Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles: Parallel and Alternative Universe Sightings

supposebly
  • Start Topic

Well chosen title thread!  You did good! :-)

Billie Piper and Matt Smith were in a TV movie "The Ruby in the Smoke".  Did anyone see it?  I think it was a Masterpiece:Mystery episode.

• Love 1

Oh, I can't take credit for that. That honor goes to BizBuzz..

Still, my first thread creation with some nudging.

Topic: I miss Matt Smith but he makes choices for films and roles that I'm not terribly enamored by.

Terminator: Genisys. Really? They couldn't spell it like a normal person? That alone keeps me from watching this. And I don't want to watch Schwarzenegger "act" anymore.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1

Wasn't Matt Smith also one of the Johns in Billie Piper's prostitute show?

Secret Diary of a Call Girl. Yes, he was.

I think my favourite Matt Smith role so far in his career is Party Animals, a one-off series about a pair of brothers working in the political scene in London - Smith was the younger brother, Danny, alongside Andrew Buchan's Scott,and the show was excellent.

• Love 2

Well chosen title thread!  You did good! :-)

Billie Piper and Matt Smith were in a TV movie "The Ruby in the Smoke".  Did anyone see it?  I think it was a Masterpiece:Mystery episode.

I did.  It was moderately okay for something with Billie Piper in it.  (Not a big fan of her acting.)  The follow-up movie stank to high heaven, though.

Wasn't Matt Smith also one of the Johns in Billie Piper's prostitute show?

Secret Diary of a Call Girl. Yes, he was.

Really?  I can't picture that somehow.  And it obviously wasn't the second episode of the first season - the one about the sex party in London; I've seen that many, many times due to someone I like very much being in it, and I think I would've noticed Matt Smith at least once.

• Love 1

The submarine captain Cold War is Davos The Onion Knight in Game of Thrones, which is an awesome character for those not familiar. Of course there are actually a million sighting like this of minor characters so not sure if it qualifies for this thread!

If you've got a sighting worth mentioning, go for it!

I don't know if anyone else has seen any of the classic actors in other roles? I had a fit of nostalgia earlier in the year and rented the 1970s Famous Five series (starring Gary Russell, who has gone on to write many Doctor Who novels and Big Finish audio adventures) - and was surprised to see the 2nd Doctor himself, Patrick Troughton, pop up as a baddie in an episode. I had no idea he'd done that. I was expecting him in Box of Delights, however.

Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) has a role in an early episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, which I also re-watched earlier this year.

Colin Baker (6th Doctor) and Maureen O'Brien (Vicki) are in the first two episodes of Jonathan Creek, as I was reminded when I got my DVDs out the other day.

Ian Marter (Harry Sullivan) was in the 1975 version of North and South - also starring Patrick Stewart, with hair. That came out on DVD earlier this year, to my delight as I'd long wanted to get my hands on it. He also had a recurring role in the series Crown Court, which is far more engaging than it has any right to be - I've got about three seasons of it on DVD now.

Edited by Llywela

Tom Baker was Rasputin! Couple years before his role as Doctor he was in a movie about last Russian czars.

Also Sherlock Holmes in Hound of Baskervilles

08.jpg

Edited by tv-talk
  • Love 3

Intriguing!  Is that available somewhere on-line?

also starring Patrick Stewart, with hair

Always a bit of a shock, isn't it?  :0)

My go to for "before they were (fill in iconic role)" roles is I, Claudius; where one can spot a young Patrick, with hair, but also see The War Doctor, John Hurt, in all his madness as Caligula.  (not to mention practically every working British actor at the time)

I think my favourite Matt Smith role so far in his career is Party Animals, a one-off series about a pair of brothers working in the political scene in London - Smith was the younger brother, Danny, alongside Andrew Buchan's Scott,and the show was excellent.

