Type keyword(s) to search

Peaky Blinders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think Tommy sold his family out in the end, no one else. He knew about all of their individual crimes and like he said, he made a deal with VIPs and it seems that their arrests were to appease their enemies.  

Why did Tommy want to meddle with the Russians anyway?  The show lost me at several points during the course of the season but I still enjoyed it.  I didn't care that they killed Grace off early.  I think she was brought back because she was such an unexpected fan favorite but there isn't much for wife characters to do on this show.  They are either complicit in the schemes or in the background, disapproving.  At some point I expect Tommy to end up with someone who challenges Polly's status as family matriarch.  Macbeth needs a Lady.  I'm not sure if that will be May. Tommy chose Grace over her and it's not like she needs him anyway.  The showrunner gave an interview when the show got two more seasons and said that he wants to show the Shelby family growing even wealthier and more powerful than they are now.  He also said that the show will likely conclude with the start of WW2. I imagine we'll be doing a big time jump with either S4 or S5 (or both). 

• Love 1

http://deadline.com/2017/03/peaky-blinders-season-four-aidan-gillen-charlotte-riley-may-returns-charlie-murphy-cast-1202053798/

Yay! Charlotte Riley is back for season four. I loved May and I'm basically a sucker for posho lady/working class dude romances, so I hope she's doing more than training Tommy's race horse.

I'm thrilled for Charlie Murphy, whose career is taking off. Last season on the show, a leader of working class women was mentioned a couple of times but never shown. I think she was a factory steward or shop steward or something? And I wonder if this might be Charlie Murphy's role.

(edited)

Briefly (and I guess aptly, given the post just before mine): if I didn't care much for Boardwalk Empire, should I try with this? I'm a bit into the pilot and it's throwing me a whole lot of that. At some point I just lost my patience with Serious White Men Doing the Serious Business of Crime and Thuggery, and while I love period pieces, especially of the U.K. variety, got a feeling this may not be for me. 

Sorry, shorter version ... is this going to deviate much from the BE blueprint?

Thanks in advance. Sincerely asking, I'm in a television dry spell.

Edit: ok, I tried to quickly skim the thread without actively spoiling much, and I see multiple mentions of BE, so apparently it wasn't just me. Will have to take a pass. Sorry for the useless post. 

Edited by kieyra
(edited)

I've just finished watching Taboo's first season and started watching this show because I  saw that Tom Hardy is in season two.  I just got through the first two episodes last night but so far Aunt Polly is my favorite. 

I was glad to learn that Tommy intentionally started the fight with the Lee family because it would feed into his larger plan in dealing with Kimber. Up to finding that out I thought it was extremely stupid for grown men to start brawling over mother insults.  So that's twice that Tommy has surprised me. The first was the fake killing of Danny(?), the guy with PTSD.

I already have no use for Grace.  She's a cops daughter and she's working for the government but she'll end up falling in love with bad boy Tommy. Cliché, cliché, cliché.  *yawn*  It doesn't help that the character (or is it the actress?) is bland and lacking in any personality whatsoever. I see no romantic chemistry between the actors so I can already tell that this is going to be my least favorite plot point going forward. Depending on how much screen time they take up, I may have to make liberal use of my FF button.

I'm not clear on why Tommy would try to kill Freddie if he and Ada stay in town.  If Tommy tipped him off about the pregnancy and Freddie is willing to marry Ada, then why would Aunt Polly still be worried?

Edited by rove4

Finished season 1.  Aunt Polly remains my favorite. 

Tommy is an interesting character. I'm not sure what's going on in his nightmares from the war.  I can see that Freddie and Danny are with him but other than that the shaky camera angles make it hard for me to make out what's going on.  

I'm glad that Tommy arranged to free Freddie.  Maybe now Freddie will agree to leave town.

The showdown with Kimber was a bit anticlimactic but I loved that Ada showed up.  She should have left the baby at home though.  That was just crazy.

Grace, Grace. I know I should like this character.  She should be cool.  She's an undercover agent after all. And in the hands of an actress with actual charisma she likely would've been...in spite of the fact that everything about her arc was obvious from the moment she met Tommy. Unfortunately, the show is saddled with an actress who is a complete milquetoast.  She has two expressions: stupefied and catatonic. And while I think Tommy is interesting to watch, I wouldn't want to get involved with him on any level. So why Grace falls in love with him is a mystery to me.  Because he saved her from getting raped? That seems like it should be a minimum requirement in a human being. I'd like to think that the gunshot as the scene faded to black means that she's gone forever but I know I won't be that lucky.

I liked all the other women in the show. Polly goes without saying but Ada has some inner fire too.  Esme looks promising so I hope she gets more to do in the second season.  I chuckled when John realized he had been voluntold for marriage.  

All in all, a very good show so onward to season 2. And Tom Hardy!!

• Love 1

Just binge watched this season (after watching all of S1) and I, too, am sad that their aren't individual episode threads. There is so much to discuss IMO.

