Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Mukozuke

I am never disappointed in Hannibal.  This episode was no exception.  BF is genius at juxtaposition. We last saw Beverly apparently finding something guesome in Lector's basement only to see Hannibal appear behind her.  The audience knew Bev was not escaping from that situation.  Yet we have to wait for Freddie to make the discovery of Bev's remains.  Nice touch to go back to the Observatory where we last saw "My Girl" meet her end. I was very appreciative of the respect Hannibal showed Bev in her presentation. The care he used was painstaking.  While still completely horrific, it shows yet again the mastery Hannibal has of the macbre.

My one big complaint is the endlessness of Will's incarceration.  It makes perfect sense that he is still locked away but I do prefer to see him out and about. The assylum reeks of the 1950's horror houses that entombed people for life.  Adding the wannbe ripper to muddy the waters for Will was a nice touch. The orderly's admiration for Will is like Hannibal's.  They make a strange triumvirate.

It was somewhat satisfying to see Hannibal captured and vulnerable.  I had to look away for a bit.  Strange but true. I think this little experiment will make Hannibal admire and covet Will even more.  He will also be proud that he has brought Will to this amoral state. One by one people who believe and trust in Will are being stripped away. It seems it will come down to Jack and Will against Hannibal.  I also wonder how many more cast members will be sacrificed in the battle of wills between Hannibal and Will.

I love this show. MM is the best villain I've watched in a long while.

He is a great villain. But he's even better as a good guy in his European films, "The Hunt" in particular. You wouldn't even think it's the same actor--he's just amazing, playing a gentle, victimized man. He's in talks to be the villain in a "Die-Hard" prequel and I hate that he's so typecast here.

The Beverly kidney pie was definitely one of the less appetizing looking items from the Soylent menu.

It's a completely inelegant meal (aside from the pastry mask), in contrast to the elegant, strangely dignified/respectful way he displayed her.

When Hannibal first saw the judge all trussed up, didn't he say "mindless and heartless"? I took that to mean part of the judge's brain had been taken, and his heart.  

No, the brain and heart were removed, but I think they were put on the scales he was holding. Which is some kind of weird symbolism. He's mindless and heartless, but he's weighing his mind against his heart on the scales of justice? I don't think Hannibal would have produced such a mixed metaphor. 

Whenever Hannibal kills and sets up one of his displays, I remember in one of the books, that his tutor as a child taught him to create "many rooms" in his mind, so whenever he does this, I think of him having these rooms in his mind with these displays--like a doll house--and that's how he keeps all of them with him.

As awful as Beverly's death was, there was something very poetic about the display of her body.

It creeps me out that I think that but this show gets in your head, you know?

• Love 2