Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: It's War

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I wonder if some of the Katie frustration is that she has used dessert as her go-to in some of the challenges?  I mean, we aren't very far into the season, but she did the thing at the baseball field with the popcorn and now cake.  I could actually see the judges getting frustrated with her if she skews towards dessert every time the challenge is "hard". 

How did Aaron's broth get dumped?  I somehow missed how it happened. 

To each their own-I prefer someone skewing to dessert when the challenge is "hard" versus another version of tuna tartare or beef carpaccio, because dessert is a complicated beast.  I prefer a double threat in the kitchen to a chef that sneers and scoffs at dessert and pastry.  Sorry, chefs, but a lot of times, the dessert is the best part of a meal.  

• Love 15
As far as Greg's speaking out is concerned, I never batted an eye.  It didn't strike me as ego, but rather as frustration.  In the previous episode, he was matched up with Aaron and Katsuji and had to keep them from playing war games the entire time.

IMHO, Gregory raised his hand (or nodded) as a natural reflex when Tom posed the question (perhaps not taking a second to realize the question was actually just meant for the losing team.) We've probably all done it in class or a meeting... raised our hand a little too fast and then pulled it down like "oops, they're not talking to me"! 

That's actually why I said Gregory's remark seemed stranger -- not worse, just stranger -- when I watched again, because oddly enough whereas they were talking about Aaron's dish, it was only second-hand.  Gregory piped up about whether Adam, who Tom was asking (essentially) if Adam should have nixed Aaron's dish.  Adam said basically that no, he knew that no one could tell him what to cook (and the implication was that Adam wouldn't then attempt to for anyone else). 

So what made it stranger was that Gregory really was kind of criticizing Adam for allowing Aaron's sub-par dish to go out.  That he, Gregory, would not have allowed that in any kitchen he was running.  It was a criticism of Adam's failure to lead as much as about Aaron's dish. 

I still don't think there was anything necessarily wrong with Gregory chiming in, but his motivation was murkier to me this time.

He wasn't doing a Horshack impression... standing there with his hand raised begging for the judges to call on him.  Padma (or Tom) saw him give an affirmative answer to the question and asked him to elaborate.

And I don't think his response was cocky, or rude or disrespectful. IMO it was the answer a professional; a leader would give. He basically said they've gotten to know everyone's skill set at this point ... and with that knowledge for the good of team he would done his best to guide Aaron from the overly-ambitious dish. And Aaron would have probably listened to him because he respects Gregory as a chef.

He respects Adam too and probably would have followed Adam's suggestion as well (it would have been a different story if the direction had come from Kerianne or God forbid Katie). But, as Adam said, even though he was "sort of" guiding the team... he was in no way taking on the role of EC because he was just trying to make sure his dish was good enough. To me Gregory was not just looking out for himself... but doing his best at looking out for the whole team. 

I'm also not buying into the theory that Gregory ended up stuck with Aaron and Katsuji in the last challenge because of yet-unseen asshatry on his part. I think that's just how it shook out. If he was an undercover ass (which he very well may be), I think the producers would be showing it. They sure have had no problem in the past showing jerks behaving badly... even if they are front-runners.

I'm just very happy to see him doing so well... I never would have predicted that after the very first show when he had to face-off against the first knifed cheftestant. I hope he can keep it up!

• Love 3
I would say that the judges can't give the same in depth analysis to a dessert as what they give to a savory dish.

So Hubert Keller was unqualified to be a main judge on Top Chef: Just Desserts?  If food critics can evaluate both savory and sweet courses, I don't see why chefs can't as well.

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 8

Aaron seems to have an actual problem with women, but he also told Gregory and Katsuji not to piss him off when he was on a team with them last week.  He not only is a hothead, he prides himself on being a hothead, apparently.   He thinks it's up to everybody else to not set off his personal bombs and if they do, he apparently thinks that's solely on them.  I really didn't like that little creep.  

Word. And I for one am done to death with competition shows involving actual professions seemingly promoting this as a "Winner's" attitude. Think of the poor head chefs out there in Realifeland that will have to put up with distracting, sabotaging little douches in their canteen.

• Love 3

Did anyone notice how there were two different types of talking heads in this episode?  There were the ones with lighting (the regular ones), and the ones without.  All of Aaron's talking heads, for example, were the normal ones (without his hat), but the last one was the other type (with his hat).  It was distracting.

I really, really dislike Katsuji. WTF was with him telling Katie not to whoop for their teammate.

I will admit I don't pay a ton of attention while watching this show, but Katsuji is not coming across well.  He has an interesting back story, but his personality is making me not want to like him anymore.

