Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Run

Rebecca defends ACN again as another lawsuit looms; Neal could be in trouble after a dangerous leak; Charlie and Leona confront a hostile takeover attempt by Reese's half-siblings; Sloan worries that Don has crossed an ethical line; Hallie regrets a late-night tweet; Maggie weighs the pros and cons of eavesdropping.

Holy hell, this show is fantastic. Loved every minute of it. I can't even say how great Don and Sloan are, but I will say that Sloan is definitely the winner in all things. Mac and Will screaming at each other was also awesome. So great to see Rebecca back. Oh, man, Neal. I guess he's got young and idealistic on his side, but sometimes that looks a lot like stupid.

• Love 8

Maybe if this had been season 2 we wouldn't be facing a third and final season.  This was a fantastic episode, everyone's separate scenes all dealing with telling truths and survival. And finally Neal on the run. I'm glad Hallie is gone, I need Jim and Maggie back together.  I can't wait to see where this goes. 

• Love 1

That was... fantastic! I am literally stunned by how great this episode was! Is this the same show I semi-hate watched for two seasons?

Sloan and Don are amazing together and they need to get fake married and go on a fake honeymoon together. They had me howling every time they were on screen. Sloan's fake out at the end almost had me fooled and I loved Don's horrified, "Shit!" Flawless!

I knew Neal did something about the same time Will figured it out. Neal looked way too calm while everybody was arguing over what to do. So glad Will had Neal's back and finally--finally--showed the kid respect.

Run, Neal, run.

I even like Maggie's C plot. I think I'm starting to respect the little basket case.

Man, I cannot believe The Newsroom is this good. Bring on next week!

• Love 8

I completely fell for Sloan's speech and spent a good five seconds cursing Aaron Sorkin for turning her into a lame-o girl who let a guy make her second guess her motivation and feelings. Then I cheered when she punched us all in the face.

• Love 7

In addition to getting Jane Fonda back to reprise her role as Leona Lansing, there were several other good guest stars in this episode:

Great to see Mary McCormack on TV again as the FBI agent -- another alumni from The West Wing.

After 'The Office' ended, Toby Flenderson apparently quit HR and went to work for the EPA.

Kat Dennings played the exact opposite of her 'Two Broke Girls' Max character -- a foul-mouthed heiress worth billions.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

That was... fantastic! I am literally stunned by how great this episode was! Is this the same show I semi-hate watched for two seasons?

Maybe if this had been season 2 we wouldn't be facing a third and final season.

I!  Know!

That was fun, was what that was!  Fun because it was funny where it wanted to be, and fun because it was gripping how I like to be gripped.  Whatever gave Sorkin back his lease on life and his own talent, I'm delighted to co-sign.  Let's pardon some turkeys and Kick-Start $4 billion for Atlantis. 

• Love 4

Man, Toby from The Office was the EPA guy, Jimmi Simpson as the ethics teacher (and potential love interest for Maggie?), and Mary McCormack as Mac's FBI buddy?  They sure went all out in the recognizable face department.  I'm pretty sure I also the guy playing the FBI dude in plenty of things as well.  And, of course, Kat Dennings as Blair/Reese's half sister.  I can't stomach 2 Broke Girls, but I though her brand of smugness worked perfectly for this character.

So, it sounds like ACN is going to get shutdown, unless Leona can round up $4 billion dollars in ten days, to buy the stocks herself. That ain't an easy task.  But, I'm glad this means Leona will be showing up again, because Jane Fonda is so much fun.  I really hope we get more Leona/Reese interactions especially.

Don and Sloan are simply the best.  What is interesting to me is that this could easily become annoying and obnoxious, but it somehow works for me.  Mainly because I think Sorkin does have a good handle with these particular characters and, again, Thomas Sadoski and Olivia Munn are just fantastic together.  If this series doesn't end with them officially becoming the most awesome couple on the planet, then I will really be pissed. 

I was unsure last week about the Neal stuff, but I enjoyed it tonight, due to the different stances Will and Mac took, and the pros and cons there were to revealing everything.  But, I figured Neal did something during his "bathroom break", so I'm curious to see how ACN will handle it now.  Plus, more Rebecca!  Will vs. Rebecca is awesome.

Looks like Hallie is on her way out, so will Jim start falling for Maggie, again?

Enjoying it so far.  Hope they keep it up and finish strongly.

