Type keyword(s) to search

Mr. Selfridge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Rose returns for the store's fifth anniversary; Agnes returns from Paris; Lord Loxley returns.

Note the episode numbers are different from the ones in the UK since PBS combines some episodes into one night.

Edited by maraleia
fixed date and added note

Well, it was fun to see everyone again, but I kind of thought last night's theme of ,"Men Are Beasts!" was a bit heavy handed. Only my dear Mr. Crabb remained sweet and worried.

It was fitting to see that Mr. Groves learned to be careful what you wish for, but his red headed babies were adorable. Miss Markel going away?  I hope she comes back soon and finds some happiness.

I absolutely hated seeing the fabulous Lady Mae humiliated. I'm rooting for a good poisoning there.

I liked the women's 1909 hairstyles better.

Kitty and Frank, hmmm.  I like them but I like Kitty and George better.

• Love 1

I think they spent too much time reintroducing the characters who survived to season 2.  Thankfully, Ellen Love not being one of them. 

JP has definitely dialed back the hamminess of season 1. 

Does going to a Brit school for a couple of years make you lose your American accent, Selfridge Jr.??

I know she's been on several things since, but I let out an out-loud "Attia of the Julii!" when Polly Walker showed up. I love her. (Both AotJ and PW.)

Does going to a Brit school for a couple of years make you lose your American accent, Selfridge Jr.??

Yes, if you do so before puberty. I quite liked that attention to detail.

I don't understand Harry Jr's English accent either, maybe to show he's putting on airs b/c he didn't look pleased working in the loading dock when he thought he'd be up in daddy's office.  I kind of want the daughters to come back to the UK with exaggerated Chi-cah-go accents.

The 1914 (wow that's 100 years ago) fashions and hairstyles are quite different from the show's start in 1909 with the big poufy updos, and now they are wearing sort of the pre-bob updo.  I know that women's fashion changed quite a bit between 1910 and the beginning of the 1920s, reflecting the changing roles of women.

Delphine's nightclub looked like an upscale whorehouse.  I suppose her novel was the 1914 version of "50 Shades."  

My favorite character is still Agnes, but she reminds me too much of Peggy on "Mad Men" -she and Elisabeth Moss even look somewhat alike.

The star of the show to me, is the department store set because it's so detailed.  

Delphine's nightclub looked like an upscale whorehouse.  I suppose her novel was the 1914 version of "50 Shades."

I honestly thought we were going to get some kind of reveal that it was a sex club, or that she was a high class madame.  I was surprised it ended up just being a nightclub with a whorehouse decorating scheme. 

• Love 2

The star of the show to me, is the department store set because it's so detailed.

The star of the show to me is the art director. And the costume designer. And the lighting director. And the hair and makeup designer (except for the Piv's atrocious rug, which now seems to have a pie-crust fillip around the front). Kudos to the cast for doing their best with the ham-fisted dialogue and plotting, which I find surprising since it's (partly) from Andrew Davies, he of Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House, Little Dorrit and *so* much more. I really should just watch it with the sound off.

But, hey, I completely forgot that "Sherlock"'s Mary Morstan plays Miss Mardle. And it took me half an hour to decide if Delphine was Polly Walker. (Oh, "Rome," you are missed...) Finally, bonjour, M. Leclair. I'm on S3 of Engrenages/Spiral, so you're in my living room a lot these days. And I'm fiiiine with that...

My favorite bit:

Mr. Grove: I'm drunk!

Mr. Crabb: How pleasant.

Good to see Grove hurting after what he did to Miss Mardle. I hope she rubs his face in it.

Lord Loxley looks to be a very good villain; smearing the egg yolk on Lady Mae's face was weird though.

Polly Walker! The show's sexiness factor just got ramped up to 11. I wonder about Delphine's intentions after Lady Mae's warning.

Anyone else confused over Henri LeClair's apartment layout? It's clearly on an upper floor of the building, yet we can see children in the street at window level. Set designer oversight?

