Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: He Said, She Said

If anything the reality show gave Dean exposure.  Seriously, before the past few years and the much-publicized scandals, plenty of people knew who Tori was, but was Dean really that well-known outside of Canada?  I'm sure he can find some way to cash in on his notoriety.

Oh honestly, Dean-O, I am so not even fucking with you when I say that 99.9% of the time I don't even remember your last name.

You are and will always be "Dean, husband of Tori Spelling."

Them's the breaks, dude.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 5

Despite his challenges in both areas, Dean is the most famous and the most rich he's ever been since he hooked up with Tori. I'm sure he hoped/planned for more when they got together, but he's still doing pretty well, really.

• Love 3

I thought that maybe 15-in-6th-grade was a Canadian thing, like their grade system is different? Any Canadians in the house?

Canadian here, and 6th graders are definitely not 15. More like 11. Of course if he took the short bus to school, there's probably a lot more variation in ages there.

• Love 4

Canadian here, and 6th graders are definitely not 15. More like 11. Of course if he took the short bus to school, there's probably a lot more variation in ages there.

In that case, I'm going back to my initial impression that Dean was playing the Dead Mother Card in order to get control of the scene. "Yes, I did well in school until 6th grade. My mom died when I was 15..." [four years after that] It's a well worn Deano tactic to play one of his "cards" ("My brain wants me dead!" is one of my personal favorites) when he needs to move the conversation in the direction of pitying him/letting him be the center of attention. He was very effective in doing that in the guru scene and the guru ended up being an excellent scene partner. Tori was reduced to looking sad and rubbing Dean's leg while those two hammed it up, which must have annoyed her.

• Love 12

Tori was reduced to looking sad and rubbing Dean's leg while those two hammed it up, which must have annoyed her.

YES! She most certainly looked annoyed. Like, "Oh, here we go again. It's all about him." Just as she explained to Dr. W that the night her father died, Dean made it all about HIS feelings about her father being dead. I thought she looked exhausted by Dean's dramatic performance (which proved MJ right -- he's EXHAUSTING).

• Love 7

I think Dean is going to get paid handsomely for putting up with the shit show.  He knows he's a laughing stock, he probably will never be taken seriously as an actor and Tori is doing her best to make sure no other woman will ever want him.  He sold his soul to the devil, and I think some big Spelling money is going to come his way.  Seriously, what man would put up with Tori and her reality shows? After season one, he got to live on the beach, and we all remember that was one of his barf bag wishes. Now he's waiting for a big payoff, IMO, and I think Tori and her mom are closer than they want us to believe.  Candy supposedly gave each grandchild 10 million at birth, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to give Dean the same amount to let  Tori's reputation  be restored, after she tried to sell everyone on what a great marriage she had.  We've been shown that Dean is a lying, cheating, alcoholic, non-nurturing, selfish horrible parent who didn't deserve the magnificent Tori Spelling.  This will be Dean's finest acting job and it will pay the most.

From this week's episode, all I got was, Dean's breakdown made me realize he really does have tiny little eyes.  While he was bawling, I kept thinking that maybe that's why Tori married him, so that her children would have a chance at some normal sized eyes between them. They do have cute kids, something worked.  I don't know, but he was so much better looking when married to Mary Jo.  Tori has sucked the life out of him, he looks awful now. 

• Love 6

I think Dean is going to get paid handsomely for putting up with the shit show.  He knows he's a laughing stock, he probably will never be taken seriously as an actor and Tori is doing her best to make sure no other woman will ever want him.  He sold his soul to the devil, and I think some big Spelling money is going to come his way.  Seriously, what man would put up with Tori and her reality shows? After season one, he got to live on the beach, and we all remember that was one of his barf bag wishes. Now he's waiting for a big payoff, IMO, and I think Tori and her mom are closer than they want us to believe.  Candy supposedly gave each grandchild 10 million at birth, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to give Dean the same amount to let  Tori's reputation  be restored, after she tried to sell everyone on what a great marriage she had.  We've been shown that Dean is a lying, cheating, alcoholic, non-nurturing, selfish horrible parent who didn't deserve the magnificent Tori Spelling.  This will be Dean's finest acting job and it will pay the most.

From this week's episode, all I got was, Dean's breakdown made me realize he really does have tiny little eyes.  While he was bawling, I kept thinking that maybe that's why Tori married him, so that her children would have a chance at some normal sized eyes between them. They do have cute kids, something worked.  I don't know, but he was so much better looking when married to Mary Jo.  Tori has sucked the life out of him, he looks awful now. 

I've always thought that about Dean's eyes, I call them "beady". The older 2 kids look just like him & the younger 2 look like Tori. 

Did Tori really think that the Dean's ex was going to want to help her with her issues? Tori totally lied to Dean, she said she was meeting Mary about issues with Jack. I wonder why Mary brought the letter when she was going to talk about her son. My guess is Tori told her what she wanted to talk about. Mary played it off like she was understanding & a kind person but she know what she was saying & implying & rightfully so. She doesn't owe Tori anything, not an ounce of sympathy.

While, I feel Dean is a tool, I do fell somewhat bad for him at times. He cannot do anything right, not even have an opinion. It's like she has him on the show to humiliate & beat him down over & over. Every time he's asked a question & he answers it, she makes faces & knocks him down. I get it, he cheated, but if you decide to stay with him you have to work on making it better not torture him endlessly. 

• Love 4
In that case, I'm going back to my initial impression that Dean was playing the Dead Mother Card in order to get control of the scene. "Yes, I did well in school until 6th grade. My mom died when I was 15..." [four years after that]

Does anyone know how his mom died? I tried Googling it and couldn't come up with anything. Perhaps she had cancer and was sick for a long time? So he STARTED doing badly when she got sick, but she died many years later? Just taking a stab at making sense of the nonsensical. 

• Love 1

Tori totally lied to Dean, she said she was meeting Mary about issues with Jack.  If you're truly trying to make your marriage work, you don't discuss problems with your husband with his ex-wife.

Oh….I didn’t know the big meeting was supposed to be about Jackie-Boy.  That’s foul.  What was worse was her coming home and pissing on the parade of Dean, who cleaned the house/cooked dinner/made sure the kids finished their homework, along with giving her a bouquet of flowers with a sweet note…like I said, house of fuckin’ doom!

