Type keyword(s) to search

RHOBH: Mansions and Fashions

• Start Topic

Makeup ages people more than most realize. The reason almost everyone looks better now vs. the 80/90s is very due to makeup( not just "procedures")

Makeup should not be noticed. It should be light and natural. I agree it can be aging when heavy.

• Love 4

It just struck me that Eileen seems to work and play very hard. She needs to look good for her job so her personal styling is on point. I just wonder if living with a bunch of guys who's interests are probably elsewhere too that the home is just that a home and its styling is low on their list. There does seem to be some deferred maintenance though that could be for a couple of reasons that I won't speculate on at this time.  

Eileen and Vince's looks like it was decorated by a soap opera set designer, mid to late 80s -- early 90s.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'll bet it looks a whole lot better in person.  It's got a homey Mediterranean-English pub feel to it.  (The only room that I thought was truly ghastly was E's little study area where she practiced lines with her niece).  In general, I prefer something that looks like it was actually put together by the owners than created by a design team. 

Vanderpump's is spectacular although I don't care for the Bergdorf-Goodman, I mean Villa Rosa sign on the front doors.  And the pristine nature of all those whites and silvers, golds and pinks would start to drive me nutty after awhile.  I'd be looking to buy myself a big old Basquiat or two and stick them in the front parlor. It does photograph beautifully though. 

What I like about Yo's, beyond all the obvious features, is that the Fosters look as though they may have invested in some real art and every once in a while I think I catch a glimpse of an actual bookshelf or two. It seems the most modern and sophisticated of the houses.  Drives me nutty not to ever see anyone enjoying that magnificent swimming pool.

Rinna's garden area and view = gorgeous. And I love a woman with a reasonable closet area.  Vanderpump's is something out of the Pharaohs in its splendor and OTTness and also like a monument to her vanity, ego, and barely closeted lack of taste in general. 

I like Kyle's house also although every scene featuring her getting ready in her hair and make-up studio makes me want to take a shower.

OOPS  -- This re Vanders clothes apartment:  I find it vaguely obscene and hate how she seems to withhold or begrudge her staff her hand me downs.  She's always such a witch about it -- on camera. 

Edited by copacabana
  • Love 2
(edited)

Malibu Beach is eroding so badly, those houses on the beach will need sea walls soon.  I wouldn't want to live on that particular beach, even a bad storm will be able to take out some houses because all of their expensive efforts to truck in sand will not stop nature.  It's kind of sad, when I lived in that area the beach was so wide!  Now at high tide, it's barely there at all.

I think it's an English thing to name estate type houses. 

Also, I don't like the lack of privacy there, such crowded houses...I'd prefer Yo's lemons and to walk a few more steps.

I think Yo's house may be beach front before too long.  Hee.  More photos at link, and article.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2753877/Celebrities-billionaires-powerless-multimillion-dollar-Malibu-homes-mercilessly-battered-huge-waves-dragging-fences-glass-panels-furniture-sea.html

1410541766301_wps_96_Please_contact_X17_

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

Yoga pants run screaming from me so I have no interest in them. But my son's sweetie lives in them and bluejeans. Has anyone bought Kate Hudson's latest venture, from Fabletics? I went to the site and absolutely hate it because you have to sign in just to browse. Even in the Fabkids part, you have to give a kid's name??!! But if they were available anywhere else I would probably check them out. I love getting her things because she never gets stuff for herself. She is very frugal so with all the talk here about Lululemon, which you also have to sign in for(??!!), I was going to splurge on her. Blerrgg! Has anyone got any other alternatives for some quality yoga gear?

I have ladies in my classes that swear by Old Navy's workout line. I've never done Fabletics but have done Ellie, similar in that you sign up for a monthly fee and get an outfit a month. Cute stuff but no better quality than Target.

• Love 1

Malibu Beach is eroding so badly, those houses on the beach will need sea walls soon.  I wouldn't want to live on that particular beach, even a bad storm will be able to take out some houses because all of their expensive efforts to truck in sand will not stop nature.  It's kind of sad, when I lived in that area the beach was so wide!  Now at high tide, it's barely there at all.

