Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 12/1/14

I hope Unbroken is inspirational because reading about it I'm pissed how it turned out in real life. Musuhiro Watanabe, the officer  abused the POWs, not even under orders but out of his own personal sadism.  After the war he was wanted for war crimes by the Allies but went into and escaped punishment and lived to be an old man and unapologetic. As we've learned recently injustice sucks.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Here are Trevor and Jon, from Trevor's twitter account.

Tonight I lived a dream. Thank you Jon Stewart and @TheDailyShow and everybody that watched.

Based on his previous work that I've seen and that segment last night, I'm ready for him to take over for Jon whenever he retires, or as early as January. Next week too soon? Trevor or Jessica. Trevor and Jessica. One of them, both of them... Any one of these options would be quite excellent. At the very least, Jon should go make another movie next summer, perhaps a "Stephen Colbert" biopic, and let another of his progeny run the show for a while.

I haven't heard great things about Unbroken the movie. It's good but not great. I may see it on DVD. The book, however, is outstanding. For anyone who hasn't read it yet, do so.

I don't know anything about Trevor, but I agree that he had a terrific debut.

I always enjoy Jon shaming Hannity, although I'm sure Hannity never feels any shame for anything. Loved Jon mockingly calling him Mr Miyagi. "Facts on, facts off."

• Love 3

I served on a grand jury, and we joked that we would indict a ham sandwich if the ADA did his/her job properly. I have no idea how Daniel Pantaleo wasn't indicted for something. Someone clearly dropped the ball here.

Intentionally, I think.  My theory: prosecutors have to work with PDs, so they don't go all out (or they purposely give less than 100%) in attempts to indict cops.

Trevor Noah showed up solid! Great piece he did about comparing Africa with America and how poorly America looks. Hope we see more of him.

I highly recommend Trevor Noah: African American.

At least Jon didn't go over the top with his fawning of Angelina Jolie, like he did last time she was on.

He was right up there on the line: (paraphrased) "I knew from the moment I first saw you that talent streamed from every pore." Eesh. 

Oh and second the emotion on Trevor Noah.  Great debut and hope he appears on this show more often.

He was very self-possessed. Didn't look as if there were any first-timer nerves or awkwardness. I hope we see more of him, too.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

He was right up there on the line: (paraphrased) "I knew from the moment I first saw you that talent streamed from every pore." Eesh. 

He was very self-possessed. Didn't look as if there were any first-timer nerves or awkwardness. I hope we see more of him, too.

I'd like to know exactly what examples of that "talent" he's seen exactly.

Weren't they both in the movie Playing By Heart way back in 1998? So he's not saying like he first saw her as an audience member and became smitten with a screen image, he actually worked with her, and before she became a big deal with things like Girl, Interrupted and Gia. They probably got to be friends then. Same reason he's very friendly with Gillian Anderson whenever she's a guest(which has been a while actually).

• Love 1

I'd like to know exactly what examples of that "talent" he's seen exactly.

I don't get the Jolie hate going on. She's a talented actress and the movies she directed are pretty decent. That's on top of all the humanitarian stuff she does. The media might over expose her and her family, but that doesn't take away from what she has done. Just my two cents.

• Love 11

Same reason he's very friendly with Gillian Anderson whenever she's a guest(which has been a while actually).

Hopefully Ms. Anderson will be willing to have an interview with Jonny-bun once production for Hannibal's 3rd season wraps. It was hard for me to believe that she got to work with a lot of attractive actors, past and present. I really want the two to catch up after their 'Toothpaste Kiss' and maybe provide some insight in the development of 'Hannibal' as the title character's psychotherapist (Psychology, ding-ding-ding). It's no surprise if either of them bring up that in an interview. 

I thought Trevor Noah's debut (and by debut I mean his attractive EVERYTHING) was very refreshing as to the other correspondents' debut being...well...awkward. Got his sense of humor in the first minute and LOVED every moment. It seems like this week was the passing of the contributor's torch: Larry Wilmore's final appearance Tuesday and now Trevor's debut was a good transition.

Based on his previous work that I've seen and that segment last night, I'm ready for him to take over for Jon whenever he retires, or as early as January. Next week too soon? Trevor or Jessica. Trevor and Jessica. One of them, both of them... Any one of these options would be quite excellent. At the very least, Jon should go make another movie next summer, perhaps a "Stephen Colbert" biopic, and let another of his progeny run the show for a while.

