Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Do You Remember The First Time?

When the past comes back to haunt her, Elena is forced to face her problems head on. After a night out at the annual Whitmore Medical Center Fundraiser, Jo opens up to Alaric about her own tragic past. Meanwhile, Stefan, Matt and Enzo resort to extreme measures when Tripp withholds information about his vampire-killing operation, and Caroline is in a race against the clock when Sheriff Forbes gets caught in the middle of a dangerous plan. Elsewhere, Tyler and Liv grow closer, and Damon stumbles upon a startling clue that renews his hope.

I was annoyed by Damon's sudden "you're better off without me" speech because I felt like it was just postponing the inevitable - and it probably is, but I love it for giving him free time to find Bonnie. 

I wanted to scream "THANK YOU GOD!" When he saw the teddy bear and realized that Bonnie was still alive. We'll at least have a few episodes without Delena angst. I say that as someone who's Team Delena, I'm just not Team Angst.

I'm excited to have Damon head up the search for Bonnie. I'm sure Alaric's lady love will get involved. I wonder if she'll try to stop them or maybe she'll decide she wants revenge on her brother and we'll help bring them back so she can kill him herself?

I was really happy to see that Elena tried the crossing the border method of un-compulsion and I'm even happier that it didn't work. I want her to have her memories back, but I don't want an automatic reset either. I think there's a very good chance that crossing into Mystic Falls unlocked something and her memories will begin to creep back over time.

• Love 5

I was really happy to see that Elena tried the crossing the border method of un-compulsion and I'm even happier that it didn't work.

I think it did work; I think she got all the memories back. I think Elena asking Damon what happened when it started to rain was to test him and his selflessness, which is what first made her fall in love with him.

I can't believe I'm watching this show again. But I do appreciate Paul Wesley's Stefan's healthy amount of apathy. Not sure what's acting at this point. To me, that as entertaining as anything else on this show.

• Love 3

Well done Enzo. He yet again shows he has the flair for great deaths. First doorknob now vampire magic boundary.

I thought Plec did a good job giving all those Delena rainkiss shippers a good moment. It was well done. And kudos for making it Damon's favorite memory.

Still don't care for Jo nor Liam and think neither has chemistry with their respective "love interests".

Bonnie was excellent with Kia. Well played. Can't wait to see the plan to get her back.

Why does Jo dislike Damon? He is actually being quit nice and pretty normal. Since she's never met him before her instant dislike for his is even more a turn off it just makes her seem all the more a heartless bitch. If anything b/c Alaric cares so much for him and Elena loved him so much she couldn't live without him it seems more reasonable she'd be intriged by him not such a bitch.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 3

Well, Elena basically reverted immediately to her Season 5 self, memories or no, so I don't understand what the point of any of this is. What a boring reset. Now we have to waste more time on them than we would if they were just back together already. Ugh.

On the other hand, at least Damon will be off finding Bonnie for a minute. So I can hold onto this show for another few episodes at least.

I'm so...sad and disappointed at how they just botched this Steroline thing though. I'm glad Caroline's continuing to shut him out, but wow, that reveal and those scenes should have had a way stronger emotional impact.

And I love Stefan, but I really don't get why the writers are taking this approach right now. Asking Caroline why she had a thing for him? Are you serious? That's your response? And you're supposed to be truly sorry for the way you treated her? Are you sorry for the way you're currently treating her, or...? Man, his groveling sentence just got way longer.

I was annoyed by Damon's sudden "you're better off without me" speech because I felt like it was just postponing the inevitable - and it probably is, but I love it for giving him free time to find Bonnie. 

I wanted to scream "THANK YOU GOD!" When he saw the teddy bear and realized that Bonnie was still alive. We'll at least have a few episodes without Delena angst. I say that as someone who's Team Delena, I'm just not Team Angst.

I'm excited to have Damon head up the search for Bonnie. I'm sure Alaric's lady love will get involved. I wonder if she'll try to stop them or maybe she'll decide she wants revenge on her brother and we'll help bring them back so she can kill him herself?

I was really happy to see that Elena tried the crossing the border method of un-compulsion and I'm even happier that it didn't work. I want her to have her memories back, but I don't want an automatic reset either. I think there's a very good chance that crossing into Mystic Falls unlocked something and her memories will begin to creep back over time.

Damon giving up did feel like it came out of nowhere, especially because Elena had barely tried to undo the compulsion. I get that Damon was freaked out by her drowning again, but Jo literally managed to save Alaric last week from a perforated aorta. Elena drowned. Even Matt knows CPR. Plus if they had actually had Elena undo the compulsion and reset to human, that would have shown Damon to be far more selfless. But whatever. I'm glad that the show didn't wait half a dozen episodes to remember Bonnie and Bamon.

I think I'm going to have to tap out on this show again. It is just so awful. I don't care to watch Damon and Elena falling in love again or deeper in love. I just don't care.

