indoctrination techniques well practiced and worked like a charm on Addie.  Some sweet-talking, some hugs, learning her recruitment target's background and using that to get her way to join -- and in this case in particular to kill a guy in cold blood (Addie should be PTSDing about that).

Enough with Addie's post-traumatic cannibal cult and mommy-killing issues.  Murphy was right a few episodes back -- everyone has PTSD, get over it already.  And how did Helen pry that necklace off of Addie's neck ?

Mack gets shot and then bails from a moving truck, gets up and goes back for more and we heard gunshots ring out -- so is he dead now ?  Is this a two part episode and the group goes back to rescue Mack/Addie or is that the last we see of them -- because

the description for the next episode doesn't even reference the Sisters of Mercy, and if that's the case it's kind of a crappy way for Mack/Addie to leave the series ?  And boy is Citizen Z going to be disappointed that Addie is no longer with the group

?

I'm still disappointed that 'This Corrosion' was not playing somewhere in the background. Hey now, Hey now now indeed.

On a completely superficial note, Roberta's boobs are huge in that tight pink shirt.  Wow !!

ETA: Found the Outer Limits episode this Sisters of Mercy commune reminded me of -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithia_(The_Outer_Limits) -- about a post-apocalyptic Earth populated entirely by women.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

Whoa, was that Top Gun/Witness Kelly McGillis?

I know that they're not shy about killing people off in this show but geez, Addy and Mack? Well not confirmed kills but serious losses to the 'family'. I am worried.

Citizen Z is gonna take this hard, lol.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 4

That Woman bypassed Mack and 10 k to hook up with Murphy and seemed more excited when discovering his zombie bites.

Disturbing.

I still don't know what happened to the original men and those boys grow up in a culture that spends a lot of time going on about men being responsible for all the death and destruction in the world.

Addie has gone off the deep end.

• Love 1

What the hell happened to the cheesy show I liked?  For me, this show never recovered after killing off Charlie.

I was over Addie's PTSD angst bullshit a long time ago.  Just give me a show with the ZA adventures of Warren, Doc and 10K (Cassandra can come, too).  Warren can be the head honcho while Doc and 10K slay zombies and bad guys with their sharp wit and bullets, with an occasional sling shot thrown in.  Citizen Z could continue to provide color commentary and maybe even finally give the dog a name.

edited to correct Cassandra's name - with all this angst I thought I was in a low budget version of TWD

Edited by NurseGiGi
  • Love 5

With regards to the Zombie bear, I'm just surprised that is only the 2nd zombie animal we've seen since the zombie dog encountered by Citizen Z at Northern Light in Episode 2.

If the zombie virus can so easily jump species, they should be dodging zombie animals all over the place -- zombie birds, zombie squirrels, zombie rats, zombie cats, and more zombie dogs.

ETA: 

Whoa, was that Top Gun/Witness Kelly McGillis?

I missed that in the credits at the start of the episode, but Kelly McGillis played Helen the cult leader -- I wouldn't have guessed that was Kelly McGillis in a million years.  The weird thing is that it isn't even listed on her IMDB page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000534/

Just give me a show with the ZA adventures of Warren, Doc and 10K (Cassandra can come, too).  Warren can be the head honcho while Doc and 10K slay zombies and bad guys with their sharp wit and bullets, with an occasional sling shot thrown in.  Citizen Z could continue to provide color commentary and maybe even finally give the dog a name.

I'd watch that.  But the dog needs a name -- come on Citizen Z, what are you waiting for ?

What a sad ep! Those were two of my other fav two chars!

That seemed weird that Mack/Addie went missing for a couple of episodes only to finally get a dream sequence episode all to themselves -- just to be removed from the show completely one episode later.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I won't miss Addie all that much because I got tired of her PTSD storyline.  I hope she's happy with the sister wives.  It would be nice if the group finds Mack along the road, wounded.  However, if he's gone, I won't miss him either.   

Roberta's boobs did look huge in that pink t-shirt. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

ottodbusdriver I also looked her up on her IMDB page and since this episode wasn't listed I started wondering if maybe she has a sister who is an actress.  I recently saw her in a movie called Stakeland and she looked completely different.  I guess it's possible, though, since Stakeland was released in 2010.

ottodbusdriver I also looked her up on her IMDB page and since this episode wasn't listed I started wondering if maybe she has a sister who is an actress.  I recently saw her in a movie called Stakeland and she looked completely different.  I guess it's possible, though, since Stakeland was released in 2010.

