Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

NBC To Shutter TWoP

Wow... at first I was all "meh, I rarely go there anymore" but then I read that they're going to take the site down and that means I can't go back and read old recaps and now I'm sad. Sometimes when I get really into a rewatch I like to go back and read the old recaps from when the show was new. 

• Like 6

Wow... at first I was all "meh, I rarely go there anymore" but then I read that they're going to take the site down and that means I can't go back and read old recaps and now I'm sad. Sometimes when I get really into a rewatch I like to go back and read the old recaps from when the show was new. 

Yeah, not being able to read all the old stuff will suck. I still check up on that stuff every other month.

• Like 2

It's a shame they won't keep the old recaps available.  It was wonderful to be able to go back and read them before seeing the Veronica Mars movie.  Like many others, I would read them for shows I didn't watch because they are just so funny and well written (7th Heaven.)

Tubey is dead.  Long live Tubey!

• Like 3

The loss of information is the worst thing about this. Hopefully something like the Internet Wayback Machine has scanned through it enough times and deep enough that the info will be saved. 
But in good news my Goodwill find in Sarasota just got more valuable!

13451128094_18a9859986_n.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, reading the old recaps as I rewatch shows, or watch shows that have been on my queue forever has been great and that's really going to suck when it goes away.

They didn't even start Breaking Bad recaps until Season 3, and I'm only halfway through Season 2! NOOOOOOOO!

It's a shame they won't keep the old recaps available.  It was wonderful to be able to go back and read them before seeing the Veronica Mars movie.  Like many others, I would read them for shows I didn't watch because they are just so funny and well written (7th Heaven.)

Tubey is dead.  Long live Tubey!

I never watched Veronica Mars when it was on the air, but I wanted to watch a few episodes before going to see the movie, so I bought Season One, watched the first few episodes, and was reading the recaps on TWOP.  It's a shame they won't still be there.

I am pretty annoyed they're not going to keep the archives up. Anytime I debate watching a new show on Netflix I used to always check to see if TWOP had recaps on it. Otherwise it wasn't worth watching...

But to be honest, once the original founders left the quality and humor did go down hill

• Like 1

The original spirit of TWOP is here, so I don't have a lot of concern about the site going defunct, but removing all the content from previous- not cool. For historic purposes alone, the website recaps and forums that caused Aaron Sorkin to basically lose his mind should not be erased!

• Like 2

For historic purposes alone, the website recaps and forums that caused Aaron Sorkin to basically lose his mind should not be erased!

This. My first thought when I heard the news was TWW debacle that literally caused him to write an episode in response to what happened and how that would be gone. It hasn't been the same in recent years but there aren't that many places online where so many shows could be discussed in depth in the same place. I hope a good chunk migrate overhere. 

This. My first thought when I heard the news was TWW debacle that literally caused him to write an episode in response to what happened and how that would be gone. It hasn't been the same in recent years but there aren't that many places online where so many shows could be discussed in depth in the same place. I hope a good chunk migrate overhere. 

I came over here and created account as soon as I heard the news. I'll be sad to see some of the old forum threads go in addition to the recaps.

Hopefully more people migrate here. This place seems pretty quiet thus far.

I've seen the site get name checked in several articles/twitter feeds today, so at least some good might come out of it.

I think some posters are a little scared to jump in and start posting before they get the lay of the land. I certainly have seen lots of people mention that they registered here. 

It also takes awhile to get used to the forum software, keeping in mind that we completely freaked out when TWoP upgraded - and it wasn't even changed all that much. 

And along those lines: I couldn't figure out what people were clicking to "like" something until I realized that I had to uncheck "ignore font styles" to see those buttons.  I mention this for anyone else who's got bad eyes and has tweaked their browser settings to make things easier to read.

• Like 2

It also takes awhile to get used to the forum software, keeping in mind that we completely freaked out when TWoP upgraded - and it wasn't even changed all that much. 

And along those lines: I couldn't figure out what people were clicking to "like" something until I realized that I had to uncheck "ignore font styles" to see those buttons.  I mention this for anyone else who's got bad eyes and has tweaked their browser settings to make things easier to read.

random chance, where is "ignore font styles"?

Sometimes, when I'm bored, I go back and read a thread(usually from the Commercials sub forum)from the beginning. It sucks that I won't be able to do that after May 31st. :(

• Like 2

That's good news.

We did contact them to work something out but this is much easier. The idea of importing all that content to a new content management system made me dizzy.

• Like 3

This is really good news for me. I was really not able to comprehend never being able to revisit the old Dawson's Creek recaps or the X-Files and ER. And Pamie's Gilmore Girls recaps from the beginning! Gah! So much great writing, it would really suck to have it lost. Hell I use the recap main pages as reference OFTEN to just remember which episode I'm thinking of. It's a great resource.

I was seriously having a Toy Story 3 facing-the-incinerator moment this week, especially when I reminisced by reading the Rex the Wonder Preemie ER recap. I'm glad the recaps stay up!

