Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Human Trials

Lincoln enters a world of pain

Is he being forced to watch this show in a continuous marathon ?

President Dante Wallace issues a warning

I'm curious if the Vice-President's first name is Randall -- and the two of them are running the Mt. Weather Quik Stop franchise.

Here's a couple of preview clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H9eIj5m3AU

That line by Abby that Clarke is "still just a kid" is pretty cringe-worthy from the writers.  And Kane gets a taste of Grounder-style diplomacy at the heel of a grounder's foot.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/11/the-100-episode-205-human-trials-sneak.html

Nice to see that Clarke has shrugged off getting shot in the shoulder overnight -- her post-girlfight facial makeup is pretty bad. And her boobs are as big as ever as she runs to Bellamy.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

So, I'm assuming(hoping)that Finn will be dead soon. He was so vanilla before and did a complete 180 to murderous psycho. I'm not sure how anything can redeem mowing down innocent people. The whole thing was bizarre.

• Love 3

Finn just went and mass murdered almost an entire village of Grounders. This for a girl he knew less than few months. 

The Mountain Men are creating Reapers from. I am having a flashback to the Movie Serenity created by Joss Whedon.

Hated Abby when she slapped Raven. The girl who risked her life to see if Clarke is alive for Abby all because she wanted to rescue Kane who was whipping her last week? Did I miss something or what?

Love the reunion between Bellamy, Clarke, Raven and Octavia. 

• Love 3

Finn just went My Lai on those poor villagers.  There is no coming back from that and I hope Clarke holds him to it.  His transformation essentially came out of no where, but if he's going to be a crazy-eyed psychopath, the writers should continue holding nothing back.

In that scene by the campfire, I'm fairly certain Bellamy was transfixed by Clarke's cleavage.  Poor Octavia is stuck on the most sexually-charged rescue mission of all time.

Apparently, AJ from "Empire Records" went to art school in Boston and came back a sociopath.  YIKES.  I really thought Lincoln was being bred for genetically superior half-grounder babies and drug-induced super soldier isn't any better.  With that "thoroughbred" comment, the slavery comparisons couldn't have been more clear.  I appreciate the conflict that Mount Weather provides, but I need to see all those people suffer.

I need Abby to adopt Raven so she and Clarke can be real sisters.

The less said about Kane and Jaha the better.  Who knew a desolate desert and lush forest were within walking distance?

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 3

If I were Ricky Whittle, I'd be getting my agent to renegotiate my contract. Damn, but that poor man has had practically nothing to do on this series but get tortured. Basically, he got to adore Octavia from afar, bed her a few times, and then suffer in perpetuity.

Finn has turned into an overnight psychotic. He's horrible and ridiculous and I think it's time for him to die.

What is it about becoming Chancellor that makes someone an instant petty dictator and stupid as well? I am referring, of course, to Abby. What a bitch!

Clarke reuniting with Raven, Bellamy, and Octavia was great. I like how they didn't make it all about the Bellarke ship like I feared they might. Even after knowing how popular the pairing is, the writers aren't forcing it. Clarke hugging everyone was an emotional moment, but they didn't dwell on shipping and instead the first concern on the characters' minds were their fellow members of the 100.

I like everybody ignoring Abby. These kids have survived more than she can even comprehend and she acts like she should be obeyed as if they were back on the Ark. She and all of the other adults need to learn that the kids have the knowledge and experience that the adults lack.

I love the Bellamy/Octavia scenes. Their scenes together are pretty much the only time I care about Octavia.

Finn is officially insane. Its not a good sign when even Murphy thingks you're crazy. I think the Finn/Clarke ship is dead. After tonight, I think Finn dies in the mid-season finale.

But man, those Grounders sure are stupid. They pick the moment Finn was going to leave to be idiots and try to escape.

• Love 3

I evilly loved it that Clarke reunited with Bellamy first, after the way Finn has been acting these past few episodes.  But, then it is brilliantly followed by her seeing him mowing down a bunch of helpless Grounders?  Hilarious!  I love that Finn is being exposed as the psycho he has become.  In the end, the most telling part was that he was making Murphy of all people go "Dude, dude!  Stop it!"  When he's telling to lay off the violence and crazy, you have issues.

Even past that, the Clarke/Bellamy hug was actually pretty good in it's own right.  I loved Bellamy's WTF? face, along with Octavia's "This is just weird!" reaction.

