Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Episode Threads...

WendyCR72

POLL CLOSED

8 members have voted

1. 1. For future "Bones" episodes, what is your preference?

• Stick with individual threads, please!
    • I'm for an All-Episodes Thread; we can discuss repeats AND new episodes (as long as we note what episode it is!)!
    • Don't care either way; knock yourself out and do what thy will!

As the episodes go forward, I have noticed less traffic per episode thread. Understandable, as the quality has been in decline. But it has come to the point where there are but a handful of responses per episode. So...

I am asking you if you think it's worth having individual episode threads going forward for S10 or if an All Episodes thread is the way to go.

So speak up in this thread, please. And thanks for your input!

• Love 1

Answering in general for Bones as well as other show boards in a similar state:

• Does it make it harder to monitor if there are separate episode threads?
  • Does it compromise server space and/or speed if there are separate episode threads?
  • Would it be okay for a moderator to create an all episode thread and then announce that creating separate threads will be optional if individual posters want to start them?

Or does that cause problems when they don't create them correctly?

• Are the reasons to change to a single thread to facilitate discussions, or to make it easier for the mods?
  • Are there other reasons to not have both (all-episodes as well as individual threads)?
My preference: If the decision is made to go to an all-episode thread on a board where there have been individual episode threads, please leave the original threads in place. It is useful when watching reruns to be able to see what others thought about them.

Once they are combined, the episode specific data is lost. It would be like taking all of the pictures out of my photo albums from the 1980s and 90s (currently arranged chronologically) and dumping them all in a box. Not too many people will ever care what my kids looked like when they were young, but pop culture does get studied.

Thanks.

• Love 1

I like having individual threads, it makes it much easier for everybody to only mention things relevant to the episode and to ensure that people don't talk about 10 different episodes at once, while making it easy to find something on these forums about particular episodes. I honestly can't think of any benefits of an all episode thread over individual ones.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2

I like having individual threads, it makes it much easier for everybody to only mention things relevant to the episode and to ensure that people don't talk about 10 different episodes at once, while making it easy to find something on these forums about particular episodes. I honestly can't think of any benefits of an all episode thread over individual ones.

Well, less waste for one. If hardly anyone posts in the individual threads, it's sort of an unused, unneeded topic. And if there is concern in an all-episodes thread, posters can simply state the date or the title of the episode they are referring to.  :-)

As it stands now, I am strongly leaning in the "All Episodes" idea, especially since there has also been little input from posters (minus those who did post, and I thank you all!) which speaks of not enough traffic to sustain individual threads. I'll give this until...Tuesday for poster opinions. With a new episode coming, it's best to have the decision in place before the show airs.

...I'll give this until...Tuesday for poster opinions. With a new episode coming, it's best to have the decision in place before the show airs.

Or, the decision could wait until after the next episode airs to 1) see if that episode will generate more posts, 2) give the posters who come to the board right after the episode a chance to see this thread and voice their opinions. Or is there a reason to do it within the week of announcement?

Regardless, even if you do decide on one thread moving forward, I think it would be good to leave the separate threads in tact. Once they are combined, they cannot be separated again.

Or, the decision could wait until after the next episode airs to 1) see if that episode will generate more posts, 2) give the posters who come to the board right after the episode a chance to see this thread and voice their opinions. Or is there a reason to do it within the week of announcement?

Regardless, even if you do decide on one thread moving forward, I think it would be good to leave the separate threads in tact. Once they are combined, they cannot be separated again.

Well, the reason this was asked to start with was the last few episode threads have had minimal activity; I don't see it changing with the next episode. If and when I do go the All Episodes route, the prior threads will be left as is, but one thread for the remaining would waste less bandwidth.

• Love 1

Another possibility could be a seasonal episode thread. Maybe just a general season 10 thread (from here on out, leaving the individual threads as is) and then a thread for past seasons?

I'm fine with an All Eps thread too as I said. To your point, it seems unlikely at this point in the show's lifecycle that posts will suddenly increase.

• Love 2

Well, less waste for one. If hardly anyone posts in the individual threads, it's sort of an unused, unneeded topic. And if there is concern in an all-episodes thread, posters can simply state the date or the title of the episode they are referring to.  :-)

Sometimes episodes are not going to be interesting or impactful enough get a whole ton of posts or if the show is decreasing in quality (which BTW I don't think it is) it doesn't mean that having individual episode threads is wasteful, it just means that the show is hitting a low point. Besides, I've seen on this forum people posting to episode threads that are weeks, months, or even years old all the time.

BTW, any chance we could get a poll or something for this?

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 1

Sometimes episodes are not going to be interesting or impactful enough get a whole ton of posts or if the show is decreasing in quality (which BTW I don't think it is) it doesn't mean that having individual episode threads is wasteful, it just means that the show is hitting a low point....

Yes, for instance, according to Wikipedia (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_(season_10)#Episodes) December 11 is an episode titled "The 200th in the 10th" directed by David Boreanz. If it's well done, it could generate a lot of posts like episodes 1 and 2 of this season did.

A problem with all-episode threads is that there is no way to avoid being spoiled for an episode you haven't already seen.

...one thread for the remaining would waste less bandwidth.

Thanks for explaining what you meant by "waste." I thought you meant something else. But I'm not sure how much band width is saved. If there is one big thread that has to load an entire page of posts every time someone clicks on it, doesn't that use more band width than clicking on a thread with just a few posts?

I thought that was the reason David insisted at the start of previously.tv that there would not be single threads for shows, but I certainly could be wrong about that being the reason. Anyway, has he changed his position on this?

Thank you WendyCR72, for giving us a chance to consider the options.

Edited by shapeshifter
BTW, any chance we could get a poll or something for this?

I actually wanted to do that to start with, but I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I still have not mastered how to set that up yet, hence this thread, asking for input.  :-)

As it looks like there is no more voting to be had, I'll go ahead and close this a half hour early and go with the small majority - for now - and keep the individual threads. At least until after the 200th episode.

That said, if activity doesn't significantly happen for that milestone episode, I may review the all-episode thread option in the future. Thanks to all who gave their opinion on the matter!

• Love 1
Another possibility could be a seasonal episode thread. Maybe just a general season 10 thread (from here on out, leaving the individual threads as is) and then a thread for past seasons?

I'm a little late on this, but I really like the idea of a seasonal thread, rather than every season lumped together. Less digging!

• Love 1