• Love 1

Hey, did you all know that Aaron did NOT go to culinary school???? Had he attended culinary school, he would be the next Bobby Flay!!

And, with all of the talk about Katie's cake being a cop-out, I'd love it if someone called out Katsuji for making a tostada for the second week in a row! The flavours sounded nice, but seriously, it is Top Chef, not Top Tostada!

• Love 4
I will admit I don't pay a ton of attention while watching this show, but Katsuji is not coming across well.  He has an interesting back story, but his personality is making me not want to like him anymore.

I LOVE Katsuji!  I don't have to interact with him 24/7 like the contestants do, but in the dosage we get of him, I think he's funny and fun!  My DH and I doubled over when Adam called him "the most complicated guy I've ever met," and Katsuji did a mouth fart!  While I'll allow that Katsuji isn't the world's greatest chef, and I don't see him winning this thing, for the sheer color that he brings, I get a huge kick out of him.

What is Katsuji going to do now that Aaron is history?  Katsuji was so hell bent on teaching Aaron a lesson or two!  Something tells me he'll find a new mission!

• Love 2

I am on board with calling BS on Tom in re to the fake dilemma of Adam not reining in Aaron.

Tom is a producer who knows he has to stir the pot - he also knows what a complete dick Aaron is.  No one could rein Aaron in.  Well maybe the cops.

• Love 1

The thing is, though, all those chefs are going to work with a lot of assholes in their careers. Look at Kristen and Josie. You can be a truly great chef, and your restaurant can go down if there's just the one griefer in your kitchen who's too far up their own ass to do their job. So, while the calculation may have been that they were good enough to win without Aaron having a decent dish, or that a loss would rid them of Aaron, or just that nobody wanted to be the next hydrant in his personal curbside tour, the team was still less strong than it should have been, and the team leader was OK with that.

It seems to me like the two things that most consistently piss Tom off are not putting the effort in to be excellent and being willing to accept bad food going out without trying to stop it. His team leader should have at least made the effort.

• Love 3

It seems to me like the two things that most consistently piss Tom off are not putting the effort in to be excellent and being willing to accept bad food going out without trying to stop it. His team leader should have at least made the effort.

I don't remember anyone on Aaron's team being appointed "team leader".  Gregory took it on himself for the other team, kinda, but this wasn't Restaurant Wars and teams or not (as acknowledged) they were all in it for themselves, and all any chef really had to beat was one other member of their own team.

• Love 2

One takeaway from the episode is puzzlement on the challenge design having these five battles presented that were totally irrelevant to the challenge.  What did the names of the battles have to do with anything? And also not having each team present a coherent meal of any sort. Katie presented a dessert, which at least made sense in its place in a whole course, and Aaron served a Japanese noodle soup, which would have made sense as a starting course.  A team could have presented five soups or five desserts if they wanted. 

• Love 3

I will admit I don't pay a ton of attention while watching this show, but Katsuji is not coming across well.  He has an interesting back story, but his personality is making me not want to like him anymore.

I go back and forth on him. I get the feeling he is not quite as daffy as he'd like us to believe.

• Love 2

"Dessert is probably the second highest source of PYKAGs in the game, right behind "not respecting the protein."

I thought scallops or risotto were one of the top two sources of PYKAGs! And now we have another scallop elimination- proving once again It's Not Top Scallop.

Edited by novhappy

I don't think his response was cocky, or rude or disrespectful. IMO it was the answer a professional; a leader would give. He basically said they've gotten to know everyone's skill set at this point ... and with that knowledge for the good of team he would done his best to guide Aaron from the overly-ambitious dish. And Aaron would have probably listened to him because he respects Gregory as a chef.

He respects Adam too and probably would have followed Adam's suggestion as well (it would have been a different story if the direction had come from Kerianne or God forbid Katie). But, as Adam said, even though he was "sort of" guiding the team... he was in no way taking on the role of EC because he was just trying to make sure his dish was good enough. To me Gregory was not just looking out for himself... but doing his best at looking out for the whole team. 

I'm also not buying into the theory that Gregory ended up stuck with Aaron and Katsuji in the last challenge because of yet-unseen asshatry on his part. I think that's just how it shook out. If he was an undercover ass (which he very well may be), I think the producers would be showing it. They sure have had no problem in the past showing jerks behaving badly... even if they are front-runners.

I find it sort of interesting that when Mei attempted to "guide" Katsuji and Katie when they were teamed up a few weeks ago there were plenty of of people on this forum saying that she should STFU, but when Gregory does the same thing this week people seem OK with it.