I know she's been on several things since, but I let out an out-loud "Attia of the Julii!" when Polly Walker showed up. I love her. (Both AotJ and PW.)

Me too!  I saw her name in the credits and I was so happy to see her.  Of course her role on "Rome" makes me suspect of her every move & every sentence she utters.

JP does seem to have dialed it back a bit, thank goodness.  I never liked Rose last season and I still don't. 

After seeing the PBS special on the real  Harry Selfridge & his family, I know a little about their fates.  I keep looking for signs of foreshadowing, but that's what I get for "reading ahead".

This was my first time watching this show, so I appreciated that they gave some amount of exposition to the characters.  I know it would have annoyed me if I had seen the first season but since I didn't, I was reasonably satisfied.  That said, I still don't know what most of them are named and I'm only guessing at what kind of people they are.

My favorite character is still Agnes, but she reminds me too much of Peggy on "Mad Men" -she and Elisabeth Moss even look somewhat alike.

Yes!  Thank you!  It was bugging me the whole episode, I kept wondering where I knew the actress from.

I can't figure out what I'm supposed to understand about the relationship between Selfridge and his wife, who may or may not be named Rose.  He seems to adore her but clearly he cheats on her.  Can somebody help?

I can't figure out what I'm supposed to understand about the relationship between Selfridge and his wife, who may or may not be named Rose.  He seems to adore her but clearly he cheats on her.  Can somebody help?

That seems to be the age old question - why do men cheat?  B/C they can!

Despite loving Rose, Harry always seems to have side dish and she got tired of it.  Last season, she almost had an affair with a starving artist, and of course Harry didn't like it, so she moved back to Chicago.  It looks like she wants to be Mrs. Selfridge in name only.  

They all looked so good in those pre-war hairdos it should have started a fashion trend. Agnes especially looks more ordinary now.

One great thing about this show is the way they made Lady Mae a Machiavellian...heroine!  And now the unlikely victim of some awfully realistically presented domestic violence in the bad old days when it was acceptable.

This is an absolutely fascinating show, and I agree that the department store is really one of the stars. 

• Love 1

Thanks, apgold!  I thought maybe she was gay and wouldn't sleep with him and that's why he runs around so much.  Her instant and rather intimate friendship with Delphine seemed awfully intense, and with all the emphasis that was put on Delphine being sexually adventurous, I thought that was what was implied.  

Amused by the mistress with the unlimited charge card was named Miss Spender.

Gotta find myself a site where they've recapped the first season episodes so I can catch up.

with all the emphasis that was put on Delphine being sexually adventurous

Speaking of which . . . did I spy two women dancing with each other at Delphine's club? Both wearing men's suits?

Speaking of which . . . did I spy two women dancing with each other at Delphine's club? Both wearing men's suits?

I caught that too. Since nobody made a big deal about it, I'm assuming Delphine occupied a very tolerant circle. Her place seemed very Bohemian.

I saw that and so my first impression was that it's a gay club, and so that's part of what confused me about the friendship between Delphine and Rose.  Then I saw that it was full of all kinds of couples, but wonder if my original inference was what the show intended.  Maybe their relationship will go in that direction?

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Agreed that JP's scaled back version of Selfridge is a big improvement.

I, too, thought Delphine's was going to turn out to be a high class house of ill repute. The writers must have wanted to keep us guessing -- though I couldn't fathom Rose wanting to be friends with a Madam. Loved Kitty's tango dance sequence converging with the Selfridge-Union fight -- electric.

Glad Henri is back this season. Not sure I want to see him rekindle romance with A though. I kinda see him more with Delphine.

Hate Lord Loxley! He is a deliciously evil character. The way he smeared that egg yolk on Lady Mae's mouth made me burn with all kinds of wrathful thoughts. I'd rather be smacked. Bastid!

I don't understand Harry Jr's English accent either, maybe to show he's putting on airs b/c he didn't look pleased working in the loading dock when he thought he'd be up in daddy's office.  I kind of want the daughters to come back to the UK with exaggerated Chi-cah-go accents.