• Love 1

Come on! A lawyer who graduated second in her class from the third best law school on the planet doesn't know that the presence of a third party breaks privilege for her client?

And the producer for a financial news programme doesn't know what insider trading is?

And corporate executives who know who their largest shareholders are, couldn't care enough to by out 2% of their outstanding shares, are now willing to fork over cash to buy 45%?????

• Love 2

Can someone explain what Neal did in the bathroom?  This was all too McGuffin-y for me.  Otherwise loved the episode. 

So much fun that Jane Fonda plays the cable news CEO--I think no one ever mentions that she was married to Ted Turner.  I love her in the part.

• Love 1

In addition to getting Jane Fonda back to reprise her role as Leona Lansing, there were several other good guest stars in this episode:

Great to see Mary McCormack on TV again as the FBI agent -- another alumni from The West Wing.

After 'The Office' ended, Toby Flenderson apparently quit HR and went to work for the EPA.

Kat Dennings played the exact opposite of her 'Two Broke Girls' Max character -- a foul-mouthed heiress worth billions.

I always like how Sorkin is loyal to folks he's worked with in the past. It as cool seeing Derrick Webster as the second FBI agent. He was Oscar Parrish on "THe Local Weather" episode of Sports Night.

Agree with everyone that Don and Sloan was just the cat's pjs. It looks like Sorkin has found a groove that was missing from last season. Even enjoyed Maggie quite a bit this season and I would welcome more of Jimmi Simpson's ethics professor on the show.

I caved and caught up this weekend. I still strongly dislike Will. 

I need Jim and Maggie back together.  I can't wait to see where this goes. 

No no no.

Maggie doesn't need to be in a relationship, or dance around one. She is doing great where she is right. She ought to focus on her career.  The show doesn't do relationships well anyhow.

Which, Don and Sloan are try hards. Their interactions scream "look at us, we are cool people" to me. Whatever.

• Love 1

And corporate executives who know who their largest shareholders are, couldn't care enough to by out 2% of their outstanding shares, are now willing to fork over cash to buy 45%?????

The way the equity structure of Atlantis was made up this would have been a tough deal. Leona held 45%; Her Husband's trust (held for the twins) held 45%; and 10% was public. As the owner and senior executive of Atlantis, Leona would have had to disclose any stock transactions. Any moves to acquire stock, not to mention 6%, would have signaled risk regarding ownership and sank the value of the company. Given the nature of the twins as lackadaisical rich kids, the thought was Leona and Reese would likely be able to keep them in line so long as Atlantis could maintain their distribution. Blair was underestimated.

• Love 1

The way the equity structure of Atlantis was made up this would have been a tough deal. Leona held 45%; Her Husband's trust (held for the twins) held 45%; and 10% was public. As the owner and senior executive of Atlantis, Leona would have had to disclose any stock transactions. Any moves to acquire stock, not to mention 6%, would have signaled risk regarding ownership and sank the value of the company. Given the nature of the twins as lackadaisical rich kids, the thought was Leona and Reese would likely be able to keep them in line so long as Atlantis could maintain their distribution. Blair was underestimated.

But didn't the companies stock already tank after Genoa?

Wouldn't that have been the perfect time to acquire the extra 6%?

Edited by Maximum Taco

I am amazed at how a show could take someone I hated so heinously like Don and make him my most favorite scene stealer ever.

I cry laughing just about every time he opens his mouth.

"I was calling a cab...."  I rewound and watched it a few times just so I could keep laughing.  He and Sloan are hilarious.  "You passed the waffles...."

And whatever the insult was that Will threw at Mack when she didn't agree with him.  I forget what it was but I died at that too.

Great show.

• Love 3

I always like how Sorkin is loyal to folks he's worked with in the past. It as cool seeing Derrick Webster as the second FBI agent. He was Oscar Parrish on "The Local Weather" episode of Sports Night.

I know he has been on Scandal, but I'm not sure if he stil is (haven't watched at all this season): would love to see Joshua Malina at least once.  And Tim Busfield too.

• Love 1

Blair was underestimated.

Which was an amazingly stupid thing to do, for billionaires. Obviously Blair hated them, they should've anticipated this or at least came up with a back up plan in case either something like this was afoot or Blair became difficult. It doesn't look like they prepared any legal or financial manoeuvres for the 45% vesting, which from their own description of Blair guaranteed chaos.

