Type keyword(s) to search

Mr. Selfridge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Agree about Loxly.   What a caricature.   I do love Mae though.   I'm hoping for a sticky end for him, but not a public one because I want her to go back to her fabulous life before the troll came back to town. 

I wonder if something is going to happen between Delphine and Harry.   She's not quite his type (young and dumb is more his speed) but, especially last episode, something seemed up. 

Oh, please send Thackery the Weasle to the Front with Loxley the Odious! How dare he accuse my hottie Henri of being a German spy! I loved the concert. Man, that guy can sing. "Danny Boy" gets me every time.

I love the "Prime of Miss Mardle." Yeah, you go enjoy yourself, girlfriend!

I love the "Prime of Miss Mardle." Yeah, you go enjoy yourself, girlfriend!

I agree. She is getting younger, as they said.  I love that with every interaction, Roger realizes just how much she is the one that got away.

They couldn't paint Loxley as a more obvious villain if they gave him a moustache to twirl.

I have to think that Harry's little German endeavor will not go well, but I usually get these things wrong.  Just as I will be the most surprised person in the room if Agnes actually ends up marrying Victor.  She's going to run back to Henri at some point.

Edited by cattykit

I wanted to shove those shoddy boots up Loxley's ass! Harry shouldn't let Edwards into his store ever again since he stabbed him in the back once again. Oh, and I hope Rose slaps Harry for going off on this stupid espionage trip and leaving her in the dark and everyone else in the lurch.

BTW, in the behind the scenes features, I just love the actor who plays Victor's real accent. Turns out he is Welsh.

I didn't miss "the Piv" but he'll be back next week.  Still in an episode w/o him, most of the discussion was about him.

We all knew that George was a goner - poor Agnes.  She reminded me of Anna in DA when she was defending Henri.  Is Henri this show's Bates?  I wonder what he stole in NY?  

If I were Miss Mardle, I would've told Grove to shove it. He dumped her so he could marry a younger model so he has no right to comment on her personal life.   I hope she marries Florian and flaunts it in his face.

Happy that Mae left Loxley and took her maid/dresser with her.   I wonder what she'll do for money.

A week without the lead character...divine.

It is a TV/movie trope that young men who eagerly demand to be sent to war will be invariably sent back in a bag.  Poor Agnes.  Unless the telegram actually means something else and they were just teasing us.

If I were Miss Mardle, I would've told Grove to shove it. He dumped her so he could marry a younger model so he has no right to comment on her personal life.   I hope she marries Florian and flaunts it in his face.

Yes, I can't believe that when Roger was whining about Josie's reputation, she didn't throw it back in his face that he wasn't worried about her reputation when she was his mistress.  Nevertheless, I like the fact that Roger is not a one-dimensional character.  He's good in some ways, and an ass in others.  Unlike Loxley, who couldn't be painted as a villain with a larger brushstroke if they dropped the entire paint can on him.

I don't actually like Henri.  I don't like that he was set up, but he is not one of my favorite characters by a long shot.  But they are determined to foist him off as this tragically misunderstood Gallic heartthrob.  So some more soap will flow and he will be exonerated.  I still think he will end up back with Agnes.  Victor needs to be concerned that she was quite so broken up about his arrest.

It was great to see Mr. Thackeray found out and forced to try to make things right for Henri. By the way, I finally figured out who Thackeray looks like: Glenn Close in Albert Nobbs!

Agreed that Rose is terrible--that actress has never been worse than in this episode, IMO--and that The Piv was completely un-missed.

(edited)

I missed Harry too.   And you GO Kitty!   I usually find her super irritating, but the way she told off Edwards made me love her a little. 

Wonder where Mae is going to go.   Delphine?  Probably not...  We need to find a way for Loxly to be totally humiliated and tarred and feathered, but with Lady Mae retaining her social standing and fabulous self...

Oh, and I would pick Victor over Henri any day.

Edited by midge

*raises hand* I missed Harry, too.

I also agree about picking Victor over Henri.  It's not that I don't like Henri, it's just that he's got too much "baggage," too many issues, and he's bound to break a girl's heart unless he gets himself sorted out.

(edited)

Man, I want to mess up that odious little toad Loxley! Could Mr. Bates come to London and push him in front of a bus? ;-)

Delphine is one sneaky bitch. I can't help myself, I just love Henri. I know Victor is a stand-up guy, but Henri is oh-la-la!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

I love Lady Mae's maid.  I just hope she comes out of this mess okay, with or without Lady Mae.  

