Type keyword(s) to search

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Does anyone know what happened to Frank Knuckles, the percussionist for The Roots?  He's been gone and replaced for over a month.  His Twitter refers to something that happened, but nothing specific.

21 hours ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

http://beeishappy.tumblr.com/post/166003141534/corden-meyers-kimmel-colbert-conan

These are the responses from the major Late Night hosts about Las Vegas. All save Jimmy who didn't do a monologue and let Adam Sandler and Miley Cyrus sing a song.  

Fallon is a fucking coward. He didn't say anything about vegas, because he couldn't bring himself to take anything resembling a stand. 

I bet it's a combo of that (which is certainly 100% true) and the fact that everyone watching knows how fake he sounds trying to sound sincere about anything. The 18 seconds of him introducing Miley was already pushing his limit on him not sounding silly, smarmy, or kissing someone's ass.

Kimmel was the MVP of the night, with Meyers a close second and Colbert not too distant a third. Corden did okay, but like Fallon he has a bit of a problem seeming serious--even if it's only a fraction as bad as Fallon has it. Conan tried to have something to say this time, but as he himself pointed out, he's just not political and kind of out of things to say. But Fallon?  Never has had anything to say in the first place. And actually Trevor Noah should probably slot in there too, somewhere around the same place as Meyers. He had a lot to say and said it very well. I remember being skeptical of him when they gave him that show, but he's proved me wrong. And I guess we get a round two of this when John Oliver and Sam Bee get to talk about this. And have Chelsea Handler and Bill Mahr?  I'm not even sure I care what those two think, because neither of them has impressed me in a long time with either comedy or issue-oriented stuff.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Jim Jeffries also made a statement I appreciated, even though it wasn't funny at all.

I like Fallon when he's doing his musical transformations-- his "Reading Rainbow" blew my mind, and he's fun with that kind of thing. I don't watch him anymore because I'm obsessed with politics, but there are times I want to check out and not be obsessed and it helps me to recharge if I can think about something else. I don't choose Fallon's show for that but I can see how it might fill a need for some people.

On some level, I have trouble understanding how anyone could be totally checked out and fluffy full time, because that's just not in my temperament to be that chill. But on another level, realistically, it's not all that surprising. In my day to day life, I meet plenty of people who are oblivious and uninformed, probably moreso than Fallon himself. So if there are people like that in every other segment of the population, there's no reason to think there won't be people like that in entertainment or whatever late night talk show hosts are categorized as being.

Of course, the Las Vegas massacre wasn't exactly the sole domain of policy wonks. But in general I think sometimes people just want to be completely distracted, and that's Fallon's niche.

• Love 4

I admit I enjoyed Justin and Jimmy's Songversation as it took on a weird "Barry Gibb Talk Show" vibe.

However it seems Justin was REALLY choosing his words carefully about the Prince bit during his half time performance given what's he's said about him in the past and how the Internet wasn't too thrilled with the results. 

• Love 3

One of the best things I’ve ever seen in late night (any show) is when individuals spoke to the poster of Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther about what the movie meant to them and then he came out from behind the curtain to surprise them.  It was funny and it was moving.  Absolutely wonderful Tonight Show segment — loved it the first time last month and caught it again tonight on the re-run.  Jimmy was so cute with it too and he loved making it happen.  Chadwick is a gem.  Have loved his talent ever since he wowed as Jackie Robinson in 42 and then James Brown — so thrilled to see his huge success now.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2018 at 4:22 PM, BigPaul25 said:

Anybody see Dennis Miller onFallon last night? I miss the pre 09/11 Dennis before that event brainwashed him into an unfunny RW d-bag.

Geez. Why would ANY reputable show have Miller on? 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the Tonight Show's trip to Puerto Rico...it was fun & interesting & made me want to travel to P.R. :)  Watching Jimmy and Tarik on the Zip line was hysterical, and Jimmy's talk with Lin Manuel was so interesting & Jimmy showing up in "Hamilton" costume.  I don't know who Bad Bunny is, but I enjoyed his music that started the show & the fun Conga line thru town.  Jimmy always is so enthused with new things, so I enjoyed the show.

• Love 4

Just watching Fallon while Kimmel is on a commercial break-- I sincerely hope Priyanka got that blouse she's wearing for half price, because about half the front of it is missing ! Holy cow. I was getting a bit sleepy til I saw that !

4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Any fans of Garry Shandling, last night was Jimmy's 5th anniversary and the entire show was a tribute to The Larry Sanders Show.   It was hilarious. Entire show filmed like an episode of TLSS. 

Agreed.

Jimmy gets his share of criticism, but credit where credit is due.