The 1914 (wow that's 100 years ago) fashions and hairstyles are quite different from the show's start in 1909 with the big poufy updos, and now they are wearing sort of the pre-bob updo.  I know that women's fashion changed quite a bit between 1910 and the beginning of the 1920s, reflecting the changing roles of women.

Delphine's nightclub looked like an upscale whorehouse.  I suppose her novel was the 1914 version of "50 Shades."  

Is the son attending boarding school in the UK (I've been watching on and off)?  Kids don't like to be different, so adopting the accent might be a way to fit in. 

Yes, it's my understanding that a great part of what the British boarding school system is all about is assuring that the youth speak with the proper posh accent. If Harry Jr. had persisted on speaking like an American he would probably have been politely beaten up.

I lived in England for three years as an American military wife and even I barely made it home with my hillbilly twang intact.

• Love 1

I'm so happy for Miss Mardle! For the house and fortune, sure, but mainly for that little wave at the top of her hair do that lifts her face and keeps her from looking so forlorn all the time!

I'm liking this season so much better than the first one. Mr. Selfridge is starting to seem like a real person and not a blustering rich man in a Three Stooges comedy.

Rose is getting on my last nerve, though, either cook or get out of the kitchen, and quit talking in that sad die-away voice.

I hope Rose gets shipped back to America ASAP.  I didn't like her character or the actress last season, and there's been no improvement this season. I can't stand the weep cry-baby voice either. It's almost as bad as Kitty's squeaky little Betty Boop voice.

I'm happy for Miss Mardle too, but would a "woman of independent means" keep working at the store?

(edited)

Maybe working at the store is how Miss Mardle meets Dr. Watson!

Hee! :-)  I didn't even recognize the actress as Mary from Sherlock until I read a post on here a few days ago. She looks so frumpy and down in Mr. Selfridge and in Sherlock she always looked really cute and vibrant. Now that things are looking up for Miss Mardle it looks like she'll get a bit of a well-deserved makeover.

Agree with a lot of the sentiments about Rose. How long is she going to keep punishing Harry? Yes, he was an ass for having all of those affairs but she could have left - and she, in fact, did leave for several years it sounds like. I don't condone his behavior but he seems to be trying to make up for it (though its highly likely he'll slip again). She also almost had an affair of her own last season. I wish she would either quit pouting or go back to America if she really can't forgive him and allow them to move on with their life together. It is a difficult choice to make, but I wish she would pick one as this in between stage is making the character completely annoying.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1
I'm happy for Miss Mardle too, but would a "woman of independent means" keep working at the store?

I suppose in Miss Mardle's case, what else does she have?  If she quit her job, she'd become pretty isolated pretty quickly. 

And I feel like I'm missing something with Mr. Thackery.  I understand that Agnes pissed him off with her display the other week, but he seems way too invested in trying to bring her down.  Did I miss it where she took his job, or she is the only thing standing in his way for a promotion? 

I am struck by how different many of the actors look as compared to last season.  I don't know if it's the hair or the makeup or what, but Mae, Agnes, and Josie don't even seem to be the same people. 

It would have been poetic justice if Roger had lost his job at the same time Josie was shown to be a woman of substance.  I wonder if something bad is going to happen to Doris.

Episode 3 needed more Delphine, who for some reason seemed awfully thrilled when she announced England was at war.

I'm eagerly awaiting Lord Loxley's comeuppance. Maybe Mr. Bates will make a cameo appearance and push him in front of a double decker. :)

I find the awkward romance between Frank and Kitty fun to follow, but her Marilyn-Monroe-meets-Betty-Boop voice is getting to me.

• Love 1
Episode 3 needed more Delphine, who for some reason seemed awfully thrilled when she announced England was at war.

It seemed like everyone was anticipating it was going to happen, so for it to actually happen, broke the tension and was probably a relief in some sense. 

(edited)

Frances O'Conner's voice as Rose actually reminds me quite a bit like Elizabeth McGovern's Cora Crawley (Downton Abbey).