Agnes having to choose between Henri and Victor is like having to choose between a banana split and a hot fudge sundae.  Poor girl.

• Love 2

Ugh. Annoying Americans.  ;-)

Man, I want to mess up that odious little toad Loxley! Could Mr. Bates come to London and push him in front of a bus?

Haaaaahahahaha!

I think Rose is pregnant. Remember, you heard it from me first, folks.

(edited)

I didn't notice but I wonder if Harry took Mae's maid in as well.  I hope so.

I side-eyed Delphine when I first laid eyes on her, so I'm happy that her end game was ruined.

Victor is such a kind man and I hope he can someday get over Agnes and find someone else.  I also hope Henri comes back from the war to Agnes, but I just have a bad feeling about that.

I'm sorry Rose is dying but I feel bad about the fact that I can't get too worked up over it. *

Even though he treated Miss Mardle shabbily in the past, I never disliked Mr. Grove and I'm glad that he wished her well.  I'm happy for her and the Belgian (can't remember his name), but I worry about her "mothering" him.  She shouldn't have given him lunch money like a mother giving lunch money to her eight year-old son.  I'm glad that he initially refused the money, but what that scene told me was that she thinks she needs to give him money to keep him.  I won't go so far as to say she's trying to control him, but it just didn't look good on her part.  I can understand why Mr. Grove was upset, based on what he saw.   

* I realize that Rose was a real life person and it's sad that she died at a relatively young age, but Frances O'Connor is such a bad actress in that role that I just don't care about her.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

What a great episode!  So much to digest and enjoy.  Yay!  for Loxley getting his well-deserved lumps!  Wish Mae could have torn his eyes out as a parting gift, but oh well.  So glad George came back ok, so many did not.  Wow at the chemistry between Frank and Kitty, looks very authentic.  Poor Rose and Harry, terrible diagnosis.  I'm not really fond of the actress who portrays her, either.  I never trusted Delphine either; glad her goose was cooked.  And Mr Grove FINALLY redeemed himself after being a TOTAL jerk.  This whole evening had me crying like a baby, Doc Martin, too.

I was spoiled, so I knew Loxley was goin' down, but when he walked in while Lady Mae was still going through his desk, I thought, oh no, she hasn't found the list. So the writers got me on that one.

I totally am with you, Ohwell!  I can't stand Frances O'Conner's protrayl of Rose.  I read the real Rose died in the influenza epidemic.  Very sad that so many died from the Spanish Flu so quickly after so many died in WW I.

I never trusted Delphine, but I think it's  because Polly Walker in "Rome" was so deliciously eeeevill

• Love 2
(edited)

I was a little disturbed at the repeated message that women don't know their own minds unless a man tells them. Miss Mardle has to be told by Mr Grove that first, her relationship with Florian is wrong, until he tells her it's right. Special snowflake has her fiancé refuse to listen to her choice because he has decided that she loves Henri and must go to him.

Edited by maraleia
deleted double post
  • Love 1

I wanted to see Loxley do a perp walk into the courthouse. Oh, well. Loved how Mae emphasized "little" when she was telling him off. Bet he was a dud in bed! I didn't like Lady Mae at first, but now she is my hero! Harry was awesome standing up to Loxley ("I want to punch your smug little face into next week.") and at the meeting.

I love Victor, but I've always wanted Agnes and Henri together.

I love Victor, but I've always wanted Agnes and Henri together. 

I've never wanted them together, but I predicted it weeks ago.  Victor deserved better. 

Delphine should have just waited it out longer and she could have gotten what she wanted.  Cold, I know.

• Love 1

Even after Rose died I don't think Harry would have wanted Delphine.  While he has had his share of" lively" ladies, I think she is just a little too pushy and worldly for his taste.  He just strikes me as the type of man who'd want to come home to a nurturing, loving wife who would also stroke his ego.  Delphine is not that woman because she is to conniving and into looking out for herself.   

• Love 1

Greetings, everyone! I am new to PTV, so be kind to the poor newbie. :)

So I just watched the finale for the second time and very much enjoyed it. Despite the fact that I can no longer deny I'm middle-aged -- or perhaps because of that -- I have been shipping Josie Mardle and Florian Dupont like crazy. I think their arc has been handled very well, from the moment in Ep5 when she opens the door and fumbles over herself when she finds this very presentable young man standing on her step to that final scene in the foyer. The skills the actress in particular has brought to the storyline have really sold a relationship that could have seemed silly in lesser hands. Interesting, unexpected choice to open this episode with them together in bed.