That guy in the Eclipse Universe is chewing the scenery. He is so over the top!

Enzo is a dick. From what I hear, he has come by his dickishness honestly, but I just kind of hate him. I don't get why this show needed another hyper-violent and arrogant asshole.

and Damon stumbles upon a startling clue that renews his hope.

I was afraid that Damon's "hope" would deal with getting Elena back.  Now I see that his hope is Bonnie-centric. The two seconds of Bamon saved the ep for me.  I loved how he hugged Miss Snuggles to his chest and looked happy that Bon Bon is still alive.  In other news, Bonnie needs to use her brain.  If she brought back Kai, chances are he wouldn't be invulnerable in the real world.  She counts four, FOUR, vampires as her friends and has allied with Luke and Liz.  Are you telling me that Bonnie can't ask any of the above to kill Kai once he is in 2012?  She just needs to get back and sic all her friends on him.  I bet Damon and Enzo can kill him as a team effort! 

I am sorry to see Colin Ferguson go, but I suppose Tripp had to die.  Matt looks like he is questioning his loyalties this season.  With any luck he will finally get a storyline this year.  Glad Liz lived to see another day. Stefan is so lying about not knowing that Carolyn liked him.  How could he not know?  Good to see everyone was right about Jo being Kai's spleen-challenged sister.

Elena and Delena can get off my screen now. Are we Delena - haters in the minority?  I am sure the ship has its fans, and I was one back in season one, but I can't wrap my mind around current viewers actually being entertained by her selfishness and his grovelling.  Blech!

Edited by Goldmoon

I was bored out of my mind for most of this episode, but I did like some parts. Obviously everything to do with Bonnie and Kai. I love that Bonnie outsmarted Kai and that she didn't fall for his text book superficial charm. I hope we see more of them because I think the snark will be epic.

And the teddy bear! Damon seeing the teddy bear! Damon caring Bonnie is alive! About fucking time, Show!

I'm glad they didn't kill Sheriff Forbes and I really hope Matt gets a storyline that doesn't lead to his death.

Alaric and witchdoctor are kind of cute together.

That's about it. The rest was ho hum or agonizingly boring. Still don't care about Tyler or the blonde witch or her brother, don't care about Delena, like, at all. Barely care about Caroline and Stefan and hated Enzo killing the awesomely named Tripp Fell, even though I admit it was smart.

This show breaks my heart.

That's right, Damon.  She's alive.  Go get her.

Damon will now walk away and find Bonnie.  Delena is effectively gone for at least a few episodes.  I'm a Delena supporter so....I hope they do eventually make it back to each other.

I like how they are approaching the Caroline/Stefan thing in that he doesn't know if he feels the same way.  It's a refreshing change from the "I've always loved you" intensity from Damon and Elena.  It's also nice to see Paul and Candice have a lot of chemistry.

Enzo, while an asshole, is the smartest one of the bunch.  Would've never expected he turn Tripp Fell into a vampire.

No Jeremy this episode....Thank God.

• Love 1

Kai is unapologetic psycho and I totally love that. I liked Enzo not caring about his kills. He always gets revenge on those who torture him. And, LMAO at him getting offended when Caroline called him Stefan's sidekick. LOL

I love all the Delena stuff and  I am glad it is on hold for now. So glad we got a rain kiss <3!

Enjoyed the Boman/Bonnie stuff. Can't wait until Bonnie comes back and then I want her to stop sacrificing herself for these people. She deserves better. 

Actually liked this episode quite a bit... though that may have something to do with multitasking and not paying that much attention when the people I find boring were on screen -like the wonder twins and the whole party scene.  

I don't really have a ship in this race, so the Delena stuff was kind of dull for me as well, but I did like the conversations between Caroline and Stefen. I wasn't sure if Stefen was trying to figure out why someone would like him- like he's having one of those "I'm horrible, why would anybody like me" sort of personal crisis or if he's just admitting fully to himself that even though he was grieving for Damon, he was acting like a dick to someone who had been there for him... Their will they won't they actually kind of interests me, so I guess that's good.

Don't care about Liam... and honestly, don't care that much about Elena. I do agree that I'm glad she tried the magic border thing to undo the compulsion, I agree that I think it will be working slowly... While I'm grateful from the Damon/Elena romance break in Damon's little "I'm no good for you, you're better off without me" deal, I'm not a fan of this 'noble sacrifice' thing... though probably mostly because I'm still a little bitter about a similar but far more permanent relationship ending "I love you but I'm bad for you, so I have to let you go" thing on another vampire show who will not be named...

Loved that Damon found the bonbear at the end... I'd much rather spend a good part of the season with him working to rescue Bonnie (though, now he's going to have to admit that he knows where she is, right? Or will he try and do it himself?) instead of pining away over Elena.

Good call to the posters last week who guessed that Jo was Kai's family... obviously, she's going to get pulled into the Bonnie rescue story somewhere...

