Type keyword(s) to search

Covers: The Good, The Bad, The Meh

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Songza has a playlist called "Acoustic Versions of Pop Songs" which is 90% covers. It's my favourite playlist, but there are only about two dozen songs and I've gone through them all several times now. They have a lot of Boyce Avenue. It's a good bedtime playlist I've found.

In any case, I discovered a few cover artists and bands on there including Michael Schulte's - Whatcha Say cover. Infinitely better than the original Jason Derulo version:

(edited)

I loved Scritti Politti's Perfect Way, but had my mind blown when Miles Davis did a cover.

All I could think was how cool is it to have Miles-Freakin'-Davis cover your song?

ETA:  For the record, if Miles Davis covers you (and he's covered a lot of artists) that should be engraved on your headstone.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I just heard a doG awful cover of I'm on Fire yesterday.  I have no idea who did it, but it was entirely too smooth.  I don't even like Bruse Springsteen that much, but that was all kinds of wrong.

Looking up who has covered it, there are lots of hideous ones out there.  It occurred to me, I would have liked a Chris Isaak cover of it - he can do smooth, but he can also bring some grit to it.

I found myself listening to a 60s British band called, The Rockin' Berries.  They're all but unknown in the US as they never did any original music - but they did do some good covers.  One was called, "Funny How Love Can Be" (1965) which was originally written and recorded by another group called, The Ivy League (1965).

I listened to both versions and they come almost to a draw.  IMO, I prefer the Berries' version - albeit slightly.

Rockin' Berries VS Ivy League

Of course Three Dog Night's Danny Hutton recorded a very different version circa 1966 but it doesn't grab me.  I do give him credit for trying something different like using medieval instruments and speeding up the tempo.

Thoughts?

I just heard a doG awful cover of I'm on Fire yesterday.  I have no idea who did it, but it was entirely too smooth.  I don't even like Bruse Springsteen that much, but that was all kinds of wrong.

Looking up who has covered it, there are lots of hideous ones out there.  It occurred to me, I would have liked a Chris Isaak cover of it - he can do smooth, but he can also bring some grit to it.

Chris Isaak can probably cover just about anything.  Just sayin'.

• Love 3

I found myself listening to a 60s British band called, The Rockin' Berries.  They're all but unknown in the US as they never did any original music - but they did do some good covers.  One was called, "Funny How Love Can Be" (1965) which was originally written and recorded by another group called, The Ivy League (1965).

I listened to both versions and they come almost to a draw.  IMO, I prefer the Berries' version - albeit slightly.

Rockin' Berries VS Ivy League

Of course Three Dog Night's Danny Hutton recorded a very different version circa 1966 but it doesn't grab me.  I do give him credit for trying something different like using medieval instruments and speeding up the tempo.

Thoughts?

Another vote for the Berries version.  Reminds me a little of The Shins.

(edited)

Don't lecture me too much but... I love the Dixie Chicks's cover of "Landslide". I think the harmonizing and banjo playing are an interesting juxtaposition that work well with the melancholy lyrics, making song more bittersweet than the original. Also, it's mostly for nostalgia reasons (never underestimate the power of nostalgia).

Josh Groban's latest album has taken up practically permanent residence in my car CD player ('cause I'm a dork), and I love, love, love his rendition of "Over the Rainbow". By God, he sells it. I think it's right up there with Eva Cassidy and Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole's versions as my favorite, non-Judy Garland version.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

Been back to the iPod again - with covers of "Take  A Giant Step" by The Rockin' Berries and "Pineapple Princess" by Na Leo.

Take A Giant Step was originally recorded by The Monkees but this was the first time hearing a cover by someone else.  It's actually quite good  - it's produced very differently than the Monkees version but enjoyable.  Carole King's version (actually, a demo) sounds very "country" to me but a bit closer to the Berries' version.

Pineapple Princess was made popular by Annette Funicello but I didn't hear her version until after I head Na Leo's version during a trip to Hawaii.  No contest, Na Leo's version is better of the two.  Funicello's version seems way over produced.