There is a fairly recent photo of her on Wikipedia from 2010 -- I'd say that's her.  But it looks like she was put on a lot of weight since that photo, especially around her neck and cheeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_McGillis

Here's a link to a more recent photo from the 2014 Winter Television Critics Association tour -- and she looks a lot more like she did in this episode.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Kelly+McGillis

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

So is Addie dead? If not, how did the little girl get her butterfly necklace? If Addie's dead, at least I wont have to hear any more about the trauma of killing her mom. That was getting old fast.   So the group missed the kid getting kicked out of the camp again? I thought they might add a new character since they just lost two.

• Love 2

I missed that in the credits at the start of the episode, but Kelly McGillis played Helen the cult leader -- I wouldn't have guessed that was Kelly McGillis in a million years.  The weird thing is that it isn't even listed on her IMDB page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000534/

Wow, I never would have guessed that, either! Helen reminded me of Louis Fletcher, if anyone.

That seemed weird that Mack/Addie went missing for a couple of episodes only to finally get a dream sequence episode all to themselves -- just to be removed from the show completely one episode later.

I know, right? What the hell, people? Maybe Addie will come to her senses and run away and rejoin with Mack as part of a season finally?

So is Addie dead? If not, how did the little girl get her butterfly necklace? If Addie's dead, at least I wont have to hear any more about the trauma of killing her mom. That was getting old fast.   So the group missed the kid getting kicked out of the camp again? I thought they might add a new character since they just lost two.

Didn't they promise to take him to Vegas?

Didn't they promise to take him to Vegas?

Roberta promised the kid that they would drive him to Salt Lake City so he could meet up with his dad -- if he showed them where the Sisters of Mercy compound was located.

But once the group figured out that the "dad-in-Salt-Lake-City" idea was just a con to get the men out of the compound when they turned 13, it was basically forgotten.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

With regards to the Zombie bear, I'm just surprised that is only the 2nd zombie animal we've seen since the zombie dog encountered by Citizen Z at Northern Light in Episode 2.

If the zombie virus can so easily jump species, they should be dodging zombie animals all over the place -- zombie birds, zombie squirrels, zombie rats, zombie cats, and more zombie dogs.

Yeah, I'd think zombie rats would have "inherited the earth" by now.

Mack could have been saved if the child-safety locks had been engaged on the vehicle. A lesson for all of us.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Especially considering the whole predator/prey relationship amongst animals. A fox kills a rabbit, which immediately reanimates and bites him, so now we have a zombie fox who might later attack a wolf who then goes after other animals. It's a never-ending process. Once animals are infected, we're toast!

So is Addie dead? If not, how did the little girl get her butterfly necklace? If Addie's dead, at least I wont have to hear any more about the trauma of killing her mom.

Maybe that was a future shot of Addie and Mack's kid; she was pregnant when she left, which is why she was being especially crazy. With the end shot of the pregnancy for that other woman, maybe it was skewed foreshadowing.

• Love 1

Well, the boy kid situation is problematic, but otherwise I'm down with The Womyn's Justice League of Zombie America, seeking out and punishing rapists and wife beaters.  What's your 501©(3) status, ladies? 

• Love 2

"Maybe that was a future shot of Addie and Mack's kid; she was pregnant when she left, which is why she was being especially crazy. With the end shot of the pregnancy for that other woman, maybe it was skewed foreshadowing. Maybe that was a future shot of Addie and Mack's kid; she was pregnant when she left, which is why she was being especially crazy. With the end shot of the pregnancy for that other woman, maybe it was skewed foreshadowing."

Except it was the girl that Addie was playing with when she first came into the camp.

• Love 3

I'm guessing Addy was killed and that's why that little girl had her necklace. It seems the women killed Mack when he came back and I can't see Addy being too happy with that, even with the brainwashing. I'm sad they're gone.

That was an intriguing  community. It really seemed to be working fine, the women looked happy and safe. But conning the boys over 13 into leaving was harsh and something I can't really see happening so easily. I mean, what about their mothers? And while I don't care about rapists or wife beaters, especially in a world where regular justice doesn't exist anymore, the way to kill them says more about you than it says about them. 

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 4

Best part of the entire episode was the expression on the face of the pre-teen boy when the girls/women were reciting their pledge (in the zombie bear scene).  The kid had a look on his face like he just realized he had a penis.  My boyfriend and I rewound that scene at least 5 times and just laughed our asses off!

