Type keyword(s) to search

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/3/2021 at 12:16 AM, Bliss said:

Any Jimmy Fallon fans here watching "That's My Jam"?

I searched for a thread here... can't find anything... and well, the first show was hilarious at times. Some great banter and excellent singing by the Voice coaches... they could cut some of the goofy parts and I wouldn't complain. Overall, I'll be watching again. I hope the singing remains such high quality!

The Divas battle between Ariana and Kelly.  It was obviously staged but I cried 3-5 times.  I've probably watched it 10 times by now.  It was amazing.

Somebody tweeted "Why no Mariah?" and of course as a Mariah fan I couldn't help but wonder if Ariana was too intimidated to try it.  I mean, they did Whitney TWICE.  Why no Mariah? And Britney is not some huge challenge.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 3/21/2021 at 3:34 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Franny is a star though

I actually started watching Jimmy Fallon’s show regularly during the pandemic. It became one of the few bright spots in my day. I fell in love with those kids.  Franny is a star for sure! I loved her on that keyboard during Thank You Notes. She was definitely showing her creativity. That little smile … those cheeks … give her a few years and she should have her own show!  And going down the slide at the end - I just loved that whole thing.

Fallon fans, please don’t hate me, but I have tried to continue watching and I have to say, I preferred the pandemic shows.  For many reasons (besides the kids which of course can’t be a part of the show!).  But he just seemed to be so much more natural at home. That opening where he would run down the steps of his home to that cute little musical tune, rather than The Roots shouting “Hey hey hey HEY!!”  I’m not a fan of The Roots (again, please don’t hate me!). I can’t stand Steve Harvey. He adds absolutely nothing. And of course we are back to the silly games and Jimmy fawning over all of his guests.

So I’m watching tonight and his hair looks freshly dyed (too dark in my opinion) and short on the sides and long on the top of his head. That’s the other thing about him - he tries too hard to be young and current. Oh and apparently Machine Gun Kelly is his good friend, judging from his show the other day. Hey, I am *really* old and I love MGK’s music, so that’s not the issue. It’s just that buddy-buddy thing that irks. He just seems try too hard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, JMarie99 said:

So I’m watching tonight and his hair looks freshly dyed (too dark in my opinion) and short on the sides and long on the top of his head. That’s the other thing about him - he tries too hard to be young and current. Oh and apparently Machine Gun Kelly is his good friend, judging from his show the other day. Hey, I am *really* old and I love MGK’s music, so that’s not the issue. It’s just that buddy-buddy thing that irks. He just seems try too hard.

I love Jimmy, but this is definitely true.  He tries wayyyyyyyy too hard with the younger Millennials.  You can see the way he acts with people like Demi Lovato and people like that.  He always calls them "pal" or "bestie".  That's always his pet name for the young set.  He's terrified to act his age.

I guess I should be happy he doesn't act creepy like Letterman or like a pathetic schoolboy like Conan.  But just -- call them by their names?  Treat them like people?  LOL.  You don't have to pretend to be "besties" with everyone.  It's too much.

And on SNL, he was soooooooooooooo hot.  And he didn't look like everyone else.  But he's gotten so much Botox and work done he's made himself look so generic.  I don't know who is giving him this advice that he needs to change his face to be a talk show host.  It's a damn shame.  He dated Winona Ryder!  He modelled for Calvin Klein!  He was always hot.  He didn't need to change anything.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Most of the time Jimmy calls a guest Buddy.  I take it he does that to avoid sounding inappropriate.  In today’s climate calling someone sweetie, honey or something like that would likely not be acceptable.  That’s my take on it.  

Jimmy is multitalented and I suppose that’s why he is friends a lot of musicians and actors.  It makes sense to not hide it.  And, I would be shocked if Jimmy had any facial work done. He looks considerably older that he did 10 years ago.  

• Love 1

Congrats to Oscar winner Questlove!! Too bad his win was completely overshadowed by Will Smith and Chris Rock (the latter was presenting Quest's category). I would really like to see Summer of Soul - from interviews I've seen Quest (and Jimmy) give, this doc was truly a labor of love. Congrats, good sir. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I would really like to see Summer of Soul - from interviews I've seen Quest (and Jimmy) give, this doc was truly a labor of love. Congrats, good sir. 

Summer of Soul is superb. Not only Oscar-worthy, but worthy of archiving in the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian, and should be included next time samples of human culture are sent into deep space. Heck. Just broadcast it to the universe now.  
Bravo, Questlove!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Congrats to Oscar winner Questlove!! Too bad his win was completely overshadowed by Will Smith and Chris Rock (the latter was presenting Quest's category). I would really like to see Summer of Soul - from interviews I've seen Quest (and Jimmy) give, this doc was truly a labor of love. Congrats, good sir. 

