Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 12/1/14

12/1: Judge Andrew Napolitano (Senior Judicial Analyst for Fox News Channel & author – promoting book “Suicide Pact”)
12/2: Dave Grohl (musician & director – promoting new Foo Fighters album & HBO series “Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways”)
12/3: Sophie Delaunay (executive director of Doctors Without Borders)
12/4: Angelina Jolie (actress & director – promoting movie “Unbroken”)

• Love 1

This interview (2007) gave me the impression that they're friends, or at least friendly through past work or events. I couldn't find a more recent interview.

They were both in the movie Playing by Heart. If you watch the earlier interviews of her on TDS, they were clearly very friendly. Heck, she showed up on TDS Jon's first year which was mostly D list celebrities or Jon's friends.

• Love 3

Oh, cool! I haven't seen that movie. (I'm honestly a little reticent to watch Jon act. Sorry, Jon!)

It's a cute little film, and he's decent in it.  It's the one in which he's paired with Gillian Anderson; Jolie plays her sister.

• Love 1

They were both in the movie Playing by Heart. If you watch the earlier interviews of her on TDS, they were clearly very friendly. Heck, she showed up on TDS Jon's first year which was mostly D list celebrities or Jon's friends.

Wow.  I forget that Jon's hair was black.  I actually always think of him as a brunette.

(I'm honestly a little reticent to watch Jon act. Sorry, Jon!)

Honestly as much fun as he tends to make of himself for his acting, he did fine in Playing By Heart and it's actually a cute movie.  There's a cute dog in it too.  I don't think Jon's playing someone too far outside his actual personality and that probably helps, but he acquitted admirably enough.  

Oh by the way, I just watched Wyatt Cenac's Brooklyn special on Netflix.  Fun, but one of those specials that seems to prove that most comedy comes from some fairly dark places.  I couldn't figure out the appropriate place to mention that, so I'm just saying it here:  I laughed, kind of a lot, but some of that material required a well-developed appreciation of gallows humor.  

Slight schedule change

Oh I was so hoping that the schedule change was going to be that Napolitano was lost in space, or at sea.  In the supply closet.  Somewhere in the Jersey woods.  

Pretty much anything that ends with that guy getting lost and being unable to show up on my screen would be a big win for my TDS viewing pleasures this week.  Don't get me wrong, I don't wish the man ill, but I really don't like him very much at all.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

Race plagerism sounds about right. Because, after all, NOBODY in the history of mankind has ever come close to suffering the slings and persecutions of society moreso than a group of people who have had it their way for at least 2,000 years, and especially in America for close to 500 years. So whines Fox News and the rest of the right.

When Jon said "pigs can't fly", I felt he missed a chance to make a joke regarding those words.

Did anyone watch Napolitano? My husband made me fast-forward through it -- I'll usually watch the interviews no matter how bad/annoying (though I did skip O'Reilly a few weeks back) -- and I was curious if it was worth going back to.

I changed the channel during the interview.

Ugh, Fox News. You know at first - just at first - I was agreeing with some of the points they were making, because I do think a lot of the Ferguson story is over-simplified into race relations. But then they had to go and start blaming Obama, Holder and Sharpton for inciting the riots. FFS, is there nothing on earth these right wing pundits can't find to blame Obama for?

FFS, is there nothing on earth these right wing pundits can't find to blame Obama for?

Clearly you're not listening to the right people. I mean, it is obvious that he can be held directly responsible for Hurricane Camille, the rise of Voldemort, bubonic plague, Isildur's failure to destroy The One Ring when he had the chance, the destruction of Pompeii... and the guy that hit my car last month.

It IS clear I'm joking, right?

• Love 5

Not sure. Maybe you should make this clear to Fox News because they might try to find the "proof" that Obama really caused all this

Good point. I was hoping that picking two fictional events and two things that happened centuries (or millennia) ago would have been enough. However, we are talking about Fox News...
  • Love 1

is there nothing on earth these right wing pundits can't find to blame Obama for?