Loving more screen time with Henri LeClair -- his character just really lights up the whole series for me. I have to wonder what prevents him from wanting to return to his old position as Creative Director and why he isn't sharing his plans with anyone. He made it sound like Agnes would not approve.

Miss Mardle looks less dowdy this episode. Hope the extra income and financial independence means she'll get an interesting storyline and perhaps a new relationship.

I want Harry and Rose to have an intimate and loving relationship with some sparks this season.

Edited by msblossom

I think the girl is either a friend of the family or a distant relative. She's made several bold attempts to gain Victors interest, so I'm glad she finally saw how much he loves Agnes. I'm so relieved he's not going to war.

Don't go George! Poor George is already shell-shocked from having that drunken brute for a father, I just can't imagine someone so fragile in the trenches.

I hate seeing Lady Mae lie to Harry.

Will Miss Martle soon have a handsome Belgian lover with whom to share her fortune? She's really coming into her own and I hope once Agnes moves in she will uncover the furniture and really enjoy her house.

I hate to say it but I sort of want Rose to go back to America. The real Mr. Selfridge had a long torrid affair with a burlesque queen, spending so much money on emeralds and gambling debts for her, that he bankrupted himself and the store. I think that would make for some very good TV.

I wish Rose would disappear.  To bad she couldn't enlist and go off to France.

It was so sad to see all the Selfridge men line up to go off to war.  The statistics aren't in their favor.  All wars are tragic and traumatic but reading some history on WW I really was eye opening as to level of the brutality those soldiers experienced.  I like how every movie or TV show about a war shows some wise scion of society stating "Oh, don't worry! This will be over in a few months/by Christmas!".  Ummm...ever hear of something called history? Even up til WW I, wars lasted several years and the British should know better than any population! Let's see...there's the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Napoleonic Wars, the Boer War, the Boxer Rebellion...and a small skirmish known as the Hundred YEARS War!!

So we know George has a crush on Kitty, but isn't she interested in the newspaper guy?  I don't want her leading poor George on!  Although, truth be told, I feel like George may not be back.

When they introduced the Belgian chocolatier as Neuhaus, I squeaked a little. A Neuhaus shop opened last spring in my work neighborhood. I can confirm firsthand that stuff is The Awesome. I've been meaning to stop off to pick up some bunnies...

Great to see Anthony Howell from Foyle's War as the chocolatier, he's an under-appreciated actor.

Yes, George is a goner. That or he'll return so horribly traumatized he'll have to be hospitalized. I don't think he's serious about Kitty, even though they had a date last season. Seems to be more of a friendly flirting kind of thing.

I think Lady Mae is pissed at Delphine and is scheming to upset her friendship with Rose, though that would seem unnecessarily mean to Rose.

So what kind of trouble is LeClair in anyway?  Is he involved with organized crime?  Would like to know what happened to him while he was away.

The women being orgasmic regarding the chocolate was a bit overdone, especially Miss Mardle.  I'm glad she found a use for her large house, and look forward to her and Agnes being housemates.  

It will be interesting to see what new female characters come on board to replace the men who are off to war.

And yes, bye George, it was nice knowing ya.

Is Victor married to the Italian girl? I keep getting mixed signals.

The girl (Isabella, I think her name is?) is the daughter of Uncle Joe's best friend, if I remember correctly. They aren't married, though I think Agnes certainly has the impression that the two of them are seriously involved given her reaction when she first saw them together at Joe's Birthday Party and then again when she quickly removed her hand from Victor's in the last episode when Isabella walked in.

I wish Rose would disappear.  To bad she couldn't enlist and go off to France.

She could join the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD). Many women did and served as Nurses near the fighting areas (as well as helping out with numerous other programs both abroad and at home), though I don't know that Rose would be really cut out for that kind of work. Anything they can do to minimize her time on the show would be fine with me though.

I love that Miss Mardle is really coming into her own now and realizing that she can have a much better life than she ever would have had with Mr. Grove. I really hope something happens between her and the Belgian Chocolatier or that she finds another worthy love interest soon.

