Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: A Reveal to Remember

A few thoughts:

TFDW mentioned catching some salmon.  In Lake Michigan?  Yeah, right...  Never been fishing but even I know that wouldn't happen.

Josh should stick to dark coloured shirts on camera.  Those moobs were distracting.

All the talk of "inches" was juvenile.

Saw a glimpse of Jessa's wedding during a promo for next week's finale.  Maybe TLC has been listening to all the complaints about how long they dragged everything out for Jill.

• Love 2

A few thoughts:

TFDW mentioned catching some salmon.  In Lake Michigan?  Yeah, right...  Never been fishing but even I know that wouldn't happen.

Josh should stick to dark coloured shirts on camera.  Those moobs were distracting.

All the talk of "inches" was juvenile.

Saw a glimpse of Jessa's wedding during a promo for next week's finale.  Maybe TLC has been listening to all the complaints about how long they dragged everything out for Jill.

Actually we live on Lake Michigan and Salmon fishing is big...so yes...it can be done..and is done a lot!

• Love 3

Anna is obsessed with taking pregnancy tests. Good Lord, why doesn't she buy them by the gross ton? When they were in Japan she went to a store looking for one. It might be in her best interest to stock up. I don't get her. A few weeks ago she said she was content with the three children she already has. Now she's all, "Oh, my sweet Josh, do fill me with your precious seed so that I can be a mother again!"

• Love 5

Priscilla was a preemie….I have twin great nieces that were born at 27 weeks who just turned 3…they are fine intellectually but their speech suffers and they work with a speech therapist 4 days a week…it happens…I am not a fan of the Duggars at all…but having watched my nieces through their journey has taught me a lot…I firmly believe that Priscilla's perceived "awkwardness, sometimes sounding stupid" is attributed to the fact that she was a preemie….some people struggle for their entire life.

Now with that being said…did anyone else find the whole "Anna has decided to take a pregnancy test" bit on television weird? I can honestly say that I have a 26 year old…and after I had him I never took a pregnancy test unless I felt I needed too…I quit after one child though lol… sometimes I wonder if Anna feels the need to keep up with the amount of pregnancies Michelle had….and the fact that Michelle could give birth and be pregnant a year later…I am kind of glad that she is not getting pregnant getting quickly…I think it gives her time to slow down, enjoy her kids that she already has and …

TLC…quit with the creep factor…pregnancy tests should not be taken on television

• Love 2

Good catch, bigskygirl!

If that's her in the pink top (pulling for a P-slave to help Priscilla raise her brood), she's wearing an awfully short skirt...  For a Duggar...

I noticed, too, when they stopped the RV to repair the skylight, uh, repair in the first part of this two-part episode that some girl who looked just like Anna was standing next to her on the side of the road wearing the exact same top short-sleeved green top (and it wasn't Michelle).  A body double, like Kate Gosselin with her "best friend" Jamie, who often dressed in identical clothing when on travel shoots?  Like a stunt man.  After all, it's all TLC...

• Love 1

My thoughts - and I can't believe I am even saying them:

I like Josh better away from the family.  He almost seems normal.  He and Anna do seem well-suited for each other.  I also like that the sisters and their husbands are planning more trips together.  This is normal and I am glad to see some normalcy.

• Love 7

Also I agree he may be worried about money.

I agree. I think now that Josh has established his life apart from the family circus in Arkansas and not being reliant on the purse strings of JB that he is enjoying his new life and his mind-set is being reshaped and he is able to put up his own values against the ingrained Duggar family mission statement that expects a person to have as many children as physically possible.

I think he enjoys providing a nice living for Anna and the kids and doesn't want to get strapped down financially with a huge family. I'm sure he's enjoying the ability to shop for new shoes and clothes as well as the RayBan Wayfarer sunglasses he's been sporting lately. Even on sale, they're close to $100.

• Love 2

Anna is obsessed with taking pregnancy tests. Good Lord, why doesn't she buy them by the gross ton? When they were in Japan she went to a store looking for one. It might be in her best interest to stock up. I don't get her. A few weeks ago she said she was content with the three children she already has. Now she's all, "Oh, my sweet Josh, do fill me with your precious seed so that I can be a mother again!"