It seems pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Mack is dead.  Seeing Abby's locket with the little girl makes me think she MIGHT be dead.  I thought she was going to change her mind when she saw Mack get shot at the gate....thought that would shock her out of brainwashed PTSD mode, but it didn't.  I'd like to think that, when she witnessed psycho sister wives killing her supposed great love, she attacked and tried to save him and that got her killed.  If we find out she is still alive, I am going to be very disappointed in her. 

This show isn't shy about killing off "main" cast members.  I wonder if each season will be a new group of people trying to get Murphy to California.

• Love 3

Except it was the girl that Addie was playing with when she first came into the camp.

Shows you how much attention I was paying to the episode! Then my vote is she's dead. The zombie bear got her.

Maybe that was a future shot of Addie and Mack's kid; she was pregnant when she left, which is why she was being especially crazy. With the end shot of the pregnancy for that other woman, maybe it was skewed foreshadowing.

As someone said, Addie met that little girl. When did they say or show Addie was pregnant?

This show isn't shy about killing off "main" cast members.  I wonder if each season will be a new group of people trying to get Murphy to California.

What's the point? They're only one or two states away from California. Apparently some, meaning a LOT, of time had passed between ND and this ep.

What's the point? They're only one or two states away from California. Apparently some, meaning a LOT, of time had passed between ND and this ep.

Which is weird because Mack/Addie were already in Utah two episodes ago -- did they just sit around and wait for the other group all that time.  It's almost like they skipped an episode between the shenanigans in South Dakota, where they ended the episode driving away on a golf cart with a bunch of liquor, and then all of a sudden had a truck and the ability to communicate with Citizen Z again.

I'm even more curious how Mack/Addie ended up connecting with Citizen Z since all they had with them were their weapons and a motorcycle -- which has also disappeared.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Who would have guessed that the partially-zombified dirty hobo look was someone's type, let alone a hot blonde with big boobs who I'll just call Blondie since I don't think she was given a name in the episode ? Because Murphy gets a taste of Blondie's pie (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more) and tapped some ass. The way Blondie was rubbing her stomach, is she pregnant from Murphy's partially-zombified sperm?

QFT (quoted for truth). I guess season 2 will be about Alvin Bernard Murphy Jr.? (According to IMDB, blondie's name was Serena.)

Was this the season finale? Or is there one more episode left?

There are two more episodes, "Murphy's Law," then "Doctor of the Dead."

Edited to add the promo for next week. (It doesn't include Addy nor Mack):

http://youtu.be/PXlauKa1P_8

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

It seemed to me that Murphy looked slightly better in this episode, and it looks like he looks even better in the promos, like his coloring is more "human."  Maybe getting laid helped him in more ways than one.

• Love 2

What the hell happened to the cheesy show I liked?  For me, this show never recovered after killing off Charlie.

I was over Addie's PTSD angst bullshit a long time ago.  Just give me a show with the ZA adventures of Warren, Doc and 10K (Cassandra can come, too).  Warren can be the head honcho while Doc and 10K slay zombies and bad guys with their sharp wit and bullets, with an occasional sling shot thrown in.  Citizen Z could continue to provide color commentary and maybe even finally give the dog a name.

edited to correct Cassandra's name - with all this angst I thought I was in a low budget version of TWD

Co-sign this.  If I want angsty, I'll watch TWD.  I guess the pie bit was kind of stupid and funny and gross, but I don't want to see Murphy without his shirt on.  I want to see 10K without his shirt on.  Stupid show!

• Love 1

When the pie woman came over looking for "the one with the hair and those eyes" I thought she was talking about 10K. He has the most sticky-outy hair and the biggest bambi eyes out of the four men in the group. And obviously 10K thought she was going to give him the pie, too. His disappointed face when she just rushed past him was hilarious.

Remember that guy who was bitten by Murphy some episodes back didn't turn into a zombie? I wonder if this, um, "cure" also works on whoever Murphy has sex with.

Well, the boy kid situation is problematic, but otherwise I'm down with The Womyn's Justice League of Zombie America, seeking out and punishing rapists and wife beaters

Amen, sister(-wife)! Aside from sending docile boy children to their deaths, another thing that's a problem is blaming testosterone for violence and destruction and thus being far too certain that absolutely all y-chromosomers can't be influenced not to be violent and destructive by the culture and society around them. Third problem: the overly-complicated Bond villain methods of execution (what's wrong with a quick machete to the brain? Keep it simple, people. That way they don't come back to bite you. I know they want those guys to suffer, but it's not worth the risk.) Fourth problem: the creepy chanting. Fix those and we'd be cooking.

Best part of the entire episode was the expression on the face of the pre-teen boy when the girls/women were reciting their pledge (in the zombie bear scene).  The kid had a look on his face like he just realized he had a penis.