I think it's an English thing to name estate type houses. 

Also, I don't like the lack of privacy there, such crowded houses...I'd prefer Yo's lemons and to walk a few more steps.

I think Yo's house may be beach front before too long.  Hee.  More photos at link, and article.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2753877/Celebrities-billionaires-powerless-multimillion-dollar-Malibu-homes-mercilessly-battered-huge-waves-dragging-fences-glass-panels-furniture-sea.html

1410541766301_wps_96_Please_contact_X17_

Don't forget to add the falling rocks and erosion, the mud slides after a rain and fires through the canyons for those who live on the other side of PCH

• Love 2

Persnickety1, on 13 Mar 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

From Kyle's Facebook page, a pic from Amsterdam.

Once I finished recoiling in horror from Eileen's orange dress and black tights, I realized someone was missing from this pic.

Not sure if this is from the night Brandi had her "date" or at some other point in their trip but...Yeah, no "BG"

11054404_1034351609912386_66596105660611

Why can't these ladies dress?!?!? Why oh why? Yo looks like she grabbed something from her old Snag A Rich Man collection. Kyle looks like she's about to star in The Craft 2: Still A Witch After All These Years. Kim needs a bra. Eileen looks insane. LisaV looks ok, but the shoes should never leave the strip club, man she loves herself some hooker heels.

• Love 3

Kim doesn't need a bra, she needs a better dress. Her breasts seem to be halfway between elbow and shoulder aka where they're supposed to be, but the cut of the dress makes her boobs into metallic ski slopes.

V neck is almost always the answer.

• Love 2

Kim doesn't need a bra, she needs a better dress. Her breasts seem to be halfway between elbow and shoulder aka where they're supposed to be, but the cut of the dress makes her boobs into metallic ski slopes.

V neck is almost always the answer.

Too true. I think the ill fitting shinny material made her boobs look larg and unsupported. Maybe if she went up a size? The fit just seems off in general. Plus she is sporting a magnificent case of crazy eyes. Truly impressive crazy eyes.

I really don't get why the BH ladies are such bad dressers. I really don't and I've tried to figure it out (I have no life). On average they usually have some money, are in pretty good shape, and have access to LA shopping. If you can't get your superficial game on point under those circumstances you need help. But BH has always had problems on the style front. I would actually rank them near the bottom.

• Love 2

Yo's house is pretty well situated, as far as mud slides not being an issue.  Fire is always a problem.

I spent a bit of time on google earth, her place is easy to find, since the fire station is across the street on the inland side of PCH.

I also hate the whole beach access thing in Malibu, you can download the points of access (small walkways through the houses, not easy to find, and not very many of them) but Yo probably has some kind of arrangement, or maybe the public access point is close to her house? 

I think Vanity Fair did a huge article a while ago about the beach erosion in a couple of expensive areas on the East Coast and then West Coast (Malibu.)  It's a huge controversy, since whatever they do causes other currently not threatened areas to pay the price.  Water will go somewhere.  So, sea walls, bringing in tons of sand and tons of rocks, but really?  Nature is reclaiming these areas and nothing is really going to stop it.  This is without the inevitable sea rise from global warming.

6vnGYXQ.jpg

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

I especially love her kitchen and the sea views!

But is she still living there?

Seems from her instagram pics, she is.  It's been for sale for a long time.  I understand wanting to be closer to town, but it would be hard to give up that water view and sea air.

I wonder if that is a bone of contention for her and David.  He has said that he's tired of the drive from Malibu to L.A. for business.  He travels a lot, too, and I don't know how much of a PITA it is to get to the airport from the Bu.

Yolanda, being the nature girl that she is, clearly loves that sea view and air and her lemons - even though it probably is too much house for her.  But does she really want to give that up for the smog and traffic of L.A.? 

