Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Fade Into You

As Caroline and Elena prepare to host Friendsgiving at the dorm, they receive some hopeful news from Alaric and Stefan, who have traveled to Portland to gather some information regarding the Gemini Coven. Tyler is determined to help Liv after she and Luke reveal some disturbing information about their witch lineage and the impending plans their coven has for them. Meanwhile, dinner takes a drastic turn when Jo, who has revealed some painful details about her past, finds herself fighting for her life, leaving Alaric scrambling to help from a distance. Finally, Kai makes a dangerous discovery that brings him one step closer to his release.

Oh my Bamon heart! Also,

Dear Elena,

I'm pretty fucking sure Damon was working his ass off to get Bonnie out long before you brought it up, thanks. You see there's this thing called evolution that happens to him when you're not around. So why don't you toddle on home and work on your Jr. Doctor sewing kit and leave the rest of the show to its awesomeness. K thanks.

Sincerely,

Character Development

• Love 6

Another fun episode - IMO, Season 6 is really good so far. 

Loved Damon, Stefan and Alaric on their own road trip and not at that extremely lame Friendsgiving thing.  Bless Caroline's heart for trying but that dinner was just so lame!

I liked the reveal about Jo and the Wonder Twins.  And I'm sure we haven't seen the end of "Papa Kai".

It seemed like there was limited Elena exposure so that was also really good!  Less Elena works for me always.

• Love 4

Tyler: Liv is going to be the killer, not the killed.  Duh.   Too bad she is such a charisma-free character.  "She's dating my occult professor which somehow gets her invited to Thanksgiving" - Caroline saying it would be funny, Elena saying it would be cute, Liv saying it was just weirdly mean.

Damon called Ric "brother".  I loved it when Ric stood up to the Salvatores, and him getting compelled really did  feel like a violation.

I will say this, the opening with Kai and "Josette" really was appropriately creepy and horrible.

This season is excellent.  Who'd have thought it after all these years.

• Love 6

Wow, 45 minutes after and just one reply?  Maybe this lack of interest is a symptom of the return of Delena.  Let's start with the deja vu of Elena insisting that she has to go everywhere and do everything and no one should go off without her.  We have seen that umpteen times on this show, but not lately.  Elena, sweetie, sometimes people can get along without your help.  I know that on TWoP many posters felt that Elena's butting into everything meant she had "agency."  I just saw her as being so egotistical she believed that every action would benefit from her oversight.  Thank goodness we saw Damon trying to get Bonnie back without the motive of "for Elena."  I swear if the first thing he says to Bon Bon is "Elena needed you," I will throw things at the tv.

I hated that Miss Cuddles got drop-kicked however since it helped our heroes, I forgave Stefan.  Who thinks Miss Cuddles needs her own thread?

That coven is some messed up crazy people.  I guess Daddy is going to come to MF in the present day and cause trouble.

I agree with those saying season 6 is like a breath of fresh air. This twin thing is genius and Kai is fantastic and a far more formidable villain than the show has seen in many moons. I think Kai is what they were trying to do with Klaus but failed miserably. This Gemini Coven Fam is wonderfully fucked up and can replace the Mikaelsons permanently as far as I'm concerned. Love the way the backstory weaves everyone's characters together and I've always had a soft spot for Jodi Lyn O'Keefe. She's straight up badass. This is one exciting season, now save BonBon, Damon!

In other news, poor Bonnie, stuck (although it looks like not for long) with a psycho and lacking her teddy bear. Although straight up, I'm shipping Duddles straight after Bamon because Damon and Ms.Cuddle were epic win all over the place. This episode....was awesome. Congratulations writers. Kudos.

• Love 6

I might care about Luke if he got more screen time.  I missed the entire last season last year until the last three or so eps.  Maybe he was developed in S5 but I missed it.  Liv is just a drag.  I wonder if it is the actress or if she could do better with a more exciting story.  I knew that Jo was going to be related to the twins, but I thought she would be their aunt.  I know TVD isn't exactly literary fiction, but the cliché of them being related and finding out at the table the way they did seemed even more cheaply pulp fiction to me than the usual unbelievable coincidences. Hearing that Luke and Liv are expected to kill one another and aren't thinking of rebelling is just weird.  They seem to like each other.  Why in Goat's name would they go along with this insane family tradition?  When they learn that Papa Kai was going to kill Jo to keep Kai from getting power, I hope that brings home how nutty that coven really is.

Bonnie seemed so pissed that Kai drove off without her at the end.  He had just drugged and kidnapped her and stabbed her.  But he deprived her of a ride!  That bastard!  Speaking of drugging and stuffing a woman in the trunk of a car, if this were a cable show, I think Kai would have raped Bonnie by now.  The drugging and kidnapping fits.  I think the CW won't go there and I am vastly relieved.  I hope that the writers weren't trying for a parallel between Kai and Damon with Trunk-stuffing Bonnie.  When Damon put her in his trunk at the end of the Last Dance in season two, he was helping to protect her, and he was gentle about it.  I doubt that Kai was gentle and he wasn't trying to help Bonnie at all.  I was afraid that Bon Bon was going to sympathize with him over dinner with his sob story about his father, but hopefully, since he didn't give her a ride, she can tell that he can't really be trusted.

Duddles.  Hee. How awesome was it that Damon talked about spending four months with Bonnie as if he appreciated her.  I hope that scene meant that he misses her for her own sake.  It's hard to tell with these writers, especially since the end of the scene seemed to cheapen it to serve Delena.  Oh, and I almost forgot, once again, though the scene started off talking about Bonnie, Elena made it all about her.  What would surprise me at this point is selflessness and thoughtfulness from her.