Ha! I had to go back to look for that, and unless I have the wrong part, it was a little bit before the zombie bear, when the new sister just came in and Helen was giving that speech about how "this is our purpose" and everyone repeat "this is our purpose". The camera was shifting focus over to show Addy and Roberta's (hilarious) reaction to the culty chanting, the boy was standing in front of them so the focus was on him for a second.

• Love 2

That was Kelly McGillis?!  I remember her from Top Gun.  I feel old.

The little boy looking nervous during the chanting cracked me up.

Addie's PTSD stuff was getting tiresome, I'm relieved she's gone.  Poor Mack but he should have stayed in the truck and kept driving.

I wonder if we'll get an update on the pie woman's half-zombie baby.

• Love 3

Since this show loves to rip off other shows I'm calling it now.  The half zombie baby will grow faster than the speed of light and be an 18yo next time we see him.

Edited because I meant to type faster than the speed of light, not sound.  I've been shopping for some new ear buds.  Can you tell?

Edited by NurseGiGi
  • Love 4

Between this show and the Walking Dead, I hardly get grossed out by gore.  Okay, I did flinch a little during the scene with the cannibals and their fileting the guy while he's still alive.  However, that pales in comparison to seeing someone lick Murphy's scabbed over zombie bites. 

Edited by maczero
  • Love 3

So was I the only one thinking they were going to open up that tent to see Murphy devouring that girl's corpse?

Speaking of Murphy, can he control zombie animals?

Stealing that bear and keeping him around would have been awesome! Especially if he can ride a unicycle.

Or if they find a zoo the possibilities are endless. Zombie Hippo. Zombie Elephant, Zombie Gorilla with Hat...

Even just a cave full of Zombie Bats would be great.

I'm confused about why there aren't little fly and mosquito zombies all over the place. Maybe with some species it just kills them?

Edited by CletusMusashi

Mack and Addy better not be dead. I like both of them. I get why Addy wants to stay with the Sisters. Their life does seem very nice and peaceful. And every post apocalypse movie/show/book I've ever seen has a group of bad men capturing and then raping/beating/etc women, so I'm totally cool with the ladies being the reaction to that. As for sending away their sons, they're probably already use to it. Getting rid of the teen boys so they don't grow up to be competition is the SOP of most polygamy cults. Helen said her husband set up the compound before the Zombie Apocalypse so they'd probably already been sending the boys away when they hit 13. I was curious about the boy the group found at the beginning. He seemed so calm, almost like he was drugged or something. I wondering if they doped up the boys before they sent them on their way or if they just used manipulation to convince the boys that leaving to find their fathers was sort of their mission from God. 

I liked that both Roberta and Cassandra were immediately like "these bitches are crazy and we need to get out of here." Good for them. And good for Blondie sharing her pie with Murphy. Though I hope her rubbing her stomach at the end wasn't a sign that she's going to have a zombie baby.

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 2

I liked this one because it wasn't all black-and-white good vs. evil. It was understandable how the women felt about men, given that they came from polygamous and/or abusive situations. though the way they killed did seem over the top. (Also, how did the chief bad guy get away from the zombies that he was chained to?) Maybe it was cultish, but they were actually surviving in pretty good circumstances compared with most people out in the zombie apocalypse. It was cruel to send the boys out to die when they hit 13 but, as Rockstar99435 said, this is SOP for polygamy cults and they probably believed that once the testosterone kicked in the boys could be dangerous.  

It was also understandable why Addie wanted to stay there, even though she was conflicted about leaving Mack. I don't think that she was brainwashed so much as allowing herself to believe that she could finally "rest," physically and psychologically. She had been clearly breaking down earlier in the episode (and previous episodes), and I was hoping she could stay there for a while to heal and then maybe meet back up with the group in the future (even though that is not realistic). 

Also, the writers have been leading Mack and Addie to where a breakup was inevitable. Mack started out in the series as a very bland character, but the most recent episodes have made him seem obsessed with Addie, culminating in him physically trying to keep her from going back to the commune. When she said "You're hurting me" it was obvious that this was the end for them, and I was not surprised that he ended up getting killed (as far as we know).

The part I really didn't like was the blond pie girl going nuts over Murphy. I guess it was supposed to be comic relief and also to show that some of the women still had desire for men, but it was unrealistic and disgusting that she would be so attracted to him and his bite wounds. I wonder if the commune would kill her if they knew what she was doing with Murphy. Definitely hope there is no half-zombie baby.