Type keyword(s) to search

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Aw, that's a sweet name.   Congrats indeed.   I saw a picture just a week or two ago of WInnie --she was playing with Drew Barrymore's little girls and they were adorable together.

Yes, this is going to be the weirdes/craziest complaint, but I hate that Fallon is doing 2 new shows this week.

I think a week like Christmas week should be special, unlike the rest of the year.

But Fallon is doing shows on Christmas Eve Eve and Christmas Eve Eve Eve, which makes it, well, like the rest of the year.

Yes, it's an odd complaint. But I like TV shows taking a break...at least he's not working on Christmas Eve.

I don't like it when Jimmy just steamrolls all over a guest in a game.  It looked like Chris Pine was  pretty embarrassed by the end of that last night.  It really did seem like Jimmy knew where all the ships were in advance even if he didn't.

Yes, this is going to be the weirdes/craziest complaint, but I hate that Fallon is doing 2 new shows this week.

It doesn't bother me.  Plenty of other people have to work, too.  One of the best things about him IMO is his work ethic.  i like that he does a full week while everyone else skips out on Fridays.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I think a week like Christmas week should be special, unlike the rest of the year.

But Fallon is doing shows on Christmas Eve Eve and Christmas Eve Eve Eve, which makes it, well, like the rest of the year.

Yes, it's an odd complaint. But I like TV shows taking a break...at least he's not working on Christmas Eve.

Plus the irony that the only host with a new baby is the only one that's working. Or maybe that's the reason :)

• Love 1

Plus the irony that the only host with a new baby is the only one that's working. Or maybe that's the reason :)

I remember when Fallon first started in late night, he would do road gigs on weekends, and tweet like 60 times over the entire weekend.

Thank god he stopped that.

What these late-night hosts have to realize is that it's okay to take time off. Make us miss you, so that we'll be more appreciative when you get back.

When Seth Meyers usually takes time off, his social media staff tweets or Instagrams as if the show was still going on...Thankfully, his staff apparently has this week off.

Oh my, that Kidman interview was golden.  It will probably be shown in his highlight clips for years to come.  I hate to say that she should become a regular because this one should stand on its own, but there is undeniable chemistry there.   I usually get so bored with "Box of Lies", but even that was fantastic.  I just about choked when she gave her last clue.

• Love 3

Loved The Fresh Prince opening last night.  That's what I was missing from the post-Super Bowl show.  I loved when he went to Indianapolis the last time they had the game, and he marched through the streets.

The Michael Keaton interview was good too.  I wonder why he can't stay through Friday in LA.  He did that in Florida as well.

I'm always up for a good lip-synch battle, but I don't know if they will ever top the Emma Stone one.  Jimmy had to really help Kevin Hart push through on "Roar" as the last song.

I think the show is really in the zone now.  Is he the best interviewer?  No, of course not.  But I think it succeeds at what he said his goal was on the first night.  For it to go down easy and let people leave the day with a smile. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
The Michael Keaton interview was good too.  I wonder why he can't stay through Friday in LA.  He did that in Florida as well.

Don't forget Fallon did a show from Phoenix on Sunday...and he was hanging at Arizona State on Saturday (by himself, apparently).

So he'd be working 7 straight days, maybe more, if he did a show on Friday, with all that travel. Then he'd have to work on Monday.

Thought this was funny. I wonder how the shout-outs are chosen (my NBC affiliate in the SF Bay Area got one):

Edited by nowandlater

"Where do you get those wings?" "Target or Walmart!"  I've had a good laugh all day because of that.

Also Jimmy and the Chris(es)' photo bombing did the one thing they set out to do: really envious of those who got their photos "screwed up."

Edited by mtlchick

So he'd be working 7 straight days, maybe more, if he did a show on Friday, with all that travel. Then he'd have to work on Monday.

That's a very good point.  working and traveling must be a pain.  one of the other hosts do it that much.   I do remember early on that Leno went to NY for a eek and discovered he liked being able to touch the audience.  (I also remember  Leno walking the hall in 30 Rock that week at the end of The Tonight Show to transition to Conan's show.  Sigh. Happier times.) 