Edited by Goldmoon

So the Gemini coven stuff seems a little bit needlessly complicated... I get the twin thing, but then they just kept piling on more stuff and the merging and it kills one of them blah blah...

And I also want to know... why are we not killing Kai? Daddy Kai would rather kill Jo than kill Kai?? Doesn't make sense... I mean, I can see that in the past, killing him would have just put him on the other side, right? He's still supernatural even if he didn't have witchy powers... but was it really that easy for people to escape the other side prior to Bonnie and Grams?  I guess he died to go to witchy prison... but now that the other side is gone, killing Kai should get rid of him completely... but also, just killing him and sending him to the other side when it still was there should have been enough.

Does this mean Liam is gone for good? He looked too much like Kai... and also, was very boring... Still don't care much about Tyler and the wonder twins... but  I suppose my main investment for quite awhile has just been Stefen and Damon. I did like Stefen's scene with Caroline at the end... and the way Damon and Alaric were giving him a  hard time... well, mostly Damon was...

• Love 1

but also, just killing him and sending him to the other side when it still was there should have been enough.

Maybe they didn't want to give him the chance to spend his afterlife stealing magic from other witches? It's significant that his hell is one in which he was completely alone with no one to siphon magic from - he was guaranteed to be powerless (until somehow a witch made her way there).

What confused me was what merging entailed. We saw how Kai/Jo was doing it but was that a special case because Kai doesn't have magic of his own and needs to literally touch a magic person/thing in order to get it? Before that, I thought it was something that was just triggered, so it shouldn't be like Liv deliberately killing Luke (or vice versa) but some magical absorption that can't be stopped.

They finally get a major witch storyline & Bonnie is relegated to losing her powers. getting stabbed repeatedly & being abandoned in the middle of nowhere? Yeah, they really love Bonnie on this show.

The whole one-twin-must-die thing is stupid. 

And I also want to know... why are we not killing Kai? Daddy Kai would rather kill Jo than kill Kai?? Doesn't make sense

Exactly, why not kill Kai? Why kill the good twin? It makes no sense. What also doesn't make sense is why did Kai kill his non twin siblings? The whole thing is not well thought out at all.

• Love 1

Kai is a bastard, but damn if I don't find him entertaining as hell. And, yeah, Kai is what Klaus should have been, although I can understand why they didn't make Klaus as devious and evil as Kai. I think a lot of people might find someone as fucked up as Kai, who thinks nothing of murdering little kids, utterly unsympathetic.

I still don't care about the twin witches; I just don't find them or their plight the least bit interesting. I'm even less interested in Tyler white knighting girl witch. Jo is more interesting to me because the actor is better, and she has a closer connection to Kai.

Damon reminiscing about Bonnie was a great scene, and pretty much what I've been waiting for since he got back.

I didn't even mind Damon sharing his musings with Elena, who I didn't find intolerable even though I was annoyed by how she rationalized dumping cute brag guy. And why was she considering telling a guy she practically just met she's a vampire, anyway? It made no sense to me.

Caroline and Stefan awkwardly reaching out to each other was a little sad and also kind of funny, but it does make me interested in how they're going to deal with each other from now on.

Oh, Bonnie. Sweet, beautiful, tragically naive, Bonnie, you've dealt with scum like Klaus and Silas, what makes you think a guy who makes those two look like naughty little school boys would suddenly be bygones? Of course he's gonna do you dirty!

Oh, and did no one call Jeremy or Matt about Bonnie being alive? Did it happen off screen, or...? Bueller?

Exactly, why not kill Kai? Why kill the good twin? It makes no sense. What also doesn't make sense is why did Kai kill his non twin siblings? The whole thing is not well thought out at all.

The father said something about Kai becoming head of the coven if he gets to Jo. He didn't want to take that chance. By killing Jo, no merger can happen so even if Kai gets out, he can't become the leader. That and she can't tell Damon and co. where the Ascendant is.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 1

I'd feel bad that Luke is going to be the one to die if show did anything with him. You contrast Luke with Josh on the originals--Josh is dating a guy we've seen on camera, has friends, and has been integral to the plot. Sorry Luke. You're a dead man walking.

I'm liking the Gemini story more than I thought I would. I like that it's a story that only tangentially involves the gang. Every time a big bad comes for Stefan, Elena, or Damon it feels so small, self-centered, and incestuous. Why are they super important? Turns out that they aren't.

• Love 1

The father said something about Kai becoming head of the coven if he gets to Jo. He didn't want to take that chance. By killing Jo, no merger can happen so even if Kai gets out, he can't become the leader. That and she can't tell Damon and co. where the Ascendant is.

So kill Kai & he can't get to Jo, they should have killed him instead of imprisoning him if they wanted to make sure he didn't become leader. 

• Love 1

So kill Kai & he can't get to Jo, they should have killed him instead of imprisoning him if they wanted to make sure he didn't become leader.

They put him in a place where he was powerless and would have continued to be powerless if Bonnie hadn't been thrown there. Maybe they thought it safer than having a magic-siphoning witch running around in The Other Side, especially since witches appear to be able to do witchy shenanigans even after they die.