• Love 2

Good job Enzo, smart move turning the vampire hunter so he couldn't cross the line. 

Delena zzzzz angst I can do without. 

Interested in the witch family. Jo has to be related to the other 2. 

Jo's intense thirst for Alaric's dick is starting to grate.  I hope she's running some long con otherwise her characterization is just flat.  It seems Liv and Luke still have a mission to complete from their coven.  I wonder what it is?  Bonnie is so badass.

• Love 4

Well, this episode actually made me aww for DE. That is an amazing feat considering the last two years. That flashback scene was kind of adorable. Also, I don't know what it is but IS is playing Damon in a much more frothy way this year. I actually enjoy Damon again.

Love that Damon's going after Bonnie. Poor girl needs he pal. She really is stuck in a scary movie.

Glad Trip died. I like that Matt is questioning his allegiance. He never made sense as someone on the vamps' side. Vampires completely ruined his life. He should hate them, not be their bitch.

I didn't expect the Caroline/Stefan stuff tonight. I'm one of the people who wouldn't mind seeing them be romantic, but I really hope it's still a long way off because Stefan looked this side of bored in his scenes tonight. I'd like to wait until he's actually engaged before he goes there with Caro.

Love Enzo, what little we saw him. He actually says what he thinks, does what he wants, no fucking around. He's kinda awesome. Plus, it's nice to know even vampires have problems with their touchscreens.

And Jo is definitely Kai' sister. I'll wait to see if I get sick of Kai. Right now I'm not but TVD has a habit of overusing good villains to the point they're just irritating.

Other than that, not a bad episode. Not the best this year, but for me the reintroduction of DE has not dampened this season's run. Hope it continues.

Edited by Moo

The best thing about Tripp Fell was his hilarious name. I was surprised that when Tripp reminded Matt that his vampire friends kill people, Stefan didn't speak up to tell him that he managed to live on bunny blood for decades.

Part of me is glad that the writers didn't give Delena any of the easy ways out (having Alaric uncompel Elena, having Elena walk across the border remove all the compulsion, having a dance with Damon bring back all of her memories) but the other part of me is now dreading how long they will drag this out before they just let them inevitably get back together.

Damon's little martyr speech was too similar to his "I don't deserve you" speech from however many seasons ago, and it seemed to come out of nowhere. In the short time that he's been back from the dead, he has been running after Elena, calling her his girlfriend, and doing everything possible to mark her as his territory, but then out of the blue he decided to just give up? This coming from the same guy who spent 200 years waiting to get Katherine back? But I'm just glad that this means Damon has time to get Bonnie back now. 

• Love 1

Why does Jo dislike Damon? He is actually being quit nice and pretty normal. Since she's never met him before her instant dislike for his is even more a turn off it just makes her seem all the more a heartless bitch. If anything b/c Alaric cares so much for him and Elena loved him so much she couldn't live without him it seems more reasonable she'd be intriged by him not such a bitch.

It's pretty common for people to dislike Damon on first meet, especially if they have no sexual interest in them. He's kind of intrusive and a lot of annoying. He can be entertaining to watch, but people like him in real life are the woooooorst. If I was trying go out on a date with someone and his random friend showed up to stalk his girlfriend (and my student), I'd be side-eyeing the hell out of him too. Like what kind of person.....?

I don't understand, how did Bonnie get the bear out? If she could get the bear out, why couldn't she just get herself out?

Thank you Enzo, I was sick of Tripp.

I didn't understand that either. Even if she put her magic into the bear....they all were still touching and she was holding the mcguffin.

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
  • Love 1

I'm like seriously over Damon and Elena. I guess I'll give her minor props for attempting to cross the town border and uncompel herself but still, I'm tired of Delena. And whoever here mentioned that Liam is Scott Hope v.2.0 is spot on, there's just no chemistry there that I see between him and Elena.

Damn you, Enzo, for killing the awesomely named Tripp Fell. (shakes fist) I'll admit he did it in a smart way but more importantly for me is that Matt continues to seemingly question his allegiance to the vampires. I'm hoping that will continue to be a running theme for the character and that the show runners don't ruin it.

Loved Caroline continuing to freeze Stefan out, I used to be a shipper for those two but now think they wouldn't work for reasons. I'm so glad that Liz continues to be there as a parent for Caroline but also as just a living parent since so many main characters' parents are either dead or just away (Matt's mother).

And I assume Jo's explanation to Alaric re: her missing spleen confirms she's Kai's sister? He keeps grating my nerves, I really don't want him to piggyback on Bonnie's return to the real world unless Jo is there when they reappear and she guts him.

And finally, Damon and the bear. I'm glad that Bonnie used her beloved teddy to send a message to Damon. I've never really been a shipper for those two (I loved how Bonnie never liked him since the second she saw him back in season 1) but I do like their recent friendship and hope he does everything he can to bring her back.

