Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: He Has A Wife

How the hell did Wes and Lila make it this far along in life, let alone being accepted to college/law school, given that they are both too dumb to live?

In Lila's case, it's mentioned in the first episode that her parents own a billion dollar tech corp. She's seems like a sheltered rich girl who parents could buy her way into and out of anything.

This site put together a chronological video and timeline of all the events. It may prove insignificant, but there is a gap of time/place between the the initial killing of Sam and the removal of the body. Connor, Michaela and Laurel all hide in the woods while Wes carts Rebecca off to a motel. Wes then swings back by the house to grab the trophy. No one is with the body during this time. I wonder if Annalise (or someone else) discovers the body during this time gap, and this is a card to be played later.

Another thing is that the scales are clearly missing off the trophy when Wes brings it to the woods. In fact, they're missing even when the trophy is lying in the bloodpool next to Sam's head, meaning their probably somewhere, bloodstained, in the house. I'm surprised none of the characters have yet noticed except... not really.

• Love 1

There is nothing wrong with a prenup, however Michaela's mother in law acted like she at a bowl of bitch before speaking to Michaela. I'd be pretty upset if anybody who spoke to me in that tone. So what Michaela didn't come from money. I'm sure mother in law wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth either, as she said they started with one store and now are multinational.

As for the trophy, Michaela won the case for Anna but Anna was so hung up on the Sam drama, she couldn't focus. She would have lost that case if it hadn't been for Michaela, so the trophy should have gone to her.

Exactly, there is nothing wrong with the prenup. If Michaela (who as a budding lawyer knows first hand the benefit of a pre-nup, what if Aiden's family loses their money and she becomes a multimillionaire, I doubt she'd be all share and share alike then) is marrying for love why not sign it? Now my perceptions may be off because we only had the one episode with the fiancé, but I don't see Michaela as the victim. Was the character Lynn Whitfield played a characature? Sure, but her OTT does not change that Michaela's motivation could be legitimately questioned. Moreover, we don't know what predates what we saw. Perhaps Michaela gave her future mother in law cause to feel and react as she does.

As for the trophy, Michaela negated her claim to it when she stole it. If she truly believed it would be given to her, she could have waited until the following day. As a future lawyer, she knows full well what constitutes theft and what she did was steal. I think Asher is a useless tool, but until such time as Annalise instructed him to turn it over to .Michaela, the trophy was his and Michaela had no tight to it. Do you think she would feel differently where she in Asher's shoes. Michaela may very well be a good and deserving person, but that doesn't mean she was right in this instance.

In addition, as a future lawyer, Michaela should know that behavior is factored in to determine guilt. If she truly believed the trophy would be given to her, she could have gone to Asher, said, Annalise said it goes to me because of STD Nanny, and if Asher cared to dispute it, they could go to Annalise together. The fact that she went to Asher's under false pretenses and absconded with the trophy while he was out of the room demonstrates that in her own mind she knew she was doing something wrong.

Edited by Happytobehere

But I think with Michaela stealing the trophy, the reason she felt entitled to it is because if Annalise's personal life wasn't hanging by a thread, she'd probably be paying enough attention to her interns to realize that Michaela deserved the trophy, since her putting five and seven together basically won them the case. I'm not saying Michaela should have stolen it because that's a dick move (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the scene where she did), but I can understand her frustration and motivation. She is the shooting star, after all. YMMV.

If you begin your marriage by preparing for the end, the marriage is likely doomed.
I dunno, I see prenups as being like car insurance. Do you buy car insurance because you expect to get into accident? (Well, other than it being legally required, that is.) No, you get it just in case. Prenups are just in case, IMO.

Committing to marriage is nothing like buying car insurance, and "just in case"  doesn't work in a marriage because it implies a lack of trust.  Long-term marriages require a tremendous amount of  trust and committment. There's a reason that studies show that over 50% of most marriages in the US fail.  For a marriage to endure till death, the parties involved have to have earned a level of trust and committment necessary for both parties to fully commit.   A "just in case" mindset tells me that the level of trust and committment needed to endure just isn't there.

