Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Fascination

Although I probably shouldn't admit it. I like this one.  I generally like when DS9 does humor, and although this one is more farcical than most I still enjoyed it.  High points were Jake panting after Kira, "Sway with me Odo! Sway!", Keiko's horrified reaction to Quark and Dax punching Bariel.  

• Love 1

I think Bareil was actualyl tolerable in this one, so it starts with bonus points.

And I agree; DS9 absoutely had it's humourous moments (even though that wasn't it's forte.)  And it's timing in the season is perfect, to have a palate cleanser just before we hit the next two-part episode.

• Love 1

Fun episode.

When Quark was selling the pens, I thought, "Who would buy those?" Then we see that Lwaxana bought one. Lol.

Ha ha. Bareil trying to attack Sisko, and completely failing, it's funny. Sisko's reaction really makes the moment. He knows the guy is no threat, and he doesn't want to attack back. Then Dax solves the problem with ease.

This is IMO just about the worst episode of DS9 ever. Even Quark's sex change at least was at least an attempt at something interesting (even though it took a detour into really really bad) this was just bad. I found most of this more campy than funny. I feel like it takes it way too far and seeing all my smart grown adult characters acting like idiots is less funny and more plain dumb to me. Plus Troi any Troi on DS9 is a bad idea in my books.

I agree the inclusion of Lwaxana is always going to wind up in camp. Still I mostly enjoyed this one, but when Kira is opening the celebration by lighting the fire, she is speaking what I assume to be Bajoran. Which raises the question: if the universal translator is working how does she distinguish translated Bajoran from non-translated Bajoran? How do we sometimes hear Klingons using Klingon words and sometimes speaking English? Makes no sense.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree the inclusion of Lwaxana is always going to wind up in camp. Still I mostly enjoyed this one, but when Kira is opening the celebration by lighting the fire, she is speaking what I assume to be Bajoran. Which raises the question: if the universal translator is working how does she distinguish translated Bajoran from non-translated Bajoran? How do we sometimes hear Klingons using Klingon words and sometimes speaking English? Makes no sense.

This is something that bothers me in all the shows. If they are speaking their language it should always translate it. Unless there is already a common spoken language that everyone is speaking, which seems unlikely in not federation worlds. I wish that this was explained in the show.

Edited by blueray
1 hour ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

The universal translator has a built-in sensor that temporarily deactivates it whenever it senses that it would be convenient for the plot.

Ah, just like those "Drama sensors" that prevent the doors from opening when somebody wants to make a rhetorical statement before storming out!

• Love 1