While, I feel Dean is a tool, I do fell somewhat bad for him at times. He cannot do anything right, not even have an opinion. It's like she has him on the show to humiliate & beat him down over & over. Every time he's asked a question & he answers it, she makes faces & knocks him down. I get it, he cheated, but if you decide to stay with him you have to work on making it better not torture him endlessly.

The first season was about labeling him as a douchey cheater….what in the bluedilly fuck is season two supposed to be about?  ‘Cause if she’s still going to see him as the douchey cheater with no ownership on her own issues then it is time to throw in the towel; in fact, I would be majorly surprised if they are still together by mid 2015.

And yes, Deano....you're a regular DeNiro.

It is shit like this that makes me laugh hysterically, aw man!  ‘Great’ actor?  Yeah, like Always and Forever/Mind Over Murder were Oscar worthy roles.

Just have to say that everything that Mehran said up until agreeing with guru visit was on point. Tori could barely look at him while he was telling her like it is.

Off topic, but when did Mehi become so fuckable looking?  Damn, he was smoking hot in his scenes.  Anywhoodle, I’m wondering if there are cracks in their friendship….when Tori mentioned that he likely didn’t respect her anymore he sho ‘nuff on the gitdown didn’t deny it.  I was shaking the tambourine at what he had to say until he agreed about her seeing Guru Shamalamabibbitybobbity.

Finally, Dean is selfish, Tori?  Really?  Pot, meet muhfuckin’ kettle!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 7
Oh….I didn’t know the big meeting was supposed to be about Jackie-Boy.  That’s foul.  What was worse was her coming home and pissing on the parade of Dean, who cleaned the house/cooked dinner/made sure the kids finished their homework, along with giving her a bouquet of flowers with a sweet note…like I said, house of fuckin’ doom!

Well, I actually assumed that Dean did half of that because he KNEW his wife meeting with MJ might not go well for him. It seemed like he wanted to butter her up. He just happens to buy flowers and write a little note on THAT day? But you are right, it is a house of doom. Flowers aside, I have a feeling that making the dinner and keeping the kids in line comes a lot more naturally to Dean than to Tori. When she's there, she sucks all the fun out and you just want to lay under the covers and do nothing. But if she steps out and gives them all some room to breathe, things probably run a lot smoother. At least Dean can do more than badly nuke a potato. 

• Love 2

The first season was about labeling him as a douchey cheater….what in the bluedilly fuck is season two supposed to be about?  ‘Cause if she’s still going to see him as the douchey cheater with no ownership on her own issues then it is time to throw in the towel; in fact, I would be majorly surprised if they are still together by mid 2015.

The same thing season 1 was about, what a strong woman Tori is. **gag**

The more I think about that love note, the stranger it seems. MJ got the note from Dean a few months before he dumped her for Tori. So instead of ripping it to shreds & flushing it, she carefully preserves it for 8 years & when she finds out Tori wants to meet with her, she remembers it, knows exactly where it is, grabs it, & goes to lunch? Why did she hang onto that note for 8 years? Why did she have it saved someplace where she would even remember it was there? Something is not right. 

• Love 5

Did Tori really think that the Dean's ex was going to want to help her with her issues? Tori totally lied to Dean, she said she was meeting Mary about issues with Jack. I wonder why Mary brought the letter when she was going to talk about her son. My guess is Tori told her what she wanted to talk about. Mary played it off like she was understanding & a kind person but she know what she was saying & implying & rightfully so. She doesn't owe Tori anything, not an ounce of sympathy.

The "meeting to talk about Jack" thing was a story for the show to put Tori and Mary Jo's big meeting in context. Why would they meet to talk about Jack without Dean being there? It's not like he was at work and didn't have time to go or like Tori is a stepmom who handles all the child care duties in the home. They have a lot of contrived set ups on this show because Tori wants to present as "normal" and "relatable" so she keeps the nannies and maids off-camera and comes up with storylines that present pieces of her reality in contexts that she thinks are common. MJ was paid to appear on the show, so I'm sure they discussed the details with her when the contract was negotiated and told her that they'd be filming the birthday party and another scene with just her and Tori. Mary Jo obviously prepared talking points for the meeting and came with a strategy (good for her). I would guess that they even negotiated certain topics or bits of info that MJ was not allowed to bring up.

Actually, maybe that's why Dean was so pissed when Tori told him that MJ had been talking shit about him. He probably knew that it was in MJ's contract that she couldn't say certain things about Tori and maybe he was similarly protected to some extent. Then Tori came home and staged another scene that could be entitled "Look What an Asshole Dean Is" when she had assured him that the MJ convo would be fine and not make him look bad. He had gotten the flowers and written the nice note (it would be hilarious if the producers put him up to that) and thought it would be a "Good Dean" scene in which he'd look like a good husband and father. He probably thought Tori would play it kind of like she did after the Charlie meeting, crying about how bad she felt, and he would be there to dry her tears and say how he felt really bad too. But Tori flipped the script on him and set him up to look bad. Again. That would explain why he was taken off guard and lost his shit.

Does anyone know how his mom died? I tried Googling it and couldn't come up with anything. Perhaps she had cancer and was sick for a long time? So he STARTED doing badly when she got sick, but she died many years later? Just taking a stab at making sense of the nonsensical. 

That's a reasonable explanation. I almost feel bad for accusing Dean of playing the Dead Mother Card except I totally believe that he does do that.

• Love 1

OK guys:  Raise your hands if you, like Tori, feel that receiving $800,000. upon the death of a parent is receiving "nothing".

Honest to god, I was actually snorting during the "Guru" visit.

Didn't Tori realize MJ showed her that note as a warning not to trust a word Deano-boy says?  One minute she's the love of his life and the next minute he's married to Tori.  Tori, if he did that with ya, he'll do it to ya.  Apparently Ms. Goodhand was a little smarter than you were.  Or she's spent quality time watching TV on Tuesday nites......

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 5

Well, the Persnickety Achievement Award for Most Fuck-and-Awe In a Single Episode goes to:

TRUE TORI!!!!!!

I just finished watching the entire episode and...Where to begin?