• Love 6

Seems from her instagram pics, she is.  It's been for sale for a long time.  I understand wanting to be closer to town, but it would be hard to give up that water view and sea air.

I wonder if that is a bone of contention for her and David.  He has said that he's tired of the drive from Malibu to L.A. for business.  He travels a lot, too, and I don't know how much of a PITA it is to get to the airport from the Bu.

Yolanda, being the nature girl that she is, clearly loves that sea view and air and her lemons - even though it probably is too much house for her.  But does she really want to give that up for the smog and traffic of L.A.?

It would be hard for me to give up the sea air and water views too - and also the lemons!
  • Love 4

Also, Yolanda has already expressed her dislike of 'Hollywood friends'.  Moving into L.A. it seems like she'd be landlocked by them.  I think Yo is very happy being surrounded by her family and her house.  I get that.  It's going to take some house to make Yo happy about leaving Malibu, I think.

• Love 2

Rye, I think you're right; I can't see Yolanda living in the city and being happy.

She is a nature girl and I can see her more in a smaller Malibu home facing the ocean with it's therapeutic breezes washing over her in the sunlight with a view of the private beach while being hooked up to an IV sitting on the deck in a lounge chair in her big white robe, donning an oversize hat and sunglasses sipping lemon water and beside her are 3 almonds neatly laid out on a small plate on the table next to her.

• Love 3

It's a PITA to get anywhere from the Bu. As much as I love the ocean views, I agree with David on that front. My friend lived there for three years and I probably went to her place no more than 5 times. I'm sure she can find a place somewhere in LA proper to transplant her lemon orchard. LVP seems to have plenty of land.

• Love 3

It's a PITA to get anywhere from the Bu. As much as I love the ocean views, I agree with David on that front. My friend lived there for three years and I probably went to her place no more than 5 times. I'm sure she can find a place somewhere in LA proper to transplant her lemon orchard. LVP seems to have plenty of land.

This makes me think of the movie Clueless where Cher's dad says that "everywhere in LA takes 20 minutes".  It's like yeah, dude, more like every place in LA takes about twenty minutes to get to if there's no traffic and if you can find parking. (Yes, I know that Cher says that everywhere people go has valet but obviously that isn't always true.) 

Malibu is a hike and so is freaking Encino as much as that info might irritate Brandi. It's not the worst drive in the world if one lives in Beverly Hills/Bel Air but if you're going during rush hour or during construction then it's definitely going to take some time. 

• Love 2

Well, according to Google Maps, Yo's house is only 50 minutes away from LAX.  I do realize that depends on traffic though.  To find her house on Google maps just plug in the Fire Station address, 3970 Carbon Canyon Road, Malibu, CA 90265.

From Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills?  It SAYS 39 minutes.

Edited by Umbelina

This makes me think of the movie Clueless where Cher's dad says that "everywhere in LA takes 20 minutes".  It's like yeah, dude, more like every place in LA takes about twenty minutes to get to if there's no traffic and if you can find parking. (Yes, I know that Cher says that everywhere people go has valet but obviously that isn't always true.) 

Malibu is a hike and so is freaking Encino as much as that info might irritate Brandi. It's not the worst drive in the world if one lives in Beverly Hills/Bel Air but if you're going during rush hour or during construction then it's definitely going to take some time. 

I was holding off on snarking about Brandi's place in Encino because I briefly entertained the idea of moving there. It is closer to my work and family and cheaper but it's also so boring! Thankfully we inked the papers last week and Brandi and I will definitely not be neighbors! Plus, I've heard from friends that work in the Bu that they're closing the canyon at night for construction which means a 60 minute detour if you want to go from Malibu to Encino after 6pm. And I'm signing off before I start sounding like a bad parody of The Californians!

• Love 3

I was holding off on snarking about Brandi's place in Encino because I briefly entertained the idea of moving there. It is closer to my work and family and cheaper but it's also so boring! Thankfully we inked the papers last week and Brandi and I will definitely not be neighbors! Plus, I've heard from friends that work in the Bu that they're closing the canyon at night for construction which means a 60 minute detour if you want to go from Malibu to Encino after 6pm. And I'm signing off before I start sounding like a bad parody of The Californians!