So that is it for Dev Patel in the show? That seems inadequate. Running from the authorities doesn't seem like a conclusive end for Neal, he could easily get caught if a proper manhunt was instituted.

Edited by Boundary

It sounds like he took it in the divorce. If she built the company while they were together, he may have legally been entitled to half. She got screwed, and clearly he and his new kids held a grudge.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I caved and caught up this weekend. I still strongly dislike Will. 

No no no.

Maggie doesn't need to be in a relationship, or dance around one. She is doing great where she is right. She ought to focus on her career.  The show doesn't do relationships well anyhow.

Which, Don and Sloan are try hards. Their interactions scream "look at us, we are cool people" to me. Whatever.

Honestly, for once I want to see Sorkin actually follow through with a relationship he's begun to set up. I don't think he's that good at writing any emotional connections that aren't about brotherly friendship or spiky banter, but I want to see for sure. This would be a great opportunity to tie up all his loose ends, because he knows the show is ending. I'm still sore about the way he just let characters drift away into nothingness on The West Wing (especially my favourite, Sam Seaborn), so I want something more concrete here.

I never minded Jim and Maggie, despite the fact it was way too heavy handed, and I'd like to see Maggie actually recover from the dreadful plot-related damage of season 2.

I'm one who really doesn't want to see Jim and Maggie get together. It's much more realistic that way. In life, people meet people they feel a connection with all the time and it doesn't play out, especially when they're young. Jim and Maggie aren't well suited for each other. They both need to grow up. I'd like them to grow into friends and colleagues, but don't think they need to be a couple.

Sorkin set up and followed through with both Will/Mac and Don/Sloan. Those pairings work really well. Compared to them, Jim and Maggie glaringly don't.

• Love 5

I'm one who really doesn't want to see Jim and Maggie get together. It's much more realistic that way. In life, people meet people they feel a connection with all the time and it doesn't play out, especially when they're young. Jim and Maggie aren't well suited for each other. They both need to grow up. I'd like them to grow into friends and colleagues, but don't think they need to be a couple.

Sorkin set up and followed through with both Will/Mac and Don/Sloan. Those pairings work really well. Compared to them, Jim and Maggie glaringly don't.

Nobody needs to be a couple, but I still want to see Sorkin write it. Don/Sloan was a happy accident, much like Josh/Donna (though I would dispute 'happy' there, because their relationship was boring whenever it threatened to move past 'spiky banter'). I admire so much about Sorkin as a writer, but this is his big weak spot, in my view, so I want to see if he can do it.

Nobody needs to be a couple, but I still want to see Sorkin write it. Don/Sloan was a happy accident, much like Josh/Donna (though I would dispute 'happy' there, because their relationship was boring whenever it threatened to move past 'spiky banter'). I admire so much about Sorkin as a writer, but this is his big weak spot, in my view, so I want to see if he can do it.

I didn't mean "need" like the characters need or don't need couplehood; I mean the story doesn't need it. I actually take a different view about Sorkin's writing: I think a good storyteller can tell when the story needs him to stop or move in a direction that was unplanned. Forcing an agenda can ruin great writing. I don't actually think a writer owes storylines to his fans; he just owes them to the story. So if Jim/Maggie as a couple doesn't serve the story (and I don't think it does), I admire a writer who can make that choice.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I don't know how this happened, but I really like Don. And Sloan. And the two of them together. Like, really like them. Did not expect that.

It was a great episode and I wish it had been longer. Can't wait for the next one and I am sorry the season is so short

• Love 3

Man, this episode was awesome!  I, too, wondered where this show was last season.  I think that part of it was the issues and conflicts themselves, which were more complex than just "This is what we must do because it is right!"  While there were still massive amounts of speechifying, it didn't feel as pedantic as before because multiple characters were allowed to have valid viewpoints.  The dialogues were real dialogues, not monologues vs. sputtering.  There was also humor which did not depend on a woman being an idiot.  Yay!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and pretty bummed that it's so short and at its end.  Part of me imagines Sorkin concocting a new evil genius plan to give me the finger:  make a great show and then end it prematurely.

• Love 1

I like Sloan and Don too but I agree with the assessment that we have to see them go beyond witty banter, which by the way is great to watch (great writing and great actors can sometimes produce sublime moments). But Sloan and Don need, when their relationship calls for it (in the future), to show more depth. Wit can connect two clever people but it would be nice, before the series ends, to see them connect with their hearts instead of their minds. That's harder to write very well but with the chemistry these two actors possess, it shouldn't be that hard to portray it.

