Type keyword(s) to search

The "Bones" Past Seasons Chat Thread: TNT, Netflix, and Local Reruns, Oh My!

WendyCR72

So Season 6 is a very weird hybrid of the brilliant early seasons and the monstrosity that is season 7/8.

Brennan switches between talking like a normal person and sing-songing from one episode to the next, or sometimes one scene to the next. In one episode robot!Brennan tells a new widow "your husband obviously enjoyed copulating;" in the next human!Brennan is slyly telling Cam "Booth is hungover" so they can giggle like besties while they watch him try to hide from the sun. In one episode, Sweets announces that Brennan is incapable of imagining how someone else feels and the rest of the cast nods sagely; in another, Sweets announces that Brennan doesn't care about a traumatized teenager and the rest of the cast glowers at him like he's a jackass.

On the one hand, there's the beginning of the interminable mothers and babies and pregnancy are wacky! wacky we tell you!!!! plots. On the other, Broadsky is my favorite of any of the recurring villains and his takedown was far more satisfying than the Gravedigger's or Pelant's.

Random note: I really liked Tina Majorino's junior FBI agent for many of the same reasons I like Aubrey in the later seasons.

Musical note: Using To Make You Feel My Love for the season ending montage with the birth/pregnancy announcement was beneath this show. I don't dislike the song, but there was no need to go for the most hackneyed, cliched possible choice. (I feel the same way about using At Last as the wedding song. No.) Even in its weaker seasons, Show usually has eclectic and clever music choices. It should have trusted itself instead of resorting to stereotype. Both of the episodes leading up to the season finale had excellent montages: Keep the Streets Empty for Me with Booth's whole team apparently vulnerable to Broadsky and Soft Shock while Brennan identifies the kidnapped deaf teenager.

And finally: Christine was annoying from the moment of conception. Those fools had six years to shove each other up against a wall in a heated moment or something. Instead they opted for sad panda procreational sex while a janitor was scrubbing poor Vincent's blood off the floor.

• Love 1

One of the shows they marathoned yesterday had (very, very Catholic former army Ranger) Booth telling a young FBI agent to let him know "when the Calvary gets here."

If in case anyone was wondering if this show actually got measurably dumber as time went on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Because the cavalry is a group of soldiers who, in movies, frequently save the day by riding to the rescue. Calvary is the hill Jesus died on. It's a common mistake, just not one Booth would make.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I may be extra dumb today....I don't see how Booth quotes a generic line from many western movies "let me know when the Calvary gets here" how is that at ALL related in ANY way to he church?

Clearly I skipped bible study ..... Sorry God and baby Jesus.<<<< Virtual fist bump.>>>>>

The Cavalry was a branch or division of the Army..... Of some sort. When Booth mentioned the Calvary, I'm pretty sure he was asking about " back up" and not referring to the the hill Jesus died on.

Which is the point. He meant cavalry, not Calvary. Many people wouldn't know the difference -- it is a common mistake -- but Booth is very Catholic. Booth would know the difference and would get the word right.

• Love 3

I can't add anything about the cavalry or Calvary, but this does remind me that I was bugged by the way the show handled the exposition in the episode about the Amish piano prodigy. They had Brennan doing the narrative with Booth making lots of "huh? what?" faces. I said out loud to the screen, "Booth is from Pennsylvania!"

Lancaster County is basically adjacent to greater Philadelphia. Even assuming that Booth's assorted parental figures weren't the type to drive him to Amish country to pet baby animals and drink homemade root beer, it was really hard for me to swallow that he'd never had any interactions with the Amish, let alone that his social studies/civics/local history curriculum in school never hit on the basics.

I know that they had to get the background exposition in there somewhere, but I really wish they'd had Booth do the narration, Brennan express surprise that he knew, and Booth remind her where he's from. The Booth-is-a-moron-who's-just-there-to-be-the-muscle thing got tiresome.

• Love 3

The Cavalry was a branch or division of the Army..... Of some sort. When Booth mentioned the Calvary, I'm pretty sure he was asking about " back up" and not referring to the the hill Jesus died on.

Just a bit of trivia - the Cavalry is still a part of the Army. My BIL is career Army (has been in service for over 20 years), started out as Cavalry, and they even train them to ride horses.

ETA - From the U.S. Army's website - http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/cavalry-scout.html

Edited by CarpeDiem54

But it is still airing on TNT. On Wednesday, it airs from 5:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. the following morning (Thursday), then from 5:00 p.m. Thursday until 8:00 p.m.; Friday is the same as Thursday. May be its new schedule, so check your listings! (I am on the east coast for reference.)

ETA: Checked the following week on Zap2It's listings, and the same schedule as above seems to hold. So it just changed time and may be on fewer days.