Quoting myself because I was reminded of Party Animals today, in particular one of my favourite lines, in which Danny's boss describes him as 'attractive in a flopsy-bunny sort of way', which is possibly the most perfect description of Matt Smith ever. :D

I wouldn't bother looking for it. Not only is it painfully cheap and badly directed, Tom admits he was very bad it in.

Sorry to hear that!  He does look good in that deerstalker.

Quoting myself because I was reminded of Party Animals today, in particular one of my favourite lines, in which Danny's boss describes him as 'attractive in a flopsy-bunny sort of way', which is possibly the most perfect description of Matt Smith ever. :D

Yes, it is.  :0)

****Disclaimer**** I in no way wish to endorse this movie or the book upon it was based.  THE ORIGINAL text on the other hand, I hope everyone gets a chance to read.   *********

That said.

I read that Matt Smith has been cast as Mr. Collins in a movie version of (see above disclaimer).  I found this amusing because Matt Smith is not my idea of Mr. Collins.

Mr. Collins character as described in the book: He was a tall, heavy looking young man of five and twenty. His air was grave and stately, and his manners were very formal.  I recently read an essay that points out that According to the Oxford English Dictionary, “heavy-looking,” a now-obsolete term, indicates that Collins is “ponderous and slow in intellectual processes.  Most movie adaptation tend to keep to the more modern definition of "heavy-looking", something Matt Smith is most definitely not.

I am sure Matt Smith is up to playing the less than attractive marriage prospect for heroine Elizabeth,   I have a more romantic view of Matt.  ;0)

The submarine captain Cold War is Davos The Onion Knight in Game of Thrones, which is an awesome character for those not familiar. Of course there are actually a million sighting like this of minor characters so not sure if it qualifies for this thread!

And don't forget Floppy Fish Edmure Tully was his second in command.

• Love 1
'attractive in a flopsy-bunny sort of way'

That is a great description. Up until now my favorite description of Matt as the Doctor was "adolescent giraffe."

Do audio books count as other roles? Cause I'm listening to the audio books of the "How to Train Your Dragon" series, recorded by DT, again. I'm always amazed by how distinct and different all the voices are. I will admit to having eight of the 10 available books, despite having no children. I had loved the movie when it came out and was delighted when I found out that David did the audio books. The books are even more charming and clever than the movie, and while they obviously are aimed at 9-13 year old boys, the story and characterizations are so well developed I think they have appeal to all ages.

I get a kick out of all the accents David does. While the main character and his tribe have David's own Scottish accent the Meatheads are Irish, the Romans are Italian (what else?) and I'm pretty sure the Bog Burglars are Welsh (being from the States I have a harder time pinpointing where in the UK someone is from) and so forth.

• Love 1

I haven't heard that series - I'm not much one for audios, although I've listened to a few Big Finish audios. So here's another Tennant audio - he pops up in Big Finish's UNIT series, which was made before he was cast as the Doctor.

• Love 1

Just finished watching a Christmas movie Nativity! with Dr. Watson (Martin Freeman), only to have it followed by Nativity 2!, starring none other than Ten,  playing twins, sporting a lovely proper Scottish accent!  (In case you were wondering the third movie stars "Doc Martin" with Catherine Tate as his fiancee)

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

(In case you were wondering the third movie stars "Doc Martin" with Catherine Tate as his fiancee)

Also of Doctor Who pedigree, incidentally - Martin Clunes appeared in the 4-part serial Snakedance back in the '80s with the 5th Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa. One of his earliest TV roles!

Also of Doctor Who pedigree, incidentally - Martin Clunes appeared in the 4-part serial Snakedance back in the '80s with the 5th Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa. One of his earliest TV roles!

I'm sure if one searched the cast lists there would be more connections.  For me it was one of those odd moments that happen when  you are channel surfing.  It is funny to me that these silly movies all have as their leads actors who are now associated with an iconic character.*  Almost as if someone knew that it would happen and made them as a set.  (I will admit I only really watched the first one, which I think was the best.  I started watch the second but I couldn't stand the Mr. Poppy character and it was late.)

