Type keyword(s) to search

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I feel the same about Anthony Mackie.  Man that guy's a hoot.  .  I was laughing so hard at him the other night.  Has anybody ever talked over their clip before?  "That's not me! Fast forward....FAST FORWARD!"    I bet he's even funnier off- camera and after a few beers.

• Love 1

If you can believe anything in the tabloids, it seems that Jimmy is succumbing to the pitfalls of fame.  In the past week I've read about bar fights and a twenty-something girlfriend that seems to appear with him at the bars he frequents nightly after taping the show.  Not looking good with a wife and baby at home.  I have noticed that the show's make-up people are having trouble covering the dark circles under his eyes.  I haven't missed an episode of Late Night or Tonight with him and hope he gets his act together IF the rumors are true.

The first week of the show, he was hot.  Lots of special skits during the monologue.

Now he seems to go off-script  a lot.  I like the imitations, the dancing, it's all fun but I feel like he's wasting my time.  Not as much as Higgins, but still wasting my time.

I'm not recording it anymore, I decided I prefer Seth Myers's more streamlined, economical approach to the monologue.

I LOVED Jimmy's Late Night show and enjoyed the first 2 weeks of his transition to The Tonight Show. BUT, the show seems really lame now. It feels more like a long Saturday Night Live skit of Jimmy doing a talk show. I still love it when Justin Timberlake is with him, b/c those guys are AWESOME together. The other stuff like Jimmy doing roller golf(?) with Cameron Diaz was crap. It's like he's not himself anymore. I wish he'd go back to being the Late Night Jimmy.

Also, the new set makes the show feel really small. I'm used to THE Tonight Show being a BIG production. Big stage. Big audience. Big curtain. Etc. Which added to the feeling of importance of the show. Now, it's a SMALL studio. SMALL stage. SMALL curtain. Makes it feel like Jimmy set up a desk and couch in his basement. The ROOTS has a bigger area to sit in but it lacks the personality and edgy feeling they had. Now they're sitting in a brown-taupe BLAH area.

I watched the first 2 weeks with high expectations. Lately, I've tuned in for the first few minutes and to see who'll be guesting, but turn the channel a few minutes later.

• Love 1

I'm still enjoying the show.  I love the lip-sync battles, and the Emma Stone one was fantastic.  The Diane Keaton "red wine" pong was crazy, and it was nice to be reminded last night that David Spade is funny. I loved him talking about being on with Johnny Carson, and then seeing the old clip.  It was kinda sweet, too.  He actually got a warm smile out of  Carson, and you could tell Johnny liked the kid. 

The other stuff like Jimmy doing roller golf(?) with Cameron Diaz was crap. It's like he's not himself anymore. I wish he'd go back to being the Late Night Jimmy.

Jimmy has always done games where he raced celebrities through the studio.  I don't think that's anything new or different.

I actually miss stuff like Models and Buckets.

(edited)

I think it was a big improvement over the last game he played with her when they were dancing in potato sacks or whatever it was.  The roller golf may have been dumb, but it still seemed like just an excuse to race through the studio as he likes to do, like racing Andrew Garfield on tiny bikes last night.

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Jimmy Fallon's joke about Malia Obama's first prom:

"Malia recently went to her first prom. She wore a corsage on her wrist and her date wore a red laser dot on his head"

lol.

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

i couldn't BELIEVE the way fallon practically apologized to him for making jokes! i never hated jimmy fallon before, but that made me want to vomit. the guy is under investigation as we speak, he's a corrupt bully and a comedian is apologizing to HIM? to be honest, i don't even think Jay freakin Leno would have said something like that. that was seriously gross.

i can't ever watch this show ever again. i know that sounds extreme but the ass kissing of a terrible guy like Christie is crossing the line, and it tells me everything i need to know about fallon's true colors.

I didn't see the interview. Did he apologize for joking about him in general or just the endless amount of fat jokes? Because if it's the latter then he owes the viewers an apology too. Same with the jokes about Joe Biden being childish.

(edited)

I purposefully skipped all the Christie stuff because I knew it would upset me and life's just too short.

I thought the opening last night of Jimmy and The Roots singing "Orlando" to the tune of Fernando was an example of what the show does best.