Anybody remember Joe? He's the guy who sang that song about he wants to know what turns you on and whatever in the late 90s. He was on the "Thank God I Found You" remix by Mariah Carey.

Anyway, he's...got a knack for taking songs by women and giving them a masculine overhaul.

and...yeah, it's kinda awesome. Aaaand
His live rendition of WBT is better than any rendition Mariah's done outside of the original, and that song is ten years old (can you believe it?!) Oh, and coincidentally he reworks the lyrics on BHC and name-checks Mariah.

Yikes!  Just heard a cover of the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams on the car radio yesterday.  Have no idea who did it, but the lead was song by a guy and it was way slowed down.  All I can picture was some group of emo kids trying to be "dark".

Word to the wise:  You can't get cooler than Annie Lennox in looks and 'tude.  Her voice was perfect for her style of music.  Anyone that invites comparison to her and the Eurthymics (cause Dave Stewart was so effortlessly cool) by covering their music is going to suffer by that comparison.

• Love 3

Yikes!  Just heard a cover of the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams on the car radio yesterday.  Have no idea who did it, but the lead was song by a guy and it was way slowed down.  All I can picture was some group of emo kids trying to be "dark".

Word to the wise:  You can't get cooler than Annie Lennox in looks and 'tude.  Her voice was perfect for her style of music.  Anyone that invites comparison to her and the Eurthymics (cause Dave Stewart was so effortlessly cool) by covering their music is going to suffer by that comparison.

Marilyn Manson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7cPgonpbwo

I totally agree with you on this. 

There are two Marylin Manson songs that I like and one of them was his cover of Tainted Love.

Imagine my surprise when I learned how many versions of "Hush" were recorded!

Deep Purple's version is the best known and was the biggest hit.

Turns out Billy Joe Royal did a version before they did.

Joe South, who originally wrote the tune recorded his own version.

Kula Shaker did a spirited cover.

Not to be forgotten, is this version by Johnny Hallyday - in French!    From what I've read, he was really big in the French music circles.

Deep Purple's version is produced a bit more smoothly compared to Royal's version, but it's not bad.  I prefer Joe South's vocals however.

Heard this for the first (and hopefully last) time tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLMlBS3pnb0

I remember when that first came out (I'm old.)  The recording sounds much better than this youtube version.  I think Jose Feliciano's cover did very well on the charts at that time.  I really liked both the original and the cover even though they're sung differently.  (Kind of like "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" being sung differently by Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight & The Pips, yet I enjoyed them both.)    

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Have been a lurker for a while. Was a member of TWOP under a different name.

Canadian, fan of UK alternative bands. Many of these covers are unknown to North Americans.

Manic Street Preachers - Umbrella (the rock version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-wZ5uY0_o

Manic Street Preachers - Umbrella (acoustic and unplugged)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxBXNqWorY

Last Christmas (James Dean Bradfield - TFI Friday/WHAM original)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naiYu9KtA4I

Manic Street Preachers - Suicide is Painless/Theme from MASH (Top of the Pops)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjBIJXXZRBQ

Out of Time - James Dean Bradfield (Jools Holland/Chris Farlowe/Rolling Stones)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_iEkDWgOIs

This is the Day - Manic Street Preachers (The The cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_TfAGPqKM

Edited by Frozendiva

OMG, Feliciano's version is one of my most favorite songs ever and yes, Ohwell,  the actual recorded version that charted does sound 100% better.  It's proof that any song can be sung in any other genre than its original. 

Can I just say that I stumbled upon Kelly Clarkson doing a cover of Demi Lovato's current  "Cool for The Summer" in a more bluesy/R & B kind of way and it's pretty good. She also does Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason" and that impressed the hell out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN66KH4lr0I

One of my favorite 60's pop tunes is Dusty Springfield's "I Only Want To Be With You"  and a great cover, done in a totally different way is by Shelby Lynne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOynm3D88e8  Not much personlity in this performance but the arrangement is quite different.

I love The Killers' version of Romeo and Juliet originally by Dire Straits.

I hadn't heard the version by The Killers - I like them both a lot.   