I agree with the point above about how she and Agnes don't know their own minds unless some man tells them what to think, although I suppose you could argue that they know perfectly well how they feel. It's when they ignore those feelings in favor of someone else's perfectly reasonable (to them, anyway) argument that the trouble starts!

I did find it hard to believe that Delphine, normally so savvy about men, would make that play for Harry at that time. Here he keeps telling her about how he and Rose work together so well and she thinks that's the tack to take? I had hoped, when that character was introduced, that she would have a less predictable role than would-be man-stealer, but alas. 

And nice wrap-up at the end when Harry and Rose look across the table at each other in perfect understanding. 

Even after Rose died I don't think Harry would have wanted Delphine.  While he has had his share of" lively" ladies, I think she is just a little too pushy and worldly for his taste.  He just strikes me as the type of man who'd want to come home to a nurturing, loving wife who would also stroke his ego.  Delphine is not that woman because she is to conniving and into looking out for herself.

IRL, after Rose died, Harry went back to chasing show girls and the like.

(edited)

This show is cheesy and obvious and yet I can't stop watching.  Loved Lady Mae giving it to Loxley.  Maybe they are setting up a Mae/Harry thing for next season, should Rose pass quickly.

Does Rose have lung cancer?  I wonder if back in 1914, they used the C word at all or that was verboten.  I think the real Mrs. Selfridge died during the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918.  I wonder if it's going to take her another three years to die, or will she be gone already by the time the new season starts?  

I knew Agnes wasn't going to marry Victor, she's the Peggy Olson of this show, and she's not going to work in an Italian restaurant for the rest of her life.  I thought it was very noble (and a bit unrealistic) of him to give her up and even tell her that she should be with Henri.  

I was kind of hoping that they wouldn't send George back to the frontlines.  Despite his cheerful nature, he looked like he didn't want to go back now that he knows the horrors of war.

BTW, Jeremy Piven is doing a http://timestalks.com/ tomorrow from London - I think they will be livestreaming, if anyone is interested.  I imagine he's filming season 3 of MS, so maybe he'll drop some spoilers.

Edited by apgold

IRL, Rose died of pneumonia in the Spanish Flu Pandemic in 1918.  In 1916, they rented Highcliffe Castle.  While there, Rose established a convalescent hospital for American soldiers.  I've visited the castle, but didn't get over to the gravesite where Mr. Selfridge was buried.

I greatly enjoyed the Thanksgiving scene.  My daughter lives with her English husband in England, and they have Thanksgiving for friends and family every year, usually on the Saturday before or after the US Thanksgiving.  She's talked of how, even now, some ingredients for our traditional Thanksgiving feast are difficult to find, as did Rose!

Lady Loxley, you go girl!  I too thought she hadn't found the procurement list, so was happy to see Harry take on Loxley with evidence in hand. 

I was spoiled, so I knew Loxley was goin' down, but when he walked in while Lady Mae was still going through his desk, I thought, oh no, she hasn't found the list. So the writers got me on that one.

I hadn't read any spoilers, and I too was pleasantly surprised when Harry was able to produce the damning list.  I wonder, though, why Lady Mae stuck around even after she had found it... was it to throw him off the scent and make him think she was really only looking for money?  Seems to me it would have just been better to get the sam hill out of there.  I didn't watch the first season (though I plan to soon)- does anyone know if Loxley really was physically abusive, or did Mae just say that to Selfridge to better explain why she had vouched for Loxley...?

As far as the Agnes-Victor-Henri love triangle goes, I thought the acting in the Victor-Agnes scene was superb but the writing only so-so.  As with Apgold, it's not believable to me that Victor would be that selfless and noble - or at least that his turn-about would come as quickly as it seemed to.  I don't feel a ton of chemistry between Agnes and Henri, to be honest.  I know they were a big item in the first season, so maybe I'll get more into their romance when I get to watch it, but she just seems too young for him.  I think I'm a bit closer to his age... ;-D

I do like the chemistry between Kitty and Frank, so props to whoever mentioned that. 

I'm enjoying the "DuMardle" romance (or maybe I should call it "Flosie"?) as well.  I too was a bit surprised they wound up in the sack.  I know prior generations weren't necessarily chaste, but I think they're bending to modern tastes at the risk of losing any sense of authenticity.  As far as a woman waiting for a man to tell her what to do goes, I think Mr. Grove's conversations with Miss Mardle stemmed more from his own jealousy.  He doesn't want her anymore, but he doesn't like someone else having her.  It seems to me that his finally telling her to go for it, more or less, was his way of letting her go and putting his selfish feelings of jealousy aside.  Maybe that freed her up and helped her realize where his criticisms were really coming from - and that she doesn't have to care what anyone else thinks.

