Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: A Reveal to Remember

Anna is obsessed with taking pregnancy tests. Good Lord, why doesn't she buy them by the gross ton? When they were in Japan she went to a store looking for one. It might be in her best interest to stock up. I don't get her. A few weeks ago she said she was content with the three children she already has. Now she's all, "Oh, my sweet Josh, do fill me with your precious seed so that I can be a mother again!"

I heard that Josh just bought lots of stock in CLEARBLUEDUGGAR.  And, word on the street is that Boob has hired some people from CLEAR BLUE PREGNANCY tests to teach his spawn to produce their own.  Make your own and save the difference. 

Can we just have a moment of silent appreciation for all of the awesome and hilarious comments posted here in response to this episode!?!?! You guys are the funniest and much more entertaining than the show itself! From the bottom of my depressed heart, I thank you!!!

• Love 20

Anna, shut up.  3 kids is enough for everybody.  Some of us waited YEARS to be able to have one.

TFDW is indeed fabulous.  And I think he is a little mean, too.  Frustrated over not being able to be himself?

I HATE how these guys all have to dip their wives when they kiss.

I can almost hear David saying, "See, I'm not gay!"  Would a gay guy do this?

• Love 16

Do fundie kiddie pageants exist? I can just see TFDW sewing sequins on Davia's modest wear and making her practice her routine's big finish: "Davia, put your arms up and yell, 'Modest is hottest!'"

Edited by Andrews m
  • Love 11

I've posted a few times that I think that Josh and Anna are kind of playing for the cameras and for JB and J'chelle, and are happy with three kids for now.

When I watched the exchange between them on this episode, though, I got a different vibe. I still don't think Josh wants any more kids (at least right now), and when he and Anna talk about it in DC, that's the decision. When Anna was around her sister in Chicago, though, she started thinking about how fun it would be to be the center of attention, buy cute baby clothes, etc. and maybe had second thoughts.

Josh looked completely over it during Anna's little pregnancy reveal. It could be that he already knew full well, and this was to stop internet rumors, or it could also be that she really did start up again about wanting another baby when Josh thought that they had settled that question.

Gah, what is it with all these gender reveal parties??? Look, I think having one for your first is fine. It's not my thing, but I get that it's kind of popular right now. My younger sister had one earlier this year. But are they going to keep doing this kid after kid after kid? They're going to run out of ideas. I don't know, it just seems silly to me. 

This episode was hard to watch because TFDW is clearly in love with Josh, Patricia scares the crap out of me, and Josh's nipples were defrauding me right and left. 

I do like seeing the Smuggar kids, though. They are adorable, especially Mackynzie - when she was going on about how good her hair smelled (I was assuming it was her shampoo?) in the bathroom I just about died. 

So Anna has baby fever again? Oh boy. Look, I really don't care how many babies people have as long as THEY are providing for them (in all ways, not just a roof and food - emotionally, mentally, etc.) and it's what they really want. I do think Anna is different than Michelle, in that she genuinely LIKES kids. I think being a mom comes naturally to her, and she is very hands on with them. But I can see a tendency to compete within these camps. "Oh, so and so is pregnant? I kind of want another baby too". And where does it stop? I just hope they're truly using wisdom here. Their kids do seem to be a bit more spread out - every other year instead of every year. 

It seems to me like Josh is the one who's not totally on board with more and more. I think that would make sense given their different upbringings. Anna came from only 8. While that is "big" to some, it can be perfectly manageable with good parents. But Josh came from 19, where he was the oldest, and saw how his parents checked out at a certain point. He knows all the things he and the older kids missed out on pre-TLC, and still missed out on after - because TLC cannot fix quality time spent and all that. He makes these faces when Anna talks about more babies that make me think HE does not want to keep going ad nauseum. I hope they are truly on the same page. 

The other thing that occurred to me was that they're not even trying or really concerned about it, but TPTB wanted them to tease us with the "another baby?" thing, because really....this show has gotten pretty boring. (Although, a week without JB and J'chelle is fine with me.)