• Love 1

It is a new schedule as of yesterday.  I always watched it from 1-4 every day which I loved.  Now I have to stream it on Netflix which is fine, but having it end at four Monday through Thursday helped me remember it was time to be done with work.

On 10/3/2016 at 2:15 PM, mojoween said:

Bones is no longer on every day at 1 pm on TNT.

My day is ruined.

Ms. Yimitz was rather cheesed to discover this as well.  I set our DVR to grab the episodes on the new schedule so she has some "in the bank."  She is appeased ... mostly.

Edited by yimitz
  • Love 1

It's old news by now but TNT came to their senses and put it back on during the day.  Yay!

I love "The End in the Beginning" so very much.  I know Hart was pandering, but I don't care.

I love Nigel Murray saying to Zach he wouldn't be stupid enough to go to jail for a murder he didn't commit.  I love Sweets saying that some people say he's Gormagon (my husband was always convinced it was Sweets from the start; I was skeptical).

This episode is in my triad with the first Christmas one and the one where Bones and Hodgins are buried alive.  And I mean that of all TV I have ever watched in my lifetime, that these are my favorite episodes of anything ever.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

the one where Bones and Hodgins are buried alive.

Oh, I love "Aliens In A Spaceship"! Of course, the revelation of the Gravedigger had me going WTF, wondering how one woman could do all she did, but that episode was terrific. I did love "The Boy With The Answer" (I think that was the title) in S5, when Hodgins/Brennan have to revisit what they went through thanks to a connected case and we see how differently they react, but both with good points.

I so miss the nuanced writing and acting from the earlier seasons.

• Love 1

I'm watching The Resurrection in the Remains on TNT, haven't seen it since it first aired, not after they killed Abbie. It makes me smad  (sad and mad) to see all that beauty and chemistry between Ichabbie, how gorgeous NB is, and how much I miss TM's turn of phrase. So I'm trying to look at the episode from just a Bones fan perspective instead of a Bones and Sleepy Hollow until-the-end-of-S3 fan, and I'm enjoying their story. Maybe it's still a bit of sadness since Bones is over now and I'm feeling all nostalgic and soft and shit but I don't think they did a bad job with this portion of the crossover. I also forgot Chad Lowe directed, good on him. 

It looks like they're not showing the SH portion tonight though. Kinda glad, not sure I'm ready for all the Ichabbie punches to the gut in it. 

I don't participate in this thread, so I haven't read all the stuff. I watched 3 or 4 seasons of this show on reruns during the daytime a few years ago, it's ok, I liked parts of the show ok, but it's not one I spend any real time on. 

Now, after saying all that, I have a question about a scene that might have been on this show. And people on this thread watch it so, you're the experts! We have an ice cream truck in our neighborhood, most of the time I don't pay much attention, but every now & then their tape plays "It's a Small World." I hate that song. I make jokes on FB about things like, ice cream truck playing that song, shoot me now or good thing all my guns are miniatures and packed, that ice cream truck tape would be toast.

Wasn't there a scene where Booth shot a clown head on an ice cream truck? Or was that in some other show? I'm going nuts here, can't remember where I saw that. 

Our truck doesn't have a clown head, but it plays that stupid song way too often. I bear no ill will toward the driver, I just hate that song. I like when it plays Music Box Dancer, I don't even mind Ruben, Ruben I've Been Thinking. I feel a bit disconcerted with Adeste Fideles and Joy to the World during the summer months.

I still really love this show. After all the comparisons between Bones and Castle, I am firmly on the 'Bones was better' train. I am so happy they didn't take a sledgehammer to any of the relationships and I can watch repeats with ease knowing the showrunners chose to mostly do right by fans, unlike that other show. I find that, because the faith wasn't broken, I am able to let missteps go more easily on Bones than I am with Castle. I still haven't watched any of those repeats since they went off the air, and honestly don't know if I ever will again.

I see TNT has circled back to Season 6 after showing the final season - I'm glad they didn't start over from the beginning again. I haven't seen the last few seasons' episodes as much as the early season ones, so I'm looking forward to that. I wasn't a fan of Hannah's but now in retrospect, I understand a little better the reasoning behind bringing her on before getting B&B together. And I like most of the episodes after The BMX Biker in the Mold, when she's finally ousted. And today they're showing The Change in the Game and kicking off Season 7, so this fan is a happy camper right now. 

• Love 1

Speaking of The Change in the Game, I didn't realize all the little nuances I really liked about that episode. Wendell's 'I'm about to Brennan-ize you!' and Hodgins 'Baby! Ok ok! Baby! Where are my keys??!!' Brennan telling Booth that if Angela went into labor while they were undercover, they'd have to pick a fight so she could be there to 'catch the baby' was funny in context with her hand gestures, like she was gonna catch a baseball lol. Loved Max insisting at the bowling alley that they needed to act more like a couple, Booth's expression as Bones comes to him and he kisses her on the cheek, and Max's subsequent 'Uh huh', knowing look at Booth. I think Max did that on purpose, to see how they'd react and if he could tell things had changed in their relationship. Bones answering the phone, 'This is Wanda, at the BOWLING ALLEY', and 'You are a HORRIBLE CHILD!' Yes, yes, she was, Tempe lol. 