Seriously, why do they have to make her look so old?  Is she playing a 50-something?  The actress is only 39 or 40, I think. 

Miss Mardle had a years long physical affair why would she hold back with Florian?  She seems to be a woman of her passions.

Fair enough - I'm only pointing out that the show's writers know modern audiences enjoy seeing people in bed together.  Nothing new or surprising about that - it just might be nice, on occasion, to allow more time for tension to build rather than having a couple hop into the sack as soon as they realize they're into each other.  I'm speaking in general terms - not necessarily specifically about Miss Mardle and her passions.  I guess I would think that the Victorian Era and all its notions of propriety would have still been influential.  Perhaps I'm mistaken in that regard.  

it just might be nice, on occasion, to allow more time for tension to build rather than having a couple hop into the sack as soon as they realize they're into each other.  I'm speaking in general terms - not necessarily specifically about Miss Mardle and her passions.  I guess I would think that the Victorian Era and all its notions of propriety would have still been influential.  Perhaps I'm mistaken in that regard.  

Isn't that exactly what we've seen with Kitty and Mr. Edwards? She made it clear to him from the get-go that she wasn't going to be falling into bed with him.

I finally watched this last night, great season finale, but I too, am perplexed as to what exactly Rose's diagnosis is. I thought at first it had to be TB, which is why she was going to the countryside to convalesce but it seems fatal now? So what, cancer?

I didn't watch the first season (though I plan to soon)- does anyone know if Loxley really was physically abusive, or did Mae just say that to Selfridge to better explain why she had vouched for Loxley...?

Yes, Loxley has hit her, and IIRC there as an implied off-screen rape earlier this season, wasn't there?  He was menacing her, and dragged her to bed, or they were in the bedroom and the scene was left off with forced sex/rape being implied.  I think right after that, Mae had the locks changed on her bedroom door, that was what precipitated the lock change.

And yes, Mae's lady in waiting was with her at the Selfridge's house, Rose mentions them both being there safe and sound, I think her name is Pimple or something like that.

And yes, Mae's lady in waiting was with her at the Selfridge's house, Rose mentions them both being there safe and sound, I think her name is Pimple or something like that.

Ah, thanks.  I had a feeling Mae wouldn't leave her hanging, but I wasn't sure because I didn't see her.  

So I bought the DVDs from PBS and am re-watching the season at a more leisurely pace now. I do think the montage at the end that's set to "Danny Boy" is one of the highlights of the entire season. The photography is just gorgeous, particularly the shot in which Henri is in the police wagon, his face a study in shadows, and Harry at the very end, walking through the smoke and haze (presumably at the train station). Even the accompaniment in the soundtrack, with its minors and dissonances, is haunting and just right for what's happening on screen, And Alfie Boe's got the perfect voice for that song. Visually and aurally, the whole montage is just so very well put together. I've watched it probably half a dozen times now, and I don't get tired of it -- which is highly unusual for me!

I'm curious now whether Oliver Farnworth can actually play the violin, or just act the heck out of it! I'm a musician myself, but not a violinist, and to my eyes, he seems to do a very good job with it. 

I'm taking a lot of pleasure in picking up on the seeds planted in this episode that flower later, from Josie and Florian's attraction to one another (the scene in which she helps him with his formal attire is very nicely played) to the Agnes-Victor-Henri triangle. Interesting, too, that I now find myself really feeling for Harry, when he really got on my nerves in Season One. That final scene of uncertainty as he walks through the smoke just gets me.

Well done, show! 

(edited)

What a wonderfully stated post, Empressv! I agree with everything you said.

When I rewatched the whole season, one of my favorite things was watching the "seeds planted" as you say, of Josie and Florian's romance. There were subtle clues of blossoming romance all the way back in his first episode, for example, when he took her hands in his after playing the violin for her, Agnes, and Victor. I originally misinterpreted this as mutual -- but platonic -- affection, but the seeds of romance were indeed already being planted! And in the scene in this episode where she was helping him with his formal attire, they already looked like a pair that was headed out for a date, even though neither had yet acknowledged their feelings.  Ahh, such a wonderful romance and a marvelous season!