Yes Dean, this is your penance for betraying Tori, you tool.  If you didn't realize LAST SEASON this show is all about humiliating YOU and canonizing HER (oops, sorry that was an epic fail, Tori, you're a hot fucking mess yourself), you'll never realize it.  You are now, and will forever be "Dean, The Douche Who Cheated On Tori."  She'll never let you live that down.

And the fact that you chose a clam with a knee-slapping inappropriate name like "Goodhand"?  Yeah, that just cemented your place in the Cheater Dog Hall of Fame. 

That guru?  There are no words.  Any dolt with a shtick can move to Hollywood and make money off of egocentric celebrities looking for the Hot.  New.  Thing.  This asshat validates that assertion.  "Guru Singh" my ass.  More like "Joe the Weirdo" from Hollywood & Vine who exploits tourists but found his calling with people like Dean and Tori.  Set up shop, hang out a sign, and start collecting your money from fools.  Well done, Guru.

So much goddamned snark in 1 hour it's overwhelming.

I think this episode MAY have even topped the best of Vanderpump Rules.

Maybe...I dunno though, too close to call at the moment.  

• Love 5

I am a Canadian so I have seen Mary Jo on television many times, she is very funny. I remember years ago she was on a show when Jack was a baby and Dean later joined her in the interview and he was very funny as well. They had good chemistry together, he was actually very likeable. I am sure he thought marrying Tori Spelling was going to improve his persona when in reality he has only gone downhill .

Edited by MamaR
  • Love 5

I've always like Mehran and it seems he is the only one to give it to Tori straight up.   In S2/Ep 1 she kept talking about the wonderful time the whole family had during a month in Malibu and how good their relationship was then.  Uh Tori, that's because there weren't any cameras.  Tori, listen to your oldest and most true friend.  He seems like he has his shit together.

This. She is lucky Mehran stays in her life.

• Love 3

This is my first time posting but I've been reading since the TWOP shutdown! I just wanted to say that I've been to Guru Singh's yoga classes (he teaches kundalini yoga in LA). Seeing him on this show was kind of a shock. He has a very peaceful energy but I can't say that I've ever seen his face morph! I think Dean is a complete tool but I actually felt kinda bad for him having that breakdown aired on TV. It seemed like he got in touch with a place in his soul that had been shut off for many years. Ugh, I can't believe I'm *almost* White Knighting for Dean. (Seriously, I think he's a terrible person in general.)

• Love 6

I am a Canadian so I have seen Mary Jo on television many times, she is very funny. I remember years ago she was on a show when Jack was a baby and Dean later joined her in the interview and he was very funny as well. They had good chemistry together, he was actually very likeable. I am sure he thought marrying Tori Spelling was going to improve his persona when in reality he has only gone downhill .

Mary Jo is clearly a bigger woman (or a lesser bitch) than yours truly.

I could not for the life of me have hidden the derisive smirk from my face as I raised my cappuccino to my lips with a pinky raised and uttered, "Karma's such a bitch, ain't she, darlin'?"

And the way she planted that itty bitty seed of doubt in Tori's mind about Dean pursuing her for the Spelling fame and wealth....Outfuckingstandingly well done.

Brava, Mary Jo, Brava.  I could practically smell the smoke coming off of Tori's rusty hamster wheel in her brain as she mulled over that possibility.

This shit's better than any soap opera in the history of radio or television.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 11

Don't know how I forgot to ask my fellow posters about this little gem.

Anybody else catch it when Dean was talking about pulling out his packet of coke at Mary Jo's mother's house and announcing his addiction?

What the actual fuck precipitated that little confession?

I'm not even being snarky when I say I'm so confused I don't know what to make of that statement.

Under what context is it appropriate to do such a thing?

Was it an intervention being held at the mother-in-law's casa and he confessed under pressure?  

Were they gathered around the Thanksgiving meal saying grace and Dean-O whipped out his packet o'coke as an aperitif and offered to pass it around?

Did they catch him desperately ferreting about for a straw or a dollar bill and confront him?  

Mary Jo indicated to Tori that Dean was apparently quite the attention whore so I'm not quite sure what I make of him whipping out his packet of coke at her mother's house and confessing to his abuse of it for 2-1/2 years.

To quote all of these goddamned housewives, Who Does That???  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 2

Tori and Dean tend to gloss over the details of his drug use/abuse. From comments that  they've let slip, I've gathered that he was drinking and doing coke for some/all of their relationship prior to Emily Goodhand/Dean going to rehab. It's not clear to me whether Tori was ok with that or not/participated or not. Their general narrative is that things were good until Dean cheated, which makes me wonder how Tori/they viewed his alcohol and drug use during "the good times." She let it slip in an earlier episode that Dean has relapsed in his recovery before, which made me wonder when that was since, supposedly, the "Dean is an addict" stuff was a recent revelation that came  after he hit rock bottom by cheating on his One True Love. In the last episode they revealed that Dean identified as an addict and was in NA/AA at some point while he was married to MJ, but he relapsed after that and went back to drinking, doing coke, and (as revealed in this episode) taking pills. So when they first got together did Dean tell Tori that he used to be in NA/AA, but now he was fine with drinking and drugging? Did she just overlook/participate in the drug use before Emily? It wouldn't be unusual for someone of Tori's age/demographic to condone drug use, but you would think that a history with drug treatment would raise a red flag (maybe not if you found your soul mate, though).

• Love 2

Tori and Dean tend to gloss over the details of his drug use/abuse. From comments that  they've let slip, I've gathered that he was drinking and doing coke for some/all of their relationship prior to Emily Goodhand/Dean going to rehab. It's not clear to me whether Tori was ok with that or not/participated or not. Their general narrative is that things were good until Dean cheated, which makes me wonder how Tori/they viewed his alcohol and drug use during "the good times." She let it slip in an earlier episode that Dean has relapsed in his recovery before, which made me wonder when that was since, supposedly, the "Dean is an addict" stuff was a recent revelation that came  after he hit rock bottom by cheating on his One True Love. In the last episode they revealed that Dean identified as an addict and was in NA/AA at some point while he was married to MJ, but he relapsed after that and went back to drinking, doing coke, and (as revealed in this episode) taking pills. So when they first got together did Dean tell Tori that he used to be in NA/AA, but now he was fine with drinking and drugging? Did she just overlook/participate in the drug use before Emily? It wouldn't be unusual for someone of Tori's age/demographic to condone drug use, but you would think that a history with drug treatment would raise a red flag (maybe not if you found your soul mate, though).

