Type keyword(s) to search

The Missing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finally, I was waiting for a thread on this. 

Love the series. It's tense and at times it makes me sick cause it's so awful when you relate to the charachters and their experience.

The mixed french-english setting is brilliant. 

Abduction flicks in France are kind of a classic move since the days of Frantic. 

• Love 1

I don't know. I just think that there won't be an easy endling like:

- he is still alive or he is dead

It will be really complicated. I could think of an ending where he is living with a french family and has forgotten his past.

That would suit the atmosphere of the seriesm, which is kind of dark and hopeless. 

So, I can't expect a proper happy end.

First episode airs Saturday night here, but already available via Starz OnDemand--just watched it.  Love James Nesbitt in anything.  Having binged on Happy Valley recently, I needed a good mystery to keep me occupied until The Fall comes back -- looks like I've found it. 

Edited by MyLisa
  • Love 2

Caught the premier on Audience Network (DirecTV) earlier in the week. I believe they had a one-time exclusive. Always like to see Tchéky Karyo; caught him in a showing of tounge-firmly-in-cheek The Core the other day.

I think they are already giving clues as to who the abductor is/was with a few quick cuts.

Caught the premier on Audience Network (DirecTV) earlier in the week.

So did I.  I really liked it.  (They also had me with "James Nesbitt".)  Unfortunately I don't have Starz so I'll have to wait forever to see the rest.

Edited by proserpina65

So did I.  I really liked it.  (They also had me with "James Nesbitt".)  Unfortunately I don't have Starz so I'll have to wait forever to see the rest.

Nesbitt's in another series that just started in the UK, Babylon. Written by the Peep Show guys, though much more of a drama (though still funny). The pilot, which aired a few months ago, was a mixed bag, but the first real episode was a strong start.

I think that one's airing on Sundance in the US in a few months.

• Love 3

++++++++++ SPOILER ALERT +++++++++++++++

I wanted to know what's on the stick!

It took them around 15 Minutes to show it!? I have the feeling that this turns suddenly into the usual detective story with the child kidnapping being a nice subplot. 

Yes there were the scenes with Tony and his ex, which were quite good. But I had difficulties to connect to the other people. I find it unnecessary to learn something about the private life of the french detective. In my eyes it was too much. They should concentrate more on the case itself.

The scene at the school yard was powerful. It moved me seeing Tony standing there.

Edited by Trois

I'm with the reviewer (and I was going to say this last week already) that Mark gives me the creeps and I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved.  He inserted himself into the investigation and seems like he did everything he could to turn Emily against Tony.  He was my #1 suspect since the beginning. 

• Love 2

Wow, the son of the British polish officer (played by Jason Flemyng) looked just like little Oliver.  At least, I think so.  Eh, all little kids look pretty much the same to me :) 

I'm surprised that Emily didn't blame Tony for losing little Oliver.  I'm assuming that part comes later and is the reason that their marriage breaks up.  Or it could be the drinking.  Yeah, probably the drinking.

I like how social media was used to track all appearances of the boy in the yellow scarf.  But seriously, what are the chances that a second-hand shop would keep such detailed records of their items?  Not likely, but I suppose they had to get things progressing somehow. 

At the end, before the picture on the wall was revealed, I was wondering what Tony could have possibly been looking at that would have made him react like he was.  Good job show.  They've shown that little stick figure in like all of the promos for the show (and of course they showed Oliver's drawing earlier in the show), so I immediately recognized it.

This show has some fantastic actors/actresses, and I'm really wondering if they're going to find Oliver.  I wish I could just binge-watch the entire series in one sitting!

• Love 1

I want to know what happened to Julien's leg.  I don't think they've said yet, have they?  I'm assuming that he's injured during the 2006 investigation of Oliver's disappearance.

There was a lot of flashing from present day back to 2006 in this one.  With the main characters, it's easy enough to tell which year we're in because of hairstyles, but there were a few times with side characters that I had to double-check what year it was (like with the pedophile guy).

I wonder what the heck the journalist was talking about when he threatened Emily by telling her that he'd tell the police what she and her husband had done.  Hmm.

And what's up with the wealthy guy, Ian?  Something shady is going on there, but it will probably just turn out to be a red herring.

• Love 2

Mark is definitely sketchy and while reading Sarah's take it suddenly occured to me (perhaps with the Broadchurch plot resolution coloring my imagination) that his son may very well not be his son but perhaps another trafficking victim.  I need to rewatch but wasn't the kid just put in the back of a cab with an unknown (to us) man when Mark 'got to work' in France, in 2006? 

Yeah, Julien's leg.  I didn't realize he wasn't limping in the flashbacks until SonofaBiscuit mentioned it.  And the journalist telling Emily "I know what you and Tony did."  Hmm.  In the pilot, when Emily's parents came to the hotel, the dad told Tony (paraphrasing) "sometimes the perpetrator is someone you know ....who has a grudge...do you think someone knows what we did....?" 