So, the Mount Weather folks are turning the Cerberus "volunteers" into Reapers?  I was a bit confused by that.  Either way, things look bad for Lincoln.  Meanwhile, it seems like Jasper's blood can cure radiation, so now they want to experiment on him, Monty, and the rest of the 47.  Oh, Mount Weather.  You are so evil!

Abbie's going to need to get it together and accept that Clarke isn't a little girl anymore.  And, maybe, just maybe, if you're the Acting Chancellor, slapping the crippled person isn't a way to endear you to anyone.  Raven was pretty forgiving though.  Good for her, I guess.

Speaking of Chancellors, Kane trusts the Grounder, is betrayed, is tossed in a prison with... Jaha?!  WTF?!

• Love 2

Ugh... is it just me, or is this show filled with really stupid people?? Clarke wasn't as stupid this episode as she'd been in some of the earlier ones, but plenty of people were picking up her slack.

Abby... Finn... the grounder who decided to run just when Finn and Murphey were getting ready to go... Kane... and of course, the Mt. Weather people...

How long has it been since the radiation stuff? I don't remember how long they said they had all been in space, but wasn't it like 80 years or something?  The president guy remembered being a kid and at that point seeing people outside surviving....

Why on earth would you capture people with the genetics to survive outside/ survive radiation and waste time draining their blood/ turning them into zombie soliders when you could have started a breeding program with them and by now have generations that would have growing tolerance to the radiation? That's what I expected them to want with the 47... like they somehow thought they were more civilized, and suitable for breeding with compared to the grounders or something.

And how many people are getting injured by radiation on a regular basis? I'd think if they weren't such creepy bastards, they could easily get volunteers, like they did with Jasper to help people who were sick (assuming Jasper doesn't have some shitty long lasting side effects from the "treatment" and also leaving out the ridiculousness of that whole treatment plan from a science/blood type incompatibility etc. standpoint and that removing the radiation would magically heal your damaged skin etc. ) As long as it wasn't abused, they wouldn't have to hang them and use up all their blood and torture them... though I suppose they need someone to feed to the reapers.

Finn has lost his mind... definitely a huge shift from who he was in the first season... I hope they don't go anywhere near this love triangle thing again with him... cause I'm not interested... I'm not a fan of Murphy's big redemption arc either... but this was bad on Finn.

Edited by Jjrmt

The less said about Kane and Jaha the better.  Who knew a desolate desert and lush forest were within walking distance?

Speaking of Chancellors, Kane trusts the Grounder, is betrayed, is tossed in a prison with... Jaha?!  WTF?!

In less than a day, Jaha went from being abandoned in the desert in the New York area after being slashed in the chest by a grounder to miraculously show up nearly 250 miles away. How did he get there ? How come his chest wound is healed ?  WTF ?  It's like they skipped an episode -- do the grounders have airplanes or dirigibles that we have yet to see ?

Finn just went and mass murdered almost an entire village of Grounders. This for a girl he knew less than few months.

In show time, it has only been a couple of weeks actually, which makes it even weirder.

In that scene by the campfire, I'm fairly certain Bellamy was transfixed by Clarke's cleavage.  Poor Octavia is stuck on the most sexually-charged rescue mission of all time.

Remember that Bellamy used to have a couple of sleepover hotties back in the do-whatever-we-want days after the dropship landed.  Maybe he's just getting backed up.

So, the Mount Weather folks are turning the Cerberus "volunteers" into Reapers?  I was a bit confused by that.

Drug-addicted cannibal super-soldiers -- but Octavia's love will bring him back from the point of no return.

Meanwhile, it seems like Jasper's blood can cure radiation, so now they want to experiment on him, Monty, and the rest of the 47.  Oh, Mount Weather.  You are so evil!

Based on that conversation between evil doctor, Doctor Singh and the President, I'm thinking that the radiation leak that dosed Maya was intentional to setup a test of Jasper's Miracle Cure blood.

And, maybe, just maybe, if you're the Acting Chancellor, slapping the crippled person isn't a way to endear you to anyone. 

That seemed completely out of character for Abby -- and slapping underlings didn't work out so well for Gen. Patton in WW2, so it's true that those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

In the end, the most telling part was that he was making Murphy of all people go "Dude, dude!  Stop it!"  When he's telling to lay off the violence and crazy, you have issues.