I'm sure our girl Tori thought her undying love and devotion would "cure" him of his need to engage in those behaviors.

You know, kinda like she thought he'd cheat on Mary Jo but never cheat on her.

We see how her rationale works out for her.

BTW, I'm intrigued about something else Tori mentioned.  Maybe it's been brought up before and I've blocked it out but it was news to me.

She mentioned to her friends that a lot of things Mary Jo told her about Dean during their first meeting (that he had a temper, was very much an "all or nothing" kind of guy, and other things) all turned out to be true.

Anyone privy to that prior tete-a-tete or was this a first for all the viewers?  

• Love 3

After season one, he got to live on the beach, and we all remember that was one of his barf bag wishes.

And spent months racing  motorcycles and learning to scuba dive and going to culinary school.  Don't forget the trip to Ireland as well.  He's had seven or eight years of living the high life. 

OK guys:  Raise your hands if you, like Tori, feel that receiving $800,000. upon the death of a parent is receiving "nothing".

At the time of his death Aaron Spelling had an estimated fortune of something like $600 million.  So yeah, I think 'nothing' is a pretty apt description.

Edited by Cosmocrush

She mentioned to her friends that a lot of things Mary Jo told her about Dean during their first meeting (that he had a temper, was very much an "all or nothing" kind of guy, and other things) all turned out to be true.

From what others have reported about what's in her book(s) (I haven't read them) and what Tori has said on the show, when Tori met with MJ 8 years ago (with a knife in her purse) MJ told her some stuff about Dean, like that he had a terrible temper. I guess that at the time Tori wrote it off as MJ's sour grapes because she was bitter over losing Dean. As Tori got to know Dean better, she realized that all/most of what MJ said about him was true.

• Love 3

I think it was a first for all viewers but I haven't read any of Tori's or MJ's books on the subject..  I've seen most of Tori's other  shows over the years.  They were mostly mindless entertainment (So NoTORIous was actually a pretty entertaining show - and scripted) and not really memorable but nothing like the dark self absorbed mess that is this show (although I can't seem to look away) and so nothing like that was ever talked about.  I don't remember them ever even showing a real fight on camera - the reality shows pretty much kept to the narrative of in-love-couple with young family and "conflicts" involved storylines like starting new businesses, writing a book, Dean's crazy hobbies, etc . etc.   Kind of cute stuff - home movies for the kids maybe. 

So this idea to make a show out of her crumbling marriage was crazy in my opinion.  I get that she wanted to show the world what a dirtbag Dean is but she's also preserved it for her children - all of it, the therapy the crying and screaming, etc. on video.   All the things reasonable parents try to shield their children from seeing although the kids always know something is effed up. 

And there are so many other ways she could have gone back into reality TV.  Like a show within a show for her ABC Family sitcom thing (sorry, I can't remember the name).   I would have watched a show just about her going through her high end horde.    In fact I did watch a HGTV one-off about Candy clearing out her own 16,000 foot 'climate controlled, cataloged horde when she moved out of her house.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

... Dean's breakdown made me realize he really does have tiny little eyes.  While he was bawling, I kept thinking that maybe that's why Tori married him, so that her children would have a chance at some normal sized eyes between them.

• Love 1

Bingo.  Cyber high five!  WTF is wrong with this red lipped no eye brow chick?  Not the skank Dean's banging, Tori!  Can someone please call Cher and have her slap Tori for us all?  Andy.....New Years WWHL.  And have Deano as a piñata. {Oh, wrong network} I only wish MJ would have just said it - just say it - it's small....is it in yet?  I would have jumped up and down and text Kathy Griffin to send MJ a muffin basket!

Edited by Lablover27

I think it was a first for all viewers but I haven't read any of Tori's or MJ's books on the subject..  I've seen most of Tori's other  shows over the years.  They were mostly mindless entertainment (So NoTORIous was actually a pretty entertaining show - and scripted) and not really memorable but nothing like the dark self absorbed mess that is this show (although I can't seem to look away) and so nothing like that was ever talked about.  I don't remember them ever even showing a real fight on camera - the reality shows pretty much kept to the narrative of in-love-couple with young family and "conflicts" involved storylines like starting new businesses, writing a book, Dean's crazy hobbies, etc . etc.   Kind of cute stuff - home movies for the kids maybe. 

So this idea to make a show out of her crumbling marriage was crazy in my opinion.  I get that she wanted to show the world what a dirtbag Dean is but she's also preserved it for her children - all of it, the therapy the crying and screaming, etc. on video.   All the things reasonable parents try to shield their children from seeing although the kids always know something is effed up. 

And there are so many other ways she could have gone back into reality TV.  Like a show within a show for her ABC Family sitcom thing (sorry, I can't remember the name).   I would have watched a show just about her going through her high end horde.    In fact I did watch a HGTV one-off about Candy clearing out her own 16,000 foot 'climate controlled, cataloged horde when she moved out of her house.

I'd be happy to send you my books.  MJ's first story came out in a book of numerous woman's stories of divorce.  MJ's story vs. Tori's story (books).  Think of it this way, the two of them at that lunch.  Who looked better and who won?  Who got stuck with the hollow shallow booby prize? 

I'm serious, pm me your address and I will send them to you ;)  Good toilet time reading ....{sorry, but appropriate}.  For instance, Tori's description of what she wore to her first meeting with MJ was completely different from MJ's description.  MJ: Tori showed up in braided pig tails.  Tori:  dressed down and she had a knife in her purse.  It's absolutely draining - is TORI story.  I'm so happy all I have to worry about is washing daughter's PE clothes on a Sunday night at 11pm (where I usually just throw them in the dryer with 10 fabric sheets - 5 minutes - done!)

Edited by Lablover27

OK guys: Raise your hands if you, like Tori, feel that receiving $800,000. upon the death of a parent is receiving "nothing".

Every time she says it I want to scream. I don't care how much Aaron was worth or how much she thought she should get, someone who blows off $800,000 as "nothing" doesn't deserve $80. Send her to a soup kitchen or stick her under a bridge and let her see what "nothing" truly looks like.