I'm not sure why, but the phrasing "he has a wife" bothered me when Lila was talking to Rebecca. "He's married" would have landed better on my ears, I think. Maybe it was meant to sound slightly off, since Lila was a bit of a mess and probably tries to speak in a way that ends up making her sound pretentious. The use of "he has a wife" begs the response "Well, if he had a husband, he probably wouldn't be interested in a sorority girl."

How are legal outlines different from any other notes, and why are they so precious?  The students seem obsessed with finding other people's outlines.  Can't they just write their own damn notes?  Then again, I'm in education, but for a subject that doesn't focus on rote memorization.

It's been A LONG time since I was a One-L but outlines are more than just notes. They represent a synthesis of the entire subject matter studied. The most coveted ones would be ones prepared by Law Review members from previous years - or prepared by someone who stands out as someone who clearly has a strong grip on the subject matter. When it comes to the Final (and first year grades are determined solely by the final - at least when I was in law school), it is the outline that one crams into one's brain during the final run up to the exam - and the outlines are typically quite long.

Other than that, this show bears even less resemblance to law school than I think cop, medical or other "career" shows do to their respective fields. 

Are there actual statistics on how many marriages break up that had pre-nups vs how many that break up didn't? Seems like the sort of thing that someone must have studied. Otherwise, we're all just spitballing. Either way, though, what I've been asking myself is: why did they insert this plot point, and what does it have to do with the central drama of the show? Is it just to develop Michaela's backstory and characterization? Or is it moving the events along in some way, too? I think she more frequently than the other interns comes across as desperate and anxious (about studying, about being exploited, about the cover up)-- and I thought, whether it was gutsy or mercenary or both, her scene in the restaurant also made her look desperate, rather than poised and empowered. I say this even though I have no opinion about whether or not a pre-nup is a bad idea or just fine in this case. It seemed, just from the look on the actress's face, that she was losing her cool, not acting out of self-possession. So were we supposed to see it as her life spiraling out of control, or in some way leading up to the future events that Michaela's coming unhinged? Or was it just a moment unrelated? Again, I don't have an opinion, but it seemed like the camera really focused on her face there, and it wasn't just a throwaway moment from the actress, but part of the direction.

Rebecca has never been presented as anything but mean and shady so I look at everything she says and does, even last night to her so-called friends, with distrust.

I really didn't buy those scenes with and Rebecca being all BFFS.  Rebecca was just Lila's dealer, and had a closer relationship with Griffen.

I still say that this show has lot of dead weight.

There'll be even more after the next episode!  LOL

I would keep:

Annalise

Michaela

Conner 

Asher

Bonnie 

and drop:

Lauren (boring)

Frank (ditto)

Wes (idiotic)

Rebecca (unlikable)

Elizabeth Perkins’ character from an earlier episode (Annalise could use a good female friendship.  Plus, her outrageousness could occasionally lighten the mood on this otherwise downer of a show)

Yes, YES, YES!!!!

I think there is a reason that Annalise chose Wes and Wes mentioned his mother.  His mother committed suicide and I have made a mental leap that the suicide had something to do with Sam.

I've got it!  Sam bashed himself with the trophy frame Anna and traumatize Wes!  It's obvious when you think about it.

• Love 1
Committing to marriage is nothing like buying car insurance

I wasn't suggesting that it was. I said prenups were like car insurance. IMO, committing to marriage and having a prenup are not mutually exclusive.

A "just in case" mindset tells me that the level of trust and committment needed to endure just isn't there.

Marriages have failed without prenups and marriages have lasted with them. I don't think prenups are the problem, I think an inability to predict the future is. I'm not sure people--which may include parties beyond just the married couple--should necessarily have to suffer or benefit financially because things don't work out as expected, hoped for, promised, or sworn before God.

Long-term marriages require a tremendous amount of  trust and committment.

Or perhaps simply a willingness to stay married in spite of unanticipated infidelity, abuse, lack of/diminishing of mutual love and respect, etc.

I think there is a reason that Annalise chose Wes and Wes mentioned his mother.

Yep. It's still my theory that Sam is Wes' father and Annalise knows it. I don't think Sam knows but Wes might.