When Murphy the batshit crazy violent guy is the voice of reason, you know you have crossed a line Finn !!  I liked that Clarke saw Finn in psycho crazy killer mode so that he can't just wave it off as his actions being misunderstood.

What in the ever loving....um.  How did Finn end up in dropship prison?  I hope it was an act of violence and not something petty like stealing a cup of water when he was dying of dehydration.  Because being imprisoned for even a minor act of violence would make this complete 180 make sense.  It's one thing becoming a bit vicious after a few weeks of hell being thrown your way.  But to murder an entire village of people in cold blood?  No fucking way.  And there's no way I can believe he loved Clarke so much that his worry for her has made him legally insane.  Nope.  There's no way he can come back from this.  The only sort of redemption path available is if he were tortured for an extended period of time and even then it's not true redemption so much as just feeling sorry for the dude.  I hope this does not get brushed under the rug.  I wouldn't be opposed to them dragging Finn back to be imprisoned and Raven sneaking him out and running away with him.  And now that I think about it, Raven is so awesome Finn would be redeemed simply by association.  In any case, I wouldn't have a problem if Raven helped Finn because she wasn't there so while she might understand that he did something horrifying, there's still reason for her to believe it wasn't as monstrous as it really was since she didn't see with her own eyes.

Then there is Abby.  Just shut up Abby, and keep your hands off Raven.  I like how last season the adult storyline was so much better than the kids.  Now it's like "who put those adults in charge?  What annoying idiots!".  Even the Mount Weather people, not just villainous but actually stupid.  Because apparently a breeding program won't work.  I guess not even some sort of exposure program won't work.  So now they have to go as monstrous as possible.  Eye roll.  

I'm liking the hair and make up this season.  Season one felt like a non stop hair product commercial.  This season it actually looks like these people are dirty.  

Really not looking forward to Lincoln being saved by twu wuv.  Gag.  He and Octavia barely know one another, and have spent even less time together than Finn and Clarke.  However, at least if Lincoln goes on a mass murdering spree, he'll have the excuse of being severely drugged.  Lincoln wins.  I just hope it means he gets to continue filming with his shirt off 99% of the time.  

As ridiculous as this show can be (and I haven't even touched on Jaha somehow making it from the desert to the lush forest in like an hour after getting bashed on the head), I still find it thoroughly enjoyable. It's definitely not as cringe worthy as season one, and I think it has everything to do with dropping some of the extreme focus on the love pentagon.  

• Love 3

In less than a day, Jaha went from being abandoned in the desert in the New York area after being slashed in the chest by a grounder to miraculously show up nearly 250 miles away. How did he get there ? How come his chest wound is healed ?  WTF ?  It's like they skipped an episode -- do the grounders have airplanes or dirigibles that we have yet to see ?

I thought Jaha was clubbed when he surrendered? Maybe I'm forgetting something, they barrel through plots on this show like there's no tomorrow.

ETA: I thought it was super telling that the Mount Weather president chose to tell Jasper about Clarke's leaving and not someone like Monty. Jasper is a bit more timid and has ties to Mount Weather now, so of course he's going to be more hesitant to leave and just sort of hand wave Clarke's leaving and the Weatherians subsequent lying about her. Plus, if Jasper does decide to leave and then "disappears,"no one can trace it back to their sinister plans. Very smart piece of maneuvering by President Old Dude.I wonder how many rebellions he's put down during his tenure.

ETAx2: Monty for President!

Edited by Smug47
I thought Jaha was clubbed when he surrendered? Maybe I'm forgetting something, they barrel through plots on this show like there's no tomorrow.

You are correct, I took a look at the last episode -- he was clubbed, for some reason I thought he was sliced with a sword.  Still, that doesn't explain the ridiculous travel nonsense -- it's Revolution all over again.  Next thing you know they will be walking to Texas in a day.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

The less said about Kane and Jaha the better.  Who knew a desolate desert and lush forest were within walking distance?

They did have a horse.  Not that that makes more sense, but they did...  And not that I'm trying to justify anything, but in Oklahoma we have an area called Little Sahara, with actual sand dunes, in the western part of the state.  You'd think you were in the real Sahara.  Guess what is less than 50 miles away?  A forest!  Go figure.  (Just saying that I could suspend belief on this story line, and usually most of the others too.)

Apparently, AJ from "Empire Records" went to art school in Boston and came back a sociopath.  YIKES.

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out how I knew that guy and it was really bothering me!