• Love 5
I HATE how these guys all have to dip their wives when they kiss.

I hate how they kiss, period. All these years later and it's still as awkward as the first kiss during the wedding! Maybe it's because of the cameras? But I don't think so. And no one is forcing you to kiss each other constantly, so just STAWP. 

So, through the sin of omission, one can safely say that they lied to their audience.  Even for the sake of appearance, G-d doesn't like liars.

Agreed. It really bothers me....all the deceptiveness this family is involved in. Believe me, I don't like lying and sneakiness from ANYONE. But when you act like you're so high and mighty and constantly prove me wrong, don't be surprised when I find you despicable. 

And I wouldn't be one to immediately assume they brought Jana as a nanny. Maybe Jana WANTED to come along? Hell, I would do anything to get out of TTH. But then why not SHOW her? That's where you get people's minds wondering.

• Love 3

Even though they showed the pregnancy test saying negative, I wonder if Anna was pregnant in this episode. She starts out with a small baby bump and it seems to get bigger. In the last scene, when they were camping with TFDW and Pris, she looked as pregnant as Pris. She was wearing a striped shirt, and she looked about 4 or 5 months pregnant. Especially when she was holding Marcus, standing by the fire. Her shirt was flattened to her stomach and it looked like a baby bump.

I wonder if they spliced in the pregnancy test talk and results later to cover it up and make it easier on them.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 1

I'm also disturbed by the fact that the Duggars don't seem to have a problem lying to cameras now. It's one thing for TLC to present what they want. However, the Duggars have made it a point in the past to emphasize how much control they have over the editing. And it's another thing entirely when you have Josh and Anna willingly participating in this lie. Having them say things like, "We were outnumbered on this trip" and "This is the first trip we've taken alone" turns them into literal liars.

I really am actually surprised that they would stoop this low. It's the antithesis of everything they claim to stand for. I also think they should know better; why are you trying to present a narrative that never took place in the age of technology, when we could disprove your story within minutes? You were the ones who posted half the pictures that blew up your own spot!

It just makes you wonder how much of this show was a lie and how long it's been going on.

• Love 7

I, too, thought right away that the EPT test scene stuck in at the end of this episode was done way earlier. Neither Josh nor Anna looked the same as in the episode. Anne was much slimmer than she appeared in this whole two parter. She looked quite well along to me throughout, 4-5 months herself. I'm very tired of the "creativity" of the Duggars AND TLC. It is downright lying. Isn't that a BIG SIN, DUGGARS? Uh, bearing false witness, I believe...

• Love 3

OK I know the consensus in this forum is that David Waller is gay, fighting his urge to be gay, in the closet gay, etc. but I watched the 'reveal' episode and I just don't see it.  He is boyish looking, to be sure, but I just don't see the gay thing that many others do.  Just my opinion. 

• Love 6

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanna, although clearly all for getting away from all the "activities" in Arkansas (gotta love the reruns) to bring her family "closer together," was also full of trepidation at losing all of her "built-in babysitters" there, and Joyless expressed dismay because "I mostly watched her kids," so you have to wonder how many helpers Aaaaaanna was getting in the bargain.  And it was Jana, along with Joyless, who was dispatched to DC to babysit for the Smuggars' 5-year anniversary.  They brought along outgrown girl clothes for, as Anna said, "When Kynzie gets that sister she wants, or maybe it'll be twins!"  She goes on, "Oh, how cute; I have baby fever!!!"  But I digress.  Jana would be the clear choice as their tag-along nanny on the road trip, so I personally doubt that it was a "vacation" for her...

Speaking of the anniversary rerun (J&A's 5th and M&JB's 29th), what did I see Michelle pull out of the fire in that glass factory?  My eyes!

• Love 1

I don't see David as gay- and really, we can't support "gay rights" if we mock someone for possibly being gay. IF he is gay, it is completely up to him to come out of the closet so to speak.

My b/f has a pink shirt and there is nothing gay about him. What does a pink shirt have to do with a man's sexuality?

• Love 9

I don't see David as gay either.  I see him as extremely annoying.  Oh, and he is somewhat effeminate.  