Simple; while doing her best to emulate Michelle, she does her best to distance herself from her (being snootily obsessed with healthy eating, such as prissily turning up her already upturned nose at the doughnut burger; CLAIMING to not care about "blessings" while taking a pregnancy test every time she pees, etc.)  I never could stand Aaaaaaaaaaaaanna!  Would almost rather see Jill get her own show, if this is the alternative.

• Love 2

Seriously, after an hour of the FABulousy annoying DavidWaller and Anna channeling her inner MEchelle, I needed to watch Sons of Anarchy to cleanse my pallet.

Is that normal? Watching SOA immediately after the Duggars every week? 

Ha ha, that's my Tuesday night ritual!

• Love 1

Someone posted that there is a video with David "swatting" Piscilla? I viewed the "welcome baby" one and didn't see it. Where can I find it? Thanks guys.

Priscilla also "swatted" David when he peeked into the balloon box.  I feel fairly sure it's just playful banter between spouses.  People may not agree with his politics -- although other people may -- but that doesn't automatically make him a wife beater...  However, I do feel the tingles between him and Josh!  I like Priscilla, too; she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but at least she doesn't think or act like she is, like Aaaaaaanna with her big head lately does...  I find her quite endearing and likeable, and David didn't seem bad to me, which is not to say I want to see them every week on the "Josh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaane Anna Show."  He was joking in saying "God was with him" (the kid was never in any danger; ten crew members had cameras zeroed in on him), and it made me laugh...

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 3

I think Josh is starting to feel the stress of having 3 kids, a wife, a job and an annoying part-time job with TLC. The constant traveling alone has to annoy him not too mention having to travel in a piece of crap RV that keeps falling apart. I'm surprised he hasn't snapped yet. Then his wife 'hint hint' wants another baby. He's only 25-26 years old. Most guys his age would be flipping out having to fix an RV 3-4 times on a trip that's supposed to be a vacation.

I think it's a good thing that he and Anna moved to D.C. I think they needed to get away from circus.

• Love 1

I would be very interested to know what kind of money Josh is making in his DC job. It doesn't seem like it would be a lot of money and it is very expensive to live anywhere in the DC area. I would think his TLC take home is small compared to Boob and family because he's not a main player and because I'm sure JB made sure that he still gets most of everything. I can see that after the move to DC Josh started to realize that having tons of kids is very expensive and even less affordable in DC than in Arkansas. 

I forgot to mention:

Did anybody else see the preview for next week?

Amy is back into the singing thing again. Apparently she's the only one who doesn't know she can't sing.

If you didn't see the previews for next week, it appears Amy is going to another studio for advice, practice or whatever. Ya know they're hitting the bottom of the barrel when Amy gets another full show advertising her not-so-impressive singing skills.

• Love 3

"I think it's a good thing that he and Anna moved to D.C. I think they needed to get away from circus."

I think they brought the circus with them, and Aaaaaanna is the ring-master.  At least in Arkansas, he had some help with stuff!

It hurts my heart to see Kynzie talk over her little brother and stifle everything he tries to say and especially to see her stomp on his pride in helping to protect her and Marcus from the fire.  She's getting a little too big for her britches, IMO!  It's no doubt due to Aaaaaaanna constantly reinforcing what a good helper (M-slave) she is as well as learning to love the cameras.  It's becoming almost as uncomfortable watching those two in a talking head as it is watching Benessa or Jillard or even Jannie.  They definitely train the women to wear the pants in this family...  So to speak!

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 2

I also thought David wasnt AS fabulous as he usually is.  But it was still there. 

I can't believe Josh drove that RV into downtown chicago...... I want to know where they parked it!!!

