Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: A Reveal to Remember

The only way I am going to get through this snoozefest is by drinking an entire pot of coffee beforehand. Last week's episode was like watching someone's too-lengthy travel video. The only reason to make it through to the end was to come here and snark afterward.

• Love 2

The only way I am going to get through this snoozefest is by drinking an entire pot of coffee beforehand. Last week's episode was like watching someone's too-lengthy travel video. The only reason to make it through to the end was to come here and snark afterward.

I'll forgo the pot of coffee and just have a lot of actual pot. That's the best way to get through the episodes.

In the commercials for this episode as they talk about Anna taking a pregnancy test, they show her in a store reaching for something and she looks pregnant.

• Love 7

These episodes are becoming agonizing. Tomorrow we have to sit through a gender reveal when we already know Priscilla gave birth to a girl last week. At this rate Baby Dill Pickle will be graduating high school by the time we get to Jill's baby shower.

I don't know what to think about Anna possibly being pregnant, because quite frankly, she always looks like she's about four months along even when she isn't knocked up. She definitely didn't look preggers at Jessa's wedding unless she was wearing one hell of a girdle to hide the bump. With all the wonky editing going on, who knows. Anything's possible.

• Love 3

For me these constant "go somewhere else and do a little stuff" episodes are more like a slide show that moves.  There is something so dated about them.  And not in a nostalgic kind of way.  More of a weary myopic Stultification .  Like color never comes to Pleasantville.

• Love 7

I'll forgo the pot of coffee and just have a lot of actual pot. That's the best way to get through the episodes.

In the commercials for this episode as they talk about Anna taking a pregnancy test, they show her in a store reaching for something and she looks pregnant.

Lol yes! This is how I get through them too.

• Love 3

Priscilla. Honestly she is so childlike it is rather creepy in a sad way.I feel mean even mentioning it but it is super apparent something isn't right.

If i heard those ninnies say buy used and save the difference one more time, I would have been reaching for the pot myself!

Josh should have backhanded TFDW when he was nagging him like a wife in the RV. Thats what he wanted. .TFDW is itching for some wrestling.

Josh and Anna's kids are so darn cute... the only thing that saved me. Oh...and my reaction every time i see one of those info boxes show up my reaction is always " no shit!"

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 6

Either I've grown used to Priscilla's voice, or it's better this episode

She is a little better when she's just talking to Anna instead of being Mrs. TFDW Ministering to the People. Anna's voice regressed to that of a 4 year old when she described childhood camping. Adult baby talk annoys me worse than just about anything. You don't look cute, you look like a fool.

Priscilla. Honestly she is so childlike it is rather creepy in a sad way.I feel mean even mentioning it but it is super apparent something isn't right.

Josh should have backhanded TFDW when he was nagging him like a wife in the RV. Thats what he wanted. .TFDW is itching for some wrestling.

Josh and Anna's kids are so darn cute... the only thing that saved me. Oh...and my reaction every time i see one of those info boxes show up my reaction is always " no shit!"

I seriously feel like I can't make any more comments about Priscilla, because David has this very subtle, underlying competitive cruel streak, and I would hate for him to find fault in her and take it out on her. She is clearly trying her hardest to be the best Fundie wife and mother she can be, and I'd hate for her to feel the wrath of anyone who didn't approve of something she said or did, or who is angry and frustrated, and needs to take things out on someone who won't fight back.

I can't imagine being pregnant, chasing toddlers, in a long denim skirt and flip flops, in the rain, and thinking that is remotely fun.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 15

The only way I'm getting through this episode is mentally substituting "penis" every time David and Josh say the word "fish."  I'm a child.  But my god, the man said you could feel excitement throbbing.  All bets are off.

It continues to creep me out that David and Priscilla look like brother and sister.

Mackynzie and Michael sure are adorable.  But Paul wandering off and David just giggling at it and saying "God was with him" made me want to give him a slap. 