A pink shirt has nothing to do with one's sexuality.  However, pink is traditionally the color associated with girls.  (That's why he was wearing it.  His guess for the gender of his child.)  

Priscilla is one of G-d's "special" children, isn't she?  What's with the baby voice?  It made me laugh, but it quickly got on my nerves.

It was kind of nice to see Anna with her family.  I got the impression that once you become a Duggar, that's all you are.  How awful would that be?!

• Love 3

Well that is siblings!  Don't worry he will grow more, get sick of her and her controlling ways and then push her down or something.  Not push her down in a violent way but merely a "I have had enough" way.

I thought it was very cute that Michael ran over to stop Paul from going out the front door at the store. Ok, he grabbed him around the neck but he did stop him.  This is the stuff you won't see at the Duggar compound.

Not if the mom is encouraging this, and she's clearly pushing Kynzie to be the dominant "big sister"; all she needs is a whip and boots...  Little ones' spirits and budding confidence CAN be crushed, and for life...  At the very least, they shouldn't let her interrupt, hog all the questions, and dominate every conversation; that's just rude...  Same as when Hannie or Jill does it...  Jessa seems to let Bin talk, at least; maybe she finds it amusing!

• Love 1

"A lot of parents really emphasize being helpful, watchful, responsible with a firstborn child, especially after additional babies come along."

Exactly!  Especially those parents who plan to have their firstborn raise their subsequent children.  M-slave much?  No wonder Aaaaanna is pining for another daughter!

- it was also a study in gender roles. The men did the fishing. The women stayed with the kids. The men presented their catch (in a bag or photos) and the women "awwww"-ed all over them. The mothers wondered if the daddies could take care of the kids. The daddies proved that they could barely take care of the kids and wanted the mothers back asap. The men did the heavy duty cooking and roasting. The women did the sides. The mothers went shopping for pretty pink baby dresses. The daddies went shopping for camping gear. The men did the driving and navigating. The women tended to the kids.

Word! And also, Anna is powerless to even look at her own pee without Joshie by her side.

• Love 3
I don't see David as gay either.  I see him as extremely annoying.  Oh, and he is somewhat effeminate. 

A pink shirt has nothing to do with one's sexuality.  However, pink is traditionally the color associated with girls.  (That's why he was wearing it.  His guess for the gender of his child.)

David's shirt color has nothing to do with it. I actually thought he was wearing red? Maybe it was a very dark pink and my TV didn't pick it up. Either way, I only halfway jest about David, but he often seems very infatuated with Josh to me. He gets positively giddy when he comes around. 

Not if the mom is encouraging this, and she's clearly pushing Kynzie to be the dominant "big sister"; all she needs is a whip and boots...

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm seriously asking - what have you seen that leads you to believe Anna is PUSHING Kynzie to dominate the younger ones? Because I have never gotten that impression. I am a firstborn, and it's well known that I was super bossy to my other sisters. I'm still quite a control freak and like things to be just my way. Now that I have three kids, I see SO much of myself in my oldest. Birth order characteristics aren't always accurate, but I do think a lot of firstborn children are just naturally bossy and controlling. 

• Love 10

Having been to the Willis Tower last year, I really think they made an exception for the Duggars to have that RV there.  Parking is at a premium in Chicago and especially at a big tourist attraction such as the Willis Tower.  Parking on the streets is hard to come by, but there are plenty of parking garages. I would have to look again when watching this episode, but it looks like the RV was not parked at a parking spot, exactly, but more like an area to pull in, drop off people, and leave again.  It also looked to me like the elevator going up to the top was not full, the Duggars and their camera people were the only passengers.  (Believe me, the Willis Tower is busy and they cram you into that elevator.)  So either they made an exception for the Duggars to park there in the first place, or they had someone move the RV there for the photo op.

There's just no way the Duggars dropped into the Willis Tower without arrangements being made in advance to film them, IMO.