• Love 1

This genuinely felt like old TVD. There were creepy scenes with a villain that's not invincible but still a threat, the bromance of Alaric/Damon now with added Stefan that's a nice break from the romance, acknowledgement that once upon a time Stefan loved Elena and it was reciprocated, Caroline being sweet and funny without judging everyone in sight and bit players who actually have something to do as opposed to being pretty scene fillers. I am loving S6.

Also, genuinely snorted at Stefan kicking Ms Cuddles in frustration. 

• Love 3

When Stefan was talking to Elena on the phone and Ric was talking to Jo, I totally thought Ric was taking the opportunity to relieve his bladder.

Maybe it's the alcohol talking, but I enjoyed all the emotional scenes. I liked Liv and Tyler, and I buy them together because they're both sort of rough as a cover for their feelings. I don't really like Liv, but I feel like she's a better fit for Tyler than Caroline was. I liked the Caro/Stefan stuff as well, especially since she's not caving the second he puts out an apology. I thought Kai was super creepy and dangerous but also hot. This episode had info dump like whoa but I think everything worked pretty well, especially with the scene transitions. I'm actually enjoying this season, and that's pretty awesome.

Edited by Smug47

Ha, loved the Damon/Stefan/Alaric road trip! Even though they were clearly on a mission, they still had plenty of time to give Stefan a hard time about Caroline. And I crackd up when Damon reminded Alaric that his "girlfriend" is someone who he's only gone out with a few times. Calm down there, Alaric!

I don't like Liv (I think the character has not been written well and the actress is kind of wooden) but I was totally on her side when she, Jo, and Luke revealed their family history and Caroline just wanted to get back to eating Thanksgiving dinner. Come on, Caro. Try to be a little bit sensitive. Heh, I really want to know who ended up making the turkey after Alaric flaked at the last minute. Did he make it before flying to Portland? Or did poor Jo get stuck making it herself?

Even though of course I want Bonnie to escape 1994 eventually, from a story point of view, I like that Damon is out and actively trying to find a way to get her out but she is still there with Kai. First of all, Kai is nuts which makes him dangerous. I totally agree that he seems far scarier than Klaus ever was. To me, the only scary thing about Klaus is that he is unkillable. Aside from that, he's a pony drawing brat. Kai, on the other hand, is bat shit crazy but methodical which is a scary combination.

And when Bonnie does eventually come back, I will miss all the 90s music and other references. The episode titles alone are killing me with their awesomeness but I was totally laughing when Kai was listening to Runaway Train. Remember when Winona Ryder was dating the lead singer of Soul Asylum? Good times.

Ms. Cuddles needs to stay forever. Just seeing Damon carrying her around in his backpack and making her talk was worth this entire storyline. Loved when Alaric was holding her too. Although it would get old eventually, I would totally love if Damon just kept making bitchy comments through the teddy bear (with the teddy bear voice, of course). But Stefan needs a smack upside the head for drop kicking Ms. Cuddles. RUDE!

The sequence of events as we now know them seem a bit off. Kai went on a rampage and killed four of his siblings. He stabbed Jo and was searching for Liv and Luke but she stopped him by agreeing to merge. I mean, seriously, imagine what happened after she told him that. He was like, "Okie dokie! Let me go take a nap before the ceremony!"? There was still blood smeared on the walls of the 1994 house which means no one cleaned it up, so between the time that Jo agreed to do the merge and the actual ceremony, everyone was like, "Shhhhh, just walk around the dead bodies of the four kids until we handle this Kai/Jo merge thingie"? Kai specifically said that the eclipse happened the next day so there were a good 12 hours where the four dead kids were just lying around the house? And neither Jo nor Kai changed out of their bloody clothes but they had time to summon the entire coven?

I am so glad that Elena dumped Liam. When Stefan told her he knew he could trust her with his vampire secret because he was in love with her and he wanted her to know everything about him and they cut to Elena looking at Liam, all I could think was nooooooooo, there's no way you are in love with Liam! And I was SO annoyed with him. Jo is coughing up blood and dying on the sofa and all you can do is ignore Elena's instructions to get more ice because you want her to tell you the truth RIGHT NOW. Ugh. Now we just have to hope that Liam doesn't have any reason to cross the line and go into Mystic Falls and get uncompelled. If Elena was going to compel him to forget everything, it was stupid of her to admit that she's a vampire. THINK, Elena.

So there are two magical rusty knives: the one in 1994 and the one current time. But since Kai took the magic from the 1994 one, is there still magic left in the current timeline knife?

Great that Jo invited Stefan into the house so he could help Damon, but why didn't Alaric go in to help too? Was he just standing on the porch twiddling his thumbs?

• Love 4
Kai, on the other hand, is bat shit crazy but methodical which is a scary combination.

My favorite part was that I guess the reason he wouldn't let Bonnie mess with his pager is because he didn't want it broken or misplaced before being able to leave that "I Lied" message for her on it.

Why was Bonnie so pissed about the car in particular? What's the difference to her if she's dumped at Kai's old house or at some other old house?

So there are two magical rusty knives: the one in 1994 and the one current time. But since Kai took the magic from the 1994 one, is there still magic left in the current timeline knife?

If Kai has Jo's (1994) magic now, then did he essentially just "merge" with her?

Would the twins be able to complete the merge without either of them dying if one of them just puts his/her magic into an object and the other one "merges" it through that?

Hmmm, interesting possibility there! Is it possible for Jo's magic to exist in the same object in two different places? If they had been able to get her magic out of the current knife, would the magic in the 1994 knife still exist (since technically 1994 was before now)? One thing I hate about the knife/teddy bear thing is that in six years, we have never heard of anyone being able to store their magic somewhere and now we have two witches who have done the same thing. How did Bonnie even know she could do that?