I have been on the road the past week so I didn't have time to comment before, but I thought that the reason Gregory might have had trouble finding teammates last week was his performance in the first challenge where he insisted on fileting the fish and then did the job slowly, which contributed to the elimination of his teammate.

• Love 1

It appears that "CakeGate" has been discussed to death. Everyone has stated their opinion, some more than once, so it's time to move on to other topics about this episode. Thanks!

Darn! I just got the chance to watch the episode again and check out the exchange. My comment would have most certainly resolved the whole debate.

I was hoping to see how the dashi broth ended up on the ground but it happened so fast. I'm not even sure the camera caught how it happened. I'm just glad it didn't turn into Dashi Gate.

I think the difference between what Mei did and what Gregory did was that Mei was such a bitch about it. She seemed to think she was so much better than the others and I didn't get that from Gregory. I've mellowed on her since then. I suppose she could still be making the same kind of bitchy remarks and they're just not showing them or she stopped when Gregory was doing most of the winning.

• Love 3
I find it sort of interesting that when Mei attempted to "guide" Katsuji and Katie when they were teamed up a few weeks ago there were plenty of of people on this forum saying that she should STFU, but when Gregory does the same thing this week people seem OK with it.

I had no issues with Mei's leadership during that challenge. At the time she wasn't as low-key with her confidence as Gregory... but, her confidence (some would call her cocky or arrogant) doesn't bother me... mainly because she can back it up. I like her a lot. I'd love to see her in the Final with Gregory.

I thought that the reason Gregory might have had trouble finding teammates last week was his performance in the first challenge where he insisted on fileting the fish and then did the job slowly, which contributed to the elimination of his teammate.

That makes sense. He was kind of a mess in that challenge, wasn't he? I think many of chefs and audience are surprised at how well he's done since that first episode.

I had no issues with Mei's leadership during that challenge. At the time she wasn't as low-key with her confidence as Gregory... but, her confidence (some would call her cocky or arrogant) doesn't bother me... mainly because she can back it up. I like her a lot. I'd love to see her in the Final with Gregory.

In retrospect, I have found a greater respect for Mei, and her attitude, because like you said, she can back it up.  Aaron only talked shit to chefs he thought he was superior to, I don't think he ever said, or would ever say a word to Mei because her food is on point and she seems like the sort that wouldn't take even an ounce of shit and would address said shit the minute it came out of his mouth.  Her talent, moxy, drive, and ability to take care of her business make her a woman I can respect, so right now I hope its her and Gregory in the finale.

• Love 2

That makes sense. He was kind of a mess in that challenge, wasn't he? I think many of chefs and audience are surprised at how well he's done since that first episode.

It might have also been strategy.  I mean, one team was going to win based on orders alone, and then I think two teams were gonna be on the bottom.  No one knew if anyone knew how to write a menu at that point and they know that Gregory is a great chef.  So, I might think "listen, I get on this guys team, and if I even fuck up a little, there will at least be one chef on my team that will be safe and that will be Gregory because his dish is going to be great, so my chances of going home if we lose are much greater."

Hey, did you all know that Aaron did NOT go to culinary school???? Had he attended culinary school, he would be the next Bobby Flay!!

And, with all of the talk about Katie's cake being a cop-out, I'd love it if someone called out Katsuji for making a tostada for the second week in a row! The flavours sounded nice, but seriously, it is Top Chef, not Top Tostada!

I thought about that, but damn, you put goat cheese and dates together and I can't talk shit on that!  Just thinking about it right now is making my mouth water.

• Love 1

I think the difference between what Mei did and what Gregory did was that Mei was such a bitch about it. She seemed to think she was so much better than the others and I didn't get that from Gregory. I've mellowed on her since then. I suppose she could still be making the same kind of bitchy remarks and they're just not showing them or she stopped when Gregory was doing most of the winning.

At the time, Katsuji and Katie were fresh off from being in the bottom.  Katsuji was on the same team with Mei when he almost lost the first Quickfire with chucking clams.  And she did stand by trying to guide him, whereas the other team members had to look away. 

And with the sauce, Mei did give props to Katsuji.

Gregory has deserved his wins.  But he's had a couple of snafus along the way.  Whereas Mei has been more consistent.  She hasn't made anything bad yet.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 1

I have been on the road the past week so I didn't have time to comment before, but I thought that the reason Gregory might have had trouble finding teammates last week was his performance in the first challenge where he insisted on fileting the fish and then did the job slowly, which contributed to the elimination of his teammate.