Edited by Rapunzel

Young Englishmen are off to war, and Harry’s son, Gordon, is itching to enlist. Only fifteen, he is assigned to man the tea counter at the store instead. Harry is also itching to do something war-related and angles for a spot on the government’s military procurement committee. Meanwhile, Miss Mardle has invited Agnes to share her new home and welcomes a Belgian refugee as well. Mr. Thackeray, head of fashion, gives himself a special war assignment: get to the bottom of Henri’s suspicious behavior!

Discuss away.

Business carries on at Selfridges, where German-made goods are being replaced with English products. Harry organizes a patriotic concert to benefit the troops, featuring a popular music hall tenor (portrayed by Alfie Boe) who gets Lady Mae (his former stage partner) to join him. Miss Mardle's new lodger, a Belgian violinist, also participates in the concert, raising some eyebrows. Amid the festivities, a complex drama unfolds that sets the future course of events for Henri and Harry—all while the unsuspecting audience sings “It’s a Long Way to Tipperary.” It’s a very long way indeed.

Discuss away.

Discussing Harry’s mysterious disappearance on a business trip to the Continent, Kitty tells Frank: “It’s like he’s vanished into thin air!” During the chief’s absence, Henri lands in trouble, one of the staff is killed at the front, Josie finds unexpected joy, and Frank publishes a shocking scandal. As if that isn’t enough, Rose faces a falling out with those close to her, and bad news arrives about another soldier on the staff.

Discuss away.

Harry returns, making a revelation concerning the press rumors surrounding his absence. Delphine creates a stir by arranging a spending spree by Keystone Studios head Mack Sennett, his biggest star, Mabel Normand, and a bevy of Sennett bathing beauties, who are all on a junket to London. Meanwhile, Henri is spared a legal dilemma only to land in a romantic one. Miss Mardle also faces a love quandry, and Lady Mae has trouble exiting from her miserable marriage.

Discuss away.

Tempers flare as Harry and Loxley face off, Miss Mardle gives Mr. Grove a tongue-lashing, Victor and Henri clash, Kitty tells Frank to shape up, and Delphine finds her influence wavering. Meanwhile, an American journalist searches for the happy side of Selfridges, the store promotes “the comforts of home,” Agnes gets her fifteen minutes of fame, Mr. Grove gets a long-sought heir, and Lady Mae manages to save the day.

The season ends with an American-style Thanksgiving feast at the Selfridge mansion, where there is much to be thankful for—and challenges still to face.

Discuss away.

Lord Loxley is a smarmy jagbag. When he hit Lady Loxley I wanted to jump through the TV and throttle him.

The characters look different because season 2 is supposed to be 5 years after season one ended.

Rose has bugged the heck out of me from the start. She tries to come off as this delicate flower, but she's a total B itch

It was great for Miss Mardle, but didn't you feel sad for her when she was sitting alone at that big table, eating her oatmeal? She looked so lonely.

LittleIggy, odious is the PERFECT word!  I want Lady Mae to get away with his murder!  Yes, of course he would be a poor loser at cards, and a poor winner, too.

I usually holler at the tv when he is on-screen.   

• Love 1

Rose was a bit Mary Sue-ish in this episode.  She shoots rifles and can hit the target!  She can feminize the women's work clothing!  And of course all of this made her happy enough to let Harry back into her bedroom.

Thackery is certainly out of step with the times.  Instead of following LeClair around, perhaps he should mind his own business and get some clothing the customers want to wear.

Happy for Victor and Agnes being on the same page, finally.  Will he quit Selfridges to run the restaurant?  I can't imagine him being able to do both.

I was glad that Ms. Mardle didn't throw out the Belgian violinist after all.  Is it my imagination, or did he seem to be getting a crush on her or was he just grateful for her kindness?

I wish Loxley wasn't such a cliche of a villain - all he needs is a mustache to twirl.  

Edited by apgold