• Love 10

We make foil dinners when we go camping, but our are usually just hamburger, potatoes, onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Like a pot roast without the pot. Except ours are usually half the size of the ones Anna and Priscilla were making.

It was also a little confusing as to why they took all the stuff from their RV to the covered pavillion. Didn't their campsite have a fire pit and a a picnic table? Every campground I've ever been to has had those at each site.

Also, Anna can't complain about this camping trip. Camping in an RV is nothing like camping in a tent.

For all their talk about wanting another baby ... it sounds to me like it's just talk. Like they have to keep up appearances of wanting the giant family with a billion kids but secretly they're pacing themselves.

Also ... Famy! Is this the first time we've seen her this season?

• Love 7

If i heard those ninnies say buy used and save the difference one more time, I would have been reaching for the pot myself!

It is the one aspect of the Duggars that make me wish I would stumble over them while buying, have them simper in superiority that little motto of theirs.  to which I would turn and say "yeah a couple packets of seeds and a little hard work would save your simpleton of a lazy ass mother from having to buy that stupid ass money wasting cases of canned beans all the time.  Fuck you, your worn sneakers and the womb you slide out of."

• Love 8

This episode was enjoyable for me, as I wasn't expecting that much, but ...

- it was also a study in gender roles. The men did the fishing. The women stayed with the kids. The men presented their catch (in a bag or photos) and the women "awwww"-ed all over them. The mothers wondered if the daddies could take care of the kids. The daddies proved that they could barely take care of the kids and wanted the mothers back asap. The men did the heavy duty cooking and roasting. The women did the sides. The mothers went shopping for pretty pink baby dresses. The daddies went shopping for camping gear. The men did the driving and navigating. The women tended to the kids.

- I also noticed that Anna revealed why it becomes easier to have more kids: they start to raise each other. First, they start entertaining themselves so the parents are freed. The tasks still need to be done, but they are no longer the ones doing it. Then the kids start grooming each other, cooking for each other, cleaning for the family, teaching each other, chaperoning each other, etc .... That's the mentality Michelle admitted to and you can see it percolating with Anna.

Edited by glow
  • Love 15

I agree that Josh would try to prevent more kids if he could. When Anna mentioned five kids being a start, you could see a little bit of panic in Josh's face. I think he realizes how difficult it is, especially now that they're on their own in DC, and he doesn't want to add that many. Truthfully, I don't think Anna wants a lot either; she just might be better at talking the talk.

• Love 7

Seeing this episode after seeing Anna in the Jessa wedding pic, she must have done some major working out or had some super great shaping garments! A lot of people thought she looked pregnant but to me she looked like she's had 3 kids in four years and never had a chance for a solid exercise regime in between pregnancies.

• Love 3

I almost hurt myself laughing when Anna said Josh and David have a long lasting relationship, and Priscilla? said they love each other.

Josh and David look like a couple of creepy killers in a bad Lifetime movie.

The way Anna was talking made me want to beat my head against the wall and run outside screaming.

How neat, awesome and a blessing David caught a big fish to feed the family.

I want to thank Anna for reminding us her sister was having a girl.

Priscilla asking if someone was with Paul. David saying God was with him. Priscilla giggling. Seriously...

Anna, people take their families camping in RVs every year and manage to survive. They also do not make a freakin' big deal about it.

I want to find the person(s) who came up with the last two episodes ideas and ask them for the two hours of my life for watching this crap back.

Seeing this episode after seeing Anna in the Jessa wedding pic, she must have done some major working out or had some super great shaping garments! A lot of people thought she looked pregnant but to me she looked like she's had 3 kids in four years and never had a chance for a solid exercise regime in between pregnancies.

I don't get the impression that she was ever athletic or in shape, so lack of muscle tone, three pregnancies in four years, imperfect posture, a not so great diet (she tries with the kids, but Josh is eating something besides baked salmon and fruit, so she probably is, too, plus she got awfully excited over fried green beans), and she's going to have a belly pregnant or not.