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 1

I can't really blame Anna for her constant pregnancy tests. One of the reasons I would never live their reproductive lifestyle is you never get to know. When you take precautions, you can assume more or less that you're not pregnant. But when you do nothing to prevent it, then you constantly have the worry or whatever nagging at you. I think it would drive you crazy.  Especially if you didn't want to be pregnant, the idea you might be pregnant could drive you up a wall. Marcus is already a year old by fundie/Duggar standards and for these people that's a long time to go between kids, especially since they don't seem to be pregnant yet. 

Anna and Josh are young enough that it seems reasonable to be concerned if she's pregnant or not. I think they are relatively not that fertile and living healthier and losing weight might help that. (Not that I think they need more kids).

I also think that part of the taking the pregnancy test on television is to quell internet rumors about whether or not they're pregnant, whether they're taking precautions, etc. That being said I would put the stick in a ziploc. 

I think Josh is more conflicted about taking precautions. I think he still has his principles and he has the problem of most of his sources of income come from the big family principles. 

I think Jill or Jessa could easily take over their slots as they are potentially more fertile.

I also thought David was AS fabulous as he usually is.  But it was still there. 

I can't believe Josh drove that RV into downtown chicago...... I want to know where they parked it!!!

They told you, the building had special parking for large vehicles in front of the building.

1)  Parking.  That was ridiculous?  Right?  They can't have parking out in front of the Sears Tower just for one RV.  Maybe Jana was inside, watching.

2) TFDW:  was less fabulous than usual, IMO, and he has put on weight!

3)  Pregnancy test:  Did anyone count how many times they promo'd that reveal?  At least four by the time they actually did the reveal. Not sure whether Anna really wants another kid right now or is putting on an act. It is clear that Josh doesn't.  He doesn't even say he wants one.

• Love 1

It hurts my heart to see Kynzie talk over her little brother and stifle everything he tries to say and especially to see her stomp on his pride in helping to protect her and Marcus from the fire.

Well that is siblings!  Don't worry he will grow more, get sick of her and her controlling ways and then push her down or something.  Not push her down in a violent way but merely a "I have had enough" way.

I thought it was very cute that Michael ran over to stop Paul from going out the front door at the store. Ok, he grabbed him around the neck but he did stop him.  This is the stuff you won't see at the Duggar compound.

• Love 3

My daughter is three and a half (same age as Michael) and many people in their twenties buy pregnancy tests from the dollar store and test after around every cycle as a matter of course these days. Many do it as they aren't terribly reliable using birth control (sigh) others because while they aren't "trying" to get pregnant they aren't "not trying" either. Some do it just because for a dollar, they figure knowing for sure is better than not knowing, even if they are pretty confident that they aren't. Almost none of these women are religious.

Given that I was used to drug store tests that ran $8-10 a pop, this way of testing was completely new to me.

• Love 1

Does anyone know if Pris and David own that very nice home or rent? Do they also believe in no debt? If so, they would have had to purchase that house cash and in the Chicago area? That's big bucks...how could such a young couple have accomplished that so soon in life? Thanks guys..

Maybe they live in a Gothard-owned home.  There were sure a lot of long skirt wearing ladies at the party.  Maybe they've taken over the neighborhood!

This episode was okay, but to me it was more boring than last week. I don't get the appeal of David and Priscilla other than as an occasional guest spot. But unless TLC is willing to fly Josh and Anna's family over to Africa to visit her sister Esther (with 9 kids now?)  I don't see them socializing with any of her other siblings.. The sister in Texas didn't want to be on camera, probably the same for her married brother and her one sister Suzanne is a single mom. For the record, I see the competitiveness of Josh and David to be something that is strictly producer driver and probably Josh wouldn't even hang out with them if he weren't being paid to do so.

• Love 2

TFDW really seems to have a mean-spirited side to him. He's a scary combination of macho posturing and snippiness. I feel sorry for Priscilla and almost don't think it's fair to make fun of someone with obvious mental deficiencies, but I will say the baby talk, clapping, and squealing are so annoying.