• Love 1

I liked the episode and I'm actually liking Season 6 more than I thought I would.  I'm done picking every tiny thing apart - I'm just enjoying the show.

My only issue is Elena.  I can not stand her.  I have shipped Delena since forever but OMG, I wish it had been Damon who was compelled to forget Elena!  I just want him with anyone else!  IMO, they could not make Elena any more self-centered and horrible if they tried!  I was pleasantly surprised that she went for it and crossed the Mystic Falls border to try to end the compulsion but that was the only thing she did that didn't make me want her to just die already.

I'm getting used to the Steroline idea, I'm liking them together so far.  Love Enzo.  Glad Tripp is gone.  And, I can't believe I'm even saying this, but it was awesome to see Bonnie!  I can't wait to see the rescue begin!

• Love 1

Well, bye Tripp! I won't miss him too much, but I was quite surprised that they dispatched him with not a lot of fanfare. It was a bit "oh look, he died. Onwards with our day!" I'm guessing there'll be some sort of reprisal for it, but it makes me wonder about Enzo's role in this season, though. So far he's kind of been a substitute-Damon, in the same way he was a substitute-Alaric (in the 'Damon's friend' capacity) last season. Now that Damon is back and presumably not chasing after Elena, he'll resume the bad-boy vampire role - so where does Enzo fit in? I like Enzo, but he needs to feel a bit more distinct, and hopefully the writers will do that.

Part of me is glad that the writers didn't give Delena any of the easy ways out (having Alaric uncompel Elena, having Elena walk across the border remove all the compulsion, having a dance with Damon bring back all of her memories) but the other part of me is now dreading how long they will drag this out before they just let them inevitably get back together.

That's exactly how I felt; I kept expecting them to take an easy route to Elena getting her memories back, but I'm glad they didn't take them. But yes, now we have the long process of Elena falling in love with him again, and for someone who's never been a shipper (of any pairing), it becomes a little tedious waiting for something to happen that you know is going to occur eventually. I have exactly the same thing with Steroline too - I tend to watch the scenes thinking "oh, just kiss and get on with it," which then makes me feel bad because the actors do such a great job.

I don't understand, how did Bonnie get the bear out? If she could get the bear out, why couldn't she just get herself out?

That's a really good point! I'm glad she did though, and now Ms. Cuddles is out in the present day, I'm looking forward to the Bonnie rescue mission. I aww'd a little at Damon giving the bear a hug. Though when Bonnie killed Kai, she really should've locked him in a room/tied him to a tree/dumped him down a well to slow him down a little.

Jo's intense thirst for Alaric's dick is starting to grate.  I hope she's running some long con otherwise her characterization is just flat. 

I'd still love it to turn out that Jo's evil. I don't even know why, except that it would be a twist, and a miserable Alaric is kind of fun. Though she seemed pretty quick to point out that she's not willing to attempt saving any more vampires that may fling themselves over the border, even though I'm sure at least a few of our gang would be able to be saved? (Elena, Caroline?)

The two seconds of Bamon saved the ep for me.  I loved how he hugged Miss Snuggles to his chest and looked happy that Bon Bon is still alive.

Ian is certainly putting his everything into Bamon, that Teddy Hug was LOVE. Hee I could just see Damon's thought process I left Bonnie behind in 1994 with a Hell Witch, for NOTHING, I'm getting my Badass, Brave Bon Bon back.

Damon giving up did feel like it came out of nowhere,

It did along with another bout of retconning, how when she became a vampire he was sad she couldn't have the life she wanted. I was there Plec that is UTTER bullshit. He embraced the fuck out of her being a vampire and was constantly trying to turn her or convince her turn for YEARS. Fuck off Show.

Do we know what Coven Liz and Luke are from? I'm assuming if we don't know, they are Gemini, after that exchange about the coven calling them "back", and the reveal that Jo is Kai's spleenless sister.

Of course one week after saying Tripp was a great adversary, nice and human sized they kill him off. I can see that Matt is getting torn up about this though, and Enzo killing Tripp might make him done with his friends for at least a bit. That also had the effect of *really* ruining Enzo for Caroline, and I'd so prefer she was with him than Stefan. I hope the show is for real and does want to forget all about her falling for him. Meh.

• Love 1

I love that happy smile Damon gave as he picked up and hug Bonnie's bear!  Yeah, Damon!  It's time to get Bonnie back!

Bonnie/Kai scenes were intense.  I love how she didn't believe for one second that phoney baloney story that Kai has changed and no longer have homicidal tendencies.  On the other hand, the actor that plays Kai is kinda cute and he does a good job being a charming pschopath.  I wouldn't mind having Kai around a little longer.  I think Jo has some connection to Kai.  This should prove interesting.

I think Elena is going to start remembering her love for Damon bit by bit.  I mean she got a big shock when she tried to cross the border to Mystic Falls and I think that it may have jogged her memory.  I don't understand why Damon just gave up on Elena like that.  It was too weird of a twist in this storyline for my taste.  But hey, if Damon doesn't have Elena around to give him distractions, then he can go save Bonnie!