• Love 19

I watched the entire episode last night and . . . I just don't even know where to begin.

It's been pointed out and asked many times but I just continue to wonder WHY Tori and Dean are still together.  Neither seems particularly happy and I don't get the impression that they want the same thing (except fame.)   Both of them want undying, unwavering, unconditional attention - - kind of like Prince Charles and Princess Diana.  We all know how that turned out.  As my grandmother used to say, you can only have one peacock in a relationship.  Tori and Dean are both fighting to be the center of the relationship and that's surely not going to work.

Mehran seems to be the sole voice of reason in this mess.  If they truly want to attempt to make it work, they've got to turn off the cameras and hunker down to their marriage.  Tori especially doesn't seem like she wants to do that.  I think she enjoys the conflict, the drah-muh and airing HER story with the hope that she will be sympathetic and the victim.    The more I watch this show, the more I think she's really mentally ill.  She's clearly a hypochondriac but I wonder if she's always been this crazy pants or if it's just reared its ugly head over the 8 years she's spent with Dean, living in delusion and denial.  The fact that she can't see how damaging this show is to her, her family and her relationship is a big old red flag.

I felt oh so very uncomfortable watching the guru session because I do think at least part of Dean's breakdown was real.  I think his reaction when the guru told him that his mother left this life but not him was genuine.  I get the feeling that he never spoke about losing his mother at a very critical teen age and from what he's said and/or I've read, he did not have a particularly close relationship with his father.  So yeah, I think Dean's issues go way back to losing his mother.  Combine that with Tori's issues with her mother and they are just a clusterfuck of psychological and emotional issues.  In short, they both need a mother and mothering and neither one are getting it.

And neither are their kids it seems.  I realize we don't see everything but every week I want to throat punch Dr. Wexler for not telling Tori like it is and not asking how they are handling these issues with their kids.  For all the therapy and alternative treatments Tori and Dean try for themselves, have they once thought about what their kids may need? 

I will say that Finn is just about the cutest thing ever . . . and my ovaries usually screech in objection when it comes to children.

• Love 4

Dean was keeping it classy by flipping of the cameras. Way to go dude.

I do believe that Dean did see the gurus face change, just because the way Dean was looking at him. It was creepy!!

Dean is always pissed off. I would hate living with that.

I assume that both Mary Jo and Dean could be right about their respective versions of the marriage. I feel that MJ was spot-on when she said she thought they were okay leading up to the affair, even though he could be emotionally exhausting (we have all seen evidence of that ourselves). But, to defend Dean (gah, threw up in my mouth a little), I don't believe that he only had "episodes" of addiction. I think he did tell MJ about the coke and the alcohol. And as far as letter-gate goes...isn't the saying actions speak louder than words? Dean strikes me as the type to stay out boozing all night long and then text a bunch of platitudes as a peace offering on his way home at 6 in the morning. Doesn't mean that all is peachy. For all we know that "love note" could have been written after he acted like a complete ass to MJ and Jack and was trying to get in her good graces.

I just don't know why Tori's friends didn't say, "hey, Tori...it's possible that this is not a "who do I believe?" situation. Both of these people are toxic and now that you inserted yourself into their stuff, you gotta deal with it." And speaking of friends, was anyone else bothered by her friend Courtney's weird, darting eye thing? It was like she didn't know where to look to avoid the camera.

• Love 3

I assume that both Mary Jo and Dean could be right about their respective versions of the marriage. I feel that MJ was spot-on when she said she thought they were okay leading up to the affair, even though he could be emotionally exhausting (we have all seen evidence of that ourselves). But, to defend Dean (gah, threw up in my mouth a little), I don't believe that he only had "episodes" of addiction. I think he did tell MJ about the coke and the alcohol. And as far as letter-gate goes...isn't the saying actions speak louder than words? Dean strikes me as the type to stay out boozing all night long and then text a bunch of platitudes as a peace offering on his way home at 6 in the morning. Doesn't mean that all is peachy. For all we know that "love note" could have been written after he acted like a complete ass to MJ and Jack and was trying to get in her good graces.

I just don't know why Tori's friends didn't say, "hey, Tori...it's possible that this is not a "who do I believe?" situation. Both of these people are toxic and now that you inserted yourself into their stuff, you gotta deal with it." And speaking of friends, was anyone else bothered by her friend Courtney's weird, darting eye thing? It was like she didn't know where to look to avoid the camera.

I don't think Dean's and Mary Jo's accounts of their marriage are really contradictory on most points. She says she gave him a great life; he says he gave her a great life. Dean said he was unhappy for a while before he left and MJ says that she was frustrated in various ways. Neither is claiming that it was all good or all bad. There is disagreement on the specific point of whether they had separate bedrooms when Dean cheated with Tori. Apparently, Dean said that he was sleeping in Jack's room to back up his account of a marriage that was already in a bad place before he met Tori. From what Tori said, when they first got together Dean told her that MJ was crazy and/or a bitch, that they weren't sleeping together, and that his marriage was already basically over. That general picture is what MJ seemed to want to "disprove" to Tori/the public.

Personally, I believe MJ over Dean on the point of whether they were sharing a bedroom. Dean is a proven liar and there was something about his assertion that he was sleeping with Jack that made me think that it is technically true in some way, but not the whole story, and that he was sharing a bedroom (and probably having sex) with MJ. Emily Goodhand also said that Dean told her he and Tori weren't sleeping together, so I agree with MJ that that is A) a cliched lie that married men tell women they're dating and B) a lie Dean has been accused of telling before. I don't think it matters whether Dean was sincere when he wrote the love note to MJ- that's kind of the point, that he's a liar and said the same things to MJ that he's saying to Tori now. The note is significant because during a period when, according to what he told Tori, Dean was not in love with MJ, the marriage was obviously all but over, and they weren't sleeping together he wrote her a note calling her the love of his life, an amazing wife and mother, etc. Why would he do that? Was he lying to MJ in the note or was he lying when he gave Tori his account of the marriage? Or was he lying the whole time? (my vote)

I also believe that MJ was blindsided when he left her in Palm Springs and that it wasn't obvious to her that their marriage was over the way Dean paints it. As I understand it, MJ was always the more successful one and she had a popular cooking show on TV in Canada for many years. Nevertheless, she agreed to move to CA right before Dean left her in order to support his dream of making it in Hollywood. Also, they had just adopted a baby. I don't think she'd do all that if it was obvious that the marriage was over. I believe that Dean was eager to hit it big in Hollywood and saw Tori as his ticket to the big time. I think he told her whatever he thought she wanted to hear to hook her. She’s starting to realize that now, but she’s still deep in denial. That’s what all the “searching for answers” is. Tori desperately wants someone, anyone to tell her that the fairy tale is real and that Dean is an awesome guy who loves her so much, not just a lying, cheating douchebag.