• Love 2

Either way, though, what I've been asking myself is: why did they insert this plot point, and what does it have to do with the central drama of the show? Is it just to develop Michaela's backstory and characterization? Or is it moving the events along in some way, too? I think she more frequently than the other interns comes across as desperate and anxious (about studying, about being exploited, about the cover up)-- and I thought, whether it was gutsy or mercenary or both, her scene in the restaurant also made her look desperate, rather than poised and empowered. I say this even though I have no opinion about whether or not a pre-nup is a bad idea or just fine in this case. It seemed, just from the look on the actress's face, that she was losing her cool, not acting out of self-possession. So were we supposed to see it as her life spiraling out of control, or in some way leading up to the future events that Michaela's coming unhinged? Or was it just a moment unrelated? Again, I don't have an opinion, but it seemed like the camera really focused on her face there, and it wasn't just a throwaway moment from the actress, but part of the direction.

I think it probably serves a dual purpose. 1) For Michaela's backstory/characterization outside of the law school stuff. 2) To contribute to her falling apart after Sam's murder. I mean, she's had a tense night. She had a nasty confrontation with her fiance's mother, and she's worried about exams. She's also been characterized as tightly-wound (the shooting star), and I think the more stressed out of a person someone is on a daily basis, the more likely they are to absolutely lose it during a crisis, like a murder. Also, the whole wedding/fiance thing gave her an engagement ring to be lost, which will likely turn into a huge plot point. Not only will she have to figure out a way to explain to Aiden what happened to it, but we also still don't know whether she lost it in the woods or at Annalise's house.

• Love 2
As a future lawyer, she knows full well what constitutes theft and what she did was steal. I think Asher is a useless tool, but until such time as Annalise instructed him to turn it over to .Michaela, the trophy was his and Michaela had no tight to it. Do you think she would feel differently where she in Asher's shoes. Michaela may very well be a good and deserving person, but that doesn't mean she was right in this instance.

In addition, as a future lawyer, Michaela should know that behavior is factored in to determine guilt. If she truly believed the trophy would be given to her, she could have gone to Asher, said, Annalise said it goes to me because of STD Nanny, and if Asher cared to dispute it, they could go to Annalise together.

She definitely should be smart enough to know it qualifies as theft; however, her argument wouldn't need to be "Annalise says it goes to me because..." nor would she have been thinking "Annalise is about to give it to me." What I thought I heard Annalise say was "don't you already have it", ie, she lost track of who she even gave it to, and why, and apparently thought M was doing a bang up job. I mean, I realize A wasn't in an excellent state of mind at the time, but I can see how M's reaction (in the midst of another chaotic spiral) was what it was. The issue wasn't just "she said I deserve it because of the most recent case", it was that A seemed to already think she'd awarded it to M, which then gets distorted into "it should already be mine, I'll just go get it." Clearly not using lawyer brain in that moment. Using selfish shooting star brain. Losing it a little even before anything murdery happened.

I think Bonnie worships Annalise, but is not in love with her.  Sleeping with Annalise's husband was a way to be more like Annalise, to insinuate herself in to Annalise's life, to manufacture some intimacy (in her head) where there was none.  That's why Bonnie eventually came clean to Annalise instead of keeping Sam's secrets - she wants Annalise's approval above all else. 

Why do so many characters on this show make out with people they shouldn't be making out with right in the open on Annalise's porch?

Maybe it's a magical love grotto and they just can't help themselves?

If you begin your marriage by preparing for the end, the marriage is likely doomed.

Theoretically, I agree.  But the reality is that you can't predict the future, and things do happen that make staying together intolerable.  And in that case, if you have a huge fortune, you want to protect it.  If you're the poorer of the two in a non-communal asset jurisdiction, a pre-nup can ensure that you don't get screwed over in the event of a divorce.  Pre-nups also often include things like non-disclosure clauses, which can be very important to people to whom reputation matters, like celebrities or major business people or high-profile lawyers.  For most of us, it doesn't matter; but if you have a major asset (huge inheritance, public image, whatever) that you feel the need to protect, a prenup is smart.  And if you're convinced the marriage will be forever, why does it matter if you sign a pre-nup?  They just need to be well-written to protect *both* parties.  That said, the blindside was shit-tay.