When Jo was dying and bleeding all over the couch, prompting Elena to feed her vampire blood, I thought maybe Jo would die and become a vampire which would mean she couldn't be a witch anymore and hence no possibility of merging with Kai.

Hee, I liked that when the guys initially tried to enter Jo and Kai's house, Damon couldn't get in because he hadn't been invited in and Alaric said he didn't miss that at all.

I think the issue is that if Kai is killed, Jo would absorb him.  And I think it is more than magic they absorb, it is the essence of the person.  So, Jo would absorb the evil/crazy, too.

Although, frankly, I think the more we learn about this particular coven, the less unsympathetic Kai becomes - born into a family where he is expected to have a deathmatch with his twin to see who becomes leader.  And after they decide his is unworthy, they continue to have kids until they have a 2nd set of twins to take their place as future leadership.  They didn't value the kids (which I think is why Kai said he killed the non-twins as well.  Making a point.)  I am not saying he isn't crazy, just saying you can understand where it is coming from a bit more.

Edited by cherbitrary
  • Love 1

Wow  I don't think there is ANY universe in which Kai comes across as sympathetic, his siblings didn't deserve to die because his parents were assholes and his coven twisted.

In terms of Jo's magic being in two places I think, the answer is yes, in essence Daddy Kai/Miss Sheila created an alternate universe equally real and connected by the Ascendant. BTW, omg Cain Rogan was Daddy Kai and dizzam does he look great, way better than when he appeared on The OC ten years ago! Even better than when appeared  on OLTL two years ago!

I think the issue is that if Kai is killed, Jo would absorb him.  And I think it is more than magic they absorb, it is the essence of the person.  So, Jo would absorb the evil/crazy, too.

That's a good theory but it isn't what I heard, they said the *magic* merged, and one person contained twice the magic, but then in Kai's case the question is would he both have Joe's "magic" and his own single power of siphoning every other witches magic? But yes in either case one witch having both those powers would be corrupting, I imagine it would be like Jean Grey getting all jacked up on power, and becoming Dark Phoenix. I can see why the prison world was still a best option at the time, but NOW? It's obvious Kai is terror threat level orange with or without the merge. Even IF say Jo becomes a vampire, and Liv/Luke merge, Kai could still suck the power out of the newly merged Liv/Luke. So yeah kill Kai guys. I'm loving this though because anyone of the Kai, Jo, or Liv could end up being the big bad and the other two will help our gang fight the bad one. Poor Luke, he might as well walk around wearing a red shirt.

I am as ever disgusted by Julie Plec's treatment of Bonnie, but at least she still played a part in this episode, and we got that great scene of Damon explaining to shallow blank that used to be his girlfriend how much he and Bonnie shared together in those months away. I don't know how to feel about that Dalena scene, I had enjoyed Elena for most of the episode she seemed like Elena Classic, never more than when she talked to Stefan about why he trusted her with his secret. And I do like that she's weighing how much she can ever have the life she wanted as a human while being a vampire, but UGH that spark of feeling better have JACK to do with Damon. And to have him spend most of their convo singing the praises of Bonnie, and her to say she needs advice from the one person she can trust to lead her true: Bonnie, IDK it still felt like they're trolling the Dalena fans.

• Love 1

Man this show is firing on all cylinders this season! I’ve genuinely liked every episode this season and this one might have been my favorite.

I liked how they cleared up all the mythology and the twist that the twins, Kai & Jo were related. I had a feeling the twins were in the Gemini Coven but I didn’t realize they were Jo’s siblings until she pointed it out. Kai is probably the scariest villain this show has ever had because he’s strength isn’t that he’s strong and unkillable it’s that he’s completely insane and remorseless and he’s very methodical. Still BonBon why did you trust him?! When has trusting the bad guy ever worked? Also I guess the reason they didn't just kill Kai is because he would have just gone to the "Other Side" and wrecked havoc over there. Also Mr Parker is neck-in-neck with Ester Mikealson for worst parent on the planet, like can you not try and murder/torture your children.

The Damon-Alaric-Stefan stuff was so good. The scene where Damon uses Ms Cuddles to mock Stefan is my favorite cute brother moment. I loved Alaric’s “See Stefan, even the bear knew” Stefan totally deserved it though. I was mad when Damon compelled Alaric, I get why he did it but Alaric is still his best friend. I give it an episode for that to come out and bite him in ass.

The scene with Tyler & Liv was really cute and reminded me of  season 2 Tyler & Caroline who were adorable. I’m glad they gave Tyler something to do now and it’s what he does best. Protects people and takes charge.

The music has been so on point this whole season (so happy they finally played “Runaway Train”) but what I loved the most about the Stefan/Caroline scene at the end was the lack of music. It was just a really honest and raw moment where Stefan finally admitted why he’d been the coldest to Caroline. It was also great to finally have an angst free scene between the 2 of them this season. But Stefan’s stammering and the longing look he had after Caroline walked away makes me think he’s starting to question his “friends-only” feelings. Good for Caroline not giving in as soon as he sincerely apologized, she’s never been one to give in easily.

I liked the end scene with Damon and Elena where he talked about Bonnie and how close they became. His delivery of “Wow” after he said she sacrificed herself for him was excellent, very well done IS. However I was so annoyed when Elena made it about him helping her bring her best friend back. Like UGH Elena must everything be about you! The guy just made it pretty clear he wants to do whatever it takes to bring her back he doesn’t need you for motivation.