• Love 7

I don't watch Jimmy that much, but I happened to catch his opening monologue on Beto O'Rourke and it was hilarious.  Jimmy got Beto's wild arm and hand movements down pat.

• Love 1

Jimmy was on Live PD tonight, well a face mask of him was. A guy was pulled I've and had 3 or 4 mannequin's in the car with him, one of them had a "picture mask" with Jimmys face on it, I laughed my a** off. He had 4-20 stenciled in his rear window.

Edited by BrianJ1962
3 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Jimmy was on Live PD tonight, well a face mask of him was. A guy was pulled I've and had 3 or 4 mannequin's in the car with him, one of them had a "picture mask" with Jimmys face on it, I laughed my a** off. He had 4-20 stenciled in his rear window.

20190428_014910-1.thumb.jpg.cd4b4b4f8af68a16a95e6e05fa13fcc8.jpg

On 5/24/2019 at 12:56 AM, catlover79 said:

. Also, what's up with the abbreviated opening?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed (and is annoyed) by this. Also, I really hate the pointless return-from-commercial-break-only-to-throw-immediately-to-another-commercial-break that they do in the middle of the show now. 

• Love 2

I also wish they'd bring back Pros & Cons. Popular Mathematics and Do Not Play/Read are always a lot of fun. There's just too much banter with Higgins. He is so painfully unfunny and annoying, he helps sink the show.

• Love 1

I also wish they'd have Questlove and Captain Kirk do another bit as Black Simon & Garfunkel. That's another one they haven't done in a long time. I'll never forget their rendition of "Can't Feel My Face", when they were joined by the real Art Garfunkel!!

• Love 1

I don't usually watch Fallon because I find him annoying, but I was channel surfing and happened to watch the opening last night.  His skit playing ventriloquist with the Timothee Chalamet puppet had me cracking up so much that I had tears in my eyes.  He was really good in that skit.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, opus said:

I also don’t think they’ve done their “signature bit” in a while, which is Thank You Notes.

They did do that this past Thursday (they were off on Friday for whatever reason). Another signature bit, Hashtags, hasn't been seen much lately. 😠

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Does anyone know why Fridays aren't new episodes? I noticed Thank you notes are on Thursday now.

Last Friday was new. This Friday is new (and live, as is the whole week). Friday reruns may be a summer thing.

Edited by opus
  • Love 1

They did bring back the regular title sequence, which is good. They need to keep Hashtags on Thursdays and Thank You Notes on Fridays, and they need to bring back Pros and Cons. Most of all, they need to cut the volume on Higgins' microphone!!

On 10/14/2019 at 10:48 PM, Axie said:

This show is a repeat most Fridays and now tonight, a Monday, it's another repeat.  What's going on?

And when you try to find out any info there is nothing.  I get articles from 2018 talking about how the show will be reruns during the summer.

But nothing current about why so many repeats and why Friday's are now repeats as well.

I think the answer for the Friday reruns is that they have been doing new, live episodes on Sundays following Sunday Night Football. I wouldn't mind if they did that sporadically, but every week during football season really messes up the rhythm. I want my Hashtags on Thursdays and Thank You Notes on Fridays!! Why they are off altogether this week, I don't know, but Seth Meyers is off as well.

I saw part of yesterday's episode but it was kind of painful to watch.  Jimmy doesn't do well just talking to the camera and it was really awkward as it seemed like he was expecting the place where the audience would laugh. I turned it off at this point, so it's possible he brought back his kids afterwards or just got better.

I am enjoying the opening sequences with Jimmy & his kids...just very casual & relaxed & then he has nice casual talks with people like Lin-Manuel & John Legend & what they are up to....last night he had his wife on(I had never seen her before, very attractive) and he asked her questions about her life & she told a story about the most romantic thing Jimmy ever did for her, and he bought her a VW Bus from her teen years.  It was cute

• Love 2

Wow, this from home show sucks. I'm not a big fan of kids in any sense and I could barely get thru the show without fast forwarding them. This is not the Tonight Show anymore, it's lets suffer thru Jimmy's kids. Terrible. 

Where is his home by the way? Probably the Hamptons I would guess. That kitchen cabinet behind him looked like crap. I totally go for shabby chic but that just looked like he found it in dump and never cleaned it.

• Love 2

At this point, they should just do repeats.  They have no problem with running them any other time.  The kids really should not be part of the show.  Plenty of shows are doing remotes by people with kids and none of their kids are climbing all over them.  It’s too annoying to watch.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Tonight we got a real treat - Jimmy and The Roots:

A treat indeed!!!  I needed the relief. It got me up on my feet dancing....of course this was one of my favorite songs as a kid and I know all the words. 

• Love 4