Type keyword(s) to search

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So... was Stevie Wonder REALLY a surprise, or not really a surprise?

The writers, bloggers, Roots members and the music booker all said it was a surprise. No reason not to believe them.

Does anyone know what Sofia said about Justin Timberlake when she was speaking for Jimmy? 

According to YouTube comments, it means "Hello! I am Jimmy Fallon. I am a very sexy man. I would like to be the boyfriend of Justin Timberlake."

• Love 1

Heeheehee! Thanks sum!

I heard "boyfriend" and the sexy man thing at the end but needed to know. She must watch the show I guess, or she's lobbying on behalf of people like myself who are over their bromance/infatuation. 

Edited by meisje

Heeheehee! Thanks sum!

I heard "boyfriend" and the sexy man thing at the end but needed to know. She must watch the show I guess, or she's lobbying on behalf of people like myself who are over their bromance/infatuation. 

I gather most young-ish hollywood celebrities would know it by now either way. Also seemingly it's become a running gag on the show, as it makes Jimmy blush. ;) I remember some guests making fun of their bromance(infatuation!) in the past few months. Chris Rock, Ben Stiller the Hashtag Panda and Eve Hewson off the top of my head. I'm not too crazy about it but don't mind it either.

Oh man, Jimmy singing "Duke of Earl" with Robert Plant was great.

Loved Chris Pratt yesterday and his story about how he got that hilarious first headshot. Normally a story like that would end in a far less happy way, which I think Jimmy and his audience was anticipating.

Nathan Lane was awesome tonight.  He was so funny, especially his impression of Jimmy.

I hope he wins an Emmy.  Hee.

I'm so glad I didn't delete this epi, I must have watched the part where Nathan plays Jimmy 10x: the man is a God among men. His impressions of Matthew had me cry-laughing as well, "oh, hi sarah..... oh, we're both wearing blue oxford shirts..." 

Loved Chris Pratt yesterday and his story about how he got that hilarious first headshot. Normally a story like that would end in a far less happy way, which I think Jimmy and his audience was anticipating.

Chris was great and his 7-piece suit was very dapper too. He seems like such an honest and decent person that his life is sort of charmed like that, and I cannot wait for Parks and Rec whenever NBC gets the hell around to putting it on the sched. I love that that late 70s/early 80s album-cover head shot was what landed him on Everwood.  

• Love 2

Wow, that was the first not-completely-horrible interview I've ever seen with Kristen Stewart. There was still lots of fidgeting and looking uncomfortable, but he actually got her to laugh and loosen up a little bit. (He also interrupted her a lot, but I'll overlook that today.)

I'd never seen her on his show before -- does he always get her out of her shell a bit?

I am so glad Jimmy had Carol Burnett in a skit.  I used to love watching reruns of her show when I was a kid. 

I'm not a really huge Fallon fan, but seeing her on his couch expressing appreciation for him really warmed my heart.

• Love 1

I could easily watch a whole show of Charles Barkley trying to play charades.  The key word there is "trying".  I  was cracking up when he yelled at Jimmy that he was awful.

• Love 2

I just caught a clip of Bette Midler singing "Waterfalls".  I'm having a wig cop moment.  Anyone else??  There's no way that wasn't a wig right? It was all I could look at while she was singing. 

I was thinking the same thing & I'm sure it was a wig!!!

Hmm, I wonder what Jay Leno's older, more conservative audience thought of his stand-up routine on Friday (if they're still watching). I thought the child abuse and masturbation jokes were a little much, and not particularly funny either. I've seen comedians make horrid topics hilarious (Ricky Gervais comes to mind), but Jay didn't pull it off, IMO.

I wonder what Jay Leno's older, more conservative audience thought of his stand-up routine on Friday (if they're still watching). I thought the child abuse and masturbation jokes were a little much, and not particularly funny either. I've seen comedians make horrid topics hilarious (Ricky Gervais comes to mind), but Jay didn't pull it off, IMO.

Yes...the stand-up definitely fell flat....I suppose in Las Vegas when everybody is all liquored up, then it will probably seem hilarious. 

Enjoyed him more when sitting down and when he was with Lucy Liu, who I found to be quite delightful, unlike the characters she usually plays on TV.(IMHO)  Also liked seeing the Kinks guitarist (although pretty rough looking)

You know Jimmy in all that time praising Foxcatcher could you maybe have spent 2 minutes actually explaining what the movie is about, because I had to imdb it to actually understand.  I feel bad for saying this because Jimmy seems to be a nice guy but I hope Colbert kicks his ass.  He's picked up some of the worst traits of Leno in being as bland as water.