Stefan and Caroline scenes were just gorgeous.  So Caroline admits to Stefan that she may be in love with him but she still hates him for what he's done to her.  Stefan is finally getting a clue!  I think this will probably make him go after Caroline now.  Steroline!  Steroline!  Steroline!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Tripp Fell is dead already?  Boy, this "villain" didn't last many episodes at all!  This must mean there is a greater villain out there.  I was moved by Matt's heartbroken look over Tripp's body.  I think Matt did genuinely like Tripp.  No one else did, it seems.

• Love 2

I will say one thing for Damon's little martyr speech, it was nice to see him get even a little bit pissed about the fact that she chose to compel him away.  I was waiting for that and finally someone pointed a finger at Elena for being a self absorbed bitch.  Even if she seemed to fly right past it, it was nice to hear.

And methinks Matt is about to go vampire hunter or continue Tripp's work.  He was crying a little too hard when he died.  Although I don't really understand why....but whatever I guess.

• Love 2
It did along with another bout of retconning, how when she became a vampire he was sad she couldn't have the life she wanted. I was there Plec that is UTTER bullshit. He embraced the fuck out of her being a vampire and was constantly trying to turn her or convince her turn for YEARS. Fuck off Show.

I was watching 4x01 recently and actually, this is one of the few times I think the writers' memory of the show was accurate. When Stefan saved Matt causing Elena to die, Damon was pretty damn pissed about it. Back in S2 he cared way less about it and actively tried to turn her at one point, but it ended up being one of the few times we saw Damon actually change his mind due to Elena's influence - he ended up wanting her to live cause she wanted to live or something. So yeah, I don't think that's a retcon.

• Love 3

I really didn't understand Stefan this episode. He is typically very people-savvy. "Why did you like me?" was not how he operates. What does he expect her to say?

I love that the show's writers acknowledge the audience isn't dumb. Listing Damon's crimes going back to killing Vickie and "using Caroline as a bloodbag" (too bad he didn't also mention "sex toy"). And having them deal with the questions of whether anyone else could get un-vampired, or just use the Mystic Falls border as a reset. And acknowledging the Jo-Kai connection instead of dragging it out. Good stuff.

Man, nothing will keep these people from a party! Yeah, you just died of a nicked aorta and came back, but let's go to the weekly Vampire Diaries fete! 

Kai is like Christian Bale and Paul Rudd somehow had an adorable, murderous baby together.

• Love 11

I was watching 4x01 recently and actually, this is one of the few times I think the writers' memory of the show was accurate. When Stefan saved Matt causing Elena to die, Damon was pretty damn pissed about it. Back in S2 he cared way less about it and actively tried to turn her at one point, but it ended up being one of the few times we saw Damon actually change his mind due to Elena's influence - he ended up wanting her to live cause she wanted to live or something. So yeah, I don't think that's a retcon.

Yep.  I also wouldn't say he "embraced" her being a vampire at all.  Stefan was running around trying to coddle her and make her feel better about the situation whereas Damon accepted the inevitable and chose instead to teach her how to handle herself.  He definitely wasn't happy about it considering he almost killed Matt over it and spent quite a few episodes being pissed at Matt about it.  But from where I sat he knew there was squat he could do about it so he decided to do what he could to help her through it. 

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 1

Wouldn't Tripp Fell (heehee) have known that Enzo turned him into a vampire?  Why wouldn't he have said something before they shoved him across the border?  Unless maybe he now detested what he was becoming so he was willing to die.

Also, since everything resets in 1994 purgatory wouldn't Bonnie's wound have healed and the ascendant repaired itself?  Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this.  

Glad that Damon's got Ms. Cuddles to hold onto until he gets Bon-Bon back.  I really hope they don't drag out Damon and Elena getting back together or if they do they will stop the 'I'm bad for you / You're happier without me / I love you enough to let you go' speeches.  I'd like to see them get back together, but don't want all the lead-up angst.  

Caroline and Stefan?  Eh, they've been cute together in some scenes in the past, but I don't really care if they become a couple or not.

I'm glad Sheriff Forbes is okay but thought for sure something was going to happen to her before the gang got her back safe and sound, like maybe Tripp's team would shoot her right before she crossed the border.

• Love 1

No matter how hard this show tries I’m just never going to care about Damon and Elena. I did however feel for Damon in this episode I think I’m at the point now where I don’t get why he cares about her so much. I was so happy when he called her out on erasing her memories of him and that he wouldn’t let her risk her life to get her memories back. He can be a real jerk sometimes but he is selfless when it comes to the people he cares about. The only good thing about the “rain kiss” was Tom Odell’s “Another Love” playing because that song is amazing and one of my favorites. Loved when he found Ms. Cuddles and clutched her, he better make every effort to bring his new bestie Bon Bon back!