Edited by jordanpond

I agree completely on the pre-concert scene, jordanpond. From the moment when she pops up behind him and says, "Allow me," and starts fussing with his clothes without even waiting for a response, their interaction seems very much one of a long-term couple. The way she adjusts his waistcoat and assesses his appearance seems so wifely!

I do wish I could pin down the name of that lovely legato piano piece they used to bridge the transition between this scene and their arrival at the concert. It's pretty, and I'd like to hear the whole thing!

(edited)

Now that Season 2 is wrapped up, what's in store for Season 3? I've taken the liberty of allowing spoilers, although at this stage, little information, spoiler-y or otherwise, exists.

Edited by Empressv
(edited)

Meanwhile, here are a couple more articles from the British Daily Mail. They indicate Rose is gone (as pretty much everyone knew from the S2 finale), but

LeTowler fans can take heart: Henri Leclair apparently makes it back from France

:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2627141/SPOILER-ALERT-Hannah-Kara-Tointon-join-Jeremy-Piven-film-scenes-Mr-Selfridge-funeral-mother.html 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2622163/Mr-Selfridge-comforts-distressed-Henri-Leclair-film-scenes-ITV-dramas-series.html 

Edited by Empressv

I've been re-watching the series on DVD, which is why i'm commenting so long after the air date. With luck, someone else on here is re-watching it too!

Amanda Abbington shows some nice understated humor here, from her flustered reaction to learning Florian is in fact a man to her scene in the elevator with Mr. Grove. (Actually, both actor do a good job with the latter scene -- he realizes he's just said WAY too much and can't wait to get off the lift, and she just gets this look -- but it's very well done.) Even the dramatic scene with Florian as she presents him with the violin has a nice touch of humor, when he asks if the violin is hers and she looks down at it and starts as if she's forgotten she was holding it. And speaking of that scene, I thought Farnworth did well at conveying a lot of emotion in very few words.

I don't recall The Adventures of Mr. Thackeray, Boy Detective, bogging down the action when I first watched the episode on TV, but I did get somewhat bored with it on later re-watchings, I feel like that sequence could have been tightened up. At the very least, I wished Henri Leclair would turn around, spot him and beat him to a pulp on the street, Something about him -- possibly his meanness to Agnes in earlier episodes -- brings out my bloodthirsty side!

Responding to an earlier remark about Rose letting Harry back into her bed after she helps with the women's uniforms and goes shooting -- I thought that reaction was realistic. Nothing makes a person feel so good as being needed and competent and validated by the outside world. I could understand how, after feeling superfluous for so long, those events, combined with Harry's best efforts to woo her back, would make her feel like a vital part of the marriage once more. And that's sexy!

As for the card game, well, the actors must have had fun with that! 

(edited)

I had never heard of Amanda Abbington prior to this show, and I think she is just remarkable. Her facial expressions, tone of voice, body language, and everything are superb. In fact she's so great that I never even consciously noticed the facial expressions, etc., until my second viewing of the season. That to me is really the mark of great acting -- when someone uses her/his tone of voice, posture, facial expression,etc. so well and convey deep emotion to the audience so subtly that we forget it is acting! The storyline of her and Florian is good enough to draw me in, but their acting is what gives me goosebumps. I thought it was very touching when he was so cautiously handling the violin when she gave it to him. I agree with you that he was great. He first looked astonished at her generosity, then afraid to touch the violin because of all his sad memeries, then really hopeful that it could bring back nice memories, as she suggested. Marvelous. They made me really invested in their story.

I rather liked the Mr. Thackeray detective scenes. I thought the suspense of the whole Henri storyline was handled great this season. The mystery(ies) about him lasted throughout most of the season, but never got old for me because little pieces of his story kept getting revealed a bit at a time. An important piece was revealed in this episode's Thackeray spying scene -- about the mysterious woman returning to Germany -- so I think the scene served its purpose. On a more shallow note, these period dramas are giving me a great appreciation for the men's fashions of the times, and I loved watching Mr. Thackeray in his gorgeous camel coat following Henri who was sporting his fabulous purple vest.

Edited by jordanpond

I forgot to mention that another thing I found really interesting was how many people met each other for the first time during this particular episode. In addition to Josie meeting Florian, Harry met Bill Sumertime, and Gordon met Grace Calthorp.

Also, we in the audience were introduced to spunky Miss Ellis (of the loading bay), and we "met" the stunning Loxley dining room. Gorgeous!

Loved Kitty showing up at Frank's office and planting a kiss on him!