Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E06: Woody Harrelson / Kendrick Lamar

• Start Topic

I think they're either to bring in Leslie Jones as WU anchor with Colin or bring back Cecily with Michael. I don't even know what I would do to fix it. I feel like they should get rid of Colin and Michael, not bring back Cecily and try someone like Kate. Of course they would never do that because she is too great at WU characters. 

I've seen people mention Kate a couple times now, and while I agree that I wouldn't want to lose her Update characters, I'm kind of curious now to see how she would do at anchoring. In my head, it's hilarious. And, I mean, I think she's only had a WU walk-on once so far this season. If they're not gonna use her for those as much anymore, I think giving her an anchor spot would be an unorthodox but very rewarding choice.

I don't think Cecily should have lost the spot because between her and Colin, she was the better anchor. Beck hasn't had a single WU walk-on and his old AT&T character is just begging for that kind of position. I could see him and Cecily being a good team. And imo, Michael is not currently doing a good enough job to compensate for his shitty offscreen personality, which I find impossible to ignore while watching him.

• Love 4

Once again, Helenamonster, you are in my head. I think a Beck/Kate pairing is the only thing that could possibly save Weekend Update this season. Barring that, a Beck/Cecily combo might work, too.

And although it would never happen, I'd be interested in seeing what Leslie Jones could bring to the anchor chair.

• Love 2

I'll echo what some others have said - this was my favorite episode of the season. Some off the oddest things would crack me up; for some reason "My gay nose smells pot roast!" in The Dudley's was hilarious to me, as did the "Center for Doin it Correctly" line in the final sketch. "Match'd" was my favorite of the night though; just the looks on the three guys faces when Woody said Ciecily was his daughter were hilarious.

The apples sketch reminded me of the "Sparkling Apple Juice" song from the Bryan Cranston episode a few seasons ago (and I apologize for whoever will now have that song stuck in their head for the next few days).

Bobby so rarely cracks (no pun intended), and because of that, it cracked me up when he started laughing in the "Crack" sketch.

I have to say, now that we're down a few cast members as compared to last season, Kyle is making more of an impression on me (in a good way). I thought he was very funny in the Match'd sketch.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Once again, Helenamonster, you are in my head. I think a Beck/Kate pairing is the only thing that could possibly save Weekend Update this season. Barring that, a Beck/Cecily combo might work, too.

And although it would never happen, I'd be interested in seeing what Leslie Jones could bring to the anchor chair.

I'll say it again: I think Vanessa would be good in the anchor chair. I love the oddness she brings to her characters.

I never liked Cecily as an anchor, so I don't want to see her return. I'm not sure about Beck. I like him a lot, but his straight-laced AT&T character (if that's what he would use) might get boring with him just reading lines.

I don't think Cecily should have lost the spot because between her and Colin, she was the better anchor. Beck hasn't had a single WU walk-on and his old AT&T character is just begging for that kind of position. I could see him and Cecily being a good team. And imo, Michael is not currently doing a good enough job to compensate for his shitty offscreen personality, which I find impossible to ignore while watching him.

Yes!!!! ITA about Michael. I can't think about anything else when I watch on WU. I should just fast-forward his parts. Even without that issue I don't think he's doing a good job as anchor. People were very excited when we found he was going to do WU because of his work on the Daily Show, but I'm not seeing his hilarity. At all.

I think Kate and Beck could work, assuming that Kate plays it high energy and Beck plays is mid-lower level energy. There needs to be someone in the pairing that has some energy. Right now we have two guys with low energy because one is stiff and one is supposed to be laid-back (I guess?) and it doesn't work.  I've thought Vanessa might be good too. I could see her taking it in the direction of trying to parody an actual news anchor more closely. I wonder what her and Taran would be like (although again, they would never let Taran be anchor). 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

Sometimes I feel Lorne is unreasonably stubborn. His love for the stage-hoggy Kristen Wiig seemed to sacrifice every other funny woman on the show for a time, and even though I really like Kenan (and I know some of you don't), he's stuck with him for quite awhile now. But then I think of the year he fired every cast member except for Lovitz and Miller. I just think a change in WU is needed desperately, I know it used to be my favorite segment and now I dread it!

Here's a cut sketch from the episode, which I actually think was pretty funny: http://jezebel.com/snl-reveals-what-really-happens-when-you-tweet-10-000-t-1660873681?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I'm actually surprised they cut it, since Edward Norton was in it. It has to be more than a little awkward to tell a guest after dress rehearsal that you're not putting their sketch on the air, especially after they made the time to show up.

I am insanely jealous that Aidy got to kiss Edward Norton though. I'm bummed on her behalf that she didn't get to do it twice.

• Love 1

Aww, that was so sweet! The only thing missing would have been a joke at the end, after God asked Aidy how many followers she had. He could have said something like, "My son only had twelve, and look what he accomplished" or something. Obviously that's not the funniest thing but the opportunity for something in that vein was left hanging.

I love Kate as Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  I hope we get to see that impression again.  

And  with Edward Norton there, they really should have done the sketch live.  Sure, he's campaigning for an Oscar, but it also looks like he's trying for Friend of the Show status like  Jon Hamm.   I remember that they did the same thing last year to Will Forte when he was campaigning for Nebraska.  

• Love 2