• Love 2

Nothing says, "My house or my nerves can't contain all of you" like, "Let's all roll in your RV and go CAMPING!"

Poor Famy! She wants out of the Duggar sideshow but she NEEDS the Duggar sideshow to help her......career?

• Love 2

- it was also a study in gender roles. The men did the fishing. The women stayed with the kids. The men presented their catch (in a bag or photos) and the women "awwww"-ed all over them. The mothers wondered if the daddies could take care of the kids. The daddies proved that they could barely take care of the kids and wanted the mothers back asap. The men did the heavy duty cooking and roasting. The women did the sides. The mothers went shopping for pretty pink baby dresses. The daddies went shopping for camping gear. The men did the driving and navigating. The women tended to the kids.

- I also noticed that Anna revealed why it becomes easier to have more kids: they start to raise each other. First, they start entertaining themselves so the parents are freed. The tasks still need to be done, but they are no longer the ones doing it. Then the kids start grooming each other, cooking for each other, cleaning for the family, teaching each other, chaperoning each other, etc .... That's the mentality Michelle admitted to and you can see it percolating with Anna.

All I could think about watching this was gender roles, too. We get it!

• Love 1

The look of defeat that came over Michael's face when Mckenzie was telling him she didn't need his help bc she knew everything about fires was identical to looks of defeat I've seen from Ben in his talking heads with Jessa. Starting them young, I guess.

Anna seems to adopt that same baby-voice when she spends time with Priscilla.

Josh's face when having his picture taken with the fish he caught was all kinds of awesome.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." I laughed.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 5

Again you have them you raise them

Look closely. Jana was at the reveal gender party.

Again why did Jana get edited out

• Love 2

Josh seems prior to the party looks completely bored about the gender of the baby. Like he's see it all before, every pregnancy results in a girl or a boy and he's sure it will be one. I can understand his attitude.

So Priscilla looks to me to be at least six months pregnant during this episode or five and half at the very least.  Since her baby was born last week, it means the episode was filmed around August or July, maybe even September so after Jill's wedding. 

David is very clingy.Unless he's holding a child he's breathing on Priscilla's neck. That would annoy me.

I couldn't tell if her pregnancy test was much later than the gender reveal or shot at the same time. I'm actually surprised they aren't pregnant. I thought she was, by average non-fundie people standards their family is a good size and progressing at a good rate, but by fundie standards their family or by people who want a lot of kids standards it's slow. (After all I do think a lot of their desire for more kids is spawned by his job, their deal with TLC and media attention. Three or four years from now Jill or Jessa may have three kids and counting and Josh and Anna may be less interesting television.( Example of my fundie-lite friends at least three couples had four children by their sixth anniversary, which Josh and Anna just celebrated. )

I give some credit to Josh to trying to get along with their in-laws.  He seemed to me, to find David a little much or annoying at times, but I think he realizes how much her sister means to Anna and was trying to make things smooth for Anna. That's not exactly a skill he learned from his parents (imo), but it's shows some growth. I think he's likes having the kids, but is bored by babies and pregnancy. Also I agree he may be worried about money.

Priscilla didn't bother me that much. The baby tone was annoying, but not nearly as bad as Jichelle's. What she had to say wasn't earth shattering, but it was on-topic and inoffensive which I think is what she was going for. She may also be a little more nervous being on television. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

The gender reveal was in August, so yes, she was 6 months along.

Jana most likely was edited out (also seen in the scene at the merry go round) because TLC wanted to tell a certain narrative. That narrative was about a young couple taking an RV trip with their three children...ALL BY THEMSELVES!!!! Showing that Jana was along to help with childcare ("entertaining" the kids, as Anna put it). You can't have that narrative with the au-pair shown tagging along. I don't think it's a money issue, since Boob seems to be the one who gets paid whenever the show "thanks" the JB Duggar Family. TLC probably doesn't want to muddy the waters here, being forced to pay Boob because Jana (part and parcel of the JB Duggar Family, even if she's of age) was included in the episode. Pity there were pictures of her all over the place, including camping!