• Love 2

I have to say, Kai is the best villain to come out of TVD in a long time.  He beats out Klaus in the bat shit crazy department any day!  I knew at any moment he was going to turn on Bonnie and try to kill her, too bad Bonnie didn't think so.  Bonnie looked defiant and almost relaxed in Kai's presence, which is really strange to me.  I hope Bonnie finds Kai and kick his ass!

Loved the road trip with Damon, Stefan and Alaric.  As a matter of fact, I kinda enjoy any kind of boys road trip on this show.  I loved Damon and Alaric ribbing up on Stefan over Caroline.  It seems to be a very normal conversation between guy friends, nothing supernatural about it, which is good.

That was one heckuva disasterous Thanksgiving dinner!  It was fun to watch to see the Gemini coven family reunited and hear their backstory, but I can understand why Caroline got frustrated over the whole thing.  I mean, after all, it is the Thanksgiving dinner that she's throwing and no one seems to be having much fun!  LOL!

Felt bad about Liam, who's so clueless.  And once he gets a clue, Elena compels him to forget everything.  I like Liam.  I think he would've been good for Elena.  But I still think it best that he leave her and forget everything.

It looks like Elena wants to give Damon a chance to show his love.  I think she's being very generous or she does remember something of their time together.  I'm pretty lukewarm over the Delena romance.  At this time, I really don't care whether Delena will continue or not.  I think right now I'd rather have Bamon.

The Stefan and Caroline scenes are killing me!  My God!  I am so dying for them to both drop their walls and let each other in!  So sweet that Caroline decided to give some leftover turkey dinner to Stefan (I bet there were alot of leftovers since everyone was too upset to eat anything).  I think she's slowly forgiving him.  I want Stefan to grovel some more in front of Caroline.  I think Stefan groveling alot will do alot of good.

This was a fun episode!  I haven't felt this satisfied for a long time!

• Love 2

So this may be a stretch, but it occurred to me that in 1994 Kai can't die.  But maybe that's not just 1994.  Maybe Kai can't die period.  Hence why his father can't kill him and wants to kill Jo instead.

I could've cared less about Friendsgiving.  Stefan, Damon and Alaric should be in as many scenes together as possible.  Damon talking for the bear and Alaric with "See Stefan?  Even the bear knew....."  was hilarious.  

Also wanted to mention that opening scene was like the first scene on a TV shoe in YEARS that I was hiding behind my pillow and rocking back and forth like a Looney. Truly terrifying, when they were hiding under the bed? And the shot of the kids reappearing under the veil and running away, just beautifully done show. Very gripping, I am loving the addition of Kai to this show. Chris Wood is mesmerizing, I'll be following his career for sure, a wonderful talent.

I remember reading an article for episode 1 or 2 of season 6 where Plec was saying that a new guy Kai was a psychopath and I was like, really Plec? How psychopathic can her ve on this show? I eat my words. He's insane and the way they've woven the storyline into all the characters lives finally brings TVD back into the first season awesome that it once was. Now if they can just keep Delena from eating the show and focus on the chemistry between characters that already comes naturally then that would be amazing.

I for one do like the twins and would like to see more of their connection and connection with Jo. More creepy coven family please.

Also loved the way they weaved the 3 timelines together. So well done. So do we think with the magic knife that Kai will get out next week? Is that him in the promo in the back of the car strangling people or is that Enzo?

• Love 2

Great episode! I'm impressed how this season has a whole new, improved feel to it - this episode in particular could've been taken from season 1 in terms of its feel and style. Back to its best.

Kai is a great villain, and I hope that we don't get any redemption arc for him (which completely ruined any sense of threat that Klaus had, IMO, especially when he started trying to romance Caroline and draw ponies). The opening scene was something straight out of a horror movie, and the fact that we know how completely psychotic Kai is added to the unpredictability of it - even though we knew that Jo and the twins would survive, it was still pretty tense! And Bonnie, what were you thinking trusting him even a tiny bit? 

I was a little surprised that Grams had a hand in the spell to imprison Kai, and then sent Bonnie there - didn't Grams say something along the lines of "I've found my peace, and I've made sure you'll find yours" in the season 5 finale? 'Peace' seems a pretty funny choice of words if she knew she was sending Bonnie to be with a child-murdering wannabe-witch.

Loved the road trip with the boys! The Dalaric dynamic is always fantastic, and having Stefan along only added to it (and you could tell that Somerhalder, Wesley and Davis were having a blast). Damon and Alaric gleefully teasing Stefan about his relationship troubles via the medium of Ms. Cuddles was gold, and Stefan drop-kicking the bear made me laugh in a slightly outraged way. Compelling Alaric to get the ascendant from Jo 'by any means' is definitely going to bite Damon in the ass, but I can imagine that in the moment, he felt a little bit of poetic justice in compelling the person who compelled his girlfriend's memories away.

Still don't care about Liv-Tyler, and as messed up as the Gemini's policy of essentially killing one twin is, I wouldn't mind seeing Liv's powers getting merged into Luke. I can't warm to her at all, especially when she gave Jo attitude with the very first thing she said to her. Chill, girl. I realise now that your life is pretty sucky, but still, manners are good. I enjoyed Caroline desperately trying to keep on Friendsgiving dinner on track even when half the guests had left, and all the flashbacks and info we learnt during the dinner itself was great.