The Arkers are so stupid.  Their committee meeting without Raven, Clarke, Bellamy, and Octavia was the dumbest thing this show has ever done.  And even if they are dismissing them as kids, Bellamy isn't a kid.  They have experience and know the area.  Even if you don't give them any power, use their knowledge!

Love that Wick was helping Raven, just wish we could have seen him.  And where's Miller?  What about his dad?  I like these people, and want to know what's going on!

ETAx2: Monty for President!

Monty's "I'll wait right here" scene was pure gold.

Edited by Slider
  • Love 2

I feel like they are rushing through the plot way too fast. Jaha and Kane are already back together. Clarke was reunited with her mom, Bellamy and Finn in just one episode.  That’s too much, too soon. I wanted to see more from those reunions but the story moved so fast that they didn’t give us any time to process it at all. They completely forgot about writing for the characters.

But man, those Grounders sure are stupid. They pick the moment Finn was going to leave to be idiots and try to escape.

Yeah, the grounders were really stupid. They were killing the 100 left and right last season, so they couldn’t expect Finn and Murphy to just trust them. That scene was poorly set up and seemed to exist only for Finn to start killing unarmed grounders. I don’t really like Finn but that was just badly done for the sake of a twist.

I don’t believe the writers are capable of pulling off a Finn going crazy or suffering from PTSD storyline. He’s alway been a jerk but there was no indication he was a psycho murderer in season 1 and I refuse to believe that Raven, an awesome character, would have been in love with a guy like this. They also shouldn’t try to redeem Murphy. I hate that Raven didn’t have him arrested for shooting her.

I still don’t like Bellamy but he’s more interesting when he’s with Octavia. I’m having trouble caring about her heartbreak over Lincoln when she’s only known him for a few weeks.

Meanwhile, Jasper continues to stupidly trust the mountain people even though Monty, at least, has tried to knock some sense into him. But apart from him, I’m curious to see what’s going to happen with Lincoln and the 48 on Mount Weather. They have me intrigued on that.

Well I mean, if we're going on the assumption that these events (Jaha landing in the desert and him and Kane seeing other) are taking place a week or two apart, it's not that giant a leap of logic. The average human can cover 20 miles in a day if they're just walking, but we also know that the desert people have horses too.

• Love 3

The grounders have Jaha? Wasn't he in the Sahara desert on a different continent? How the heck did he end up exactly at the grounders camp?

Finn's gone slaughtering innocent women and children crazy. When Murphy is the voice of reason and looking at you like you're a psychotic murderer, then Finn's gone nuts. Then his "I found you." Umm no, she found you, you didn't find anyone, you slaughtered people. 

The "adults" need to stop acting like the original crew are kids who needs parents and guidance. They know more than them and they just keep making things worse. 

The grounders have Jaha? Wasn't he in the Sahara desert on a different continent? How the heck did he end up exactly at the grounders camp?

Finn's gone slaughtering innocent women and children crazy. When Murphy is the voice of reason and looking at you like you're a psychotic murderer, then Finn's gone nuts. Then his "I found you." Umm no, she found you, you didn't find anyone, you slaughtered people. 

The "adults" need to stop acting like the original crew are kids who needs parents and guidance. They know more than them and they just keep making things worse. 

I thought Jaha landed near the east coast... didn't we get a shot of like the statue of liberty or some other such monument? Or am I making that up?

But either way... the idea was that he landed close, but not quite near where he was aiming for... still in the US, but a good distance from where the ark landed. The woman who saved him turned him over to the grounders/ some version of grounders last week...

I think we did see the Statue of Liberty when Jaha landed.  But the Lincoln Memorial is also sitting in the middle of a lush forest near Mount Weather so it's hard to determine where the SoL might be actually be sitting.  

I assume that the desert Jaha landed in is relatively new and only exists because of the war we don't know much about. Perhaps the early Grounders moved the Lincoln Memorial? You'd think they'd have more important things to do but there it sits in Virginia, unless it's Mount Weather that was moved. TBH I think the writers are employing the Rule of Cool logic be damned.  

Totally called them ripping off Firefly with how the Reapers are created. Interesting that Dante didn't want the 48 to be used as test subjects and that he called Jasper the patient while the doctor only thought of him as shiny new lab equipment.

My ship is reunited and the show feels more like its self again.    

In fairness to the show, I think they want us to be annoyed that the adults are so dismissive of the 100, and they're doing a good job of that, at least.

