Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Fade Into You

While I really like Kai and the Bamon scenes were The BOMB, I not really feeling keeping Bonnie away from the rest of the case for half the season. It feels very disjointed.

If Bonnie were with the rest of the cast, i.e., Elena and possibly Caroline, Bonnie would be a supporting player at best.  As long as she is the only regular in 1994 she is the star of every scene she is in.  No wonder Kat was feeling positive about S6 at Comic Con.  I am anxious for her to be reunited with Damon, but once she is back as one of many in a room, she will be wallpaper again.

Edited by Goldmoon
  • Love 7

If Bonnie were with the rest of the cast, i.e., Elena and possibly Caroline, Bonnie would be a supporting player at best.  As long as she is the only regular in 1994 she is the star of every scene she is in.  No wonder Kat was feeling positive about S6 at Comic Con.  I am anxious for her to be reunited with Damon, but once she is back as one of many in a room, she will be wallpaper again.

That's actually a very good point.

He lied about splitting the world up and going separate ways. His plan all along was to steal the magic, rebuild and use the ascendant to return to current day whilst abandoning Bonnie in Oregon so she couldn't stop him. Don't know why he had to have dinner first and stall though. I think maybe on some psychopathic Kai level that he actually likes spending time with her.

ETA I was responding to a comment upthread about the pager and neglected to quote it. Sorry.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

This episode was fun and scary and funny, but felt a little all-over-the-place and expositiony too. I suppose it was smart to have Kai and Bonnie in Portland at the same time as Deflaric were there, and those parts were definitely the strongest, as many of you have noted. Friendsgiving was very classic Caroline, which I loved, but she's the only person in that room I give a shit about, so it's hard to stay interested.

My sadness at Elena's immediate regression to S5 Elena continues apace. Of course she wants to throw away everything in favor of Damon again. Of course the show is going to ruin the best thing it's done in years, which was Bamon (and Damon deciding to care about things other than himself and Elena, and sometimes Stefan and Alaric, but only when they don't interfere with the first two) by framing Damon going after Bonnie as though HE is helping ELENA. Give me a damn break. He was already out in Portland looking for her, you dim bulb. Anyway, as predicted, this is how she'll fall back in love with him and all will be status quo again by February. YAWN.

My sadness at Elena's immediate regression to S5 Elena continues apace. Of course she wants to throw away everything in favor of Damon again. Of course the show is going to ruin the best thing it's done in years, which was Bamon (and Damon deciding to care about things other than himself and Elena, and sometimes Stefan and Alaric, but only when they don't interfere with the first two) by framing Damon going after Bonnie as though HE is helping ELENA. Give me a damn break. He was already out in Portland looking for her, you dim bulb. Anyway, as predicted, this is how she'll fall back in love with him and all will be status quo again by February. YAWN.

UGH agree with everything here. I don't understand why the writers seem to be so afraid to just take a break from these two for a little while? Damon was clearly going to do everything he could to save Bonnie WITHOUT Elena's incentive. I'm going to be furious if when Bonnie returns her and Damon never share scenes together, they struck gold with that dynamic and I'm not saying it needs to turn into romance but AT LEAST show the continued friendship between them.

UGH agree with everything here. I don't understand why the writers seem to be so afraid to just take a break from these two for a little while? Damon was clearly going to do everything he could to save Bonnie WITHOUT Elena's incentive. I'm going to be furious if when Bonnie returns her and Damon never share scenes together, they struck gold with that dynamic and I'm not saying it needs to turn into romance but AT LEAST show the continued friendship between them.

Because they are hugely popular and probably the #1 reason a good majority of the audience tunes in?

Hey, I'm all for an Elena and Damon break, but I think a lot of people are reading that scene incorrectly.  Damon was already searching for Bonnie without her incentive.  Her asking him to do it doesn't mean it just occurred to him.  I read that scene as her just asking him as a reinforcement for what he was already doing.  I highly doubt we're gonna get some scene where Damon articulates "I'm gonna bring Bonnie back for my girl!"  Mostly because I don't think he's under the impression that when Bonnie comes back she'll counsel Elena to return to Damon.  She was always pretty reticent in her belief that Damon was bad for Elena.  They may have bonded in 1994, but I'm not going to assume her view on that has changed.  I'd rather they didn't make Damon and Bonnie best friends when she returns, but rather two people who know each others bullshit and can still work together against things trying to destroy them.  In other words, still regard each other with caution but respect.

• Love 1

This genuinely felt like old TVD. There were creepy scenes with a villain that's not invincible but still a threat, the bromance of Alaric/Damon now with added Stefan that's a nice break from the romance, acknowledgement that once upon a time Stefan loved Elena and it was reciprocated, Caroline being sweet and funny without judging everyone in sight and bit players who actually have something to do as opposed to being pretty scene fillers. I am loving S6.

Also, genuinely snorted at Stefan kicking Ms Cuddles in frustration. 

Every scene with Ms Cuddles is fantastic!  

