Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 12/1/14

12/1/14 SENATOR JOHN MCCAIN - Co-author, “Thirteen Soldiers: A Personal History of Americans at War”
12/2/14 TONY BENNETT & LADY GAGA - Album, “Cheek to Cheek”
12/3/14 CHRISTOPHER NOLAN - Director, “Interstellar”
12/4/14 DR. PAUL FARMER - Physician, humanitarian, & co-founder of Partners In Health

• Love 2

The funniest thing in that list is "John McCain: Co-author."  Pahleeeeeeez, More like 'paid endorser.' 

Why is Interstellar still flogging the PR circuit? By the time this interview airs, the movie will have been in release a month! Do we think we're Oscar trolling?

• Love 1

So awesome to see one more Star Wars geekout from Stephen before TCR wraps up in three weeks time. Even more awesome was the story he told of seeing the movie as a kid two weeks before it was released nationally because he won a contest. Those memories stay with you forever.

• Love 2

That was just yuck. McC was trying SOOO hard to be a jocular fellow and it was absolutely cringeworthy. HAR HAR HAR! The Bible doesn't say that! HARDY HAR HAR! I kind of mentally tuned out, but I couldn't make myself turn the channel and miss any of these last few hours with "Stephen."

• Love 1

Loved Stephen's Star Wars story. That is so cool.

Also, did anyone else think of Stefon (from SNL) when Stephen said of the Star Wars trailer that it had everything, then proceeded to list some of them?

• Love 4

As much as I enjoyed Stephen's 'two weeks early' story, it doesn't sound quite plausible to me. Back in the mid-70s, movies weren't released like they are now, opening in thousands of theatres on the same day nationwide. Mostly, they were released in big cities, and rolled out across the country over the next month or two. The trend of 'opening wide' didn't really pick up until a little while later, certainly by the release of TESB.

Wiki says the release date was 5/25/77. I lived in upstate NY at the time, where we didn't get movies right away. I remember seeing SW not until the summer of 1977,  and having to travel to a lone cinema in a distant county to do so, making me kind of ahead of the curve amongst my peers. My mom didn't work in the summers, so she could make an outing of it on a weekday. There was certainly word of mouth about the flick (hence our being willing to do the long drive), but it hadn't yet built into the 'this changes everything' cultural juggernaut. Many people were of the opinion when it opened that the flick was an entertaining enough space western, and were wholly surprised when it kept selling out movie houses for months and months and months.

I know, I know, I know, I shouldn't question the accuracy of the nerd-memory of an Alpha Nerd. I'm quite prepared to be corrected on this. I'm just saying.

I thought John McCain did reasonably well memorizing the flashcards of info his 'co-author' provided.

There were early screenings of movies, though, at least in the 80s, so I'm guessing they also existed in the late 70s. I attended an early screening of "E.T." -- I think it may have been sponsored by a radio station or something. (One of my favorite things to do as a child was to sit by my phone and try to be the fifth caller or whatever -- I won several prizes as a result.) Stephen's anecdote took me back to a time when there wasn't the saturation coverage of movies we have now. Still, "Star Wars" did receive some pre-release hype; Time Magazine originally planned to feature the film on the cover of the May 30, 1977, issue (the writer of the piece called it "a grand and glorious film that may well be the smash hit of 1977, and certainly is the best movie of the year so far"), but it was bumped from the cover by Menachem Begin.

As much as I enjoyed Stephen's 'two weeks early' story, it doesn't sound quite plausible to me. Back in the mid-70s, movies weren't released like they are now, opening in thousands of theatres on the same day nationwide

It's plausible.  I saw Jaws a few weeks before it opened at a special preview.  It was shown with the movie I came to see as a surprise double feature.  It was definitely a thing in the 1970's.  I think both movies came out around the same time.

The funniest thing in that list is "John McCain: Co-author."  Pahleeeeeeez, More like 'paid endorser.' 

Thirteen Soldiers. Ghost-written book, or the most ghost-written book. Perusing as much as Amazon let me for free, it appears that no Confederate soldier was included. I am pleasantly surprised by that, and surprised there doesn't seem to be a stink about it.

Loathe McCain, but I did enjoy Colbert schooling him on the bible, and also trying to bait him into endorsing a Westmoreland-sized intervention in Syria. 

Ooops, my bad. I don't know why I typed in next month. Sorry.

I thought it was going to be close to a year before the new show.  Don't want to get my hopes up but you never know, Dave might pull a Jay Leno and yank his show back.

After what that lowlife piece of scum did to Dave (and Conan), I doubt Dave would do the same thing to Stephen.

Aww, dcalley, jedi hugs! I have occasion to work with a number of embassies' staffs (staves? heh), and I'm always amazed at how kind, helpful, and professional they are. When I was working on a Cairo project, and my contact there was every other day being evacuated due to, you know, a massive coup outside their walls, I'd always get a voice- or email keeping me updated. DOS gets many many points in my book. I get a little misty just typing this.

• Love 2