I think Jimmy and Seth could think of some funny transitions between the two shows if they just put some effort into it.  I think Seth tapes right after Jimmy, but maybe i'm wrong about that.

I'm a bit late to the conversation about the Super Bowl after show, but I just had to say that I loved the lip-synch battle with Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart. I think Will won that battle hands down with his performance of "Drunk in Love," although Jimmy was great with Drew Barrymore too.

• Love 1

I'm a huge fan of Saved by the Bell and seeing most of the cast reunited to do a sketch on the Tonight Show was a dream come true for me. Too bad "Lisa" and "Screech" weren't there, but it was awesome nonetheless. :)

Too bad "Lisa" and "Screech" weren't there, but it was awesome nonetheless. :)

Dustin is the black sheep of the group as it is, and I have a feeling his recent arrest may have resulted in a travel ban.  As for Lark...if you've seen recent pictures of her, you would not have recognized her.  

• Love 1

So how did they film that? Obviously before a live studio audience? But did they do it before the show? Or with another audience? Or the same audience? What about retakes? They couldn't have been perfect the first time?

I've seen Tiffani Amber Tiessen on other shows. She looks older. And so does Mark-Paul. Why couldn't they apply some "youngerizer" makeup on him? Or maybe they did, and it didn't work.

Also, Mr. Belding is always in the news as it seems he makes a living off of being Mr. Belding.

Still, it's remarkable since they "graduated" 22 years ago.

Edited by nowandlater

Obviously before a live studio audience?

It  looked live to me.  If it was taped, Jimmy certainly faked it well.  He broke character at the end , thanked the cast, and said they would be right back.

I've seen Tiffani Amber Tiessen on other shows. She looks older.

I think she looked great and rocking the pregnancy glow. 

Last night's show: I adore Jimmy and Will for the fact they did It Takes Two.  LOVE that song like no other.

I think she looked great and rocking the pregnancy glow. 

Last night's show: I adore Jimmy and Will for the fact they did It Takes Two.  LOVE that song like no other.

I was trying to say she looks older (but not too much older) on other shows, but she looked like her old teenage Saved by the Bell self on Fallon.

As for Brian Williams, I don't think Fallon is going to go there. He has a terrific excuse, though, in being "on the road."

But, man, this story is getting ugly.

(My personal feeling is that Williams has watered down his reputation over the years by doing too many non-news things, like hosting SNL, or presenting an award at the NFL Awards show last week -- especially when the NFL is a major newsmaker. I also don't like the Fallon raps. I mean, they were okay at first. Now they're played out -- Actually, I think I'm more annoyed by how EVERY PUBLICATION still covers every Williams rap, especially this week. But if I was Williams, I'd ask Fallon to stop.)

Two months ago (at the end of November), Williams was on Letterman talking about his daughter as Peter Pan. Next week, he'll be on Letterman again, a visit that was scheduled before this controversy.

Edited by nowandlater

As for Brian Williams, I don't think Fallon is going to go there. He has a terrific excuse, though, in being "on the road."

Two months ago (at the end of November), Williams was on Letterman talking about his daughter as Peter Pan. Next week, he'll be on Letterman again, a visit that was scheduled before this controversy.

---- I don't think we'll be slow jamming the news anytime soon.

----I'd be pretty surprised if that Letterman appearance wasn't cancelled.

(My personal feeling is that Williams has watered down his reputation over the years by doing too many non-news things, like hosting SNL, or presenting an award at the NFL Awards show last week -- especially when the NFL is a major newsmaker. I also don't like the Fallon raps. I mean, they were okay at first. Now they're played out -- Actually, I think I'm more annoyed by how EVERY PUBLICATION still covers every Williams rap, especially this week. But if I was Williams, I'd ask Fallon to stop.)

I mostly disagree with this because this scandal has nothing to do with slow jamming the news or any other appearances.  People have always liked that he has a sense of humor.  But I don't think he's even going to have to ask Jimmy to stop.  That will be automatic and done.

