Type keyword(s) to search

19 Questions and Counting

Has anyone here ever eaten tator tot casserole?

You left out the important followup question - if so, was it any good?  I remember at least some of the Duggar kids saying they didn't like it - I can't remember if it was in a special episode or a book, but I thought it was funny.

• Love 2

Mo Rocca had Andrew Zimmern's nice Minnesotan mother in law on My Grandmother's Ravioli, and she showed how to make her famous tater tot hot dish.

Ba, ha ha, "by the lake" and that lake of course would be "up north", don't ask. 

I think it's great, but you can feel your arteries fill up when you eat it, but it's comfort food to the highest degree.  It's one of the very few casseroles that my kids would eat - I think it's a texture thing for them.  We never went in for the really cheesy versions though.  It's served often as a public school lunch staple here.

• Love 1

From wikipedia - examples of quivers:

220px-Wenceslas_Hollar_-_Quivers_and_hun

I think the idea is that the kids are the arrows in the quiver.... hence Quiverfull,  have enough kids to fill it.

• Love 2

Psalm 127:3-5a

Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Or in King James if you prefer, since he wrote the Bible:

Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them.

• Love 5

I don't know if this goes here, but can anyone explain to me why gothard doesn't allow certain things like dolls? And why is it OK for gothard to have a real education but not his followers?

• Love 1

I've never watched the show and only became aware of their names since the scandal. What I'd like to know is how Jinger's name is pronounced? I've been pronouncing it Jeenger with a hard G, and I think I'm wrong. It's pronounced like Ginger isn't it?

• Love 2

I have two questions about this series.

1. Have there ever been any attempt to rescue some of the younger children? Show them what goes on in the real world? Get them some adequate schooling?

(Yes, that counts as one question.)

2. Has there ever been any public blow-back towards the network that films this show, in terms of aiding and abetting the neglect of some of the kids, the dishonesty inherent in the ultra-selective editing? Has there been a tell-all written by a former crew member? Why does so little leak out about this dysfunctional mess?

This was my post back in March. Had I only  been clairvoyant!

• Love 3

I've never watched the show and only became aware of their names since the scandal. What I'd like to know is how Jinger's name is pronounced? I've been pronouncing it Jeenger with a hard G, and I think I'm wrong. It's pronounced like Ginger isn't it?

Yes. Her name is the same as Ginger.

Your pronunciation is generally the first reaction of someone who reads her name.

• Love 2

Since the Josh scandal has been revealed, I finally got a chance to see a photograph that's been mentioned a lot on these threads as The Handmaid's Tale photograph, where Jim Bob and Michelle are leading their tribe on election day and Michelle and all the girls are wearing bright red dresses with dorky white collars. My question is this: was that intentional? Is there any indication that they've read the Atwood book, or is it just creepily coincidental?

• Love 1

Since the Josh scandal has been revealed, I finally got a chance to see a photograph that's been mentioned a lot on these threads as The Handmaid's Tale photograph, where Jim Bob and Michelle are leading their tribe on election day and Michelle and all the girls are wearing bright red dresses with dorky white collars. My question is this: was that intentional? Is there any indication that they've read the Atwood book, or is it just creepily coincidental?

Jim Bob and Michelle don't strike me as being big on reading novels and The Handmaid's Tale wasn't exactly an endorsement of patriarchy. I think it's far more likely that they just caught a big sale on red fabric at Jo-Ann's.

• Love 9

It was intentional and they never read the book and until the money from The Losers Channel rolled in they were all dressed alike.

• Love 1

I think that 'defraud' means to stir up desires in someone that's can't be righteously fulfilled, for example a woman who dresses immodestly 'defrauds' a man who may lust for her but can't have her.  Thereby making it the woman's fault for making some guy have impure thoughts - she 'defrauded' him.  She's to blame, he was merely 'defrauded', ripped off so to speak.  Is this the correct interpretation?  

• Love 5
(edited)

It was intentional and they never read the book and until the money from The Losers Channel rolled in they were all dressed alike.

In the early days, pre-TLC, they would dress in the same color(usually red)to keep track of everyone on outings, especially during their yearly trips to ATI camp. I haven't watched the show in years so I don't know if they still do.

Going back to the Duggar Family Rules from the first page, ISTR another one which said "Never tale-bear unless physical harm will come to someone."

ETA: I Googled it, and it's an an extension of "Always give a good report of others."

Edited by smittykins

This was actually triggered by something on another thread, but it seems as if it'd be more appropriate here.

There have been over a century of lawsuits about child actors and their parents not making their money disappear before they get control of it. Do we have any reason to believe that Jim Bob wasn't required to put some portion of that $40k/episode into trust for his kids?

This was actually triggered by something on another thread, but it seems as if it'd be more appropriate here.There have been over a century of lawsuits about child actors and their parents not making their money disappear before they get control of it. Do we have any reason to believe that Jim Bob wasn't required to put some portion of that $40k/episode into trust for his kids?

I'm sure I read the answer in another thread, at a much earlier time, and I believe the upshot of it is: children in reality shows are not considered child actors, and they don't have the same monetary protections as actual child actors do.

• Love 3

Reality show participants in Arkansas are not protected.  Also there is still a lot of doubt on the $40K per episode figure and they assuredly did not get that amount for the early seasons. 

• Love 3

I've read a few Duggarese terms lately that I was unable to find in the lexicon posted here. Can anyone explain or direct me to the story behind the following? I realize they're largely self-explanatory but am wondering if I missed some good snark in their origins.

- Stink Bus?

- Mold House?

- Clown College?

Many thanks!

I'll give it a try.

Stink Bus: the large bus the family travels in packed like sardines with their less than often bathed bodies. 