^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^^. I think David is a nasty piece of work. For one, I don't like the way he talks to Priscilla. The poor girl is simple, but she seems kind-hearted and loving. David patronizes her like she's a mentally challenged five year-old. I also didn't understand why he kept needling Josh during the ride into Chicago. If David's car didn't have enough seatbelts to install car seats, how the hell were they supposed to get into the city? As Josh noted, he's been driving huge vehicles his entire life, it wasn't that big of a deal.

I also agree that the pregnancy test was producer driven. When you're on your fourth or fifth kid, you're familiar with the symptoms and signs of pregnancy. At that point all a test does is confirm what you already know. Anna knew she wasn't pregnant which is why she and Josh couldn't muster enough fake emotion to act like they cared about the results.

• Love 6

Well that is siblings!  Don't worry he will grow more, get sick of her and her controlling ways and then push her down or something.  Not push her down in a violent way but merely a "I have had enough" way.

Or push her down in the literal sense.  My niece was very controlling and bossy when she was around 5 years old.  She would tell my nephew when they were playing, how they would play, and even what lines he would say when playing pretend.  One day he had enough and pushed her down the stairs....on top of a pile of Legos.  I'm a horrible person, but being pushed down the stairs on a pile of Legos is the best kind of justice. 

• Love 3

Anna was so annoying during this episode. She has no empathy for women who cannot conceive children. She should be happy with the three kids that she has.  Some women try for years for a baby, and never have one. Anna got pregnant four months after her wedding, and she’s complaining about it.  I thought God planned her family. Does she take a pregnancy test for fun? Also, maybe God hasn’t blessed with another baby, because they struggle raising the three that they have. We know that you want twins, Anna. Please be grateful for what you have. Do Anna and J’Chelle marvel at the fact that J’Chelle had four girls in  a row, and then a lot of boys? Probably.

TFDW did not disappoint. Pris is a window into what Josie could become in her older age. Pris was a preemie, and obviously did not receive services. J’Chelle and Boob should look at her, and not want Josie to end up like her.  We know that it was a girl, because the baby was born a week before this episode aired. Nice timing, TLC.

• Love 4

TFDW clearly has a crush on Smuggar. Their interactions reminded me of junior high -- David was constantly trying to get a rise out of him (Ha! No pun intended).

I agree that TFDW was less fabulous this time around. I'm sure girlfriend Googles himself, and chances are he panicked a little after reading viewers' impressions of him the last time.

Poor Priscilla. The weird thing about her, though, is that when she was alone with Anna and they were shopping, she didn't sound nearly as insipid. I feel for her, though -- it has to be hard to try to please a husband who'd rather be throwing down with his brother-in-law.

My favorite part of the whole episode: "Throbbing." Heh. 

• Love 5

I'm sure that part of this "vacation" were meetings between Josh and David about political work the two groups could do together, and perhaps an annual board meeting with other Gothard folks too. This is why Josh was hired - to make and maintain contacts like this. Having one be his brother-in-law is very helpful to both of them.

"I think it's a good thing that he and Anna moved to D.C. I think they needed to get away from circus."

It hurts my heart to see Kynzie talk over her little brother and stifle everything he tries to say and especially to see her stomp on his pride in helping to protect her and Marcus from the fire.  She's getting a little too big for her britches, IMO!  It's no doubt due to Aaaaaaanna constantly reinforcing what a good helper (M-slave) she is as well as learning to love the cameras.  It's becoming almost as uncomfortable watching those two in a talking head as it is watching Benessa or Jillard or even Jannie.  They definitely train the women to wear the pants in this family...  So to speak!

Nah, they're pre-schoolers. She's older and girls verbalize more, plus they're both hamming it up and trying to get approval from the adults. I'd rather have her speak over him and then when he's ready, duke it out like most siblings do at some point, then instill in a four year old that she must always be silent and let the Menfolk speak, because they're always right, even when they're wrong. Especially when that menfolk is her 3 year old brother.

^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^^. I think David is a nasty piece of work. For one, I don't like the way he talks to Priscilla. The poor girl is simple, but she seems kind-hearted and loving. David patronizes her like she's a mentally challenged five year-old. I also didn't understand why he kept needling Josh during the ride into Chicago. If David's car didn't have enough seatbelts to install car seats, how the hell were they supposed to get into the city? As Josh noted, he's been driving huge vehicles his entire life, it wasn't that big of a deal.