• Love 5

I like Sloan and Don too but I agree with the assessment that we have to see them go beyond witty banter, which by the way is great to watch (great writing and great actors can sometimes produce sublime moments). But Sloan and Don need, when their relationship calls for it (in the future), to show more depth. Wit can connect two clever people but it would be nice, before the series ends, to see them connect with their hearts instead of their minds. That's harder to write very well but with the chemistry these two actors possess, it shouldn't be that hard to portray it.

I agree, and think they will eventually. I mean, they sort of did already within the parameters of their relationship. I think everything Sloan said was true and she knows it; she just wasn't ready to go there yet. And Don basically said something similar when he told her to let him know if she wanted to get good at not being alone. They're friends first, though, and so will probably continue to relate to each other that way.

Sorkin should have done this from the outset. His need to talk down about how news of real events should have been reported hurt the show, I think. I enjoyed last season a lot because of the fictional tales, and once reporting of the Boston marathon wasn't a big plot point in the episode, I was drawn in.

Come on! A lawyer who graduated second in her class from the third best law school on the planet doesn't know that the presence of a third party breaks privilege for her client?

I'm not a lawyer but I've been in a meeting where the company's lawyer was in the room specifically so that the conversation would be covered by attorney-client privilege.  Rebecca doesn't just represent Neal, she represents ACN.  So having multiple ACN employees in the meeting shouldn't break privilege.

Don failing the test by Sloan.  That was awesome.

I loved this episode.  Just two minor complaints.  Rebecca was right -- how the FUCK did Neal not know that you cannot ask a source to commit an illegal act for you?  And Don knows better than to act on a stock tip from Sloan.  Boo.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

So the twins are Reese's step brother and sister?

Sounds like ACN is a major company, not just a pseudo CNN, maybe more like CBS?

But 25-years olds scheming up a takeover of a major corporation?  And what was it they said about selling the cameras being worth more than the content made by the cameras?  So ACN is worth $62 billion because of the physical assets, not the continuing revenue streams?  That makes no sense, unless they own several skyscrapers, not just the one that houses their operations.

Well that escalated quickly.

I thought the FBI woman was stupid to lie in front of her colleague about when she last saw Mackenzie...and just as careless to talk to the group again while the search was beginning. If there is one thing that has bugged me about this incredibly enjoyable season so far, it is just how careless everyone has been. I mean, that Twitter post was outrageous enough, but now Neal is being a martyr and Don is committing fraud. These people are supposed to be intelligent!

• Love 2

So the twins are Reese's step brother and sister?

Sounds like ACN is a major company, not just a pseudo CNN, maybe more like CBS?

But 25-years olds scheming up a takeover of a major corporation? And what was it they said about selling the cameras being worth more than the content made by the cameras? So ACN is worth $62 billion because of the physical assets, not the continuing revenue streams? That makes no sense, unless they own several skyscrapers, not just the one that houses their operations.

ACN is just a small part of AWM, which is their parent company. The company as a whole makes money, but ACN, which is just the news division, does not. Which is why ACN's physical assets would be worth more than what it makes for AWN. As for the twins coming up on the plan on their own, I'm sure they didn't. No doubt someone at the investment firm courted them, but Blair seemed fairly intelligent even if her brother is not, she probably convinced him to go along with the plan.

• Love 2

Why is there such animosity between the twins and jane Fonda's character?

No sympathy for Hallie re the twitter post. It was outrageous and her half an hour later remorse is bizarre. She's an adult she took the time to log on and type it it's not as though she just said it and someone overheard.

• Love 3

ACN is just a small part of AWM, which is their parent company. The company as a whole makes money, but ACN, which is just the news division, does not. Which is why ACN's physical assets would be worth more than what it makes for AWN.

That's why that scene at the round table seems odd.  It seemed to be all about the news division.  Does that make any sense?  Reese is an executive of AWN, not ACN, right?  So selling off ACN just to screw with him doesn't make any sense.  Besides, Reese has never been a big, unabashed fan of ACN.  Leona seems emotionally attached to having a news network but I think Reese's feelings toward the news division have been variable at best.

I binge-watched season 2 (the last season) of "Sports Night" on Saturday (Aaron Sorkin's first show about TV).  The last 4 or 5 episodes were all about the parent company being put up for sale and fears that the 3rd-rated "Sports Night" would be canceled .  It looks like Aaron may be recycling that plot line. I wonder if it will end the same way?