• Love 9

As I understand it, MJ was always the more successful one and she had a popular cooking show on TV in Canada for many years. 

Until I read this sentence, I didn't think about it at all, but now I think it's strange. MJ had a cooking background, Dean was an actor. After he hooks up with Tori, he suddenly decides he's going to culinary school & that he's going to be the "Gourmet Dad"? If he was interested in doing something with cooking, why wouldn't he have done it when he was married to MJ? I don't get the sudden interest.

• Love 3

As I understand it, MJ was always the more successful one and she had a popular cooking show on TV in Canada for many years.

At the "peak" of his career, Dean was a D-list working television movie actor. Nothing wrong with that, but Dean acts like he used to win Academy Awards. And his acting isn't really all that swell. In earlier reality series, it sounded like he did better at voice-over work, which he can still do if he gets his act together.

I found it really amusing that Dean just now figured out that people are laughing at him and mocking this show. And I'm on Team MaryJo about Dean's "addiction". I think it is more for the attention than anything else. Any time Dean might have to take responsibility for anything, his face goes in his hand and he goes to the "dark place", so that no one can keep questioning him.

Is it really possible that Dean didn't know the true intention of Tori's meeting with MaryJo beforehand? Since this whole show seems to be Dean's punishment and under Tori's control, I wouldn't be totally surprised if she worked that out with producers and didn't tell Dean. Of course, Dean is a moron if he didn't guess what would actually get discussed. They didn't pay your ex $10k to discuss child discipline issues.

• Love 4

And the way she planted that itty bitty seed of doubt in Tori's mind about Dean pursuing her for the Spelling fame and wealth....Outfuckingstandingly well done.

Brava, Mary Jo, Brava.  I could practically smell the smoke coming off of Tori's rusty hamster wheel in her brain as she mulled over that possibility.

When MJ pointed out that during the initial break up she was painted as a bitter, old, infertile hag was dead on.  Tori was telling everyone that would listen.  So I really think that MJ showed up to reclaim who she was.  She knew that she was dealing with a mental m***** and that what she was saying was the truth so it was easy.  And Dean's reaction?  She's going to make me the bad guy.  Why Dean, because you're the good guy and she's the bad guy?  Can't he leave a marriage without making the person he left 'the bad guy'.  

Tori seems to rewrite history.  I think her relationships with her mother, her father, her ex are all more myth than truth.  And every time something happens that exposes the truth she is overwhelmed.  Her relationship with Dean is the one we all get to see.  Imagine the truth in her other relationship.

• Love 6

Tori seems to rewrite history.  I think her relationships with her mother, her father, her ex are all more myth than truth.  And every time something happens that exposes the truth she is overwhelmed.  Her relationship with Dean is the one we all get to see.  Imagine the truth in her other relationship.

ITA. I haven't read her books, but from what I've read, her "allegations" against Candy are pretty run-of-the-mill dysfunctional family stuff or even "now that I'm an adult/parent, I have a different perspective on my parents" stuff. I believe that Candy (and Aaron) had issues and weren't perfect parents, but even in Tori's horrific accounts of her childhood, it doesn't sound like they really did anything so terrible. The worst accusations I've heard are that Candy told Tori she should get a nose job or something. If it's even true that Candy said, "Tori, you're ugly and you need a nose job," that's terrible, but lots of parents say hurtful things to their kids, sometimes knowing that it's hurtful and sometimes not. Most adults get over it at least to the point where they don't feel the need to publicly humiliate their parents over and over for it.

Seeing how demanding and difficult to get along with Tori is, it's hard for me to believe that Candy is a monster who deserves how Tori has treated her. Actually, it's seems that Aaron's death and Tori being left "nothing" or $800K, depending on your perspective, was the catalyst for the complete breakdown in their relationship. Prior to that, Tori somehow tolerated Candy's presence in her life. I don't understand why Tori blames Candy for the inheritance that Aaron chose to leave her except that she seems to blame Candy for everything that she doesn't like about her family. It's obvious that Tori is very spoiled and entitled and FURIOUS that her parents didn't give her the millions that she seemed to have been counting on. I actually feel sorry for Candy having to bear the brunt of that. I imagine that it was hard for Candy to lose her husband and having her daughter turn on her publicly and cut her out of her and her children's lives must be very painful. She is good enough to provide trust funds for Tori's kids, to attend their birthday parties (I'm sure with expensive gifts), and to buy Tori a house in Malibu, but she's too "toxic" to merit involvement in Tori's family beyond that. Tori speaks of the expensive things she had as a child as the best parts of her childhood, yet she denies her kids the opportunity to spend time with and be spoiled by their grandmother out of spite. They could have their own ponies or a roomful of their favorite toys or whatever at grandma's house and have their own magical childhood moments with that stuff. I don't think stuff like that is important or even necessarily healthy, but Tori does. Obviously, the kids would benefit from having a loving grandma in their lives even more than from the material things. Liam used to visit Candy once a week or something when he was younger and I assume that Tori cut that off in a fit of pique at some point. I don't think she believes that spending more time with Candy would hurt the kids; I think she won't allow Candy to get close to the kids to punish her.

Also, Tori has a pattern of publicly trashing people she's mad at, whether her anger is justified or not. She did it to Mary Jo and Charlie and she's doing it to Dean with this show. She made up lies about MJ like saying that she had a restraining order against her in order to get MJ kicked out of an awards show just to be nasty. She has lied repeatedly saying that she's gotten "nothing" from her parents when just the $800K and the house Candy bought her total 7 figures. I'm sure that her parents have given her even more than that in gifts, "loans" that were never repaid, etc., not to mention the gift of a lucrative television career.