YES. OOOHHH YES. I'm all in if Trevor and Jessica pair up. I smell domination plans over sharing Jonny-bun's seat for the next year or more. :)

I don't get the Jolie hate going on. She's a talented actress and the movies she directed are pretty decent. That's on top of all the humanitarian stuff she does. The media might over expose her and her family, but that doesn't take away from what she has done. Just my two cents.

I don't get it either. She seems to me to be a good and decent person. Also talented. That aside, I don't know if I will be seeing the movie; I just finished the book and I had to skim/swipe through lots of the prison camp stuff, it was just too hard to read.

I agree but I have to admit that there's something I find very... off-putting about her. I think it goes back to that whole weirdness with Billy Bob Thornton.

• Love 1

"The Daily Show" has apologized for including Dante Parker in a list of police shootings

Ramos still sounds like a douche, though.

Incidentally, since we're talking about Jon's old costars and their appearances on TDS, I went to high school with Gillian Anderson and acted in a school play with her. Even back then, talent oozed out of every pore! No, seriously, I never would've guessed she would be the one person from my high school who would go on to become a celebrity. I do envy her having co-starred with Jon.

Cosigning every else's fondness for Trevor Noah. He's touring the UK next fall (yes, these are 2015 dates -- I checked). Hope he will be spending lots more time in the U.S. from now on!

• Love 2

I agree but I have to admit that there's something I find very... off-putting about her. I think it goes back to that whole weirdness with Billy Bob Thornton.

I think she's creepy and weird, and I've always thought her pre-Brad self was the real her and now she just hides it, which is even more off-putting. But other than that I've never seen her be good in anything, or make a decent movie. I've always thought she lucked out by being the kid of Jon Voight more than anything else.

• Love 1

Or she's like most people, who have a wild youth and then they settle down and have kids.

Incidentally, since we're talking about Jon's old costars and their appearances on TDS, I went to high school with Gillian Anderson and acted in a school play with her. Even back then, talent oozed out of every pore! No, seriously, I never would've guessed she would be the one person from my high school who would go on to become a celebrity. I do envy her having co-starred with Jon.

Wow, I envy you. Going offtopic now but can I ask did she have her British accent then or was she hiding it to fit in as she says in interviews? I ask because whenever she is interviewed in the UK  where she spent her childhood and now resides) she speaks in a British accent! Seriously check YouTube. And when she's on talk shows here in America she's back to sounding like Agent Scully! Now that's weird.

Edited by VCRTracking

I don't buy that with her. She wasn't that young and she seemed more herself then than the ways she acts now, all robotic and cautious. It is funny to think of Jon as having acted with all these people. I think he has more artistic talent than she does, funnily enough (Rosewater even got better reviews).

Edited by ruby24

Wow, I envy you. Going offtopic now but can I ask did she have her British accent then or was she hiding it to fit in as she says in interviews? I ask because whenever she is interviewed in the UK  where she spent her childhood and now resides) she speaks in a British accent! Seriously check YouTube. And when she's on talk shows here in America she's back to sounding like Agent Scully! Now that's weird.

Gillian did NOT have a British accent. That would have stuck out like a sore thumb at our midwestern high school. Despite our both being involved in theater, we did not travel in the same circles at ALL -- she was pretty cool and had a punk look and I was a preppy nerd. I do hope she goes back on TDS at some point to plug "Hannibal"!

When Trevor Noah was first announced as a new correspondent, somebody posted the video below, which I absolutely love. If you haven't seen it, treat yo'self.

• Love 4

Since I started this, let me clarify: I wasn't hating on Jolie, I was hating on Jon's gushing over her. I don't mind him expressing admiration for anyone's work, but I do mind when he goes overboard. And I thought he went overboard with Jolie.

Edited by dubbel zout

You know, after the Grohl interview, I thought I'd go looking for those Sonic Highway episodes. And then I read today that they're nearly entirely women-free, both in performance and 'inspiration'. I mean, he does a Seattle ep and never mentions Bikini Kill, for fuck's sake.

Bleh. I'm disposed to like Grohl in general, but: Ladyboner killed. 

Edited by attica

Personally, I've never had a hate on for Angelina Jolie. I thought Jon was just acting a little too creepy around her when she's his guest, even though he's known her from filming Playing By Heart together and is comfortable around her, unlike many attractive female actresses he has as guests. I have admiration for her for going through a double mastectomy after what happened to her mother and aunt. I think there are a lot of people who have a hate on for her because she "stole" Brad Pitt away from Jennifer Aniston.