The way that everyone keeps coming up with stupid plans is starting to grow on me. I LOL'd when Kane got thrown in a pit.

• Love 1

all of this Finn hate everywhere i look... imo its unecessary. Do people not remeber how the grounders treated his friends throughout the show so far?

Not saying any of this stuff justifies his actions,  just look at it from his point of view. FInn the peacemaker tired his best to stop any violence, (he is obviously a very sensitive and caring dude)... and what did the grounders do in return? they mercilessly and brutally slaughtered anyone they could get thier hands on( thats all he knows besides lincoln), and now the people that have been terrorizing all of his frends has also taken the girl he is in love with.

" omg this is a just a sweet little village with innocent people, finns a monster, lets pity the grounders now"  ... how the hell is he supposed to know that they were harmless...and did we even????? they would have probaly let the little kid slit Finns throat, for all we know. He can not be now branded a phsyco simply by not showing remorse after killing the grounders... if the Bellark gang shuns him and he feels no remorse and turns on everyone. then the judging adn branding can start.

Finn. Raven. Monty.

Edited by sharpiedom
  • Love 3

all of this Finn hate everywhere i look... imo its unecessary. Do people not remeber how the grounders treated his friends throughout the show so far?

Not saying any of this stuff justifies his actions,  just look at it from his point of view. FInn the peacemaker tired his best to stop any violence, (he is obviously a very sensitive and caring dude)... and what did the grounders do in return? they mercilessly and brutally slaughtered anyone they could get thier hands on( thats all he knows besides lincoln), and now the people that have been terrorizing all of his frends has also taken the girl he is in love with.

" omg this is a just a sweet little village with innocent people, finns a monster, lets pity the grounders now"  ... how the hell is he supposed to know that they were harmless...and did we even????? they would have probaly let the little kid slit Finns throat, for all we know. He can not be now branded a phsyco simply by not showing remorse after killing the grounders... if the Bellark gang shuns him and he feels no remorse and turns on everyone. then the judging adn branding can start.

Finn. Raven. Monty.

The thing is, Finn is wrong... He is on this one track of saving Clark and he can't see what's really happening in front of him. The grounders didn't take Clarke... I understand why he's suspicious of that, and why he doesn't trust the grounders... But he had the upper hand... They were corralled and cooperating as best they could. There was enough evidence that even Murphy could see this group was a group of scavengers... And clearly the missing 47 people weren't there.

He went from level headed to reacting without any thought and that is either bad writing or intentional.. Which to me looks like Finn has broken under all of the stress... He killed a lot of people in those few minutes... People who hadn't done anything to harm him...and in a situation where he was completely in charge...

It was majorly stupid for that grounder to run, but Finn's reaction was too much and not something easily swept under the rug....

• Love 4

There's absolutely no redeeming Finn after that. As everyone has said, if Murphy's looking at you like you're a psycho, you should probably realise you've gone beyond the pale. At this point I'd rather see Murphy come back into the fold and that's saying something. I was trying to reason that Finn was obsessed with finding the 48, not just Clarke, but with his 'I found you' I don't believe that's the case. Glad this seems to have put an end to any potential return of Finn/Clarke romance. I wonder if the writers saw that Finn's character was going nowhere and just couldn't think of anything else to do with him.

Enjoyed the reunion between Clarke and the others, there's a little too much of random groups seeking each other out and taking prisoners at the moment. On that note, who couldn't see the grounder turning on Kane coming? Curse his sudden yet inevitable betrayal!

I did wonder if the radiation breach was on purpose and if Maya was in on it, in order to put Jasper to the test, but it didn't look like it at the end. It occurred to me that when the president's son/chief of security/evil experimenter mentioned he had it under control, maybe the Mt Weather equipment is beginning to fail, just like on the Ark. This could be why they're experimenting perhaps. Though as others have said, I would have thought it better to try to incorporate the 48 into their population. I also thought the Cerberus programme was to breed super soldiers not to create reapers, but honestly, there's just so much going on it's difficult to keep up.

And as for Jaha turning up in Kane's cell? I wasn't expecting to see him for another few episodes. Where is this City of Light then? It can't be the grounder camp surely. I am baffled by this turn of events. It must be much cheaper to keep filming in the same forest than have any more desert.