• Love 13

ITA agree that this show has made me rethink my views on Candy. Tori definetly see things through her own selfish lense doesn't she? Boy did she misjudge this show and its impact. She really looks like a crazy, self absorbed shrew. Her need to be tended to and coddled is mystifying to me, as are her frequent hospitalizations and migraines. I'm surprised she hasn't tried to crawl back in her mother's womb.

• Love 3

At the time of his death Aaron Spelling had an estimated fortune of something like $600 million.  So yeah, I think 'nothing' is a pretty apt description.

Nothing to me is $0. Tori received nearly one million dollars. Despite that being a sliver of her father's fortune, it is indeed something. I also know if she had been left, say, $20 million, she'd have absolutely nothing to show for it except 500 more storage containers for her trash.

Tori was employed by her father on a highly successful television show and was able to parlay her fame into some classic 90s Lifetime movies (hehe...Mother, May I Sleep With Danger? is a favorite of mine). Also, because of who she is, she's gotten countless book deals and television show deals. Technically, Tori has been truly blessed financially because of her father whether she wants to admit it or not.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 13

Nothing to me is $0. Tori received nearly one million dollars. Despite that being a sliver of her father's fortune, it is indeed something. I also know if she had been left, say, $20 million, she'd have absolutely nothing to show for it except 500 more storage containers for her trash.

There are so many instances of wealthy parents not leaving their fortune to their children and not out of malice.  Buffet isn't leaving money to them.  He is an investor in his son's farm and gives money to his foundation.  There was a documentary by one of the Johnson and Johnson heirs and two of the heirs he interviewed said, no will money.  I know that I will get a top education and a start in life but I also know that I need to make my own way.

I wonder if that was the reason for the sliver of her father's fortune.  I wonder if Tori knew all along what the dollar amount was.  At one point this season she actually said 'my father wouldn't want me to live like this'.  So if her father was alive she would be begging money.  Perhaps the problem with Candy is that she says no.  In the limited media exposure that her brother has it seems he got the same amount of money and is doing just fine.  

Seeing how twisted things become in Tori's needy mind I wonder if we ever know the real story.  I honestly believe there was $800,000.  But I don't believe it was punitive on her father's part.  The rumor out there now is that Candy has set up nice trust funds for her grandchildren.  That Candy has offered to pay school tuition but Tori won't tell her were to send the check.  Seems like she doesn't trust Tori.  And now we all see why that is.

• Love 4

ITA. I haven't read her books, but from what I've read, her "allegations" against Candy are pretty run-of-the-mill dysfunctional family stuff or even "now that I'm an adult/parent, I have a different perspective on my parents" stuff. I believe that Candy (and Aaron) had issues and weren't perfect parents, but even in Tori's horrific accounts of her childhood, it doesn't sound like they really did anything so terrible. The worst accusations I've heard are that Candy told Tori she should get a nose job or something. If it's even true that Candy said, "Tori, you're ugly and you need a nose job," that's terrible, but lots of parents say hurtful things to their kids, sometimes knowing that it's hurtful and sometimes not. Most adults get over it at least to the point where they don't feel the need to publicly humiliate their parents over and over for it.

Seeing how demanding and difficult to get along with Tori is, it's hard for me to believe that Candy is a monster who deserves how Tori has treated her. Actually, it's seems that Aaron's death and Tori being left "nothing" or $800K, depending on your perspective, was the catalyst for the complete breakdown in their relationship. Prior to that, Tori somehow tolerated Candy's presence in her life. I don't understand why Tori blames Candy for the inheritance that Aaron chose to leave her except that she seems to blame Candy for everything that she doesn't like about her family. It's obvious that Tori is very spoiled and entitled and FURIOUS that her parents didn't give her the millions that she seemed to have been counting on. I actually feel sorry for Candy having to bear the brunt of that. I imagine that it was hard for Candy to lose her husband and having her daughter turn on her publicly and cut her out of her and her children's lives must be very painful. She is good enough to provide trust funds for Tori's kids, to attend their birthday parties (I'm sure with expensive gifts), and to buy Tori a house in Malibu, but she's too "toxic" to merit involvement in Tori's family beyond that. Tori speaks of the expensive things she had as a child as the best parts of her childhood, yet she denies her kids the opportunity to spend time with and be spoiled by their grandmother out of spite. They could have their own ponies or a roomful of their favorite toys or whatever at grandma's house and have their own magical childhood moments with that stuff. I don't think stuff like that is important or even necessarily healthy, but Tori does. Obviously, the kids would benefit from having a loving grandma in their lives even more than from the material things. Liam used to visit Candy once a week or something when he was younger and I assume that Tori cut that off in a fit of pique at some point. I don't think she believes that spending more time with Candy would hurt the kids; I think she won't allow Candy to get close to the kids to punish her.

Also, Tori has a pattern of publicly trashing people she's mad at, whether her anger is justified or not. She did it to Mary Jo and Charlie and she's doing it to Dean with this show. She made up lies about MJ like saying that she had a restraining order against her in order to get MJ kicked out of an awards show just to be nasty. She has lied repeatedly saying that she's gotten "nothing" from her parents when just the $800K and the house Candy bought her total 7 figures. I'm sure that her parents have given her even more than that in gifts, "loans" that were never repaid, etc., not to mention the gift of a lucrative television career.

I never believed the allegations Tori made against her mother. She had a good childhood compared to other adults. Heck better than mine. She got everything she ever wanted from her parents. She went to the best schools and got the best of everything. She never had to worry about her next meal of where she will live. I'm not saying her parents are innocent, I'm sure like most parents they did make mistakes. Their biggest was not teaching Tori the value of a dollar and not saying no. Tori is spoiled and blames everyone else for her problems. 800k is a lot of money and I could probably make that last a lifetime. She needs to grow up realize daddy didn't give her money for a reason and start taking control of her own life. Put some big girl panties on Tori!

• Love 5

Tori was employed by her father on a highly successful television show and was able to parlay her fame into some classic 90s Lifetime movies (hehe...Mother, May I Sleep With Danger? is a favorite of mine). Also, because of who she is, she's gotten countless book deals and television show deals. Technically, Tori has been truly blessed financially because of her father whether she wants to admit it or not.