Hehehe...

• Love 2

LisaR - Looks good and it looks just as good sitting down

LisaV - Boy that's a tough color and tough fabric to wear.  She should have gone with double spans if she wants to wear that.

Kyle - Good color on her but the matching lipstick takes away from it.  I'm assuming the shoes were so that when Brandi kicks her she gets more scratches.

Brandi -  This does not fit you.  It does not fit.  This is too small.  It does not fit.

Kim - The dress and the pose scream I am 13 and ain't I cute.

Eileen -  This is probably same designer as Brandi but it fits.  It looks better standing than sitting.

• Love 2

Yo's house is pretty well situated, as far as mud slides not being an issue.  Fire is always a problem.

I spent a bit of time on google earth, her place is easy to find, since the fire station is across the street on the inland side of PCH.

I drive PCH quite a bit heading to other destinations. She is right at the beginning of Carbon Canyon Rd. You can look up from PCH and see it.  It is my belief that living up on a hill there is always a risk of erosion. There is a section of PCH where you can see where the road "used to be",  it's several feet above from where PCH''s current road is now. The earth just washed away under the asphalt and as you look to the side of the hill just 3-4 feet away you see the old curb above.

• Love 2

I drive PCH quite a bit heading to other destinations. She is right at the beginning of Carbon Canyon Rd. You can look up from PCH and see it.  It is my belief that living up on a hill there is always a risk of erosion. There is a section of PCH where you can see where the road "used to be",  it's several feet above from where PCH''s current road is now. The earth just washed away under the asphalt and as you look to the side of the hill just 3-4 feet away you see the old curb above

Is Yo's house on the beach or is it that big one with the pool across Carbon Caynon from fire station?  

Edited by wings707

It can be a pain to drive at certain times. Mudslides after a rain can  force you to take canyon roads to or from the 101 to go north or south. You have got idiots that will stop and slam on their brakes to grab a parking spot. If there is an accident up ahead sometimes you can sit, and wait, and wait, and wait. And  there are the lookie-loo tourists who drive very slowly or are not watching traffic.

All that being said the late afternoons and sunsets are beautiful. Those are the golden hours.

• Love 2

Is Yo's house on the beach or is it that big one with the pool across Carbon Caynon from fire station?  

It's not on the beach. It's on the "inland side" of PCH up on the hill "north", actually west, across the street from the fire station. You can't really see that much from PCH, just the fence and the upper windows and roof, besides I'm usually driving and looking at the road. Only a few times do I get to be a passenger.

Edited by Giselle

LisaV - Boy that's a tough color and tough fabric to wear.  She should have gone with double spans if she wants to wear that.

Kyle - Good color on her but the matching lipstick takes away from it.  I'm assuming the shoes were so that when Brandi kicks her she gets more scratches.

Brandi -  This does not fit you.  It does not fit.  This is too small.  It does not fit.

Eileen -  This is probably same designer as Brandi but it fits.  It looks better standing than sitting.

LisaR does look stunning.

LisaV let's give her something besides chiffon or satin-but she looks healthy

Kyle-lovely dress and all the red seems exactly the same in the photo so I am questioning my monitor-I agree about the spikes on the shoes-one would have to be very careful crossing their legs

Brandi-has a gut and the arm pit cleavage area has a roll but her hair is the best it has been all season

Kim-Her armpit looks like a vagina or a Georgia O'Keefe painting she needs to apply her self tanner to her ankles and feet-it looks like she had socks on when she applied it

Eileen's- dress has stunning detail in the bodice.  She looks nice but I just want to yank the dress up about two inches.  With her perfect legs (sorry Brandi but she has you beat by a mile) she needs to wear something without ankle straps.

• Love 2

, I can't figure out why Kyle's dress bugs me at the waist. Should it be higher? Or maybe even a edgier lower, more across the hips? Where it is just seems, off.