My dad basically started Thanksgiving dinner blaming Obama for Ferguson. They don't even have cable news (Fox) at their house and is a NPR listener. *shrugs*

Did anyone watch Napolitano? My husband made me fast-forward through it -- I'll usually watch the interviews no matter how bad/annoying (though I did skip O'Reilly a few weeks back) -- and I was curious if it was worth going back to.

IMHO, not really worth it.

Napolitano was in congenial, I'm here to sell books mode. So, lots of "I criticize both sides", and "We agree on a lot of things". Jon eats that stuff up. Apparently, they have a cordial relationship, Napolitano has been on 5 times before.

Whenever Napolitano wanted to change the subject, he'd just blurt out something nice about Rosewater.

A few highlights, uncharitably paraphrased by me:

Jon asked, given the state of freedom in the US, is there another country doing civil liberties better, Nappy: US #1, but can and must do better. 

Jon asked, free-est period in American history? Nappy: before progressive era, so 1880s or so. (Except for women and blacks, he volunteered). Government's job is not to solve problems, that way lies loss of freedom.

Jon tried a couple of times to get him to agree that the greatest freedom to enable citizens to achieve full human potential requires a balance of freedom and government (e.g., law and order, roads, education). Nappy wouldn't go for it, apparently because he doesn't accept that a "balance" does not have to mean an exact 50/50 tradeoff. Bias must always be toward freedom. Since the founding father's were obsessed with "Ordered Liberty" and how it worked as a trade off, I suspect they would regard this as pedantry at best, and just stupid at worst.

With these questions, Jon seemed to be gently pushing the idea that maybe Napolitano's ideas about freedom are not actually practicable (i.e., never actually in effect at any time or place), but that went nowhere. 

• Love 2

I hope Napolitano stayed around for the MOZ and inadvertently educated himself. ...Probably not.

He's explained it in interviews, but the more I see him in these conversations, the more I'm convinced that Jon's family gatherings are very similar to mine: full of people who consider O'Reilly and Napolitano "too liberal." It's no wonder he's managed to fine-tune the art of gently telling them they're full of bullshit; I'm still at the stage where I can only debate so long before the obstinacy destroys my ability to articulate my thoughts. It's probably very familiar to most people, and the question at the heart of Jon's approach seems to be: do we just cut people off at some point, or do we keep trying to communicate and educate? I keep trying, although it's like talking to myself at times. (The problem with cutting them off, of course, is that they're still there and we still have to coexist in the same country (and planet) together. Not that they care, which makes us not care, so the answer seems to be to cut them off. But then what? We're all still here together. There is surely a philosophical law for this sort of situation, but I don't know what it is.)

• Love 1

So this is the last we'll see of Senior Black Correspondent Larry Wilmore, before he hosts his own show next month. Nice way to go out. By basically telling idiots, like Bill O'Reilly and the St. Louis Police Association, to go fuck themselves. Does anyone with a brain think the SLPA that the Rams apologized to them?

C'mon Jon. Don't reconsider your plea to China not to ban puns just because Bret Baier sucks at it. China deserves to be shamed for not having a sense of humor. I gotta say, I love how Jon rises to the challenge.

Yeah, the ebola crisis "is over" because Republicans and the media successfully tied it to the Obama administration for the midterm elections.

• Love 2

I hope Napolitano stayed around for the MOZ and inadvertently educated himself. ...Probably not.

He's explained it in interviews, but the more I see him in these conversations, the more I'm convinced that Jon's family gatherings are very similar to mine: full of people who consider O'Reilly and Napolitano "too liberal." It's no wonder he's managed to fine-tune the art of gently telling them they're full of bullshit; I'm still at the stage where I can only debate so long before the obstinacy destroys my ability to articulate my thoughts. It's probably very familiar to most people, and the question at the heart of Jon's approach seems to be: do we just cut people off at some point, or do we keep trying to communicate and educate? I keep trying, although it's like talking to myself at times. (The problem with cutting them off, of course, is that they're still there and we still have to coexist in the same country (and planet) together. Not that they care, which makes us not care, so the answer seems to be to cut them off. But then what? We're all still here together. There is surely a philosophical law for this sort of situation, but I don't know what it is.)