You hit the nail on the head with David. DH who only watches TV for the news and basketball, but tolerates my love for Duggars and Real Housewives of NJ, rolled his eyes at me and asked if that was the guy from Modern Family? Why does the set look weird? He's not really married to that blond girl is he? DH seriously thought for a second that TFDW was Mitch from Modern Family. Then he figured it out and handed me the remote.

Pris is a window into what Josie could become in her older age. Pris was a preemie, and obviously did not receive services. J’Chelle and Boob should look at her, and not want Josie to end up like her.  

I'd think that kind of blind obedience and lack of critical thinking skills would be ideal traits in Gothard women. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 2

TFDW clearly has a crush on Smuggar. Their interactions reminded me of junior high -- David was constantly trying to get a rise out of him (Ha! No pun intended).

I agree that TFDW was less fabulous this time around. I'm sure girlfriend Googles himself, and chances are he panicked a little after reading viewers' impressions of him the last time.

Poor Priscilla. The weird thing about her, though, is that when she was alone with Anna and they were shopping, she didn't sound nearly as insipid. I feel for her, though -- it has to be hard to try to please a husband who'd rather be throwing down with his brother-in-law.

My favorite part of the whole episode: "Throbbing." Heh.

I don't watch this show anymore (Praise God!), but I have bore witness to Davie and Priscilla on YouTube. You hit the nail on the head about him wanting to "throw down" with Joshie or any man, for that matter. Priscilla? She acts like a drugged-up lunatic on videos. I firmly believe that she has married a man who is, or will be, abusive.
  • Love 1

Anna was so annoying during this episode. She has no empathy for women who cannot conceive children. She should be happy with the three kids that she has.  Some women try for years for a baby, and never have one. Anna got pregnant four months after her wedding, and she’s complaining about it.  I thought God planned her family. Does she take a pregnancy test for fun? Also, maybe God hasn’t blessed with another baby, because they struggle raising the three that they have. We know that you want twins, Anna. Please be grateful for what you have. Do Anna and J’Chelle marvel at the fact that J’Chelle had four girls in  a row, and then a lot of boys? Probably.

TFDW did not disappoint. Pris is a window into what Josie could become in her older age. Pris was a preemie, and obviously did not receive services. J’Chelle and Boob should look at her, and not want Josie to end up like her.  We know that it was a girl, because the baby was born a week before this episode aired. Nice timing, TLC.

I knew it was a girl weeks ago because Priscilla couldn't remember to not say "she" when she was talking about the baby/birth on YouTube videos. Bless Priscilla's heart. She was absent the day God handed out intelligence.
  • Love 1

I think they brought the circus with them, and Aaaaaanna is the ring-master.  At least in Arkansas, he had some help with stuff!

IMO, I think Mackynzie is just being a firstborn. It didn't last, but I was the same way with my siblings for a while, and at the same age Mack is now. A lot of parents really emphasize being helpful, watchful, responsible with a firstborn child, especially after additional babies come along. And a lot of firstborn kids, liking the attention and praise they get, run with it.

• Love 7

I'll forgo the pot of coffee and just have a lot of actual pot. That's the best way to get through the episodes.

In the commercials for this episode as they talk about Anna taking a pregnancy test, they show her in a store reaching for something and she looks pregnant.

What I would give to see Josh/Anna and David/Priscilla stoned!
  • Love 5

I agree that Josh would try to prevent more kids if he could. When Anna mentioned five kids being a start, you could see a little bit of panic in Josh's face. I think he realizes how difficult it is, especially now that they're on their own in DC, and he doesn't want to add that many. Truthfully, I don't think Anna wants a lot either; she just might be better at talking the talk.

I don't know how they think they can AFFORD a whole bunch of kids. JimBoob was just plain lucky to have the opportunities that he had to make lots of money. Josh won't be so lucky IMO.

• Love 2