• Love 4

TFDW really seems to have a mean-spirited side to him. He's a scary combination of macho posturing and snippiness. I feel sorry for Priscilla and almost don't think it's fair to make fun of someone with obvious mental deficiencies, but I will say the baby talk, clapping, and squealing are so annoying.

I'm glad Anna isn't pregnant. She already has three under age five, so I'm happy her body and kids will get a break from number four....at least for now.

Poor Cinderjana. Do you think they made her hide in the bathroom during the RV filming? Worst case scenario: TFDW introduces Jana to his very best "friend." He and Jana marry just so TFDW can stay close. Jana ends up becoming friends with Priscilla and her brain shrinks from a lack of stimulation. I know, I have a vivid imagination, but stranger things have happened.

• Love 3

I could watch an entire episode of a day in the life of Mackynzie. She is so hilarious and I love watching her tell us what's what. It's such a nice change from her little aunts shouting lines at the camera. I laughed hard when she got offended at the idea of Michael having to save her from the fire. He just wanted to play hero to his big sister and she wasn't having anyone think she needed his help! So refreshing and normal sibling interaction.

Speaking of sibling interaction, I noticed Josh and David act more like brothers than Josh and John David/Joseph/Josiah/*insert random howler here*. Their interaction was much more natural, whereas with his actual brothers it seems to be more of a "well...I guess we have to talk to each other.." I don't mind the pissing contest between David and Josh. That's something they would have gotten out of their systems growing up in a normal environment in school and on sports teams. They never had the chance to be competitive, so piss away, boys.

Did anyone notice that Anna's voice and mannerisms change when she's been around Priscilla too long? Her speech pattern sounded different when they were being interviewed in the kitchen. Even her grammar took a hit (which is hard with this family). She sounded like she used to before she married Josh. I found that interesting because people tend to act differently around other people.

I literally LOLed when David said "God was with him.

In the TH, Anna said "It's in MY heart to have as many as God will give us." Josh's heart was saying other things, I guess.

I spent all episode looking for Jana in corners and in long camera shots. Where did they hide her?!? Edit: Good catch! So weird that she was off camera the whole time.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 5

Why do these people make such a big deal out of revealing the gender of a baby? I have friends who have had babies, relatives who have had babies, I usually receive a text saying "We're having a boy/girl" I reply "Aww, I'm so happy for you guys" and we, parents included, all go about our day. Am I cold-hearted or something?

• Love 13

I really hope that Mackynzie and Michael don't lose their personalities as they grow up in that world. I'm thinking that moving to DC and getting away from all their aunts/uncles in Arkansas during their formative years will help. I know Josh and Anna are supposedly going to raise them the same way they were raised, but I already see some differences in how they interact with the kids so fingers crossed! Also, if they have less children that will help.

• Love 2

Why do these people make such a big deal out of revealing the gender of a baby? I have friends who have had babies, relatives who have had babies, I usually receive a text saying "We're having a boy/girl" I reply "Aww, I'm so happy for you guys" and we, parents included, all go about our day. Am I cold-hearted or something?

Most people I know choose not to know/reveal the sex until the baby's born. Freaking weird, I guess.

• Love 2

Gender reveal parties are very current. Someone pointed out to me recently they're a way to get gifts past the first one or two children. I have friends who've had them, but I didn't attend (they lived too far away).  Gender reveal parties aren't my style. It's a recent trend. I do prefer the idea of knowing the gender (especially if it was my baby) ahead of time. Most of my friends announce which gender prior to birth.

Some of my fundie lite friends insist they want to be surprised, but they're  even more obsessed with gender. During one pregnancy they told everyone they wanted to be surprised, then asked for predictions, then said they were 100% percent sure of what they were having based on feelings they were, and then eventually the baby was born and their feelings were incorrect. Meanwhile they had announced both names (one for a girl and one for a boy, completely different names) and referred to their unborn child by their preferred gender. It all seems very strange to me. Since what you're having is already determined, why not know?  But that's my two cents.