- I was surprised at the two year time jump between seasons. It took me most of the first episode to realize that the tall teenager always with Tommy, Arthur, and John was little Finn.  He did more that two years' worth of growing IMO.  

- Sad to learn that Freddie died.  I felt like there could've been more story for him. I do like that Ada chose to still live apart from her family and that she's trying to carve out her own life as "not a Shelby"...though not separate enough to refuse the nice, big house.

- I like Esme too and don't know why Polly seems to give her a hard time. I feel like she's shown her mettle to the family.

- Polly started off the season a bit more emotional that she was in S1.  I missed her being the voice of reason (pointing a gun at Tommy??) so I was glad to see her return to form as the season progressed. I'm also glad that she was the one to dispatch Campbell but, seriously, no one reacts to the sound of a gun being fired?

- Michael...not sure about him. So has he completely forgotten the woman who actually did the hard part of raising him? The Shelby brothers I can understand because they came into this life...a life that Polly says is all about "ifs", that's bad...in order to survive.  But here's Michael who has known a much more settled life, a normal life, but he'd rather have a life of violence?  I'm not sure I trust someone who would make that choice.

- Campbell is a total creep. I hope he's gone for good.

- I love Tom Hardy and he was great as Solomon.  In a new twist, I actually understood everything he said this time but I still have no idea what he was talking about, lol.  He's a little nuts, methinks.  

- I really liked May. I liked the scene where Tommy pulls up and sees her estate for the first time and his reaction is basically "shit".  Haha! I think he saw how out of his depth he was and yet, in true Tommy fashion, it didn't stop him from waltzing in there and basically telling May that he was going to have sex with her. She still seems to be mourning her husband and Tommy of course is still pining for Grace (I swear, he only had sex with her once two years ago so she must have one seriously magical hoohah, sheesh!). It's not love for either Tommy or May but clearly there is an attraction there.  I find their dynamic much more chemistry laden than anything with whispery-voiced Grace.  And of course, the Tommy/May love-making gets trumped with the reveal that milquetoast Grace is back.  Ugh.

- Grace, at least the S1 version, is a character that I guess I'm supposed to like.  The trouble is that they cast such a bland actress in the role that I was happy she seemed gone.  I had almost four complete Grace-free episodes and it was wonderful.  I really thought she was gone for good. Nope, she shows up in London because...reasons. I guess there was no such thing as fertility testing/treatments in the US at the time?  I agree with the poster who said that the show grinds to a screeching halt every time she popped up in the story. I seriously wanted to throttle her when she showed up at the the races.  While I would prefer Tommy marry May, I can't see him ignoring the fact that Grace is pregnant...though IMO Grace would make the most boring wife for Tommy.

On to season 3...

(edited)

Finished season 3. I have to admit that I had some trouble following the Russian plot.  Basically I got that the Grand Duchess and her husband wanted to fund some pro-royalists back home in Russia but the crazy niece thought it was a lost cause and preferred to use the jewels to pay for a wealthy life in Vienna with her lover. I'm not sure what Churchill and the English government had to do with anything or how the armored trucks fit in.  But somewhere along the wayTatiana and Tommy cooked up the side job of him tunneling into the vault to steal the jewels which he would later turn around and give back to her.  So basically the story Tommy told his family about fearing the Russians wouldn't pay, thus necessitating breaking in via tunnel job, was just to get them to go along with robbing the Russians.  Or something.

I didn't get who the pedo priest was working for but boy did I grow to hate him. Michael hasn't been a favorite of mine but I was glad to see him be the one to off the priest.  And at least he shed a couple of tears so it's good to know that his first kill, as horrible a man as he was, still affected him.

Tom Hardy just owns every scene he's in.  My favorite was when Alfie called Tommy out for telling accusing him of crossing a line.  Little Charles (and Grace too) were in danger because of Tommy's choices and the life he chooses to live.  Well, Grace knew what she was marrying into but still, her death and Charles' kidnapping were direct consequences of Tommy's lifestyle.  So good for Alfie for pointing it out.

As for Grace, I didn't think the show would actually kill her off. I'm not sorry to see her go because as bland as I found her in S1, she only grew progressively more vapid in S2 and 3.  That said, I would have preferred to see their marriage start to grow stale and for both to realize that neither has what the other really needs.  In S2 Tommy accused Ada of being bored with her life. I think Tommy would soon have found himself growing bored with Grace and listening to her prattle on about gardens and party invite lists, seating arrangements, etc. And Grace would have come to resent that Tommy would never, short of death, be able to resist cooking up some new scam.  He'd always be working "business".  The cracks were already starting to show on their wedding day. 