You knew Gillian Anderson from high school, trow125? Awesome! You think she'd recognize you if the two of you bumped into each other? And, if so, would you be talking to her just about Jon?

I like that he doesn't hit on every beautiful guest of the opposite sex, the way some TV hosts do. He only hits on or gushes about the beautiful women he knows well. Actually, he does that with the beautiful men he knows, too (and some that he doesn't). Maybe he just enjoys playing up the fact that he's friends with some very beautiful people. Depending on how the friend plays it, it can come across as really cute or really awkward. The best moments are when they feel comfortable enough to give it right back to him. For that reason, I can't hate it when someone like Gervais or Williams comes on the show; it's almost always a flirtfest.

His gushing about every new movie as the best thing ever is tiresome, but I can't hold it against him after reading the recent interview where he admits to being one of those people who is awestruck by every movie they see. At least he comes by it honestly.

• Love 1

The Jolie thing reminds me of an interview I saw with Gaga a while back.  She had often thought of herself as a "bad kid" when she was younger but realized looking back that she was just "restless" and was looking for something else in life.  I see same in Jolie - she acted out when she was younger but she was never mean spirited to anyone else.  She's almost 40 and seems to have found her passions in life and pursues them as she sees fit.

Her father was pretty much irrelevant by the time she came on the scene, and her relationship with Pitt has outlasted his relationship with Antison so the people who still focus on that should probably move on.  I've never really been a fan of his but I have to say that they seem to have really found a good place in life.

Edited by sskrill

You knew Gillian Anderson from high school, trow125? Awesome! You think she'd recognize you if the two of you bumped into each other? And, if so, would you be talking to her just about Jon?

She might remember me -- I'm not sure. Our paths haven't crossed since high school. A couple of years ago, a British journalist managed to track me down via phone and asked me if it was true that Gillian had had lesbian relationships in high school. I told her I didn't know and I surely wouldn't comment on it if I did!

He only hits on or gushes about the beautiful women he knows well. Actually, he does that with the beautiful men he knows, too

It's always funny to see Jon with somebody like Jon Hamm or Benedict Cumberbatch because he seems super obsessed with how attractive they are. Personally, I find Jon S. better looking than either of those guys, but that's probably a minority opinion anywhere outside this board.

• Love 2

It's always funny to see Jon with somebody like Jon Hamm or Benedict Cumberbatch because he seems super obsessed with how attractive they are. Personally, I find Jon S. better looking than either of those guys, but that's probably a minority opinion anywhere outside this board.

I don't know who Benedict Cumberbatch is (or maybe I do and can't link name and face) and I find Jon Hamm awful. Even tough I don't think Jon is attractive, I join you in the minority

I actually like Angelina Jolie.  I think she's done worthwhile and good things with her fame and as for how her relationship started with Brad Pitt, you know, it's always better to get a divorce before beginning another relationship, that's a given, but no lives were permanently destroyed and everyone involved moved on happily.  

But as for Jon gushing, I can actually understand why he did.  I saw Playing By Heart when it first came out and she really was a standout in the movie.  She was also just plain-old startlingly gorgeous and she did really good work in a movie with a strong cast.   So I can see why she was so memorable to Jon.  

It doesn't bother me when Jon is a little starstruck and admiring of people.  He does it with some men too and I personally find it an endearing thing.  It doesn't strike me as sycophancy, he doesn't do it with everyone and he seems very sincere in it.  

Also, can't we please just keep Trevor Noah?  Please?  

• Love 1

I join you in your minority opinion, trow125. I know that I'm a little hopeless and transparent in that regard. Not that I think about it on a nightly basis, but every once in a while either on the show or in other interviews, there will be some moment where I think, "I can see why he's a fake news anchor on TV." The appearance on Bassem's show in Egypt was one of the first things I saw of him, and I always wish he'd bring that look back. Just that, though; not the full beard he later grew.

I still need to catch up on his old movies. I know y'all have said that he wasn't too bad, but I still cringe in anticipation. I saw The Faculty long ago when I didn't know who he was, but, thankfully, there was enough in that godawful movie to distract me from thinking too much about anyone's acting ability.

Also, can't we please just keep Trevor Noah?  Please?

He knocked it out of the park so well that I'm in a mild state of panic that he'll get offered the moon and leave the show.