I, too, was so happy to see Questlove win the Oscar for his Documentary!  It was truly a passion project for him.  We watched it(I think it was Hulu) and it was fun & informative.  And yes, too bad that his win was over-shadowed by the whole Will Smith drama.

• Love 2

Very funny show tonight, since it is April Fools Day, the 2 Jimmys switched places!  At 1st, we thought we were on the wrong channel when we saw Jimmy Kimmel show up on the Tonight Show, then they had a split screen of the 2 Jimmys who said they had been planning this since 2020...it was a good joke.  Jimmy Kimmel even did Jimmy Fallon's "Friday Thank You Notes"...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Axie said:

Ironically, Jimmy Fallon’s show was much better with Jimmy Kimmel hosting it.

Not sure that’s ironic.😉

However, speaking of comparisons:   
I thought The Roots minus Questlove (while he was getting an Oscar) held their own better than Stay Human has been doing on Colbert’s show while Jon Batiste is picking up maybe as many as eleven Grammys.  
That may or may not be ironic. 😜

• Love 1
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Loved Jimmy’s song performance Wednesday night of Edit Tweet.  Lol. It was to the tune of Let It Be.  Was he really playing the piano?  

I thought so, until the very end when his right hand didn't seem to match the flourishes. IDK.
It always breaks my heart that his left hand injury pretty much put the kibosh on his guitar playing.

15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I felt so bad for the cat on tonight's show. He looked terrified. They should have shown a video of his guitar-playing (I can't really imagine it, but I assume the staff saw it before they invited them to the taping).

I think that's how Letterman's Stupid Pet Tricks went, if it didn't work it didn't work. But yeah, they should have some video ready to go just in case.

I was also trying to figure out if giving a dog something to eat and he then eats it is "special"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Great to see Shaffer and the band gather for a gig even if it was for Fallon. Nobody does 'walk-on" music like they do (which is to say they are the only band that plays more than a bar of some song.  Most of them just keep repeating the same riff over and over until told to stop by somebody in the broadcast booth)

Only disappointment was Paul going off on one of his music insider stories.  Only person I've determined that keeps him from prattling on was Letterman who ran a tight ship in that regard.

Also, would it have killed anyone to introduce members of the band?  Oh yeah, Paul wasted that time doing the lounge act.  Great to see everyone there albeit a missing Sid McGinnis. IIRC near the end of the Late Show gig there was a little friction between him and someone with the show.  I vaguely remember thinking he was let go, but he tours with a lot of acts so he might have just been on the road.

They even got to play the NBC "Late Night with..." theme at the end of the show.  Anton's solos in that piece are just the best.

Edited by kib
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why it's perm week, but almost all the partiicpants looked worse with the perms and those are going to be terrible to grow out because they're all such tight curls. I think Jimmy should've subjected himself to it instead of just wearing a wig.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm tired of him making fun of Biden's age

Fallon’s not the only one, but I think I know what you mean.
It’s ageist.  
However, when it comes to someone like the POTUS, there’s a case to be made for it being a good thing to have friendly jokes crowding out the enemies’ more strident verbal barbs.

Or did you just mean you’re literally tired of those old jokes?  
I never found don’t find them funny, but I’m no spring chicken myself.🐥

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Fallon’s not the only one, but I think I know what you mean.
It’s ageist.  
However, when it comes to someone like the POTUS, there’s a case to be made for it being a good thing to have friendly jokes crowding out the enemies’ more strident verbal barbs.

Or did you just mean you’re literally tired of those old jokes?  
I never found don’t find them funny, but I’m no spring chicken myself.🐥

It's one thing to make fun of a few of Biden's--or anyone else's--gaffes, no matter their age, but Fallon has made it a running joke about Biden.  So, to me, it goes beyond just being "friendly."    

• Like 4

I don't watch Jimmy that often, and I watch The View very rarely, but I happened to catch him on The View today (Tuesday, March 7), and he was really terrific. I don't think I've ever seen Whoopi enjoy herself more.

• Useful 2

I really like Jimmy and this show, but lately I haven’t watched it much.  I like his monologue, but then when they go straight to a game ……I’m just not into that.  A game later in the show with a guest might work, but the game with 4 people before anything else doesn’t appeal to me.  

• Like 1

There's nowhere else to discuss "That's My Jam" so I hope no one minds if I mention it here--its discussed a bit earlier up above so I'm assuming it on? 

Anyway. I freaking love this show. It is HILARIOUS and on this week's episode Billy Porter sang a gospel version of Kelly Clarkson's "What Doesn't Kill You (Makes You Stronger)" that was soo dang good and at one point Patti LaBelle just grabbed a aic and started wailing along with him and it was GORGEOUS. 