Sooo, bye Liam? Though all he has to do is take a quick drive to Mystic Falls and he'll be uncompelled (ditto Alaric), but I think the scene where the gang were talking about the coven and forgot that Liam was there really kind of summed him up.

And I actually liked the Delena and Steroline scenes, despite my non-shippery ways. Though Steroline still sounds like a brand of toothpaste to me.

Great that Jo invited Stefan into the house so he could help Damon, but why didn't Alaric go in to help too? Was he just standing on the porch twiddling his thumbs?

I was wondering that too! When Papa Kai knocked Stefan away, I was expecting Alaric to sneak in behind him and whack him upside the head.

Also wanted to mention that opening scene was like the first scene on a TV shoe in YEARS that I was hiding behind my pillow and rocking back and forth like a Looney. Truly terrifying, when they were hiding under the bed? And the shot of the kids reappearing under the veil and running away, just beautifully done show. Very gripping, I am loving the addition of Kai to this show. Chris Wood is mesmerizing, I'll be following his career for sure, a wonderful talent.

Agreed, and  the scene where they hid under the bed really reminded me of Sawyer's flashbacks in Lost (that scene still traumatizes me!). It was excellently acted and directed.

Edited by Like A Phoenix
  • Love 2

The reason Kai works right now is there's no hope on the horizon for him to have a heart.  Klaus became a joke once they started giving him feelings.  Because suddenly he's a dick but he has a reason, his father hated him and blah blah blah.....

Kai is just terrifying cuz there's nothing there.  He doesn't give a shit about anyone.  Chris Wood is fantastic because he embodies that.  I hope they don't decide that because he's a successful character he suddenly needs to be a regular and de-fanged (no pun intended) so he can be paired with one of the girls.  

Leave him psychotic.  He's scarier that way.

• Love 2

I say that as a Ms.Cuddles fan who found it very sweet how Damon carried her around in his backpack and then in his arms and talked through her with a teddy-bear-voice but Stefan drop-kicking the bear was maybe the single greatest moment in TVD history. I couldn`t stop laughing.

The entire road trip chemistry with the guys was just wonderful. So friendly and fun and teasing.

In comparism the lame-o Friendsgiving Dinner just gave me "what the hell? go back to the guys with the teddy bear" feelings. At least we got some plot forward movement and though it was expected, it brought the characters of Jo, Kai, Liv and Luke together nicely. For once, it`s no evil plot centered on our gang, carried out by one of their doppelgangers or a person looking for one of their doppelgangers. Hooray.

Liam sitting there in utter pointlessness while everyone kept talking about Supernatural shenanigans? If that wasn`t an indication of the character as a non-entity, I don`t know what was. Also, was I supposed to be sad about Elena letting him go? Like she could have developed actual feelings for him in those basically five minutes they "dated" Ahahaha. And no, Elena, he wasn`t your safe option. Dying from boredom is still a real danger.

Stefan might have presented as nice and cuddly in the beginning but he was a vampire and brought his own danger with him. Elena has always been attracted to guys a bit on the wild side like this. If she hadn`t, she would have dated Captain Dependable, Matt, for infinitum.

Caroline inviting Damon but not Stefan? The burn. Not sure what to make of their final scene, though. It clearly raised Caro`s hopes again but I`m still not getting "ZOMG, I might have feelings for her" from Stefan. He, rightly, acknowledged that he pushed her away because she would have been the one to comfort him and make him deal with his pain. But, as his closest friend, I think.

He has clearly gotten to a good friendship place with Elena right now so on some level she ranks below Caroline. No more "the one true love" but also not "bestest friend". Yet that doesn`t mean Caroline has been upgraded to "true love" either.

I don`t have much of a problem with Damon compelling Ric. Sure, it will lead to disaster and sure, Ric will be angry as hell but Damon had a point. Ric has dated Jo for all of the five minutes Elena dated Liam. Meanwhile you have Bonnie, the girl who nearly always went ALL in for her friends. Heck, she is the reason Ric is back to date in the first place. And all he can offer is a lame "yeah, I help but not too much"? After all Bonnie`s fucking sacrifices that is seriously low. Lower, the lowest. So, personally, I applaud Damon for Bonnie-ing it and going all in for a friend.

The final Delena scene? I don`t know. We know Damon and Bonnie didn`t spend all their time talking about Elena. Or did Bonnie tell him all about Jeremy being a viking in the sack or something? While Damon sat there, traumatized? Maybe cuddling the bear? Did they compare and contrast "Gilbert siblings in bed and out"?    

But the kicker was Elena saying "will you help me find my friend?" Lady, I`m pretty sure it`s the other way around. It`s already Damon`s quest, you just seem to wanna hop in on it. And not even for Bonnie herself but to get relationship advice from her? I get that was supposed to be a romantic moment but it is one of the most callous and self-centered things Elena ever said. DAMON, the guy who begun the show slaughtering people, seems to be in it to save a friend, not a couple therapist for HIMSELF. Urgh.  

• Love 1

I spent a ridiculous amount of time preoccupied with "who the hell invites one member of a two member family for Thanksgiving knowing very well the other will be left all alone?" Because that shit is just tacky and I'd think Caroline would be above that, personal problems aside.

I'm starting to feel pretty sympathetic to Stefan here. He's basically getting the "someone is in love with you which means they are entitled to having you love them back" treatment, which I usually see done to female characters. In that area I think it's actually only Caroline and Stefan who aren't being douches about the whole thing. I'm glad he gave her more of an apology, and that she is not hiding the fact that her avoidance of him is based much more on her hurt romantic feelings than anything else. That felt real. The show's observers of the whole thing one-sidedly deciding that Caroline is completely in the right are bugging me. It's not right to try to force someone into feeling something they don't. Leave Stefan alone and let him process things on his own time. It's okay for Caroline not to want to see him, it's not okay for the rest of their friends to get involved and take sides.