• Love 1

Err, when two people significantly outgun a large group of people, the typical explanation is that the large group is relatively harmless.  Probably even more so when the group is primarily comprised of kids and elderly.  Finn literally gunned down an entire village of unarmed people.  Not only that, but he continued to shoot at these people when they were already down.  This is not the same as him turning his gun on people who have declared war on him or even the same as turning his gun on someone in the name of standard self defense. Judging and branding is more than warranted.  The dude is irredeemable.  

• Love 3

Jaha landed on the East coast north of where the Arc crash landed.

I think we did see the Statue of Liberty when Jaha landed.  But the Lincoln Memorial is also sitting in the middle of a lush forest near Mount Weather so it's hard to determine where the SoL might be actually be sitting.  

Ehhh...I mean, you can drive from Loudoun to DC in an hour+ (depending on traffic). Then take into consideration that they don't have to walk through roundabouts or contend with highways/interstates that sometimes takes you around and then in (navigating 495 around DC, VA, MD can be wicked tricky if you're not familiar with it), can walk in a direct path without worrying about neighborhoods;buildings; etc.....it might not be more than a 1+ day walk to get from MW to the memorial.

Ehhh...I mean, you can drive from Loudoun to DC in an hour+ (depending on traffic). Then take into consideration that they don't have to walk through roundabouts or contend with highways/interstates that sometimes takes you around and then in (navigating 495 around DC, VA, MD can be wicked tricky if you're not familiar with it), can walk in a direct path without worrying about neighborhoods;buildings; etc.....it might not be more than a 1+ day walk to get from MW to the memorial.

I'm going with someone tried to move the Lincoln Memorial to Mt. Weather a few years after the war and things got screwed up a few miles from the base so they were forced to leave it there.  So it's been sitting there ever since.

• Love 3

Yeah, this isn't the Lincoln Memorial at the LM site.  We aren't seeing any evidence of other iconic monuments or buildings in DC.  Even if bombs were dropped on DC, we should still see other evidence of other landmarks.  We are already meant to eye roll away the ridiculous distances they walked.  I mean, last season Lincoln apparently climbed up and down a mountain 10-15 miles away in half an hour.  Considering that, I can shrug my shoulders if they want me to believe they can walk 100+ miles in just two days.  It's a bit harder when they have a very well-known memorial from a city filled with well-known real estate sitting all my it's lonesome in the middle of a mountainous forest.  

Then again, this show also gave us the mysterious never-ending supply of apples out of thin air.  

Yeah, this isn't the Lincoln Memorial at the LM site.  We aren't seeing any evidence of other iconic monuments or buildings in DC.  Even if bombs were dropped on DC, we should still see other evidence of other landmarks.  We are already meant to eye roll away the ridiculous distances they walked.

The really confusing thing is that in the long version of new opening sequence, they clearly showed the statue of Lincoln in the shambles of the Lincoln Memorial where it's normally supposed to be at the ending of the reflecting pool on the Washington Mall with a devastated Washington Monument and Capital building in the distance.

What a disappointment S02.E05 is. It was becoming more and more annoying throughout the series how the writers make each character a cold-blooded killer. It's not Finn who became a psychopath, it's the writers who went too mad to exaggerate the mankind's brutality. Now I guess we can expect Octavia to kill Lincoln (while saving her brother Bellamy, of course) or Bellamy to kill Lincoln or even Lincoln to kill Octavia or Bellamy, Clarke to kill her mother Abby, Raven to kill Finn (or Finn to kill himself), someone of Monty, Maya and Jasper to kill each other.

At start I was watching "The 100" as a sci-fi movie, now I finally realize it's more about a social fiction. And it's an experiment on us, the audience - to see our reaction, tolerance, aceptance and justifying of unjustified inhumanity.

• Love 1

The only trick can save the Finn's reputation is if they'll discover that the peaceful village people become mosters at night.

I was thinking suicide, because it was a My Lai Massacre redux, and the number of VietNam vets who committed suicide is nearly twice the number who died in action.

I guess if Finn shoots Burn (the Nazi-like blond soldier from the Ark) and then kills himself, all could be forgiven.

I was very disappointed that Lincoln didn't stab the dead guy with drug sryinge just to show he's nobody's weapon--but then Octavia wouldn't need to save him with her soul mate pheromones.

Abby should put the queen for day pin on Raven.

• Love 1

Late to the party, so I'll just chime in that I wasn't convinced by Finn's sudden turn, but I still liked the way the scene was filmed, and I hated season 1 Finn so damn much I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and go with the flow. Seriously, he was the worst.

