Type keyword(s) to search

19 Questions and Counting

Stupid question of the day! After ten years I realized Monday I have been pronouncing the name wrong. I think. Seriously, is it Dug-gar as in I dug a hole or is it Doo-gar? I've always said Doo-gar.

They pronounce it like "dug a hole." Think back to the "14 Kids" special, when all the kids introduced themselves.

I didn't see that, but will look again. I was going to re-watch anyway. Do you know around what part of the episode?

I will guess around the middle of the episode. I saw what looked like an in ground pool behind the same black metal fencing in the background while someone was being interviewed.

I did see the pool! Right when they deliver the pizzas, just after the dramatic emergency diaper delivery. I don't know if it's on their property, but there was definitely a pool in the episode.

Jim's a common nickname for James, so that's not surprising; he and I are about the same age, and when we were kids, Jameses were always Jim. But the use of the middle name along with the first name is probably just the result of someone having nicknamed him that when he was little.

• Love 3

I did see the pool! Right when they deliver the pizzas, just after the dramatic emergency diaper delivery. I don't know if it's on their property, but there was definitely a pool in the episode.

The reason I think its on their property is because the metal fencing matches their fencing.   Of course someone else could also have that fencing, but why would the crew be there?    

Is there a way to get an aerial view of their property?

Is there a way to get an aerial view of their property?

Google Maps has an aerial view of their property that's marked as being taken within the last 5 months, but I don't see anything that looks like a pool, so it would have to be a pretty recent addition. I won't link to it because I think that's been decided to violate their privacy, but it's out there if you know where to look.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jim's a common nickname for James, so that's not surprising; he and I are about the same age, and when we were kids, Jameses were always Jim. But the use of the middle name along with the first name is probably just the result of someone having nicknamed him that when he was little.

Jim Bob is actually a fairly standard nickname in the south. Did you ever see "The Waltons?" The second son was Jim Bob. Boob's parents named him James Robert, and they probably always intended to call him Jim Bob. (It used to be very, very common in parts of the south for people to use their first and middle names together, routinely. It's still a thing, but not as much, I think.)

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 3

Google Maps has an aerial view of their property that's marked as being taken within the last 5 months, but I don't see anything that looks like a pool, so it would have to be a pretty recent addition. I won't link to it because I think that's been decided to violate their privacy, but it's out there if you know where to look.

I think they went to a friend's house to swim.  Was that clip from several years ago?  Seems like I remember them swimming at a friend's...

Aside from Jessa's wedding and Izzy being born and Josh & Anna's gender reveal it seems like every episode is a rehash/filler episode. 

Please God let it end...

• Love 4

What is this scandal?

I'm assuming people are referring to the Josh stories that are all of a sudden cropping up in the tabloids - which apparently has happened before but they're coming up again for some reason. There's more discussion about it in the Josh & Anna thread, starting around here: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4650-josh-aaaaaand-anna-smuggar-aaaaaand-frc-oh-my/page-44. This is the first story I saw on it although it's been in a bunch of the gossip blogs since: http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2015/05/josh-duggar-accused-underage-sex-abuse-report/.

• Love 1

We don't feel a new topic is necessary. The nature of the conversation will most likely fit in several threads and that's fine. 

Also, let's be calm and level headed about this. Please be careful with wording and speculation. 

Thanks!

• Love 2

Jim Bob is actually a fairly standard nickname in the south. Did you ever see "The Waltons?" The second son was Jim Bob. Boob's parents named him James Robert, and they probably always intended to call him Jim Bob. (It used to be very, very common in parts of the south for people to use their first and middle names together, routinely. It's still a thing, but not as much, I think.)

Maybe it's a generation thing bc that's not comment at all in my generation, I'm from the south and have never even heard the name Jim bob until the show aired and then my friends and I thought it to be a really weird name.

I hope this is the correct place to ask this......I've read probably 20 pages are confused by 3 terms - TTH, sin in the camp, and NIKE.

Thank you so much if you can let me know!

TTH=TinkerToyHouse, since they supposedly built the house out of a kit.