I was heartened to hear Tommy say he's planning to buy another racehorse and pay to have it trained. Now knowing that Charlotte Riley is coming back, I'm excited to see how she reacts to Tommy.  I hope she doesn't take him back with open arms, if he even tries anything. It's been two years (assuming there's not another time jump heading into S4) so he needs to work for it, lol.  I had heard that the actress was pregnant in real life around the time of filming for S3. I wonder if maybe May was the original choice to become Mrs. Shelby but when the pregnancy kept the actress out of S3 then Grace became the default but since the writers didn't want to commit to that, and hoping/planning to bring back CR at a later time, they killed off Grace as soon as possible.  Because otherwise what was the point of Tommy's speech to May at Epsom in S2, assuring her that he would come find her and telling her to "remember that" and of bringing Grace back at all?

The time jumps bother me. I see the need for them but IMO they produce some lazy writing shortcuts.  We spent S1 watching Ada and Freddie fighting the odds to be together, finally winning the right to do so in the S1 finale only to find Freddie dead at the start of S2. We missed seeing them be a happy, whole family for the brief time they had. I can't recall seeing much evidence of PTSD in Arthur in S1 but suddenly in S2 he's like a rabid dog. FF again for S3 and now he's got a very morally upright seeming wife...but we missed seeing how in the heck a man like S2 Arthur ever met and won over a woman like Linda. 

And why did Tommy rat out his entire family?  Was it to protect them from someone? Maybe whoever it was that wanted the armored trucks?  Boy, if looks could kill Polly was giving Tommy the death stare there at the end.  I'm looking forward to S4 and seeing how Tommy gets his family out of this one. 

Edited by rove4

I had to watch all three seasons again. That would make it a total of three watchings each. I enjoyed all. Also wondering if Polly realized the turn of events was her fault. The best summary is ... their enemies are so much worse than the Shelbys themselves. So that clears up why I gleefully knew the priest was going to get it.

I watched the first episode a few months ago and thought it was too slow and gave up on it until I had nothing else to watch. I can't believe I waited so long to catch up. This show is so good. I think I'm obsessed with Cillian Murphy's eyes, cheekbones and voice.

I was no fan of Grace but I still felt bad that she was dead. Then I was happy she was completely gone because I agreed with Polly about her. I still wish Tommy had picked May but I got why he married Grace even if she was so damn drippy in season 2.

Michael was damn odd but damn if I didn't love him. I also went from hating Arthur in season 1 to feeling really bad for him in this season. No one will let him change but when he goes off the rails they give him so much shit. Let him fix himself!

I hated the Russians storyline especially when they went to the random orgy. Like we get it. You're decadent and wild. RME.

I need season 4 now. I want to see how they get out of this.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
On 2017-04-04 at 9:40 PM, kieyra said:

Briefly (and I guess aptly, given the post just before mine): if I didn't care much for Boardwalk Empire, should I try with this? I'm a bit into the pilot and it's throwing me a whole lot of that. At some point I just lost my patience with Serious White Men Doing the Serious Business of Crime and Thuggery, and while I love period pieces, especially of the U.K. variety, got a feeling this may not be for me. 

Sorry, shorter version ... is this going to deviate much from the BE blueprint?

Thanks in advance. Sincerely asking, I'm in a television dry spell.

Edit: ok, I tried to quickly skim the thread without actively spoiling much, and I see multiple mentions of BE, so apparently it wasn't just me. Will have to take a pass. Sorry for the useless post. 

As someone who gave up on Boardwalk Empire and loves Peaky Blinders I would say while they are similar in term of time period and themes they are very different shows. Peaky Blinders has a much stronger supporting cast and more of sense of humor. I feel like Peaky Blinders is about the Shelby family more than it is the Peaky Blinders gang.

For one Tommy isn't Nucky or even Tony Soprano.  Partly because he is so surrounded by family and truly seem to care about them. Tony and Nucky paid lip service to family but had no trouble killing on of their own if it came down to it. I can't see Tommy doing that in fact he would probably take his own life first.. He might blow up at Arthur for fucking up but instead of punishing him  like Nucky would he buys him the pub he always wanted. Tommy is also somewhat more sympathetic because we see what he is fighting his way out of in Small Heath instead of just being told about it. The Class and ethnic discrimination are also well shown and help explain  his actions.  Its not likely someone who was Romani or from  Small Heath could make something of themselves legally in that time period and it makes it harder to fault Tommy for what he does.  Tommy is fighting for survival everyday and always has it makes him much more interesting and layered than strait up narcissist like Nucky and Tony.  Plus Tommy believes the past is the past and doesn't navel gaze that much thankfully. 

On 2017-05-18 at 11:23 PM, rove4 said:

Grace, Grace. I know I should like this character.  She should be cool.  She's an undercover agent after all. And in the hands of an actress with actual charisma she likely would've been...in spite of the fact that everything about her arc was obvious from the moment she met Tommy. Unfortunately, the show is saddled with an actress who is a complete milquetoast.  She has two expressions: stupefied and catatonic. And while I think Tommy is interesting to watch, I wouldn't want to get involved with him on any level. So why Grace falls in love with him is a mystery to me.  Because he saved her from getting raped? That seems like it should be a minimum requirement in a human being. I'd like to think that the gunshot as the scene faded to black means that she's gone forever but I know I won't be that lucky.