I feel like TNT didn’t show all of the final season, unless I missed some?  Because I think I was watching a final season ep and then suddenly Mr. Nigel Murray was there.

Aww now I’m sad all over again because he never graduated from Miss or Mister to Doctor like Daisy, Arastoo and Fisher, who I realize I do not know his first name.

• Love 1

Hey so I’m new to forums so not sure how this all works but I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out which episode a certain scene is from. The scene involves Brennan and Hodgins for sure (maybe Zack) and Booth and Angela (and maybe Cam). The team is under some kind of time crunch and Booth is pressing Them to make some kind of guess and then Brennan says something along the lines of “we’re scientists, we don’t guess. People like us can’t work when people like you are pressuring us” and then she asks booth and Angela (and maybe Cam) to leave so she and Hodgins (and maybe Zack) can work out the problem. I’m almost positive that Hodgins and Angela are in a relationship by this point. If anyone can tell me when this scene happens I’ll be so happy

I’m not sure, but it could be one where a girl who went to parochial school is killed, and then they realize there was another girl taken who is being held hostage, and they have to figure out where she is?  And Booth is getting all het up because he knows she’s running out of time.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:20 AM, Valixiar said:

Hey so I’m new to forums so not sure how this all works but I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out which episode a certain scene is from. The scene involves Brennan and Hodgins for sure (maybe Zack) and Booth and Angela (and maybe Cam). The team is under some kind of time crunch and Booth is pressing Them to make some kind of guess and then Brennan says something along the lines of “we’re scientists, we don’t guess. People like us can’t work when people like you are pressuring us” and then she asks booth and Angela (and maybe Cam) to leave so she and Hodgins (and maybe Zack) can work out the problem. I’m almost positive that Hodgins and Angela are in a relationship by this point. If anyone can tell me when this scene happens I’ll be so happy

Ok I'm kinda angry.

I marathoned through 6 seasons... and the whole Booth and Brennan getting together was so anticlimactic... like there's this build up for years (it took me few weeks, I can't imagine how let down the fans of the show were IRL), there's tension, there's chemistry...

and then...

"ok, it happened, whatevs"

• Love 3

I WOULD like to give the show casting department props for using accent-true actors for small roles of foreigners. Or at least keeping in a language group. I'm really annoyed at what American (and British) actors think Slavic accent sounds like. Here, they might have had a Russian playing Bosnian, but at least it's close enough to sound authentic.

On 2018-05-29 at 7:53 AM, vavera4ka said:

Ok I'm kinda angry.

I marathoned through 6 seasons... and the whole Booth and Brennan getting together was so anticlimactic... like there's this build up for years (it took me few weeks, I can't imagine how let down the fans of the show were IRL), there's tension, there's chemistry...

and then...

"ok, it happened, whatevs"

I came here to say exactly this. I feel cheated of not getting that big cathartic moment. And it was implied they slept together in the episode prior to the finale after Vincent died but again, they robbed us of that moment too. Now that they’re together (I’m on season 8) I’m not as interested in them. That and I generally hate when a ship has kids since they don’t interest me... but I digress. I miss the angst and longing. 

• Love 2

I found that this is on Netflix and I like having procedurals running in the background when I work from home. Something about the similar rhythm of every episode. 

However, the season when Angela was going celibate and inappropriately hit on the interns and then slept with one of them was incredibly grating. It's not sexy, it's incredibly inappropriate and I would consider it sexual harassment. If this was a guy, no one would find it funny or cute. Nothing about this was cute considering the power imbalance between the characters.

• Love 1

Since it had been a while since I watched 'Bones', I started recording the episodes on TNT when the rotation began again.  Unfortunately, TNT tends to skip episodes now and then, which ticks me off (they skipped the Christmas episode from the first season-- 'The man in the fallout shelter' -- and I was looking forward to that one).  However, I was happy that they didn't skip one of my favorite episodes, season five's 'The X in the file'.  I loved the whole UFO story line, from the appearance of the body, the glowing orange eyes (creepy!), the victim's 'X files' ringtone, to the 'UFO' footage.  I do have to say that my favorite scene was when the body sits up during the MRI and Booth tries to shoot it.  (Booth:  'I won't tell anyone about the scream, if you won't tell about the gun.')  

One reason I think I like this one so much, is that although I'm not sure if I believe aliens have visited us or not the whole 'UFO culture' is fascinating (and reading about UFOs and aliens is a guilty pleasure).