Type keyword(s) to search

The Pulse: Jessica Jones In The Media

This is the first time in a long time I've been excited by a new show.  I can't wait for this, it's looks cool!  And I'll always have love for KR for Don't Trust the B and throw in Carrie Anne Moss!  They got me.

• Love 1

I got the comic yesterday... nice set up for connecting Jessica to Daredevil by way of Turk getting the crap beat out of him while Jessica's tracking him down for being a dead-beat Dad.

She also talks to Claire briefly.  Claire isn't specifically named, but it's clear from the art that it's supposed to be Rosario Dawson.

• Love 1

Tennant's Kilgrave will probably give me nightmares.  Just his voice.

I'm going to be geeking out over this during Thanksgiving, if it's anywhere as good as Daredevil.

Kristen Ritter just seems like she inhabited Jessica. I'm glad she seems to have a friend to talk to about stuff. It's even cooler if it is Patsy/Trisha Walker.

I just... November 20? Seems a long way away. *g*

• Love 1

I was confused as to why they went with Ritter to play a dark, noir, superhero originally, because I'd only ever seen her in slightly over-the-top comedic stuff (apparently she was on Breaking Bad though?), but the trailer convinced me she's going to be great. I'm getting awesome darker Veronica Mars but starring Faith Lehane (from Buffy) vibes from this. Very excited to read all the great reviews of the Comic-Con first look too. A show with multiple excellent female characters? Few and far between. Can't wait.

• Love 5

Finally got around to watching the trailer. While I remember reading the comic when it first came out I am pretty sure I dropped it because I started to get annoyed with all the crap Bendis was writing. That said this looks pretty awesome. One thing that interests me about the MCU is how the levels of powers of the human characters has been slowly inflating over the years. I mean Jessica looks way more powerful than Cap, who appeared to be the strongest human in the MCU for a long time (not counting the Hulk). And in a few years we will be getting Spidey who will likely be even stronger. 

• Love 2

It makes sense, unfortunately.

This is a world that doesn't have a long-standing tradition of costumed heroes. The only ones who have been out there doing that are the characters from the Avengers franchise, and now Daredevil. There wouldn't really be a way to establish Jewel as a concept. But the downside of that is that they'll have to find Jessica's PTSD somewhere else. She's not always been the dour, nihilistic and bitter PI that she is now. Will they make Purple Man the sole cause of it? I kind of hope not, because that story is icky enough anyway.

Edited by Danny Franks

Oh, Ritter is a brilliant actress. I first noticed her when she had a small recurring role on Veronica Mars and she caught my eye immediately, because she did so much with so little. Then she had her breakout role on Breaking Bad that made people notice her. In-between Breaking Bad and Don't Trust The B in Apartment 23, she also played the lead on a short-lived Starz show called Gravity where she played a very tortured and suicidal character. The show was horrible, but she was fantastic.

As someone who is not particularly into the Marvel Universe (I have not watched a single one of the movies), she's the main draw why I'm interested in the show. And the trailer looks beautifully dark and nuanced. I'm excited.

There's something really uniquely striking about her and she's been my celeb girl crush for years. Like you, I wouldn't be interested in watching this show otherwise. I remember unexpectedly coming across Gravity some years back too, and being very impressed by her.

Comixology has every issue of Alias and The Pulse on sale for the next couple of weeks.

Also, the Marvel: Avengers Alliance game on Facebook is starting a Special Op round soon, with Jessica as the reward. (If you don't play the game, a "Special Op" is a limited-time side mission, in which you get a series of tasks to do in order to unlock a new hero, in this case Jessica.)

• Love 1

Variety: Krysten Ritter on Why ‘Marvel’s Jessica Jones’ is ‘Like Nothing on Television’ - good intervew

NY TImes: 'Jessica Jones’ Episode 1: The Worst in People - Not an overwhelming rave by any means.

NPR: 'Jessica Jones' Struggles In Life — But Triumphs On Screen - a lot of words in this, but the most telling is their use of the word "brilliant".

MTV: ‘Jessica Jones': David Tennant Previews The Most Terrifying Marvel Villain Ever - Tennant makes a good case for his baddie not being one dimensional.