Buy honestly, do celebs just not get a say in what they do? Because Billy Porter and Ariana Grande both said on this show that they don't like playing games.Why come on a show like this if that's true? 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, hiisa said:

Buy honestly, do celebs just not get a say in what they do? Because Billy Porter and Ariana Grande both said on this show that they don't like playing games.Why come on a show like this if that's true?

I didn't see the particular show(s) you're referencing, but, having myself declared "I don't like games," (it's even a reason I don't watch Fallon more often) there are exceptions that I enjoy––more or less, heh.

So I'm guessing going on Fallon and playing a game is an exception professed-game-haters Billy Porter and Ariana Grande are down for, but, at the same time, they do NOT want to get flooded with invitations to play other games.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, hiisa said:

There's nowhere else to discuss "That's My Jam" so I hope no one minds if I mention it here--its discussed a bit earlier up above so I'm assuming it on? 

Anyway. I freaking love this show. It is HILARIOUS and on this week's episode Billy Porter sang a gospel version of Kelly Clarkson's "What Doesn't Kill You (Makes You Stronger)" that was soo dang good and at one point Patti LaBelle just grabbed a aic and started wailing along with him and it was GORGEOUS. 

I like the singing parts, but I don't enjoy things like having them put their hands in squishy foods, or spraying them in the face. 

Also, maybe I got distracted and missed it, but I thought Fallon said they are playing for charity, but he didn't say what charity or how much was donated?

• Like 2

Omg, Jimmy must have gotten a really good facial or something.  He looks amazing!  The episode I’m watching is the one with Michell Obama.  I haven’t watched lately, but know they’re airing reruns due to writer’s strike. He looked so much younger than last year.  Wonder if he gave up alcohol.  When he first came out, I thought it was a super old episode, like when he first got the job. 

• Useful 1
On 5/25/2023 at 12:17 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg, Jimmy must have gotten a really good facial or something.  He looks amazing!  The episode I’m watching is the one with Michell Obama.  I haven’t watched lately, but know they’re airing reruns due to writer’s strike. He looked so much younger than last year.  Wonder if he gave up alcohol.  When he first came out, I thought it was a super old episode, like when he first got the job. 

I was glad when he finally shaved his beard...I thought it was very unattractive...he looks much young when clean shaven.  Plus, I think his hair looks darker...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I was glad when he finally shaved his beard...I thought it was very unattractive...he looks much young when clean shaven.  Plus, I think his hair looks darker...

I hadn’t noticed the darker hair.  I didn’t like the beard either.  It did nothing for him, imo.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Wasn't it a few years ago we learned that he was out drinking to excess every night and then had an accident where he almost lost his pinky finger? He said he'd slipped on a rug at home. Alcoholics *can* drink excessively every night but still show up for work the next day. Time for a late summer vacation, Jimmy.

• Sad 2

I just listen to the third episode of the Strike Force Five podcast. It’s really becoming apparent that Fallon cannot keep up with the other four intellectually. His dependence on his writers is really showing. The other hosts banter very easily, and are quite quick-witted. Jimmy just always seems several steps behind.

• Like 4
On 9/13/2023 at 11:17 PM, anna0852 said:

I just listen to the third episode of the Strike Force Five podcast. It’s really becoming apparent that Fallon cannot keep up with the other four intellectually. His dependence on his writers is really showing. The other hosts banter very easily, and are quite quick-witted. Jimmy just always seems several steps behind.

You should love the latest one then (9/15).

“Didn’t you win an Emmy as a game show host?”

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

You should love the latest one then (9/15).

“Didn’t you win an Emmy as a game show host?”

I listened to that one today. Very funny, but what I said previously is even more evident. One of them even flat out stated how much Jimmy must be depending on his writer some producers.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I listened to that one today. Very funny, but what I said previously is even more evident. One of them even flat out stated how much Jimmy must be depending on his writer some producers.

To be fair, if you hadn’t pointed it out, I probably wouldn’t have noticed. Just wrote it off as general good natured ribbing among friends. But now I can’t unsee (unhear?) it. 

On 9/13/2023 at 11:17 PM, anna0852 said:

I'm not surprised at all. I was stunned when NBC anointed him as host of The Tonight Show.  

• Like 1

The first 15 or so minutes of episode 7 of Strike Force Five has Jimmy Fallon telling a story that had me laughing so much that my eyes watered: spotify.link/ZxldiR4AqDb
— and I almost never laugh at jokes. 
I think it worked because Jon Stewart was there too and helped make it a group improv, but it was Fallon’s story.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

From last night's Thank You Notes: 

• Thank you, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,"
    for the scariest moment in any "Peanuts" special,
    when you realize Sally is just Charlie Brown in a wig.
    image.thumb.png.e3efbfa84e1e750b6c9768fef9250afd.png

🤣

That is very funny (I never noticed the resemblance, despite that the characters are supposed to be siblings), but I don't find it scary! It makes me like both characters a lot more!!

• LOL 1