Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Bella

Athena

I'm a fairly intelligent person, but I'm not terribly computer literate. I own one, but have never used one for work. I didn't even think twice about the conceit.

That's part of the problem though. It's entirely reasonable that you're intelligent, but not super computer literate. That's true of plenty of people. But the character in question was specifically a computer programmer. So the notion that he would do that (and that they needed him to for the plot to work) is bad writing. And programmers are not in such short supply that this is some entirely esoteric super small portion of society where 95% of the audience wouldn't know better. At least for me, my objection isn't because I'm a programmer and I caught them being wrong about something very few people would be familiar with. My objection is because it's lazy writing that, while it may be a minority would catch, it's a large minority, too large. For a show about a genius and knowledge of far more esoteric details, to rely on a dumb detail like this is hard for me to suspend disbelief about or rationalize within the context of the story.

• Love 2

Another computer illiterate here with a question -- if you were a computer genius working on a groundbreaking program, why would you download "music" onto your prototype and not use one of the other four million computers at your disposal? 

• Love 8
Also concerned (back to Andrew's stammer) that Andrew had reasons to not want Watson with him in Denmark, a secret life perhaps, maybe involving the CIA (sorry, couldn't help that -- Homeland fan -- but still I wonder what Andrew is up to in Denmark...)

Do you mean to say that you think...something is rotten in the state of Denmark? ;)

But seriously, folks...if my girlfriend were to just up and invite herself on a trip with me at the last minute, I'd probably do a little stammering too. That's not to say Andrew's not up to something, but I'm not concerned about the fact that he and Sherlock stammered. Andrew had good reason - Joan surprised him (and I agree that it was out of character for Joan to do that) - and Sherlock stammers all the time. It's practically a vocal tic.

Besides, the (possible) AI is still functional and there is still another person capable of operating the device.  Is anyone going to warn her that she may be next to die?

Bella is now a murder weapon. After Sherlock is done with her, she goes back into police custody.

I was thinking Sherlock was saying that it would be "reckless" (not sure that's the exact word used) to hug him because he probably wouldn't have a socially-acceptable reaction, not unresolved sexual tension (UST) but just social-awkwardness and social-redrawal; you know, like Clyde ducking his head into his body

Sherlock said it would be a "rash decision", and your take is the same as mine, MaryHedwig. Sherlock isn't a huggy kind of guy.

I thought it was interesting that all through the show it'd say "I don't understand the question.  Can you tell me more?".  But in the last scene when Sherlock asks Bella's opinion on turning in bad guy's brother to force a confession, Bella deviated to "I don't understand the question.  Can I have more information?"  Until then I'd decided that Bella was not an actual AI, but when it asked for more information I started to wonder.  Is that why Sherlock looked so stunned and possibly even worried?

Fwiw, Bella switched up the phrase very early in the show, the first time they talked about love. Interesting that by the end, Sherlock reverted back to calling Bella "her", though, so you could be onto something. Seemed to me he was almost using her to talk to himself, though.

Edited by basil
  • Love 3

I was rewatching the episode and it was Joan who said Copenhagen first, and then Sherlock said Denmark and of course the brillaint Scanda-bloody-navia :)

I really think Sherlock is working hard to earn back Joan's trust and her admitting to wanting to hug him tells me that our Holmes and Watson partnership/friendship is back on track.

I also hope we learn more about Sherlock's mom--in fanfiction for BBC's Sherlock, a lot of fans have made Sherlock's mom French--I'm not too sure why--and I know I'd love it if he got his deductive/observational skills from her.

• Love 1
This is the first episode of Elementary that I turned off midway through. I was completely bored with the mystery,

Interesting, I wonder if it was because the murder was not the focus of the mystery, and not its resolution did nothing to further the plot.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I think there is something shady about Andrew (or I just don't like him).  But I would be surprised if Sherlock is manipulating events.  Even if there is something wrong with Andrew Joan needs to find out for herself.  In my opinion, Andrew and Joan have zero chemistry (but then I thought the same thing with Mycroft and Joan).  

I hope there is some followup to this episode.

• Love 1

<quoye>I thought Sherlock gave himself away when Joan was asking him if he manipulated Andrew's new project - she mentioned only that he was going to Scandinavia and Sherlock said Denmark - but nothing more came of that so I guess I was wrong.</quote><br /><br />Andrew met his new business partner through Sherlock, so it makes sense that Sherlock knew the guy was based in Denmark. <br /><br />As for the ending: When Sherlock acted surprised at the end I figured it was because Bella's response gave him a new idea on how to crack the case. Not because she'd proven her sentience.

• Love 4

I think the writers/directors are making it look like there is something wrong with Andrew on purpose. But I'm not sure if it is misdirection. He definitely seemed less than pleased, even alarmed that Joan invited herself on his trip. I'm actually enjoying the way they are slowly reeling out that story.