Speaking of the Killers, I love their cover of Cole Porter's  Don't Fence Me In.  It's not a song you expect to get covered by a rock band and come out sounding cool!

It was also used for a Nevada tourism commercial.

I have a cover of Don't Fence Me In by Willie Nelson and Leon Russell that I like a little more than The Killers' but theirs comes in a close second. 

Here's Strummer and Johnny Cash.

This is on my iPod and I'd forgotten about it.  Thanks for the refresh!  I downloaded a bunch of Johnny Cash covers that must have sounded good at the time, but now when they pop up, some of them - like If You Could Read My Mind, Desperado, In My Life -  sound positively goofy.  Personal Jesus, Hurt, and God's Gonna Cut You Down are on there to stay, though.   

Edited by harrie

Tough call on this one. Which version of "Head On" is better. The original by The Jesus and Mary Chain...

or the cover version by The Pixies?

Gotta go with the original, though I like both.

I like Nine Inch Nails' cover of "Dead Souls" better than the original. And I won't say The Watson Twins' cover of "Just Like Heaven" is better than the original, but it's amazing in it's own right.

BETTER than the original?  Probably not.  But Britney Spears covering Suzanne Vega--seemingly the most bizarre idea ever--actually kind of works (actually it's "Giorgio Moroder ft. Britney Spears" because it's one of those lame Euro things where a DJ claims main ownership of a song and the person actually singing is second fiddle).

Heard two of my favorite covers today - Cheap Trick's Ain't that a Shame (original Fats Domino) and The Honeydripper's Sea of Love (original Phil Phillips). 

I like the originals on these too.  This is one of the only songs I like Robert Plant on (the other being Misty Mountain Hop).

I know this is probably blasphemy, but I prefer the Christina Aguilera/Lil Kim/Mya/Pink version of "Lady Marmalade" to the original Labelle version.

I think it's mostly just that I....think of this version more? It came out when I was in 5th grade and it was HUGE. And I love that Lil Kim rap (plus I just love Christina).

• Love 1
I know this is probably blasphemy, but I prefer the Christina Aguilera/Lil Kim/Mya/Pink version of "Lady Marmalade" to the original Labelle version.

I don't know about prefer it, but I love it.  Their voices are all great on it, and sound good together.

• Love 2

I find that recently, I've been listening to Joe Cocker's version of "Come Together" more than The Beatles.  

Aerosmith also covered Come Together, and with all respect to the late Mr. Cocker, I think Steven Tyler's voice fits the song better:

And since other posters have mentioned both Johnny Cash and Guns N' Roses:

I don't know if I would call Horton Heat's version of Get Rhythm better than the original, but it's hard to top Cash. And G N R's Human Being has a lot more energy than the New York Dolls' version.

• Love 1

I am on a rewatch of House MD (from watching it sporadically over the years live) right now, and at the beginning and end of the latest episode I just watched (S2E2) came Elvis Costello's version of Christina Aguilera's Beautiful and I was simply blown away.  I never saw this episode so this song has been hanging out there in the world with me never ever hearing it.

Seems Elvis recorded his version just for the TV Series.

• Love 1

I really like Elvis Costello's version of "Days" by The Kinks. But to be honest, I heard Costello's version first; I didn't learn it was a cover until much later.

Costello:

Kinks:

Previously mentioned in this thread - Michael Andrews and Gary Jules version of Mad World. They took an 80's electronic pop song and created something so emotionally honest. Just lovely.

• Love 1

I know this is decades old and it was supposed to be a joke/spoof (complete with a video featuring both performers playing themselves supposedly having a torrid affair) . HOWEVER  I always thought  Bette Midler DID sing 'Beast of Burden' better than 'anyone'( including Mick Jagger) if for no other reason than she genuinely sounded as though she was rebelling against that condition that had been imposed on her rather than just whining about being asked to be monogamous.

One of my favorite covers is You Really Got Me, originally by the Kinks, covered by Van Halen.

Van Halen did some good Kinks covers as their version of "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" is a standout (maybe not better than the original but damn close in my opinion.)

I much, much prefer Eric Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff" to Bob Marley's original.

• Love 3