• Like 1

This makes me so happy. Hell, a big part of the reason why I bothered watching 7th Heaven during my college years (1999-2004, to give you a reference) was because those particular recaps were so side-splittingly hilarious! I did stop watching after awhile, though, because the show was bad on a level that was so bad, it was unwatchable most of the time (at least without me shouting at the TV). I hadn't read the recaps of the last season, so I've been reading the series finale recap today off and on and laughing my ass off. Glad that the archives will still be up, so I can go through them and read ones I haven't read yet, as well as re-reading older ones I haven't read in years.

• Like 1

Hearing about the shut down of TWOP made me pull out my physical copy of the book written by Tara Ariano and Sarah D. Bunting last night. I feel like a second edition of this is in order - so much has happened since it was originally published!

• Like 1

Here's my theory. I have no special insider knowledge beyond what I'll lay out here.

NBC has been trying to sell the site for a while (long while) now but no takers. When they announced it was closing, parties inquired about buying the assets (whole or in part).

We did reach out when they said the recaps were going to be put on Zip disks in a boiler room next to a bucket catching water from a rusty pipe. We offered to buy them back. Other people did too as Re/code wrote.

If they were to take the recaps offline it would reduce the value significantly because the SEO juice would be lost and Google searches wouldn't show recaps in results if they were brought back later, not with the same high ranking anyways.

So my theory is someone is buying up the content assets and they are keeping up the site up during negotiations to preserve value.

We're out of the process, it wasn't a business decision for us, we just didn't want to see all that work go away.

• Like 6

Come for the cogent theory, stay for

the recaps were going to be put on Zip disks in a boiler room next to a bucket catching water from a rusty pipe

this imagery.

• Like 5

The original spirit of TWOP is here, so I don't have a lot of concern about the site going defunct, but removing all the content from previous- not cool. For historic purposes alone, the website recaps and forums that caused Aaron Sorkin to basically lose his mind should not be erased!

Or when it was name checked on My Name is Earl.  I still have the email "Joy" sent to me when I emailed WhoJackie (which was being run by Joy since WhoJackie had died).  

Edited by HistoryGirl

Yayyyyyy for the recaps at TWoP remaining up for all to enjoy!!

That said, one thing I have found is that a lot of members here are copying/pasting their show/forum posts from here over at TWoP.  Even though the days for the discussion board there are numbered, I find it frustrating when I do go ever there to read, I'm encountering a lot of the same comments that I've read here mingled with those few made by TWoPpers that haven't migrated to PTV.

Am I the only one who finds the repetitiveness of this a bit tedious?  Hopefully this doesn't sound bitchy, but it's something that's gotten under my skin since joining PTV. 

When I've posted over there, I've made it a point to provide a link to the PTV forum for the show being discussed in hopes of bringing members from there over here.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Like 1

OriginalCyn--The mods and Our Benevolent Overlord Dave have been discussing this issue.  We've come to the same conclusion Joe did above, that the problem will fix itself in a few more weeks.  So try to stay strong until then.  Thanks.

• Like 2

And now the forums are gone.  The cross-posting may end, but the references won't.

It's 2am on the East coast, I have to be on a stage ready to sing in approximately seven hours, but I'm still up looking for a place to post a sigh or two about how 6.5 years of my life just disappeared off the face of the planet 90 minutes ago. I signed on here when the news first broke (needed some place to discuss S.H.I.E.L.D. and Arrow), but still...

This is gonna take some getting used to.

• Like 5

While it'll be impossible to know what the actual last post was on TWOP, here's the last one I saw in the goodbye thread shortly before the forum it went kablooey (time stamp is Central Standard).

2071hd3.jpg

They were coming in pretty quick towards the end, so it's quite possible that a few managed to sneak in after this one. That said, I'm quite okay with the forums going out on a Simpsons joke.

Edited by alynch
  • Like 3

While it'll be impossible to know what the actual last post was on TWOP, here's the last one I saw in the goodbye thread shortly before the forum it went kablooey.

The last post I saw was at 12:15 am. in the RHoNYC thread.  

uesNYC

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 12:15 AM

Dunzo

+  0

After that, it appeared to have went down and the "temporarily unavailable" message came up.

About 20 minutes after that, this started coming up:

This Community is Unavailable

This community is offline and no longer accessible.

*sigh*

Edited by Persnickety1

I managed to get banned at 12:14 EDT. Why they even bothered doing that is beyond me.

I hope it picks up here now! I may not participate much but I love reading other people's snark.

• Like 2

I managed to get banned at 12:14 EDT. Why they even bothered doing that is beyond me.

Yeah, what the fresh hell was going on with THAT?  It was like a final round of banning people who had been there all day and into the night with the intention of going down with the proverbial ship.  

It was all sorts of crazytown in the last hour or so over there.  

• Like 2