But just UGH WHO LEAVES A PERSON ALONE ON THANKSGIVING.

Moving on, I think that one of the issues with killing Kai is a lack of imagination on his coven's part. Maybe they assume they can only kill him with magic, and that would backfire spectacularly. I'm guessing no one ever thought, "hey, maybe we should just shoot him in the face!"

One thing that's confusing me is the estrangement between Luke, Liv and Jo. If they all survived Kai's massacre, why would they have been separated so long as to not recognize each other? Did they explain that and I missed it?

I don`t have much of a problem with Damon compelling Ric. Sure, it will lead to disaster and sure, Ric will be angry as hell but Damon had a point. Ric has dated Jo for all of the five minutes Elena dated Liam. Meanwhile you have Bonnie, the girl who nearly always went ALL in for her friends. Heck, she is the reason Ric is back to date in the first place. And all he can offer is a lame "yeah, I help but not too much"? After all Bonnie`s fucking sacrifices that is seriously low. Lower, the lowest. So, personally, I applaud Damon for Bonnie-ing it and going all in for a friend.

Preach. When Alaric decided his relationship that had lasted all of five minutes was more important than the life of a young girl who had sacrificed herself for him and many of his loved ones, I wanted someone to punch him in the side of the head. Go Damon, do what you have to do. Although I'm kind of shocked Ric isn't on vervain.

I agree, and Ric should've put Bonnie ahead of Jo, but I can kind of see why he'd make that decision even though it was the wrong one - Jo just literally gave him his life back and freed him from his hated vampirism, so I can guess that Alaric would feel that he needs to protect her in return. Of course Bonnie is the reason he's back in the first place, and he should accordingly be putting her first, but it's understandable that he feel immensely grateful to Jo aside from all the relationshippy stuff, and that it's more of a conflict for him than it would be for anyone else.

• Love 2

Loved that episode, but I also love Delena and liked the end scene. It was sweet and well acted.

I thought it was kind of wrong for Damon to compell Alaric, BUT as usual Damon will do the hard things for those he cares about and I do think he felt like Ric was "owed" it for what he did to Elena.

I guess I must be the only one who thinks Damon wasn't really invited for Friendsgiving and just said he was to cover and get a rise out of Stefan. I really thought he was playing along. Why would Damon be someone Caroline would invite knowing Liam and Elena were going to be there. Awkward much?

Really enjoyed the Jo and Twins weaving of the story. And I found Papa Kai kind of hott for an older man. I really liked him somehow. I think he might have sent himself to 1994.

I didn't understand how Bonnie didn't die after Kai stabbed her? I know he lied about giving her the car but did that page mean something else too? The end was odd to me.

I like Liv and Tyler. I found it odd that the merge bothers Liv so much and not Luke. Who do ya'll think would live? I just assume Liv knows she is stronger and would kill Luke.

I can't wait for next Thursday. A first for tvd in a long time. I think Delena is getting some play but not overpowering the whole show.

Edited by Cattitude

SO tired of Bonnie dying it's not even funny.

Damon carrying Miss Cuddles around in his arms and in his backpack made my day, as did speaking in her voice. Stefan kicking Miss Cuddles pissed me off at first but now when I picture it I just giggle. Can we have Damon, Ric and Stefan go on road trips all the time? I can so see them deciding to take a last minute road trip whenever Caroline plans any kind of get-together as a way to avoid it.

ITA with the posters who have said that TVD finally has a most scary villain in Kai. Whoa. Is this the actor's first major role? The more I see of Kai the more I like the actor and his portrayal of this psycho. As if we didn't already know/suspect how remorseless and scary Kai is, along comes the beginning of last night's episode. I think I've become desensitized to the majority of horror in recent years but the flashbacks to him murdering his siblings made me gather my blanky around me and shrink into the corner of my chair. Bravo to the actors, the writers and the crew for putting together such an epic scene. Now hopefully TIIC won't redeem him by having him fall for a female series regular, draw pictures of ponies and get defanged because of his lurve for her (eyeroll).

I'm not on team anyone re: Caroline and Stefan, all I know is that I liked them as friends, every friendship hits a rough patch now and then, and that hopefully they can both get through this. I am glad to see him seem to come around, apologize to her for freezing her out and why he did it, but I understand that Caroline is still hurt and that's a big reason why she's freezing HIM out. Come on, ya crazy kids, work it out. :-)

I still don't really care about Liv and Luke although the Gemini Coven is slightly interesting; I liked Jo's scenes when she was reunited with the twins, their backstory, flashbacks, etc. And I didn't realize that Enzo wasn't even in this ep until viewing the sneak preview for next week's ep. Oops.

• Love 2

Minor quibble, but were there blood bags in that takeout box? Because I doubt Vampire Stefan is going to "starve to death" from a lack of turkey and cranberry sauce. Caroline needed a better cover story.

• Love 2

What year is it on the show? If it is 2014, shouldn't the twins be older than 22 since it seems they were around 3-4 year old during the murder spree 20 years ago? and that would make Jo around 42 since the merge is at 22?