* Oh I am so dense!  Each one of these actors play a Doctor!

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

Been catching up on a bunch of David Tennant's back catalogue. Last week I found the episode of the Mrs Bradley Mysteries he did (January 2000 broadcast), which happened to feature Peter Davison (5th doctor and his future  father in law) as the police inspector.

Of course, the great one involving him is his one scene in the movie Jude from 1996 where he, as a drunk undergraduate, challenges the ninth doctor to recite the Creed in Latin. And Christopher Eccleston promptly stands up and does just that!

Tom Baker was Rasputin! Couple years before his role as Doctor he was in a movie about last Russian czars.

08.jpg

Omg! He looks like Monty Python's Graham Chapman in the photo. Great!

• Love 3

Has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Chef Gordon Ramsey and Matt Smith?  I think I really noticed in the AT&T cell service commercial, especially the part about "waving hands around".

Rambling to get to a point... I love watching the Turner Classics Movie (TCM) Channel to see actors who I had watched growing up, as in Disney movies, in their early days in movies.  Today, I caught the end of Carry On Spying.  I never really paid attention to the "Carry On" series, so it should not have surprised me to see a familiar face listed in the credits, that of Bernard Cribbens.  I tried to find a photo of him from the movie, and in my search found out that he is the voice behind the song "Right, Said Fred"!

• Love 1

I'm too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts!

According to wikipedia they named themselves from the song.

I remember hearing that when the duo was big. Sadly, I still have "I'm too sexy" stuck in my head now.

At least he's not a villain in the MCU. I was worried about that for a while.

Doctor Who’s Arthur Darvill Joins The Flash/Arrow Spinoff Series

Arthur Darvill, best known for playing former “Doctor Who” companion Rory Williams, appears to have some more time traveling in his future. On the heels of word that Broadway actress Ciara Renée had joined the series as Hawkgirl, The Hollywood Reporter now brings word that Darvill will also be joining the cast of The CW’s upcoming “Arrow” and “The Flash” spinoff as Rip Hunter!

It was previously revealed that Hunter would be one of the show’s featured characters, although he is being officially referred to as “The Traveler”. Described as a “Han Solo-esque rogue who gets by with his charm, this hero hails from the future, and has journeyed back in time on a secret mission. His razor-sharp wit hides the pain of a man who has lived through serious conflict. He also harbors many secrets, always leaving both his teammates and the audience unsure of his true allegiances.”

• Love 1

Arthur becomes the third Companion of New Who to join the Arrow/Flash/DC television universe. (Just in case, John Barrowman and Alex Kingston.)

Yeah, it's loaded with former Doctor Who companions.  I love that we're seeing so many of the actors and actresses who have played companions and even previous Doctors appearing on American TV.

I just watched the first two episodes of a show called Chasing Shadows on CBC. It has Alex Kingston and Noel Clarke. Who ended up in bed together.

So weird.

Mickey Smith and River Song. It seems all kinds of wrong.

• Love 1

Freema Agyeman is in Netflix's Sense8. 

Parental guidance and warning - she's naked in the first episode with another girl...so it's definitely not a family show like Doctor Who!

Freema is fantastic in Sense8.

Keeping with Netflix, Matt Smith is going to be in The Crown, playing Prince Philip while Karen Gillan filmed a HBO pilot called The Devil You Know (from the creator of OITNB) and Jenna Coleman has a minor role in Me Before You, which also has Charles Dance and Emilia Clarke.

So I'm flipping through channels tonight and come upon the local PBS station and who do I see but the 12th doctor, Peter Capaldi. Apparently it's true, every actor in Great Britain has been on Midsomer Murders.

• Love 1

I came across a black comedy "The Assassination Bureau" starring Oliver Reed and Diana Rigg.  The rest of the cast, both credited and uncredited, reads as a who's who of Doctor Who characters: Roger Delgado, Vernon Dobtcheff, Maurice Browning, Beryl Reid just to name a few.