Seriously loving Enzo, he’s such a sh*t stirrer! He also has a flare for the dramatic death huh? I was also shocked when he just flat out revealed to Stefan that Caroline has a thing for him. I know Caroline probably hates him for it but I think he did it for her own good because Stefan is the most oblivious person/vampire on the planet. Also show please don’t turn this into the new love triangle, I like single totally crazy Enzo.

Jo is still pretty awesome and I liked the way they revealed she was Kai’s sister. Her and Alaric have a nice little thing going on.

The Bonnie/Kai stuff was frightening and fascinating. Bonnie is a much more strong willed person than I because I would just take the psycho back with me and let the murderous vampires I’m friends with deal with him. Does Kai realize where she sent the bear though?

Stefan and Caroline have been my favorite thing all season and this was the episode where it all came flooding to the surface. I liked how Caroline was throwing so much shade at Stefan this episode and he was just kinda taking it because he knew he deserved it. He also wasn’t going to leave her side if he thought her life was in potential danger no matter how much she hated him. I loved when he tried to get Liz to help him with Caroline and she’s like nope, Mom-Code. Caroline’s speech to Stefan is one of the most honest speeches anyone has ever given on this show, and it’s one people can relate to (at least I can). I still don’t get how Stefan didn’t realize she has feelings for him but I feel like he didn’t understand how someone like her could like him. He’s pretty self-loathing and to him Caroline is “pretty much” perfect so it makes sense. He didn’t deny that he had feelings for her too though, I think it’s just like he said he’s been such a mess since Damon’s death he didn’t know what he felt. I am so here for this.

• Love 2

Man, nothing will keep these people from a party! Yeah, you just died of a nicked aorta and came back, but let's go to the weekly Vampire Diaries fete! 

Got to love that Alaric almost died of an injury to his heart, and still chose alcohol over painkillers.

• Love 2

When Stefan saved Matt causing Elena to die, Damon was pretty damn pissed about it.

He was pissed because he thought Elena was dead FOREVER. As soon as he found out she was vamped he was so thrilled to have her back he didn't give shit if it meant she was something she never wanted to be and openly condescended to her about how she had to feed immediately and shouldn't be looking for a magical way out of being a vampire. And yes he was constantly trying to turn her so he could selfishly never lose her. And again Elena CHOSE to die, and as usual fucking Damon would  have disrespected her wishes. UGH.

Right, and when Damon tried to kill Matt, it was because Elena hadn't had any human blood, so he thought she wasn't going to turn. He was mad because he thought Elena was going to die, and blamed Matt for being alive instead. That's when Elena came flying out of that barn and stopped him from killing Matt. On the actual show, he never expressed any sense of upset that she was a vampire, and why should he? It's what he wanted to happen. Any statements to the contrary ring false to me.

But I appreciate the growth he's showing now, even as transparent a ploy as it is on the writers' behalf to make Elena fall in love with him all over again because he's so selfless now, etc. I don't really care, because he was on a growth trajectory for awhile there, and then they just called it to a halt in order to keep him "fun" and "evil." Instead of making him grow, they made Elena get worse.

The bummer about this episode from an Elena perspective is that it seems like instead of making her continue the changes she's made in the first few episodes, they're just going to revert to S4/5 Elena, who is the actual WORST. It means that once again, all she is is Damon's Most Favorite Dolly. She only exists as a reward for him. Don't do this, show. Just make her shrug and move on with trying to have a real life, and be a good person, and when she gets her memories back, she can reevaluate.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2
Also, since everything resets in 1994 purgatory wouldn't Bonnie's wound have healed and the ascendant repaired itself?  Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this.

Wondered that myself. I think they were going for 'Bonnie's running from the psycho and trying to escape asap rather than be trapped with him'.

Boy did THAT backfire.

Caroline and Stefan?  Eh, they've been cute together in some scenes in the past, but I don't really care if they become a couple or not.

She's cutely enamored of him, but not the reverse. I really liked the chemistry of Stefan and Elena together last week.  Guess that ship has sailed, too bad.

I wonder why Elena didn't just tell him she erased her memories because she was almost killing people? It wasn't just because she was super sad and didn't want to feel super sad anymore. I mean, I think the whole memory erasure thing is crazy dumb to start with, but at least explain it to him.

On an unrelated matter, I hope Damon carries that teddy bear around for the rest of the series. Like, every scene he's in, the bear is under his arm, and he never tells anybody why. Even after Bonnie (presumably) comes back, he just has that bear, because the context-free gifs of him dramatically holding that thing are the best.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 3

I will say one thing for Damon's little martyr speech, it was nice to see him get even a little bit pissed about the fact that she chose to compel him away.  I was waiting for that and finally someone pointed a finger at Elena for being a self absorbed bitch.  Even if she seemed to fly right past it, it was nice to hear.

