Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 11/17/14

Some MIT professor calling people stupid isn't a story.

The right wing is making it a story, and Fox News is helping of course. It's today's version of "death panels." The right wing is holding this guy up as definitive proof that the entire ACA was a fraud. 

Thanks, Chattygal. COBRA will give me the best coverage, but it will also be the most expensive. But the less expensive plans are with carriers that my doctors don't belong to. Sigh.

I mentioned the pre-existing condition because the ACA made it illegal for insurance companies to drop people, refuse coverage, or charge extortionate premiums due to a pre-existing condition. I'm nervous any changes to the ACA might change that.

To keep this on-topic: Seeing Louis was a nice surprise. Him and Bartleby Cobblepot in the same show was a treat.

• Love 2

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with coverage, dubbel zout. I hope things don't change drastically with the ACA, so that you can have the best options available at a reasonable price. I wish conservatives and libertarians would get with the program and support the shift to some form of universal healthcare. My parents had several surgeries over the 27 years they lived in Japan, and not once did it result in the threat of bankruptcy. It's an outrage that people without insurance have to debate whether or not their chest pain is worth going into debt for $3000+ so that the local ER can give them a cursory once-over and send them back on their way. A friend of mine has said, "I'll just die when I die." Because the financial burden of medical attention would be life-changing. She's older than me, and I always wish I could help somehow, but I'm in essentially the same boat.

I feel dumb asking this, but what is the joke about Cumberbatch's name? I keep feeling it whoosh over my head.

Wow, several shows this week challenged my will to live, but even as they were setting up for the pig segment my husband and I were practically assuming crash positions, and the only meat we eat is fish.   It was actually not as bad as I thought it would be --they really toned down the horror of what they are subjecting animals to in the name of profit -- which is good, because shocking without causing vomiting might actually help. 

I don't personally eat meat, but I don't have anything against the concept of the food chain.  It's just that there's no reason to be that cruel about it.  I don't think a pig needs to be read bedtime stories or given a lavender sachet under a memory foam pillow at night to induce pretty dreams. but there's space between that and the outright vicious torture of a feeling being in the name of profit.  Pig farmers you better hope that reincarnation is just a myth, because otherwise, I highly suspect you're coming back as pigs, over and over and over.  

I agree that Jon's interview with Jessica Chastain was a little weak, but I didn't get the sense he was bored by her. I think he couldn't talk about the movie and Chastain is wildly talented but also seemingly a very earnest and sincere person, so it's a little difficult to find room to riff with a woman who -- with a genuinely good heart and not at all in lecture or shaming mode -- talks about honoring an animal's sacrifice.  I like her a lot and enjoy her onscreen even in movies that weren't really worthy of her talent (The Debt, for example) , but she's not like Emma Stone (as a for instance) where there's a little bit of snarky fun always peeking through.  She's more like goodhearted amusement and that's hard to breeze through shooting the shit.  

I sort of wanted to jump off a building after the segment on Gruber.  Dude.   What a fucking mess you've made. 

I ping-pong between anger and complete despair every time Chris Christie appears on anything these days.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

It wasn't the bravest Cosby joke, but I'm super glad he did one at all. I think you've got it right, marceline. Ol' Puddin' Pops is in the rearview, getting smaller. 

Another nice British fellow in another nice Boss suit. I'm not a huge fan of the way suits are cut so skinny these days, but Redmayne was working it.

• Love 4

I never bought the "so many jobs" argument about the keystone pipeline, and I think the environmental risk is way too high. I know it's not popular, but if you want lots of actual jobs and energy security, build more nuclear plants. 

• Love 2

I didn't expect Jon to take a shot at Cosby. To me there's no better indication of how done that man is.

No kidding. That was a total "Oh no he DINT" moment.

This whole Keystone Pipeline things just slays me. I don't know how you can openly, shamelessly champion something that so obviously benefits no one but Big Oil. 

• Love 4

It's just the first stage of the U.S. take-over of Canada. Next, there'll be some staged threat to our new oil supply and we'll have to respond with drones and then soldiers to secure the oil...um...help our friendly neighbors to the north, like we do our buddies in the middle east. Because the only way to be independent of foreign oil is make the foreign country American.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

One of my favorite things about colonial history is the eagerness of the colonists to absorb Canada.  Every time England went to war, the colonists ran up to invade Canada.  And when they actually captured Montreal -- which was a big deal, it was very well situated for defense -- England gave it back.  I'm a little surprised that didn't lead to rebellion right then and there...

There are historical markers all along the Canadian side of the Niagara, from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, chronicling the many failed attempts to invade. Every time you pull into one of the little lay-bys to enjoy the view and wander over to the marker...yep, kicked our asses again. Damned Canucks!

It's just the first stage of the U.S. take-over of Canada. Next, there'll be some staged threat to our new oil supply and we'll have to respond with drones and then soldiers to secure the oil...um...help our friendly neighbors to the north, like we do our buddies in the middle east. Because the only way to be independent of foreign oil is make the foreign country American.

I remember Jon mentioned something like that at a stand up concert I attended in Toronto nine years ago. He basically said that if America were to ever run out of natural resources, they would just go up to Canada's place, knock on the door, and politely tell them to get out. That didn't sit well with one audience member, as he heckled to Jon that Canada burned the White House down in 1814. Jon laughed at that, saying things are much different since that time nearly 200 years ago, adding mockingly "Oooooo, don't mess with the Maple Leaf!" He finished it off by telling the heckler that the difference between the two countries is about 300 nuclear warheads.

Jon always likes to point out how us Canadians are so polite and that it would be so easy to take over the country. He even pointed out that he thought he could take over Canada himself in about two days. I brought that up with him when I went to my first taping session back in July 2006, and then bluntly asked him "Are you ever going to carry it out?" He answered that his busy schedule made it difficult for him to launch an all out invasion of Canada, but promised that he would get around to conquering us hosers and that he was looking forward to visiting my city of... "I'm sorry, where are you from again?" I told him where in Canada I lived, and he said "Ah yes, (name of town where I live). Wonderful place. Best known for its...uh...(quizzical look on his face, eyes peering all over the place, struggling to come up with something)... beer!

Eight years later, we're still waiting. :D

• Love 1

I assume the argument is, or will be, that it'll benefit the public good by making us less reliant on foreign oil, not counting Canada.

Yes, but - it's still oil. People do know that oil is a finite resource, don't they? The solution to our energy problems isn't going to be finding oil elsewhere. I don't get how anyone can defend a position that's essentially "more oil = good!" Or downplay the disastrous consequences of a leak or spill from this pipeline and what it could do to the water supply, it's truly a doomsday scenario. To support this pipeline is either hopelessly naive or hopelessly disingenuous, and in the case of politicians I always lean towards that latter. Their promise of "millions" of jobs will never come true and, God help us, if and when this pipeline causes some kind of environmental catastrophe the likes of which has never been seen in the US, none of them are going to take responsibility for it.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3