Its funny I get what you mean but I got to like Grace during the scene with Polly and the rest of the final episode. I do think she was a bit thinly written but there is potential there. As for why she fell for Tommy I think it comes down to three things.

1) Its Cillian Murphy hes gorgeous

2) I think she is bit sheltered and is excited by the whole bad boy idea.

3) Most importantly he treats as an equal and compliment her intelligence. (Considering the time period Tommy might be the only one who has) Its a deliberate contrast to Campbell who is patronizing and over protective.

As for why Tommy falls for her I think she represents an ideal. Grace is exactly the type of classy, pure, smart woman Tommy was never supposed to even look at let alone love. I also think he really does respect her intelligence and likes the idea of having someone who is a partner not just a bedmate.

Like everyone else here I love Polly. She is their Queen and she knows it. Even Tommy seems to revert to a bit of teenager in her presence.

Ada is a little one note but her relationship with Tommy is interesting especially when you consider that shes actually seems to be the closest to him in age.

• Love 5

Like many people here, I just gave up on the plot and enjoyed the scenery. The British government funding the Royalists made sense (communist threat and all that) but I completely lost the thread of who the hell the Economic League was. The pedo priest was a caricature.

I thought they were just upset to see the British Army uniforms what with the relations between the Irish and the British army?

Poor Arthur. I felt so bad for him trying to get out and being dragged back in over and over. 

The ending was ridiculous. Was Tommy just pretending to pay them out to buy time until the authorities showed up? That part didn't make much sense to me. 

Totally agree with whoever said the chemistry between Murphy and Hardy was amazing. Could they maybe wrestle each other or something next season? There were a couple of times I thought I was listening to Bane when Alfie was talking but I guess that's just Hardy's voice. I still loved all his scenes, including the one where he calls Tommy out for his hypocrisy about "the line". The scene in the vault was great too. 

Regardless of some of the weaknesses, I could stare at these people for hours. 

Trailer for Season 4:

I laughed out loud when I saw Aidan Gillen in costume. This show already has Tom Hardy's bonkers performance. I'm not sure there's room for another ham! Having watched Gillen most recently on Game of Thrones, I'm afraid of what variety of accents we might be subject to this time! Trailer looks good, though.

Edited by Kirsty
On 10/1/2017 at 9:14 AM, Kirsty said:

I laughed out loud when I saw Aidan Gillen in costume. This show already has Tom Hardy's bonkers performance. I'm not sure there's room for another ham! Having watched Gillen most recently on Game of Thrones, I'm afraid of what variety of accents we might be subject to this time! Trailer looks good, though.

Considering the shows dealings with the IRA we might actually  hear his real Belfast accent for once. Lol

When he receives a mysterious letter on Christmas Eve, Tommy realises that the Shelbys are in danger of annihilation.

As the enemy closes in, Tommy flees his country house and returns to the only safe place he knows: Small Heath, Birmingham, the slum where he grew up. Facing a more determined and sophisticated threat than ever before, the Shelby family must find a way to put differences aside, work together, take up arms and fight for survival...

Whoa, that ending. John and Michael better not die.

Tommy killing that assassin in the kitchen was intense.

It broke my heart to see Polly so broken over what transpired while they were imprisoned.

The Mafia, oh, man. So glad this is back.

• Love 2

That episode was AMAZING. I can't wait for next week - I can't see how John and Michael won't die, they were shot in the chest at pretty close range. Stupid Esme, she's off her nut. I find it so strange that she and John are together, she hates Tommy so much (even before shit went sour last year). Linda is also a piece of work, Arthur just bows to her wishes. The women in this show are getting a bad rap, here.

I am interested to see how the union negotiations go, and if Tommy has underestimated Jessie Eden (likely the answer is yes, as she's a real person)

• Love 1

As the Shelbys come to terms with the shocking events of Christmas Day, Tommy endeavours to unite his family. Until the current threat is dealt with, their only safe place is together in Small Heath. Johnny Dogs and Charlie set about arming the locals - everyone is now a Peaky bodyguard. Tommy enlists the help of tough Romany Gypsy Aberama Gold, who wants something unusual in return.

Jessie Eden confronts Tommy about the workers' pay. She warns him that revolution is in the air, and when Tommy doesn't relent she calls his bluff. As the situation plays out, Tommy's factory manager tells him he has one more meeting - with a mysterious businessman from Paris. But what transpires is no ordinary meeting with no ordinary businessman...

On 11/18/2017 at 10:48 PM, mledawn said:

That episode was AMAZING. I can't wait for next week - I can't see how John and Michael won't die, they were shot in the chest at pretty close range. Stupid Esme, she's off her nut. I find it so strange that she and John are together, she hates Tommy so much (even before shit went sour last year). Linda is also a piece of work, Arthur just bows to her wishes. The women in this show are getting a bad rap, here.