I think it's 2012.  When the show started it was 2009 and everyone was 16-17 and in their Jr. year of highschool I think.  (I think, they all seemed to have cars).  Elena had her 18th birthday at the beginning of Season 3 and it took us until Season 4 to have another Miss Mystic Falls.  So the first 4 seasons apparently spanned basically a year plus.  Assuming they graduated highschool in 2011, it shoud be 2012 becuase this is their second year of college and with them celebrating thanksgiving it's the fall.  That would make the twins 3 1/2 in May 1994.

Edited by RachelKM

What year is it on the show? If it is 2014, shouldn't the twins be older than 22 since it seems they were around 3-4 year old during the murder spree 20 years ago? and that would make Jo around 42 since the merge is at 22?

It's 2012 on the show; and also, witches age super-slowly on TVD (when it suits the plot, of course, because, script) - I remember this being discussed way back in Season One, because Grams seemed so young to be Bonnie's grandmother.

Brilliant episode, I am a huge DE fan, but I was glad to see a return to the S1 style of storytelling. It was a nice change of pace from all the heavy, emotional angst scenes last week, especially for the non shipping contingent. The Gemini coven are one hell of a sick bunch huh. What is it with Witchy parents wanting to off there kids.

Please can we keep this Damon for a while, it was so entertaining. All the boy stuff was a blast actually. I missed Enzo though. And hell. yeah! to Damon compelling Ric. Bonnie deserves somebody willing to fight dirty for her, and Damon is just the vamp to do it. I'm sure Damon got a tiny amount of satisfaction from it to, a little payback maybe?

So this Caroline inviting Damon to friendsgiving, but not Stefan. I am not sure, I think Damon was just using the fact that Stefan thought that might have happened to wind Stefan up a bit, which then continued with both Ric and Damon continuing that theme. I don't know, but that is my take on that whole scene.

Caroline was advocating to Elena that it was time for them to have a little break from the Salvatore brothers in the last ep, so yeah.

All in all, a good Ep, in a very good season so far.

• Love 1

Minor quibble, but were there blood bags in that takeout box? Because I doubt Vampire Stefan is going to "starve to death" from a lack of turkey and cranberry sauce. Caroline needed a better cover story.

I wasn't sure why the Salvatores needed to eat roadside chilli either. All part of the road trip experience, I guess.

I was a little surprised that Grams had a hand in the spell to imprison Kai, and then sent Bonnie there - didn't Grams say something along the lines of "I've found my peace, and I've made sure you'll find yours" in the season 5 finale? 'Peace' seems a pretty funny choice of words if she knew she was sending Bonnie to be with a child-murdering wannabe-witch.

To be fair, there was a whole entire world for them to be in. How was Grams to know Kai would have any interest in Mystic Falls and end up there waiting for a Bennett witch to happen to appear?

Is it me or did Liv look angry at Jo when she found out who she was? I get that she doesn't want to do the merged thing and is bummed about maybe having to kill her brother but not really Jo's fault her brother is a psycho. And I know there was a lot of exposition going on but one of them couldn't have thrown in a "Yo, long lost sister!  Thanks for saving our lives even though you were stabbed in the stomach."  Speaking of, are the twins in this particular family the only ones that are allowed to have leader twins?  Because there seemed to be quite a few people in the circle of deception for Kai.  They couldn't keep popping out kids Duggar style until they hit the twin load?

• Love 1

Liv looked angry even before Jo revealed she was their sister. As soon as they met and Jo asked if they had met before because Liv looked familiar, Liv immediately got angry, shut her down, and got cranky with Tyler. I don't know if she knew on a conscious level or not, but she definitely reacted before Luke showed the video of them as kids.

This episode was a mixed bag for me.

I adored the scenes with Stefan, Alaric, and Damon. The chemistry and the comic timing was perfect.  Personally I've always liked the group scenes and friendship moments more than any romantic pairing on this show.

FriendsGiving- Ehhh not so much.  I mean I love Caroline, like Tyler, and vacillate between finding Elena boring and/or annoying ( IMO she's very Marsha Brady- all about you honey, all the time).  Everyone else there I barely care enough to remember their names.  Although I am glad we're finally getting into the meat of the overall storyline this year, AKA The Gemini Coven.

While I really like Kai and the Bamon scenes were The BOMB, I not really feeling keeping Bonnie away from the rest of the case for half the season. It feels very disjointed.

I adore Stefan and Caroline but I'm hesitant about their possible romance for 2 reasons.

First the character has always been written as feeling 2nd best to Elena and I don't want to see a continuation of that with her getting together with Stefan, when the only reason Stefan isn't with Elena is she picked the other brother.

Secondly, I would rather her just have her own storyline and not hookup with another series regular.... Damon, Matt, Tyler, Klaus.... I'm good, thanks!

The people above are correct when the say the "show year" is 2012.  Kai said he lived the same day in 1994 for 6,771 days (yeah I rewatched that scene because I am a dork & it was bothering me about the current year in show time), and dividing that by 365 days (ignoring leap years) is about 18.5 years.

I was really confused in the beginning, with the dark background & the dark haired male I thought it was DAMON who was terrorizing Jo...I even thought it sounded like his voice.

I didn't understand how Bonnie didn't die after Kai stabbed her? I know he lied about giving her the car but did that page mean something else too? The end was odd to me.

I didn't either, I was left saying "Lied about WHAT???" Just the car?  That would seem odd.

When Stefan was talking to Elena on the phone and Ric was talking to Jo, I totally thought Ric was taking the opportunity to relieve his bladder

Holy crap so did I!

Edited by ByTor