This only really erupted late Wednesday and yesterday, so I don't think it says anything that Jimmy hasn't done any jokes yet.  We'll see what happens next week.  I feel for Jimmy on that.  Even if they aren't  friends, they obviously do have a close professional relationship.  And the network itself may push him to go easy on the jokes.  it's a tough situation.

Edited by vb68

I mostly disagree with this because this scandal has nothing to do with slow jamming the news or any other appearances.  People have always liked that he has a sense of humor.  But I don't think he's even going to have to ask Jimmy to stop.  That will be automatic and done.

Last week, I was watching the NFL Honors awards show on NBC, hosted by Seth Meyers.

I was stunned when Brian Williams came out to present a special award. Yes, it was on NBC. But it was odd seeing the NBC News anchor at an NFL event, especially since the NFL has been the lead story on many of his newscasts the past few months.

My point is, sure, Tom Brokaw made occasional jokey appearances on Conan and Letterman (particularly their first episodes on NBC and CBS).

But that was occasionally.

As these 2 articles I've linked to point out, Williams appears on entertainment programs excessively.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/02/brian-williamss-jack-shafer-114974.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brian-williams-years-courting-celebrity-770876

Last year, he was a big part of Spike TV's roast of Don Rickles. What was he doing there?

The slow jamming and the rapping, which I blame him for, should be kept to an absolute minimum.

That and all his entertainment show appearances reek of him trying to be an entertainer.

And when you're an entertainer, you want to please the audience or get them to pay attention.

And when you're trying to do that, you're more like to do exactly what he did on Letterman in 2013 when he lied about being under attack.

This scandal, of course, damages his image. But it'll be harder to recover your authoritative image when you're the Slow Jam Rapper guy.

As Jack Shafer says in one of the pieces I linked above:

If he is to survive his lapses (and given my low view of the broadcast news-readers we call “anchors,” it doesn’t matter to me whether he stays or goes) he needs to recast himself from the wittiest and most engaging story-teller in the room and into the hardest-boiled of TV journalists. If desiring a career as a comedian or an actor, he should quit the news business and pursue his Hollywood dreams. But if he chooses journalism, I’d have him strike from his calendar all future guests spots on entertainment programs.

There’s nothing wrong with a journalist making a few visits to the late night couches, but the frequency of Williams’ appearances on entertainment programs indicate he’s forgotten what business he’s in. Nobody is big enough to slow jam the news and broadcast the news at the same time.

Edited by nowandlater

This scandal, of course, damages his image. But it'll be harder to recover your authoritative image when you're the Slow Jam Rapper guy.

That's neither here nor there IMO.  It's not like he does that every week. It is pretty minimal.  

Regardless, there is a thread for NBC News under Networks in Misc TV Talk where posters are discussing this topic.

Edited by vb68

That was some look of intense hell on Colin Firth's face while playing Catchphrase with Triumph the Insult Dog .  Hee.  The best part was when he mumbled "Oh we're still playing?"   It was hilarious, but he was the wrong guest for that.  He looked he wanted to fire whoever booked him.   And nobody thought through how Triumph would pick up the cards.

Speaking of Triumph, he was on fire during his segment with the references to Conan.  And I nearly died at his Aretha Franklin joke.   But they really, really should have rehearsed those camera angles.  Big Oops on that. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Jimmy said guests are given the choice of games. Normally catch phrase is one of the least risky ones and it seemed like a reasonable choice for Colin Firth, until you realize you have to play it along with a one wacky participant. LOL

• Love 1

Speaking of Triumph, he was on fire during his segment with the references to Conan.  And I nearly died at his Aretha Franklin joke.   But they really, really should have rehearsed those camera angles.  Big Oops on that. 

Also the magazines were great.

• Love 1

I'm sure other hosts have done the show hung over, but I wonder how many have admitted it.

Also wonder how that happened with Edward Norton coming out early.  I thought it was time for him myself, and Jimmy screwed up the intro.

I do wish shows would quit booking Chris Brown.  Sadly The Tonight Show isn't alone in that.

Edited by vb68

Watching Jim Parsons play the game suggests to me that he isn't entirely acting when he plays Sheldon.  The look on Wiz's face when they told him to name Taylor Swift songs was priceless!