I am interested to see how the union negotiations go, and if Tommy has underestimated Jessie Eden (likely the answer is yes, as she's a real person)

Michael is the one saying the line about killing Alfie in the preview so he probably makes it. It doesn't look good for John though. Johns had the least growth and no real place to go unlike his brothers. Killing him off underlines what a threat Luca Changretta is and shakes up the family dynamic. Its also showing how the family pays a price for all their excess. Which is something that feels compulsory in British television even the protagonists seem to have to pay for their crimes. True Tommy lost Grace but that didn't really affect the rest of them.  Losing John will change the family forever. It also gives room for Finn and even Jeremiah to step up and fill that void.

I'm  not sure if Esme hates Tommy or just feels trapped. We haven't had a lot of Esme but she did want Tommy to be a part of her run off to France idea so I don't think she actually hates him. Of course that could change with John's death. It could also bring them closer since Esme is going to be on her own with all those kids. Although some kind of tug of war over those kids is probably more likely. We might actually hear their names with of this.

The Jessie Eden story concerns me she was a real person and a tough feminist rabble rouser. The idea of someone like that falling into bed with Tommy could veer into trite All Girls want Bad Boys territory if their not careful. That was my issue with May actually more than her just not being Grace but the way she apparently found Tommy irresistible instantly. (If the actors had stronger chemistry it might have worked but as written it felt rushed ) The Tommy the memetic sex god could get very ridiculous and insulting real quickly. 

• Love 2

Not to take away from your very valid points, but THERE IS A PREVIEW!? I looked yesterday and didn't see one! Ahhhhh!

Edited to add: I still haven't seen a preview where Michael does a VO about killing Alfie Soloman. Are you sure it was for S04E02? I did see the boxing match one, but that's it

I only ask because

Spoiler

Alfie Soloman isn't in S04E02 at all

Edited by mledawn

I managed to stay spoiler-free for this episode until the moment before I clicked on the iPlayer link. Grrrrr!! Another fantastic episode all the same.

I was spoiled for John's death but of course how was he going to survive that shootout? No surprise Esme legged it with the kids to live with proper Gypsies. It would have been interesting to see more of her reaction (and perhaps we may, yet) but she grated on me so that's fine. Michael's conversation with Polly had its good ("I'm going to take a while to get better - you need to get better faster" and essentially "Tommy needs you, we need him for the win"), but promising her Australia seems like that'll bite him in the ass later. Polly is not a woman I would ever want to cross, that's for sure: family or no.

It's interesting to see Linda attempt to reassert herself over Arthur, but I think she can see the writing on the wall (for now). Will the policeman's warning for Ada be passed along? I'd sort of forgotten Ada was a raging communist when she was sent to America.

As for the new additions, I will have to get over Aiden Gillan's horrible hair, and adapt to his new accent, but Mr Gold seems to be a good baddie(ish). I don't know why Tommy feels he can trust him in any way (and his old buddy Johnny Dogs thinks trying is a bad bad idea), so I think it must go predictably sideways at some point - probably around the boxing scheme. Handing the kid the Peaky Blinders cap was a nice touch by Tommy to maintain connection between the families. I enjoyed the mention of Alfie Solomon because continuity!

Having Changretta just walk right into Tommy's office was a bit of a stretch (and the trope with the gun's bullets). It was funny to see them set the terms of the vendetta. Honour among thieves and all that, I suppose.

I loved Curly just telling May everything, quickly summing up the story to this point, and May just going, "yeah, nothing changes around here".

Is Finn the youngest brother? I can't remember where he fits.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I really hated Tommy's talk with Finn. Just because a man doesn't want to have sex with prostitutes does not mean he isn't a man. 

Eh I don't think that was Tommy's point.  I think he was just telling Finn if he didn't want the hooker he should have stood up for himself and told Pol to fuck off. That a man doesn't let people push him around.

Speaking of Pol maybe I'm just being optimistic but I don't think she's actually selling out Tommy. I just don't think she would forgive Luca for killing John and hurting Michael. No way she lets the man who hurt her baby keep breathing. I think she's drawing him into a trap. I could believe she hoping for mutual annihilation but I don't for minute believe she intends to let Luca to just go back to New York.

I liked the scene with Michael and his adoptive mother. It was good to see that addressed since it felt like a bit of a plot hole. I also liked that it was left with him loving her and respecting everything she did for him but he belongs with the Shelbys. For good or for ill its where he fits in and what he's good at.

Arthur covered in paint and shooting Italians was awesome and amazing to look at.

Jesse Eden was an interesting character note for Tommy but she still isn't quite the badass I was hoping she'd be.

• Love 2

The Peaky Blinders are lured by the Italians into a cat-and-mouse chase on the streets of Birmingham, where it becomes clear that Tommy has met his match. Trapped in Small Heath, Tommy tries to console himself with a visit from an old flame but it soon becomes clear that he can't always get what he wants. As his factory lies idle, Tommy confronts the possibility that the Communists might win and he will be deemed a traitor to his class. Meanwhile, Changretta prepares to spring another trap.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 11/30/2017 at 0:56 AM, Emily Thrace said:

Eh I don't think that was Tommy's point.  I think he was just telling Finn if he didn't want the hooker he should have stood up for himself and told Pol to fuck off. That a man doesn't let people push him around.