And methinks Matt is about to go vampire hunter or continue Tripp's work.  He was crying a little too hard when he died.  Although I don't really understand why....but whatever I guess.

I wonder if Matt is really going to end up being this season's bad guy... his vampire 'friends' have put him through a lot... and he doesn't have much of a purpose... so for him to turn on them would be quite a twist, and it would come from a real place not just some magic "i made you want to kill all vampires" kind of of thing.

But I don't know if the show will actually go there...

I've been thinking about Stefan and his attitude towards Caroline, and I agree it's coming from a place of self-loathing. But also I've been thinking -- his "true love" (or one of them anyway) ditched him for his brother about two years ago. Since then, despite this show's reputation for romantic Musical Chairs, Stefan has had what; some encounters with Rebekah and a short-lived fling with Ivy, that was never supposed to get serious? And despite everyone assuming she would jump back into Stefan's arms (that was back when everyone thought it was the sire-bond keeping her with Damon), Elena shows no interest in rekindling the relationship. Does she even remember why he broke up with her? Without the whole, "you're in love with my brother and I can't deal with that anymore", why would Elena and Stefan have broken up when they did?

Overall, I'm thinking that Stefan is still suffering from a massive blow to his ego, romance-wise, and he didn't exactly love himself from the beginning. He obviously considers Caroline to be the best there is of vampires right now, so I can see why he'd never even presume to think he was worthy of her.

In any case, I have a feeling that Stefan is going to be instrumental in bringing back Bonnie. He is, after all, the only one Damon told about what really happened, plus it was stated that he did get in contact with the Gemini coven when he was searching to bring back Damon and Bonnie himself. That was a dead end (I mean, would they even know that Kai's prison suddenly got some new inmates?), but at least Stefan knows where to find them. And if Stefan brings back Bonnie, I'm pretty sure that will be the moment Caroline completely stops hating him.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 2

Shockingly loving this season.  After the meh of last year, I'm a little surprised.

I like Jo and I like her and Alaric (always love Alaric, so that's not changed).  Her connection to Kai (and the whole Gemini coven thing) will be the interesting plot this year and I'm interested to see it.  I DO NOT want Jo to be evil... or die... please.  Otherwise Jeremy and Ric are going to need a support group, not Jo and Ric.  Too many dead/evil wives/girlfriends.  Give the guy a break!

LOVED the Damon and Alaric scene at the beginning.  I was craving a nice friend scene since last week failed in that area.  It was cute, Damon 'playing Dr' and pushing buttons and unhooking Ric's wires.  LOL  And good on the writer's for acknowledging Damon's unsavory past.  We the viewers know its there, talking around it would be worthless and wouldn't ring true at all.

While I, previously, couldn't wait for caroline and Stefan to get together, why is Stefan being so dumb this year?  Its not just the absolutely bored looks PW is throwing out, its also how he's being written.  I don't get it.  This should be a GREAT time for his character now that he's in a good place with Elena, Damon is back, he's not ripping people's throats out... I don't understand his character's complete lack of insight (and the pure boredom he's portraying in every scene).

I like Kai.  I am loving Bonnie (which is new for me- she's never been a favorite for me).  

Loving Damon (nothing new there) but I really, really hope we get less faux drama (you deserve better, blah blah) and that he continues to be this 'new' Damon.  Liking his character development.  Last season pissed me off, what with the writers pulling Damon back to season 1/2 mode just to serve the plot.  Totally uncharacteristic of where he was at that point in time and just made him and Elena look foolish.  ugh, I'm apparantly not over it  :)  

I've never felt real strongly about Elena one way or another.  She doesn't grate on my nerves as some people here have expressed, and I get where she's at right now and I think she's playing it honestly and true to what her character has knowledge of.  I love that she *wanted* to find answers (and that they didn't go too far with Damon trying to force memories that weren't there), and her throwing herself across the border to try and remember was great too.  I can see how this back and forth will get obnoxious since we all know its heading to her getting her memories back eventually, so I hope it doesn't drag out.

LOVE Damon finding the bear and hugging it.  I cannot wait for him to go on mission: find Bonnie.  Though I keep picturing him running to the group, holding the stuffed bear, and trying to convince everyone the bear means that Bonnie is alive... in 1994.  He might get some funny looks.
I've never once cared about Bonnie and Damon (other than liking their banter and the weird respect thing between them, sometimes), but their friendship this season has been awesome and I like that we'll get to see him planning a way to save her.  I also like that it will give memory-challenged Elena a way to see Damon in action, being the hero, without him pursuing her.  
I assume she won't get her memories back until Bonnie is back to help her...?  Or, as others have mentioned here, that the memories are creeping in, probably not all of them, but enough to keep her wanting more.

For the first time in awhile, I'm interested again!  Don't screw it up, TVD...