Nike is what the girls said to the boys when a woman was dressed immodestly so they would look at their sneakers instead of at the lady defrauding them.

Someone else will have to explain sin in the camp, though I get the feeling it has to do with rumors about Josh and his actions when he was away from the family at something like ALERT.

• Love 4
(edited)

A question was brought up in the Other Kids thread regarding the Duggars' social media accounts. I answered that the only kids who have legit accounts are the married/courting (Josh, Jill, Jessa and Si) and that all other accounts aside from the Duggar Family Official are fan pages/fakes. My rational behind that is there's no way Boob would allow teenagers too much leeway on the Internet coupled with the fact that the family only recognizes autonomy if you're in a relationship. If anyone has info to show otherwise it would be great to know.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

I hope this is the correct place to ask this......I've read probably 20 pages are confused by 3 terms - TTH, sin in the camp, and NIKE.

Thank you so much if you can let me know!

Maggie, if you go back to the first page in this very thread and read your way down, we have a wonderful poster, Wanderwoman ( who IS a superhero and should change her name to WONDERWOMAN). She knows all things Duggar and posted a whole bunch of acronyms and meanings. Other posters added in as well. It's very useful. I've been here awhile and I still reference it occasionally. :)

• Love 4
(edited)

I've never honestly tried to find freeJinger so I'm probably speaking out of turn. Maybe someone will correct me. I believe freeJinger is a snark blog, sort of a tongue-in-cheek thing. I also think it's sort of an overall forum about the weirdness in Duggarland, and not necessarily dedicated to freeing Jinger. I'm thinking it probably got started in the first place because when they were younger, Jinger had a habit of rolling her eyes, giving away the "not necessarily sweet spirit" underneath. People read that as "Jinger thinks this is bs", thought she wanted out and started a blog how to rescue her (them!). One day I want to go there and snoop around. I'm just afraid it's more snark than I can handle!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 3

Question : what does the Free Jinger movement mean? Also, why is there no Free Jana movement?

The site "Free Jinger" was started to discuss the Duggars in particular and fundamental religion in general in more depth then the "Television Without Pity" site allowed. A group broke away and at the time Jinger was sort of the poster Duggar of the kid that might break away and also there is the snark factor of the ridiculous "J" spelling of her name. Its not a movement just a bunch of people who's interest went beyond the scope of an existing board.
  • Love 3
I haave been watching CSI and was wondering why they didn't name someone Jorja. That name would go with Jinger

I actually saw that on that list they made during the episode where they were voting on names for Jordyn.

• Love 1

Hope this is the right thread (if not please move or delete) but I'm wondering what's going to happen when the rest of the older girls get married and move out ? If Josh, Jessa, Jill, Jana, and Jinger are gone that only leaves JoyAnna, Grandma Guggar, and the hopeless, hapless, clueless, untimately self-absorbed Michelle to take care of the remaining 14 !  I truly hope they would not overload JoyAnna until she has her OWN breakdown in the laundry room, but Grandma can only do so much for her age, and no one else seems to be capable of handling the day-to-day of the household...

Could this be the time (gasp ?!?!) that the BOYS are taught some of the "female" arts and start being responsible for their own lives and home beyond the ridiculous, not-so-helpful jurisdictions they've been assigned. Jed and Jer doing EIGHT loads of laundry a day ! Josiah making TTC for 17,18, or more ? I would just LOVE to see that !!!

My very own dear heart, my lovely boyfriend, does everything cleaning-wise, windows included, but not laundry, as that's MY domain, but I couldn't be any more pleased and happy to have a loving helper and not a "Headship" ! Except for some things I'm physically limited by (I'm barely 5-3 and he's 6-4 !) we call the household tasks equally. I'll be digging a hole in the yard to plant a tree while my SO makes dinner. Wonder if that would make Michelle and JB's head explode ?!?!

• Love 2
Could this be the time (gasp ?!?!) that the BOYS are taught some of the "female" arts

Great googly moogly. That will NEVER happen. Their testicles would fall right off

and other than schadenfreude (now) what is the appeal of these people?

• Love 6

Why do these women coo like pigeons?