I agree, I think his point was that Finn needs to step up, because as Tommy said, Finn has a seat at the table, now. I'm not sure if Finn understood totally what Tommy was saying but that may have been the actor and how he played it.

I felt badly for the factory manager - he just wants to gtfo and be with his family. He finally stood up to Tommy when his life was on the line. I believe him and I hope Tommy pays him well for his service. And that he survives this!

Jesse Eden's character is not growing on me the way I had hoped, but perhaps that's because there are so many things going on at once.

I'm not sure what Polly is doing with Luca but I'm sure it will backfire due to lack of communication with Tommy. I hope not, it's a tired trope, but it seems to be the way things go. I also missed how Polly otherwise knew the Changrettas, as Luca referenced his mother knowing who Polly was. I'm sure it's a call back to earlier in the series, but it's muddy right now for me. 

Speaking of Polly - was Arthur correct? Did she set Linda up to keep Arthur from the meet? Are we to assume Linda has relayed the message to Ada from the copper? 

I liked the line one of the Italian henchmen said to Luca, "These people hate forever, like Sicilians". 

• Love 1

"While you're waiting for the man who doesn't exist, would you like to try some of his gin?"

Ah, Curly! Love him, he's such a sweetheart.

"I hear you've got Italians - have you got a kestrel for them as well?"

Tom Brady is fucking genius in this. I won't quote the scene where Alfie Solomans meets Aberama Gold because it was a preview, but it's brilliant.

As cutthroat as Polly is when it comes to Michael, I think she underestimate's Changretta's loyalty to his word.

Tommy finds himself engaged in bloody battle with Luca Changretta and his gang. The family gather to find out what happened, but Lizzie has even greater news to break.

Meanwhile, an army colonel has questions for Ada about her past as a communist, and Jessie Eden confirms just how far she is prepared to go in pursuit of her cause. And sensing an opportunity to capitalise on his situation, Luca Changretta makes his way to London to present a plan to Alfie Solomons.

This is the second-to-last episode of the series - already!

7 hours ago, mledawn said:

As cutthroat as Polly is when it comes to Michael, I think she underestimate's Changretta's loyalty to his word.

I don't think she has. I think she knows damn well Chagretta is trying to cut her off at the knees. That's why she put a black star in Tommy's diary to warn him.

• Love 1

What a set up for the final episode. I had to check Wikipedia to ensure there was a fifth series lined up already - there is.

"Do you know a longer way back, Mr Gold?"
"I know ways back that would take forever"
Who knew he had it in him? Polly has definitely been cooped up in Small Heath too long.

Do we assume Linda didn't tell Ada the message from the police officer?

I love Curly, he's such a closet romantic. Well, not closet at all I suppose!

• Love 1

It's the night of the big fight - Bonnie Gold versus Goliath. But as the bell rings and the crowd goes wild, dangers lurk in the shoadows for Tommy Shelby and his family.

When Changretta plays his final ace, he sets in motion a series of events that will change the Peaky Blinders forever.

Maybe I'm a romantic but I thought Ada and the dashing army colonel had some sparks. I was less keen on Polly and Gold because there is something off about him. 

Poor Lizzie always seems to be hoping that Tommy will see her differently but it doesn't look like he'll choose her even with a baby.  He's already on to his next conquest although I think he and Jessie Eden are both playing each other to varying degrees.

Holy shit.

I knew Arthur was alive. He opened his eyes again when Tommy was holding him. That wouldn't happen if he was actually strangled. I like that the shows throws in little details like that and the black star from a few weeks ago that give hints but doesn't really give it away.

I was never as enthused over Alfie Solomons as some but Iiked that he knew what he was doing in the end. He manipulated everyone to end up exactly where he wanted to even Tommy.

Also someone I noticed who was missing in the end was Michael. Is he not coming back or was he just busy working on something else during this season?

I actually hope the Gold's are back next season. Paulie was fun and Aiden Gillen gave Aberama some real depth with very little screen time.  Aberama might actually work with Polly going forward. He's not going to demand she change nor would she of him. (Although I would hope Polly talks him into a haircut.) They would both come and go when they want to and be together when it suits them. Their equals and that's rare for people who deal in control the way those two do.

I agree that the Jesse Eden segment was a bit tacked on and rushed. Charlie Murphy has a bit of a flat affect and it really didn't work for the firebrand union leader. Also the fact that she and Sophie Rundle look so much alike is confusing and gave the whole thing a slightly Freudian angle. I wish they had given Tommy a different in with the commies than his cock. It cliche and the show has done it already with Grace.

I think Tommy married Lizzie sometime between the meeting with Jessie and the election. I kinda figured that would happen the second Polly said she was pregnant. In fact I think Polly gave Tommy some of her signature straight talk and made it happen. Although Tommy would hardly be the first MP to have a bastard child.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Holy shit.