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Regarding the opener, how glorious was that? I expected a lot based on some snapshots taken by fans when they were taping it. Even so it exceeded my high expectation by a big margin I may have squealed a bit. Sadly, though, the 'Fernando' part is nowhere to be found on the net.

Edited by sum
(edited)

Thanks, GaryE. I don't have access to the service though, luckily sort of found a way.

From the cold opener to the Orlando park themed intro and Jimmy's entrance to the stage, it instantly pumped me up all over again. So great, so great! They seem working on a very tight schedule already but they should do pre-taped bits that showcase Higgins and The Roots more often. They are too good not to.

Edited by sum

The bit with Jimmy and Kevin Hart on the rollercoaster was hilarious and I loved the "Dance Avenue" sketch. I think that was Jimmy and the Roots singing that 80s dance song that's take off of "Let it Whip". 

I liked yesterday's episode. The Harry Potter bit was funny. I know that my mom probably would have got some of those but my dad won't lol. Also is it just me or Jimmy seemed generally terrified of that aligator (which I can't blame him).

I guess he thought his audience would be relatively familiar to it, as the lip-sync battle with Emma Stone was such a hit and many people talked about it along with the songs since then. To be honest, without the chorus part I wouldn't have recognized it either.

(edited)

I cracked up that The Roots played the theme to "One Day at a Time" for Kiefer Sutherland.  That was clever.

I understood the 24 reference but didn't know where the song was from until now. Indeed, that was clever.

Apparently I'm really not good at picking up these things and the show is full of them. God knows, how much I'm missing all the time. lol

@FrankKnuckles "The princess birthday girl got her wish - Thank you!! @jimmyfallon #HappyBirthdayTaiOni" pbs.twimg.com/media/BsDu4GGIgAAntAv.png  sweet and somewhat scary as well!

Edited by sum

Did anyone catch the episode with Dana Carvey? That interview was painful -- Carvey seemed so uncomfortable and resorted to the lamest impressions (Matthew McC and "alright alright alright," REALLY Dana?!?). He almost had the demeanor David Spade usually has during interviews, a weird mixture of shame and arrogance.

Whoopi Goldberg was on as the main guest one night. RIDICULOUS! She's on EVERY day on The View. Isn't she on TV enough? Why does she have to go on Jimmy's show? I hate that some of these talk show hosts go on other talk shows as if they haven't told their entire life stories multiple times by now. I know Whoopi was promoting the new movie she's in and it's probably a different audience watching at night, but that doesn't mean I have to listen to it. I turned the channel.

My son said that they passed around some pie to the audience with only one fork, and that everyone who took a bite ate off the same fork.

Really?

Yes, Whoopi brought 3 pies for Jimmy.  I guess he felt bad that there wasn't anything for the audience, so he took a whole pie to the first row, along with ONE fork.  Blech!!  (I thought it was rude of Whoopi to not bring enough for "the whole class"!!)

• Love 1
(edited)

Julia Roberts is going to be on the show next Thursday. I saw on Twitter someone surprised by it and talking about it as if it's a big deal. I looked up her IMDB page and found out she's made only one appearance on the show, it was in 1993 when Jay was the host, also has never been on any Late Night shows. Even if she's a well-known Dave loyalist and not a frequent latenight talk show visitor it certainly feels extraordinary that she's never been on either of the shows in the last 20 years. Now I'm looking forward to seeing how she interacts with Jimmy.

My first thought after the last episode, 'Make sure you stay healthy, Higbones!' 

Edited by sum
(edited)

Julia Roberts is going to be on the show next Thursday. I saw on Twitter someone surprised by it and talking about it as if it's a big deal. I looked up her IMDB page and found out she's made only one appearance on the show, it was in 1993 when Jay was the host, also has never been on any Late Night shows. Even if she's a well-known Dave loyalist and not a frequent latenight talk show visitor it certainly feels extraordinary that she's never been on either of the shows in the last 20 years. Now I'm looking forward to seeing how she interacts with Jimmy.

My first thought after the last episode, 'Make sure you stay healthy, Higbones!' 

On a somewhat related note, Julia Roberts was booked to make her Kimmel debut early this year. But she had to cancel after her half-sister committed suicide.

So she was booked three months laer, but the odd thing was she was the No. 2 guest. The No. 1 guest was Sally Field, which I sort of get but don't get.

I mean, they're both movie icons, and Roberts is more relevant than Sally.