Sorry, but I say cut them off. It's a waste of time. My Thanksgiving dinner has people like that too, and it always just makes everything awkward for the rest of us. It's unbearable and they're too obstinate and ignorant to be reasoned with.

I basically just think the only way to move forward is one party in complete charge of all branches so that they do what they were elected to do and people can judge them based on the results of policy. Of course if the Republicans are in total charge then we won't be moving forward, but we will be moving in one clear direction, and it will look a lot like how it did the last time they had control for 6 years- a disaster that Obama and the Democrats had to clean up and weren't given enough time to do so (just two years before the people decided they wanted the morons who created the mess back in charge of it).

I don't think you can work with the other side. You just have to beat them in order to get anything done.

• Love 2

I know I'm late giving my opinions about TDS for the last few weeks, but I gotta say, with new correspondents and contributors coming and going, I feel like Colbert is not alone with all these changes. With Larry Wilmore (who closed out his contributor position with a good ol' FU to everyone against the St. Louis Rams' gesture) taking over Colbert's slot, I wonder how long Jonny-bun will keep up the stamina hosting on TDS and producing The Nightly Show. His contract expiration is counting down to months, and it seems lately his flames of passion are slowly flickering out. And I don't think talking with politicians (or Mr. Napolitano, for current matters) is helping his motivation. Maybe the lack of changes and journalistic integrity in the media that it's become a long-standing competition between them or Jonny-bun and who will fall down to the other first. I really don't want those kinds of pressures to break Jonny-bun's streak. 

I don't think talking with politicians (or Mr. Napolitano, for current matters) is helping his motivation.

I imagine Jon, as an executive producer, has some say over what guests are booked. It's not as if his staff is out to get him. He called Napolitano a friend of the show, so Jon isn't amiss to having him on.

Loved seeing Larry one last time before his show starts. I won't stay up for it, but I'll probably DVR at least the first week.

Hannity's rant about Obama's "association" with Jeremiah Wright and Al Sharpton (and other "extremists") was probably aired too late for Jon to respond on last night's show, but I hope he deals with it tonight.  Hannity's guest tried to educate him about what qualifies as extreme but Hannity wasn't having any. 

Sorry FOX, but if Obama was as megalomaniacal as you contend, you'd be looking for other work.  Where's an IRS audit when you really need one?

• Love 6

Hannity's guest tried to educate him about what qualifies as extreme but Hannity wasn't having any.

Next Mission (Impossible) would be to educate Hannity about what qualifies as "association".  I'll bet if we scrutinized every sermon ever given in any church Hannity has attended (I'm assuming he's a good Catholic lad who attends mass regularly), we'd find some pretty extreme views that Hannity is "associated" with too.

I'm really looking forward to a nightly dose of Larry.  He'll be very different than Stephen, but I've always loved Larry's wry perspective, and as much as I love TCR, I'm looking forward to a follow up to TDS that doesn't subject me to kicking off every episode with interminable maniacal chanting of the host's name.  

I have to laugh because it's so pathetic how Obama is fit into the latest rant of the day. He's the Imperial President, but then he's completely ineffectual and weak on Syria and can't out-bully Putin. 

• Love 8

Well, it's the same tactic they use about Hillary: A man-hating lesbian who is nonetheless having so torrid an affair with Vince Foster he has to be murdered. Throw every insult at your target. Your audience gets to pick the thing that makes them maddest, and will ignore its opposite.

• Love 10

I'd like to see China crack down on their puns. It's a HUGE part of their society. The state sanctioned Chinese New Year program has multiple skits focused on puns, as do the provincial CNY programs, a big part of New Years parties (ie a pun question and people win prizes figuring out the right pun answer), weddings, every TV show ever, etc... Hell as an ABC, I could figure out the puns at a young age becuase it's so ingrained in society.  They're just salty that people are using the puns against the officials now, and they're not alright with that.