Slate: The Villain in Jessica Jones Is the Most Terrifying Bad Guy on Television - Slate, more on Killgrave

L.A. Times: Review Marvel's astounding 'Jessica Jones' rewrites the definition of superhuman

• Love 2

A lot of very interesting reviews coming out about the whole season just now, including this one that I couldn't disagree with more.

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/01/what_jessica_jones_lost_in_the_move_to_tv_wed_rather_watch_a_woman_be_abused_than_heal/

I don't think I've ever seen someone be so wildly oblivious about how storytelling in different mediums works.

ETA Sorry about that. Thanks for moving.

Edited by millahnna
  • Love 2

I got pissed beyond words when I read in the comments someone explaining how JJ is being a victim wrong, by being aggressive, loud, cussing, drinking, having sex, being destructive... (wasn't said with those words, but was implied) and that she is not in control of her emotions (again, as a negative)... and that because Kilgrave is not presented as cool but as comical (I shuddered at that), that makes JJ weak by being dominated by a clown... i couldn't read the rest. The text... bleh, didn't like.

Edited by Eneya
  • Love 4

This was great, about Killgrave and the reformed abuser fantasy in general. As gross as I find the existence of Killgrave/Jessica or even Killgrave/original chara fan fiction, at least it prompted one good thing.

• Love 2

Wil Traval(Simpson) was a guest on the After Buzz TV recap of episodes 11 and 12. I did not know he was Australian! He's the third Aussie besides Rachel Taylor(Trish) and Eka Darville(Malcolm).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Wil Traval(Simpson) was a guest on the After Buzz TV recap of episodes 11 and 12. I did not know he was Australian! He's the third Aussie besides Rachel Taylor(Trish) and Eka Darville(Malcolm).

Huh. I didn't know Eka Darville was Australian either. Their accents have all been spot on. Then again, so has David Tennant's. I never understood why they didn't let him use his own accent for Doctor Who, and don't really understand why they wouldn't for this. His English accent is impeccable, but lacks the warmth of his real one.

But that hard date is still a while yet, after both Iron Fist and Luke Cage.  I suspect Jessica Jones can squeeze in there before the Defenders, especially if Netflix/Marvel can get used simultaneous production.

• Love 1

Given the rate of turnover on Daredevil, I'd say we'll see Luke Cage sometime this summer, Season 2 of Jessica in the fall, Iron Fist next winter, and The Defenders next spring.  (Unless they want to push through a Punisher series, in which case The Defenders might be held back until fall of 2017.)

I really liked season 1.  Not being into any of the other super hero stuff I wonder if I'll like season 2t sou promising.  2017 is a long time to wait though.  It wasn't so tied up with all the other shows. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Here are some bits of trivia that people may find interesting.

Did you know that the actor who plays the wife of the lawyer (Jeri Hogarth) is Robin Weigert. If that name sounds familiar, it's because she played Calamity Jane on Deadwood. It's an amazing transformation from Calamity Jane.

Several other actors who are working on Jessica Jones have also worked on some other very well known TV shows. I'll try to get back to this post and update it soon with more bits of trivia.

Edited by AliShibaz
14 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

Here are some bits of trivia that people may find interesting.

Did you know that the actor who plays the wife of the lawyer (Jeri Hogarth) is Robin Weigert. If that name sounds familiar, it's because she played Calamity Jane on Deadwood. It's an amazing transformation from Calamity Jane.

Several other actors who are working on Jessica Jones have also worked on some other very well known TV shows. I'll try to get back to this post and update it soon with more bits of trivia.

I did know this :) She is also Juliet's sister in Lost.

• Love 1

Season 2 won't drop until 2018:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/12/shows-wont-return-until-2018/

Here's the pertinent paragraph:

"Netflix’s Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones: Netflix now has so many Marvel series that they’re not all airing each year. So while 2017 will have plenty of Netflix-Marvel shows, the first three titles the streaming service launched — Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage — are all benched this year. Instead, 2017 will have the limited series The Defenders (which includes characters from all the network’s Marvel shows) and the series premiere of Iron Fist. This year will likely also see the premiere of Daredevil spin-off The Punisher, though no date has been set."

• Love 1