They have started several plots.  I wonder if the creepy construction guy procures underage boys for pedophiles.  Could be a red herring, but I think we haven't seen the last of him.  And there is the guy at the nursing home who knows Emily.  Tony apparently beat him up sometime prior to the disappearance of Oliver since Julien had that file in 2006.

MyLisa, you may be on to something in that Oliver is not really Tony or Emily's son.

The plot thickens.

Mark is definitely sketchy and while reading Sarah's take it suddenly occured to me (perhaps with the Broadchurch plot resolution coloring my imagination) that his son may very well not be his son but perhaps another trafficking victim.  I need to rewatch but wasn't the kid just put in the back of a cab with an unknown (to us) man when Mark 'got to work' in France, in 2006? 

I watched the episode twice and I don't remember any scene where a kid was put into a cab.  Can you tell me approximately where this was in the episode?

• Love 2

I'm going by 2 week old memories here... I think it was in the first episode, not the second.  It was just a couple of scenes after Emily first sees Mark and son and thinks it's Oliver.  As he starts his official business, Mark puts his son in the back of a car that drives off, with someone who is not introduced to the audience. 

Okay--I just rewatched ep. 1 and 2. It's at about the 6 minute mark of ep. 2 -- Mark puts his son in the back of a cab, with an older man (didn't reckognize him) and says "Daddy loves you" to his son and then they drive away.  Could be nothing, but then again, everything could be a clue.

Edited by MyLisa

I'm kind of sad that more people aren't watching this.   Come on people, what are your thoughts about the show?

SierraMist- I am watching. Just found it by dumb luck. I loved The Killing and The Fall, so this is right up my alley. I think it is AWESOME! I truly have no idea who took Ollie, I agree, I think Mark is involved somehow. I love how the series is slowly unraveling and we are learning more about the characters. The acting is super (hear that dopes who made Gracepoint). I don't need guns and car chases and explosions (except if Jack Bauer is involved) to love a show.

• Love 2

I'm glad more people are watching this and discussing it.  jacksgirl, you are so right about Gracepoint.  They should have stopped with Broadchurch.

I'm going by 2 week old memories here... I think it was in the first episode, not the second.  It was just a couple of scenes after Emily first sees Mark and son and thinks it's Oliver.  As he starts his official business, Mark puts his son in the back of a car that drives off, with someone who is not introduced to the audience. 

Okay--I just rewatched ep. 1 and 2. It's at about the 6 minute mark of ep. 2 -- Mark puts his son in the back of a cab, with an older man (didn't reckognize him) and says "Daddy loves you" to his son and then they drive away.  Could be nothing, but then again, everything could be a clue.

Oh, thanks.  I'll have to rewatch that. 

Edited by SierraMist

Thanks for posting this.  It was an easy scene to miss.  I watched it more closely this time and I did think the scene was a little strange.  It seemed so unnecessary to show Mark putting his son in a car before he started work.  And you're right, it may be nothing, but why take up screen time for it.

Does anyone remember a movie in the 1980's that seemed to be inspired by the Etan Patz case?  The title was "Without a Trace" and it starred Judd Hirsch and Kate Nelligan.  I hope this ends the same way, but I have my doubts that it will.  I have a feeling it's not going to be sex trafficking though, but still something nefarious with some twist at the end.  

Ken Stott and James Nesbitt are two of the dwarfs (or Dwarves per Tolkien) in "The Hobbit" movies.   I keep thinking of that when they are on screen together.

Ken Stott and James Nesbitt are two of the dwarfs (or Dwarves per Tolkien) in "The Hobbit" movies.   I keep thinking of that when they are on screen together.

Ooooooooooh, that's where I saw Ken Stott !!! I had a super case of laziness to go check it out so thank you ! It's funny indeed. 

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 1

I have no idea why I am watching this - the parents are the most unsympathetic characters ever, Mark is skeezy, I don't buy for a minute that Emily (even if she is brain washed or something) would marry a man who is the living embodiment of the worst experience of her life.  I'm tired ofTony being intense, broody and/or drunk.

I don't know how many episodes are left, but there really needs to be some forward movement ASAP.  I guess at the end of the episode we're supposed to be amazed that there is "proof" that Olly was in the house, but I was already at that point after seeing the picture. 

• Love 2

I'm a little confused about how Starz is airing this. I have my DVR set to "new episodes only", but that appears to be a week behind the On Demand schedule.

Re the show itself, I'm enjoying it mostly because it does not spoon feed the audience. I like finding myself have to work a bit to figure out if it's past or present (they are now assuming we know the characters well enough to tell) and I'll take vagueness over tireless exposition any day of the week. I'm in, all the way.

• Love 2

Sarah Bunting is so on the mark (no pun intended) with this show, right down to the probably creepy picture Ian was painting and the unbelievably ugly tops Emily is wearing in the flashbacks.  Are they supposed to make her look younger? 

I agree with mjc570 that Tony is starting to grate on me.  And having never seen James Nesbitt in anything else, I feel like he's overacting.   Emily has grated on me from the beginning. 