I knew Arthur was alive. He opened his eyes again when Tommy was holding him. That wouldn't happen if he was actually strangled. 

I was never as enthused over Alfie Solomons as some but Iiked that he knew what he was doing in the end. He manipulated everyone to end up exactly where he wanted to even Tommy.

Also someone I noticed who was missing in the end was Michael. Is he not coming back or was he just busy working on something else during this season?

I agree that the Jesse Eden segment was a bit tacked on and rushed. Charlie Murphy has a bit of a flat affect and it really didn't work for the firebrand union leader. Also the fact that she and Sophie Rundle look so much alike is confusing and gave the whole thing a slightly Freudian angle. I wish they had given Tommy a different in with the commies than his cock. It cliche and the show has done it already with Grace.

I think Tommy married Lizzie sometime between the meeting with Jessie and the election. I kinda figured that would happen the second Polly said she was pregnant. In fact I think Polly gave Tommy some of her signature straight talk and made it happen. Although Tommy would hardly be the first MP to have a bastard child.

I didn't see Arthur open his eyes, so I was a bit devastated. Very happy he didn't die.

Finn Cole is a principal character in the US series "Animal Kingdom". They film in S.California in the spring and the series is shown in the summer. I saw some stills from the final scene in Peaky Blinders that were filmed in Liverpool around the same time this year. So there was probably a scheduling conflict for Finn. I did miss Michael this year though and hope he is included more fully next season. 

I agree with you about Jessie Eden. There were a few times when I thought she was Ada Shelby. The clothes are a dead giveaway though. I felt a bit bad for her in the end. You could tell she knew she'd been used right after the election when he walked away with Lizzie and the family. And yes, he probably married Lizzie for appearances.

I liked Alfie as a sometimes useful foil to Tommy. Even though he wasn't in every episode, he was always amusing whenever he was on screen. So I'll miss him.

• Love 2

I liked the finale. I really enjoyed Tommy and Alfie's scenes together throughout the series, so it was a fun (?) way to end it. Alfie went down on his own terms. I'm still upset about the poor dog, though.

Jesse Eden's storyline was a bit of a disappointment. I'm assuming they are expanding on that next season, but yes it felt rushed, and for crying out loud she gave up information so quickly. I would probably cave under the blue-eyed gaze of Cillian Murphy, too, but the inevitable sex outcome was a bit deflating for the character.

Lizzie does mean something to Tommy, he cares about her, but the marriage does seem for show. Lizzie is also not going to be so passive about Tommy's escapades with other women now that she is married. Clearly they're setting that up to be conflict. 

I am a little fuzzy on what happened to Michael at the beginning of the episode. So Polly told Tommy about her deal with Michael - she sold out her son after all that drama? And Michael took the heat for protecting his mother? 

It must have helped knowing that Series Five was greenlit when writing Series Four so the setup could be done in the finale. Can't wait!

• Love 2

Anybody else think that something was going to happen to Ada during the fight?  The other women left her alone in the toilets and we didn’t see her again until the caravan was being led down the street. 

I was sure she was going to end up dead or kidnapped while everybody was distracted by Arthur. 

• Love 3
On 12/20/2017 at 9:41 PM, LilaFowler said:

I didn't love this. What an uneventful end to the vendetta. Now Tommy is a member of Parliament and playing happy family with an ex-hooker? Okay, sure, fine, whatever.

But that's kinda what this show is.  Tommy does't out shoot the bad guy.  More often then not he out manipulates them and uses his family to do it.   Plus why not an ex-hooker?  Its not like women had too many career options back then.  And she does fit in nicely with the rest of the family.    

On 12/21/2017 at 8:21 PM, mledawn said:

Jesse Eden's storyline was a bit of a disappointment. I'm assuming they are expanding on that next season, but yes it felt rushed, and for crying out loud she gave up information so quickly. I would probably cave under the blue-eyed gaze of Cillian Murphy, too, but the inevitable sex outcome was a bit deflating for the character.

That burned through way too quick but it also looks like its going to be a big part of next season as well.  Tommy seducing her and using her to to break a union strike.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Heh, "just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

Loved that Tommy decided that while he was blackmailing King George to get his family safely released, he also threw in an OBE for himself.

As soon as the housekeeper said that the chef was pestering her to find out when Christmas dinner would be, I knew something was up. I mean, I know it's information that the chef needs since he has to figure out when to start cooking stuff in order to have it ready to be served, but still. It was something minor that we wouldn't normally see in Tommy's day to day activities so it was obvious that it was there for a reason, which made me glad that Tommy figured it out before he got himself murdered. I was glad that the plan was just for Antonio to kill him. I was afraid that the chef was going to poison the food and kill everyone.

After Tommy killed Antonio (wrecking the chef's preparation in the process) and then sent the chef away, I thought well now what are these 28 people going to have for dinner? I may have been hungry while I was watching this episode so clearly my priorities were with the food.