Hi Larry! Bye Larry!

For people who want to learn more about DWB/MSF, watch Living in Emergency. The doctor's who do it are amazing, I couldn't do it to the scale they do. Also, you can really see their drinking prowess in the documentary.

Edited by maculae

Post racial era my ass. It really says something when Jon can't find anything to laugh at in regards to Eric Garner's killer (yes, that's how he should be referred as) walking away scott free. Depressing.

Oh do go fuck yourself, Gretchen Carlson!

Edited by Victor the Crab
  • Love 7

Tonight's opener... all I can say is no justice, no change, same old issue. Jonny-bun looked less than pleased about the indictment it sounds about right that the cathartic pieces for the last few days weren't enough to cope the Ferguson indictment. A little less tragedy would be nice. And not the bloody kind, I mean a sense of justice/closure for the victims, my goodness.

• Love 1

I served on a grand jury, and we joked that we would indict a ham sandwich if the ADA did his/her job properly. I have no idea how Daniel Pantaleo wasn't indicted for something. Someone clearly dropped the ball here.

Gretchen Carlson is a disgrace to humanity. Of course, that applies to just about everyone else who works for Fox News.

• Love 2

So did they change the name of Larry Wilmore's show?   Last I heard it was going to be called The Minority Report and when Jon introduced him it sounded like he called it Nightly with Larry Wilmore (or something like that).

I've only watched one episode of Sonic Highways, but it was really good. Foo Fighters isn't my kind of music, but I was riveted. I have to find the time to finish off the series. It's not like I don't think musicians aren't smart people, but I was surprised how sharp Grohl is in the series. 

The breast cancer lady was a really good sport too. I was surprised how straight she played the whole interview. 

• Love 3

So did they change the name of Larry Wilmore's show?   Last I heard it was going to be called The Minority Report and when Jon introduced him it sounded like he called it Nightly with Larry Wilmore (or something like that).

Yeah, I heard it was changed to avoid confusion with that Tom Cruise movie. 

I think I heard the Wilmore name change maybe two weeks ago? Not only to avoid confusion with the movie, but to make it a more obvious bookend to TDS. You know: The Daily Show, followed by The Nightly Show.

• Love 1

Shep Smith being successful at Fox makes me question natural selection. We know that the environment there doesn't select for decency, but how could it possibly be a neutral trait? It should stand out like the peppered moth. (Damn Fox and its war on science.)

• Love 1

Morons. That's what they are. These morons who try and find reasons and/or excuses why it's Eric Gardner's fault that he died, and not the people that caused his death. And Jon can talk till he's blue in the face, and it won't convince them otherwise.

Trevor Noah showed up solid! Great piece he did about comparing Africa with America and how poorly America looks. Hope we see more of him.

At least Jon didn't go over the top with his fawning of Angelina Jolie, like he did last time she was on.

Those guys should have given the Fox News hosts the finger if they knew what the network was.

• Love 4

What a fantastic debut. Damn, I wish he were a correspondent, not a contributor. I'm already missing him in anticipation of the weeks (or months!) in between his appearances.

Their coverage of the Eric Garner case has been superb. Jon's comments last night were beautiful, and I'm so glad they came back to it tonight, with more direction but no less outrage and humanity. I hope they stay on it for some segments next week.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 2

Two things which struck me about all of this.  From last night to this night, you can really see Jon's both passion and disgust about what was (not) done in this case.  Should be required viewing by all media types who are attempting to cover these protests.

And the second thing is .. I really, REALLY hope all who are protesting around both NYC and the entire country would show the same sense of urgency come Election Day.  Get off your duffs and vote!

Oh and second the emotion on Trevor Noah.  Great debut and hope he appears on this show more often.

• Love 5