As far as the science and logic of the main plot, I'll give them a pass. They haven't gone out of their way to be realistic in previous episodes and I'm still watching. It's a little late for me to demand that they start making sense now.

• Love 1

I'm not that worried about Andrew yet, at least not his possible shadiness. Some people don't take to surprises/spontaneity well.  He came around pretty quickly.  I am worried about his longevity, though, given cannon and how TV works, in general.

• Love 1

Another computer illiterate here with a question -- if you were a computer genius working on a groundbreaking program, why would you download "music" onto your prototype and not use one of the other four million computers at your disposal?

Exactly. They made such a big deal about Bella not being hooked up to any network. If they wanted a virus to be the culprit, and they wanted the victim to inadvertently plant the virus, they needed to have an infected peripheral, like the monitor or keyboard. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
Love that Joan and Sherlock have joint custody of Clyde, so cute.

I hoping that Kitty is put on the same joint custody plan.  She could use the fresh air and, I bet, more balanced meals she would receive with a regular respite at Joan's house.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

Regarding the reckless comment, I think he was just making a joke to lighten the atmosphere.  Sincere, sweet emotions between them is something to be avoided, generally.  The bee naming was the notable exception. 

I would not hold it against the writers if Holmes and Watson hooked up however.  I know they wanted to show that a man and woman can have a working relationship, blah blah blah.  But the chemistry is good.  They're older so no babies.  I really have no problem with a romantically involved Holmes and Watson.  In canon they're together until the end.  Why not?  So long as it doesn't take over the entire show which I think they can manage. 

• Love 1

Regarding the reckless comment, I think he was just making a joke to lighten the atmosphere.  Sincere, sweet emotions between them is something to be avoided, generally.  The bee naming was the notable exception. 

I would not hold it against the writers if Holmes and Watson hooked up however.  I know they wanted to show that a man and woman can have a working relationship, blah blah blah.  But the chemistry is good.  They're older so no babies.  I really have no problem with a romantically involved Holmes and Watson.  In canon they're together until the end.  Why not?  So long as it doesn't take over the entire show which I think they can manage. 

Noooooo!  Gah!  Keep it platonic! If they ever hook up romantically, it will be a last ditch attempt to save a failing series.  And they're far from being there yet.

( I will confess, though, that as far as the canonical Holmes and Watson go . . .well, let's just say my opinion on the nature of their relationship is a little unpopular with traditionalists.  And, actually, they weren't together until the end in canon.  They sort of split up when Holmes retires to keep bees.)

• Love 2

And while this is NOT a romance, this is the most romantic sort of platonic relationship since Scully & Mulder.

Ding ding ding!!! No wonder I like Elementary. Huge X-Phile here. Really loved that scene in the kitchen and Joan's delivery of "I kind of want to hug you right now."

I am also highly enjoying all the nerdy man-child Irregulars that come offering expertise and Terminator quotes.

I just scanned this thread, so I hope I didn't miss anyone mentioning this. When the "proof" that the thief "deleted" the Bella program from his laptop was the guy dragging the folder to the trash... I LOLed, and loudly. I could have done an entire recap about that, but I liked the episode so I chose to let it slide. But, heeeeee.

That was great! Second only to countless shows that have a character watch a surveillance tape, say "Enhance that part" and suddenly the thing zooms in so close we can see what color eyeshadow the woman is wearing in perfect HD. Classic. I wish I could remember what show I was watching not too long ago in which a character actually said, "This video is useless, the resolution is too low to see anything." Almost fell off the couch.

• Love 2

I'd hold it against them.  Maybe I'm being a traditionalist, but if Holmes and Watson hook up, this stops being a Holmesian story and starts being a police procedural with a protagonist who has a lot of quirks and an unusual first name.  (A criticism that's already been made of Elementary.)  

For me, the entire point of Holmes-template shows is that Sherlock Holmes eschews more typical types of human expression in order to focus on the Work.  He doesn't form enduring romantic relationships, and I don't want to ever see any incarnation of Sherlock Holmes do so except as a one-off exception that proves the rule.

• Love 1

If the BBC series ever wants to explore the complexity of male/male relationships in current times by making Sherlock gay and John confused about his sexuality, I'm there with bells on. However, while I acknowledge Sherlock and Joan are charming and have lots of chemistry, I'm begging the writers to keep them platonic. It's so refreshing.

• Love 1

I just feel the actual show discusses their relationship a lot. I don't dislike it. I think their mutually beneficial relationship is very cool. I just have a hard time seeing Watson settling for a life of Work. Of course if Andrew sticks around off screen, maybe that is enough. Problem solved. Watson is adequately sexed and able/willing to focus on the work. If Andrew is killed off then I have issues. This version of Watson wants a private life.

JLM is just so darn seductive. I find his directness with Watson very appealing. And how much he needs her reads romantic to me.