I didn't particularly like Mei's attitude because I didn't think she had really earned it and because she wasn't actually that great of a leader (though, ultimately, the team put out a composed dish that worked). But I am also not defending Gregory's actions at Judges Table, though I think he displayed much better skills as a leader during the challenge.  I don't really think he should have piped up at that time, though obviously, I am aware that it makes for good television.  But I am not sure why he felt compelled to offer his opinion - kicking the losing team while its already down is not good behavior, IMO.

I was hoping to see how the dashi broth ended up on the ground but it happened so fast. I'm not even sure the camera caught how it happened. I'm just glad it didn't turn into Dashi Gate.

I watched it three times trying to figure it out.  It was really bugging me.  It looked like he sat the pot down on the table and walked away.  Mei almost immediately started calling him and then she moved to try to stop it from falling, but too late.  That plus Hugh's blog where he wrote:

Gregory remarks that Aaron just likes to talk sh--. Aaron responds with, "It's war, Gregory." There is a kernel of truth to this, but if it is war, Aaron, then Gregory is kicking your ass. And if you are going to war, keep your dashi level.

leads me to believe that when he set the dashi on the table, he wasn't careful and it was partially on top of something which caused it to tip and spill.  Originally I thought it was just put on the edge of the table with not enough of the pot service on the table so it fell off. 

Edited by JenMcSnark
  • Love 1

I watched it three times trying to figure it out.  It was really bugging me.  It looked like he sat the pot down on the table and walked away.  Mei almost immediately started calling him and then she moved to try to stop it from falling, but too late.  That plus Hugh's blog where he wrote:

leads me to believe that when he set the dashi on the table, he wasn't careful and it was partially on top of something which caused it to tip and spill.  Originally I thought it was just put on the edge of the table with not enough of the pot service on the table so it fell off. 

That makes sense because Aaron was never shown as being very tidy and often as being frenetic when cooking.  So I could see him setting the dashi down quickly so he could grab something else and then it ends up that he set it on top of something else thus making it imbalanced.

• Love 2

Tonight (Sunday), I was browsing Eater.com and decided to check on Gregory Gourdet in Portland, OR.  Lo and behold, tonight was the deadline of Eater's Best Chef in Portland contest.  When I saw how the votes were going, I was thrilled to find that Greg was neck and neck with another chef for the title!  Sad to say, I couldn't get a post up here in case anyone would like to cast a vote for Greg.  We'll have to try to find out tomorrow who won.

In other news about Greg, his restaurant group is sending him to Denver for a while to be the executive chef at a beautiful, new restaurant in their group.  It's confusing because he will stay in Portland but be executive chef at both restaurants.   Anyway, it's an honor for Greg and a nod to his talent that he's been asked to do this.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

One takeaway from the episode is puzzlement on the challenge design having these five battles presented that were totally irrelevant to the challenge.  What did the names of the battles have to do with anything? And also not having each team present a coherent meal of any sort. Katie presented a dessert, which at least made sense in its place in a whole course, and Aaron served a Japanese noodle soup, which would have made sense as a starting course.  A team could have presented five soups or five desserts if they wanted

Definitely a WTH moment for me, too  It was basically a 1:1 challenge. Shooting off a musket at the start of each "battle" and having the contestants constantly use military cliches in their THs didn't make it any more dramatic or thematic. I'm normally not someone who gets irked at a challenge that doesn't tie in to location or have a well-defined theme, but this was so bad and stupid it bugged me the entire episode.

• Love 2

Tonight (Sunday), I was browsing Eater.com and decided to check on Gregory Gourdet in Portland, OR.  Lo and behold, tonight was the deadline of Eater's Best Chef in Portland contest.  When I saw how the votes were going, I was thrilled to find that Greg was neck and neck with another chef for the title!  Sad to say, I couldn't get a post up here in case anyone would like to cast a vote for Greg.  We'll have to try to find out tomorrow who won.

In other news about Greg, his restaurant group is sending him to Denver for a while to be the executive chef at a beautiful, new restaurant in their group.  It's confusing because he will stay in Portland but be executive chef at both restaurants.   Anyway, it's an honor for Greg and a nod to his talent that he's been asked to do this.

I have a bad feeling Gregory won't be Top Chef because it's too obvious he's the front runner. I hope I'm proven wrong because I'd love to see Gregory win!

• Love 1

I have a bad feeling Gregory won't be Top Chef because it's too obvious he's the front runner. I hope I'm proven wrong because I'd love to see Gregory win!

I really hope they get past that. So far, Gregory has that Harold/Stephanie thing going on where things get calmer and more productive when they're around because (they've learned? they were born with? they have?) the skill of leading without getting anyone's back up.

• Love 1