• Love 4

Mack is like every first born I know, including myself. Take charge, "bossy", is right about everything and knows the best. Not the best traits for personal relationships but great career wise, in my case at least. My mom also encouraged me to be an example for my three younger siblings and trained me to watch after them. But not raise or parent them of course.

• Love 5

While David is quite fabulous and effeminate, he reminds me of many of my friends I met in college. I went to a small Christian college and many of the guys had what society deems "gay" mannerisms but they were really just soft spoken, nice, excited about life, and a bit sheltered. They didn't act as "manly" as other guys our age but they're all married with healthy relationships.

• Love 1

I agree with being disgusted with the lying in this episode. If Jana came along and didn't want to be  filmed then that's perfectly ok. I don't think it's wrong if they don't mention her. But claiming flat out to be alone when they weren't... there is no reason for that. Sure that's what happens with all reality shows but they make a point of saying how superior they are to everyone else so I feel it's right to expect honesty in the words coming directly from their mouth.

• Love 6

Anna now annoys me more than Josh does.  (Actually, I'm in the minority and have never been really bothered by Josh as most have.)  Anna seems to have gotten a transfusion from Michelle.  She's now just as obsessed with reproducing as Michelle has been.  If she would leave McKenzie out of it, I would take it, but she's gotten the toddlers obsessed with reproduction too.  The oldest daughter doesn't have a chance.  She'll have a full mommie load on her before first grade.  I just think it should be illegal to keep your first grader out of school to change diapers, cook, and clean.  

• Love 2

Our internet has been down for days and I have been dying to comment on their trip to Chicago.

So they come to Chicago and only go to the Sears Tower (true Chicagoans never call it the Willis Tower) and to Gino's east? Then they get on the skink bus #2 to go to the Indiana Dunes???

I agree that Josh has zero interest in having another baby. Whenever Anna mentions getting pregnant again, his feelings are written pretty clearly on his face. As for Anna, does she really want another baby or is she trying to keep up with friends and family who are expecting? I didn't realize child-bearing was a competitive sport.

On another note, does anyone know which suburb David and Pris are living in? It looked really nice, I love cities that have old-fashioned downtown areas.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

I heard that Josh just bought lots of stock in CLEARBLUEDUGGAR.  And, word on the street is that Boob has hired some people from CLEAR BLUE PREGNANCY tests to teach his spawn to produce their own.  Make your own and save the difference. 

Was there a box of used ones in the warehouse?

• Love 1

I don't see David as gay- and really, we can't support "gay rights" if we mock someone for possibly being gay. IF he is gay, it is completely up to him to come out of the closet so to speak.

My b/f has a pink shirt and there is nothing gay about him. What does a pink shirt have to do with a man's sexuality?

Thank you Jellybeans for putting into words what I was thinking but unable to express.

• Love 2

Well Gothard HQ is in Oak Brook, IL and that town doesn't have a cute downtown area however Hinsdale does so the Wallers might live there or Downers Grove.

Looks like homes you see in Elmhurst, IL too another next door town. 

So it really bugged me that Prissy and Anna went to a used clothing store when Kohl's has so many sales and clearance merchandise she could have gotten. Those two so need my money saving/shopping skills.

• Love 1

Okay, I have officially thought about this too much. I know it's long been the Duggar way to "buy used and save the difference," as Anna and Priscilla gleefully were doing in the used clothing store. I'm curious though, how literal is that? Do they say okay, we bought 10 girl's shirts, which would be $100 new (just to throw out a round number) -- but we got these for $1 each so we saved $90? And then put that in savings? Or is it just the more general idea that by buying used, we are able to save more money?

I seriously want to know if there is actual math involved here but can't remember if they've ever gone into detail. I suppose it could be some built-in lessons for the STDRT if they do.

• Love 1

What I would give to see Josh/Anna and David/Priscilla stoned!

I'm not altogether sure we'd see much of a difference with Anna and Priscilla. Both of them are often way too mellow now - without pot.  They go around beaming and cooing so much of the time, they can seem a bit stoned now...

