Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Episode 7

if you don't want help doing your crossword, why ask a random backpacker about Hungary's capital.

Because you really, really need to fill in seven down because it will clue in about eight other answers, and the backpacker was the only human within eyesight. When one is stonewalled, one usually does ask for help. Besides, the backpacker was needed for the storyline, so there's that.

• Love 1

They were from R. Tyler, D. Noble, and Martha Jones :D (Martha Jones' "message" was regarding Sally Sparrow.)

This is over my head. Explain, please? And thank you!

Rose Tyler, Donna Noble and Martha Jones were all companions of David Tennant's Tenth Doctor.  Sally Sparrow was a character in one of the best Doctor Who episodes called Blink.  Too bad this show is not one tenth as interesting as Doctor Who.  

• Love 1

This is over my head. Explain, please? And thank you!

Somewhere there is a really cold storage room, and probably not in the teeny tiny town of Gracepoint. Maybe Dany's in Vince's freezer, inside his locked garage?

Chris Chibnall tweeted a picture of what he said were real phone message slips on Det. Carver's desk. They were from R. Tyler, D. Noble, and Martha Jones :D (Martha Jones' "message" was regarding Sally Sparrow.)

This is a nod to David Tennant's most famous role: The Tenth incarnation of the Doctor in Doctor Who. Rose Tyler, Donna Noble, and Martha Jones were his companions for the duration of his tenure. Sally Sparrow was the main guest character of one of the most well-known episodes, "Blink," featuring the Weeping Angels (the first episode for those critters). Sparrow was played by a yet-unknown Carey Mulligan.

Rose's message is regarding a "wolf." This is a bit of a joke towards the Bad Wolf plot that was actually during the Ninth Doctor incarnation.

I can't quite make out the last word of Donna's "message."

The picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2VOGHhIcAAU32K.jpg

It's a nice little Easter egg in-joke for Tennant/Doctor Who fans that isn't obnoxious.

• Love 1

Did I miss something or has it not been established what the connection is between Vince and Susan?  Besides both being shady as hell?  They must be related.

I dunno.  I think I disagree with those posters who think we should be getting answers and eliminating suspects.  3 more hours is a lot of time.  I think I'd rather keep the suspect pool large for at least one more hour and have the finale be one with breakneck pacing and a jawdropping reveal.  A filler episode like this may be frustrating to watch, but perhaps we are getting subtle clues that will become clear by the finale.  I kind of like changing my mind from week to week as to who I think dunnit.  Last week I was guessing creepy Vince, this week I'm back to creepy Paul, but I'm starting to think maybe Tom did it.  The kid is certainly working on his Junior Creep badge.

It's one thing to have a filler episode, but an entire filler season?  Miss Marple was well-written.  The writing for Gracepoint is on the level of monkeys throwing random globs of feces around the room.

It kind of pissed me off the way Paul and other townies were blaming Carver for Jack's suicide.  Certainly the police could have done more to protect him but it was Jack's supposed friends and neighbors, people who had known him for years, who hounded him to his death, not the out of town detective who was limited as to what he could say regarding Jack's past arrest.

Seriously.  Those townies are such hypocrites.  "Why couldn't you protect him better when we were vandalizing his house and chasing him down with pitchforks and torches."  Ugh.  I hate everyone.  No wonder the Miller boy wanted to run away from this hellhole.

Even the Doctor can't save this horrible show.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Regarding the library I think - reference to "Silence in the Library."

I notice Rose's is the only one that says "would like to meet." :(

I knnnnnooooooooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!! :(

I've been rewatching the RTD seasons of Doctor Who and I just can't bring myself to watch Doomsday again because holy shit Rose and Ten's goodbye is so upsetting.

Edited by Automne
  • Love 1

I am even more suspicious of Paul the Creeper Priest after his and Mark's walk in the woods.  He says something similar to "let's walk this way"...and lo and behold, basically walks right to location of the bike! Like he knew exactly where it was, and he wanted someone with him when he "found" it.

In a similar vein to those wondering how many cops there are in this small town police department, I wonder where all the media has come from. We only know of the very small paper with a very small staff, yet that press conference the Chief gave was packed! Everyone in town was irritated at the SF Globe girl (rightfully so), but where did all the rest of these people come from and, other than paparrazi-type photo ops, why does no one seem to care? 

• Love 2

One thing that has been driving me nuts is that Beth has been drinking on multiple occasions since finding out she was pregnant. I suppose, it could be a passive aggressive attempt to kill the child because she 1) may not want it and 2) is in too much grief to think clearly anyway (especially because Mark told her that she has to have it). I do an entire section on teratogens in the embryo and fetal stage for my classes that I teach and research shows us that there is no known safe amount, especially in the early stages like this. So many developing systems could be at risk. I don't know if it is sloppy writing, or a purposeful thing on the part of the character. I know that I always notice it and I cannot remember in the original if that were the case. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 2

If Beth has the baby and it has profound developmental issues or other issues, that would just be the worst thing to heap on this family, because she may have caused it via her actions.