Also, it kinda feels they've finally decided to start ship teasing Bellamy/Clarke. That talk at night gave me that vibe. I just hope they won't rush it they way the rush many other things on the show.

• Love 4

Agree about the ship tease, season 1, Clarke/Bellamy wasn't even on the radar, now we have the little chat by the fire and the huggy reunion. At least they had the good sense to make Bellamy hesitate before returning the hug and then having her hug Octavia.

Octavia has grown on me, I like her single minded goal of getting to Lincoln.  As for Lincoln, keep him shirtless and please get him out of reaper phase soon.

I think the "radiation leak" was a set up to experiment on the kids.

Finn's turn around makes no sense, I hope Clarke blasts him next episode.

So I found myself wondering about this "Cerberus" program. It's fairly obvious that it's what produces the Reapers, but what is it intended to do? We know the Mountain people are using the Grounders' blood for medicine, and we here seem all pretty much in agreement that some kind of cross breeding with Grounder and or Arkers would make sense, but what are they trying to do with the Cerberus people? Are they deliberately making Reapers? For what? A subservient army? That seems kind of short-sighted when what they should be doing is figuring out how to make their own people more radiation resistant (i.e. blood transfusions and/or breeding). And if creating Reapers is not the actual goal, what exactly are they trying to accomplish?

I finally got to see this episode, and I liked it. Finn going all murderous on defenceless people was a bit of a "wait...what?!" moment for me, especially since he was such a pacifist in the first season, but I think it's either that the showrunners want him to stay relevant to the story - or want to write him out. I haven't decided yet.

So I found myself wondering about this "Cerberus" program. It's fairly obvious that it's what produces the Reapers, but what is it intended to do? We know the Mountain people are using the Grounders' blood for medicine, and we here seem all pretty much in agreement that some kind of cross breeding with Grounder and or Arkers would make sense, but what are they trying to do with the Cerberus people? Are they deliberately making Reapers? For what? A subservient army? That seems kind of short-sighted when what they should be doing is figuring out how to make their own people more radiation resistant (i.e. blood transfusions and/or breeding). And if creating Reapers is not the actual goal, what exactly are they trying to accomplish?

I think the Reavers...sorry, Reapers are a byproduct of whatever the Ceberus program is supposed to accomplish. You know, like in Firefly. I am guessing the Mountain Men are trying to make a perfect soldier, and the Reapers are the mistakes. Or, the scientist has gone mad. Like scientists are prone to do...

• Love 2

Looks like Desmond's stuck in the Hatch again. See you in another life, brother. Er, I mean we will meet again. Sorry, wrong show.

While the Reaper creation story is simliar to Firefly's Reavers, it also reminds me of the origins of Tolkien's orcs.

I just marathoned this show. I'm really liking it so far, although Finn's characterization is extremely inconsistent. I agree that unless he got drugged while unconsious after the blast, his current actions make no sense.

• Love 1

I think the Reavers...sorry, Reapers are a byproduct of whatever the Ceberus program is supposed to accomplish. You know, like in Firefly. I am guessing the Mountain Men are trying to make a perfect soldier, and the Reapers are the mistakes. Or, the scientist has gone mad. Like scientists are prone to do...

Yes, the parallels to Firefly's Reavers are not exactly subtle. But I feel like, if you're trying to create a perfect soldier, the kind of murderous rage they seem to be encouraging is not really a smart move. It's one thing to make them dependent on drugs, but you need to pair that with strict discipline and obedience, and even some rational thought to get anything truly useful and controllable (see Star Trek:DS9's Jem'Haddar for a reasonable example), and it doesn't seem (so far, at least) that that's really what they're going for. Making your soldiers' world basically revolve around the drug is just going to make them willing to do anything for it, up to and including turning on you. Of course, that's always a risk with "perfect soldiers," but yeah. It may very well be that that's what they're trying to do, but I still think it's short-sighted, and I still feel like the way they're going about it doesn't really make much sense.

Let's go with the mad scientist theory.

• Love 3
if you're trying to create a perfect soldier, the kind of murderous rage they seem to be encouraging is not really a smart move. It's one thing to make them dependent on drugs, but you need to pair that with strict discipline and obedience, and even some rational thought to get anything truly useful and controllable (see Star Trek:DS9's Jem'Haddar for a reasonable example), and it doesn't seem (so far, at least) that that's really what they're going for.