• Love 4

What is the deal with the camping?   Josh's family has been traveling in RV's for years, Josh and Anna have too.  Surely they didn't stop at hotels every night of the trip, since they HAD AN RV.  Why are they acting like they have never 'camped' in the RV before, and have no idea how to fix food on the grills in the RV park?

Who wears Khaki pants while camping (except TFDW)?

If Priscilla and David have camped all the time, why did they need to buy so much stuff just to include Josh and Anna, who already have a fully stocked RV - see the first comment I made here. 

How are Priscilla and David going to be fundy parents if they only have a small car?  Will that car even hold both car seats (a lot of compact cars can't hold two car seats since they are so bulky.

Why must these women fawn all over their 'MEN' and their fish?  Why does every conversation have to end with kisses? Maybe a few times they could vary it with a hug or two instead? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6

I can't tell if I believe Anna and Josh re having more kids. I don't think Anna is lying when she says she enjoys the ones she has; she is really engaged with them and I can see here worrying about losing that connection. But then it's the constant pregnancy tests, the talk about twins etc. that makes me wonder -- is that just what she's saying? Though I guess being programmed your whole life that your job is to bear kids -- that programming doesn't go away in a few years.

With Josh though -- it's really clear from the looks on his face that he is not interested in too many more or any more. He looked horrified when she said 5 or 6 was a start and maybe twins will be next. I think Josh remembers very clearly what life can be like with a dozen kids and no TLC contract; when TLC found them, they were living in a 3 bedroom home with one bathroom; and even after they became fundie royalty and had money, they were socializing with a lot of other fundie families -- like the Bates and I'm sure others -- and he's only enough to remember families with a dozen kids living in a rural shack someplace. Now that he's experienced real life -- a real paycheck, being able to spend it on wants and not buying used/saving the difference, not having to load up at Aldi -- he doesn't want to even put himself in the position of having to go back to that.

I think Josh -- like JB is savvy -- I think he realizes that the TLC machine won't last forever and that DC is a fickle town. Sure he has a unique role at his job bc he has an in to the fundie world, but all it takes is a change of leadership or a budget cut or some other fundie with political connections coming in -- like say John Webster -- and Josh could easily become yesterday's news. If that happens, fine, he'll go back to Arkansas and resume the car dealership or start another small business, but those things don't pay great, JB isn't about to supplement if TLC income stops (or even with TLC income -- I don't see him handing Josh a mansion like Jill's) and Josh could easily find himself with 8 kids on a used car dealer's salary and wants to avoid it.

• Love 2

I'm not altogether sure we'd see much of a difference with Anna and Priscilla. Both of them are often way too mellow now - without pot. They go around beaming and cooing so much of the time, they can seem a bit stoned now...

I would like to get TFDW some hot pants, Judy Garland and bring him to P-town for the weekend.

Priscilla reminds me of Drew Barrymore with her lisp and mannerisms. I would like to give her some pot brownies.

• Love 1

IMO, I think Mackynzie is just being a firstborn. It didn't last, but I was the same way with my siblings for a while, and at the same age Mack is now. A lot of parents really emphasize being helpful, watchful, responsible with a firstborn child, especially after additional babies come along. And a lot of firstborn kids, liking the attention and praise they get, run with it.

Absolutely agree! My mom's friends always used to laugh and tell me i was lil miss bossypants when i was Macks age. I would line all the younger kids up and march them to the park or tell everyone what we were playing. ..makes me laugh. Its just a big sister thing and harmless.
  • Love 3

A couple of weeks ago Bill Simmons of ESPN/Grantland wrote a piece theorizing Tom Brady's relatively mellow personality was down to him growing up as the only boy with three older sisters (in contrast to Peyton Manning competing against two brothers). Simmons noted that his own daughter was a couple of years older than his son and she was completely the boss of her brother, and this was the same sibling dynamic that went on with all of his friends who had the older daughter/younger son combo. Mackynzie and Michael remind me of that.

Lying about Jana being on the trip, very dishonest, Duggars! What happened to "values"?

Josh has no poker face; he soooo does not want more children right now.

The season finale is really going to be centered around Cousin Amy's singing career? Talk about ending with a whimper!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3