This. ALL of this. She is an able-bodied adult who received a very generous gift - GIFT, mind you - upon her father's death. She also benefitted many times over, directly and indirectly, from opportunities that same father provided her. Let's face it, left to her own devices (and limited "talent"), how would she have done?

Now she's (at least chronologically) an adult, with two marriages and four children. Quit whining about Mommy and Daddy's "unfairness," dump those storage units filled with crap you don't need, put your big girl drawers on, and find a damn job that pays for whatever lifestyle you can afford. Not the "fairy tale" that everyone knows is a lie. The real life you and the greaseball can actually afford.

The rest of us do it - and most of us are far happier than you will ever be.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 10

This. ALL of this. She is an able-bodied adult who received a very generous gift - GIFT, mind you - upon her father's death. She also benefitted many times over, directly and indirectly, from opportunities that same father provided her. Let's face it, left to her own devices (and limited "talent"), how would she have done?

Co-sign.  I would give my right arm and slap my mother in order to have one, just ONE, NY Times bestseller.  Tori has a built-in audience for whatever she does, whether it's write a book, host a show, act, etc. 

I think she made a huge mistake in letting her HSN/jewelry/children's clothing line businesses go.  She seemed to enjoy it and I would think she'd make some nice change from them.  On all her past reality shows she's said she really enjoys crafts.  Maybe she should be looking in that arena versus airing all her dirty (and crazy pants) laundry via Lifetime. 

• Love 5

I'm no Tori apologist, but I don't agree with the line of thinking that says that because she grew up with wealth and opportunities, she had a wonderful childhood. Unhealthy family dynamics exist in all socioeconomic levels, and when a family has a great deal of wealth, the toxic emotional and psychological dynamics can be hidden even better because money can help cover up those issues.

You then get into the nature/nurture elements because some children end up doing relatively OK even when there were difficulties, while others do not.

Regardless, the best approach to whatever problems Tori has would be to deal with it privately in therapy (with a good therapist), or amongst her various family members as she felt she needed to. Revealing her dysfunction on a realty show was a mistake, and a VERY unhealthy decision particularly since she has young children. As I write this, I am realizing that her current therapist is a bigger jerk than I originally thought given that she agreed to participate in this garbage on camera KNOWING that Tori's children will be affected by it.

• Love 4

I think she made a huge mistake in letting her HSN/jewelry/children's clothing line businesses go.  She seemed to enjoy it and I would think she'd make some nice change from them.  On all her past reality shows she's said she really enjoys crafts.  Maybe she should be looking in that arena versus airing all her dirty (and crazy pants) laundry via Lifetime. 

I didn't know she had let it go but I thought the clothes were darling and she did seem to enjoy it.  I wonder what happened to it? 

I'm no Tori apologist, but I don't agree with the line of thinking that says that because she grew up with wealth and opportunities, she had a wonderful childhood. Unhealthy family dynamics exist in all socioeconomic levels, and when a family has a great deal of wealth, the toxic emotional and psychological dynamics can be hidden even better because money can help cover up those issues.

I don't think Tori had a wonderful childhood because she was rich. I question whether her childhood was the nightmare she makes it out to be at times because it seemed that she had two parents who loved her (despite their shortcomings), a safe home to live in, and many wonderful opportunities and experiences. She vilifies her mother, but it seems to me that her complaints about her mother don't merit the harsh treatment Tori has given her. Regardless of my opinion, Tori doesn't have to have a relationship with her mother if she doesn't want to whether Candy "deserves" that or not. IMO, if she's decided that she doesn't want Candy in her life, she should refrain from trashing Candy publicly for not giving her (more) money. If I decided to cut someone out of my life I wouldn't expect that person to give me any money. If someone bought me a 7-figure house after I publicly trashed her for years, I'd be super grateful, stop trashing her, and stop asking her for money. In light of what we've seen of Tori's relationships with Dean and others on this show, it's not hard for me to believe that she is selfish, unduly demanding, and irrational in her relationship with Candy as well.

My other issue with Tori's narrative of what a terrible mother Candy is/was is that she is guilty of much of the same or worse with her own kids and she doesn't seem to think about that at all. Tori sees herself as an amazing, loving mom who will always be super close with her adoring kids. Anyone who's not as delusional as she is can already see that that's not likely. She is featured doing a lot of emotional damage to her kids every week on the show where she is exploiting their family problems for all the world to see. She's incredibly self-involved and ignores her kids' physical and emotional needs to focus on her own endless drama all the time. I wonder what the kids will have to say in the future about her frequent hospital stays during which she often insists that Dean stay with her while they are left at home with neither parent? I wonder what they'll think about her frequent emotional breakdowns in front of them? I wonder what they'll think about being kept away from their grandmother because of Tori's feud with her? What will they think about how her eating disorders and plastic surgeries have affected their ideas about beauty and body image? Or how her talk about "fairy tales" and her toxic relationship with Dean affect their romantic relationships? Will she be understanding if they blame her for all of their problems and demand unlimited money since she "ruined their lives"? I doubt it.

Edited by TheRealT
  • Love 14

I didn't know she had let it go but I thought the clothes were darling and she did seem to enjoy it.  I wonder what happened to it? 

Cosmocrush, Mehran had mentioned the businesses a couple of episodes ago and Tori said something in her TH about letting them slide because of all the drama surrounding the cheating, etc.  As I recall, Mehran was trying to get an idea on what to do about those businesses.  I do remember him working with her in the past on her jewelry line.

• Love 1

Me, too.  In fact, I would beseech any fans of cheesy craptastic Lifetime movies to check it out.  I guarantee you'll have fun snarking on it.

The best worst movie ever made.

Here's the full version: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luTxt80cOxw&list=WL&index=22

(You're welcome)

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 3

As I write this, I am realizing that her current therapist is a bigger jerk than I originally thought given that she agreed to participate in this garbage on camera KNOWING that Tori's children will be affected by it.

True Tori is not the first reality show Dr Wexler has been on, she was also on Gene Simmons Family Jewels

Dean's eyes are so close together that they are distracting to me; therefore I think he looks better with his glasses on.  This past week, Brooke Shields has been promoting her book on various TV shows and what really surprised me was the fact that her husband has the same close set eyes as Dean.  They look like they could be brothers.