From what I've been able to piece together, the mom's conference at Big Sandy, and the ATI recommended curriculum supplements, encourage women to speak "softly and reverently". Michelle has stated publicly that she "purposed to control her volume and tone" to a whisper because she read that it will encourage her children to "really listen to her instructions". Michelle has said that, in the early years, she had a temper and lowering her voice and tenor was a way of displaying controlled behavior. She wanted to "be an example". In addition, the two marriage books and seminar materials from IBLP and other patriarchal sources instruct wives and mothers to "model submission to God's design for men and women" by never publicly disagreeing with her husband. Looking at him is "common courtesy and reflects genuine interest in what he has to say". As a result, women in these circles sound like heavily medicated cartoon princesses. If you can get your hands on a copy of "Created To Be His Helpmeet", by Debbie Pearl, you, too, can be an obedient wife. Lol.

Question : what does the Free Jinger movement mean? Also, why is there no Free Jana movement?

I wasn't around in the early days of Duggars snark: however, I think Jinger appeared to be the most likely to rebel back in the early days. She displayed a spunk and attitude that caught everyone's attention. She was a little like Johannah. People started joking about starting a campaign to free Jinger. Now, it's an identifier for Duggar skeptics and snarkers.

What will happen when or if Jana and Jinger move out?

Obviously, no one knows for sure. I believe the responsibilities will shift to Joy and then Johannah. Joy is 17 now and Johannah will be 10 in October. By 10, Jana was cooking, cleaning, and changing diapers for her buddies. If the show ends and the girl's from Joy up leave, then I think we'll see a dramatic change in the management of their home. Michelle will actually have to be a mother and teacher and stop depending on the kindness of others. My fear, if the show ends, is that Michelle will lean more heavily on grandma and any Duggars daughter nearby to combine generations into a centralized homeschool- thereby allowing Michelle to continue her dereliction of duty.
  • Love 2

ElectricBoogaloo in my head, I pronounce Jinger to rhyme with ringer too.  I just can't with pronouncing it ginger.

Me too. If they wanted people to pronounce it as "Ginger," they should have spelled it Jinjer.

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't know if it was something I imagined hearing or if I really heard it. It was the episode that Erica Hill did with the Duggars. I deleted it because it was totally barfable, Erica Hill alone is enough to make my stomach queasy. They were talking about Ben needing to learn how to change diapers and Anna made a comment something like 'traditionally the men take care of that end and the moms take care of the North end'.  My question is, did anyone else hear Anna make that comment and if so, did she actually mean that the Duggar males have the job of changing the diapers while the mothers are responsible for the breast feeding of the baby?

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

I don't know if it was something I imagined hearing or if I really heard it. It was the episode that Erica Hill did with the Duggars. I deleted it because it was totally barfable, Erica Hill alone is enough to make my stomach queasy. They were talking about Ben needing to learn how to change diapers and Anna made a comment something like 'traditionally the men take care of that end and the moms take care of the North end'.  My question is, did anyone else hear Anna make that comment and if so, did she actually mean that the Duggar males have the job of changing the diapers while the mothers are responsible for the breast feeding of the baby?

I did hear something like that too.  Given what we've learned about Josh, this totally squicks me out.  I do not need to think about Josh having any reason to people near a small child's genitals.  

• Love 6

In addition, the two marriage books and seminar materials from IBLP and other patriarchal sources instruct wives and mothers to "model submission to God's design for men and women" by never publicly disagreeing with her husband.

Fredo would have done well not to go against the family!

• Love 1

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I was wondering if anyone has a more current answer or possibly a source for the info. How much do the Duggars make per episode?  Just in the last day I've seen everything from $25,000 to $45,000 posted here on the PTV boards.

Do Jim Boob (love the nicknames btw) and Hairchelle (my friends and I always called her that) actually keep in touch with any family beyond those on Teh Show?

Has anyone here ever eaten tator tot casserole?

I've eaten tater tot casserole (not their recipe) and it's delicious. Usually it's either a creamier, cheesy version that is closer to the Duggar recipe, but sometimes I've had it prepared more like a shepherds pie. Either way, it's not gourmet but it's tasty.

• Love 3