I missed the Damon/Alaric bromance so much.  Glad it's back.

Ha, loved the Damon/Stefan/Alaric road trip! Even though they were clearly on a mission, they still had plenty of time to give Stefan a hard time about Caroline. And I crackd up when Damon reminded Alaric that his "girlfriend" is someone who he's only gone out with a few times. Calm down there, Alaric!

The road trip was the best thing about this episode!  The three of those guys have such a great chemistry.

My favorite part was that I guess the reason he wouldn't let Bonnie mess with his pager is because he didn't want it broken or misplaced before being able to leave that "I Lied" message for her on it.

I was wondering why the pager was left behind.  At first, I thought he dropped it accidentally.  That is sick that he left it there just for her to find it.

What a great villian!  The actor is doing a wonderful job at portraying Kai.

Man this show is firing on all cylinders this season! I’ve genuinely liked every episode this season and this one might have been my favorite.

The Damon-Alaric-Stefan stuff was so good. The scene where Damon uses Ms Cuddles to mock Stefan is my favorite cute brother moment. I loved Alaric’s “See Stefan, even the bear knew” Stefan totally deserved it though. I was mad when Damon compelled Alaric, I get why he did it but Alaric is still his best friend. I give it an episode for that to come out and bite him in ass.

I would have never thought this show would make a comeback in such a huge way!  I am pleasantly surprised and actually look forward to new episodes.

I did miss Enzo at Thanksgiving though.

The whole mocking Stefan with the bear was hysterical.  I had to watch it a few times.  Ric was amazing - the bear even knew!

I was a little surprised that Grams had a hand in the spell to imprison Kai, and then sent Bonnie there - didn't Grams say something along the lines of "I've found my peace, and I've made sure you'll find yours" in the season 5 finale? 'Peace' seems a pretty funny choice of words if she knew she was sending Bonnie to be with a child-murdering wannabe-witch.

Loved the road trip with the boys! The Dalaric dynamic is always fantastic, and having Stefan along only added to it (and you could tell that Somerhalder, Wesley and Davis were having a blast). Damon and Alaric gleefully teasing Stefan about his relationship troubles via the medium of Ms. Cuddles was gold, and Stefan drop-kicking the bear made me laugh in a slightly outraged way. Compelling Alaric to get the ascendant from Jo 'by any means' is definitely going to bite Damon in the ass, but I can imagine that in the moment, he felt a little bit of poetic justice in compelling the person who compelled his girlfriend's memories away.

Still don't care about Liv-Tyler, and as messed up as the Gemini's policy of essentially killing one twin is, I wouldn't mind seeing Liv's powers getting merged into Luke. I can't warm to her at all, especially when she gave Jo attitude with the very first thing she said to her. Chill, girl. I realise now that your life is pretty sucky, but still, manners are good. I enjoyed Caroline desperately trying to keep on Friendsgiving dinner on track even when half the guests had left, and all the flashbacks and info we learnt during the dinner itself was great.

I really hope they explain the reasoning as to why Grams sent Bonnie there.  

I didn't understand how Bonnie didn't die after Kai stabbed her? I know he lied about giving her the car but did that page mean something else too? The end was odd to me.

Kai can't die in 1994, right?

But Bonnie had to bandage herself in the hospital a few episodes ago.  Yet she was stabbed and brought back to life?  But she can't heal like Kai?  I am so confused.

I was a little surprised that Grams had a hand in the spell to imprison Kai, and then sent Bonnie there - didn't Grams say something along the lines of "I've found my peace, and I've made sure you'll find yours" in the season 5 finale? 'Peace' seems a pretty funny choice of words if she knew she was sending Bonnie to be with a child-murdering wannabe-witch.

I really hope they explain the reasoning as to why Grams sent Bonnie there.  

I'm not sure if there is a greater reason that Grams sent Bonnie to 1994--it would be cool if there is something else that we find out--but I was just assuming that it was the only thing she could do. Without the Other Side, or any other parallel universes or spirit realms that we know of, and since Bonnie was on the verge of death in our world, I assumed Grams just threw a Hail Mary to send Bonnie to the only other place she knew of, and it's one that offered a chance of returning Bonnie to our world someday too. Still not really clear on why Bonnie would have died in our world but didn't in 1994 world. Is it the same reason Kai can't be killed? There's some sort of regenerative property to that place? (If that's been explained, I might have missed it.)

• Love 1

I can only fanwank that Grams believed Bonnie would find her way home from 1994....or else she believed that Kai was hanging out in a different part of the world than Mystic Falls and Bonnie would never run into him.  I have a really hard time believing that Grams would deliberately send her beloved granddaughter to spend eternity trapped with a magic sucking psychopath who has most likely become even MORE insane after decades of isolation.  Think about what Bonnie would have been enduring had Damon not ended up hitching a ride with her.  Bonnie alone with Kai, being tortured, raped or God knows what day after day for eternity....Grams couldn't possibly believe THAT existence would be better than whatever was waiting on the other side of the Other Side.