• Love 1

You know Jimmy in all that time praising Foxcatcher could you maybe have spent 2 minutes actually explaining what the movie is about, because I had to imdb it to actually understand.  I feel bad for saying this because Jimmy seems to be a nice guy but I hope Colbert kicks his ass.  He's picked up some of the worst traits of Leno in being as bland as water.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, Jimmy's enthusiasm interferes with the easiest interviews & I can't watch anymore without getting totally disgusted!!!  (I used to love him, but now ...... )

He really likes that Truth or Lie game.  It just seems like they play it a lot, which is OK I guess, but I find it rather  boring.  I guess it's something easy to get guests to agree to do.

I've also noticed they have really cut back on all the speed racing games through the studio and hallways.    i wonder if those got shot down for being too juvenile or immature with older audiences.

I also wonder how the whole U2 thing for a whole week will go over.  It sounds like overkill, and I think I would be at a loss on what to do with them by mid-week.

I just feel like so much of Jimmy's Shtick worked okay for Late Night but is falling apart a bit now.  I've never seen Kimmel so I'm not sure what kind of interviewer he is, but Seth and Craig are so much better (yeah Craig's not one for pushing the projects, but he gets more out of the guests than any other) I would put Conan ahead of Jimmy too. Dave is hard to say because he really doesn't care anymore.  But that can make for a fun show, see Dave's recent interview with Jennifer Lawrence.  Part of the big problem is Jimmy can't stop kissing the guests ass long enough  to have an interesting conversation but also in my opinion he doesn't have what it takes to really either control a conversation or redirect it, which is why he needs the games it's the only way he can deal with unpredictability and not just stop dead (though that happens in the games too)

Jimmy's biggest asset is still looking like he's in his late 20's early 30's and is still someone connected into current social trends.  That can't last.  Conan's moved into the old man who doesn't get today's youth aspect a little (see his video games segment)  Kimmel plays the same way as Jimmy but his snarkier attitude probably sells it a way that helps him despite being 47.  I just think 5-6 years from these games and history of rap part 8 is just going to look a little tired. 

• Love 2

I just feel like so much of Jimmy's Shtick worked okay for Late Night but is falling apart a bit now.  I've never seen Kimmel so I'm not sure what kind of interviewer he is, but Seth and Craig are so much better (yeah Craig's not one for pushing the projects, but he gets more out of the guests than any other) I would put Conan ahead of Jimmy too. Dave is hard to say because he really doesn't care anymore.  But that can make for a fun show, see Dave's recent interview with Jennifer Lawrence.  Part of the big problem is Jimmy can't stop kissing the guests ass long enough  to have an interesting conversation but also in my opinion he doesn't have what it takes to really either control a conversation or redirect it, which is why he needs the games it's the only way he can deal with unpredictability and not just stop dead (though that happens in the games too)

Jimmy's biggest asset is still looking like he's in his late 20's early 30's and is still someone connected into current social trends.  That can't last.  Conan's moved into the old man who doesn't get today's youth aspect a little (see his video games segment)  Kimmel plays the same way as Jimmy but his snarkier attitude probably sells it a way that helps him despite being 47.  I just think 5-6 years from these games and history of rap part 8 is just going to look a little tired.

Should we consider changing this threads title?

i thought Batali had already been scheduled previously?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I saw him in the listings last week.

The only person I see scheduled for Thursday so far is Mark Ruffalo.

I dislike watching Fallon but I tuned in the other night to see Benedict Cumberbatch. Realized that I'll need to apply Leno Law here--that is, the host completely sucks so even my favorites aren't worth seeing on this show.

I generally like Fallon, and I heart Cumberbatch, but that was a really bad combination of two people who can't shut up.

I thought the Michael Cera interview was really odd.  I know Fallon is competitive, but it seemed like Cera didn't really appreciate Fallon's behavior.  Maybe he was pretending to be put off, but the whole thing made me cringe a little.  Maybe Fallon should dial down the competitiveness a smidge?

For some reason I was amused by Bill O'Reilly just sitting there during the Lorde talk.

I remember him doing the same thing with Anthony Mackie.  The only difference was that Mackie kept trying to engage him which was really funny because O'Reilly had no idea what to say, which in turn kept encouraging Mackie.

While he was perfectly pleasant, I think NBC must have made Walken go on the show to promote Peter Pan Live-he made it clear that he was "not used to having to talk about something that hasn't happened yet" and also.....No games!