Damn it, Michael! If you have time to tell Esme to get inside, then you have time to get inside too. Don't just stand there completely defenseless and get shot! This was such a sharp contrast to Ada and Tommy with their glove compartment guns, desk guns, closet full of guns, etc. Hell, even Antonio had a gun stashed while he was peeling potatoes! When I saw that truck carrying hay was as wide as the road leading to Arthur's house, I had my suspicions but I wish I had been wrong because it was terrible to see John and Tommy gunned down.

Poor Polly. I know that they have all been affected by prison and almost being hanged, but she is a mess. Considering everything that's happening, they really need the old sharp Polly back.

• Love 1

First of all, never trust Tommy Carcetti! Secondly, never trust Littlefinger! Thirdly, even if you don’t know how shady Carcetto and Littlefinger are, never trust someone named Aberama Gold! Lastly,  how can you ever fully trust someone who you hire to kill for you? All it would take is for your enemy to pay them more. 

Awwww, John. I don’t blame Esme for getting her kids the fuck away from the Shelbys. 

• Love 3

The scene with Michael and his other mother was nice. She clearly still loves him but she knew that he wouldn’t leave the Shelbys. Can’t blame her for asking him to come home though. His face when she told him that his father had died though - so sad. That said it all to me. Once Tommy came for Michael, she knew he wasn’t coming back, which is why she didn’t come to Birmingham to tell him that his father died when it happened. 

Poor Devlin. The price you pay for Tommy trusting you is having people threaten your family and setting your curtains on fire. He just wanted to keep his wife and kids safe and get out of harm’s way. 

When Arthur was covered in red paint and killing those two guys, I thought well, Arthur’s back!

On 12/1/2017 at 4:46 AM, mledawn said:

Speaking of Polly - was Arthur correct? Did she set Linda up to keep Arthur from the meet?

Linda basically admitted it when Arthur accused her of being in cahoots with Polly. She definitely didn’t deny it and then she said, “I want you safe. Polly wants you safe.”

• Love 2

I agree. Lizzie was clearly pissed in S4.E1 when he bluntly asked the guy at the hotel which prostitute he had lined up for the evening, but she's never outright said she's jealous. She knew when he had sex with her that he was pretending she was someone else. When he found out that she was pregnant, his first solution was an abortion. When she said she was keeping the baby, his first concern was who would run the office for him. Instead of offering to marry her, he said she had to stay home and he would give her money. For the record, as a modern woman, I have no issue with unwed mothers and I think it's silly to get married just because someone is pregnant. But this show takes place almost a hundred years ago and there was still a huge stigma for unmarried mothers and bastard children. Tommy hasn't been in love with anyone since Grace died so I assumed that he would offer to marry Lizzie to make his kid seem respectable.

I thought the idea of Luca Changretta showing up to revenge his parents ...and a brother, too, I think...was a good underlying problem for the season.  At the same time. Knight  sets up the labor problems; this is a continuation of the story from previous seasons, but it remains secondary in this season.

But... I  had trouble believing the final episode and the resolution to the vendetta, which had occupied most of the previous episodes.   What, all those gunmen who show up with Luca are suddenly Capone's Chicago guys?  I believe Tommy could make a deal with Capone via phone and send Michael to NYC to close the deal...by sea, remember...it is still the twenties...but the betrayal of all Changretta's hired gunmen from either Italy or NY seems bogus.  A more believable ending requires that someone ambushes and kills him, surely; let Tommy be saved by Arthur when Changretta makes a final attempt to kill Tommy...thinking Tommy is the last man standing.  

Meanwhile, I think the Red/Labor Union issues needed a bit more development.  This is all too hastily shoved into the background.  As someone else noted earlier, Jessie gives up names far too quickly.  There needs to have been a couple more episodes.  Everything is too condensed here.  

While I do believe Tommy would have been able to discredit the Reds and turn the labor movement into the Labour Party...after all, that happened...the show did make short shrift of all of that after setting up the Jessie Eden character.  Sort of.  

I thought the Jessie Eden character ought to have been based on an historical character, but given a different name...she did serve to remind Tommy of what and who he had been before the war.  I think a return to or a reminder of what had once been important to him helps us buy his turn to unions, politics, and all that.

At the end Jessie  seems to realize she has been used ... the camera catches a surprised look on her face when she sees Lizzie at the end walking out with Tom and the baby.  But do we know for sure that he has married Lizzie?  As someone noted earlier, he would not be the first MP with an illegitimate child.  After all, he is a known gangster and I doubt those who voted for him would imagine he was a faithful husband and family man in the traditional sense.  

On the issue of so little of Michael being seen this season, it may be true that filming of Peaky Blinders may have begun before filming of Animal Kingdom ended.  Also, I think Finn Cole was in two other movies made in the summer.  At the same time, we have the addition of two major actors to the cast, Aiden Gillen and Adrien Brody.  In six episodes, there is only so much screen time available.

Did anyone besides me think the Marlon Brando/Don Corleone accent Brody adopted was a hoot? 

• Love 3