I know the show runners won't go there. They don't need to be so overt. But when two characters discuss how much they need each other, it is lovely.

• Love 1

Love that Joan and Sherlock have joint custody of Clyde, so cute

I hoping that Kitty is put on the same joint custody plan.  She could use the fresh air and, I bet, more balanced meals she would receive with a regular respite at Joan's house.
I hope somehow they can work in a few lines of dialogue in which someone assumes Sherlock and Joan are married (maybe they're even wearing rings as part of an undercover op) and asks if they have children or pets. They say yes, Kitty and Clyde, followed by a bit of well written confusion about Kitty being the daughter and Clyde being the turtle.
  • Love 3
I hope somehow they can work in a few lines of dialogue in which someone assumes Sherlock and Joan are married (maybe they're even wearing rings as part of an undercover op) and asks if they have children or pets. They say yes, Kitty and Clyde, followed by a bit of well written confusion about Kitty being the daughter and Clyde being the turtle.

Ha I would love that.  Some of the funniest scenes ever in Law and Order Criminal Intent were ones when Goren and Eames would go undercover as a bickering couple.

After giving up on episode one this year (I haven't watched the show previously) I have watched each episode and while I found this latest one compelling I agree that it seemed to end totally unresolved (I was waiting for the Part Two announcement also and stunned when it didn't come).  I hope they revisit the anti-AI professor and his group at some point.

I do like that Holmes and Watson are back on track with their friendship, though I didn't like him not telling her about his plan to force the professor into a confession.  Sooner or later she'll have to know what happened anyway even if she would have not gone along with it, and this way she was off to Denmark when something important might have been about to happen.

• Love 1

Holmes using the leaches and Kitty not liking it was kinda cute.

Sherlock is intrigued by a A.I. named Bella that supposedly killed its creator. Holmes questions the doll, and I see it keeps asking for more information. He kept it to investigate it further. Wonder if more will come of it? Friend Edwin Borstein asked for Holmes help on who stole his program. Later found dead. I wondered to if Holmes checked out all the pictures that were flashing? Thought maybe there would be clues there. Joan telling Kitty Winter to use the fire extinguisher on Holmes if he gets wild, was funny. Kitty said, "He didn't muck about, he went straight for Bella". Liked Joan and Kitty working together again.

Mason said it was a "Button Box Thing", it was from Terminator. Sherlock replied that "Unless the machine rises tonight, we have a murder to solve". Mason finds out that there was a Death Metal CD played on the computer, with a virus installed. Holmes listens to it to figure it out. "Rubs belt sander over ones brain, sometimes it's necessary",said Sherlock.

I thought that there was something going on with the ETRA(?) Think Tank. They said that Rupert Kulich(sp?) is "Raffles". Maybe he will come into play at a later date? Robert Burnett, Michael Webb and Isaac Pyke are suspects. But Holmes is not sure about it. Gregson didn't want to wait. Seems student Erin Rabin did it for Pyke. Holmes is thinking about saving millions of people if he don't arrest him. Issac has brother Joshua that has drug problems.he has 2 strikes against him. Issac don't believe that Sherlock will arrest him. he too studied about Holmes rehab and addiction. Holmes is thinking about letting 2nd killer walk free? Seems Erin will be left to take the heat.

Joan Watson's BF Andrew Paek was out of work and Holmes help find him a job. But I guess Andrew got it on his own. Watson finds out that Holmes likes him. Holmes tells that Watson is an important part of his life. So Joan decides to go to Copenhagen with him for a vacation. Andrew went to check a job out. Holmes did a nice job telling her how he feels. I wonder if Magnus will come up in a case soon? Wonder if Andrew had another reason to go to Denmark? Maybe Joan going has a different reason behind it also?

Edited by webruce
  • Love 1

I am always pissed how metal music is treated... seriously, metal is a bit more than DEATH and TRASH metal... (not that they are bad) and even if they were, seriously, how is it that much different in expressing emotion and state of mind than any other type of music? I see this mainly with US shows.

• Love 1
Regarding the reckless comment, I think he was just making a joke to lighten the atmosphere.  Sincere, sweet emotions between them is something to be avoided, generally.

I'm fairly certain that"rash" was the word he used - as in "rash decision". Knowing Holmes the way she does, hugging him would be am ill-thought out action. I agree it was attempt to lighten the tone.

The bee naming was the notable exception

Maybe my most favorite part of any Elementary episode. Liu gave the most perfect reading of that line "He named a bee after me" in wondering tones

Plus, it was a perfect gift from Holmes. A true honor - anyone can buy you a scarf, but who's going to name a bee species after you? 

I am always pissed how metal music is treated... seriously, metal is a bit more than DEATH and TRASH metal... (not that they are bad) and even if they were, seriously, how is it that much different in expressing emotion and state of mind than any other type of music? I see this mainly with US shows.

It seemed like Holmes actually liked it, or at least considered it better than opera.