The horizontal detail at the waist makes her visually look wider at the waist also  the top starts just below her actual waist. I think it would have been better to put that  horizontal detail just below the bust line and bring it in a tad more at the waist or have no detail at all. She doesn't have the hourglass shape that Lisa has she seems to me to be more mesomorph in body type..

• Love 1

LisaV let's give her something besides chiffon or satin-but she looks healthy

By the spanxs remark I meant to smooth the drape of the fabric not that she's fat. None of these women are fat. I would also add a good wonder bra to give her more hourglass.

• Love 2

By the spanxs remark I meant to smooth the drape of the fabric not that she's fat. None of these women are fat. I would also add a good wonder bra to give her more hourglass.

Oh I wasn't questioning your comment-sometimes Lisa can look a little drawn to me.  Maybe it is the color she just looked rosy instead of drawn.    I agree about a round of bras all the way around. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, my dog is deaf (17 years old).  Somehow he knows I am going to make popcorn.  He LOVES popcorn.  He is sitting here staring at me and he should be sleeping by my side.  He cannot read so he didn't see my post.  I swear dogs are creepy psychic sometimes.  The only thing is I have the jar of Orville Redenbacher on the counter next to the stove with a stick of butter and some oil in the bottom of the pan ready to go.  He does not know how one prepares it! 

He is staring and doing that eyebrow thing they do when asking a question.  WTF?

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

The horizontal detail at the waist makes her visually look wider at the waist also the top starts just below her actual waist. I think it would have been better to put that horizontal detail just below the bust line and bring it in a tad more at the waist or have no detail at all. She doesn't have the hourglass shape that Lisa has she seems to me to be more mesomorph in body type..

Great observation. That must be why she looked so amazing in that black peplum jacket in Amsterdam. It gave her an hourglass silhouette.

• Love 1

LisaV - Boy that's a tough color and tough fabric to wear. She should have gone with double spans if she wants to wear that.

Kyle - Good color on her but the matching lipstick takes away from it. I'm assuming the shoes were so that when Brandi kicks her she gets more scratches.

Brandi - This does not fit you. It does not fit. This is too small. It does not fit.

Eileen - This is probably same designer as Brandi but it fits. It looks better standing than sitting.

I hate Kyle's hair in that shot. HATE IT! It's too long with the neckline of the dress and the weird side part just looks messy. I think it would have been a better look to pull it up or back.

• Love 4

I think Kyle was totally trying to make a statement with her ladylike dress, hair and make-up.  But then she added the shoes with the tiny spikes on them.  I'm a lady on the streets but I will cut a bitch.

Eileen's shoes are hideous.  I think that is one time that Brandi spoke the truth when - right after the season wrapped but before it debuted - she said that Eileen was very reserved but wore weird shoes.

She was probably referencing the open toed shoes and tights from Amsterdam but there you have it. A truth from Brandi Glanville.  And now I'll be watching Eileen's footwear.

• Love 3

I'm having a blast on my first visit to this thread.  You ladies have a ton of great ideas for improving both the interiors and exteriors of these homes.  I think we have some really great designers hiding out at this thread!

Of all the pics I saw posted here, the one that turned me off entirely was Adrienne's boys' room.  It reminded me of the boiler room in an old elementary school that the teachers used as a smoking room.  Why would anyone with the Maloof money have a room like that for their children?  And what were those two matching pieces of furniture with blue lights glowing from them?  And what was on the ceiling of that room?  That big, black thing?  Spooky!  It just goes to prove that what you see on the outside may have nothing to do with the inside.

My favorite house is Lisa V.'s on the inside and back yard.  Second is Yolanda, although I couldn't stand the fumes from the PCH drifting skyward.  Kyle's house felt comfortable, I thought, and Camille's house was beautiful.  I wasn't enthused about Lisa R.'s house, nor did I care for Eileen's.  Brandi's place was such a turn-off that it gave me the creeps.  I could only imagine how filthy it was.  I didn't see enough of Kim's to have an opinion.