I can understand why gender isn't a big deal to a lot of people. I just seem to know a lot of people who care. 

I realized Priscilla and David's children share their initials. I wonder if they'll stick with the P and D letter theme in the future.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

Me too. Who cares

• Love 7

Anna - Damn Girl!! Just when I think I might like you a little, you start up with the baby babble again.  STFU - you have three pretty adorable kids. God has already blessed you. Quit. It.  

Oh, and walking around with a pee stick in your hand is not your best look. JMHO.

And, may I just add that this was my first time to witness the much referred to erotic mud wrestling scene between Smugger and David...Oh My! It was bad enough that David and Priscilla look like Irish Twins (ewww), but there may also be some wearing of NIKE while playing for another team...nudge, nudge know what I mean ;)

Producers, please get some conflict going with this show, cause lollipops, unicorns, cheap ass weddings and root beer floats have ceased to entertain.

• Love 4

Where do I start folks? An exec from TLC really needs to step up to the plate and confess just what the heck they have been doing here for quite some time now. These stupid filler episodes are  waste of time and could have been aired anytime in the future. They need to catch up here and air the "continuing story of Benessa" and air that stupid wedding already.

I haven't been so annoyed with Ana for quite a while now, but last night's episode, was a workout for me. I heard "Michelleisms" come out of her mouth and I couldn't believe her silly baby voice when describing her traumatic childhood camping out experience. Her tongue, YES, is in the way when she speaks, AAAAAANNNND was quite annoying too. What is she starting to emulate Jim Bob with those "impromptu kisses"? It turns my stomach. Even Josh was seemingly taken by surprise with her puckering up...bleah...! 

Spot on for the video capturing Jana, in her 13 year old pink t-shirt and BIG heart necklace at the gender reveal...Caught ya' TLC...liars that you are...Josh and Anna outright lied about this trip. If a pair of able bodies parents can't go on a vacation with 3 kids, like MANY folks to every day, it's time "to close up shop", Anna. Not look for MORE! Like I suspected, Anna has NOT grown up much at all, IMO. Josh does look scared to death at living in a daycare the rest of his life and having to PAY for it too... Anna is financially clueless, like a big kid herself about these things...It is the responsibility of TLC and of this Christian family to be HONEST with the viewing audience and not mislead...to the prayer closet with them! I don't know what it is with Anna, but she clearly looks pregnant on and off, maybe it's those awful clothes she wears, or not EVER getting back in some shape after each kid, or the constant nursing she has been doing. Get thee to a gym, girl, before you become a blob of jelly and can't ever catch up again....

Can't add to the "fabulous" comments here about the Wallers folks, you've got it covered. Can't agree more. Don't the Kellers get to participate much in "grandparenthood"? Does anyone know if Pris and David own that very nice home or rent? Do they also believe in no debt? If so, they would have had to purchase that house cash and in the Chicago area? That's big bucks...how could such a young couple have accomplished that so soon in life? Thanks guys..

• Love 6

Although it seems like an incredible impossibility for any Duggar -- or anyone on this show, for that matter -- it IS possible than Josh and Anna just aren't particularly fertile (or amazingly fertile).  MOST women aren't able to pop out babies one after the other their entire reproductive lives.  I fully believe that Anna is trying her darndest and is seething with frustration and envy that she isn't constantly pregnant, and being around other pregnant women eats at her.  She admits to being competitive, has pinned her entire identity on being "a great mom" (she needs to tell Kynzie to let Michael speak every now and then, or the poor little guy will never learn how), she's from Nowheresville, FL, and grew up in a trailer; being "19 Kids 2.0" is her burning ambition, not to say throbbing ambition.  Oh, the word play!

• Love 2