Having a disabled child is not the worst thing that can happen to a person, although I don't think people should do things that are unhealthy. The conversation should not be about the possibility of a disability because it is offensive to people who are disabled for whatever reason. Their lives is worth living.

As for how much she is drinking, I have not noticed. There is a lot of cultural facts involved. I did not grow up in the US and having something to drink, occasionally, was never a big deal in many other places, still isn't. The science behind it, I don't know. 

• Love 1

Having a disabled child is not the worst thing that can happen to a person, although I don't think people should do things that are unhealthy. The conversation should not be about the possibility of a disability because it is offensive to people who are disabled for whatever reason. Their lives is worth living.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean offense in the way you illustrated it.  I didn't think that I implied that the baby shouldn't live IF he/she has issues or that having a disabled child is the worst thing in the world, but more that she might be causing developmental issues that might not occur were it not for HER actions. As a character on the show, I think that she doesn't appear to want the baby and perhaps her actions are purposeful and indicative of that, but she is also in a profound state of grief and likely depressed and just found out her husband is cheating on her. I am uncertain that she could make a really good decision about much right now. 

I have edited the original for clarity. 

• Love 1

riverheightsnancy, I get your intentions. I am sorry if it was too blunt. It is just that referring to the possible birth of a disabled child as something undesirable implies the undesirability of disabilities (as in this is the worst thing ever). I do understand that nobody wants to actively make someone disabled. But most people don't really understand how "normal" a disabled life can be if there is more understanding and acceptance. So I say what I said as disclaimer - sometimes I mess up on how I say it. It would be better if the medical community (not you, but the whole culture) would say that pregnant women should not drink because it can cause serious health problems for the fetus/child, and left the disability fear out of it. it is subtle, but it makes a difference, subliminally. 

there are so many "wrongful births" lawsuits that are dismissive of a disabled life, plus the new trend that allows parents to kill their newborn chid if they are disabled (so far, in Belgium, spreading to some other countries), and the endless excuses for (parents) murderers of disabled people, blamed on how much of a "burden" they are.

Sorry about the rant. I am around disabled people, and disabilities rights activists 24/7 and I am very sensitive to such things

Thanks for thinking it over though. 

• Love 1

I'm also bothered that Beth has been seen drinking a glass of wine at different times.  I was wondering if anyone else was bothered by this.  Maybe it is okay, but I do know that consuming too much alcohol can cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I would rather error on the side of caution than possibly contribute to something that could harm my fetus.  I do know my mom drank and smoked during each of her pregnancies, and my siblings and I all turned out fine.  

• Love 1

This is not to endorse drinking while pregnant, but when I was pregnant in the 60's no one thought that much about it.  I was never much of a drinker but I probably had a dozen drinks or so during the nine months of pregnancy.  What is probably worse is that I think I smoked the entire time.  My son, who is now 48, is perfectly normal.  And it seems to me that children born these days (when people are so careful not to even have drink) have a lot more problems, like asthma, for example. 

• Love 1

At this point the biggest mystery to me is if Carver will still be alive by the end of the show.

I think we can eliminate any of the Solanos as the murderer.  Ditto the woman and young guy who work at the newspaper.  Jack wasn't it, and I doubt it was Chole's boyfriend either.   Who else is there?  Elly - no.  Creepy Vince & creepier Susan?  Maybe, but probably too obvious.   Vulture out-of-town newspaper woman. Nah.   Psychic Guy - doubtful.  

I've got my eyes on Tom, Elly's husband Whatsisname, Joe?  and Creepy Priest Paul.  Oh yeah, and then there's Gemma, but I doubt that she's the guilty party.  I really liked where somebody above said  that Tom could've killed Danny because he wanted his phone.  Murders have happened over less!  But I think that Tom knows something if he isn't the killer, and was trying to run away to take off with the crazy hiker guy.  

• Love 1

I still think that Danny's murder goes back to the texts that Tom was scrubbing off of his phone and the $500 under the bed. Danny was clearly involved in something to be able to put together that amount of money. I don't think that Tom killed him but rather that they were both involved in the illegal activities. No clue as to who they were working with or for but I suspect it involved drugs.

• Love 1

I am new here-hi all, love this show.  I keep leaning towards Ellie's son and God I cannot imagine that he is dead too.  He is guilt-ridden I think.  This is a great show that keeps you guessing constantly.  My boyfriend, the dope that he is, read how Broadchurch ended---I told him --keep your mouth shut, I want to see how this plays out.

I thought Mark graduated in 99, and Beth and Paul in 2000?

I have no problem with Mark having a problem with Paul. The dude is creepy as hell, and he's been trying to insert himself into their tragedy since the beginning. Not just with Beth, which would be somewhat understandable if they're old friends. But giving interviews, speaking for the family, bringing up Danny's murder at someone else's funeral. And the way he keeps speaking FOR Beth TO Mark about the memorial service. Especially since Mark obviously wants nothing took do with him.

Paul needs to remind himself that Beth isn't his wife, Danny wasn't his kid, and take a step back already.

I have had the creeps about the priest from the beginning----did he do this to get close to Beth.  It is one theory that I have developed.  He is a litle too obsessed with her. 

• Love 1