As for clothes, I'd choose Lisa V. or Camille as Best Dressed, with Brandi and Lisa R. as Worst Dressed.  I also think that Eileen has great taste in clothing.  I thought that Eileen was absolutely stunning in the blue gown she chose for the previous finale.  C'mon, Bravo!  Give us more mansions and fashions, PLEASE!

• Love 2

Thanks, Link.  I know what the trademark sign is, but I couldn't figure out why my name was being trademarked!  Clearly, BookElitist is a cut above me in the thinking department, or maybe I should say that I'm a cut below everybody else who "got it!"  I like books, too, but I'm not an elitist.  I'll read anything, like the back of cereal boxes.  Maybe that's my problem.

• Love 1

Captions on TV are the best. You see which shows give no damns about the caption budget and it's horrific OR you can see late changes in the script/editing.  And beyond that, when it's right, you skip all that, "I didn't hear that, what did she say" that always happens when you watch tv with people

• Love 2

For everyone who loves looking at the homes you might be interested in the book, Unreal Estate by Michael Gross.   You can grab it cheap on a used book site.

It is not a book full of pictures, but rather a very detailed history about how the Platinum Triangle was created and by who.    There are histories on who built and lived in the most historic homes and more shocking, who tried to develop Beverly Park and failed.

• Love 4

Is there a new Queen of the mansions? Has Erika taken the place of LisaV? I'm beginning to believe that Erika is the new kinder, gentler LisaV.

2016-01-06-rhobh.jpg

Did you know:

Jayne who is 46 and her husband who is 76 have already begun filming the show but according to the report from Radar, they have been behind on taxes for several years now. The site obtained documents that claim “the IRS filed mutiple liens against the couple for unpaid taxes beginning in 2000. Outstanding taxes in 2000 were $1.3 million; in 2001, $2.98 million; in 2002, $2.98 million; and in 2008, $3.2 million.” Since then, the taxes have been paid and when asked for a comment Girardi (Jayne’s husband) did not respond.

Read more at: http://allthingsrh.com/new-rhobh-star-erika-jayne-and-husband-owe-millions-in-taxes/

Maybe here's how they paid some of those back taxes:

According to Variety, producer Ryan Kavanaugh paid $7 million for a house Girardi owned in the La Costa Beach region in Malibu, California.

Edited by talula
  • Love 2

Well, it kinda-sorta belongs here.

Maurice got the Playboy Mansion? 

Mauricio Umansky Breaks Down Why the Playboy Mansion Is Such an Epic Listing 

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/mauricio-umansky-breaks-down-why-the-playboy-mansion-is-such-an-epic-listing

Interesting:

For the listing, Mauricio has teamed up with agents Gary Gold and Drew Fenton of Hilton & Hyland, which was co-founded by Mauricio's brother-in-law Rick Hilton. "It's an endeavor that makes a lot of sense. I think that Gary and Drew are phenomenal agents and together we make a great team," he said of the partnership.

Also, only $200 million and Hef gets to live there until he dies.  ok.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

One thing about PCH really sucks about it? The traffic.

The evenings and late night are bad, there are quite a few accidents - people gawk at the ocean, are drunk or speeding - and that is just the weekdays. On the weekends it's worse, you have people out and sportscars and motorcycles - pedestrians too.

Moving this over to this thread -

One thing I am surprised we have not yet seen in six seasons is a proper Hollywood Hills home. We've been in Malibu, Pasadena and Brentwood, but never in Silverlake, Los Feliz or Laurel Canyon. I have to imagine there is some East Side "bohemian" housewife just waiting to join the cast. I lived in Laurel Canyon for a year and it is legitimately beautiful with gorgeous homes that have real character. I'd love to see Sunset Junction on The Real Housewives. As a related aside, Brandi Glanville's cousin played a huge part in opening the Silverlake Intelligentsia (and, really, all of the Intelligentsias in LA).

Edited by PhilMarlowe2
  • Love 5