Edited by WatchrTina

That's why that scene at the round table seems odd. It seemed to be all about the news division. Does that make any sense? Reese is an executive of AWN, not ACN, right? So selling off ACN just to screw with him doesn't make any sense. Besides, Reese has never been a big, unabashed fan of ACN. Leona seems emotionally attached to having a news network but I think Reese's feelings toward the news division have been variable at best.

I binge-watched season 2 (the last season) of "Sports Night" on Saturday (Aaron Sorkin's first show about TV). The last 4 or 5 episodes were all about the parent company being put up for sale and fears that the 3rd-rated "Sports Night" would be canceled . It looks like Aaron may be recycling that plot line. I wonder if it will end the same way?

You say that last bit like the business world doesn't recycle that plotline. That's such a common occurrence these days that it would be legit to see it on every show about a corporation.

AWM makes money. ACN doesn't. So Reese wouldn't be worried about the investment company liquidating the whole corporation, just the news division. That's why the conversation revolved around them. He came around to the news division at the end of last season. That's why he wouldn't fire Mac, Will, and Charlie.

I felt terrible for Hallie. That was a really stupid move, but she didn't do it to be malicious; she did it because she's young and stupid. A lot of people (especially younger ones who have grown up on the internet) don't grasp how everything you say online can have drastic, far-reaching consequences. There's no room for mistakes, which seems unfair since the nature of growing up is making mistakes. But she'd have been fired for that any company. I hope she doesn't go on to accidentally or purposely screw over ACN. I also hope it's not the end of her. I've always liked Hallie a lot.

Edited by madam magpie

I felt terrible for Hallie.

I'm reserving judgement because I'm not entirely convinced that her boyfriend was wrong in his suspicions.  Did she identify herself online to be noble and own up to her error or did she do it because no press is bad press and in the world of internet reporting being an infamous left-wing republican-basher who lost her job for her views can possibly translate into lucrative job offers.  Being an infamous right-wing democrat-basher is the basis of Ann Coulter's whole career.  The camera-ready long blonde hair similarity is there too.

BTW -- we are supposed to think it was Neal who broke into the file cabinet, right?  Or was that staged for the FBI because Will knew  they were coming?  I'm a bit confused on that point.  It seems like Rebecca would have marched right over to that cabinet with the key and gotten the flash drive after Will quipped about how easy they are to break into.  So are they going to claim Neal took the flash drive when he ran while all the while secretly reviewing its contents at an undisclosed location on yet another air locked laptop?

I think Will took the flash drive, bit I can't swear to that. Was the cabinet actually broken? I couldn't tell and wondered if it was just open. He also lied to Molly about who the source was, right? Which kind of sucks because now the FBI will go after the wrong person. Unless he takes it back, that seems to fly in the face of their ethics.

Hallie probably outed herself for both reasons, but it still feel bad for her. I never like how one tiny error in judgment can ruin someone, either in the moment or for life. But it is a lesson we all have to learn.

Sorkin should have done this from the outset. His need to talk down about how news of real events should have been reported hurt the show, I think. I enjoyed last season a lot because of the fictional tales, and once reporting of the Boston marathon wasn't a big plot point in the episode, I was drawn in.

I get what he wanted to do, with the first season. That he was pissed at the shitty way networks did cover the news in real life, and he had a vision of how brave, honest, ballsy news reporting should be done. By men! (yeah, I just think that's a bit of his own style of bravado talk, rather than sexism, but I know some people had problems with it). But the trouble is, revisiting real news events and saying, 'this is how they could have been covered better' is never going to really work like you hope, because you can never look at those events without being coloured by what really happened, and your own hindsight of them.

It's a hard line to tread, but I think Sorkin did it quite well, and his theme of people acting with perfect honour and integrity seems to be something he believes should happen. So of course they held off on reporting Gabrielle Giffords' death until they had real confirmation for or against. That's what a news network should do.

• Love 2

Why did Neil smash the drive?  I thought this was going to be about Neil and ACN cooperating with Snowden but it sounds like Neil will be the pseudo Snowden, if he's going to be on the run for most of the season.

In any event, FBI can recover the data unless he has the platter ground into dust.  So it makes no sense, unless he was just smashing the housing so he can keep the bare drive?  That makes no sense either.