Mold House: Granda Mary's house, which was Josh's first house was apparently rented out for a few years. When in came time for Jessa &       Ben to move in, mold had creeped through the bathroom and I believe a bedroom.

Clown College is referring to Crown College, which is an unaccredited Christian College.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 4

There have been over a century of lawsuits about child actors and their parents not making their money disappear before they get control of it. Do we have any reason to believe that Jim Bob wasn't required to put some portion of that $40k/episode into trust for his kids?

http://www.sagaftra.org/content/coogan-law

That is known as the Jackie Coogan Law  which does not apply in Arkansas, and seems to only apply to hired actors, not reality TV. It will be interesting to see if  there is ever a Dugger or Gosslin Law given  the irregularities in these situations.

Edited by Honeycocoa
  • Love 1

I'll give it a try.

Stink Bus: the large bus the family travels in packed like sardines with their less than often bathed bodies. 

Mold House: Granda Mary's house, which was Josh's first house was apparently rented out for a few years. When in came time for Jessa &       Ben to move in, mold had creeped through the bathroom and I believe a bedroom.

Clown College is referring to Crown College, which is an unaccredited Christian College.

I found crown.edu, which appears to be fully accredited?

Trivia and Tip of the Day - Give a serious side-eye to ANY school with a URL ending in "dot.com." This is not to say that the schools using "edu" are fine either. Jillions of them are NOT. But the "dot.coms" are almost always a dead give-away. 

• Love 5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "Clown College" moniker is an iteration of the "College Minus" nickname given to College Plus, the program several Duggars went through to test out of college credits. Credits that they were definitely, probably, sort of likely to maybe attempt to use at a real college. Someday.

I think Clown college is technically operating under the name, "The Crown College". They were probably, and rightly, threatened by the real accredited Crown College to do so.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "Clown College" moniker is an iteration of the "College Minus" nickname given to College Plus, the program several Duggars went through to test out of college credits. Credits that they were definitely, probably, sort of likely to maybe attempt to use at a real college. Someday.

Because they obviously couldn't just prepare themselves for and take dsst (Dantes), CLEP and UExcel exams for college credit like the rest of the world that wants to get ahead in college :)

Edited by Nutella
  • Love 1

Being just a forum reader and not a show watcher, there are many things Duggar I'm in the dark about. Usually I can figure things out from context but this one I can't: Exactly where are the toilets that Ben is scrubbing? And how is it a paying job?

Being just a forum reader and not a show watcher, there are many things Duggar I'm in the dark about. Usually I can figure things out from context but this one I can't: Exactly where are the toilets that Ben is scrubbing? And how is it a paying job?

When Ben & Jessa were courting, JB hired Ben as a Handyman so he could move to the compound and be nearer to Jessa. They have a few outbuildings, and in one scene they showed Ben cleaning a disgusting toilet. I believe these buildings look like aluminum warehouses/sheds, yet they call one a guest house and made a bedroom in another for Ben to sleep in.

That was the dirtiest toilet I ever saw.  Worse than the most disgusting gas station.  I would have been absolutely MORTIFIED to admit to having that on my property.  Just goes to show you that they really aren't very clean.  We've all seen the dirty feet on the counters that the kids actually lick, and no sheets on the beds.  Who lives like that?

Isn't cleanliness next to Godliness?  I realize that it's not easy to clean up after that many kids, but most of the howlers are old enough to help themselves, and of course, we have the J'slaves and Grandma Mary.  No excuse for being so dirty.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if I'm mixing up my tv families, but I know one of them stated that the boys weren't supposed to get married until after they had jobs and could support a family. I thought it was the Duggars because I remember thinking how none of these boys would ever get married based on the education they were getting.Was this the Duggars and if so did they realize that was never going to happen?

• Love 1

I'm not sure if I'm mixing up my tv families, but I know one of them stated that the boys weren't supposed to get married until after they had jobs and could support a family. I thought it was the Duggars because I remember thinking how none of these boys would ever get married based on the education they were getting.Was this the Duggars?

it sounds like them.

and if so did they realize that was never going to happen?

I think they sort of have realized. Josh's used car business was always reliant on daddy's money, and aside from John-David who tows cars, the other working sons are unskilled labourers employed by their father.

Not being a show-watcher, I was just wondering where the names Jilly Muffin and Jessa Blessa came from.  Are those nicknames from JB and J'M, or are they names you wickedly funny forum posters came up with for them?  Just curious.

Not being a show-watcher, I was just wondering where the names Jilly Muffin and Jessa Blessa came from.  Are those nicknames from JB and J'M, or are they names you wickedly funny forum posters came up with for them?  Just curious

Those are nicknames given to them by their parents.

• Love 1

was going to ask ?? regarding Money-but I saw a few answered. T.Y.-here are a few more:

A poster said The DUGGARS receive $40k an episode.
? #1)-WHERE have posters found this? (TLC/Disc. Income Reports? J.B.?-who I would NOT believe!)

? #2) Do the adult age 'Kids' get their OWN paycheck? (I believe TLC pays the family or most of them-through a
'Family trust or Corp'-not sure WHICH.

Unfortunately, 'I can't find IF there is a set 'Appearance Fee' for those on Reality Shows & w/R.S., it breaks down further to 'Scripted' & 'Non-S' (& arguments whether there ARE N.S. Reality shows anyway?))

Regardless, I figured Josh, once married, HAD to be paid, followed by more $ as Anna & more kids came, but-

? #3) Was HE, Josh, paid via 'F.C.' &/or the other now 3 'boys' & 4 'girls' over 18?  (Which I guess, J.B. would 'decide' their pay?)

• Love 1