My theory on who killed Sam: there was some sort of struggle at the house, maybe involving Bonnie or Rebecca, and he was hit on the head in an act of self-defense, or maybe even aggression.  The others were there working in another room, or showed up shortly after, and they all freaked out and did the absolute worst thing they could do.  Or, they showed up to a dead Sam and thought Annalise did it, and so were trying to protect her.  But the latter doesn't really work considering the Annalise call to Bonnie of "Is he there???", although it was weird that Annalise seemed to be freaking out about the missing rug.  

Edited by Turtle

I've got it!  Sam bashed himself with the trophy frame Anna and traumatize Wes!  It's obvious when you think about it.

but: why would they all be so absolutely patrified? if it would "just" be a suicide they could have called the police - they were enough unrelated witnesses to be reliable. in addition: I would be soooooooooooo disappointed if this is the clue. On the other hand: It can't be that Rebecca is the only repsonsible for this murder - the others (instead of Wes) would have no qualms about handing her over. But: They actually would not care or stick together if someone else would be the responsible. So also no one else makes sense. It has to be Annalise who is directly involved - they would not be so loyal in any other case.

And who is Lilas murder? Is it definite that it was Sam?

Am I the only one soooooooo absolutely in love with Connor? How he's moaning about losing Oliver is more than cute. His storyline is my favorite.

And I do not understand why all this cheaters pretend to be so hurt themselves. First Annalise and now Lauren. She is cheating on her adorable boyfriend and now sniveling because of Franks gf? pff ...

And another question: Is there definitely a second season? I really ask myself how they will keep up the suspense when this whole chaos is illuminated. I'm afraid it could remain with a mini series. What do you think?

And another question: Is there definitely a second season? I really ask myself how they will keep up the suspense when this whole chaos is illuminated. I'm afraid it could remain with a mini series. What do you think?

I think they may go the route of True Detective or American Horror Story where each season is pretty much a self-contained mini-series. I think some characters like Annalise will carry over but I doubt all of the students or her staff will.

• Love 1

My theory on who killed Sam: there was some sort of struggle at the house, maybe involving Bonnie or Rebecca, and he was hit on the head in an act of self-defense, or maybe even aggression.  The others were there working in another room, or showed up shortly after, and they all freaked out and did the absolute worst thing they could do.  Or, they showed up to a dead Sam and thought Annalise did it, and so were trying to protect her.  But the latter doesn't really work considering the Annalise call to Bonnie of "Is he there???", although it was weird that Annalise seemed to be freaking out about the missing rug.

It's going to be hard for them to come up with a scenario where it makes sense for all of these people to want to cover up the crime. Maybe if they hadn't spent a season showing that Annalise can get almost anyone off. I'm curious to see what they attempt, but I'm not expecting it to hold up to scrutiny.

• Love 3

I think they may go the route of True Detective or American Horror Story where each season is pretty much a self-contained mini-series. I think some characters like Annalise will carry over but I doubt all of the students or her staff will.

Or they make the mistake of going the Desperate Housewives route. They had a really good mystery the first season and the show was a huge hit. Then they tried to dig up other nysteries using essentially the same cast with a few additions and just kept getting progressively worse. So, hopefull, yes, they go the self contained mini series route. 

At least we know Sam won't be back.  

The episode was pretty good, even if Lila just came across as a vacuous airhead in the flashbacks. She managed to make Rebecca look good by comparison.

Annalise got on my nerves with the way she treated both Connor and Bonnie in this episode, especially with the latter.

Actually felt bad for Bonnie for most of this episode. She didn't deserve to be fired either.

Loved and hated Michaela stealing the trophy off Asher. Her future mother in law seems like a right dragon too.

Wes, just stop being so whiny and self righteous already.

Connor's idea of study group, well, it seems consistent for him I guess.

Laurel got pissed Frank has a girlfriend. Er, she's cheating on her own boyfriend.

The sleepwalking mother and nanny case was interesting enough too, 8/10

• Love 1