I'm mildly interested in the new development with Julien and his wife, but is it going to have anything to do with the main plot?  There are a lot of balls in the air right now.  Who killed the undercover agent?  What does Bourg have to do with it, if anything.  What does Ian have to do with it?  Why does the journalist keep inserting himself into the case?   I hope they aren't introducing more subplots just to fill time.

• Love 2

Tricky to talk about, being one week ahead via On Demand. 

But I think including Baptiste's personal story *is* important, as it informs his knowing how to deal with Antoine's girlfriend.  What she knows that's relevant to the kidnapping is still a mystery, however.  And Ian gone missing is yet another wrinkle.  Are we to suspect Tony, again?

Next Saturday can't come quick enough!  (Between this show and listening to Serial, my whodunnit faculties are at full capacity!)

• Love 1

SPOILER from Episode 4 and Title of Episode 5:

I really hope Ian isn't a red herring.  The writers have spent so much time weaving this man into the 2006 investigation that it would be a huge waste just to abandon him as a suspect.  He seems to have friends in high places and more money than he knows what to do with so it is likely he could be involved in just about anything and be able to cover it up since he seems to have the entire town on his payroll.  On the other hand, if he took Olly, it would have been a very risky abduction and he seems way too even keel in the days after Olly's disappearance.  

Ian is my prime suspect at this point, and I think Vincent has information that will solve this case that even Vincent may not be aware of yet.  The construction, abandoned buildings, something Ian said earlier about "making the old - new"....and then there is this:  "Molly" (Ian's missing daughter from probably decades ago) and "Olly".  Names are too similar.

I feel like maybe there are too many mysteries going on here.  What happened to Julien's leg?  How did that one officer end up in prison?  What did Emily and Tony do?  What's up with Ian and the creepy pedophile?  What's the deal with Julien's wife and this woman that's making her cry?  Why was the undercover guy killed?

Tony is like the worst at breaking into people's places.  Sure, cut yourself, leave a nice blood trail, grab a kitchen towel to stop the bleeding.  I'm sure he wasn't thinking that far ahead, but the pedophile guy could have shot him.  Stupid.

I don't think that this is going to have a happy ending.  Either Oliver is dead or his story involves something horrible, like human trafficking.  I'm half tempted to look at spoilers, but I kind of want to be surprised!

• Love 1

I agree with mcj and wonder why I'm watching this too.  It does have too many mysteries going on.  And how many of them will actually relate to Olly's disappearance.

I don't like the parents.  Tony is just too intense - I wonder how he's managed to live this last 8(?) years.  But I can't imagine being in their shoes.

Too many unlikeable characters

I think that perhaps Mark's son was going back to England with Emily's Father. He (the driver) looked like her father to me. That was all I could make of it. No mention of a Mother for the boy but perhaps Mark is divorced and the boy was being returned to Mommy.

Sarah Bunting is so on the mark (no pun intended) with this show, right down to the probably creepy picture Ian was painting and the unbelievably ugly tops Emily is wearing in the flashbacks.  Are they supposed to make her look younger? 

I agree with mjc570 that Tony is starting to grate on me.  And having never seen James Nesbitt in anything else, I feel like he's overacting.   Emily has grated on me from the beginning. 

I'm mildly interested in the new development with Julien and his wife, but is it going to have anything to do with the main plot?  There are a lot of balls in the air right now.  Who killed the undercover agent?  What does Bourg have to do with it, if anything.  What does Ian have to do with it?  Why does the journalist keep inserting himself into the case?   I hope they aren't introducing more subplots just to fill time.

That journalist is creepy! I hope we get to find out what his story is. He was so angry when his story was pulled about Bourg being the perp. And in Episode "Pray for Me" when he tells Emily that he "knows what they did!" I thought he was just scaring her as though he was accusing them of harming Ollie.

I don't buy for a minute that Emily (even if she is brain washed or something) would marry a man who is the living embodiment of the worst experience of her life.  

Wouldn't Tony be the living embodiment of the worst experience of her life?   Ergo why she divorces him?   He didn't keep an eye on Olly.

On the other hand, Mark really hasn't done much of anything yet in terms of the investigation.  He doesn't speak French, really, so he's kinda useless.  He just sits around the police station in 2006 looking at photos of Emily.  He's just kinda a blank canvas Emily can project whatever she wants, onto.  

• Love 2

One issue I have with the trafficking angle...  if it was really happening in the area, wouldn't there have been other missing children in the area?  Also, did we ever hear where Tony and family were heading when the car broke down?  Unless someone intentionally wanted the car to stall, they wouldn't have been in Chalons du Bois in the first place.  Perhaps Tony really is involved, and he did something because of the phone call he got?  (It was just the battery, after all...)  Hmmm...  I don't really believe Tony would be so intent on trying to find Olly if he actually knows anything about how he disappeared in the first place, but it could all be due to plot manipulation...