I agree. To me it seems like the Mountain Men produce reapers not to be soldiers but as beastly predators against the Grounders, and plant them in the caves to effectively discourage Grounders from entering. The caves lead to the mountains, right? It could be as simple as a security measure.

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 2

I finally got to see this episode, and I liked it. Finn going all murderous on defenceless people was a bit of a "wait...what?!" moment for me, especially since he was such a pacifist in the first season, but I think it's either that the showrunners want him to stay relevant to the story - or want to write him out. I haven't decided yet.

I think they are using the fact that Finn tried to make peace with the Grounders and all his people died/got captured as his motivation for the 180 degree turn.  Its mostly coming across as they need the previously ruthless or insane characters to look better by comparison and Finn is being used to rehabilitate Bellamy and Murphy.  The question, as you raised, is whether Finn gets written out in the end or some other contrived action makes Finn look better by comparison to someone else once Bellamy (and the relationship with Clarke) and Murphy are where they want them.

• Love 1

Yes, the parallels to Firefly's Reavers are not exactly subtle. But I feel like, if you're trying to create a perfect soldier, the kind of murderous rage they seem to be encouraging is not really a smart move. It's one thing to make them dependent on drugs, but you need to pair that with strict discipline and obedience, and even some rational thought to get anything truly useful and controllable (see Star Trek:DS9's Jem'Haddar for a reasonable example), and it doesn't seem (so far, at least) that that's really what they're going for. Making your soldiers' world basically revolve around the drug is just going to make them willing to do anything for it, up to and including turning on you. Of course, that's always a risk with "perfect soldiers," but yeah. It may very well be that that's what they're trying to do, but I still think it's short-sighted, and I still feel like the way they're going about it doesn't really make much sense.

Let's go with the mad scientist theory.

I guess the Mad Scientists (and how perfect is the casting? I love the thought of cylon!Tory from BSG trying to create her own soldiers) are trying to do something beside the Reavers; if the Reavers are just a byproduct, or a failed experiment, then perhaps we'll see with Lincoln exactly what they are trying to achieve. Because you're right, as of this moment it doesn't really make sense. driedfruit's idea that the Mountain Men are making guard dogs for the entrances to the mountain are valid, but wouldn't it be easier to just, I don't know, booby trap it? (Am I spelling "booby trap" right? Right now it looks to me like it ought to mean something else, like being trapped by really large breasts?Which - weird image.)

I think they are using the fact that Finn tried to make peace with the Grounders and all his people died/got captured as his motivation for the 180 degree turn.  Its mostly coming across as they need the previously ruthless or insane characters to look better by comparison and Finn is being used to rehabilitate Bellamy and Murphy.  The question, as you raised, is whether Finn gets written out in the end or some other contrived action makes Finn look better by comparison to someone else once Bellamy (and the relationship with Clarke) and Murphy are where they want them.

I hate that sort of storytelling device, where, instead of natural progression, somebody else is thrown under the bus, to make flavour of the month look more palatable. It makes me annoyed with all characters involved. I think the disconnect for me is that we haven't really seen Finn becoming disillusioned with the peaceful alternative, so him being all gung-ho with killing came as a bit of a shock. Or made it look like it was all about Clarke, which...never looks good on any character. I hope the show runners are going somewhere with this; and by "somewhere" I mean more than Bellamy in Clarke's pants.

What I mean is; don't use this as a convenient excuse for putting Bellamy with Clarke and Finn out of his misery. Make something out of a character that previously was a bit too vanilla for this world, and say something worthwhile with it. I know The 100 isn't Battlestar Galactica, but that doesn't mean it can't aspire to it.

Heh. I think I've done a 180 myself on Finn. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I kissed a guy this weekend that looked a lot like him (weird intersection of real life and fiction, because apparently I can't tell the difference).

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 2

Nice to see the acid fog back.  I'm still confused why only "warriors," are taught English when everyone has been seen using it.  Maybe this is explained in the books or something?  It just really seems weird that in 97 years a culture can retain one language only for warriors and develop another one.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:01 AM, roundtheworld said:

I also notice that the coming winter that was about to kill the 100 via exposure is no longer an issue - but I guess that's due to the filming schedule, too bad it's another dropped plot.

This is when the show started going downhill; when it stopped being about these kids trying to survive on Earth and just became about warring factions and "politics".