Edited by GeekGirlnb
  • Love 1

I've been thinking about Stefan and his attitude towards Caroline, and I agree it's coming from a place of self-loathing. But also I've been thinking -- his "true love" (or one of them anyway) ditched him for his brother about two years ago. Since then, despite this show's reputation for romantic Musical Chairs, Stefan has had what; some encounters with Rebekah and a short-lived fling with Ivy, that was never supposed to get serious? And despite everyone assuming she would jump back into Stefan's arms (that was back when everyone thought it was the sire-bond keeping her with Damon), Elena shows no interest in rekindling the relationship. Does she even remember why he broke up with her? Without the whole, "you're in love with my brother and I can't deal with that anymore", why would Elena and Stefan have broken up when they did?

Overall, I'm thinking that Stefan is still suffering from a massive blow to his ego, romance-wise, and he didn't exactly love himself from the beginning. He obviously considers Caroline to be the best there is of vampires right now, so I can see why he'd never even presume to think he was worthy of her.

In any case, I have a feeling that Stefan is going to be instrumental in bringing back Bonnie. He is, after all, the only one Damon told about what really happened, plus it was stated that he did get in contact with the Gemini coven when he was searching to bring back Damon and Bonnie himself. That was a dead end (I mean, would they even know that Kai's prison suddenly got some new inmates?), but at least Stefan knows where to find them. And if Stefan brings back Bonnie, I'm pretty sure that will be the moment Caroline completely stops hating him.

Taking this to the Stefan thread to respond...

And despite everyone assuming she would jump back into Stefan's arms (that was back when everyone thought it was the sire-bond keeping her with Damon), Elena shows no interest in rekindling the relationship. Does she even remember why he broke up with her? Without the whole, "you're in love with my brother and I can't deal with that anymore", why would Elena and Stefan have broken up when they did?

Maybe they never got back together after he was focused on getting revenge on Klaus. Stefan did have some episodes where he came pretty close to killing her.

Does she even remember why he broke up with her? Without the whole, "you're in love with my brother and I can't deal with that anymore", why would Elena and Stefan have broken up when they did?

I have been wondering the same thing actually.  Especially after the episode where they were having fun together at the bar.  I just hate the whole Delena thing anyway so I let it go because none of this triangle makes sense to me. Except that Ian is hot. I totally get that.  Otherwise I guess I'm a Stelena person but I haven't really liked Elena in a few seasons so maybe I'm more on the Stefan/Damon brother train I guess.

And for the first time in...ever...I liked Bonnie when she wasn't in a scene with Damon. Very much excited for the Damon/Bon Bon reunion.

Maybe they never got back together after he was focused on getting revenge on Klaus. Stefan did have some episodes where he came pretty close to killing her.

Well I think it was just one time, but Wickery Bridge was a big deal rift that never completely healed between them and then all that Stefan character assassinating business where he kept the Vampire cure from her, while he worked to get it for her was, making Jeremy kill vampires and all that shitty behavior was more than enough reason for Stelena to break up. But no they had to involve that disgutsing, contrived horrible sire bond. Ugh what a gross nightmare.

• Love 1

Well I think it was just one time, but Wickery Bridge was a big deal rift that never completely healed between them and then all that Stefan character assassinating business where he kept the Vampire cure from her, while he worked to get it for her was, making Jeremy kill vampires and all that shitty behavior was more than enough reason for Stelena to break up. But no they had to involve that disgutsing, contrived horrible sire bond. Ugh what a gross nightmare.

Yeah, that works, too.  I guess I have no problem with whatever her brain cooked up to explain why she and Stefan decided to break up, as long as the show doesn't try to convince me that watching Elena date one brother while giving the other longing looks is compelling television.

I'm annoyed enough as it is--even though I like the idea of Damon and Elena in theory--that we're apparently having yet another set of episodes where Damon and Elena stare piningly at each other while at least one of them is involved with someone else.

That stopped being interesting and compelling some seasons back.  Just decide if they're a couple or not, and come up with a new storyline.  One that doesn't involved "We're separated but give each other longing looks because of our true, yet forbidden, love."  Please.

LOVE Damon finding the bear and hugging it.  I cannot wait for him to go on mission: find Bonnie.  Though I keep picturing him running to the group, holding the stuffed bear, and trying to convince everyone the bear means that Bonnie is alive... in 1994.  He might get some funny looks.

I've never once cared about Bonnie and Damon (other than liking their banter and the weird respect thing between them, sometimes), but their friendship this season has been awesome and I like that we'll get to see him planning a way to save her.  I also like that it will give memory-challenged Elena a way to see Damon in action, being the hero, without him pursuing her.  

I assume she won't get her memories back until Bonnie is back to help her...?  Or, as others have mentioned here, that the memories are creeping in, probably not all of them, but enough to keep her wanting more.

I agree I like Damon and Bonnie's friendship but I've never cared much about them before. It will be nice for Damon to go full on hero mode for someone not his brother or Elena.

Is it just me or have Damon and Stefan kind of switched roles a little? Stefan seems much darker and Damon much more the hero.