But why book them on the same show?...perhaps to do this:

Okay, back on topic.... I read a ton of websites every day...and I've noticed that while Fallon's "viral" bits still get picked up, they don't get picked up as frequently as they used to. Maybe they're getting too repetitive.

Oh, and going back to Julia, I think some of these Dave-loyal celebrities are having to branch out, perhaps realizing that they have to find a new late-night person.

I think Fallon will probably do some Pretty Woman skit. Or something... Kimmel, who was born the same month as Roberts, also had to get through the typical Pretty Woman questions, especially since his shown is located on Holllywood Blvd.

Oh, another thing: I was surprised to see Jon Hamm was on last night's show. I haven't watched it. I read about the viral video. The episode is on my DVR.

Hamm's last appearance was just 4 months ago, March 10. Back then, he was promoting Mad Men and, I think, his new movie. What's he doing now? We're sort of in the Jon Hamm hiatus zone...

Edited by nowandlater

It does seem odd that someone can go on a show, and it feels like they're "cheating" on another show.

Even more so, some loyal fans feel the same way. It's absurd in a way but I guess it's part of the fun of these late-night entertainment business. :) In this case, judging from her comments, she was not only Dave-loyal but used to be vocal against Jay or overall NBC last-night lineup itself consequently.

I think some of these Dave-loyal celebrities are having to branch out, perhaps realizing that they have to find a new late-night person.

Good point. 

As for Jon Hamm, technically this was his first appearance on the show as a guest. He only did the photobomb skit back in March. (It happened a couple of times. ie. Johah Hill was in the "Hashtag" skit in the opening week but his official appearance as a guest was made a couple months ago.) Anyway across the board it looks like these few weeks are Emmy Awards campaign season for the nominees. I haven't checked out what each guest promote on other shows though.

Regarding Fallon's bits being less frequently posted, I think it's only natural. No matter who the host is or what kind of contents they are producing, the honeymoon period was to come to an end at some point. Especially the amount of buzz the show created in the initial months was simply unsustainable. Despite the novelty having worn off, having taken an unsynchronized and extended hiatus for the first time and being in summer season currently, to me they are holding up just fine.

(edited)

As for Jon Hamm, technically this was his first appearance on the show as a guest. He only did the photobomb skit back in March.

Exactly.  I was confused for a second because I watch regularly and knew Hamm hadn't been a guest since Jimmy started The Tonight Show.  The photo bombing bit was so minor that I completely forgot about it.  

Now James Franco, who was on last night, was making his second appearance.  I was glad to see he wasn't so sour this time.   Last time he was very snippy.  I guess he was nervous opening on Broadway.

And if you really want to talk repeat appearances, Cameron Diaz has already done three.  I'd be fine without seeing her there for a year or so.

Looking forward to Julia.

In this case, judging from her comments, she was not only Dave-loyal but used to be vocal against Jay

That's true.  It's one reason I've always liked her.   Don't forget too that she was such a Dave loyalist that she did that show while he was having heart surgery.  I thought it was very classy.

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Anyone notice the little 'inside baseball' moment from last night's (7/29) program?

After the monologue, from the desk, Fallon mentions to Higgins about a guy, by name, that dropped by the office earlier in the day and how it was nice to see him, what a good guy is and then, that was that.

The name was Rick Ludwin. Who is Rick Ludwin?

In very many ways the guy Fallon can thank for his current gig.  Ludwin just retired as VP Late Night Programming at NBC.  The guy whose fingerprints were all over the Leno/Letterman train wreck, the Leno/Conan train wreck and the Leno 10:00pm train wreck. (depending on who's spin you choose to believe).

To me it was a flashbulb moment that captured a little bit about what makes Fallon tick (or not).  There couldn't have been more than 100 people in the building that know the guy's name, let alone why it was noteworthy to mention his visit. Likely fewer watching the broadcast, yet Fallon made the mention at the top of his network program. It sure plays to the "Isn't he sweet and thoughtful" persona, but means little to anyone else watching and just served as another distraction seeing Fallon fawning over something or someone.

YMMV

BTW - The only reason I tuned in was the great joy Aubrey Plaza brings to these types of shows in confounding hosts if she's serious, seriously disturbed or seriously skilled at pulling one over on the program she's appearing on.

Edited by kib